Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I don't know what 'GM junk' you had in the past, but my experiences with GM so far have been far superior to Ford or Honda of which I have owned their products in the past. True I had problems with my Impala (Steering shaft and A/C Compressor) but GM has been extremely responsive as well as my dealer. GM did not put up a fight and to keep me happy they are buying back my '00 Impala LS and getting me into a new '01 LS. I love the Impala and none of the current market rice burners do anything for me, including your beloved Honda.

Sorry to hear your GM experience was negative. Mine has been wonderful ;-)
  • Options
    Keep your eyes and ear open for interior rattles, trasmission clunks when shifting into reverse, fuel boil overs and the other myrad of problems reported by your fellow Honda Accord V6 EX owners...good luck my friend in dealing with American Honda when you develop problems!

The other side of the fence is not always greener, ain't it?
  • Options
    iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    fastfoodman? is that you?
  • Options
    platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    Nope, they have not changed it (10/00). Those are the numbers on my amp. Perhaps my expectations are not as high as some others in terms of sound. It is a nice system for my listening purposes.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Congrats on your bargain-basment price on the 2000 Impala LS! Sure you take some risks with the 2000 model as opposed to the slightly refined 2001 model, but not enough to justify the extra $4k+ you'd have paid for it. With a build date of 5/00, you've gotten one of the last of the 2000 lineup, so at least your's should have any early build problems corrected.

One question - I was under the impression the most one could build up on the GM card was $3,500 (I cashed in about $3,200 when I bought my base model back in March of last year), how did you manage to rack up over $3,700 in earnings?
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    A few dozen posts ago, someone mentioned some comparisons of the Toyota Corolla to the Impala. As the 6'0" owner of both a '95 Prizm LSI and a '00 Impala (base model w/3.8L engine), I can assure you I'm much more comfortable driving the Impala than the Prizm. The Prizm may have virtually the same leg and head room as the Impala, but there isn't much room to the left or right for your legs in the Prizm. My Impala with the bench seat not only gives me more hip room, but by not having a center console, I have much more lateral room to spread out leg-wise.

Entry/exit of the Impala is also much better than the Prizm. Even with the seat pushed all the way to the rear limit, and the steering wheel tilted all the way up, my knees still hit the steering wheel on the Prizm (which is primarily driven by my 5'3" wife, so it isn't really an issue for her).

I opted for the 3.8 liter engine based on it's proven reliability, but the fact that this engine package also includes ABS, traction control, and upgraded tires/wheels made it worth the extra money. However, if I had to choose between a loaded Corolla and a base Impala with the 3.4 engine, I think I'd take the Impala purely from a safety standpoint.

Having driven the Impala for a year, my wife and I are seriously considering trading in the Prizm now (as opposed to waiting 3-4 more years as originally planned) due to the feeling that the car is just too darn small to feel safe. With all the SUVs on the road, I want my family to have the safest ride we can afford (a run in with a Ford Expedition and my old Celica is what spurred me to buy the Impala in the first place). The Corolla/Prizm is fine for one person, but even hauling our two young daughters (ages 8 & 3) starts to make the Prizm feel cramped.
  • Options
    Too much time on my hands tonight. The 3.8L is advertised by GM as an "award winning engine." Who accorded this award? And why? Did my lowly 3.4L pushrod engine ever get any accolades from GM or the press? Or is "tried, tested and true" good enough for assurance of long-term reliability? What is the history of the 3.4L? I had a 1978 Malibu with what seems to be a remarkably similar block configuration but it was 200cid at that time and RWD, of course. Although it is difficult to see beyond that massive intake system on the 2001.....I do wonder if GM has progressed very far over time. And if they have not, perhaps that is the proverbial good thing. I read that the 3.4L DOHC Lumina engine was not a master stroke in technology compared to the pushrod version. Why did GM not put the DOHC in the Impala? It would seem that a 3.4L with DOHC would out-perform the 3.8L pushrod engine....Just inviting discussion; I do not know. Do love the push-rod low-end torque, however. One of the reasons I went for the Impala.
  • Options
    fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I just bought my 2001 Impala LS last weekend and I cant get enough of the car. I just simply love it. It far exceeds my expectations. Its a joy to drive, and I find any excuse to drive it. :) I drove Caprice Classic's for over twenty two years of my life, and went to the 98 Lumina when trading in my 89 Caprice. I couldnt get another Caprice because Chevy stopped making the car and there wasnt a Impala to be found. When I test drove the Impala last week, I was hooked and made a deal. The Impala LS.... a fine car.
  • Options
    Yes, they have made some bad products over time but what manufacturer has not? I am not in an informed position to compare a number of cars one with the other as an owner but I have driven Saturns (GM) for six years and I can say that it is a good product. My 1995 had front brake rotor warping problems but they were fixed at no charge and with no hassle. My 1998 Saturn was flawless until I took it off-lease last week. I stayed with GM with a 2001 Impala because of my basic belief that North America (the Impala is built in Canada) has cleaned up its QA/QC act. I went to Chev simply be cause I needed a bigger car and the Impala had most if not all of the features I was looking for....and more. And at a reasonable price! I enjoyed the post earlier today re the Toronto, Ontario taxis going to the Impala. Firstly because their current vehicles need an upgrade from 1986 Caprices but secondly, they are making a wise investment in terms of maintenance. Check the typical costs of changing out brakes, shocks, mufflers and the like between Japanese cars and Impalas. And these are costs that are real for those who make their living in that profession. I do not but the costs of replacement parts are striking. So, good luck with the Honda. I put out $17.00US last year for disc brake pads for four wheels on my 1979 Corvette (Muskegon Brake).....
  • Options
    dogsruledogsrule Member Posts: 13
    Hello, Just another lurker coming out of the closet.

After driving a glorified Honda Civic ('88 Acura Integra loaded) for the last 13 years, I am not really looking forward to another great 13 years in a white-bread Honda Accord EX V6. What I really want is a 01 Impala LS loaded. I am buying it in Orlando and it will reside in the hills of Ohio after the fall.

So... Do I opt for the No Charge NG1 Northeast Emissions Package? What's the benefits. I'll definitely get the K05 Block Heater.

Also... Recommendations for a Extended Warrantee Company? I'm a collector, not a dealer.

Thanks to all the great names for the info. Because of y'all, the salesman whispered to his pit boss I was an 'educated buyer'. I guess that's a code word for...?
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The 3.4l pushrod is a new incarnation of the 3.1l engine. You can compare the pictures at the following sites:

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/31_eng.htm

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/34_eng.htm

A friend told me that the 3.1l GM engine is descendant of 2.8l one, popular in 1980-ths.

My wife and I have a 1998 Malibu with 3.1l, and 2000 Regal with supercharged 3.8l. We also drove for a month a rental 1999 GrandAM with 3.4l engine, the same as in your Impala. And test-drove Impala with the both engines.

We like the 3.1l engine. The 3.4l is even better with the GA: great torque curve, almost flat from 1800 to 4500 rpm. Though, comparing them with the 3.8l one would be unfair. The later engine is outstanding.

Additionally, we had impression that Impala was somewhat under powered with 3.4l. You know, the car is much bigger than GA. Though, both of us enjoy the good acceleration somewhat out of proportion. Personal tastes...

• Options
    urrrgh!
  • Options
    here are some links for your reading pleasure:

http://members.tripod.com/wes_poppenhager/lumina.htm

• Options
    Sorry this new forum application doesn't let me post for some reason all these links all together in one message:

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/whitmore/98Chevrolet.Lumina.LTZ.rt.html

• Options
    But I have learned from re-building old cars that electric connections/connectors can be maintained in good order by a small blast of WD-40. So, why not do it with a new Impala? We are talking $3.00? Takes about 10 minutes with the little hose extension and a bit of paper towel for the overspray. Hit every electrical connection you can see and even various clamps here and there. For those of us in the salt belt, it can delay the onset of calcium induced corrosion. Cheap insurance. Does not take much time or money.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    <<One question - I was under the impression the most one could build up on the GM
    card was $3,500 (I cashed in about $3,200 when I bought my base model back in
    March of last year), how did you manage to rack up over $3,700 in earnings?>>nosirrahg

I received my GM card when it was first introduced. I think it was back in 1994/1995. At the time, we were allowed to accumulate up to $7,500 in GM rebate points within 7 years. Once you reach past the 7 years without redeeming the points, you lose the points on a revolving 12 months.

Now, that I have redeemed my points, I'm going to cancel this GM card. I already have another GM card that has 1,200 points. I'll sign up for Ford card too.

Go Impala!
  • Options
    Generally, I'm not too excited about American cars. I have owned import cars in the past. I was "technically" forced into buying a GM car due to my GM card rebate points.

I had done a thorough research on all GM cars under $25K. I have to tell you, my first test drive on the Impala was amazing. I couldn't believe the awesome handling of the vehicle, the power, and the quality of the Impala. Immediately, I was hooked on Impala. From then on, I continued to read up on this board, along with other trade journals.

If the only big problem on the Impala is the engine cradle, then I can live with it. There's already a TSB, so I'm not too concern about my vehicle being affected. Not every car is 100% defect free on the 1st year model. You will always expect a few "bugs".

Since you have mentioned your new Accord EX V6, congratulations on your new vehicle. As a past owner of a 1995 Accord EX, I had my fair share of trouble. Since this forum is not about Accord, I will not go into details.

When I took ownership of my LS today, my sister came by to check out my new vehicle. She was wowed about the handling and the affordibility of the Impala. She checked out the car brochure and asked many questions. She currently drives an Infinity Q45. She bitched about paying premium gasoline on her Q45. Who knows, there may be another faithful owner of the Impala?

Go Impala!
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    In part, you wrote:

"2) With those members that did the radio/amp-bypass..how is the sound in the long run? Any distortions? blown speakers? "

MY ANSWER:
    I was the second amp bypasser in June 2000. I have no problems with the sound - thoroughly enjoy it. It's especially good at low to mid levels with very good clarity and realism - on radio, CD and tape.

High listening levels WITH the amp were never a problem but I don't play a car radio that way.

My wires have not come loose - though I do wish there was a bridged plug that accomplished the same effect.

I have not blown any speakers - though it would be easily possible if you overdo the bass - particularly at high volume. Of course, cranked up that high - you're asking for more than blown speakers.

Incidentally, IMO, the IMPALA audio systems withOUT the trunk amp sound just fine.
  • Options
    I have to wonder why a person who owns a LEXUS (as it says in your profile) would even be looking at an IMPALA or buying a Honda.

Your style and spelling are reminiscent of the disgruntled "fastfoodman" who spammed this board several months back under various aliases. If you are not him, I apologize.

One thing you did write that I do agree with is that:
    "I know you can get a lemon in any car..." SAD BUT TRUE.

I have a close relative who just bought a Honda EX a month ago. No problems so far.

I bought our IMPALA LS a year ago and fortunately has required NO repairs in 13,000 miles.

To extrapolate that a handful of posters here with legitimate problems leading to buy-backs indicts the whole IMPALA line is ludicrous.

As another poster pointed out - Hondas are showing up with problems of their own as read in their forum. Hopefully yours will not be among them.
  • Options
    bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    It's taken over a month of test drives and comparison shopping but I bought
    the NB (navy) 2001 Impala LS last nite. Onstar included for 1st year- Doubt I'll
    renew- we'll see. Paid under dealer invoice but had to see 3 dealers before
    I could even get that close. Let you know how things go.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I don't know what you did with your plug in relation to keeping it in place, I wrapped a cable tie around the whole mess and just cinched it up, holds fine, I stuffed the plug back up inside and continue to have great sound from my stereo especially at low levels like you were saying. I'm glad I did it, just bummed I had to pay extra for that crappy amp...
  • Options
    jsbigjsbig Member Posts: 5
    I am strongly considering purchasing a fully loaded Impala LS from a local dealer in the Minneapolis area. The dealer has "no haggle" pricing set at approx. dealer invoice. However, there is a $750 factory to dealer incentive, so I would think I could pay less than dealer invoice.

What type of pricing is available on the LS with some good negotiation?

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    Check with your employer- credit union or whatever organizations you are affiliated with.
    I was able to take in a letter with an offer to sell any Chevy at $50 over dealer invoice to
    my dealer and started negotiations from there. Made it alot less painful.
  • Options
    this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Has anyone found a set of deflectors for the LS that DO NOT get mounted on the outside molding? i'm looking for the style that secure into the window track.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Probably the wrong time of the year to talk about the a/c but you asked. I had to turn it on the other day on the way home from work. In this past summer it worked great, cooled the car off quickly, not as good as previous Caprices however, they had wonderful a/c's but this car is pretty good at cooling off.

I find that I don't use the rearview mirror very much and so even on days when I could use the defroster I don't use it. I use my side mirrors much more (I drive a delivery truck and I'm used to it) and since they get clear quicker it's not a problem really. Teo glad to see you defending the Impala again!
  • Options
    You probably already know but I'll mention for all that the A/C pumps out a lot more cold air on RECIRCULATE than on fresh air.

I've done nothing with the disconnected amp plug and power plugs in the trunk. It's just hanging in there. Your idea of using a cable tie and tucking it up out of the way is a good one that I will heed.
  • Options
    I contacted the people at www.carbras.com re a protector for the leading edge of my hood. And I wanted vinyl, not hard plastic for eae of removal for washing. I did not want the entire bra. I found they do not offer the hood part as a separate item. After some gentle prodding, I was able to persuade them to sell me just that component of the entire kit. Price is about $39.00. If you are interested, I dealt with Ken Sargent.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, Bdime! Yes, we have an program thru my employer where we can purchase at $50 over invoice. I have not checked yet to confirm that my price would be reduced by the $750 dealer incentive, but that is the deal I hope to negotiate with my local dealer.

Any sense for where folks are generally ending up on pricing?
  • Options
    I do not belong to an Association that deals with dealer invoice so I went with internet sources that gave me a good idea of what that might be. And that figure is of course complicated by volume discounts, factory incentives, etc. that most of us are not aware of. My deal in early December was 9.5% off MSRP and 0.9% financing and no payments for 90 days; I thought that was a nice combination. It alIowed me to clear out the lease on my 1998 Saturn (three days ago) and now start driving the Impala. The Saturn was my day-to-day for the worst of the winter. I would have pushed it further but I wanted the base car with buckets and floor shift. There was only one on the lot but many with the column shift and bench seats. The dealer was really pushing the bench seat version with alloy wheels. (Sometimes GM does have peculiar packages.) I did not want alloys in this salt belt. He would have gone further with those models but dug in his heels with my choice. So I went for it. No regrets. Members are free to criticize.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Go to the accessories page on my site, click on NAISSO Impala Superstore, go to the 2000 Impala Accessories page. You'll find what you are looking for. No photo though =(

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

• Options
    Actually, I use a silicone spray. When there is moisture in the distributor cap, a quick blast of silicone spray will displace the moisture and everything will fire up fine. I think the reason WD-40 was not recommended was that it is an oil and will burn in certain conditions.

However, I don't think there is any risk of that considering the electrical conditions you are talking about. =).
  • Options
    You had your Impala all this time and you only drove it now?!?! I drove it all over the first day I got it and volunteer to drive whenever we go out.

You have got more willpower than I. =)
  • Options
    Here in Southern CA, there are many Chevrolet dealerships. Lately, I have noticed that dealers are marking $2K off MSRP. In addition, in SC, we get $1K off on mfg rebate, and $1K off for Auto Show rebate to those who live in Orange County or San Diego County. After everything is said and done, anyone looking to buy an LS can get between $2.5-$3.5K off MSRP. In addition, there's a big promotion for 0.9% financing on 2001 Impala.

There's a dealership in Lake Forest, CA. Joe MacPherson Chevrolet, that had a navy blue Impala (not LS) with 3.8 V6 engine. Sticker price is $22.1K. This dealership is taking $3.1K off MSRP. In addition, $1K off for mfg rebate, and $1K off for auto show rebate. Total sale price comes to $16.9K!! This is the 2nd week they promoted on the same vehicle. The build date on this vehicle is 12/00.

The way the slower economy is going, I would never buy anything at or near invoice. As an opportunistic shopper, I wait until there is a sale (loss leader). Fortunately for me, I found a 2000 Impala LS for $6.6K off.
  • Options
    Could be an age thing as I have had many cars in my time. They are tools/appliances to a certain extent: get you to work and to the cottage. And this winter has been terrible. See my post earlier today re snow, freezing rain and sleet. No car is fun to drive in those conditions. It was downright dangerous to get to the local shopping centre this morning with the ice on the roads. So, I burned off the last three months in my Saturn lease in the worst of the winter. Now, when April comes the adrenalin will flow. That is when the car below comes out of winter storage. An all Chevrolet driveway this summer<g>.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=223638&a=11779932

• Options
    calgalred3calgalred3 Member Posts: 1
    This 2000 base Impala with anti-lock brakes (and sunroof) has been driving a dream for 15,000 miles since November 1999. In Connecticut we've had our share of snow and slush and appreciate the anti-lock brakes this winter. Now the ABS light has come on, indicating a service is necessary. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Will I have enough brakes to make it to the dealer? Other than this problem, the car has been so wonderful did not keep current with this site! Appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    According to the owners manual, if your ABS light comes on and says on while driving, stop as soon as possible. Turn off the ignition and turn engine back on to reset the system. At this time, your ABS light should disappear.

If the ABS light still comes on after you have tried this procedure, then, yes, you need service.

You should have absolutely no problem driving to your nearest service dealership. Drive with caution though.

Good luck.
  • Options
    hoagie1hoagie1 Member Posts: 1
    i have been driving a minivan for the past 6 years now my husband and i want to try a car. we live in upstate ny where we get a lot of snow and ice has anyone had any trouble in the winter and did you put snow tires on? we are also hearing alot of people complaining about rear seat discomfort any opinions? thanks michelle
    albany ny
  • Options
    I've had no problem in snow with our LS. LS comes with Goodyear Eagle GA tires. They are NOT quiet on many road surfaces BUT they have excellent traction on wet roads. 4 ply tread, 2 ply sidewall.

Underside clearance would be less with the Impala than an SUV or maybe even some minivans. Then again, with the lower center of gravity, sedans tend to roll over less often.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses regarding pricing.

When I took a test drive with my wife we drove the LS with the leather seats. I am 6'7" tall and I had to push the head rest up so that it did not hit my upper back.

I looked at the seat again today and it seems that the head rest for the leather seat sits forward more than the standard cloth bucket seats.

My wife and daughter will be the primary drivers, but I am curious as to whether any others have compared the comfort of the cloth bucket seats to the leather bucket seats.

Thanks
  • Options
    The recipe is a secret of course. But it does leave a water-repellant residue (silicone?). The carrier solvent is rumoured to be kerosene so the comment on fire may be valid. But, that evaporates very quickly and as long as the engine is not running when the job is done, there is no problem. There are, of course, similar products that serve the same purpose. My point is that a 30-minute once around with a spray bottle can prevent electrical misery downstream. Another one of my favourites for battery cables, starter cables, spark plug boots and the like is di-electric grease. Marvellous product; prevents corrosion and conducts electricity at the same time. About $5.00 for a tube. Again, cheap insurance.
  • Options
    Surprisingly enough, WD-40 does not contain kerosene, silicone, wax, or graphite. WD-40 is 60%-70% Stoddard solvent, 15%-25% petroleum based oil, 2%-3% CO2, and <10% inert ingredients. So the residue is probably just a light oil. Amazing what you can find on the internet these days. I didn't know that the WD-40 company also makes Lava soap. So after you get oily, you can clean up. They got you covered on both ends. =)

Not only is it great for displacing water and preventing corrosion as you noted, but you can use it to remove sticky residue left by old decals and price tags, take off gum from your shoes or car mats, clean paint from your hands. Gotta love it.
  • Options
    Have to be a little cautious with the vin #- I'll be waiting till you post your
    home phone # (just kidding) but rest of info: 01 Impala LS build date 8/00
    color NB (with gray leather interior) options: driver info center, leather buckets and
    Stereo/CD. Let me know if you need something else for your list.
  • Options
    I have a '00 Impala LS with cloth seats and 'Halo' headrests. I have found the cloth seats to be very comfortable and the cloth material to be of good, consistent quality. I haven't had any problems with lint or static on the seats. I prefer cloth due to the fact that I live in hot weather (Miami)and cloth usually is more 'fresh' during our warm and muggy days which is most of the year. Also, cloth seats seem to hold me much better during cornering and most driving situations so they have an added benefit in the comfort dept.

Leather seats might look nicer, but for my environent the material doesn't work or hold up to well. leather requires regular maintenance or else the seat surfaces will crack, peel, fold and discolor with regular use. I personally despise the look of leather seats on a car that is 3 to 4 years old. However, if you live in Snow country, then leather is the way to go. Reason is that you get the highly acclaimed seat warmers for those rigorous winters. That in itself makes plunking an additional $1000 for the leather an useful investment.

If you don't need the seat warmers, you'll be happier with the cloth interior....and...invest those $1000 that you just saved on a good GM Majorguard extended warranty instead.

Headrests: The "Halo" headrests (Cut out design) look very nice and sporty but they are HARD as ROCKS. They are definitely not made to rest your head on them. This is not much of a big deal for the driver but for the front passenger on long road trips. I had to buy a car travel pillow for my wife just for this purpose. I don't think the leather covered 'Halos' are any different.

The normal headrests on the Base Impala seems to be more head comfort friendly but I have no experience on how they feel in comparison to the 'halos'. I don't know if Chevy allows you to swap the halos for normal padded headrests when you buy the car (They both fit nicely in the front seats)...check with your dealer to explore that option.

The front seats of the Impala are extremely comfortable. the back seat is room but I have noticed that the seatback of the rear seat is kinda hard and too upright, but not too bad overall.
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I've been away,, but is there any news on a owner's board for the Impala faithful?
    That would be very cool.

They're running insentive ads on T.V. right now (every 10 minutes it seems) for $1000 off on the Impalas and one thing keeps bugging me over and over again. This is the best place to ask this question, even if it's stupid. But .....

How do you pronounce the name of this car??? Seems to me the guy on T.v. says it incorrectly.

Do you say "Im PAL a" like a Pal... or "Im Paul A" like Paul????

Maybe I'm getting it wrong. But the guy on t.v. says Im PAL A and it drives me nuts.

Let's take a vote.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the 'X-Files' last night?

Agents Skinner and Scully were driving around in a nice '01 Galaxy Silver Impala LS with Spoiler and the OnStar backglass antenna. Nice exposure the car is receiving from that show.

I like the recent '24/7/365' ads from Chevy. There is a new one I saw over the weekend about the Impala LS with the OnStar, very nice commercial indeed.
  • Options
    Last year's theme for the 2000 Impala...'See the USA in your Chevrolet'....too bad they decided to remove it for the '01 model year marketing.
  • Options
    Any update on the 'Y2K Impala' club?
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Cookie - The name game may be a regional peculiarity. Here in the Boston area (where everyone knows there is NO regional accent!) we pronounce the kah as Im-PAL-ah.

My guess is that anyone on LonG Island or in New Joisey would call their cor an Im-PAUL-er.

What do you Texans say?

Ken
  • Options
    cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I'd like to know what those up North call the car.
    Seems like half the people on this board are from Canada!