Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• There is a TSB regarding the huge amount of bass in the autotone pre-sets. The dealer can reprogram it. TSB as follows:

Bulletin No.: 01-08-44-012

Date: October, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Radio Bass Level Too High
    (Adjust Bass Level Using Tech 2)

Models:

2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo - Built Prior to October 2001 with Premium Audio System (RPO U03)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the radio produces too much bass.

Correction

A procedure using the Tech 2 has been developed to reprogram the audio system to adjust the bass level. This reprogram is limited to the settings in the Auto Tone modes. In the manual settings, the excessive bass condition can be easily overridden. The Tech 2 allows you to toggle between the new setting (reduced bass) and the original factory setting. Use the following procedure:

Important : The Tech 2 must contain software version 21.007 or later available from Techline starting August 2001, on the TIS 2000 version TIS 09/2001 data update or later.

1. Install the Tech 2 to the vehicle and power on.

2. Select "Diagnostic" from the menu.

3. Build the vehicle from the menu options.

4. Select "Radio" from the menu.

5. Select "Special Functions" from the menu.

6. Select "Bass Frequency Response" from the menu.

7. Read the Setting Options display and select continue.

8. Select "New Cal" and save options.

^ If you select "Factory Setting", it will calibrate the bass frequency response back to factory defaults.

^ If you select "New Cal", it will calibrate the bass frequency response to give less response when using the bass knob.
  • scudmanscudman Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Garypen, that will take care of the autotone problem.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I had a interesting creaking/clicking noise in the front of my '01 LS for a long time. Some said it was the notorious Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS), others thought it was the cradle which also had some issues in late 2000/early 2001 model years. The problem didn't really follow any of the TSB descriptions perfectly so dealers tried a few things like the cradle shim kit and even a new steering rack. What finally fixed the problem was the 'lube kit' for the ISS. Everything up front is great now. Previous symptoms were tapping feeling in the steering wheel and pedals, and light tapping noise or sometimes many rapid tapping noises which makes a creaky type sound and feel. This happened mostly when driving under 50 MPH and while turning, and a lot while braking or driving in a parking lot. Very annoying and got worse as time went on.

I don't believe the ISS has actually been re-designed. This lube kit is supposed to be a permanent fix. So far so good for me.

May be your problem too.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    It finally happened. The first thing that is going bad on my 2000 LS. It had to wait until the warranty went away. The LS just turned38000 miles and is 29 months old. I get a light klunking noise while turning and either accelerating slightly or de accelerating slightly. As the car warms up and the suspension gets exercised, it seems tobe more pronounced. Can anybody post the service bulletin for the steering rack lube fix??? Would appreciate it as it would save me looking through several hundred posts. Thanks. Everything else on the LS is super. Enjoy the ride.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I am sure someone will post the bulletin for this item. When you get the bulletin, take it to the Chevy dealership where you bought the car and see what they are willing to do for you even though you are just over the limit for mileage. 4 years ago my wifes Cavaliers airconditioning quit and we were 4 thousand miles over the warranty. I spoke to the service manager and Chevy paid half of the cost to repair. Because this steering shaft seems to be a culprit in the 2000 and early 2001's, with the bulletin in hand I am willing to believe they will help you out.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Doesn't anybody look at this forum on the weekends? Isn't there something else y'all should be doing at work?

20 posts/day weekdays and 1/day weekends. Hmm.

I love my '01 LS. Great car.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Thanks charts2....I plan to do that even though my selling dealer is not known for his service excellence, and the one closer to my home is worse. With a history of purchasing more than 30 Chevrolets. over the years, perhaps they will not recognize the 38000 miles. Enjoy the ride.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I had a chance to look over the "new car" issue of Consumer Reports this weekend (didn't notice when it came out, it might be a year old by now). Nice to see that not only do they recommend the Impala based on it's repair history and such, but that it is also one of the safest family sedans out at the moment (only trailing the VW Passat and Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus twins, but I don't remember if they recommended the Chrsyler product).

Good handling, good fuel economy, safe, reliable, and comfortable - what's not to love!?!?!?
  • Did they say anything about the interior materials?
    I think they said something about cheap plastics in the interior, and they also complained about the back seat being too low/short/something. But overall they were positive about the car; nice to see it compared more to a car like the Passat instead of the Taurus.
  • I'm most impressed with the engine/performance, myself. It really moves when hitting the pedal. On paper, it may not be as "powerful" as some other sedans. But, moves. The SC version should be pretty cool.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Yep, the SC version should be, indeed.

Anyone know when this baby is due in the showrooms? And how that compares to when the Grand Prix GTP is due?
  • You know what's weird? It's performance has gotten better, as it gets older. It's only just hit 11K.
    Has anyone else noticed anything like that?
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Actually garypen, My 2002 Impala just hit 13000 miles and it's running better than ever. I just took a trip from Baton Rouge, LA to Gainsville, FL to watch LSU crush Florida at the Swamp and now that I'm back in BR, my car is running awesome. It was about a 17 hour trip doing an average of 75mph. Now my car's running better than ever!
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Yep, my '01 LS is nearing 17K miles and it drives and rides like a dream...very smooth car.

Now that I have my 2002 MINI Cooper, I don't drive the Impala as much during the weekend (The MINI is highly addictive!) as the MINI is now my official weekend toy!.

Still, very pleased with the Imp and the car continues to perform like a champ. I have also noticed that the fuel economy has substantially improved over time.
    If you haven't already done so, you might consider going to the "MyGMLink.com site ( https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/chevrolet/home ) and signing up. In addition to giving you a place to keep track of maintainence and get info on recalls and such, you can also download a pdf of the 2000 (and I assume other years as well) Impala owners manual.

I did this the other day, and in flipping through it, discovered a step I'd left out of programming my Homelink to communicate with my new garage door opener. Kind of a handy thing to have on your computer, if you want to look up something at work, or don't want to have to trudge outside to get the manual out of the glovebox.

• Didn't you get an owner's manual with the car?
  • bluechevybluechevy Member Posts: 3
    Hello guys, just wondering what size fits our cars
    do you go with the 16 inch or drop to 15 inch tires for winter?

Also what brand/model is good ?

Thanks
  • Personally, I'd recommend 16" tires. They're much easier to mount on the 16" rims.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    why would you change tires for winter?

oh.....it's one of those snow belt things I guess.

((-;

Tony
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    I bought a set of 4 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice last fall. Bar none, the best winter tires I have ever driven on. Wonder what kind of winter tires police use? These are those tires. They stick to the road like glue.

Another excellent winter tire to consider is the Michellin Alpin series.

These tires are expensive ($100+USD per tire) but consider the amount of your insurance deductible and the cost of collision repair, and it makes sense. Plus there is no better feeling than being able to drive around like a proper human being in winter, while everyone else is doing the ice capades.

The rubber compound is what makes the winter tire better. The best winter tires will have a rubber that doesn't feel oily or greasy to the touch. Who wants to drive on an oily greasy tire when it's already slippery?

Make sure you go to a tire store and talk to somebody knowledgable so they can recommend a tire best suited for your area's climate. If you can get away with all season tires, go for it because your gas tank will thank you.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Saw a "Southern Coach" edition Silverado pickup with painted mouldings.
    Bumper cover(partial) and side view mirrors and grille were painted body color.(Arrival Blue)
    Looked okay from a distance but the rough textured plastic with glossy paint showed all the dimples in the plastic.
    I wonder how you would get the wax out of those bumps?
    Don't think I would paint the mouldings unless they were smoother.
    maybe sand the bumps off to make it smoother......
  • That's hard to do with plastic.
    Speaking of painting plastic...
    I'm heading over to my friend's house now to see how the bumper cover came out, and pop it back on the car. My Impala's butt has been naked for a week now. What must the neighbors have been thinking?
    Have you chosen your next ride yet?
  • I chose it 10 months ago, when I got the XJS.

BTW, the bumper came out great. My friend is amazing. He repaired and painted it for less than the cost of a new unpainted one. I'm gonna ask him to repaint and clearcoat my XJS wheels.

I washed the Impala yesterday, and detailed the interior a few moments ago. Just like new. I mean it.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    I currently have a 2000 LS and have been looking at the 2003 LS Sport. Seems really nice. I noticed it has a 140 MPH speedo, however I know my LS tops-off at 105-107 MPH.

My question is, did GM up the speed of when the governor kicks in on the LS Sport or is it strickly for appearance? I'd like to think that a 140-MPH speedo means that I can at least take it to 120 or 130 before any governors kick in.
    No it's just for apprearance. Hence "Sports Appearance Package". But I do want to get that speedo and put it in my Impala... My car will be able to make all the numbers on that speedo soon.....
    Thanks. Seems kinda stupid to me, if the car can't even go close to that speed.
    108 mph. On all Impalas except for 9C1 & 9C3.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Twill be interesting to see what said governor is set at for the supercharged Impalas due soon.

Speaking of which, anyone know when?
    Who knows...... Since 1999/2000 I've been hearing about this speculation that has yet to happen. I'm glad I didn't delay my purchase waiting for this vaporware of a vehicle.
    I currently have one of the early generation 2000 Impala LS's. You know, the one that was plagued with issues like the cradle, ISS, sub-par stereo sound, plus a host of other issues. I currently have 50k miles and was looking a new cars. Like it or not, I really like the function/feature you get in an Impala for the money.

Is there any reason NOT to get the 2003 LS with the Sport Appearance package?
  • sim3sim3 Member Posts: 66
    I recently moved to Finland, taking my '01 LS with me. It's officially the only "new" Impala at least in Finland - we do have a few '96 SS-Impalas, but mine is the only 200x-model. Problems so far include only fitting in European parking spaces and garages ;)

To my knowledge, Impalas aren't imported to any country in Europe. We'll see how difficult it is to get any other than basic maintenance done.
    Does anyone recall the TSB number for the ISS issue with the 2000 LS models?
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Well I had the problem of feeling the clicks and clunks as I would
    turn the wheel at slow speed for the last couple of weeks. You
    wouldnt hear it, just feel it in the palm of your hand ever so
    slightly as you would turn the wheel at slow speed. My Impala LS is a 2001 build date of 12/00 with 23466
    miles. Today I took it in to the dealer, where they removed
    the ISS and did the lube procedure as per the TSB. All in all it
    took a little over an hour to complete the job. The problem is gone,
    steering feels great(never any play or being loose)but just feels
    secure with no clicks or clunks turning the wheel.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I believe it is 01-02-32-001A. A summary of the fix is in the How-To section on http://www.impalahq.com
  • Is there any reason NOT to get the 2003 LS with the Sport Appearance package?

Price? A fully equuipped LS Sport (PEG2, Cassette/CD, XM Radio, Moonroof) has an MSRP of almost $29K. OTOH, deep discounts, rebates, special financing, and GM Card points probably make it more attractive.

Does anyone recall the TSB number for the ISS issue

Bulletin No.: 01-02-32-001A

Steering - Clunk Noise While Turning

Date: November, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Clunk Noise From Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate Intermediate Shaft)

Models:
    2001-2002 Buick Regal
    2000-2002 Cadillac Seville
    1997-2002 Chevrolet Cavalier
    2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
    2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora
    1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    2000-2002 Pontiac Bonneville, Sunfire

This bulletin is being revised to add models and change the Correction information.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001 (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Typically, the clunk noise will be heard once for every 180°of steering wheel rotation in either direction for J-cars (Cavalier and Sunfire). However, some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

Important: Do not replace the following steering gear part numbers:^ GM P/N 26063582
    ^ GM P/N 26056808
    ^ GM P/N 26031078
    ^ GM P/N 26079915
    ^ GM P/N 26055468
    ^ GM P/N 26079917
    ^ GM P/N 26079929
    ^ GM P/N 26081813
    ^ GM P/N 26080057
    ^ GM P/N 26088612
    ^ GM P/N 26086001
    ^ GM P/N 26088334
    ^ GM P/N 26088539
    ^ GM P/N 26068964
    ^ GM P/N 26058681
    ^ GM P/N 26068967
    ^ GM P/N 26088606
    ^ GM P/N 26067451
    ^ GM P/N 26087241
    ^ GM P/N 26087416

^ Do not replace the following intermediate shafts:

^ GM P/N 26050292
    ^ GM P/N 26078302
    ^ GM P/N 26079240
    ^ GM P/N 26073020
    ^ GM P/N 22680754

This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.

Cause

This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a "slip stick" condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.

Correction

Remove the intermediate steering shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the shaft with a Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098237.
    I recently moved to Finland, taking my '01 LS with me. It's officially the only "new" Impala at least in Finland - we do have a few '96 SS-Impalas, but mine is the only 200x-model. Problems so far include only fitting in European parking spaces and garages ;)

To my knowledge, Impalas aren't imported to any country in Europe. We'll see how difficult it is to get any other than basic maintenance done.

The Impala is sold in Israel, Mexico, venezuela, Chile and Canada.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Wow, will you be able to get warranty service over there?
  • Nevermind that! Will you be able to get cheeseburgers? Priorities gentlemen, please.
    Isn't Finland the country that has speeding fines based on your income?
    SIM3 can get his Impala serviced at any GM/Chevy/Opel dealership in Finland or mainland Europe (Even as far as Turkey or Russia). By the way, American cars in Finland are considered to be "Status Symbols". Congrats! I guess now you are driving a very unique car in the streets of Helsinki!.
  • justin6401justin6401 Member Posts: 2
    Have a great Impala Day!!!
    Thanks garypen.
  • No probs. I thought I'd be as helpful as I can with the days ticking away on my Impala ownership.
    As of today production YTD is 200,612!
    Just picked up a new 2003 LS with the Sport Appearance Package last night. I traded in my 2000 LS. The 2003 is nice. It seems to ride and feel much tighter than my 2000.
  • justin6401justin6401 Member Posts: 2
    Many happy miles ahead with your new 2003 LS. What color? What options came with the car?