Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    My 00 LS has also been the best sedan I have ever owned. I now have 145k on it, and it has had only minor problems: a headlight switch and an ignition switch. That is ALL for unscheduled maintenance, other than normal stuff like struts and tires. Original battery, alternator, water pump, etc.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That's REALLY good to hear! WOW! That is an excellent track record for your Impala. Hope mine will prove to be just as dependable.

Tom
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Just check "spoiler delete" on your order and pocket $175 off the sticker price.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Love my 2001 LS. Has 71k on it, nothing major to date, and got a check from GM for having paid for the warped manifold issue out of my own pocket, (did it prior to the TSB/recall). Plan to put 150k on it, as have to replace wife's car this coming year.

Not for nothing, I bought Chevy as I had a half ton Chevy pickup that I put 211k miles on, never much trouble with that, it was a 6 cylinder/4 speed auto trans as well. Looking at the Caddie
    CTS as next ride. Still GM.
    I think I have finally decided that I like the spoiler. Guess I'm glad the car had it after all.

Tom
  • mysterious1mysterious1 Member Posts: 7
    Nice Impala!!! You definetly want the Spoiler, gives it a 'tuff' look. Great color you chose too. I have a 2002 LS, Bronze Mist. VERY happy with the car.
  • tfulktfulk Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the rest of you Impala owners But my 2001 Impala has been in & out of the shop
    at least 5 times since purchased new with 450 miles on it The most recent problem was with the transmission prior to that everything else was a recall , electrical signals & other items. The trans was slipping the dealership finally fixed it after the engine light came on but for a month they thought I was crazy. The most recent Problem now is the shifter sticks when it is cold which Locks the ingnition so the car won't start this has now happened 3 times we sure have worked out the bugs on this car hopefully nthis is the last. I guess these cars are made in Mexico
    GM makes the spoiler standard but the side airbag an option, go figure.
    tfulk, sorry about your car. They are made in Canada.

I am very happy with mine, which has 145k on it...
    Spoiler and Side Air bag are STANDARD on the LS.

As far as spoiler being 'tuff', I'm speaking aesthetics,it gives the car a more complete look, a stronger stance.... IMHO
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Side airbag is now optional in Impala LS.
    The dealership has fixed my transmission.
    The solenoid was sticking and the cost is $1129.
    I called Chevrolet customer assistance and the zone manager has agreed that Chevrolet will share in half the cost with me.
    They haven't determined what that will be since there is apparently some wrangling over what the actual repair cost is now that Chevrolet is involved.
    My car has been at the dealership for 9 days.
    Luckily I have another car to drive.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I had a chance to check out the new Holden GTO at the LA Auto Show last night. The car's interior and exterior look way to bland. Yuck!

By the way, I was standing next to Rick Fox (LA Lakers) and Vanessa Williams at the autoshow. :)
  • geezr2geezr2 Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks! We just got our '03 Impala last night,and it looks and rides like a dream! Just 17k(km) on it and it still has that new car smell.I'm gratified to see that there are so many happy Impala owners out there,as our '97 Mercury Mistake was driving us crazy,not to mention bankrupt,with expensive repairs.We traded it in,and were glad to see the last of it! This is our second Impala;we had a '77,our first car,years ago,and we loved it.We opted for a 4 year extended warranty,which might be a bit of overkill,since we have most of the man.warranty is still left,but,what the heck;the peace of mind should make it worthwhile.

The '03 is the base model,and has the 3.4,with all the usual power goodies,as well as those nice 16" alloy wheels,which really make an improvement to the look,imho.It's white with a navy interior;our 3rd white car,lol!

Take care all
    Geez :o)
    Congrats on that new Impala! They are great cars, aren't they? I'm still thrilled with our new one.

Guess it's good that I bought when I did, since the rebate is back to $3000 and not the $4500 that I got (no more $1500 bonus cash, like there was when I bought a couple weeks ago). Don't know if GM is increasing people's earned rebates on their GM cards any more either. The deadline for that was supposedly Jan 2.

Tom
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    Supper on your '03
    I have one and it's great. It's very good in
    the snow too.
    I also had a Mercury mistake, a 1999 Merc Mountaineer. I got rid of it after two transmission repairs withing 40K
    Rodger
  • gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I was wondering if anybody has put 17 inch wheels on their Impala? I know the Impala SS has 17 inchers but not sure if it would need odometer/speedometer calibration. I thought it would be good to get new rims when I purchase new tires. I hate the custom alloys my car came with since it is very hard to clean when brake dust accumulates.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    A mechanic at a Chevy dealer told me that the current 17" wheel and tire set up on the Impala SS are no larger in circumerence then the 16"s were.....the wheels are 17" but the tires are lower profile.thus the same circumference according to him...and he states no difference in the speedo calibration....
    FYI
    225/60R-16
    235/55R-17
    245/50R-17
    are all about the same circumference
  • y_ottaway_ottawa Member Posts: 1
    Love my leased 01 LS Impala (~41 000 Kms == 24 000 miles). Purchased end of July 2001. A real joy to drive anywhere/anytime - especially on those very long 12 hour trips. Problems so far:

- Manifold leak;
    - Driver seat lower back support replaced;
    - Heating/cooling fan resistor replaced;
    - some other recall that I fail to remember;
    - passenger side skirt cracked;
    - all four brake rotors turned at 20,000Kms == 12,000miles (I thought this odd due to the brakes being marketed as police grade heavy duty).

Still not decided if I will buy it at the end of the lease (July 2004) or lease a new one. To keep it, I must be convinced that the car will be problem free for many years to come.
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I have had my 02 LS in for a tach noise two times. They replaced the instrument panel the first time. This last time, the service man said GM is not replacing them because they cannot solve the problem of low end tach noise. They are calling it inherent noise to the car and normal. I say BS to this as it did not do this until about 15000 miles. Has anyone else had the problem and ended up with a satisfactory solution?
    Mine was replaced in March under warranty.
    It is doing it again.
    I am tempted to pull the IP out and shoot some grease in there. LOL.
    Mine only makes the noise below 1500 rpms.
  • charlief1charlief1 Member Posts: 10
    Had tach noise on my 2002 at around 15K miles also. Instrument panel replaced a couple of months ago under warranty because of the tach noise (below 1000 rpm. No recurrence yet at 18 K. However, now I have a weird rattle in instrument panel area on certain mornings at cold temps that goes away after car interior warms up. I was afraid that would happen once they started tearing into dash area. It's one of those problems that only occurs under certain temp and road conditions so I doubt if I'll ever get them to fix that unless tach goes out again and they decide to replace it again.
    Noisy tach or anything else that is not working properly on your Impala...Go back to the dealership where you bought your new Impala..take someone with you (a witness)....ask to speak with the service manager introduce your friend witness to the service manager.....be polite explain your concern about the noisy tach explain to him that it did not make this noise when you bought the car and should be covered under warranty...ask him for written documentation that GM is not repairing or replacing this item as you said that he told you......if he blows you off....document everything he said to you....including his name, time, date you were there and your witness (friends name)........go home write a firm letter explaining everything that happend with your visit with the service manager.......spend $5 or $6 and send this letter registered to the OWNER of the dealership and a copy to the service manager....(keep a copy yourself)......guranteed you will get results......Over the years I have had warranty issues on several items I have purchased.......had to do this on a few occassions and every issue was resolved satisfactorly...Too many people today are afraid to do the right thing.......stand up for your rights!!!you paid for them!!
  • slc911slc911 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 base model in which the speedometer makes the same noise when you slow to a stop. It's out of warranty due to mileage so I will live with it for now.
    Anyone out there confirm any information on the next generation Impala?....I have read Edmunds and heard a couple rumours.....but dying for pictures and tech info on this car...
    My '03 Impala is quiet as a mouse,so far,but my old Taurus has a squeaky speedo.Here's the simplest answer.Turn on the stereo! It costs nada,and you won't hear any more squeaks.

Ric :o)
  • lelandllelandl Member Posts: 11
    Hi, guys:

I am in the process of purchasing a 2002 Impala
    63K mi, 4 door sedan
    V6 3.4L, auto, A/C
    power everything, include power seat
    Cruise, ABS, front airbags, CD
    Alloy wheels

It's company car which came off a 2-year lease
    driven by a lady mostly on the highway

All maintainance includes:
    oil change records every 3k/4k miles
    flushed coolant once
    changed two tires

Car is in good condition
    have chevy dealership checked without finding problem, except some scratch at back which chevy bodyshop estimate for $450 repair

Asking for $8850 (kbb trade-in is around $7800)
    now firm at $8350
    I think I can make it down to $8000 or so
    what's your guys opinion?

My 2nd question :I found that at either kbb or edmunds, the trade-in or private party price for a 2002 impala is much higher than that of a 2002 used buick century or chevy Malibu, but all these 3 models have similiar new car price when choosing similiar options because impala has more rebates than malibu&century now.
    At my local dealer(San antonio, TX) the malibu is being sold at even higher price than impala now.

For an 2002 century or malibu or taurus with same options they have trade-in price only around $5500.

there must be a reason, is Impala far better rated car than century or malibu so to have higher user-car price? then why 2004 impala is cheaper than 04 malibu now?

I am looking forward to your guys' opinion, thank you :-)

Leland
    The 2004 Malibu is a NEW design. Impala has been around since 2000, with only slight revisions. NEW designs always have less incentives and command more money at first.

Sounds like a good price on a good car, to me.
    Well, we've had the Impala almost one month now, and it has proven to be a GREAT car so far.

The initial quality seems to be perfect: have not found a single blemish or ill-fitting part.

Several people have told me that they love the looks of that car, especially with the medium gray metallic paint job.

It's too early to know anything about reliability, of course, but the car rides, handles, and runs great. I just LOVE it! (OK, it's supposed to be the wife's car, but I get to drive it once in a while.) :)

Tom
    Lelandl,that sounds like a good buy to me.I think you'll like the car a lot.Also the Impala has a better reliability record than most other GM cars,except for the Buick Century,and Regal.We looked at Centurys,but they have no split folding rear seat,at least on the ones we saw,so that was off our list right away.We got a base Impala euipped nicely ,and it s been great so far,despite the severe winter weather we've had all month.

Hi Tom.Glad to hear you're still so happy with your Imp.My only regret is not looking around for an almost new LS,as it comes with features I would have liked.

my only beefs with our car,are the summer windshield wipers,which are just not up to winter use,not the car's fault! Also who designed the glove box? No light in there,and stuff falls out when you open it.I miss a dome light in the middle of the roof.It would make it easier to read the CD's i keep in the arnrest console thingy.

Niggling aside this is a solid roomy quiet comfortable car,that is surprisingly good on gas.

2 thunbs up from us!
    Ric :o)
    I know what you meant about the Impala being around since 2000(model year), but it actually appeared in April 1999!
    April 2004 will be the 6th April it has been available.
    Time flies.
    it really is time for an update.
    plus it took GM way too long to make the side mouldings body color.

My Lexus will be sold and I may be driving the Impala until i sell it and buy a Tahoe.
    Or may just keep the Impala and it's $218.00 mo. payment.
    Well, my Impala was purchased in October 1999, and has 147,000 miles on it. It is probably going to be replaced with a Ford Five Hundred this fall....
    .....Its too bad you couldn't wait to see what the new Impala will look like next year.....probably debut at the 2005 Detroit auto show.
    I just came from Detroit 2004, and drove the Impala both ways from wittle old West Virginia. Waiting til this fall is pushing it enough!
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Hearing some bad reports on the original coolant that comes in GM cars. There is a class action case against GM because of problems it has caused and they are gathering data from owners who have had problems with it. Go to Google and type in Dexcool and read some real horror stories. From a car talk show I listen to GM sez when replacing it you have to make the 50/50 mix with distilled water only. Local water minerals may react to it. People are draining, flushing and going back to Prestone...I know of one City Police Dept that uses a Fleetguard product Part # CC 2825 that is factory premixed.They put it in all Impalas after they have flushed out the now nicknamed "Death Cool". I know others have said don't go by the 5 year 150k miles that GM sez. Change it every three years instead. Our 2000 impala LS has 40k miles on road since Feb. 2000. Dex-Cool will come out this spring....doubt Dex-Cool will be going back in. I did have the manifold bolt recall done plus the GM sealing pellets put in as part of that recall. Any other stories out there regarding Dex-Cool?
  • chevyguy657chevyguy657 Member Posts: 216
    Had the radiator flushed as recommended in my '00 Malibu LS early last fall (now with almost 61K miles), and it was replaced with same. No problems. Had the 3.1L intake manifold gaskets replaced(same time as the gaskets), which they now have a fix for, so personally, and friendly, I'd say stick with the Dex or suffer the consequences.

I've heard stories of the Dex being the problem with the 3.1s and 3.4s.
    147,000 miles here. Dexcool flushed out, Replaced with Dexcool. I don't believe internet fantasies. You can if you wish...
    johnclineii, was that the original Dex Cool from factory?
    What engine do you have?
    Did you have the infamous 'lower intake' gasket leak?
    The original Dexcool was flushed at 90.000 miles when the car was about 2 years old.

I have had no leaks of any kind. I did have the recall performed.

I have the 3800.
    is leaving us, after years, for a Ford 500.

Without seeing the new Buick LaCrosse.

Miss ya, but do think a Malibu Maxx is up your alley. I'm hopin.
    Nope. No way, no how.

Saw one at the NAIAS in Detroit. Too little cargo capacity. Interior wasn't even up to the standards set by Nissan Altima. I also found the cargo capacity sorely lacking.

Before the show, I was very interested in the 2005 Subaru Outback/Legacy wagon. They had 2004 of both at the show, and a 2005 Legacy wagon. Rear footroom was pathetic. Crossed it off my list.

I don't KNOW that I am buying a Five Hundred. I will test drive them when they come out. But for now, that vehicle looks the most promising.

Ironically, the ONLY GM product I found remotely interesting was the Cobalt sedan. The G6 had rear seat head room suitable for low age humans only.

From what I have seen of Lutz and his cost cutting moves (the Impala I sat in at the show didn't even have a tach!), I doubt I am interested in ANY GM product. Well, I like the DTS, but I am not spending that kind of money on a C-A-R (or even a T-R-U-C-K, which is what the new Outback will be).
    I am kind of interested in a Dodge Magnum/Chrysler 300.
    Also looking at a Tahoe or SRX for the tax write off.
    Doubtful that I would go with another Impala.
    Although I have been enjoying driving it since
    i got the tranny fixed.
    Better hurry.

The idiot that created it isn't going to be around much longer.
    So why are these two posts from those of us who aren't considering Impala very seriously next time here?

Good question, glad you asked.

Both of us were rabid Impala fans.

Mine has given me GREAT service...147,400 miles, nothing more than a headlight switch, an ignition switch and normal wear and tear articles like tires and struts (NOT water pumps or alternators or even battery...all of which is still original).

I would not want another Impala largely because of Lutz's cost cutting on small stuff in the interior (glove box locks/light, coin holder, PRNDL lit indicator on console, seat back pockets, etc.) seems indicative to me of more cost cutting I can't see in areas I care about MUCH more.

Not even considering Impala this time. It's a great car. I just happen to like my 2000 better than the 2004's I see out there...not to mention what was a great car in 2000 is a good car in 2004, not great...

Plus I have come to a point where I want a little better interior than the Impala (and even the new Maxx) delivers...
    chevyguy657,

Your political ignorance is showing...
  • grinerbrosgrinerbros Member Posts: 1
    Were still running out 1996 Lumina with the small V-6 in it. Just about to hit 140,000 miles were thinking of selling it and buying a new Impala in the spring. The Lumina is reliable as can be. I just drove it to FL a 600 mile trip down and 600 back. I'd drive it to California tomorrow and not think a thing about it. Only work has been trannie rebuild, a camshaft sensor, and the leaking manifold gasket. Everything else has been normal. I love this car. I see a few problems on the Impala stated here. Any opinions or making the move?
    My Impala has 147.4k miles on it right now.

It's a 2000. I have driven many Luminas. You got great service from yours.

I think you will be very pleased. You obviously take care of your cars. For the most part, Impalas are about as bullet proof as they come, save for some steering (ISS) problems (which my car never had and should be solved by now).

Enjoy!
    I have a '97 Lumina and an '03 Imp and both are very good vehicles IMO. Best GM products seem to come out of the Oshawa and these two models are excellent values new or used; you can order a new Imp for about the same price as a Honda Civic if you have GM card credits.
    The Impala is a better car than the Lumina, at least dynamically. I don't know about reliability.
    I had a Intrigue that was not built in oshawa and the Impala is far superior to the Intrigue.