Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Has been available for Many years. 2 years ago it was about 22K.
    Last year is when it went way up. Seems unnecessary to me since the 22K was more than enough for my purposes.
    We try to keep political discussions out of Townhall.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    What are you guys talking about?

Tom
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted, but now I need a little info. My '01 LS has been a great car so far, with just new rotors and the bolt recall. We now have snow on the roads here in MD and today while pulling out my driveway the messge came up "Service Traction Control". Also the light "No Traction Control" came on as well as the ABS light.

I have not yet driven the car again and do not know what it will do.

Any experience with this ? Should I get to a shop soon ? Thanks for any info.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    You probably need an ABS sensor. I have heard of this happening...Until it is fixed, you probably have neither ABS nor traction control. Strangely, when MINE came on, I needed an air bag sensor module..but my dealer merely cleaned it and it has been okay ever since (this was over two years and 50,000 miles ago!)
    Several posts ago I mentioned that I would probably not buy another Impala.
    I was looking at either keeping my Impala or buying a Tahoe.
    I am self employed and use my vehicle for business purposes.
    Any vehicle that has a GVWR of 6,000lbs or more allows you to take a huge tax write off.
    I think it is somewhere between $50-75,000.
    If you decided to take all of it in one year it is the same as taking your income from $75,000 down to $25,000(just an example).
    If you take it all in one year then sell the vehicle you have to pay recapture.

You don't think that people are driving big SUV's because they actually like them, did you? LOL.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I had that happen once last (??) winter. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the car, waited about 30 seconds, and started it again. Everything reset no problem, and I haven't had it again since.

My theory is that, like any other computer, the system just hiccuped and needed to re-boot. So far my car has yet to prove me wrong.
    Brad
    I had a '98 Lumina before my '01 Impala LS. I really liked the Lumina (very reliable, no problems at all), but I absolutely LOVE my Impala. Much nicer drive, more power, better brakes, nicer interior, etc etc etc.

Granted, my Lumina brakes held up better than the Impala brakes, but I think that's because I drive the Impala much harder than I drove the Lumina. The Impala just begs to be driven with your foot to the floor - both gas and brake!

Right now it's snowing like crazy here in Ontario, and I have absolutely no qualms about taking my traction-controlled ABS Impala out for a spin. I find it very stable and predictible in the snow (at least now that I got rid of the Goodyear GA's).

I've experienced a few of the problems discussed here (ISS, warped rotors, headlight switch failure) and a few other more unusual problems (ABS component in the steering wheel) but nothing has diminished my love and enthusiasm for this car.

Maybe it's just cognitive dissonance ;-)
    Brad
    Thanks for the explanation.

Tom
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    33chevy - I had some problems with dexcool. It was in the '97 Chevy S-10 P/U I had before I traded it in for my 2001 Impala. The '97 was 3 years old and had 45,000 on the clock, never had any cooling system work done. All of a sudden I had no heat from the heater in the middle of our New England winters. The heater core had plugged with deposits. The dealer said "neglect" was the problem and would not cover it even through I had the extended warranty. I tried to explain to him that it was neither over 5 years old nor was it over 150,000 miles as advertised. I was told that driving habits and usage vary??!!?? So now that my 2001 Impala is 3 years old and has 37,000 miles, I plan to bring it in first thing this spring (provided it lasts that long) to have the cooling system flushed and changed. That advertised 5 year/150,000 antifreeze life seems like a scam!

Frank
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    .....Frankf3........cooling system problem! not covered by your warranty!! So you not only paid to have this expensive warranty you paid to have this repair fixed!.......I still can't believe that someone would walk away from a service manager when you know yourself you should be covered by this warranty that you paid for!!If you were afraid to pursue the issue with him, you should have gone to another Chevy dealership or notified the dealership owner, or area GM rep.....I can't believe people don't pursue their legal rights!!....I would have never bought another GM product if I got this treatment.....maybe thats why GMs market share is less then 29% when only a few years ago they had 50% of the market...but they continue to make $$ because a few people pay for expensive extended warranties and let a service manager BS them that they are not covered. The extended warranty is only a scam if you let it be a scam.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    charts2 - If it only was that easy as you say. I remember calling GM customer assistance AND getting in touch with the zone manager on that one. I was unable to get any further with either of them.

The warranty is not the scam and I am satisfied with that aspect. The scam I was referring to was the claim of the Dexcool lasting for 5 years/150,000 miles.

Frank
    The scam was the 5 year 150,000 mile claim.....as you state.....Frank..if damage was done to your vehicle through no fault of yours and the warranty states that you should be covered because the product didn't do its job and nothing was done thats the scam that the dealership blew you off...you work for your money as hard as I do. If you found the results satisfactory then we have no issue here.......thats where you and I part ways.
    Two years ago I posted about the Impala DIC driver information centre console....my buddy also has a 2001 Impala LS ...same thing.....we checked the fuel mileage readings and found this device to be out 20-25%......what good is that? if your watch was that inaccurate would you just put it in the drawer or go back for repair/replacement/or compensation....we both went down to the dealership and voiced our concern to the service manager....same old story these devices are only a guesstometer.....we stated that they read to a decimal point, which indicates item should be accurate...nothing he could do.....We phoned GM. You never speak with a technician there only the girl/guy who answers the phone and they try to get info for you.....We asked the dealership service manager if we could meet with the GM rep....never got back to us......We contacted the dealership owner and within in 8 hours we were meeting with the General Motors representative....we explained our concern he got back to us two days later after checking also indicated to us that indeed these devices can be inaccurate as much as 20% or so I have the letter that states that....."thats no good to me"....he said there is no fix and they continue to put these devices in many GM products....then we asked for compensation.....he offered us 6 free oil changes......we said no and we were going to pursue this issue further......The next day the rep called us back and offered us 12 free oil/filter changes and the option to buy the vehicle extended warranty at GMs' cost (not dealers cost).......$800 less then retail......we accepted this offer......It just takes a little persistance...If you are right about something stand up!......if you don't you deserve what you get! (not a personal attack Frank).....I posted here recently....over the years with many items I had warranty issues......not $10 item issues but ones that were in the hundreds or thousands.....to replace or repair.......Everyone of these I pursued until a satisfactory middle ground was attained.....I will NEVER pay for something to be repaired if it should be covered under warranty as per that warranty policy.....
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    I got a new 2004 Impala LS in later 2003. It's still a great car for what I am doing, and it drives really nice. We had about 3 inches of snow (& ice too) here a few weeks back and the Impala just plowed through it just fine where my niece's Focus would skid. Well the Impala is a fullsize and the Focus is a compact. But still, I'm surprised how well it drove on that stuff. I'm moving to California this summer and I'm going to keep my Impala, but I'm also thinking about buying a new vehicle (either a truck, SUV, or another sedan). Even when I get a new vehicle, the Impala will always be my first choice.
    Get a Jeep Wrangler! That would make a great second vehicle, and California would be a great place to have one. Take the top and doors off and have a ball!

I love my 01 Wrangler Sport.

Tom
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    I have joined the ranks of owners with the ISS problem. Had the car in yesterday for a knocking feeling when turning left. It felt like something was loose. They did the ISS lube and replaced a tie rod on the drivers side. It seems to have fixed the problem.

My question is how long should I expect this to last before I need to have the ISS lubed again? Any thoughts?

Currently, I have 15,500 miles on my 03 LS.
    ........The ISS issue has never been addressed with a permanent fix.......my 2001 LS is going in next week for the ISS (still under warranty)....my friend has a 2001 Impala with double the mileage that I have and he doesn't have the problem.....I would think at some point (years)....most will have to be lubed....my understanding is when your warranty expires GM looks at this issue as a maintenance issue.(that you have to pay)...which is an easy way out of saying NOT OUR PROBLEM.....Its not right to do bandaid repairs on this item......as we speak 2004 Impalas are going down the assembly line with the same ISS design that you and I have......ITS NOT RIGHT!!!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    It's been about 14K miles since I had my ISS fixed. So far, so good.
    I have to have the ISS lube done about every 20,000 to 25,000 km on my 2001 LS. So far my dealer has eaten the cost every time as a goodwill gesture.
    Brad
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Well, well, well....its been months since I last post anything here in Impala world..LOL

Anyway, for those of you not in the know, I used to own a 2001 Chevy Impala LS (4/01 build) which I kept for about 27 months and 22K miles. The car was pretty solid and reliable and the only major problem I experienced was the warped upper intake manifold which was replaced under warranty when the car had 18K miles. Never had any ISS issues, brakes, suspension electrical or transmission. car never had any rattles or noises.

I enjoyed while I had it, but since buying a new MINI Cooper back in 2002, I totally rediscover my "love affair" with small, excellent handling, fun to drive and cool looking cars.

The Impala went to a new loving home back in July for $14K. I think I did extremely well. the car was an absolute "cream puff" inside and out. The new buyers fell in love with the car in about 15 minutes...easiest private used car sale in history.

I still see the car around and talk to the new owners....they still love the car and thank me every opportunity they get for having sold it to them. the car was good to me and I hope it continues that way for them.

Right now I am the proud owner of a 2004 MINI Cooper S with a 6-speed Getrag gearbox, 1.6L Supercharged 163HP engine (0-60 in 6.9 secs), Harmon Kardon stereo, automatic rain sensing wipers, self dimming rearview mirror, 16" rims with runflat tires, rear spoiler, fog lights, trip computer, multifunction steering wheel, etc.

Most fun car I ever owned! And the best part, the MINI Cooper is the only car in the market that does not depreciate a single penny when driving it off the lot (hear that GM???). My other '02 Cooper has only depreciated $250 off MSRP in 17 months of service.

Anyway, it was nice to see my old Impala friends still hanging around here and hope that your cars continue to provide reliable service as mine did.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey, welcome back!! Good to see you. :)
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    My LS is over a year old now and I still haven't gotten a bill for depreciation. If you are worried about taking a hit by selling a 2-3 yr. old car you should probably lease.
    Well we heard all the positives about this Mini...The current Impala gets better highway mileage even though it is much larger and heavier, much smoother ride, does not use premium gas,Impala price is not inflated, if you are over 5'5" stay out of the back seat of a mini..if you can get in!... and no dubious english quality as stated by a few reviews....and for safety if you run a mini into an Impala head on.......well the Impala always wins everytime..The mini is more of a novelty car.....its a car with mostly British background loyalty. Why would anyone in their right mind by a 2 model year old Mini for $250 less then original Manufactures retail price from you, with thousands of miles on it when they can buy a brand new 2004 mini like you did with 000000.0 miles for only $250.00 more! were not getting the whole story here!....
    ...because the used one is available NOW. The new one will take months to get.

Eventually, the Mini-mania will fade and new ones will be available the day you want to pay.
    .... January 93, the first 94 Impala SS was introduced at the Detroit Auto show.....people lined up to pay thousands over list price to be the first person on their block to own one........and then a few sold a year later telling everyone they sold it for near list price....but not stating that they paid a hefty premium over list to start with...considering the 94-96 SS cars ones with low mileage still command a pretty good premium.....the 94s were all black......the 96's are the most popular.....Beatlemania started 40 years ago this week....I remember it well!!
    Well, before taking cheap shoots and seemingly ignorant comments at the BMW MINI Cooper, I would suggest for you to educate yourself a bit more about this wonderful car, that by the way, has collected more national/international awards and accolades in the automotive industry than any other GM product could ever dream of.

You have the typical north american mentallity..bigger somehow has to be better. Well not quite, and I am glad that you don't get the MINI's point and possibly never will, which is good for me because they are much fewer of them in the street hence keeping my residuals very high.

BMW only imports 25K to 30K a years of these cars, meanwhile the Impala is selling in the 100K-150K range...two very different cars.

The MINI is all about true HANDLING prowess and true motoring fun, something that I doubt the regular Impala driver ever knows anything about.

Your comparisons of the Impala vs the MINI are truly laughable. At least I have owned and live with both cars extensively, you on the other hand, have never ever owned a MINI before, and probably have never driven one, so please spare me from your armchair reviews.

And here is some food for taught regarding MINI safety vs Impala safety: (I can copntinue knocking down all the myths you can throw at me regarding small cars):

From IIHS.org

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0222.htm

And here is the Impala:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99014.htm

The MINI protects its occupants much better than the heavier Impala. Embarrasing for GM. A 2,700 pound MINI Cooper received the "best pick" classification from the institute while the 3,400 pound Impala registers the likehood of severe right foot/leg injury in a 40 MPH crash....
    The "MINImania" has not gone away, in fact is growing by the minute. 24 months after the car's introduction in the US market there are still long waiting lists at dealerships for new made to order MINIs.

GM has to move the Impala off dealer lots with rebates and incentives. MINIs fly off the showroom on MSRP and above.
    Forget what the IIHS says about the MINI and the Impala. How about a demolition derby between your MINI and my Impala? You can use all the airbags you want, lets see who comes out alive? Wouldn't that be a better test result than what the IIHS says it is?

As far as I know, the law of physics still applies. Mass vs matter....

While I sat and drove the MINI at one time, it's a "neat" car if you're a teenager....
    Well I am not going to waste my time engaging into a debate with such a narrow minded/ignorant group of people. Anyway enjoy your cars. The Impala is a great value for the money but there are better things out there and again bigger is not always better.

Well I am off motoring!
    Your the one that started the comparison of this mini to the IMPALA..The comments I made are written in national magazines/& critic reports about this car. There are good points and bad points about this car as there are with the Impala..(we all know about those issues) I am sure there are a lot of good things about the mini if thats what your taste is...but you don't come on this Impala board compairing apples/oranges.. I am not interested in a jiggly ride, poor highway gas mileage (only 2300 pounds) and rear seating that will only accomodate the lollipop boys. Your arrogance just won't allow you to see the pros/& cons.....We know you believe this little chubby car with the fish mouth is perfect! and thankyou for that info. I am sure its a real chick magnate too!...(the mini never to be seen at cruise nights! thats reserved for Americana! Chevies, Fords, Dodges just like NASCAR an American institution...now thats American and Chevrolet is a big part of that) again thankyou for the info about this mini...just be careful while motoring, not to run into an IMPALA head on.....now begone with you to the MINI board. cheerio!!....

ps: Isn't this Mini similar to what Mr Bean drives! interesting!....... (don't take this issue so personally!)
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    Hey Now!
    No need to fight/bash other vehicles. If you go back and read all 12,300+ messages from 0 you will see that drivingisfun used to post here all the time and really enjoyed his impala.

There are different cars for different sized family's, different tastes, etc. You might think Impala and MiniCooper a wierd combo but my other 2 cars are a 1970 VW Bus and a 1993 G-20 Conversion Van so what is that, right?

I sure enjoy impala for the legacy and the history of the name.. one of the main reasons I got mine was memories of my dads 1966 Impala.
    I've loved my Impala. I can see myself driving a Mini easily, if I didn't have to occasionally haul passengers in my back seat, which I do.

I saw no reason for either party to bash the other. Still don't. And drivinisfun shouldn't tar ALL of us with the "ignorant" brush, either. Just as rude, untrue and unfair.

My next car will probably be a Mercury Montego/Ford Five Hundred. But the 148,000 miles my 2000 LS has given me have been happy, virtually trouble free ones.
    No more bashing!........enjoy your Mini!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's not let things get out of hand.

The reality is that this is a discussion about the Impala, so let's just drop the conversation about the MINI - it doesn't really belong here, and if it's going to create such friction then let's leave it be.

We all know that personal attacks aren't necessary no matter what the conversation is.

Let's move on.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Went in last night to see what I might replace the Impala with, but nothing I could afford would 'fit'. Neither the Infinity G35 or Lexus ES 330 give me the room I need to be comfy. The Cadillac CTS might do, but might not. Obviously a Mini is out. Don't want a SUV. And the new Bonnie with the Northstar was tight with a sunroof. Nice paint job on the display one.

I did really like the Lexus 430, but $60k is too rich for my blood.

Looks like I'll be unloading the wife's '93 Blazer for a Honda Pilot for now, and keeping the Impala till the redesigned one shows up.
    That looks to be the 2006 model year, last I heard. It may or may not be RWD. My betting is that it will be....
    In about two weeks, my 2000 Impala LS will be 3 years old. I decided to keep my Impala for another year, even though I'm craving for a pre-own MB SL500 convertible. The Impala has 47K miles. Since the warranty expired at 36K, I had absolutely NO problem with the Impala besides replacing the car battery. This car has been bullet proof thus far. I can't say the same with my 1995 Honda Accord I once owned.

I'm holding out for the new Pontiac Solstice that is due to come out next year. The V6 won't be out until later year. Now, the decision is do I wait out after the first model year, or put my name on the waiting for the Solstice? Hmmm. The four banger retails at $20K, and the V6 starts in the mid $20s. Just what the doctor ordered....
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I think its due out late 2005?

I have not heard anything about a v6 option.
    Only a supercharger (dealer installed option).
  • road46road46 Member Posts: 18
    After 10 years driving Japanese (Toyota) I' am back at home with Chevrolet. I read all 12000 postings in this discussion, plus read the others. What I found was quite a following for the Impala. I had a 1966, 1969, two 1970's and a 1971 Impala years ago. I was in a highway crash with my first car, a 1969 Impala that was T-boned by a 1967 Chrysler and everyone in the Impala walked away. When I read that the Impala had a 5 star front crash rating, I decided to give one a test drive. I wanted a used 2003 LS but wound up buying a new 2004 with the 3.4 engine, sport seats with 6 way power seat and 200 amp radio. Paid $17,770 after rebates and discounts. Folks, do your research, then go drive an Impala, hope you agree that you get a pretty good bang for your buck. Plenty of power, smooth ride, excellent heat (it's been below zero here in Upstate NY) and outstanding disc brakes. So far I put on 1100 flawless miles in two weeks. I have rented other cars for my business travels in the Adirondack Mountains and this is without a doubt the best all around car I have driven. It's good to be home.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You might want to try some winter tires on your Impala, IMO they really improve the grip, which would be even more important if your Impala doesn't have ABS.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    I put Bridgestone Blizzaks on my '03 Impala
    and really like them. I've had the car for
    a year now and still like it. I got rid of
    a Mountaineer Lemon.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Hi guys; been awhile since I posted anything here (I was a regular poster early on, and ended up being one of the lucky folks quoted in the 2001 Impala brochure who were found through this forum).

Anyway, I'm still driving my 2000 3.8l base; have just under 64k miles on it now. Just got reimbursed for the warped manifold issue, and have been through the ISS, warped rotors, etc. But still love the car, and much prefer driving it to my wife's 2003 Honda Accord 4-cylinder EX.

Yesterday I had to go into work, and when I came out, there was an inch or two of snow on the streets. I meandered home, but had to traverse a couple of hilly areas (including a long steep decline down my street to the house). Traction control (and ABS) kicked in several times, with traction control active almost continuously up one particularly steep section (I enjoyed casually driving past a couple of folks who were stranded while driving up the hill!!).

However, once I got to my driveway (which is sort of half-bell curve shaped), traction control was no help. I tried several times, but could not get up the drive. I managed to get the car out of the street, but had to leave it at the end of the driveway until the snow melted this afternoon. I had to go to back to work, and when I did, noticed I seemed to have no power steering assist when turning at low speeds when coasting. If I gave the car a little gas in a turn, I'd suddenly get power assist (but accelerating into a turn isn't very intuititive, or safe). Car seemed to drive fine otherwise, so there wasn't a sense that I might have bent something in trying to get up my driveway. Got home, then had to make another trip, and the problem persisted...then all at once, I made a turn that was especially sharp, and I manhandled the wheel to get the car into position, and suddenly the problem went away. I purposefully drove the car home the long way on a curvy street, and it was as if nothing had ever happened.

Anyone else had a problem like this, and does it magically go away, or will it come back from time to time until the power steering goes out completely? I was able to deal with it, but I doubt my 5'3" wife could have steered the car without the power assist...if it's a tell-tale sign of a fixable problem, I'd rather deal with it now than have it hit when she's driving it sometime.
    Good to hear from you again.

Traction control is a godsend.
    Mine has gotten me out of a couple of situations
    one in snow and the other in a muddy field.

Don't know how to help you with the power steering. it was a major problem on the Intrigue, but haven't heard of it being a problem on the Impala.

Have you had any contact with teo recently?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    This is the first problem I've had power steering-wise with the Impala; since it immediately followed my fairly extensive snow/traction control event, I'm hoping it might have been a one-time thing associated with that workout, and not an on-going problem.

I read back through the posts here from sometime in October forward, and only found one listing of anyone reporting power steering problems (but they did say it was intermittent, and ended up being some type of internal gasket problem which was hard to diagnose originally). If it becomes a regular problem, I'll probably take it in and have the power steering pump replaced...I'd rather spend the money getting it fixed, than risk having my wife drive it and it go out, and lead to a bigger problem.

I haven't heard from teo or any of the other "original" Impala posters from here for some time. I think the last time I came around I met up with mcdill, but that was probably over 6 months ago.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    My wife drives our '02 IMP LS and we've had no problems with the power steering either. However, I drive a '95 OLDs Aurora and had something kind of similar happen.

In my case, the power assist was intermittently going on and off (like throwing a switch). Of course, it only happened in corners and/or parking lots and it became very dangerous.

First, the obvious suspect - what I first thought - is that the steering pump pulley is seizing or the belt slipping. I took it in and the culprit was the steering rack was going bad and losing pressure under the load. My favorite independent shop charged me $900 for a new one installed.
    Today, Feb 24, I've had my Impala LS for 3 years now. With 47,700 miles, this car is still drives like a dream. The transmission is so smooth and silky!
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    I just had a recall done to my '97 Lumina re. power steering. I was not having any problems with it, but the recall said that upon hard left turns, I believe, the effect could be like no power steering at all.
    I also own a black '04 Impala Ls which I like a lot.
    FWIW I have the upgraded radio in it and I think it sounds great and it also has plenty of bass which if I remember correctly seems to have a lot of dissatisfaction in earlier years.
  • flashepixflashepix Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I have been looking all over these message boards to find out how to relocate my factory head unit to the trunk and have came up with no directions, parts needed etc? I have ran across a few that Say impalahq has the plans but I didnt not see it under the How to section. Does anyone know what I would need to do this and where to get the parts from. A diagram would be nice if someone knows where there is one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good aftermarket head unit that fits the impala that would be nice to.:} Thanks ahead of time guys!
    A buddy of mine at work who is into stereo stuff uses Crutchfield a lot. They have SUPER customer support and will spend lots of time with ya on the phone discussing what you are trying to accomplish and the best way to do it.

Their stuff comes with complete instructions and all the adaptors and connectors you need.

Give 'em a try.

Tom
    Traded in the Impala today and got a Cadillac SRX.
    Wish me luck!
    Congratulations and Good Luck! :)

Soon, my 00 LS will probably become an 05 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT...