Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The 110,000 mile Impala owner here again. Nope, no pizzas delivered...I chase roller coasters and do some government work in the car! It's been to Maine, Florida, Missouri and all points in between, from its base in West Virginia!

The Impala is a fine car, it's only non-wear repair so far has been a headlight switch (it has had brakes and tires).

It will probably be replaced by an SS or a Pontiac GP GTP (2004) or even a Mazda6! Don't know yet.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Its good to know that you have been happy with your Impala...all along you have given us updates. Thats important for other Impala owners to know how dependable this car is. travelling as much as you do RELIABILITY is near the top of your list of priorities..I am sure!!
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I was just going to post a message asking if remote starters voided the warrenty. Ugg, thats stupid. Does that mean only the dealership can install one? Or not even that?
    Read your warranty book that came with your Impala. It explains that within the first few pages...
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Can't understand why GM makes engines with odd fill capacities, e.g. 4.5 qts. on the 3.8 engine with the filter. Why don't they make it a nice round 5 qts. so you can just empty the jug?? Any opinions on whether adding the extra .5 qt makes any diff?
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    "I was just going to post a message asking if remote starters voided the warrenty. Ugg, thats stupid. Does that mean only the dealership can install one? Or not even that?"

Did you read my post? Will not void the warranty unless it caused the problem on the warranty claim.
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    All I can say is WOW I really love this car. I brought the 2002 LS Sport with all options. The car is absolutely beautiful! The car is just phat! Love the heated leather seats and the diamond cut wheels. The radio kicks azz too so they must have fixed the problems found in the 00 and 01 model years. I still want to add a subwoofer just cause the trunk is so big anyway.

It is fast too I don't care what anyone says. Where can you find a big car like this that can keep up with most of the cars on the road and gets this kind of gas mileage? It should be even better with a Thrasher CAI and a better exhaust setup. When you look at everything that this car has it is very hard to beat. Sorry rice boys.

What about traction control? Will I get better acceleration off the line with it enabled or disabled?
    Congrats, man! I have a 2002 LS. I agree the heated seats are cool and the Radio is adequate. Power is respectable.

About the Thrasher CAI and Exhaust: Get exhaust if you want deeper sound/tone, but you won't get any performance from it. Same with the Thrasher CAI, you won't see much performance from it. I would suggest against the Thrasher CAI. I had it and sold it. I now have a Custom Fenderwell Intake that I made myself (easy) for about $30 plus filter and it is much better than the Thrasher. Better performance. Just intake and exhaust won't give you much gain, but you will breath a little easier on the highway. Also intake is neccessary if you have plans for other performance mods. Let me know and I can send you my directions for the Fenderwell Intake (FWI).

For the track, you want your Traction Control OFF!! It robs a ton of power from the engine. This is big!

Look on the Accessories & Modifications board for my Mods present and future. Email me or post if you have any questions. Good Luck!
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    Thanks for the advice. I will check out the MODS forum. It sounds like you really know your stuff. If you don't mind I would love to get a list of your mods and your directions for the Fenderwell Intake. My email is mreina@si.rr.com
    Toyota Car sales in the United States for November 66,171, Ford 59,143, Chev 46,470. For the FIRST TIME IN US HISTORY an off shore manufacture will be #1 in car sales in the US for this year 2002..... Year to date Toyota car sales 774,000, Ford 724,00, Chev 682,000.......

Truck sales Ford and Chev still out in front. To date 2002 Ford truck sales 3Million. Chev 2.8M Toyota closing every year this year 1.5M... It goes to show American manufactures are falling behind even if their quality is getting better...From 1957 to 1966 Impala was #1 in sales every year except 1958.... The times are a changin'...............

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey, congratulations on your new Impala, and welcome to the Town Hall!

I need to let you know that terms such as "[non-permissible content removed]" are not used here due to their derogatory ethnic origins. We appreciate your understanding.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email (click on my name above for the address).

Have fun and again, welcome!
    I sent you an email with mods/instructions. Let me know if you got it.
    I would say times "have" changed. I think that GM can only go up from now on. GM ruled the 50s, 60s, 70s, and half of the 80s. The later 80s and 90s the percieved quality slipped. I think it's back now. GM is getting their name back as a good manufacturer. My prediction is GM's car sales will go up for the next few years. And for those truck sales, combine Chevy AND GMC (it's the same truck after all) and see what the numbers are......
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    ...have been improving for a few years now. There was a time, I believe, not so long ago, when Ford trucks were outselling Chevy and GMC trucks combined! Nowadays, at least it's gotten to the point that GMC and Chevy combined outsell Ford.

I wonder if it'll get to the point that the Impala ever outsells the Taurus? The Impala's remained fairly consistent since it came out for 2000, while the Taurus has been stumbling. It'd be nice to see Chevy back on top. I think the Taurus has outsold its Chevrolet competition every year it's been out except for 1986, when the Celebrity outsold it.
    I don't remember when Ford outsold Chevy and GMC in pickup trucks combined. The top seller was always based on the Ford F 150 pickup compared to the Chevrolet Silverado... GM makes their money on Trucks, Trucks, and more Trucks... According GM's Richard Wagoner and JD Power & Associate Tom LIbby, General Motors loses money on every SMALL car it manufacturers..including the Cavalier, Sunfire, Prism, and Saturn line... hard to believe but its true...Almost 60% of Chevrolet sales are trucks... and the % is growing..I believe they only make cars anymore to keep the CAFE numbers down low enough to keep the gas gussling taxes down on their money making truck lines...Chevrolet makes from $6,000 to $9,000 on every Suburban it sells...If they didn't sell a bunch of Cavaliers and Sunfires, GM truck purchasers would be paying thousands more for gas taxes..(or would they? they might look at the competition ) Now I understand the US government is going to increase the CAFE numbers again...The only way to keep the gas taxes down on the money making trucks is to offer more fuel efficient vehicles (purchase of Daewoo)that offers 2 car lines for sale in the US under $13K and are very fuel efficient or sell more Cavaliers and Sunfires........According to JD Power Chevrolet and Pontiac the youth divisions of General Motors only 33% of their car sales are sold to ages 35 and under, where most other off shore companies have much higher numbers...Example Volkswagen 47% sold to under 35 year olds...The Impala in its 4th year has very few or newer upgrades since its inception...Car definitely needs to be refreshened quickly!! Hopefully, when my 2001 LS (that I like) is gone, if I look at Impala again I hope I won't be buying the exact same car..Come on GM get your car lines updated NOW!!!!!!!!
    "I wonder if it'll get to the point that the Impala ever outsells the Taurus? The Impala's remained fairly consistent since it came out for 2000, while the Taurus has been stumbling. It'd be nice to see Chevy back on top. I think the Taurus has outsold its Chevrolet competition every year it's been out except for 1986, when the Celebrity outsold it."

I am NO Ford fan, but the new Taurus looks ok, and from what I see on the street, it's selling very well. It's a much better version than the ones they've had recently.

And I don't believe GM loses money on the small cars. They just don't Make much money. But if what you say about the gas taxes are true (small cars can cancel out the trucks), then that's the reason, and you're right!
  • Here's a kooky idea for GM to consider. How about they make their trucks more fuel efficient? Pretty nutty, huh?
    I'm not sure exactly why the trucks guzzle the gas so much. Of course they have huge V8s in em (can't change that), and they're gonna weigh a lot (can't change that), and they have low gearing (it's a truck), but that doesn't really tell me why they are soooo fuel inefficient. Chevy/GMC trucks are the best trucks on the road. Wonder why they guzzle so much gas....
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    GM trucks get as good or better milegae thant heir competitors. They are certainly more fuel efficient than Dodge's products.
    If you compare Gm's truck with the 8.1L V8 and four wheel drive on the HD chassis with Quadrasteer then mileage is dismal.

THat same truck with the 5.3L in 2wd can pull 20 mpg on theh highway no problem.

As far as the future GM will be the first with Displacement on Demand and will offer a 6 speed auto. Expect well over a 10% increase on the higway with these features.

next is all aluminum engines, then composite beds
    250-400lb savings (already available) then composite doors, hoods etc.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    My 2K Silvberado 4x2 truck always gets mid 16's to low 17 mpg in my city/highway driving since I bought it new. 20-21 mpg on the highway is normal when not pulling a trailer.

This is 8-10 mpg less than our 2K Ls Impala. It is an apples and oranges comparo though.

Our 2001 Ford F-150 Super Crew averages 1 to 2 mpg less than the Chevy truck does.

At the prices they charge for the trucks there must be a large profit in them.

Tony
  • I hope GM's new "displacement on demand" technology works better than there previous 8-6-4 fiasco.
    I will be steering clear on any 'displacement on demand' power train......

I worked on some of that garbage in those days...most often you had to disable the system so the car was driveable.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I think new technology will ensure displacement on demand will be reliable, Air bags on 70's Oldsmobiles were not all that swift but, todays air bags are reliable. Same with early automatic transmissions, cruise control etc. A manufacturer cannot afford less than good quality today. Enjoy the ride.
    Like any new MAJOR automotive tech changes, it takes a couple years or so to work out the bugs..and it all comes with a PRICE!!
    Quote; "Like any new MAJOR automotive tech changes, it takes a couple years or so to work out the bugs..and it all comes with a PRICE!! "

=========== yes that is true. look at the aluminum sub frame under the 2K Impala.

There were a few troubles. Our 2K LS was one of them.
    "yes that is true. look at the aluminum sub frame under the 2K Impala"

The Aluminum Sub Frame is now a great plus for the Impala. The Grand Prix owners only wish they had one. Some are even switching to them (ala the fastest W-Body with original powertrain @ 11.7 sec.)
    It looks like nostalgia fans of the Impala will have to settle for a Pontiac GTO as the All-American rear wheel, V-8 driver available in 04, also know as the Holden Monaro (what a name, must mean something in Aussie, anyway thank you folks down under and now the families, police and other fleet drivers can get on with daily life in their FWD Impalas!
    Yep, the GTO will fill the void for now. But, it will come with a price. Try $35000+ but after a while (say 2006) we'll have most cars on a RWD V8 platform. Then it'll be back to the good stuff.
    CAFE standard of 27.5 mpg for cars will not allow too many V-8s and standard is likely to go up in the future so car makers are not likely to return to V-8 platforms on a large scale IMO. Howabout a straight six and RWD?
    Right, yes that makes sense, but it's kinda hard to have a small car with FWD and V8, but very easy to make that same small car have RWD and V8. What I was say was (and this is confirmed by Lutz as "truth"), GM is returning to mostly RWD platforms by 2006 and that gives the possiblility for V8's in midsized cars.
    CAFE will allow it you just have to be willing to pay a gas guzzler tax.

2003 Mustang Cobra has a $1000 tax added to the price.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Could I get some instructions emailed to me, too? I would like to see how you made it. I will send you an email so that you can receive my email address. I have a 2001 Impala LS and am thoroughly enjoying owning it. Thanks for your help!
    For anybody who wants the instructions for the Fenderwell Intake, it's now posted at www.impalahq.com in the How-To section. Go take a look, and if you have any questions you can email me at atbear@cox.net. Good Luck!
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    "have a 2001 Impala with 25K miles. The low coolant light came on last week. I added some water. Checked it agian last night, the level is low, again. Checked around the intake. It appears that there has been leakage through the intake coing out by right rear cornner. I think this explain the anti freez smell I have noticed once in while. I have read the BB, and it appears that others had similar problems, but no one has detected what I have found out. Any suggestions????? "

I am having the same exact problem with my '01 Impala LS with 18.5K miles on it.

Since just about a month ago, I started to detect a strong coolant smell coming from the engine compartment. There was still coolant in the recovery tank, albeit at or below the COLD mark (This is with a hot engine).

I have never had any overheating problems or any "Low Coolant" warning messages. However, knowing about the tendency of these cars to have warped intake manifolds with low miles, I decided to take the car in for a pressure test.

The pressure test, according to them, did not show any leaks in the system. They sent me home and again today the antifreeze smell has intensified. I checked the recovery tank and the little bit of antifreeze left there is well below the COLD mark (Engine is hot and the coolant should be at the HOT mark or at least halfway between HOT and COLD).

The car is going in tomorrow morning. This will be the second visit for the same problem. I have high suspicions about the gasket or the plastic intake manifold with a slow leak.

I checked the oil and it looks crystal clear and very clean. I have no white smoke coming out the pipe which would suggest coolant leaking into the engine.

Not happy about this, let's see what the dealer has to say.
    Dropped off my car this morning at the dealer. The Service Manager took the time to go over the car and in his opinion the Coolant could be leaking from the top of the engine. No low coolant light, no overheating yet, but the coolant level in the recovery tank is extremely low. There is no doubt as to the presence of a problem.

The Gasket/Manifold seems to be a very big problem in the 3800 V6. This is a stain on an otherwise smooth, fuel efficient, powerful, durable and reliable engine hardware.

The Coolant smell is aweful. Let's see what the dealer has to say, doesn't seem to be a very simple repair based on what I have read elsewhere in the 'net.
    I thought this problem was only on GM cars with the 3800 engine year 2000 and before? Anyone know?.. Its an expensive job if you are out of warranty......
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    E-MAIL me at cabellojo@c-b.com for more picture and better non-E-bay price...
    It appears the defective gasket/manifold problem affects a myrad of GM passenger car V6 engines. Most notably, the 3.1, 3.4 and our 3.8L.

Problem seems to be dragging since about the 1995 model year to the present day.

You bet this is an expensive repair outside of warranty....$700 to $800 as it is very labor extensive.

Haven't heard from the dealer yet. I very much doubt the car will be ready today. Probably the car will spend Xmas at the dealer...I don't know yet.

In the mean time, I am enjoying driving around in my MINI Cooper.

Keeping an Impala beyond the limited warranty period without any extended service contract protection is simply insane in my book.
    Drivinisfun, could you please ask your service advisor what the problem is with the manifold on the current Impalas?.. A couple weeks ago "The car connection" reported that there might be a possible recall for the so called plastic manifold gasket problem on 3800 series engines that have plagued 1996-2000 GM models...Its obvious with the posts here in the past year the Impala is also vulnerable to premature COSTLY manifold problems.........(Come on GM get these costly defective parts under control or you will lose even more next time customers!!)
    It seems to me that the problem is also present in 2001 Impalas as well (And perhaps in other GM products with the 3800 V6). I will try to get some more info from my service manager but I am waiting to hear from them.

It appears to be that even when a pressure test is done the first time, the test does not immediately reveal a problem in the manifold.

Bottom line is that I have a leak somewhere, my coolant tank level is very low and my car is being looked at the dealer.

Right up to this point I have been very happy with the car but if this gasket/manifold problem is a fact of life with the 3800 V6, then I will reconsider keeping the car for longer than the factory 3 year warranty.
    This "cooland leak" problem is not the same problem that is in the recall.

"Keeping an Impala beyond the limited warranty period without any extended service contract protection is simply insane in my book."

Why??
    Simple, repair costs. For instance, the problem with warped/leaking manifolds if it happens outside of warranty is a $800 repair. I personally don't have that kind of money lying around for whenever a quality defect decides to show up during ownership. I see extended warranties the same way people see insurance policies. To me it is cheaper paying $1K $2K upfront for a 2 or 3 year extended warranty than reaching inside my pocket for unexpected repair costs. Labor is very expensive in modern cars.

If you car experiences a failed transmission or a seized engine, the cost of the parts alone will have paid for the cost of the extended warranty, time and time again.

I believe that the Impala is a very reliable car, unfortunately some critical components such as the thermo-plastic manifold are not durable over the long haul.
    Well then did you mean "keeping and Impala" or "keeping a car" past the warranty period without an extended warranty is insane? Because all cars will have their bugs. The Impala is pretty darn durable, and I don't think it should be called out. Maybe it was just a speech misunderstanding.
    The Impala is a great car, I have no doubts about that. But, the plastic manifold intake is unfortunately dubious. Other 3800 V6 Impala owners have had similar coolant related problems and I can recall two posters that have had the gasket already replaced.

Why cars with less than 20K miles are having these gaskets replaced? Why??
    Most of you guys remember my coolant leak.

It was described as a "warped upper manifold base."
    How many miles did you have in the car at the time your manifold was replaced?
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The insurance companies set the warranty price based on the amount of risk involved. They are betting that their cost (repair bill) will be lower than the cost of the warranty. Even the extended warranty offered by the manufacturer is calculated that way. So if you use the warranty, you make out, but chances are, you won't (or the issuing company would charge more.)

Edmunds is only a tiny sampling of owners and of those here, only a few have had this problem. We are only a small representation of the ten's of thousands of 3800 engines out there. It's hard to say either way just based on what we see here. Another thing to consider is if this is an epidemic, there would be a recall. These cars are part of taxi, police, and rental fleets. If this was widespread, red flags would be going up all over.

We received a letter from Saturn a few years ago. They found a problem with cracked blocks on the same model that we owned. The letter was to inform us of the problem and if we experienced it, Saturn would cover it up to 100,000 miles. We never had a problem. So it's not inconceivable that if there is a problem, that Chevy wouldn't do likewise.

If I remember correctly, some of the coolant issues was flashing on the filler neck and a faulty coolant level switch.

This reminds me of the radio, engine cradle, disk brake, discussion issues.

I did not pick up the extended warranty and I plan on keeping my car way after the original warranty expires. I am taking a gamble and I may lose. Of course, I can rebuild engines so I have a little edge here. =)
    Does anyone know that when they repair or replace your manifold or manifold gasket(impala) if they are using NEW updated parts or is this possible after the repair the same problem can creep up again 15 or 20k down the road.....

The latest that Edmunds states is the 2004 Impala SS will debut in the fall of 2003...Doesn't make much sense if they are revamping the car for 2005....
    "Another thing to consider is if this is an epidemic, there would be a recall. These cars are part of taxi, police, and rental fleets. If this was widespread, red flags would be going up all over."

Hardly, based on my 'net searches, most GM vehicles equipped with the 3.1, 3.4 and now recently the 3.8L V6 engines have experienced premature failure of the intake manifold. There are thousands of complaints logged from owners of these vehicles. Notorious in this dept are the 3.4L V6 GM Minivans from year 1997 on.

GM has not issued a recall in more than 5 years, but one could be coming soon. Currently NHTSA has an open investigation on fires coming from warped manifold intakes in the 1995-2000 model year 3800 V6 engines.

Rest assured that unless there is Govt intervention or a class action law suit, GM will not do an iota to recall these cars. Is business to them. A recall costs money + reputation so they are not going to take the initiative. They haven't done so in several years.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the car and it has been very good to me but the more I dig into the manifold intake failures of recent production GM vehicles, the more I get concerned about it.

BTW, the dealer has not yet called me, so I have no idea as to if they have been able to locate the leak or not.