Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Go to http://www.impalahq.com/ select the How-To button, click on the GM Performance link, and scroll down. There is a picture of the kit, the model number, and an estimated price.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Nathan, there's a picture of the Suspension kit on the Pace performance part website, just search for the part number.. if you wanna add the pic to your great writeup.

Drew
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    We have a '02 LS and live in NJ. Not ducking yet, but it has been keyed already.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My imp is currently in the shop having several things looked at.
    They have never seen the noisy tach problem.
    Can't remember if who it was that had the problem, but did you ever get it fixed?
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I have the noisy tach, I'm brining mine in on thursday for low coolant level light that comes on whenevery it wants to and because the front end feels like something is loose up there, can feel it in the steering wheel.

Once those problems are taken care of I may bring up the tach, but since I am not under warranty I don't know if I will or not.. also I was waiting to see if I could ever replace my cluster with an LS Sport cluster before I fix the noise in this one.

Please let me know what they find on yours!
    I was taking a good look at an LS Sport and noticed that on the floor shifter it did not have the gear indicator like my 2001 does. Its just all black around the shifter. Guess it saved GM a dime or two to delete that.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've got a 2000 base model, and I've got a noise coming from my dash that I hear when coming to a stop. I'm pretty sure it's the speedometer, as I only hear it when coming to a stop (sort of a "winding down" sound, like plastic gears running against each other). For those having tach noise, can you hear it when the car is in park/neutral and you rev the engine, or is it only when the car is in motion?
    Mine does it when it is stopped, but it has to be cold outside.
    Just put it in neutral and rev it to 1500 rpms and it does it when it idles down.
    Mine makes a noise when the tach flutters usually between 500-1200 rpm, it makes the noise whether the vehicle is in motion or at a stop. I happened to notice it when I was in the garage at startup and had the radio and fan off.
    The tach didn't make the noise for them but they started it up when the car was cold not when it was cold outside.
    Waiting on the roof strips and the window regulator.
    I may pick the car up Thursday or Friday regardless of whether the body shop has gotten to it or not.
    Pic of Impala SS
    17" wheels, 240 hp, etc.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    a. You can have any colour Impala SS you want, so long as it is black. (UGH)

b. The new Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has the Series III engine, about 10 percent more horses, more torque, an improved body, and who knows, maybe even a lower price. And it is available before the Impala SS.

Hmmm, back to deciding betwixt the GTP and the Mazda6.
    That's just a real shame.
  • 3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    Didn't the Pontiac G-Force last year have a 280 hp version of this engine? If they can get that power out of this engine, why do they stick with a 240 hp version and call it an SS? This car will still most likely be beat in performance by a V6 Accord or Altima, and I don't think that should be the case with an SS.
    Apparently, GM doesn't feel confident enough in any of its car transmissions to go much over 260HP with the Series III.

That does NOT explain why the Grand Prix is getting the Series III, comes out next month with an improved W body and has 260 hp or so (with a rumored 280-285 to come), while the Impala, which no doubt will cost more, comes out months later, with no real body changes, and has only the OLD Series II with 240hp. GM has done this before. The Le Sabre once got the old first series until they were all used up, while the Bonneville and Olds LSS and Park Avenue got the Series II. The power difference between the first and second series was even more dramatic, if memory serves.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    GM says they have a target of 30,000 of these for 2004. 240 hp / 280 foot pounds of torque...the torque #'s are quite good....thats what develops your acceleration, should knock off .75 seconds off zero to 60... Pontiac has always been the Sporty/Peformance division of GM....The Pontiac Grand Prix was due for a major facelift...this body style debuted as a 1997.....the Impala 2000...I believe if you wait 2 years the next generation Impala will be a much more exciting better built vehicle then the 2004 SS...Patience............
    Patience?

I have 112,000 miles on my 2000 LS.

I will soon be buying either a GTP or a Mazda6.

It could have been . . .

Sorry, Chevy.

And there isn't enough tea in China to get me into a black car. Ever.
    John Clineii..I guess Chevy can't make everyone happy. Some want rear wheel drive, others want 280 hp.. etc etc..Some want 18" wheels, 17's aren't big enough... and the beat goes on........with gas at $1.85 a Gallon and no doubt going higher...my 2001 LS 200 hp 11,000 miles is plenty for me...Pontiac GTP no doubt is a nice looking car....but at $30K +........why not put another 112,0000000 on your Impala and buy a 2006 SS....in a cars lifetime 112K is not a lot of miles....to each his own I guess !!
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Here is the link showing the new 2004 Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS with the supercharged (not turbocharged) 3800 Series II engine:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/89290/page004.html

Sorry, but the horsepower is still rated at 240, with 280 ft/lbs of torque. However, Chevy may start selling a high performance kit which will increase HP to ~250. My Buick dealer already sells a kit for the Regal GS engine for $500. The kit includes a smaller S/C pulley (not made by Thrasher Engineering), a performance chip (changes the engine timing), and a 180° thermostat.
    johnclineii: "I will soon be buying either a GTP or a Mazda6. It could have been... Sorry, Chevy."

I don't think GM cares whether you buy a Chevy or a Pontiac, and I know that the GTP will KILL the Mazda6. And it's much bigger too...

jpstax: PLEASE don't buy that dealer upgrade, it would break my heart! It is in no way worth $500!! You can get what they give you and get about 40-50 MORE HP for about half that price! There are much better products out than what dealerships will try to overprice you...
    Oops! I forgot to mention, the $500 includes the installation costs. The dealer also recommended a K&N filter, which I've already installed. The dealer says my extended warranty won't be affected by these performance upgrades.
    Do you still think I'm getting ripped-off?
  • jflynn65jflynn65 Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks - has anyone noticed creaking noises in their headliner for those of you with factory sunroofs? My 2003 LS has starting this over the past week or so. Car has 2500 miles on it. Weather here in New England has been really cold, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks.

Jim
    2003 Impala LS
    Leather Bench/Sunroof
    Looks like it has 20" wheels or something.

Click on the Impala SS picture then go to the very last pic.

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_chicago/index.mv
  • otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, You don't think Chevy is going to offer the car with those huge wheels do you?
    Picked up the Impala today even though itwas not ready.
    Still waiting on the roof strips, and the window regulator had not been installed.
    They tried on 3 of the coldest mornings to hear the noise and could not.
    You know the story, as soon as I got in it I heard it.
    The service writer agreed.
    They will have to take the gauge assembly out to get the part number. Put it back in and wait for the part.
    They have had my car for 8 days.
    More fun.
    35,575 miles and counting.
    And the Camaro disgorged all of it's antifreeze 5 blocks from home last night. I will have to wrench on it tomorrow and get it going before the Imp goes back in the shop.
    Chevrolet has built 40,000 Impalas in 6 weeks!!!
    Who in the heck is buying these things?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Howabout ones who stopped buying CVs? LOL
    B4Z In that same link regarding the 2004 Impala ss.....GM announced to its dealers that the coming 2006 Impala SS will be V8 powered....good things come to those who wait!!!!!!!
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    After reading all the inputs here as to first year Impala problems, I took ours into my local Chevy dealer (where I didn't buy it from) and gave them my problems with 2 months left of warrenty and with 29k on the odometer. Looseness in front end and clicking felt in steering wheel. I had found myself the drivers side tie rod end had play in it. Plus I supplied them with the TSB for the ISS problem. Also about once a month after a 45 minute trip and a 30 minute stop...upon restarting there was hesitation the first time the accelerator was depressed to take off. After that it would be ok for another month. Another TSB from this site for a PCM upgrade. The remote keyless entry fobs would only work about 80% of the time and it wasn't batteries....like that from day one. They were very receptive to my supplying a typed up report of problems along with the TSB #'s. Told them to keep car as long as they needed...no hurry. Three days later car was fixed like new and I waited till now to report all is well 3 months later.
    Also picked up some of the magnetic drain plugs Stock #88891787. They had in stock.
    Thanks to all who have supplied their problems to this site thus helping me with mine. Now "IF" only the Goodyear tires would wear out so the vehicle wouldn't sound like it has on 4 studded snow tires at speeds between 25 to 55 mph. But they have at least 15k of miles left of wear on them yet.
    "Do you still think I'm getting ripped-off?"
    So you got a pully, 180 thermo, and a "Chip" that won't do anything... that's about $90 worth of stuff! I definately wouldn't buy that! You can get a modular pully system for $70 and that's the only thin they're offering you that will up the HP..

"Looks like it has 20" wheels or something."
    Those are the new 17" Diamond cut Impala SS wheels.

"B4Z In that same link regarding the 2004 Impala ss.....GM announced to its dealers that the coming 2006 Impala SS will be V8 powered....good things come to those who wait!!!!!!!"

GM is switching to RWD platforms during the 2006 time frame too... that'll make it easier for a V8! Too bad Chrystler will be RWD before GM, but I trust GM to do it right! The 2006-2008 time frame will be super exciting for cars!
    Look at that picture again. Those wheels are waaaay bigger than 17's.
    Picked the Imp up yesterday and drove it home after work and there was no change in the rattling and clunking from the front end.
    So lubing the ISS did not help.

Hope it is not the engine cradle.
  • scudmanscudman Member Posts: 8
    if it wasn't for the fact that I received an GM discount, I probably would have been looking to sell my 2003 Impala LS. The car currently has 5200 miles and I already have experienced the loose steering problem along with the idle problem.
    I have been a long time GM fan but I find it hard to believe for the amount of money a LS with the sport appearnce package costs I could have had a 1996 SS fully loaded and $4,000.00 to spare for a used commuter car. I would advise people to wait and see just what the new Impala will have in store. When I say "new" I mean rear wheel drive and and a "REAL" V8. All in all my Impala is not a bad car but it just doesn't live up to my expectations of what a full size sedan should be. B.T.W. I looked into the upgraded exhaust at my local North Jersey Dealer and they wanted $500.00 without instalation. Thats alot of money to achieve dual exhaust tips. Just one of my many pet peaves about this sport package on my car. Keep up all the great posts.
    No telling.. the SS will come with 17s and the rest of the pics have 17s... those are the diamond cut rims, so I don't know why they'd make 20000 17" diamond cut rims, and 1 20" diamond cut set... it might be just an illusion.
  • 3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    I think that the way the light reflects off the tires in that picture makes the wheels look bigger than they are.
    The ISS lube kit did not help because it was the brake calipers making the noise.
    Drove down a particularly bump street with my left foot on the brakes and the right on the gas.
    Absolutely no noise at all.
    There was a TSB for this for the Intrigue, anybody know if there was one for the Impala?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'd bookmarked the post below from way back in the "repair and service" discussion; it might be what you're looking for:
    --

Service Bulletin 00-05-22-002 includes the following:

Brake noise is caused by a "slip stick" vibration of brake components. If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. Use Permatex Disc Brake #126hb, or equivalent. Also, clean and lubricate all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads, pad guides, caliper and knuckles with a thin layer of high temperature silicon grease. This allow parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.
    Thanks!
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    It's been a while ! , just checkin in , Our 2000 Impala is doin fine , It is about to hit 60,000 miles and has'nt givin us any problems . I am planning on changing the transmission fluid and flushing the coolant this weekend .

I know alot of people are ticked about the new SS , being a supercharged v6 ,and still a front wheel drive , but I like it .... and I think the perfomance numbers will suprise alot of people , heck Grandprixs with the same motor are running 6.5-6 - 0 to 60's , we'll just have wait and see !
    Just think what the NEW Grand Prixs with the next generation of that motor will get next MONTH. Chevy, meanwhile, is using up supplies of the old one and charging a hefty premium to get it.

IF I get GM this time round, I will be shopping the Pontiac store. More likely, that SS decision just sent me to the Mazda6!

And yes, my 2000 Impala is running just fine as well, now with 112,000 miles!
    I have read your posts week after week as you always inform the readers how GREAT your 2000 Impala has been....you have answered posts where some one has had a problem with their Impala and you tell them no problems here!!Great Car!! 1 minor problem a headlight switch,....and then at the end of each of your posts you continually tells us that you will not buy another Impala it will be a Mazda 6 or Grand Prix..you talk negatively about the 2004 Impala because it will have 30 less horsepower then the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.(kind of a shallow reason to switch)after all the boasting you do about your 2000 Impala..I would believe that the 2004 Impala base, LS or SS will be a much better built car then your 2000....all the bugs that plagued the early Impalas will be worked out...Remember the current Pontiac platform started as a 1997 model...it was completely redesigned for 2004....the Impalas turn comes in 2006 with a v8 and rear wheel drive....How much power do you need?!! If your Impala has been so great as you tell us why do you keep telling us you will not buy another one.. Kind of confusing!!!!
    Sometimes people just want a change.
    If I drove a car 112,000 miles in 3 years I might want to shop around and or buy something different.
    Glad to hear the Impala is doing well. Whatever became of the blue smoke that was coming out after a cold start?
    "So you got a pully, 180 thermo, and a "Chip" that won't do anything... that's about $90 worth of stuff! I definately wouldn't buy that! You can get a modular pully system for $70 and that's the only thin they're offering you that will up the HP.."

I don't understand your point. Where am I going to get the new pulley installed? In order to install it correctly, you need a special tool to remove the stock one. Also, I still have to use the upgrade kit they sell, or my extended warranty won't be worth the piece of paper it's printed on. I appreciate your concern about saving me (or anyone else) money, but I have to think about doing the right thing.
    b4z is exactly right. I love the Impala. It is time to move on to another car. I am not buying another one unless it is substantially different from what I have. Would I recommend an Impala to someone else? Yes. Would I recommend the SS? Depends on the pricing. If Chevy prices it where I expect they will, no. I would recommend they go look at the GTP.

I love small cars. I love large cars. I love sporty cars. I do not love cost cutting of things I like. Change holder, PRNDL lit indicator, seatback pocket on driver's side, keyhole on passenger side? All Lutzed. I may very well buy Mazda next go round. Time will tell.

Capiche?
    Pricing is always a consideration when purchasing a new vehicle. For sure the Impala SS isn't going to be cheap. Everything has a cost. Fat 17" wheels + tires, beefed suspension, gauge package, SS badging etc. The 2004 SS will be a specialty car in Chevys lineup like the 1994-1996 SS was. Most of those sold for list price.. From the 1960's onward top of the line Pontiac models always offered more options then top of the line chevys...The Grand Prix has been around since I believe 1962...the interiors, dashboards etc...were always superior to the the Impala SS cars back then and today.(Pontiac has always been known as the Sport Division) The Impala is the working mans car. Designed for Police and Taxi service. 75% of Impalas sold are base models. The Pontiac GTP offers a great looking dash board and interior much more superior to the current Impala LS....I am sure the new Impala SS will be over 30K but the new GTP nearing $32..the Mazda 6 whats that about $20-22 K?......as I stated in my last post....Pontiac was due for their updated Grand Prix (1997-2004) the Impala (2000-2006) Maybe you can buy a new Grand Prix/Mazda 6 this spring then buy the new Impala SS in 06'...Sound like a plan?.........
    Cars last me about three years, max. Somehow, I don't see myself staying with GM this time. Quite frankly, some of Lutz's cost cutting on the Impala I find off-putting: the unlit PRNDL especially. I owned a 98 GTP and loved it as well, it had 77k on it when I traded it for the Impala, but I was offered such a great deal on the Impala (I wasn't even really looking) that I couldn't pass it up.

The 6, equipped as I want it, would be about 24k. The GM cars have much better incentives, though the deal on the GTP remains to be seen. Pricing has been released, and will run about 30k for the GTP as I would want it. The Pontiac dealer here is EXCELLENT, and that is a consideration. I bet the GTP will be less than the Impala SS. I also have a GM card with an earning allowance stacked up on it.

Still, that 6 is calling me. I may very well answer soon!
    I thought I was the only one that noticed that! I have a 2001 and hadn't paid much attention until I went to see the 2003 Sport and looked inside, noticed the PRNDL was missing! (and the coin holder, etc.)

Also, have you seen what they did to cheapen the base? On the 2003 base its that cheap plastic runners, what were they thinking?
    If and when you test drive the Mazda 6 and Grand Prix let us know how you feel about each.....I always like to hear pros/cons of current cars especially ones that suit my needs & desires....There is no doubt the Impala needs major interior and exterior freshening....