Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    good luck on your 50mph trip. Hope you don't get too many sneers from other cussing drivers passing you thinking you are one of those older drivers who frequently drive Impalas and tends to go 20mph below the posted limit. Just don't hike the drivers seat way up and by all means don't wear those massive squarish sunglasses with the green tint.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Did a 25 mile drive last night on a secondary road with the cruise at 58 mph.
    DIC read between 39-43 mpg the whole way.
  • shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    It's an 2003. We took it out last night for some fun!

>What year GTP did you get? Congrats!!!
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Well reg, you've just lost all credibility by going out and flaming instead of responding with any substance...

shrubs, congrats on the new GTP, I hope you love it!
    Who is DIC and how does that DIC guy read your gas mileage.

Must be nice to have DIC in your car, whatever it is. Are there any other cars you can get DIC in.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It's the Driver Information Center. And if you owned a GM car or were even remotely interested in one, you would most probably already know that!
    how does DIC help handling, braking, or acceleration.
    reg, are you joking or really don't know? Driver Info Center.... you know, tells you the outside temperature, compass direction, how many gallons of gas left in the tank, average speed, average mpg, let you know whether you're low on fuel.... it doesn't do anything for handling braking or acceleration....... It's just the Driver Info Center (DIC)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    reg doesn't know DIC!!!!!!!
    LOL. funny. I guess you guys get all excited about having DIC in your cars. You just need to have DIC.

Haha, but again, how does DIC improve handling, braking and acceleration.

Admit its a gadget. Those things never give correct mpg anyways. Best way to tell mpg is to divide your miles by gallons used when you fill up.

I don't need DIC but you all seem to.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, let's just move on here. The DIC provides some information, period, the end. Yes there are other ways to obtain that information, but so what? You seem to be amused by the acronym itself - how juvenile.

There isn't any need to come in here to just be sarcastic.

And some of you need to remember that if you don't feed the trolls, they won't have any reason at all to stick around.
    I didn't even recognize what he was doing.... guess I'm just a little too mature... oh well..
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    My '01 LS has the "DIC" (Overhead Trip Computer) from factory. In terms of the Compass and exterior temperature readouts, the device is generally dead on accurate based on my experience.

As far as the readouts for fuel consumption, average speed and instant fuel economy, I have to agree with Reg, these are not very accurate and I believe these readings have a considerable margin of error.

However, having said this, when I ordered the car I still wanted to have the DIC as a driving aid to help me quickly determine average fuel economy, miles to empty etc. I was not expecting a 100% accurate measuring instrument as I know that auto trip computers are not typically known for their dead on accuracy.

Also don't forget that the DIC option also includes the automatic self dimming rearview mirror and the incorporated Homelink remote garage door opener controls both of which are very valuable options to me.

Still, my Impala has managed to deliver 34MPG at 70MPH using 89 octane fuel based on manual MPG calculations.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Now that is funny.
    Ordered 4 new tires from tirerack.com Friday morning and they arrived at my doorstep an hour ago.
    I will install 2 fronts tomorrow and have it aligned then install the rears later.
    Also get a free Palm Zire with the order.
    The tires were very highly rated on both noise and ride comfort.
    They are Michelin Harmony S rated. $106 apiece and $10 each for shipping.
    Cool! What's a Palm Zire?
    PDA.
  • chevybluechevyblue Member Posts: 7
    Hello guys, aside from Impala HQ, where can I find a list of Technical service bulletins?
    Thanks
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    "Still, my Impala has managed to deliver 34MPG at 70MPH using 89 octane fuel based on manual MPG calculations."

Check out this article. You may be wasting your money on 89.

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gas3_20030403.htm
    I put 2 of 4 new Michelin Harmonys on the Impala this morning.
    My initial impressions are that they are an improvement over the Goodyear GAs.
    Remember I still have 1 GA on the LR and a RS-A on the RR.
    These new tires are quieter. Enough so that I am aware of the engine and wind noise.
    I am also aware of road noise from the rear tires more than before.
    They also ride better. On small bumps and expansion joints the impact is dulled.
    Over big bumps they are only slightly better.
    I think I also picked ups some cornering which I wasn't expecting.
    They also look better. The sidewall appears to be taller due to the tread design.

Will put the 2 rears on soon and let you guys know how they turn out.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    You can find them here: http://alldata.com

Yeah, 89 octane in an Impala is a waste. If the car doesn't knock then you don't need the higher stuff - it does nothing. It was designed to run on 87. No the computer doesn't adjust for the higher stuff and perform differently either. For some reason, this subject goes round and round though.
    You only need to raise gas octane if you are getting KR.. and you shouldn't be getting much KR with a stock L36. So, 87's all you need. If you mod, you might beed higher octane though.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can also ask the Town Hall's good friend 0patience to look them up for you here: 0patience "Technical Service Bulletins" Apr 8, 2003 8:52pm.

Tell him Pat sent you! :-)
    Had a client cancel a appointment today so I threw the other 2 Michelin tires in the trunk and had them installed.
    With 4 Michelin Harmonys installed I would have to say that they are quieter than the Goodyears.
    There are some improvements in ride and handling but the quietness is the biggest reason to buy these tires.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    If you have real winter you should consider a set of winter tires IMO. My Eagles are fine now but I'm getting a set of winter tires from tirerack in the fall, either Firestone or Kumho. You can zip around the 4x4's on all seasons with those puppies.
  • kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    Calling all 2k Impala owners there is a new national club forming for us. N.A.I.O.A ( North
    America Impala Owners Association.) From this maybe we can get all the nj owners to form a chapter of the national Walter
  • russ555russ555 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I was wondering if there is any advantage in having the traction control off while driving in dry conditions? Better gas mileage? I read about taking it off if you are stuck and need to rock the car, but are there any advantages other than in that kind of situation?
    Thanks
    Nah, there aren't any other advantages except when drag racing... And if you pull the fuse, you also lose ABS, so keep that in mind...
    "Automotive News reports that GM will build a new generation of pushrod V-6 engines at its engine plant in Tonawanda, N.Y. The industry weekly says the new range of engines will include a 3.9-liter and a 3.5-liter; both will be equipped with cylinder-deactivation technology, which will enable the engines to shut off cylinders when it can to save fuel - as much as 8 percent in savings."

8 percent, hmmmmmmm didn't one of you guys say it was supposed to be 20 percent gain?
  • bjasmundbjasmund Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my '03 LS a month ago and I noticed yesterday that every metal component under the driver's seat is rusty (wet rust). I'm taking it to the dealer today and I'll provide a follow-up, but I just wanted to get some opinions on what this may be attributed to. Thanks.
    Probably one of the rubber/steel stoppers in the floorplan or a door seal is leaking
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    The rust could be from flood damage; I had a co-worker who bought a used Camry, and started having electrical problems. I gave her a ride out to pick up the car one day, and we started looking at it, and discovered it had been almost completely submersed in water at some point. If you opened the trunk, there was what was basically a "high water" line on the trunk liner. There was also a lot of sand in places inside the engine compartment which wouldn't have accumulated there in normal use. Apparently they'd cleaned the interior, but that was about it. The problem is flooded cars may seem okay short term, but inevitably the water leads to corrosion of electrical connections/parts.
    "While actual fuel economy gains depend on driving style, vehicle options and load-carrying conditions, the potential customer benefits are significant. For example, a full-size sport-utility vehicle with a current cruising range of more than 400 miles per tank of gasoline could gain as much as 100 miles per tank with Displacement on Demand, based on a 25 percent improvement in real-world testing done by GM Powertrain engineers."

THERE YOU GO and it was the FIRST link I tried on Google.
    ok, so what year then? its on the horizon, but now here now.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Deletions

Oil Level Sensor from (LA1) 3.4L V6 engine only.
      Open overhead storage from headliner.
      Regal Blue interior with Sport Cloth.
      Custom Cloth interior trim.
      Lighting from ashtray and console.
      Glove box dampeners.
      Rear seat ashtray from rear of center console on 5 passenger seating configurations.
      Charcoal bodyside moldings are no longer available on Impala LS.
      Exterior color (74U) Victory Red is not available on Impala LS.
      Exterior colors: (49U) Sandstone Metallic and (76U) Bronzemist Metallic.

New Features

(Z7B) Supercharge Performance Package includes (L67) Supercharged 3.8L 3800 V6 SFI engine with 240 hp and 280 lbs.-ft of torque, (P04) 17" diamond-cut cast aluminum wheels, (QWM) P235/55R17 Goodyear H-speed rated tires, (FE4) Performance Suspension, 4-wheel independent, (UC9) 6-gauge instrument cluster with boost gauge, (MX0/MN7) Heavy-duty, 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, (FR2) 2.93 axle ratio, Dual exhaust outlets with bright stainless-steel tips, Corvette-inspired, body-color tail lamp applique, Front fascia extension, Embossed (Impala) front license plate cover, Specific rear spoiler, Graphite interior trim appointments, Embroidered (Impala SS) floormats and (SS) front door side trim, (Impala SS) instrument panel badge and exterior badging on front doors and Sport bucket seats with leather seating surfaces. Only available with (41U) Black exterior color.
      Seats include new contemporary design for: (AM6) Sport Cloth 60/40 split bench, (AR9) Sport Cloth 40/40 bucket with console and (AR9) Leather seating surfaces 40/40 bucket with console.
      (AR9) Sport Cloth 40/40 bucket with console is now available on Base Impala.
      (GF0) Sport Appearance Package is now available on Base Impala and includes (D81) Rear spoiler and Corvette-inspired body-color tail lamp applique.
      Body-color, bodyside moldings are now standard on LS and SS models.
      (PY0) Wheels, 5-spoke, styled cast aluminum are now available on Base Impala with 1SA Equipment Group.
      (CJ3) Manual, dual zone air conditioning has a new control head apperance that includes more fan speed settings and additional airflow.
      New exterior colors (15U) Sandstone Metallic
      New exterior colors (88U) Medium Gray Metallic
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    So ALL SS's will be black and have leather.

This vetoes the SS for me on both counts.

I guess I will be looking seriously at the Mazda6. The 2oo4 Grand Prix GTP's slab of a rear seat vetoed it. (I had and loved a 98 GTP prior to my 00 Impala LS. I guess the next thing for me will be an 04 Mazda6 hatch, in all probability).

Sigh.

And I have had 117,000 relatively trouble free miles from my Impala. Deletion of product feature after product feature has driven me to the competition. Mr. Lutz might want to think about what he has saved by deleting the lighting on the PRNDL, the coin holder, etc. This is one customer it also most probably deleted!
    Mr. Lutz's policy is to remove some features (coinholder, extraneous lights) and keep the quality there, rather than keep a lot of features and cheapen the quality of everything. For example the new Altima who's interior is a little lesser quality than it should be. What do you think about that?
    But the Impala's MSRP continues to increase in leaps and bounds.
    b4z's comment is 100% right here.

GM is not the only company guilty of decontenting I will admit. My brother in laws 97 SHO has a bunch more stuff my 99 doesn't have. Ford pulled out the semi active struts for example. Also took out the JBL sound system with sub and in its place foisted some crap called 'MAch audio' which sounds more like a 20 dollar boombox than anything. He has more elaborate door panels and also a retractable cupholder instead of holes in the console. The sound level inside the car makes me think they even decontented sound insulation as well.

It seems really dumb though to pull out small things like PRD indicators that will only save a few bucks. Typical Detroit mentality. People aren't stupid, they notice that stuff. Gives GM/Ford a bad name. To raise the MSRP is adding insult to injury, even if the incentives increase. How dumb do they perceive the public to be?

Lutz may not be fully to blame but if he even endorses this kind of corporate behavior I think it will just expose him as more of a media hyped fraud than anything over his stint at GM if he can't get them to change some of their long standing culture.

Maximum Bob, its time to put up or shut up. Media exposure and hype will only go so far.
    Are y'all not seeing the progress that GM is making..... look at the things that are, and are about to come out....
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I guess that means they are going off of the W-body and onto a RWD platform
    "Are y'all not seeing the progress that GM is making....."

GM is making some progress, but the other manufacturers are introducing new and superior products at breakneck paces.....one example is Nissan, so many new and excellent market entries. GM may be increasing their pace but is it actually enough to even keep pace? From a historical comparison of GM past vs. GM present it looks like things are improving but when you look at the comparison in real time to aggressive competitors it doesn't stand out as much.

"look at the things that are, and are about to come out...."

A lot of stuff 'on deck', but you would get arguments from many who would claim 'is it another case of typical GM hype'? GM does a good job of playing up their products to be better in the pre release info then they turn out to be once they hit the market.

One example of a product that should've been released faster was the supercharged Monte/Impala. 4 years after launch is waiting waaayyyy toooooo long.

But yes, GM has shown signs of life. Right now they are stronger than Ford for sure and maybe Chrysler too.

They need to attack Honda, Toyota and VW though.
    That S/C deal was just a decision.. the motor was out in 4 other cars! If you wanted that motor, you could buy a Grand Prix, Bonneville, Regal, or Park Avenue.

What about the new GTP? It's tops in it's class.

Have you seen the new CTS-V?? WOW!!!!!!!!! 400HP/TQ with world class sedan handling.. will absolutely destroy a BMW M3 and hang with an M5

Cadillac is rejuvinated fully

New 2004 Malibu is a winner (needs a little more power for my taste though)

New Grand Am will be Awesome (G6 concept) in 2005

Impala and Montes moving to RWD and V8s

Subaru is doing well for what they do

Camaro should be back sooner than first thought

Corvette's better than ever, and will be coming out with a new model in about a year

Bonneville's getting a Northstar V8
    "If you wanted that motor, you could buy a Grand Prix, Bonneville, Regal, or Park Avenue."

What if you preferred the looks of the Monte or Impala and wanted that powertrain? Likewise for the Shortstar motor.

"What about the new GTP? It's tops in it's class."

Whoa, no one has said the GTP is best in class. They have said its improved. Personally, i think the restyle is already dated. The Pontiac Aero look is out, has been for a awhile. I think the Mazda6 has the class standard for chassis dynamics and bests it in the interior design, although its engine is deficient. The Altima has the motor. The Honda has power and interior refinement. So its too soon to think its top of class.

Cadillac is not rejuvenated fully. It has no S-Class / 7 series competitor. Not even an E-class 5 series competitor. The CTS is a good product but not as all around good as the A4 and 3 series. And a new 3 series is due soon. The Escalade is more fashion than quality product. The Deville doesn't match up to others offerings in the segment.

There's a lot of work for GM to do. The target keeps moving. they are improving.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    To me it needs the upcoming CTS 3.6L motor and better feedback through the steering wheel (if it has the same magnasteer 2 as many GM cars) to be top of class. I need smooth when I turn on the motor on a frigid winter morning.

RE:Grand Am. If its going to be good, please get rid of the name that just screams poser.
    yes. get rid of grand am name and just use G6. A nice clean break from the past, no baggage.

If they want to reuse some old names they can try

Tempest, LeMans
    It's tops in everything put together on paper.. the Magnasteer 2 is new. And it has TAP shift

Cadillac is rejuvinated fully now. Do you know what rejuvinated means? Every car in the lineup is an excellent car. The Escalade is fashion AND a quality product. It's built on the Suburban platform and it's got the most power of any SUV on the road. Just because they don't have a car in every class doesn't mean they aren't rejuvinated. The work is being done...

I wouldn't be apposed to the Grand Am being called the G6...