Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    I've had these tires on for a few weeks now. Very very nice. You can tell the difference between the Tripletread and the Comforttread by the tread pattern.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Duraflex here - so good to see some familiar names on this IMPALA site that I used since early 2000. Hi to John, Nascar and Father T to name a few. Been driving our 2000 Venture minivan for over a year now since I traded in the 2000 IMPALA LS. Still can't resist checking out every Impala I see. The Venture certainly rides smoother, has a lot more room and wonderful visibility. However, on the highway - even with the smaller 3.1 engine - it gets about 28 MPG at best compared to the 32MPG I could get on the 3.8 LS. That Impala had everything - the leather, dual power seats with heat, radio/audio controls on the wheel, seat pockets etc. Great car - glad so many of you are enjoying yours. Haven't checked sales figures but that body style has been going on for 5 model years and more and more Police cars are Impalas now.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    today sitting on the lot of Richard Chevrolet dealership (Cheshire, CT). Expensive: MSRP is $33k+, including $1250 for Indy package: different wheels, insignia and embroidery on seats.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Here is a picture of my new (used) impala which I bought last week. 2000 base model (loaded: leather, power/heated seats, trip computer, premium sound system with the upscale radio). 51K miles. Drives great

• hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    How much did you buy the 2000 Impala for?
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I'd like to know how much too if you don't mind. I've passed on a couple of 2000 models that were priced VERY attractively. Not sure if I want to jump into that 1st model year though because of a few of the issues.

There's a 2000 with 59k near me with sunroof, CD. etc. for $6800 that I'm wondering if I should look at.
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    my father is leasing a loaded with every option 04 SS Indy starting next week. Just wondering if you really need to put premium gas in it or will regular be fine (with a bit of reduced performance of course). If anyone here has an SS how do you like it? Looks like a good solid car but we havent even driven it... just wanted to get in on the amazing lease deal we are getting ($205 w/ tax per month with 15k miles per year for 2 years... it has 2600 miles on it because it was a GM executive car).
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Your dad should have a blast with this car! It sounds like he got a very good leasing deal too. I think I read where you can use regular gas (87 octane), but as you said, get reduced engine performance. I think there's a knock sensor that changes the timing to allow using regular gas. If you can afford it, try using middle-grade (91 octane) gas. That way, the performance drop-off will be reduced less than it would be for regular gas. I own a '98 Buick Regal GS (with the same engine as the '04 Impala SS), but use only premium (93 octane) gas. Hope this helps you.
    Nice to hear from ya' again.
    I paid $6200 plus tax for it. I found some others locally from anywhere between 60-80K miles and most had body damage (dents, etc.) for like $6995-7995. This car is in very good shape.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Some of the early folks here again.

I remember the days when we were waiting on a "fix' for the engine cradle issues in the early Impalas.

I often reminded folks to check the air pressure in the spare tire every other month. Not that I admit to having a flat tire and finding a flat spare tire years ago with a different car.

Nope , I don't admit it. ;-)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Actually your reminder about the spare tire helped me out a year or so ago when a friend called to say his mom was stranded with a blowout, and asked if I could go help her (he was an hour away at the time, and I was 10 minutes away). The first thing I did was check the pressure of her spare, which of course was practically nill. So I took it and aired it up first; otherwise I'd have gotten the car up on the jack and the flat off and THEN figured out the spare was flat!!!

I can't remember if it was someone here or elsewhere that mentioned you can buy an extension to put on the valve of your spare, so you don't have to remove all the flooring materials and such to check the spare pressure - it's not that big of a deal on the Impala, but I've seen other cars where this would really be a handy thing to have!!
    That's why I always care a can of Fix-A-Flat in the truck and I'm not afraid to use it.
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    Although I only have 27,000 miles on the original Goodyear GAs, I am ready to get better and quieter tires. Also, at least one tire is making annoying "thumping sounds". The Assurance Triple Tred looks really interesting.

I would only shell out the money for new tires if I knew for sure that they would be significantly quieter, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, what is a good final price for the Triple Treds?

Thanks
    I just found out today that my 00 base model impala has the tire pressure sensor. Low tire pressure came up on the message center.

What triggers it? I mean at what PSI will it go on? Is there a way to turn it off after you air the tires up or does it automatically turn off? My silverado has the message center and for the oil change light you press the gas 3 times in 3 seconds. Is the impala the same way (i dont have an owners manual thats why I ask

Thanks

Ryan
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    What triggers it is one wheel turning faster/slower than the others, within a certain range. There was a TSB for bad ABS controllers which applies but at your expense unless the car is still under warranty. Tgis item is NOT cheap, the retail for it is nearly seven hundred dollars WITHOUT labour, last time I checked. And yes, those are US Dollars!

You can turn it off by switching the headlight switch three times, but I always forget if it is between parking lights and headlights or off and parking lights. One of the two works though.
    FWIW, I've got a pdf of the 2000 Impala owners manual I downloaded from mygmlink.com. If you go there and register your car, you can click on the "glovebox" section and download one for free (or if you don't want to go through that I can e-mail it to you, but it's a pretty large file).
    thanks for the info i totally forgot about mygmlink. I have my truck registered there and i lost the website when my harddrive crashed. Thanks
    ell today after driving to the mall my check engine light came on. This is wierd because I just went in today to register the car and have it emission tested. It passed. Well I went to autozone and they ran the code. It was a lean code and it showed a bad o2 sensor. My question is it common for a car with 51K miles to have a bad o2 sensor?

Has anyone changed on on the impalas? How hard is it? Any directions?

Thanks

Ryan
  • cornstalkercornstalker Member Posts: 6
    I too have taken my Impala in to have it's oil changed (Walmart, never doing that again). It was the worst experience in my life.

First, it took them an hour and a half, with only one car ahead of me. They appearantly went to lunch in the middle of changing the oil for the car in front of me.

They said they said they changed the air filter (and charged me for it), which they didn't. How could I tell? I opened my air filter up and flipped it over (thus extending its life) before I went to Wally-World. It was the same one when I got home and looked.

The underside of my car had oil all over it. Fortunately, I've looked all over and found no where where it's leaking from, and it just appears to be splash or something of the sort.

To top it off, when I was checking out, the service guy asked me if my car had electrical problems. I asked why, and he said "Your lights and siren didn't work." (I'm a volly fd, have light & siren). I had pulled the fuse so these kids wouldn't play with it.

After the manager was a total [non-permissible content removed] to me about the whole situation, I wrote a letter to big Wally in the south. Never heard anything from them. Oh well. One less customer for them.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

• duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Well folks, I had a 2004 Impala loaner (base model) for a day last week while the driver's power window on my Venture van was being repaired. Great car that new IMPALA - like it better than the 2000 IMPALA LS I owned until a 17 months ago.

The 2004 had a much better (softer but not mushy) ride than my very stiff 2000 LS. Although I enjoyed all the bells and whistles on my LS, to me - the 2004 was a new and improved car. The 3.4 engine had plenty of kick and the CD/radio with external amp sounded just fine. Also liked the improved lift mechanism on the trunk lid. Too bad they cut out so many little "frills" - can't believe that cutting all the little stuff endears a car company to anyone.
    I changed the O2 sensor today. I changed the one before the cat converter (bank 1 according to murrays auto). Took it in to reset engine light. All is good now. I had the procedure from online. It said to jack up the car etc. In case anyone else is doing this it is not necessary. You can access the sensor from the engine bay next to the alternator. Also an O2 sensor socket does come in handy.
  • reneesrenees Member Posts: 10
    (I realize this probably isn't the best message board, but I thought I'd try. I also posted on the Maintenance message board.) My second choice for a new vehicle is the 2004 Impala base model with leather upholstery and this dealer has exactly the car I want with all the right options, except leather. It's a demonstrator with just over 4,000 miles on it. They said they'd have it re-upholstered for me with leather for $1,200 to $1,500, and still keep the price at $15,000. I thought this was kind of screwy, but they said it would be cheaper than buying a different vehicle with leather and other options I don't want to pay for. Thoughts anyone?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    My advice is take it to an upholstery shop and have it done yourself. The dealer will likely outsource the work and add his profit anyway.
    Not to mention that the dealer will get the absolutely cheapest leather and installation possible. What do you expect for nothing?

Get it done yourself. It will also help if something later goes wrong with the materials or workmanship that YOU were the buyer, not some third party--the dealer.

Also, if there is room for the dealer to be paying for leather seats without raising the price, you are offering to pay too much. Renegotiate the price with YOU buying the leather seats...

Just my humble opinion...
  • lortolorto Member Posts: 25
    Well, it finally happened to my 2001 Impala. The turn signals would work for a while and then not work. Pressing the hazard light switch momentarily would usually cause them to work again. Unfortunately, the turn signal flasher is incorporated into the hazard light switch so the entire switch had to be replaced. I came across at least two GM part number revisions with the latest P/N being 10308098, $51.96 USD. I’m not happy about having to fix a problem that a lot of people with Impalas had but at least the clicking of the new flasher is MUCH softer. BTW – the new switch/flasher was labeled “Made in the United Kingdom”.

Bruce
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    Turn signal flasher paet number you have is different from the part number I have, and the part number i have is $15 from the chevy Dealer....12450013 Turn Signal Flasher... wondering if i am looking at the right part for this problem...

I have exactly the same problem you had, and so does my girlfreind in her 2000 Malibu. When we press the hazard for a second, the turn signal then starts working.
    My Check Engine Light came on yesterday. I refueled using premium unleaded and made sure that the fuel cap is tightly closed. However, the check engine light is still on. The dealer wants to charge me $83 for a diagnostic test. I'm going to Lost Wages (Las Vegas) this Thursday. Should I be concern?
    The check engine light may come on for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, if the car is still running well, you don’t need to make an emergency trip to the repair shop. However, if you’re planning an extended trip it’s a good idea to get it checked out before you get started. I’d hate to be broken down in the Nevada desert.

When the check engine light comes on a trouble code is almost always set and stored in the ECM (computer). Sometimes there’s more than one trouble code associated with a problem. If you know what you’re doing, the stored codes can be read by placing a shunt in the proper position on the test connector and counting the flashes produced by the check engine light. This procedure is covered in most Haynes or Chilton manuals and they also have a list of the codes and what system the code corresponds to. Another DIY method is to buy a trouble code reader like the one produced by Equus or Actron. They are priced around $25.00 USD and can make the process of reading the codes a lot simpler. At any rate, if you’re planning on doing this yourself I highly recommend that you get a repair manual. I prefer the Chilton manuals because they’re better written and more comprehensive but, as far as I know, there isn’t one for the Impala yet. The Haynes manuals are cheaper and you can still get the job done.

I hope this helps.
    Bruce
  • indycarindycar Member Posts: 7
    Recently, I noticed an inconsistent starting problem with my 2000 Impala Sedan, V6 3.8L with 57k miles. The problem is that I have gone from turning the ignition key to an immediate startup (no gas pedal applied) to a startup that can crank a few seconds and either then startup or startup and then stall. I've tried a few tanks of fuel injection cleaner and it seemed to help a little but not much.

Also, I should clarify a few items.
    1. When running in traffic, if I suddenly give it the gas, the car will respond immediately with power and acceleration but it almost seems like something is holding it back. Almost like a professional singer singing with a slightly congested air way. I hope that makes sense.

2. Since having this problem, I've tried to start the car with and with out the gas being applied and it doesn't seem to matter.

3. This problem is inconsistent, one time I could have the problem with starting, and then the next it could start like brand new.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bob
    take your car to autozone or murrays. They will scan the code for free.
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    Pep Boys will scan it as well.

Let us know what the problem is/was. Good luck.
    Have you replaced your fuel filter? It's pretty easy to get to, and might be the problem.
    I had a similar problem with my 2001 Impala when it only had about 6,000 miles on it. The mechanic said the fuel pressure regulator was leaking down and not keeping fuel pressure against the closed injectors when the engine wasn’t running. It took a second or two of cranking for the fuel pump to re-supply the injectors. FWIW, he said it was a common problem, which didn’t impress me much.

Bruce
    I went to Autozone to inquire about the check engine light. I was told that in the state of CA., they do not do free diagnostic testing for you. They will only lend you the equipment for you to do it yourself. I was fortunate that one of the sales guys assisted me with the diagnostic testing.

The code was P0440. Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction. I was told it's no big deal by the Autozone guy. I then called my GM dealer to inquire about the code. I was told that if I restart the engine about 30X, the check engine light will "go away". My other choice is to replace the fuel cap for $11.....

Thanks again guys!
    Restarting the engine, even 3000 times, will NOT make the light go out unless the condition that caused it to come on has also been corrected. Replace the fuel cap (it's chea0), make sure it has been tightly capped, and then go about your life. If the light still hasn't gone out 30 starts later or so, then proceed to figure out what the problem is.

Or so it seems from where I sit...
    I just spent the weekend in sunny Pensacola, Florida; helping my aunt clean up debris from Hurricane Ivan (fortunately she only had a couple of trees blown down, but no damage to her house - just waiting on utilities to return).

We drove through Mobile on the way there and back, and I remembered that Matt McDill who used to post here regularly lived in Mobile (which had a fair amount of damage), and there were other posters here at one time or another from the Mobile/Pensacola area. Just thought I'd post a message to those folks and ask them to let us know how they're doing.
  • niagaraniagara Member Posts: 9
    I feel that the rear spoiler gets in the way of my rear view mirror vision, esp. if I'm hiway cruising, 75 -85 mph, and impairs my ability to see cars behind me that are gaining quickly on me. Does anyone have any data to suggest that these spoilers have any real useful purpose on a 4 door family sedan? Has anyone taken their's off? Is there a GM part that fills the holes, - or any suggestions on how this is best done?

[2004 LS, tinted windows, air box cleaned out, K&N flat filter, CB radio, undercoated, setting up 4 snow wheels/tires]
    You could switch trunk lids with someone who wants the spoiler and doesn't have one. You might even find a used car dealer who would love to do this with you for free.

As for me, I will miss that spoiler on the Ford Five Hundred that I am awating delivery of. Yet, I owned a 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and spent the entire time wishing that it either had a bigger or no spoiler, the one it had functioned only to spoil the cars good looks, IMHO. At least it fulfilled its name!

As for the engine, I so far have 171,000 plus miles on mine....
    There's currently a recall on 2000 Impala for fuel regulator pressure. Recall #03054. I had mine replaced yesterday.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    If you are cruising at 75 - 85 mph and cars are gaining on you quickly while you are driving that speed how fast are they going 100 - 120 mph.I take it you are on the QEW. I like the spoiler the car looks to plain without it and I don't have the problem of rear vision as you seem to have, raise your driver seat and look over the spoiler. Most sporty 4 door sedans today have a spoiler or hood loovers something that adds a little pizzaz to your ride. You could have ordered the LS with the spoiler delete and save a couple hundred $$....A few more (standard deletes) on the 2005 Impala LS....no more word Impala on the front exterior doors, no more ashtray its a cup holder now, the rear cargo net is an option, no more windshield band tint.
    and all those deletions are one reason no more johnclineii as an owner. I have a Ford Five Hundred on order....
    I know what you mean; - the Impala has clean classic lines that may border on "boring" and the spoiler does lend a little pizzaz. I think that I'll try it with the spoiler off for a while and if I want to I can put it back on. The nuts and bolts are easy enough to getoff but there is some super-duper goop gluing the spoiler to the trunk lid. I'm trying different techniques to get it off without hurting the paint. As well I'm putting on the mud flaps after I paint them; - winter crap onthe roads can make a mess. Next project is to paint the centre section of the rear lights to look like the Sport model.
      My hasty driving is brought about in a weekend mad-dash to the cottage near Algonquin; - insane I know ... but those white Impalas with black grills/wheels sometimes drive even faster than I do. I can often put on 500 miles in a w/e, so I keep the Pal well set up .... it's been really great over the first year and 25,000kms.
      May be time to consider the GTA TB .... hmmm
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Not many OPP police Impalas left. The Ontario Provincial Police had a fleet of over 700 Impalas and 1100 crown vics up until a year ago, and have now gone back to mostly crown vics. They had a lot of negative issues with the Impalas as highway cruisers.
    It's off and I ran it up to the cottage over the Thanksgiving w/e. To fill the holes I primed and painted some panel push pins and then used silcone goop to fasten them from the inside. I like the looks; - the monochrome LS [gold] with black windows is quite phat-kool. I use full synthetic and have cleaned out the air box along with the K&N. At the pumps I use Sunoco 89 with methanol. My wife drove some of the trip and a couple of times she used WOT to get going. SHe turned to me and said; - "what ever you did to this, I want done to my Malibu!". The Pal isn't any hotrod, but at above 2400 rpms, it really flies. Lots of fun .... :)
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I looked at a 500 while at a dealership on Saturday.
    It is a good looking car. Looks less like a Passat than I thought it would since the greehouses are almost identical.
    It is a BIG car, more roomy than the Impala probably.
    it appears to be a little more expensive or upscale than the Impala from the exterior.
    I was a little disappointed in the look or possibley the fit of the leather seats.
    Maybe it was the graining. It looked a little downmarket.
    But other than that I think it will do well.
    It just needs a more powerful engine as an option.

The freestyle should do well also.
    Didn't like the leather on that one either.
    other than the leather it was a nice vehicle.
    The one I saw as 33K, made me feel good about the 34K I paid for my SRX.
    I am sure the freestyle cold be bought in the 29s thoug.
    As can be seen in the Ford Five Hundred forum, tomorrow my 00 Impala LS with 173,000 miles of faithful service goes 150 miles from home for its last trip with me...and I leave in a Ford Five Hundred AWD SEL. To all those here, thanks. This has been and is a great group.

If ya wants to talk to me, ya shall see me over at the Ford Five Hundred Forum. As for seats, I got the cloth, just as I had in the Impala.

Best wishes to you all; I hope you get the great and wonderful service out of your cars that I did out of mine!
    Looks like I'm about 100,000 miles behind you!!! Enjoy your new 500 - hope your positive experience with a "first year" Impala didn't have anything to do with your willingness to jump into an umproven Ford product. Admittedly I haven't driven a Ford lately (to resurrect one of their old ad slogans), but from my experience of marrying into an '84 Escort, I'm not inclined to look at much of anything with a blue oval on it unless it's a truck!!
    I received my recall notice in the mail last week about the fuel system/potential fire hazard...got me to thinking though; when we had the problems with early Impalas and their intake manifolds warping a few years ago, there were many of us here who experienced the problem prior to/during the recall. Now the car is being recalled for a fuel system problem, but I can't remember ANYONE posting here about having this problem.

Just seems odd to me that the manifold problem was a topic of daily conversation among us at the time, but there's been very little said about this latest recall.