Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    There's only one rear defrost button. I've tried defrosting just pressing that button, and pressing the button and turning the heater/A/C level to it's highest, lowest, etc. (that's what I meant)
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    My other black beauty is a '69 Camaro, 350 auto. It was my daily driver for 15 years. Besides the fact it is a kick in the pants to drive, it was a fantastic learning tool. No computers to fight with, no complex electronics. Engine rebuild, brake job, suspension, body work, I know that car inside & out.

The wife wasn't as enthusiastic about it. No A/C and the ride is stiff. I was told that my next car was to have 4 doors. =) I did get to keep it, so now it's going to be my project car. That is, whenever I finish playing with the Impala...
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks TEO

I must do something with this car. I have exhausted everything that I know in dealing with the hesitation problem.

I guess my next step is contacting GM directly to see what type of response I receive from them. I will see what I can find on the California lemon law. This is all new to me so I am not real sure how to handle it. Do you know if an attorney is usually required to start this process?

The first thing I must do now is give this car a few days of driving to see of the new ignition switch (third one that has been in the car) remedied the problem, before going any further.

This morning it ran great, but this does not mean that it is fixed.

Ron
  • armagostarmagost Member Posts: 10
    A friend heard faint rustling sounds under the hood of her parked car and found an unharmed kitten near the engine. She gave the kitten to us. We named the cat Motor. I call her BIG MO. Mo likes to eat. She once followed a swordfish steak into the oven and nearly got cooked. We rescued her unsynged but toasty. When she purrs, I like to say "the motor is on."

The 3800 Series II V6 costs only "an extra $1000" ??? The MSRP of the LS is $23,225. The base model sedan's MSRP is $19,149.

The Importance of Hipness....

Corolla Front Hip Room: 50.5 in.
    Impala Front Hip Room: 56.5 in.
    Dodge Dakota Front Hip Room: 56.7 in.

Thanks to the Impala's roominess, I won't have to drive it with my knees cramped together. The base model's bench-style front seating will probably be more comfortable than a bucket seat.

I've read posts recommending premium fuel for the Toyota Camry and VW Passat. Hopefully, the Impala doesn't need fancy gas.

GM should take a close look at the Prizm's bumpers. Prizm/Corolla passed the bumper bash test. Does the "pesky air dam spoiler" cost much to replace when it gets damaged?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 3800 Series II V6 is not an exclusive engine for the Impala LS model. You can also option a base model Impala (bench seats, etc) with the 3800 V6, without having to pay extra for the other items included in the LS.

According to GM's GMbuypower website the 3800 V6 option package coded 'L36' for the Impala, lists for exactly $986.00 MSRP and the dealer cost for the 'L36' option for the base Impala is $878.00.

So, yes you can get the base Impala with the L36 engine package for an additional $986.00 over base MSRP.
    In a year, the plastic chin spoiler has taken a beating and it still looks brand new. This piece is very resistant to scrapes, etc. Don't worry about it.
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    Teo, I will post specs on my car short of VIN and license plate numbers. Quite frankly, those are numbers that can be used for "other" purposes by people who choose to follow that lifestyle. I have no problem with the build date or my city. I would have e-mailed this to you but this Forum does not seem to allow for that capability.

On the rear defrost, it is an electrical element in the rear window. Has nothing to do with the defrost on the front windshield. As pointed out, it is an on-off switch on the right of the climate control centre. It was about 5F this morning and the car had a light dusting of snow. I brushed that off and the rear defroster took about five minutes to do the rest: clear the rear window completely. The band of defrost is narrow as others have noted but I have no complaints. Plus, the rear-view mirrors are defrosted as well. A nice feature! Never had that one before. And believe me it is nice when the mirrors are covered with ice. Freezing rain is predicted here for Sunday so I will have another chance to try out the total defrost system: front, back and mirrors. I will let the Forum know how things turn out.
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    The L36 engine (3800) has NEVER been available as a stand-alone option on the base model Impala. It can only be an option if accompanied by either the 1SB or 1SC Equipment Group options. These will add $2203 or $2934 respectively to the base price of the Impala sedan...
  • lovlov Member Posts: 11
    I feel I know each and everyone of you personally, I have been lurking so long. I have read this message board for a few months before I ordered my Galaxy Silver 2001 Impala LS. The dealer had exactly the same car as I ordered on the lot, but I thought the extra two months might give GM more time to make a few changes to some of the parts that were giving some problems. Also the program or price discount you get is the one that is in effect at the time you pick up your car or when the dealer can access a vin #. My local dealer was quite helpful with advice on this indicating that the best deals in our trading area the last few years have always been around the Xmas holiday season or the old advice of the last day of the last month of the end of the year. Anyway, I think he was right because the finance rate went down to 0.9% with nothing to pay for 90 days.
    Anyway, as Platour has mentioned exact vins perhaps could be used by indiscriminates, so I will give mine as 247xxx, approx. made on Dec.20, 2000.

One question: Does USA sold impalas without the leather option have Onstar as standard.
    Mine has the 1sB and premium sound option, with cloth seats but no Onstar.
    Yes you are right. You can't get the L36 3800 V6 option unless you select option package 1SB for the base Impala model.

Thanks for the clarification.
    A base Impala equipped with the L36 engine option ($986.00) plus the mandatory 1SB package ($872.00) lists for $1,858.00 over standard MSRP for the basic Impala model with 1SA option group. Still, it retails much lower than the Impala LS model.
    How did you arrived to $2,203 for the 1SB package and $ 2,934 for the 1SC package??

My numbers don't jive yours.
  • cathy2000cathy2000 Member Posts: 8
    To all who have stumbling and hesitation problems, I urge you to call GM with your problem. I have called GM with my problem, hesitation, they said they need more people to call with this problem before they will place a bulletin out on it. I have had it since the day I bought it. That was 23,000 miles ago. It is getting worse. I have had it in 6 times and still they can not duplicate it. They recommended that I take it to a different dealer. It would really help if everyone who has this problem, would report it.
    Nice to hear from a lurker! The little PhotoPoint album that I put together about six weeks ago has had 1,405 hits so there are more participants than may seem evident. I too went for the 0.9% financing and it sure is a bargain to use GMAC money for the next four years without paying interest. What a bargain! I have the Base Impala because the 3.4L was just fine with me for my type of driving but as the album notes, I wanted the bucket seats and the floor shift. And that is what I found. I did not need the On-Star and other bells-and-whistles as they added about $3,000 to the price. And in Canada with our various taxes, that becomes $4,500. I did not know that the LS could be ordered without On-Star. Are you sure of that? In any case, welcome to the Forum.....

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=223638
    Yes, that problem with cats is vexing. They seek warmth and meet tragedy. Thank goodness your kitten survived! See below for my content, non-outdoor feline. And they do purr like a well-tuned Chevy. On interior room, I have been driving a Saturn SL2 for three years and with my Impala there is a world of difference. I am 6'1" but have had to move the driver's seat "forward" to reach the steering wheel and radio controls. What a difference. I have never driven a Toyota Corolla (see earlier post) but I cannot even imagine that the comfort levels would be close. The Toyota is a very small car, much like the Saturn. Perhaps I have missed something....

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=223638&a=1656231

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I was just wondering if you folks would be interested in having your own area in Town Hall's Owner's Clubs?

Take a look at how it works - you can get there using the "Select Topic" feature on the left sidebar up at the top. Look at what owners of other types of vehicles have available to them and see if you would like something similar.

If you are interested, speak up, and I'll get it arranged for you. It's really very cool.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    If you are speaking of an Impala Owners Forum, I would say yes, certainly. But is that not what we have at the moment? Seems to be a free and easy exchange amongst members at this time. What would be the advantages?
    OnStar is standard equipment on a US LS Impala. I dunno if you can have it deleted. I have cloth seats and the 1SB option package and OnStar.
    Having an "Owner's Club" gives you lots of advantages - you can have all kinds of dedicated discussions. As I suggested, take a look at the existing Owner's Clubs groups to see if you would be interested.

Pat
    Host
    From what I see, the benifit to having an Impala Owner's Club is that we can seperate our discussions and pick and choose what thread to follow.

Pat, do you have to apply for a membership in the club or can anyone who has an account on Edmunds post? What I like about the way we have it now is that anyone can jump in and start a new thread. I looked at some of the other clubs and I didn't see how you could start another discussion title. How do you do that?

What do you all think? I sorta like the way it is now. I may not be interested in all of the posts, but I know I won't miss any good ones.
    I like the idea of having a 'formal' club for us Impala owners; however, as stated by Night_owl how can we ensure that other new participants can join us freely and with no restrictions?
    What will happen is this - this current discussion remains on the Sedans board visible to all participants on this board. It will also be linked to the Owner's Club board so that folks can get to it from either that board or here on the Sedans board (just as you do today). On the Owner's Club board you can have all kinds of other discussions, as many as you can possibly define.

Anyone can post in any discussion in the Owner's Club as long as the person is logged in, just as is true here in this discussion. In other words, there are no more restrictions in the Owner's Club discussions than exist here on the Sedans (or any other) board.

Within the Owner's Club, you can break out this very general conversation into more specific topics - you can't create the discussion subjects yourself, but all you have to do is ask the host KarenS, and she will make them for you.

The advantage that I see is that you can separate your discussions into more logical threads instead of having them all bunched up here in one conversation. Again, look at some of the other Owner's Clubs discussions to get an idea of the possibilities.

The disadvantages that I see are ... well ... NONE at all! :-) Nothing on this end - i.e., the look and feel of this discussion - will change. You just have a new, additional place to expand your conversations.

So whaddya think? All I have to do is ask Karen to do so and she will set you right up. Also this will give you an opportunity to have regularly scheduled live chats amongst each other if you are so inclined. That is another advantage other Owner's Clubs are beginning to experience.

The reason I thought to ask you folks about this is that you are so enthusiastic about your Impalas. I was thinking you might find a place to expand your conversations useful and exciting. Just let me know.

Pat
    Host
  • whippetcatwhippetcat Member Posts: 14
    I vote for the Impala Owner's Club.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    Night_Owl: I have the amp for the speakers in the trunk under the rear deck. The remaining connector may indeed be for a CD changer, but without a wiring schematic or info from the dealer it may be difficult to tell. I found a site on the internet that has both CD changers for the Impala and wiring harnesses. I tried to compare the harness on their site to what I found in the car, but it is hard to tell. Here is a link to that page.

http://www.mnrelectronics.com/par25del12di.html

It has a chat feature? Hey, that's worth it in itself. I say we do it.
  • lovlov Member Posts: 11
    Platour and Night_owl1 -- I actually phoned my dealer a few days after taking delivery of the car to tell him that I seemed to be missing Onstar.
    Actually you might ask why I didn't notice it before I left the dealer's lot, but you all know there is enough toys to play with when a newbie starts driving the impala to miss one for a few days.
    The dealer who I think should probably have informed me of the fact that onstar is only available as standard with the leather seat option 1sc. I checked the 2001 Canadian brochure and he seems to be right.

I think Onstar is more useful in more populated areas anyway. Its biggest attraction for me is the comfort factor in case of an accident in a remote area.

I have noticed that there are very few comments on this board about Onstar and its usefulness or the opposite--would like to hear how others are getting along with it even though I don't have it.
    Well, I have OnStar and I have used it once. That was the call to set up my account. =) If I had to pay for it, I probably wouldn't get it. I have a cell phone and if I got into an accident, I am sure at least 10 people passing by would call it in. I live in Hawaii, so it's not like I am going to get lost driving from state to state so that part of the OnStar service is useless to me.

I do like the fact that if the airbags deploy the car will call OnStar and the operators can dispatch emergency responders to my location. However that would only work if the system still had power. If the accident cut power to the system, you are out of luck. Supposedly, if the car is stolen, you can call OnStar and they can track it. But again, if the power is cut or the thieves disconnect the system, it's not gonna help.
    Again, I really like the idea, specially the fact that most conversations can be separated into specific topics.

The new Impala clubs gets my vote!

TEO
    I spend some time at this Forum in anticipation of summer and the use of my "other" car. I like their format. Just food for thought.

http://corvetteforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Thanks platour. I think - at least I hope - we are through changing formats for the time being. ;-)

I understand that that service was one of the ones evaluated, but in the end Web Crossing (obviously) won out over all that were considered for many reasons.

teo and others - on the Owner's Club, I'll ask Karen to look into it. I'm not sure what her schedule is like, so give it some time. Either she or I will get back to you within a few days.

Pat
    Host
  • dewdrops38dewdrops38 Member Posts: 41
    I have Onstar on a 2001 base modle with cloth seats.

I dont know that I'll purchase it when it runs out. We dont really use it.

We used it a few times. Once just to hear it, once for questions, and another time to let our son hear it. I think we may have used it up to 5 x's just to let others check it out.

I was amazed, the first time I used it, an operator came on "Hello Mr M, you are 1 mile south on 62 outside of Samantha headed south, how can I help you"? What a rush, I was tickled.

I've been meaning to get all the info teo asked for but I haven't had the time yet.

Both our cars are base modles. I'll post more info soon.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I haven't actually looked in on one of the owner's clubs, but from the information that has appeared here, the only downside I can see is the fact that currently we all "hear" everything being discussed. If I understand it correctly, in the club setting there could be different sub-topics for cradle problems, steering shaft problems, mummified feline problems, etc.

I can see where there might be issues like the stereo amp by-pass that came up last year, which I might not generally follow, but I appreciate knowing about should I ever decide to try it. So for those of us who try to read every post, I can see where it MIGHT get a little tedious keeping track of several sub-topics rather than just plowing through one.

I'll try to check out on of the existing clubs this weekend. Sounds like any sense of community that we'd lose by breaking things up into individual discussions might be offset by the live-chat option, though.
  • dewdrops38dewdrops38 Member Posts: 41
    VEHICLE #1
    8-99
    BASE
    NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    3.4L V-6
    Leesburg Ohio
    *preferred equip group 1
    *custom trim
    *am/fm CD
    *pinstripes
    ==========================

VEHICLE #2
    10-00
    BASE
    BLACK
    3.8L V6
    Leesburg Ohio

*EQUIP GROUP 2
    *3.8 ENGINE PACKAGE
    *DRIVER INFO CENTER
    *AM/FM/CD
    *TOURING TIRES
    *PINSTRIPES
    *32 mpg @ 75mph for 2 hours
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    teo... In addition to the Equipment Group option (1SB) required to get the 3800 engine option (L36) on the Impala Sedan, you must also order the touring tires (QNX) and aluminum wheels (QD1).
    Therefore, the additions to the base price are as follows: Equipment Group 1SB - $872
    3800 Engine L36 - $986
    Touring Tires QNX - $ 45
    Aluminum Wheels - $300
    TOTAL REQ'D OPTIONS - $2203
    OK, gotcha!
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    Yesterday I was in the downtown city core (Toronto, Canada)..and I saw a whole bunch of Impalas being used as TAXIS!!! I totally wish they would stop using Impalas in that way! I don't mind that cops use these beautiful cars..but taxi drivers???
    The weird thing is I saw a lot of these taxi drivers using '01 LS impalas to ferry people around!
    Why don't they ever used Honda Accords..Toyotas and other imports as taxi cabs?

Other issues:

1) Did anyone with '00 Impalas get the shims for their engine cradle as suggested in the TSB??

2) With those members that did the radio/amp-bypass..how is the sound in the long run? Any distortions? blown speakers?
    No Taxi cab company in North America will ever consider having a large fleet of Japanese vehicles for heavy duty service. In fact current spec Accords and Camrys probably would not be able to windstand the constant abuse to which a cab vehicle is subjected to on a daily basis. Besides, maintenance, parts and labor would really run up a high bill. The 'forte' of Ford and GM is their ability to meet the needs of the commercial vehicle market. The Asians don't see much of a business in doing so here. This is why we don't have Toyota police cruisers or Honda or Nissan cabs. In other countries around the world, the Japanese have a more significant presence in local commercial markets, but as far as the US and Canada is concerned, Ford and GM still rules.

In fact it makes me happy to see the Impala being extensively used in the commercial market for Police and Taxi cabs. This is a first hand testimonial on the durability of these cars when exposed to heavy duty service. I don't have a problem having my car associated with taxi cabs or Police cruisers....the most desirable American cars have a presence in the commercial markets. I also enjoying seeing the Impala taking on the Ford Crown Victoria as a more economical and still very solid alternative to it. The Ford Victoria is a very sought after vehicle in retail and commercial markets alike and this is why Ford keeps churning them. GM is attempting to position the Impala as a competitor in the same market niche.

Don't worry, commercial uses of the Impala will not affect its reputation or resale value, quite on the contrary, it will enhance its appeal and reputation for durability. What can really affect its reputation and resale value is constant reliability and quality problems....that would worry me much more.

In Europe you see brand new Mercedes Benz E-class sedans being used as taxis. In Paris, this was a very common sight. The problem is that the great majority of Americans are way too much into idolatry of German and european cars in general. For the everyday European citizen a Mercedes E-class sedan is the equivalent of a nice Ford Crown Victoria. But for us, the Mercedes is a status symbol and a public demonstration of sophisticated taste...so most people say.
    You'll be surprised to know that in countries such as Finland, having a brand new US made GM auto is a status symbol often associated with successful people. If you go to the Finnish Opel website, you'll see there a link exclusively for US made GM automobiles...Chevrolet Aleros, Camaros, Corvettes, Suburbans, etc.

In the aftermath of the 1991 Persian Gulf war, there was a great demand for full size American cars like the Chevrolet Caprice, since most of them had been either destroyed, stolen or dismantled during the war. Ask any middle eastern what would be a status symbol aside from a Mercedes Benz...he will tell you a brand new or used Chevy Caprice.
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    Yesterday I was in the downtown city core (Toronto, Canada)..and I saw a whole bunch of Impalas being used as TAXIS!!! I totally wish they would stop using Impalas in that way! I don't mind that cops use these beautiful cars..but taxi drivers???
    The weird thing is I saw a lot of these taxi drivers using '01 LS impalas to ferry people around!
    Why don't they ever used Honda Accords..Toyotas and other imports as taxi cabs?

Other issues:

1) Did anyone with '00 Impalas get the shims for their engine cradle as suggested in the TSB??

2) With those members that did the radio/amp-bypass..how is the sound in the long run? Any distortions? blown speakers?
  • edl79edl79 Member Posts: 14
    09-00/173658/Base/DC/3.8L/Westwood,NJ

4-1/2 mo. and 5700 miles - no problems so far - just noticed yesterday a rattle coming from the left side of the dash, don't hear it with the radio on. Haven't checked the cradle welds yet.
  • jaboniejabonie Member Posts: 4
    Just picked-up the wife's 2001 last Saturday, trading in her 1997 Bonneville. She uses car for business, so accumulates high mileage quickly. About 35 - 40k a year. Thought about another Bonneville, but Impala was less expensive and had the room she needed. She originally was going for Monte, but I talked her out of it because it was only 2 door. The only concern I have early in experience is the tires/suspension seems to transmit a lot of road noise. But, I like the looks of the car, and because it had the 3800 engine, I'm happy with her choice. 01-01/254XXX/LS/JG/3.8L/Owego,NY
    Welcome to the club!

I will be updating the 2001 VIN list sometime later today.

Cheers
    Yes, you are correct. OnStar is optional on the 2001 LS. At least in Canada. It comes with package 1SC. It is an option on the Base model also. As to its utility, it was not for me but here is an article from today's newspaper that may be of interest to Forum members.

"Kingston (Ontario, Canada) police apparently employ some of the same crime-fighting techniques as Batman. With the help of an OnStar satellite tracking device, police pinpointed a 2001 Oldsmobile within 40 minutes of it being stolen. A recently retired school teacher reprted his keys stolen from a locker on February 12. After police faxed a report to Texas-based OnStar, the company found the car behind Lancaster public school and phoned police. When the officer couldn't find the car, OnStar turned on the car's lights and horn so he could follow the sound to the car's location behind a portable classroom."

Well, all I can say is that the global positioning systems (GPS) are pretty darn accurate!
    Just another suggestion. Whatever system you choose, I would recommend that it have the capability to upload photos as is done in www.corvetteforum.com and I am sure other software offerings. It is tremendously entertaining and useful when members wish to share photos of their favourite vehicles or post a "What is this part?" Once members learn the [img]....[/img] command to draw from on-line sources such as Photopoint, it really adds a new dimension to discussions. Rather than "it is the thingy near the doohickey on the right of the engine underneath" type of description, one can see exactly what the poster is referring to. With digital cameras now being virtually ubiquitous, this a required capability, not an option in my opinion. Thanks for listening!
  • edl79edl79 Member Posts: 14
    I have Onstar and personal calling. Unlike almost everyone else in NJ I don't have a cell phone. Onstar by itself is something you don't want to have to use and you hope it works if you need it. I do 85 miles round-trip to work and like having it since I don't have a cell phone. I seldom make phone calls from the car but I've used it enough to know that it's easy to use and that it works - most of the time.

Thursday it snowed during the evening rush and it took me 3 hours to get home. Bumper-to-bumper for 36 highway miles and I couldn't make a phone call with Onstar. My wife was calling me and couldn't get through. I got home, went out to the car with a portable phone and got the same thing plus calling Onstar didn't work either. So I called them on the house phone about 8PM and we tested everything out and it worked fine. They said the problem I had was probably due to high volume cellular usage. That may be with the tremendous traffic on every major road in northern NJ, but if I had a car or medical problem Onstar wouldn't have helped. They also mentioned that they were having some type of issue with Verizon, the carrier in my area and were working around the clock on it. I just wonder if other people sitting in their cars were having the same problem making a call on their cell phones as I was having or does it have something to do with the agreement Onstar has with the celluar carrier. Maybe Onstar users get a lower priority. I'm sure it could be programmed that way but really have no idea.
    Overall it's probably worthwhile but overpriced.
    It's $200 just for Onstar and the 100 minutes I bought was $45 for 12 months. Until you have to use it for an emergency it's an interesting toy. The people at Onstar are very courteous even with a customer as annoyed as I was the other night.
    I am looking forward to the OnStar system on my new '01 LS. I think the best features it offers is the instant GPS location capacity, remote door unlock operation and the onboard vehicle diagnostics.

The feature to locate address comes in handy too and much prefer it to having a Plasma color screen in the center of the dashboard (Looks cool but highly unpractical when driving).

How much is the most 'basic' plan (for the US) and what features does it include?
    Time to drive my new Impala! I returned my leased Saturn SL2 to the dealer last Thursday as the three years had come to an end. It was a nice, dependable car but I wanted something bigger and the styling of their L Series did not appeal to me. So in December, with the lure of 0.9% financing, I bought the Impala Base 3.4L and with what seems to be a fairly rare combo on the Base: bucket seats and a floor shift. My Photopoint album (posted before) shows this in detail. The Impala has sat as I only had 31,000km on the Saturn with a 60,000km maximum. And with the terrible weather this winter, why not use someone else's car? In any case, I have been with the Forum for several months and never had the opportunity to say a few words on the Impala as I basically have not driven it. The time has come....So for what 300km or 180 miles are worth, here are a few comments. The point of comparison is the Saturn.

-the Impala is a large car. I am 6'1" and the seat travel is such that I have had to move forward from the rear-most setting to reach the steering wheel. Somewhat amusing to do that electrically but the novelty will wear off<g>. What a change from rubbing knees on the steering wheel. The back seat is very comfy and the 60/40 split very convenient. That comes with the bucket seat option on the Base.

-the Impala is heavy and takes some getting used to. Steering radius is much larger than the Saturn: it was very nimble. Again, a big car. Lots out front and back. Watch the front in parking lots.

-the 3.4L, to the extent I have used it, is just fine for me. More than adequate power. I had occasion to have four adults in it on the highway and it was an effortless drive. Under those circumstances, the 1.9L Saturn was really strained and was rough. I have not pushed it as this is breakin time but it feels strong. The 3.4L is so smooth at idle that one wonders if it is running! The Base does not have a tach to tell me that.....

-it was 5F this morning. The heater is wonderful! Lots of heat. And the rear defroster cleared the window very efficiently in about five minutes. The band is a little narrow but despite recent posts to the contrary, it works very well. The heated mirrors also work very well.

-fit and finish. I have not gone done to the micro level but everything looks just fine. No squeaks or rattles.

-I have checked the paint from stem to stern. I cannot find a flaw. The car looks wonderful in Silver.

-seats; buckets with Custom Cloth Grey. Powered on driver's side. I have a minor lower back problem but I have found a setting that suits. Very comfortable.

-tires. I have the 225 UniRoyal TigerPaws and they seem to be very quiet, handle well and in a snowy condition on Thursday, pulled and braked well. No complaints.

-engine cradle. With almost no miles I do not know what to say except perhaps my 10/00 build date has given me the extra welds so graphically described by Teo.

-the infamous stereo. I do not know on this one. I have the CD/Cassette with 8-speaker option and put it to one of my ultimate tests today: "We Built This City on Rock & Roll" from Starship-Knee Deep in the Hoopla. It sure did sound fine to me. Deep bass and good treble. Took some tweeking but the stereo does shake the car - even without a boom box<g>.

Overall, I am impressed at this early stage. I have posted a few pics below. You will note (but it is difficult to see) that I have the GM splashguards that have to be modified to fit the 2001 (many posts ago) and the Impala emblems on the doors which I find attractive. They are only $12.00 or so each. As an aside, I went for the dealer paint/rustproofing/interior package from "The Protector" or ECP Incorporated (the latter has a web site). I realize that many do not believe these provide good value but I do have a guarantee against acid rain, paint chip rust, etc. for as long as I own the car. I did not pay the dealer cost but negotiated a lower price. If anyone has any questions on my car, please post. I can also be reached at platour@home.com if you prefer a non-public reply.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=223638&a=11760457

• hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I finally picked up my 2000 Impala LS. It had only 40 miles on it. I was told that the vehicle was sitting in the dealer lot for 285 days!! Just drove back from the dealership. You're not going to believe the price I paid for it.

2000 Impala LS. Galaxy Silver. Leather with no moonroof and no spoiler. Build date: 05/00.

$23,963 MSRP
    -$4,600 Dealer blowout price
    -$1,000 Mfg Rebate
    -$1,000 Auto Show Rebate
    -$3,725 My GM card rebate

Total drive out price including tax, doc, and registration.....$15,463!!

I was somewhat concern about buying this vehicle with 05/00 build date because of the engine cradle problem and engine hestitation. But for this blowout price, I couldn't resist!

Special thanks to Teo and everyone else who contributed to this board. Lets hope I get trouble free miles!! I keep my ears open for those clunking noises. uggh.

BTW, I may consider selling my LS 5 spoke wheels. If anyone interested, please send me an e-mail.....HVan7756@aol.com. My asking price is $700 OBO. I will eat the delivery charge.

Go Impala!
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Glad you like your new Impala so much. It is great road car. I just did another 120 in mine today. Very comfy.

I have no problem with my rear defroster either and I'm in my second February with this car.

If and when you get the chance, please post the model and ref number of your trunk amp.

On the 2000 it was a Matsushita Model No.10432572, Ref No. CY-BG2911ZC.
    I'm curious if they changed it.
  • geo25geo25 Member Posts: 3
    After driving the Chev Impala,Pontiac Boniville,Toyota Camry,Buick LeSabre,Ford Tarus,Mercury Sable,and Honda Accord,GM just doesn't seam to get it that people want Quality when they buy a new car.
    The Chev. Impala seams to be a very nice car at first look.Then I read about alot of you people trying to get GM to buy them back for various unsolvable problems.Good luck dealing with the jerks at GM.,been there and done that years ago;see the jerks are still there.I know you can get a lemon in any car,but GM seems to have a bumper crop of them in the new Chevrolet Impala.
    I hope you guy's can get your money back and get away from the GM Junkmobiles. As for me I am really enjoying my new TROUBLE FREE Honda Accord EX V6.
    Thanks for all the insite on the problems with the new Chev. Impala.
    geo25