Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I don't see what the fuss is about the 03 LS interior. It's a two tone beige with dark trim, very appealing IMO. For under $18K with GM card earnings, rebates and discounts I would say this vehicle is a steal with the content that's standard; IMO styling and safety also beat Camry and Accord.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    I am still in the process of selling my 2001 Impala LS. Have had some interested parties here and there but none have come close to an agreeable price. I still have plenty of time to sell the car, so we'll see.

I, for one, like the new '04 Impala SS but I think it is 3 years too late to market. The '04 SS would have been a killer car for Chevy to offer back in late '99/ early '00 because at the time Ford had just axed the '99 Taurus SHO sedan. A 240HP Supercharged Impala would have given the late Taurus SHO a complete run for the money. Today that is questionnable because even a '03 Accord with a normal aspirated V6 engine with 240HP can keep up with it and may be outrun it.

Chevy missed a golden opportunity by delaying the SS for so long. They had the hardware back then to make it possible....why hesitate so much?

I think the 5.7L V8 FWD Impala SS prototype was interesting but the torque steer and production costs issues put it in the back burner. How much is the '04 SS going to be?? $30K??? Insane!!

GM knows that the secret to its long term market success in the car arena is to go back to RWD platforms, so I hope that by 2006/07 the Impala goes back to RWD and offer optional V8 engines.

The current Impala is a terrific car, but GM in their wisdom, have not done much of anything to keep it fresh and appealing year after year. A 2003 Impala looks essentially the same as a 2000 Impala...see the problem??
    Not really, since they try to keep the sheet metal the same for at least five years to avoid the expense of retooling.

As long as Chevrolet retains the Corvette and leadership in auto racing they will have a performance image, and IMO they will never satisfy the die-hard performance fans who want RWD and lots of hp because of the pressure on oil prices, gov't regulations and the cost to redesign their vehicles in an uncertain market. Remember when Chrysler almost went out of business selling RWD cars? Just my opinion.
    I disgree Pluto. Daimler-Chrysler is making a move back to RWD as they phase out the current FWD LH cars. Detroit has always been known for RWD, large displacement engines, lots of HP in an affordable package. I don't buy the oil prices and goverment regulations argument...why? because of the proliferation of SUVs in the last decade. SUVs are the most fuel inneficient vehicles in the market, yet the vast majority of them don't have to pay Gas Guzzler taxes, including the new Hummer H2 which is a dressed up Chevy Suburban.

Bob Lutz has recognize the need for GM to recapture their role in the car performance arena and as a last minute resort they are importing the Australian Golden Monaro V8 Coupe and reselling it here as the '04 Pontiac GTO. The car is controversial but it is the move in the right direction IMO.

GM should capitalize in the utter market failure of the current Mercury Marauder and speed up the development of viable and superior RWD car platforms. The Marauder doesn't have the balls to live up to its name. Those 94-96 Impala SS continue to fetch very good resale values.

I am drooling over that sweet and sexy Chevy SS concept presented last month at the International Detroit Auto Show. GM can do it and they are showing willingness to go in that direction.

Furthermore, let the new '04 Chevy Malibu do the fight against its immediate FWD competition (Accord/Camry/Altima/Passat). The Impala is in a whole different class and GM should capita;ize on the success of the current FWD to bring back a "gotta have" RWD Impala sedan in the future.

Lutz, are you listening?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Thanks to sunsession in the Intrigue thread.

I wonder how many ISS lube kits have been performed when it wasn't that at all?

Brakes - Rattling Noise

File In Section: 05 - Brakes
    Bulletin No.: 01-05-23-O11A
    Date: February, 2002
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Rattle Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle
    (Install Front Brake Caliper Service Kit)
    Models:
    2000-01 Buick Century, Regal
    2000-01 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Venture
    2000-01 Oldsmobile Intrigue, Silhouette
    2000-01 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana
    This bulletin is being revised to remove Chevrolet Lumina from the Models
    section and to update the condition information. Please discard Corporate
    Bulletin Number 01-05-23-11 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.
    Condition
    Some customers may comment about a rattle type noise coming from the front of
    the vehicle. This noise usually occurs at vehicle speeds under 48 km/h (30 mph)
    and while driving over bumps. The noise can usually be eliminated by a light
    application of the brake pedal.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by too much clearance between the front brake
    caliper bracket and the caliper pins in the bottom of the bracket bores.
    Correction
    Install front brake caliper service kits to both sides of the vehicle using the
    following service procedure. Each kit contains 2 pins, 2 boots, and 2 packets of
    grease.
    Service Procedure
          1.Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the
          Vehicle in General Information.
          2.Remove both the front tire and wheel assemblies.
          3.Hand tighten 2 wheel nuts to retain the rotor to the hub.

4.Install a large C-clamp (2) over the top of the brake caliper and
          against the back of the outboard brake pad.
          5.Tighten the C-clamp until the caliper piston is pushed into the caliper
          bore enough to slide the caliper off the rotor.
          6.Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

7.Remove the caliper pin bolts (3) and discard. New bolts are supplied
          with the service kit.
          8.Remove the caliper (1) from the caliper bracket (2) and support the
          caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent.
          9.Using a flat bladed tool or punch, carefully tap the caliper pin boots
          from the brake caliper bracket and discard.
          10.Remove and discard the bushings from the brake caliper bracket bores.
          Carefully insert a small screwdriver into the brake caliper bracket bore,
          then rotate and pull the bushing outward to remove.
          11.Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
          12.Thoroughly clean the brake caliper bracket bores of all lubricant.
          13.Install the brake pads to the brake caliper bracket.
          14.Lubricate the brake caliper bracket bores. Divide the large packet of
          grease, P/N 18046532; put one-half packet into each bore.

15.Lubricate the new caliper pin boots. Use the small packet of grease,
          P/N 18046645, only on the bottom internal threads (2).
          16.Install the new caliper pin boots into the caliper pin bores (3) on the
          bracket. Carefully tap boots into bores using a deep well socket or
          equivalent.
          17.Install the caliper over the rotor and onto the caliper bracket. Ensure
          that the caliper pin boots are not pinched.

Important :The leading caliper pin, or top pin, has a bushing as part of the
    assembly. The trailing caliper pin, or bottom pin, is a solid design.
          18.Install the new caliper pin bolts (1). It is important to note which
          caliper pin is designed for the correct bore. The leading caliper pin, or
          top pin, has a bushing as part of the assembly. The trailing caliper pin,
          or bottom pin, is a solid design. Ensure that the bolt boots fit securely
          in the groove of the pin bolts. Be sure not to pinch or tear the boots. If
          the boots are damaged, they must be replaced.
          Tighten
          Tighten the bolts to 95 N.m (70 lb ft).
          19.Remove the 2 wheel nuts retaining the rotor to the hub.
          20.Repeat the above steps for the other side.
          21.Install both the front tire and wheel assemblies. Tighten the wheel
          nuts using the J 39544 kit.
          22.Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

b4z--I just had this work done on my 2000. No More rattling. (Ken)
    I agree, importing the Monaro is a great idea. But if I wanted performance I would just go ahead and buy the 03 Covette, the best production sports car available IMO.

Most of the truck based SUVs will have to be redesigned to meet new safety regs and because fewer people will buy them with gas selling above $2. That will take lots of retooling. If GM and DC go to RWD they will essentially cede the sedan market to the asian manufacturers, leaving them to duel it out with the euros for a minor share, not a likely senario. You can believe Lutz is listening to the cash register.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    I agree with everyone that FWD and 240HP make for a great car and I still like the looks of the Imapala. Where GM screwed up is simple:

1. How can it take until summer for this model to be available when the supercharger has been out forever in the Bonny and Regal not to mention the upcoming GP. And they made essentially no cosmetics changes. Explain this to me Mr. Lutz

2. No major cosmetic changes. Not even HID lights to change the look from the LS. No three spoke steering wheel. Only the usual embroided logos and larger wheels.

3. Price - how can they expect to charge $3000 more for the SS. C'mon $32K for this package is a joke.

The sad part is that I still want because I love the Imapala look. However, you can add a dual exhaust tip and the 17" wheels to an 02 or 03 LS and walk away just as happy for a lot less. Or buy a used 1996 SS.

Just my 2-cents worth.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Hmmm...I wonder if that's what I'm experiencing with my '01 LS? Did you actually hear the rattle, or did you feel it in the steering wheel?

I have a rattle that developed about 1000km ago. I feel it in the steering, particularly when driving in the city. Sounds suspiciously like what you've described. I too thought it was the ISS needing another lube kit. Maybe I'm wrong?
    Brad
  • ksport_cookksport_cook Member Posts: 1
    How can I tell the exact date of manufacture on my vehicle?
    To locate the date of manufacture sticker in your Impala, just open the driver's side front door and locate the sticker on the door's jamb near the lock mechanism.

The date will be shown in MM/YY, for example 4/01 for made in April 2001 and so forth. The sticker also tells you were the car was made. All Impalas are currently manufactured in Oshawa, Ontario Canada only.

If the sticker is missing from that location, reject the car as there is a possibility the car is salvaged or has severe accident repair.
    I hope you didn't buy that overpriced Impala with accident damage.

E-mail me if you have any further questions.
    Also with your VIN serial number, any GM dealer in the US or Canada should be able to tell you the actual manufacture date of your GM vehicle.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    So if you've got the ISS problem, you should feel/hear the "thump" when the brake is applied (especially when turning the wheel), but if you've got the brake rattle only, you should NOT hear noise when the brake is applied; right?
  • colleen14colleen14 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 LS and the warranty is going to expire this year. Can you tell me where to purchase a good extended warranty? I'm so worried about paying for one and then not having the service shop not except it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    I would strongly recommend for you to purchase the GM Major Guard Extended Warranty contract. This warranty is accepted at any GM dealership in the US and Canada, no problem. They offer different coverage/mileage lengths as well as deductibles ($200, $100, $0) per covered repair.

You can purchase your GM Major Guard warranty until the car has either 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty can be purchased at your local GM dealership or from reputable extended warranty sellers found in the Internet.

I do not recommend aftermaket warranty contracts based on previous experiences (Hassle to get reimbursed or approved for covered repairs, denied coverage, etc).

At least with the GM warranty you have assurance that your covered repair will be approved on the spot and hassle free.

Also, if you decide to sell your Impala before the extended warranty expires, it can transfered to a second owner for a small fee (Typically $35.00), thus increasing the resale value and appeal of your car to prospect buyers.

Before purchasing an extended warranty consider for how many more years or mileage are you planning to keep your car to avoid either buying too long or too short coverage.

The Impala is a car that has to be kept under warranty, period. Items such as the Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS) and engine plastic manifold typically tend to fail outside of the 3 year new car warranty and are costly to repair/replace. I personally would not keep an Impala without a good and comprehensive extended warranty contract past the 3 year/36,000 mile mark.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    I'm well aware of the GM Major Guard warranty. I'm talking about cheaper warranties than that. You sound like you have a lot more money than I do. I'm not intending on replacing my car. I intend on keeping it. Is there anyone else that might have some knowledge to offer on a good extended warranty? Thanks in advance. Colleen
    You mentioned purchasing an extended warranty through a reputable extended warranty seller on the internet. Would you be able to suggest one? The price for the extneded warrant at the dealership is too expensive for my blood. Thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Cheaper warranties often leave you stranded with NO payment. You get what you pay for.

In my caes, I got NO extended warranty, and now have 113,000 miles on my 2000. An extended warranty would have been a near total waste of money. The only repair I have had came right about 100,000 miles, and that was for a headlight switch.

You do understand that the prices of the GM extended warranty are negotiable, right? I know many people who have paid less than half the MSRP for the things.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Well when it was doing this it only had a few thousand miles on it , but it quit as soon as it got broken in good , it has 60k on it now and it can sit up 4 days and not smoke , I change the oil every 3000 miles and and the doesnt move off of the full line during that time .
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    3 years ago today we picked up the 2000 LS.
    We have only 7,800 miles on her so far. I am going to start leaving the 2002 guzzling Trailblazer home and take the 2K-LS once the nice weather hits here in the northeast. The only problem we had was the AMP replacement. We had the tick in the cradle but it went away by itself. not updated in awhile but here is is anyway
    http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/impala.html
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    I just heard that the DHP PCM is available for the Impala now! I'll have more info when I get it! This is great!
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello folks

I am trading my 2002 Trailblazer ( gas price is killing me everytime I fill up ) for a 2003 Impala LS fully loaded in black. very sweeet looking car. Do you guys know if I should look out for anything with this car? Has it been refined enough that I can consider it worry free? Thanks for any response
    2003 Impalas should be fine. This car has been in production since early 1999, so by now most issues reported in the early 2000 model year cars have been resolved by 2001 and beyond.

However....

The Impala still has 3 teething points:

1)The Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS) that loses lubrication prematurely and requires re-lubrication that could be expensive after the warranty expires. GM has not been forthcoming as to whether the ISS issues have been put to bed or not.

2) The plastic upper manifold intake in the 3800 V6 Impala engine tends to warp prematurely (Mine did at 18K miles) allowing an external coolant leak to develop. Dealer replaced it under warranty but if this happens outside of warranty, it is a $800+ repair.

3)Front discs seem still very prone to premature warping, but not nearly as bad as the Malibus were.

As for the rest you should be getting a pretty reliable, safe, comfortable and powerful car with excellent fuel mileage and nice looks.

I am selling my '01 Impala LS as I have fallen in love with another non-GM car. But aside from the warped plastic manifold, my Impala LS has been rock solid for nearly 20K miles. The car doesn't have a single rattle or squeak, feels solid and reassuring as the day I picked it up in April 2001 and the paint is glossy with not a single problem. The engine starts everytime..powerful, quite, vibration free a total treat. The car works like the finest piece of Swiss watch machinery. No electrical issues of any kind whatsoever.

Great car and since you are a Chevy aficionado, you should be happy with it.

I taught that you hated the Impala looks based on comments I saw from you a couple of years ago. :)
    Thanks for your input. I did hate the Impala looks 3 yrs ago....but it starts to grow on you once you notice what a nice ride it has and how nice it looks in certain colors. I adore my Traiblazer but it's too much for a single 25 yr old guy...just not practical so I am getting an Impala instead. I trade cars too often but hopefully this one will stay with me for years.
    Cool. What color are you thinking on getting?
    If the reason really is cost of fuel then this does not make sense. There is no way that the trade-in hit you will take on the TB will be covered in gas savings.

2002 TB's are wholesaling back-of-book by a couple grand. Unless you have a buyer or do a lot of miles me-thinks you need to re-do the math.

If it is just pure emotional love of driving a black Impala then more power to ya and enjoy the ride.
    Impalas (as most GM products) don't have stellar resale values. In my recent experience of selling mine, I have found out that people really like these cars but are not willing to pay what they are really worth. I have been asking $14.5K for mine and the best offer I have received to date is $13K for a car with almost 20K miles in pristine condition.

Right now the economy stinks and the few used car buyers out there are looking for outright bargains.

The constant stream of GM subsidized rebates and 0% financing deals on new Impalas, do not help the cause either.

I would say that the biggest downer about owning this car is the fact that people refuse to pay what the car is worth (Even way below used private sale retail) and they expect you to practically give it away because is "American" and is a "Chevy".

Pretty lousy stigma to contend with...
    At least GM is rewarding buyers with a $1,000 loyalty bonus. Anyone know if this is in addition to the $3,000 offered during the past two months?
    Nope.

Now it is $2000. You ONLY get $3,000 IF you are entitled to the so-called loyalty bonus.

But stay tuned. Incentives change with competition. Ford is thinking about what its response will be. This may or may not change the GM deal...
  • emtbemtb Member Posts: 42
    My Impala rulez. I've got a dark blue, 2002 base model. I've added my various EMS gear to it (lights, radios, etc), and haven't had any problems with it. I just hit 24K yesterday, and so far, the only problem I've found with it is that the rear defroster interfers with the radio. Not a huge deal. Otherwise, rock solid car. :) *knocks on wood now*
    Not true on the loyalty money. Indeed it is BOTH...$3000 plus $1000. All loyalty money is in addition the same incentives that have been in place.
    WHAT $3000? Unless I have missed something, and I have the most recent chart right here in front of me...it is now $2000. The $3000 expired February 28. Also, entire car lines are now excluded. Cadillac and SAAB, for example.

Ironically, Edmunds has the correct information here on this site, wihle the Chevrolet website still has the outdated information. Let me say it again: There is NO $3000 cash incentive to customers for the Chevy Impala or most other GM cars as this is written. If you are a current owner, you can get $3000 which is $2000 plus the loyalty bonus.

But if Ford doesn't also reduce incentives, the $3000 may come back.

Both GM and Ford are SAYING they are going to reduce production and cut back on incentives but we will see.

Where did you see that $3000 continues after February 28? I'd be interested, especially since my customers would as well.

Incentives change frequently, sometimes as often as weekly. It is important to have up to date information. Also, remember, you must take delivery by the specified date, not just order or sign a contract for the car.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Been a long time since I've posted here. We have had our 2001 LS for 2 years this month. We still love the car. Problems under warranty have been the flashing (finally just stayed on) air bag light, ISS lube, and the manifold gasket. I have to say I'm a little disappointed with these issues, but they were taken care of under warranty very quickly.

Otherwise the car is rock solid and is great to drive - can't help but love it.

Anyway, with the MFG warranty about up, I'm on the fence to get one. Some of the major stuff has come up on GM's dime, but I was wondering:

Is the tranny usually trouble free?

How often does that ISS issue come back?

We plan to keep the car at least 100k miles.

Any thing else I should consider or be aware of?
    I had the ISS on my 2000 replaced (not repaired with the grease fitting added, but a new unit installed) at 18,000 miles, and it's going bad now again at 48,000. This was before they came out with the grease fix; so I don't know if that will hold longer or not.

Also had the manifold/gasket replaced recently (at @ 46k miles); no idea how long that one will hold.

I also have the airbag light problem, but haven't been able to catch it "on" when I've got time to take it in (and computer apparently doesn't store a code for it). What did they determine was wrong with yours, and any idea what it would have cost to fix had you been outside of the warranty?

(I've had no tranny problems, BTW)
    Thanks for your replies. I decided to keep the TB and just buy out my lease now. It saved me a few bucks a month in payments and the fuel savings would not have been enough to justify the Impala. Glad my friends made me come to my senses. Thanks to all who replied. In 5 yrs when teh TB is paid off then maybe I will buy an Impala as a second car. Thanks to all.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Air bag light - Surprisingly, I think it was something like $150. Not a big deal. It happened twice under warranty and I did inquire about it. I'd replace the module or whatever it is that controls the air bad function. Our light finally just stayed on.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Well, it's been 2 years and one week since I bought my 2000 Impala LS. It now has around 30,500 miles. I recently took my Impala in for the ISS service, which it began clicking at around 21K miles. I told the service guy to check the engine cradle as well. No problem with my cradle, said the service guy. The only problem I had thus far is the ISS and the very slight engine hestitation at around 5K miles. Both problems have been fixed.

Since cars are meant to depreciate, I"m not very picky about little nuisances like the ISS or the engine hestitation. In fact, I think this car outperforms in quality and performance as compare to my brand new Accord EX V6 that I bought in 1995. It's so smooth and comfortable! I'm still loving my Impala very much. However, since I have $2500 left remaining on the car loan, I"ve been thinking about getting a MB320. That car is totally gorgeous! The only problem is that it eats premium unleaded. I don't think I can afford $2.25 a gallon for premium gas. sigh
    This thread has really slowed down.

getting the new intrument panel and brake caliper pin kit installed tomorrow. I have the rattling brake problem and the noisy tachometer.

My main complaint about the Impala is the suspension noise. Car and Driver called it a
    "clip clop sound" I would concur.

I think that my next car will be a Lexus LS 400.
    probably a '96-99 model. I truly believe that they are the best luxury car on the road today.
    If you get a chance, go to http://www.pfyc.com and click on the "2000 and later Impala" section; they pick a submitted photo of the month, and my 2000 base model is "Miss March"!!! First I'm quoted in the 2001 Impala brochure, now this...can a guest apperance on The Tonight Show be far behind?!?!?!?
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    I drove the Impala 3800 as a rental and thought it was quick off the line but once you hit 40mph + and highway speeds it seemed avg to slow. It wasn't as fun to drive as my GTP. The GTP is alot tighter and handles better and MUCH FASTER. My opinion, the GTP looks a lot better. The impala isn't bad, but that back end is too big and butt ugly. The Impala is better for longer trips.. more comfortable. Sometimes it feels as though the GTP has no shocks...

They should offer the L67 or supercharger as an option on the Impala. That would make a world of difference especially above 40mph... on the highway. The L67 only burns 1-2 mpg more then the L36. Only problem is that you need 91+ octane.. but for 2004 the GTP has been designed to run on regular 87. However to get the full performance you should still use 91+ octane. For 2004, they have added 20 horsepower to the L67... 260 now. Where as the Impala L36 3800 engine still remains at 200 hp. The funny thing is that a fully loaded Impala is about the price as a fully loaded GTP. But you are getting the supercharger with the GTP... making it the better buy !!!
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    There will be an Impala SS with the supercharger and the Monte Supercharged SS. It has the 240 series 2 version of the engine so if speed is your only concern then the GP is still faster.

I love my 02 Impala LS sport. The sport interior trim and body color rear makes a world of difference IMO.

I have not noticed any lag at 40 MPH. Are you sure it had the 3800 engine. Most rentals would be the base version.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    "They should offer the L67 or supercharger as an option on the Impala. That would make a world of difference especially above 40mph... on the highway."

The Impala will get the L67 in 2004. And it'll make the most difference off the line, not on the highway. It's a roots blower which means instant torque, not highway breathing. The M90's a wall!
    I see an interesting trend here as of late.....current Impala owners that like their cars but are looking to move on to something else...

HVAN3: A Mercedes MB320 (Pretty lousy truck in my honest opinion, but that's another topic)

B4Z: an used late 1990's Lexus LS400 (Lexus are good cars but they are far from being the best luxury cars on the road today...they are mainly isolating cushy mobiles).

COOKIE01: (Remember her?) She is going towards a new Nissan Murano

Me? I am getting a new 2004 MINI Cooper S for October '03 delivery!

So GM, the writting is clearly on the wall...you are losing customers because you have failed to keep the Impala refreshed and interesting in the face of such formidable import competition...and...the 2004 Impala SS is a nice try but TOO LATE!!!!

Why buy a 2004 Impala SS with the "old" 240HP Supercharged Series II engine, when you can get a new 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Nicer looks, much superior interior design and materials, better handling, suspension, etc) with the 260HP Series III 3800 Supercharged engine for almost the same money???

Chevy we love ya, but you need to wake up!!!!!!!
    Cookie bought a Mazda6.

As for me, I am looking at either a Mazda6 or a 2004 Grand Prix GTP. I am NOT considering the 04 SS AT ALL. Less hp and torque for more money than the GTP? Why?
    Can't think of another luxury car that is as reliable as the Lexus. Certainly not BMW or Mercedes.
    Got the new Instrument panel and the caliper pin and shim kit installed today.

The tachometer no longer makes noise. They set the
    odometer to 35,962 miles on the new gauge cluster. so I had 600 miles magically disappear.

The pin kit has completely eliminated the rattling sound so I can now drive down the street without people on the sidewalk turning around an looking at me as I pass by.
    My dealer has a large service department and this is the first caliper pin kit that they have installed.
    I still have a little movement in the suspension parts on bumpy roads but no real noise.

Thanks "sunsession."

I guess GM has replaced a lot of ISS's and cradles unecessarily.
    B4Z::: The Lexus is a great car, but I think they are aimed at a different market base than BMW's and MB's. I prefer the driver involvement and superior driving experience of a German car over the isolating driving experience of a more appliance like Japanese luxo sedan.

But you can't go wrong with a LS400, that's for sure. I personally find the current LS430 sedan garish and repulsive looking. the LS400 was and continues to be what Lexus is all about.

John:: So Cookie bought a Mazda 6...wow! good for her. Still this proves my point that GM fell asleep with the 'immediate' sucess of the Impala during its first years and let the car run stale with very little substantial upgrades, et al.

I am sure you will be a happy camper on either GP or Mazda 6....how about the '04 GTO? Do you have to have 4 doors?
    Yep, I got to have four doors. Both my business needs and the fact I sometimes carry my elderly parents dictate that I have a four door sedan. Otherwise, I WOULD be interested in a GTO. I have had my eye on Holden for many, many years.
    My parents are in their late 70's, my dad has had polio since he was 14 and has been on a walker for 8 years.

I am also a Realtor so the type of car that I buy has to meet certain criteria.

Plus there is no one in my family under 6' tall.

There are not many vehicles out there that cover all those bases for 21K.

In fact the Impala may be the only car with the amount of passenger and trunk space that I need.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    The LS went out of warranty last week with only 8,000 miles on her. As you can see, my wife does not drive the LS that often. The other day when she returned I noticed something leaking. It was water and it looked like it was coming from the drivers side corner of the cradle. I jacked it up and traced it to the bottom of power brake booster where the 2 halves fit together. I think it is condensation caused by going from the warm garage into cold (northeast) weather.
    Has anyone else had this happen. The brakes work fine. I just wonder if this is a problem.
  • hobasilhobasil Member Posts: 7
    Hello everybody,

I came across a 1999 ex-opp white Lumina for 5 thousand Canadian. It has the 3800II, 4t65e transmission, recaro seats, stiff suspension, H rated tires(max speed 130mph) and the odometer says 147k km (92k miles). After taking it for a drive last week I found no apparent flaws such as pulling to one side, engine whine or rough shift points. To my surprise when I check the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid, it is showing bright pink fluids which indicates the fluid is fairly new.

What advice would you have for this situation? The price is right and the car is in relatively good shape, I know it would be hard pressed to find a late model vehicle in the 5000 dollar (CDN) price range, and this one has the 3800II in it which is a big plus. I have always enjoy the power the 3800II outputs, and its smoothness and reliability. Anyways, I would like to take the car home next week unless somebody comes with a convincing reason for me not to.

This is my first time car shopping, I would appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance.

Basil