Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• jarrettwjarrettw Member Posts: 14
    I just returned from a 2500 mile trip in my new 03 LS. I averaged ~28 MPG with the cruise, averaging 75-80 MPH. The trip was great. Smooth comfortable ride and the XM radio was excellent. If you buy a car with the intent of keeping it 5-8 years, I don't think you can go wrong with the Impala.
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    Just rolled 10,000 miles on my 01.No problems so far. Need to check air filter & change cabin filter.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    Mike,
    I purchased an '03 Impala the end of January, the only thing I've noticed is that it has tire/road noise but you can live with it OK. I plan on different tires and some undercoating for it.
    Statistically the extended warranty is not a good deal but I would buy it. I had a Mountaineer and nothing but transmission trouble and wished I'd had the insurance. The more I drive the Imp the better I like it. You can get them equipped any way you want, either model. Can't go wrong.
    Rodger
    t-tookalook@hotmail.com
  • cgacga Member Posts: 23
    I was at a Chevrolet dealer yesterday, trying to order a base Impala with the 3.4 V6, along with the 1SB and AG1 option packages. Those are the only options I wanted.

The salesmen insisted I had to order the more expensive 1SC package in order to get the AG1 electric seat adjuster option. Based on the printout I had with me (and two others I'd left home) I was sure I could order the AG1 with the 1SB. So I walked out.

Can anyone throw some light on this? Was the dealer lying?
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    Dear CQA, I recently purchased a 2003 base Impala, with the 1SB pkg and Traction Control for my wife. The invoice was $21,000 before tax. I had a $1,000 on my GM card and combined with the $3,000 rebate, purchased the car for $17,000 (please note, I insisted that the dealer find me a car that was delivered last fall before the price increas). I had to pay the advertising fee and agreed to a $150 fee to have the dealer pick up the car at another dealership (my dealer had to locate my car). I am very pleased with the Impala and I enjoy it as much as my 2000 Deville.
    mdm4: Thanks for information.

The dealer offered to sell me a base 2003 Impala for $17,300 with the 1SB package. That's after the $3k rebate, plus licensing and taxes, and very important to me--*does not* include any GM card or other discounts (I don't have any).

I know this is an excellent deal, but it applies only to a green car (36 miles) that has been sitting on their lot for months. I'm not too keen on the color, however.

I'm also still wondering if the AG1 seat option can be added to the 1SB package since I don't want the more expensive 1SC options.
    I can now answer my own question about the AG1 option. According to GM, the AG1 seat option can be ordered with the 1SB or 1SA package. It is not necessary to go with the 1SC option package in order to add the AG1.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    When I looked at the 03's there was no green, are you sure it wasn't an 02?
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    The saleman I'm working with says to wait until the middle of the month before buying. GM MIGHT be adding an additional $1000. Anyone else hear anything???
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    GM NEVER announces or even hints what it is about to do with incentives. WHY would it? Only after the current incentive has expired will it announce what it is going to do next.

No need to tip off competitors.

GM certainly does NOT want customers to delay buying. Dealers (who are GM's real customers) would be FURIOUS!

With all due respect, your salesman is either misguided, full of it or both.
    GM already announced an additional $1,000 rebate for suppliers and retirees, and an extra $750 for military so giving everyone $1,000 would kind of defeat their purpose. Does anyone believe they make any profits on Impala?
    Sorry--I got a little confused. I'm terrible with dark colors. I took another look at the car and I guess it's a dark blue, or their version of it. And it is a 2003. I'm beginning to think I could live with the color, considering the price.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Actually, GM does announce their up and coming promotions to the public. However, you have to read it in the Wall Street Journal, or watch CNBC.
    I have never seen such an announcement until the program is actually effective and the old one is being replaced. And I read the Wall Street Journal, Detroit News, Automotive News, Ward's, Crain's Detroit Business, Investor's Daily, etc.

GM is not about to announce incentives that would delay a sale that otherwise would be made today. Again, if they did that, dealers would rightfully howl!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Had something happen in my 2000 Impala that's never occured before; I climbed in and started the car, and noticed the clock wasn't working. I tried turning the radio on/off, but it wouldn't work either. Then I noticed the odometer/PRNDL indicator wasn't lit up. The car was running fine, and all the other dash lights were working fine; just the LED-type things were dead. I turned the key off and re-started the car, and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    Yep.

Right before my headlight switch shorted out.

Several times.

And then the interior lights quit for good. Interestingly, they worked at night, but during the day, nada!

That's assuming, of course, that the radio itself worked throughout, just the display conked out. If the radio wasn't working either, never mind, it's something else!
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I had that happen once to my '01 LS about a year ago. I did the same thing as you (restarted the car) and everything was fine. Hasn't happened again.
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I had not noticed what you described, however, every once in a while, I'll notice my blinkers are not working. When this happens, I turn on the emergancy flashers for 1 or 2 seconds, then turn them off, and the blinkers will work !!!

Anyone have this happen?
  • boltzieboltzie Member Posts: 5
    ... and was wandering where the coin holder is located. It looks like something is missing inside the middle storage console. When the lid is lifted, there are two small posts by the latch hole. Should there have been one of those spring-loaded coin holders located on the post?

Also, I read a previous post about rust under the seat.....there is some minor rust under my seat and the dealer stated that it was not a problem. I looked at an LS Sport loaded and it had some rust under the leather seats. What's up with the rust?
  • boltzieboltzie Member Posts: 5
    I've been told by some mechanics that it is a good idea to have the oil changed after the first 1000 miles or so, mainly because the engine is brand new. Has anyone else been told to do this?

Also, how many are running synthetic or a blended-synthetic oil?

My manual states that the 3800 should use 10W-30, but my cap under the hood says 5W-30? How many switch between the two oils depending on the weather?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • charlief1charlief1 Member Posts: 10
    Have a 2002 Impala LS with 12K miles. Interior color is tan. It looks like the color is wearing off the driver side arm rest on the door. Seems like I saw something about this sometime in the past on this forum. I would think the plastic in a high wear area would have the color all the way through but it definitely looks like a black color is coming through the tan color. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Dan, I am also missing a coin holder on my new 2003 Impala LS (Just turned 800 miles). I stopped at a Chevy dealer on my to work, (Not the dealer where I bought the car) and they said that I should go back to my selling dealer and let them know about it. They said that it should definately be there and that the dealer should order one at no charge because it is included in the warranty. I will be going there on Monday and let you know what happens.

I did not see any rust under the front bucket seats of my LS when I picked it up from the dealer three weeks ago.

Neil
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    They discontinued the coin holder in the 2003, also they stopped having a lighted "PRND321" gauge at the floor shifter. I think they also made some other minor deletions, which have not gone unnoticed. Someone posted a car review a week or so ago (canadian) where the reviewer even asked why not have 2 shift indicators.

If your dealer is cool, they will just order the coin holder and give it to you free of charge. If they can't find the part tell them to look it up in the computer under a 2001 Impala LS's VIN.

Have a Good one
    You might have the wrong cap because the 3.8 engine is supposed to have 10W-30 oil. I changed mine at 1200 miles but no one told me to do it. I use dino oil from Wal-mart and change every 4 mos. due to mostly short trips.
    I have always had my oil changed on any new vehicle I've purchased at ~500 miles. Gets rid of the metal filings, and other crud during assembly. After the first oil change I go between 3,500 and 4,000 miles for all other changes. Never have had any oil related engine trouble.
    Have heard good and bad about using synthetic oils. I have always used what GM puts in. Goodwrench oil seems to do the job for me.
    Mobil 1 and others seem too pricey. As long as you change it between 3,500-4,000 miles non-synthetic oils seem ok. If I drove a Vette it might be another story.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    You should change your oil first at between 500-1000 miles with regular oil.... then you should change to synthetic at 4000 miles and keep changing it every 4000 miles...
    Waste of money to use syn if you are going to change it at 4K IMO unless you live in Alaska, you might as well use a good dyno like Penzoil.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    atbear, what is your reasoning to use a synthetic oil at all? If I use a regular oil and change every 5000 miles what need do I have for synthetic?
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    Are you sure it's just not dirty? I had the grey interior and I noticed the same thing, black. But to me it looked dirty and I believe the car washers got it off.

Try cleaning it first. It seems to be textured and the dirt really gets in there, hard to come off.

Good luck
    Nicole
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    Just a quick update on my lemon law case. Had an 00 impala LS with a trunk leak that the service dept. refused to take the time to try and fix. Half [non-permissible content removed] fixes just to apease me and get me out of the service dept and hoping the warrenty ran out soon.

I called a LL attorney instead of filing a complaint with GM and going through abritration. In addition to the trunk leak, I had ALL the same common problems as well, ISS, clicking front end, hesitation, loose driver's seat and the coolant leak. So I really didn't want to keep it anyways. Well the lawyer sent off a demand and wouldn't you know it, GM came through and excepted a buy back without and arguement or hassle. Didn't even go to court.

So I just surrendered my impala on Sunday. I was actually sad to see it go, or actually seeing it on the lot as I drove off. Poor car, I feel like I abandoned it!!

I actually can't complain and have no hard feelings anymore. GM really came through on this one (personally I have a feeling as they reviewed ALL my invoices and knowing how much trouble that model year had, they decided to just buy it back) and made good on a problem an unhappy customer was having. I was quite surprised at the outcome.

So as I say my goodbyes and move on to the next board regarding my new car (went import this time...sorry!!), I have to say that the impala was a good solid car except it's defects and will miss it somewhat.

It sure is weird seeing them on the road now.

Take care all and thanks for all the help. I never would have known all my problems were common to that year...I was on top of the coolant leak when it happened, so I think I prevented even more damage, not that that matters now. You all have been a big help.

And if you ever have a problem that doesn't seem to get fixed at your dealer, contact an attorney and ask away, it never hurts to ask, you just never know.

I'll pop back in if any one has any questions.

Thanks
    Nicole
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Well, I'll be selling my Impala in about 2 months from now. 20,800 miles and its running like the finest piece of clockwork...smooth as silk, great mileage and not a single problem.

However, the time has come for me to move on to my next new set of wheels. Quite different from the Impala but definetely an absolutely fun car with resale values that no current big three product can't even touch.

A family member has expressed interest in my car and he knows he is getting a real cream puff. The car looks showroom new, all maintenance records on hand and servicing done by selling dealer, immaculate in and out.

My new '04 MINI Cooper S will be arriving at my dealer sometime in October and I am very excited after a 10 month wait.

Bottom line: The Impala is a terrific family sedan that is actually fun to drive. good power, gas mileage, excellent quality (In despite some of the known issues already discussed here), comfortable, dependable, safe and very handsome. My only beef about owning this car is the rapid depreciation. After 3 or 4 years these cars are practically worth peanuts. A shame for such well engineered car...GM's never ending rebates and discounts have hurt and will continue to diminish residual values in the Impala and virtually all GM passenger car models for years to come.

If you buy an Impala, plan to keep it until the wheels fall off.....only then you can justify its higher than average depreciation over several years of ownership.

I am sure I will miss it but the MINI is a radically different "Motoring" experience worth having at least once in a lifetime. Total automotive Nirvana.

I am sure that my '01 LS will have a nice new home in a couple of months when I sell it to my family member.

During the weekend I drove a 2003 BMW 325i sedan....oh boy that car is awesome! yes it is smaller inside in comparison to the Impala but the engine is so powerful from the get go and the BMW 2.5L Inline 6 cyl is sooo smooth and balanced..no wonder people are willing to pay $30k for these babies. the VANOS system is terrific and the car has gobs and gobs of power in the upper end of the powerband (Something the Impala lacks due to its pushrod configuration).

Rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight distribution and incredible handling dynamics. If GM ever builds an Impala with RWD and a V8 with BMW like handling I will be duly interested. But GM also has to address its poor resale value problems too if they want me back on their fold.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    yeah, if GM ever did that........seems like such a simple request that they never fulfill.
    I have nothing against Bimmers except to note their exhorbitant prices, especially parts not to mention repair costs in general and I don't envy the RWD. I see them fishtailing every winter in our hilly area.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Have you ever driven a BMW?
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    Better oil =less heat= longer engine life=lower overall maintenance costs

The good synthetics provide superior lubrication and friction reduction and don't break down as quickly as fossil based oils. Talk to high end mechanics and racers. I trust the opinions of those who see the results of friction on engines every day.

I'm a strong believer in putting the best oils I can afford in my vehicles (and changing it regularly!) . My last car had over 350K miles on it when it was stolen. My Suburban is at 328K and running strong. I switched my 01 LS (51K miles) to Mobil 1 and get about 5K between changes. I change it when it begins to turn color which seems to correspond closely to the engine computer reminder.

I may be an exception because I don't trade often any more. I just get something I like and drive the wheels off it. My commute is 55 miles one way. The 28-30mpg at relatively high speeds from the Impala is terrific. That silver streak on the tollway is me ;-)
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    I have never driven one so I can't personally attest to how they drive in winter weather but my neighbor had a really sweet BMW 325i. This dude actually brought the car new and sold it like two years later on e-bay to someone in CA becuase he didn't feel safe driving it in the snow.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    .... because synthetic oil is better. I change my oil every 7-8K miles... I said 4K to be safe.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I was the one who was complaining about it.
    Mine is definitely wearing.
    I have the neutral interior with the darker brown on the window sill. The lighter neutral is starting to show through. i took it to the dealer and they said it was normal wear and would not replace the part.
    The car is only 2 years old but has over 40K miles.
    Which car did you buy?

I'll answer my own question. An Altima, right?
    My 2003 LS just turned 1000 miles and I took it in to get the oil changed. I go to a local quick-lube shop (Expressway) and the service manager said he has worked on some 2000 models with over 100,000 miles on them still running great. I have known the manager for 4 years now and he also works on race cars, so he knows what he is talking about. He has praised the 3800 engine before and said that it is the workhorse of the GM fleet. Just thought you might like to know.

Neil
    Well, my 2000 now has 121,000 miles on it, and just returned from a trip to Mobile from little old West Virginia! :) Only significant repair has been a headlight switch. I change the oil every 5,000 miles (or it seems like every two months!)
    That sounds great John. Hope I have the same with mine.

Neil
    On Saturday my son purchased a '03 LS. Galaxy Silver, leather, sunroof..... Listed for $26,265, GMS 24,143. 3,000 rebates, plus an extra 250 for GMS, plus an extra 500 because I own a Non GM(?),plus 1200 for a '95 Grand AM with 178,000 miles in rough condition. I think we did pretty good. Dealer threw in floor mats and a cargo net.
    Hope the vehicle is as good as I've read here and what several others have said.
    Congratulations Mike and good luck with your Impala LS. Sounds like a great deal.

Neil
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Twice this past month, I evidently ran over a nail which punctured the tire. While driving I heard the chimes, and noticed the message "Low Tire Pressure". I immediately pulled over and noticed that my front driver's side tire was getting low. I managed to get to a service station not far down the road where they repaired the tire. This past week the same occurance but it was the rear passenger side tire that took a nail. Having this feature on the Impala LS is fantastic. God only knows that if I didnt have the message center to advise me of the tire going low, I could have lost control of the car. I've turned 30,600 miles and I love this car. Regards to all.
  • hall18hall18 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2003 ls, 3000 miles on it bought in Jan. While cleaning this weekend I happened to look under the seat and what do I see rusty metal. So I checked the passenger side same thing. Then I started over the whole car. The frame behind the rear seat also has rust spots. Took it to the dealer they said they could not do a thing to it. Any advice on what to do? Im pretty fed up
    Have the dealer contact the factory rep, or try another dealer. 3,000 miles and rust is under the seats?? Something isn't right. Are you sure the car wasn't flood damaged??
  • koolerbkoolerb Member Posts: 10
    I just offered a dealer the Edmunds TMV price for a new Impala and the dealer said it was below his cost. Went went right down the list of options and the option prices and destination fees were right on. Then he said GM also tacks an advertising fee onto every invoice and that fee was pushing his cost over my offer price. Can anyone tell me if this holds water or is this guy pulling my leg?
    I paid the advertising fee. I think it was $179?
    It is in the invoice.
    But some dealers will make deals without it.

Keep in mind there is a $750 holdback on the a 25K IMpala. So he is making that plus other stuff we don't know about.