Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Good Luck in converting FWD to RWD. I always figured a rolled 'Vette would be the better drivetrain and suspension.
    How does the cradle work in the scheme of suspension and fabbibg a set of drivetrain mounts?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I'm sorry, I though this was the XLR board, i think my PC screwed me up a bit, Sorry.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Heh, it happens - np here!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Hey, doea anyone (including HOST) think anyone will compare the Impala to the Avalon? Its pretty clear these two are in different maket segments right?

I mean, i loaded avalon is like 35-38K, the Impala should not breach 30.

And if it does... IF IT EVEN KISSES THE 30K MARK, GM will throw up incentives and lose valuable magins and customers. Well, at least not over like 32... I just don't think this interrior is worth 30K. Its nice but not 30K nice.

I think if they spruced up the interrior it could touch 30K, but as it is its just not gonna happen. THey should spend like $200 to deck out the interrior a bit, and just raise the price by $200 and thats it.

I just think GM will shoot themselves in the foot like this.

When the Hell are the govt, and/or private orgs gonna step in and Help GM fight off the UAW??? These pension ans healthcare costs mean American is gonna loose the largest carmaker in the world!

Sorry,

Oh, and BTW, they put a Nav system in the Traiblazer, does anyone know why they did not do it here? Its a brand new car, what gives?
    Opinions on GMs sales and marketing directions, and when/whether/should the government step in, that type of conversation belongs on our News & Views board, not here in a dedicated sedan discussion.

And if anyone wants to compare the Avalon to the Impala, that needs to be done on our Sedans Comparisons board, not here.

Lets try to stick to the Impala here in this discussion dedicated to that vehicle.

Thanks.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Next Impala interior looks like a nice improvement
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    GM announced on Friday that the Zeta program has been scrapped!...that would have provided a new mid sized rear wheel drive chevrolet and a future rear wheel drive Impala around 2009/10.....GM indicates that they will use their North American technology to develope new rear wheel drive vehicles coming in the future, and that will probably include an Impala sized car in 3 to 4 years....
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    A lot of fake wood. The current fad?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    And am I the only one who HATES that charcoal with the pebble?

Makes me glad I got a Five Hundred. Honest. And the interior of the Ford is probably the thing I like least about it.

AWD for Impala? Ever?

For all these reasons, I traded away my 173k miles example. Well, I didn't know about the new interior, but if I had, that would have been another reason!
    JohnClineii ever since you have bought your Fivehundred you have done nothing but knock the Impala. We all know you had a 2000 Impala and we all know Since October 12 2004 you have told us 11 times now you put 173,000 miles on your car...11 TIMES!....maybe you will be the only one who doesn't like the charcoal with the pebble! You mention in previous posts here you made your decision not to buy a new Impala on trivial things such as the Impala deleted the coin holder! and the PNRDL on the shifter! WOW! those are important reasons not to buy a car! You don't think Ford deletes standard items over the years? NAH! ....The Five Hundred even according to Ford is a boreing car! thats why they just announced they are rushing to refreshen the car next year.....Most enthusiasts continually point out the car comes with only one engine no choices and is continually being knocked for being underpowered!......the Impala will have 3 engine choices including a V8 for the performance drivers....This new Impala will be offered in LS, LT, LTZ and SS trim levels.....do you have that many trim levels in the fivehundred?.......it might not have AWD and the coin holder, but with all your negativity about the new Impala coming its time you stayed on the fivehundred forum...and keep telling them every 1,000 miles you click off!
    Settle down. My reasons are my reasons. Ford and GM both monitor these forums. I liked my Impala a lot, and would still buy one, if it weren't for certain features missing *I* find important. My choices, perhaps not yours or anyone else's.

I have NOT knocked the Impala, rather I continue to post here to counteract some of the other impressions others have given about weak rotors, etc. I know what my experiences were, and they were far better than those who post here of engine cradle issues, manifold issues, brake issues, etc. 99 percent of my posts have been to point out what a wonderful mechanical beast my Impala was, and, all the more remarkable, it was a first year of production model.

And, with all due respect, I will post relevant things where I find appropriate, subject to the watchful eyes of our wonderful hosts, and without regard to your sentiments of what is or is not appropriate. For instance, neither the Ford nor the Impala, both first year models, had ANY warranty work during the warranty term of the Impala or the first 14,000 miles on the Ford (which is all I have so far in the five months I have owned it).

AWD WOULD make the Impala much more marketable to a larger audience. As would RWD. Too bad GM apparently has just cancelled the program that would have made that possible....
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    After slipping and sliding in GM rear wheel drivers I would never go back. Winter driving is fun again with FWD and winter tires, thank you.
    John: re #12982 I apologize for my burst of anger. You have contributed a lot to this forum.
    Hey, man, it's okay. Your contributions here far outweigh anything you might have felt that day! I understand your strong feelings about the Impala. In fact, I share them.

Enjoy your car. I'm taking mine on about a 3000 mile journey this weekend! :)
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    After one month of trying to sell my 2000 Impala LS with 65k miles, I still haven't gotten ONE call!

Today, I just bought a white 2005 Tundra Double Cab with TRD package. I preferred a Titan, but I got a really great deal on the Tundra. The dealer wanted $3500 for my Impala. What a joke! No thanks!
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    We've had our 01 LS for 4 years now. It's been nearly flawless. With two babies - wow, it's been the best family car. And the Edmunds review of the Impala continues to be baseless and clueless. I've driven the Accord - very unsupportive seats. Also, the trunk space would not have cut it. But a lot of car reviewers think a squishy rubbermaid dash is so desirable and more important than an adequate seat and usable room. I think the interior is fine too. It's at least equal to a lot of other import stuff that apparently is ok with the same bunch of reviewers (because it's probably what they bought).
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Don't give up on selling your Impala. Purchased a 2000 LS from a dealer last year for a replacement car. Carmax in Chicago suburbs was selling an Impala sedan (not a LS) with a 3800 V-6 for $9,000 which I used as leverage at the dealer.

Also, I own a 2004 Toyota Highlander and my 17 year old son and I prefer driving the Impala.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    The problem is the large fleet companies are selling '03 Impala LS with 50-60k for $6-7k to the employees of their clients. That is a lot of car for the money ... and about $2k less than what you'd pay at Carmax.
  • loubanasloubanas Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a 2005 Chevy Impala LS. It does not have a coin holder in the center console storage. Do you know how to get one?
    An automotive salvage yard or the parts department of a dealership...IF the fingers to hold it are still in the console.....
    A discussion of the 2006 Impala, including the lack of AWD or a CVT, appears here:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/business/11324401.htm
    Exactly what everyone on every GM forum has been talking about for the past year! Just using the 2006 Impala as an example. Most believe the car is a decent refreshening but will become stale/outdated very quickly in this fast moving market place.
    I have an extra coin holder you can have. You pay $5 for shipping cost. Send me an e-mail if you like.

As of today, I still haven't been able to sell my 2000 Impala LS with 66K miles. I even paid for the car registration good till 02/06.

In the meantime, my Tundra double cab is killing me on gas. Oh boy~
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "As of today, I still haven't been able to sell my 2000 Impala LS with 66K miles. I even paid for the car registration good till 02/06. "

You can buy used '04's here in Southern California all day long for $12,000 w/less than 36,000 miles on them. GM uses these for rentals and then sells them through their dealer network. Consequently, the market for used ones is very soft. You simply need to lower the price until it sells. It doesn't matter what Kelly Blue Book says, or the NADA used car guide, or Edmunds. It's what your LOCAL MARKET WILL BEAR.....................
  • klrssklrss Member Posts: 28
    Hi Folks, I am thinking of getting a new Impala, but not sure if the SS or LS would be best to get. I lean towards the SS for the extra 40 Hp, but I do want the best Gas mileage I can get. I read that the SS takes Premium Fuel..is that right? Anyone here have a 2005 SS that runs on regular with no problems? Just wanted to get everyones opinon on the two different trims. I might go for the fully loaded LS if the only thing I am getting with the SS is the 40 hp, and some stitching on the seats.
    Thanks for any help!
    Ron
  • klj2041klj2041 Member Posts: 10
    I cannot find an LS with cloth seating! Is leather standard in this trim level? Also, does anyone have advice about which is 'better'. I really think that I don't want the leather but really want the LS trim! Thanks!
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    You can get cloth seats in meduim gray sport cloth or neutral sport cloth. this from GM Impala web sit where you can build your own or check dealers to see what they have in stock.
  • sldabclmnopsldabclmnop Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at a 2001 Impala that was used as a fleet vehicle. It has a very detailed vehicle history report and the only thing that looks like a red flag for me is the transmission work that's been done. A year ago, when it had 52,545 miles on it (it has 66k on it now) had $897 worth of transmission work on it. Then 8k miles later it had $75 more in transmission work, then 1k miles after that (61528 total miles) it had a $654 tune up. After glancing over the vehicle report I see that over the years it's had an addition $400's worth of misc. work on it. My question to you is - do you think this is a good car? Is it going to be a smart idea to buy a car that's had a rebuilt transmission and some misc. repairs? Are transmission problems frequent in Impalas and once they're fixed, do they come back?

I'm a 21 year old student and I have the option of buying this car for about $6 grand, but I won't be able to replace everything if it decides to fail again. I'd like some responces from people who've replaced impala transmissions and done work on their cars. Also, I can choose to buy an '03 impala with 62k on it for around $7, I don't have the maintenance history for it yet though. Any input from an experienced impala owner would be very much appreciated.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "A year ago, when it had 52,545 miles on it (it has 66k on it now) had $897 worth of transmission work on it."

Unless I am missing something you can't rebuild a transmission for this price. I am thinking that there was something wrong with the transmission and only the parts that absolutely needed replacing were exchanged. This is typical for a fleet car where the people that maintain them know they will only have a life of two years under a typical fleet lease. My advice would be to look for another car.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Does anyone have paint problems with their Imps? My paint is disappearing in spots on the horizontal surfaces,e.g. roof, hood.. Dealer blames it on birds. I'm going after GM in small claims court but wondered if anyone else has paint problems with the Imps. The spots are small enough to touch up.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    There are trans repairs that can be done under $1k that are short of a rebuild. GM has some problems with the TCC (torque converter clutch) and valve body problems. The TCC problem doesn't allow the torque converter to lockup when in OD. This doesn't make the car inoperative, it just means if left alone, the trans will probably overheat, and also lose fuel economy. I'm not 100% these problems are found in the Impala but, they do effect FWD Cadillac's & Suburban's etc. It's hard to say if someone opted for the cheap way out or not. With as many used Impala's around you might be better off looking else where.

BTW, my 2000 suburban required a trans rebuild at 46K which cost me $1800.
  • daviy2000daviy2000 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys! I'm a proud new Impala owner. I just turned sixteen and I got my old man's 2001 Chevy Impala LS. I love it, it has to be one of the coolest cars. There's an All-American Makes Only Street Group at our school I joined and I'm looking to add some street parts to the Impala. So far I'm having trouble finding stuff. Since I'm on a limited budget I'm going for exterior first, namely; LED's and aero kits. Anyone know of good sites? It's hard to find stuff for the newer Impala models. Anyone have any personal recommendations for LED's?

Thanks,
    David
  • jarndt1jarndt1 Member Posts: 11
    I know as a young person with a limited budget you may be drawn towards "appearance" based modifications, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, real performance upgrades will always be more satisfying and earn you more respect over the long run. My suggestion... BE PATIENT! Don't waste your money on LED's and aero kits. Instead, get some good detailing supplies and make your car look its best in stock form. Meanwhile, save your $$$ and investigate the most cost effective performance upgrades available for your car. Look at brake system upgrades, exhaust components (particularly the U-bend ahead of the cat), tranny shift kits, throttle body mods, computer upgrades, cold air intakes, etc. There are plenty of good resources out there. It's true, big performance costs big money but there are lots of modest performance gains to be had for little $$$. Congratulations and good luck with your future projects!
    Hi David, welcome!

You should check out our new Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board. I think it's just what you are looking for.

Have fun!
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I would pass on the car. Maybe the transmission is fine and will last 150k, but used Impalas off-lease are very common and there are tons of them without the transmission issues.

You are NOT getting bad prices. I can get a '02-03 Impala w 45-60k miles from a couple of the leasing companies that I have contact with for $5.8-6.5k.

Remember, you should be looking to get 150-200k miles on the vehicle and to put aside enough to pay cash for your next vehicle.
  • pdx3x8impalapdx3x8impala Member Posts: 2
    I have spent 1 week looking for the part number for the 2000 Impala LS key FOB and had no luck. Can anyone with this vehicle and Key FOB let me know the part number (top row of numbers on the back)? I appreciate the help. Thanks!!!
  • tom41tom41 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2005 chev impala LS. the dealer told me that because of the design of the rocker panels on the LS that they do not make a molded mudguard for the LS, they will not fit. the mudguards are evidently made for a regular impala. does anyone know of a company who makes a molded mudguard that fits a 2005 impala LS, front and rear.
  • stan18stan18 Member Posts: 8
    The SS is supposed to have a better suspension in addition to the +40hp.

The supercharged 3800 will run on regular, but you may get worse gas mileage (and you lose many of your 40 horses). At least that's what my Dad told me about his Buick Ultra with the same engine. He switched back to premium because it was cheaper for his driving (he lives in the hinterlands so most of his driving is steady highway, not city or stop and go).

I'd recommend driving them both. I recently test drove an SS. Nice car. You should be able to get a reasonable deal since it appearst that most of the target market is waiting for '06 and the V8.
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    I got the part # from G M Accessorie zone site. Front12496349 $28.00 Rear 12498346 $28.00.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    What does everyone think about GM putting the 5.3 as an option in the Impala.

I question this decision because I have a 5.3 in my Suburban and I don't find it to be overly refined and more suited for truck duty. I know GM is adding DOD, but is the engine being reworked for car duty?

I'm going to be curious to see how it handles, that will be quite a bit of weight over the front wheels.
  • tom41tom41 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know of a manufactuer who makes mudflaps for a 2005 impala.
    the dealer dont have them and couldnt find anyone who made them. the 2005 impala has a flare in the rocker panels and the rear quarter that wont allow earlier years to fit.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    Here are the numbers on the key FOB for 2000 Impala LS:

GM/UTA: 25678792
    FCC ID: KOBUT1BT
    From what I have read the new 5.3 V8 for the 06' Impala is 20 pounds lighter then the 3800 V6 that it is replacing..(more aluminum components) ....and it is being re-engineered for front wheel drive applications for the Impala and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP.....Chevy indicates they have reworked the transmission, and front end components to handle the additional torque.........
  • pdx3x8impalapdx3x8impala Member Posts: 2
    Thank you middleageguy!!!!!!
  • spsmithspsmith Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Impala with 3.4. I have had the low coolant light on for months now. I was not concerned about it because someone told me to just change the coolant sensor. Which I did and the light is still on. I now called a local dealership to see how to reset the low coolant light and he indicated that it should reset itself and I may have other problems. I do not have any overheating, the oil and radiator fluid looks fine, and I do not loose radiator fluid. I am slightly concerned because of all the postings regarding the here about the leaking fluid issues.. Does anyone know how to reset the low coolant light (if possible)? Any other suggestions?
  • 3rcr4ever3rcr4ever Member Posts: 1
    I just spent over $300 for the dealership to tell
    me they don not know what's wrong!!!

The dash and counsel lights are out on mine too.
    The LED? (green) displays are fine during the day,
    but are invisible at night.
    The sensor seems to be working properly and
    all other lighting is fine.

The radio is awful and picks up static from the
    LED? displays!!! This really stinks because I am
    on the road a lot and the radio is my only friend.

The dealership pros, stated that I had to pay for
    the BCM they replaced cause they could not
    return the old one after it was removed. ($190)
    I am seeking to find if this is true.

If they do happen to fix your lights, PLEASE inform
    me as to what it was. The car is GREAT and all
    but I don't need a nickle and dimer either.

Thanks in advance.
    If you go near the top of this forum page (right side search this discussion) box type in COOLANT LIGHT dozens of posts on this forum for the past few years will come up regarding other Impala owners with similar problems and maybe a few remedies you haven't tried.......good luck...
    You can buy the FOB on Ebay for cheap!
  • bonni43bonni43 Member Posts: 2
    The passenger side of my heat/ac climate control no longer lights. Anyone happen to know which fuse supports this light? The owner's manual doesn't seem to provide me with any insight.

Thanks.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    My 2000 Impala has the same problem; my guess is that it isn't a fuse, but likely the actual bulb that burned out. Seems like I posted the question here awhile back, and the sense was that the bulb couldn't be replaced without replacing the entire AC control module. I've never looked into it to confirm that though.