Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    We have used 2 Grand Marquis sedans as family cars for the past 8 years as we outgrew the Taurus wagon (try putting 3 car seats in one of those). Yes we could have gone the minivan route but already had the wagon and I wanted a big sedan for my commute and needed something with a frame for boat towing anyway so traded a Camry for the first GM and then traded for another 4 years later. Took several extended road trip vacations, loaded the trunk with Christmas presents for the holidays, etc - always had plenty of room and a very comfy ride for the every day commute. Both cars were used - cheap to buy and run, long lasting, and as sexy as an elephant in a bikini!

Glad to be in my Bonneville now (the old GM still running strong as back-up) - but the AARP set aren't the only ones getting their money's worth out of the flying bricks.

Have a great day, all

Ken
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    They also make GREAT Police Cars! I considerd a 1998 Cr Vic with the Handling & Perf Pkg before I bought my LS in 12/99. That particular CR Vic lacked a few required items, Traction Control and ABS, I couldn't do without those 2 items with a RWD car so I Traded my Monte Carlo for an Impala and stayed with the Chevrolet Family, Although I still like the Cr Vics with the Handling package. I always thought they were tough looking, I saw a pic in a recent magazine of a Burgandy Monochromatic Paint scheme on a 2001 Cr Vic and different 17" Rims and a MSRP of $26.000....Looked nice to me, that Mercury Maruader will get sooooo Watered down from the Prototype Show Car Version that it will hardly be as exciting as the show car a few years ago... Don
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    Yes, that is Marvel Mystery Oil. A friend in the US sent it to me as I have a minor piston ring problem that pops up each year after winter storage. It is not common in Canada but it has many followers internationally amongst users of cars, outboard motors, aircraft engines and even go-karts. I believe it has been around since 1924 so it must do something right. It is basically a form of penetrating oil that is used in the gas tank, the crankcase; anywhere lubrication is needed. A product like this used to be called a top end oil and valve lubricant. I do not know if it works but will try it this summer.

The Corvette is a money pit basically because it is 23 years old. There is always something to fix although a lot of that is Saturday afternoon, let's tear something apart recreational work. The build date is November 6, 1978 as a 1979 model. GM Canada has these type of records (they have a very thorough info kit). For example, there were 5,535 1979 Corvettes exported to Canada of which 1,607 were the high-performance L-82 model. The Ontario Ministry of Transport gives me the original date of licensing (i.e. date of original sale) and the date of subsequent sales and names of owners. I am the second owner having bought it in September of 1986. Parts are generally not expensive on the mechanical side although trim items can be pricey. Here are a few parts I have stocked this winter as an example. Compare these to a newer car, even an Impala (US dollars).
    -four AC Delco Reactek gas shocks at $26.00 each (GM)
    -rebuilt Rochester QuadraJet four-barrel carb - $175.00 (local shop)
    -new AC Delco fuel pump - $45.00 (GM)
    -complete front end rebuild kit (4 ball joints, 4 tie rods, 2 stabilizer end links, upper and lower control arm bushings and idler arm - $165.00 (Muskegon Brake)
    -two tie rod adjusting sleeves - $35.00 (GM)
    -front sway bar bushings and clamps - $12.00 (GM)
    -new GM high-torque mini-starter - $175.00 (GM) ( I have a heat-soak problem with the standard starter; very common)
    -organic brake pads for four wheels - $17.00 (Muskegon Brake)
    -rebuilt AC Delco 71amp alternator - $50.00 (GM)
    -etc....

It sounds like a lot but my front end is as it came from the factory and it is due. With replacements above, it will be good for another 20 years . And although I driven cars under warranty for the last six years, and have not purchased these type of parts lately, those prices are probably reasonable compared with the cars of today. Thanks for your interest!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Your Corvette was built at the time when bell bottom pants, Polyester suits, John Travolta and Disco music were at their all time high!!.

Very beautiful car indeed and I am sure it will join the ranks of the 1960's Corvettes in price and uniqueness.

22 Years is a lot of service lifespan for a car that maybe was intended to last only 5 years...well after all it is a Corvette so it was probably built with longetivity in mind.

I wish I had one of those *money pits* myself!
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hello all,

My low coolant light came on today. What do I need to add? water? antifreeze? what?
    Take it to the dealer. They'll need to make sure that your car doesn't have any anti-freeze leaks around the cooling system. They also need to check the radiator, hoses and also make sure that the water pump hasn't experienced a premature failure.

Adding water will not permanently solve the problem(s), take it in as soon as possible.

very weird, haven't seen or heard anyone with the coolant light coming on.

Keep us posted.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    AARP? I can't join them for another 42 years. If the membership age is 65...
    Well, I go back a little further than John Travolta and Donna Summers. Let's try Jan and Dean and the Beach Boys. And of course, Roy Orbison (Pretty Woman). The first song that is played when the Vette comes out of hibernation each year is The little Old Lady From Pasadena. Still snow here and 20F tonight so May is the target. Never was into Chrysler products (wedge 413) but it is a cute song. Dead Man's Curve by Jan and Dean is just great also: XKE and Stingray. Love to have a 1967 427 but....just bought a new Impala . BTW, on your comment on five years I would have to dispute somewhat. Chev V8s are virtually undestructible unless you hit 6,000rpm consistently and that is for a stock engine. They can go higher with mods. I sure would like to see an LS1 in an Impala although the torque steer might make that not practical. People who speak of the SS Impala should consider the engineering challenges. My Vette can go sideways fairly easily at the back even with Positraction. Having that occur at the front is an entirely different safety matter for a modern sedan.
  • watusiwatusi Member Posts: 17
    i was wondering if anyone has any information on these, ie what they look like. on the gm site the only picture they show is of what looks to be a sunbird....any help would be appreciated, going to the dealer for this kind of information is a pain....pn is 12496440 (black)

also rksport (although they dont have a 2kimpala section) has a device for the 3.8 camero called an air temp modual. it attaches to the air temp sensor and the harness,and is supposed to give max spark advance while maintaning knock sensor...claims a gain of 5-7 hp....think a device like this would actually work? $25 is well worth it for a few xtra hp
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    thanks for the Crosley ad info.

There are many Crosley Club members in the Ohio area. I will post the info just in case some one did not see the ad.

Cadillac is talking of a new RWD car. I wonder what may be blowing in the wind? A return to more RWD platforms? I doubt it.
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hello all;

I haven't been around lately, but I'm glad to see this board continues to prove how well the Impala is Made:)

Well, after 4 trips to the Dealer, the Remote Entry problems is apparently about to be fixed. There is a TSB out for the Remote Entry, which includes replacing the entire instrument cluster to fix the problem. Car goes in tomorrow morning for the new unit, let's hope my key less entry system finally works like it is supposed to!

Ciao
    Paul
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    JefferyW1, about kidney stones, I was just reading in a health book, it says to avoid foods that contain or lead to the production of oxalic acid (asparagus, beets, beet greens, eggs, fish, parsley, rhubarb, sorel, spinach, swiss chard, cabbages, also alchohol, caffeine, chocolate, cocoa, dried figs, nuts, pepper, poppy seeds, black tea, refined sugar and products with it, be moderate with dairy products, avoid antacids with dairy products, but MAINLY animal fats and protein).

OK, sorry about the off topic!
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    JeffreyW1, I was gonna say I haven't had any trouble with kidney stones...rock chips have been a nuisance though, causing much pain in the front of the hood and windshield.

Seriously, though, glad to hear you and teo (AKA toe) are back on the trail again. Let's keep the doctor away except for exams to prove we're OK.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    I'm having trouble with my gas mileage driver center readout too. spouse says to leave it be
    and it will correct itself. If it's not reading more accurately I'll ask them to check it at 3
    month checkup-oil change..:) Moorphius909- can you share the TSB # for the
    remote entry- this might be part of my problem or maybe it's just the non integration
    of the add-on alarm and the factory alarm. I might have to start hollering a bit
    when I go in- or maybe I won't need to if it's related. Thanks
    I could be wrong (not quite there yet) but I think some of those AARP
    clubs sign you up at age 50 or 55. We can't retire though until 67& 1/2!
    Unless of course you win the lottery and don't need the insurance! :}
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Hey, I've been robbed. My LS does not come with coin holder. Uggh. I have been using the small ash tray as my coin holder. hehe.
  • northerntouchnortherntouch Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody.

Just received my Impala ls a few weeks back. Could anyone tell me what thease RPO codes mean----7HM, 8LR,1P3,9LR,R7K,W01,1SB,AND 6HM. I have ordered the service manual and I could not find thease codes anywhere.
    Thanks
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    You're blessed in that you passed the kidney stones. After my father had them, he was advised to drink CRANBERRY JUICE on a daily basis. It worked. Read the label and get the highest percentage of real juice. The chemical make up of the CJ has something to do with preventing the stones from forming or helping to break them down once they've formed (if they are not too advanced) Ask your doctor - he may put it down but for my father it worked. As others have written, diet is critically important to preventing stones form in the first place.

A health crisis really does put dual exhausts and car radios and everything else in perspective.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    You can read some of the codes here:

http://www.edmunds.com/vehicles/2001/chevrolet/impala/ls4drsedan38l6cyl4a.html

For example, 1SB means "Preferred Equipment Group 1/LS". W01 - heated seats.

Try also Kelly Blue Book at kbb.com, and GM configurator at www.gmbuypower.com

I will post the TSB Number once I get the car back from GM with the Work Order/Invoice.

Ciao
    Paul
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    My aunt and cousin both have problems with kidney stones. I'm not sure what the procedure is called but the doctor will send some type of wave into body to break up stones. I imagine if you're of the male persuasion that they'll knock you out first. I guess it beats surgery! Also drinking a minimum of 2 quarts of water a day help. (You probably already know about the water)

Hope you get it under control!
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for all of your thoughtfulness.

captain - it is very hard to do without chocolate :)

medium fry - I hate those rock chips, too. Although I have not had many occur on my Impala AS, there was one pen point chip in the center of the windshield when the car arrived at the dealership. However, for my pickup that is another story. I have so many stars on the windshield that I might name it "the Galaxy". LOB

duraflex - funny thing you mentioned cranberry juice. My doctor told me to drink c., but did not tell me why and when I mentioned it to my twin brother (who has had more kidney stones than I), he said he was told by his doctor that cranberry juice would cause kidney stones.

steel - yes, I drink plenty of water and it is mainly what I drink period throughout the day.

May all have a great day!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I agree that the paint seems softer than one would expect. I guess this is the result of environmentally friendly paint.
    Stacy - most of us were born this way and very high percentages of us are persuaded to remain males for life - with or without kidney stones! lol

Gotta go grab a tall one (CJ).

Ken
    What type of piston problem do you have? Also, my 1986 Silverado pickup which was made in Canada has a Rochester Quadrajet, four-barrel carburetor that I had to replace 2 years ago because it could not be rebuilt again. I ended up buying a new Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel carburetor from an online carparts company for $750.00. What type of Rochester Quadrajet carburetor goes in your Corvette? I think mine is a EM4C.

What is your occupation and what is your age? You don't have to answer the last two questions if it's too personal. I just like to learn the backgrounds of the posters on this forum.

Thanks!
    Not quite sure what you're talking about and you don't have to explain. I simply meant that procedure may be painful to men but not so much to women. I actually happened upon this discussion group to get info on Impalas because I'm looking to buy a new car. I basically got the info I needed so I'll leave you men to your discussions.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
    Stacy - just referring to your comment about us guys being of the 'male persuasion' - I should have left it alone.

Hope you got any info you needed for considering an Impala - a terrific automobile. There are a number of women participating here who would, I'm sure, be more than glad to answer anything you may wish to ask about the car.

Best wishes in your car search.

Ken
    Hello all;

Picked up the car, took them only 30mins to replace the instrument cluster, and so far the key less entry FINALLY seems to be working like it was designed to!

Here is the TSB: 00-08-52-004A

If you are having problems with the dealer, put some pressure on them, I had to "[non-permissible content removed]" at them to finally figure out what the problem was!

Ciao

Paul
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    After 1k miles in my LS, strangest thing happened today. While driving, all warning lights on dash came up, radio shut down and clock reset to 12:00. Lasted about 3 seconds. Engine kept going. It's almost as if the electronics rebooted. Shortly thereafter power to radio recycled again, but no warning lights. The day before I had reset my key fobs, and changed some options, ie, for horn to chirp on pressing lock on key fob. These changes still in place.

Anyone else experience this?
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hi Teo,

Thanks for your response to my "low coolant" question. I am going to take my car to the dealer this evening because of the low coolant light coming on and because the hesitation and stuttering is back. I've been using regular unleaded since the last time the car was in the shop (and not fluctuating between regular and premium unleaded). Also, my rear window defroster does not appear to be working (even on high). The window should have defrosted after 15-20 minutes of the car being warmed up/driven. The front windshield also did not defrost quickly. I finally got tired of waiting and used the windshield wipers. (My daughter thinks I should just get a sqeegee and call it a day--I say no, I paid too much for me to need to get out of the car and wipe the windows.) I called Chevrolet today and got a case number. I told them I'd planned to drop my car off at the dealer this evening and have them check the car out and I'd call them when I got my car back. I'll keep you all posted.
    There are several of us female types not intimidated at all on this group. We are happy
    to voice opinions and not just on guys with stones(in their heads?). The Impala is
    turning out to be a great choice for me. I spent 2 1/2 months looking and test driving
    different vehicles from SUV's to midsize sedans. I'm really happy with my choice but
    have to tell you I put up with all kinds of garbage (like when can you bring your
    husband in so he can help you decide- to what colors do you prefer). We'd be happy
    to pass on any advice you ask for.
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    You can't beat drink a lot of water, clean kind of course, like here in Hawaii. Also, if you can find aronia berry juice, Costco used to have it, it is supposedly even better than cranberry juice, and taste a little better. It's my favorite, but i haven't seen it in the store for ages. When and if they get it back, I might load up my spacious Impala trunk with their whole shipment!
    As far as the weird electrical glitch, it may be some electromagnetic force from some E.T.s that thought you car belonged to the FBI agents on the X-Files Show. Or, it may be some newfangled police speed sensor device, or your car stereo screaming out for the amp bypass "surgery", or some surgical "enhancements"(sorry) to be comparable to the other less than competitive specimens, that just happen to be naturally gifted, and endowed with more substantial woofers, tweeters, and plain guts. The rest of the muscle and aestetics are pretty much all there. Sorry for the attempt at male humor, but since someone started it, I felt this was relative to our views, with a little humor to lighten up the disatisfaction with a couple of things that mar an otherwise great, near perfect car that we have. JACOB
    Call Mulder and Scully dude!
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Ghostbusters...
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Someone asked about it, I just got the email response today... job is in Whittman Az. starts at 7.50 hr 1st and 2nd shifts, increase to 8.00 after 60 days, here's the cool part, the cars you'll be driving... Jaguar!

Phone number is Dan Severson 480-894-6161
    hope that helps
    The Quadra-Jet on my Corvette at the moment is a 1978 #17058204 which translates to a 1978 Corvette with base engine (185hp) with AT and A/C. My original for the car which has now been rebuilt is #17059210: 225hp with AT. The latter will go on in a few weeks when the snow goes away. It is 795cfm. The former was a substitute after a "technician?" replaced the in-carb paper gas filter last autumn using RTV silicone on the carb intake nuts. Plugged the bowl float with rubber goop and gas was p$%^%ing onto the intake manifold. Nearly lost the car because of that. No further comment. I went down to the local auto supply store and purchased a Holley re-built Q-Jet for about $200.00 and plunked it on. That is the 1978 version mentioned above. It is 650cfm and impedes performance. My carb is M4MC. GM went to a computer controlled E carb in 1981. Check the site below re carb specs.

On piston rings, winter storage as I do each year can lead to ring sticking or seizure. This will show as oil consumption which is the problem that I have at the moment. It is not a major problem as no blue smoke is evident out the back but it is annoying. The rings can free up by themselves on resumed use or may call for a motor rebuild. I do store with oil in the cylinders but sometimes that is not enough. Inexpensive solutions like Marvel Mystery Oil can do the trick but that is iffy. But worth a try. It may also be an intake manifold gasket leak as my RTV technician used gaskets that are not recoomended for aluminum intakes. I will pull the intake in the spring and install GM-recommended gaskets that I now have at hand. With due respect to those who are in the automotive repair business, I do wish there were more mechanics left who knew how to use a stethoscope rather than a lap-top. I have a hollow piece of bamboo in the basement.... Some members will know what I am getting at.

As to my age and profession, that is not terribly relevant to my contributions to the Forum. I will say that I have had a life-long love of automobiles without making any money in that world.

http://www.carbsunlimited.com/

tpken, I laughed heartily at your male persuasion comment.

stnel, we're happy to have you in the forum (sex shouldn't and doesn't matter, we're all "Impalaphiles" or at least car enthusiasts, not to mention humans), hope you make the right decision for you and end up with a great car.

etcarroll, this is somewhat of a longshot, but my father had a problem with unexplainable electronic glitches (instrument panel failure, etc) and found it to be an intermittent ground problem (his car is an Olds Intrigue which isn't THAT much different from ours). There is a copper ribbon that hangs from the hood (on the Intrigue) with jagged holes in it like a cheese grater, and that touches the frame when the hood is closed. The surface it touched was painted, therefore not allowing a good ground. Not sure but I think there were a couple of other grounds attached to painted surfaces too. They ground off the paint and 30K miles later haven't seen the problem since. Nothing against my good friends the Ghostbusters, but this has gotta have a better chance of solving it than they do...
    Since I'm not the only woman writing in, if I have more questions, I'll go on and post them. I have enjoyed this forum.
  • bearmerbearmer Member Posts: 37
    GM dealers sell stuff called Top Engine Cleaner which I've used to try to get carbon out of engines. It's supposed to free up rings, too. You pour it into the air horn while the engine is running. Not sure how well it works compared to other products, but I'm skeptical about putting any chemical into an engine. I trust that the GM stuff is compatible with soft parts, oil additives, the oxygen sensor, etc. I've also used GMs crancase flush. It seems to get some of the sludge out of a dirty engine, but it's a harsh thing to do. Guess this is a little off topic.
    Please *raise* your hand!
    Thanks for your comments. Being sick and at the hospital is not fun at all. However, those are the few instances of life that make you come to a complete *stop* and take a look at life from a very different perspective. It is a very positive aspect of illness but the truth of the matter is that your health is a very precious treasure that has to be properly taken care for.

I have never had 'Kidney Stones' but I can imagine to be a very painful and uncomfortable experience. After my episode of sickness last week, I fully symphatize with your own troubles.

Hope you get well very soon.
    Toe - Thanks for your concern. I am doing better. I had to have an ultra sound test performed on my left kidney last Monday because the radiologist thought that he had saw the possibility of a mass on my kidney. It turned out that there was no mass there. Thank the Lord.

Plat our - I hope I did not offend you by asking that personal question. It was not my intention.

May all have a great day.
    Glad your ultra sound turned out. That's a scary waiting period that you have to go through. Do they still do the iodine test for kidneys anymore. I was supposed to get that iodine test for my kidneys a few years ago and just refused as I'm allergic to shellfish (which some claim is really the iodine in shellfish). The doctor did the ultra sound instead. I had asked the doctor about cranberry juice at the time and he said it worked somewhat but I believe the cranberry juice is used to kill bacteria. Don't know how that would fall into play with kidney stones.

Hope you stay well!
    No offense taken. Normally Fora such as this have a User's Profile option where members can post what they wish in terms of their backgrounds, interests, cars owned and e-mail addresses for off-line discussions if need be. The Impala Forum does not present those options, unfortunately. If you wish to see an example, go http://www.corvetteforum.com/. And that is the last of my Corvette posts. As bearmer noted, I did get off-topic.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    How is the 2001.
    Craddle problem fixed ?
    Any other problem that I should worry about ?
    I'm almost ready to plunge, but i got burnt with the Malibu 97,and I do not want to repeat the experience.I am driving now a Lumina 99, and I have nothing to complain about, but the lease will end up soon.Anybody here own a Lumina and an Impala ? How they compare,Impala ride better or worse ? noisier or quieter on the road .
    If you can let me know....

Richard
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    you can put all of those sorts of things in the "And here's some more about me" part of your Town Hall profile - lots of our members do just that.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Town Hall is very broad. You have established an Impala area. I was looking for an "Impala Owners" personal profile area. I do no need access to the multitude of members in Edmunds Auto. Many thanks!
    I don't own a Lumina and Impala, but I've driven and ridden in many Luminas and own and Impala. My perception of the Lumina since 1990 has been that it's a nice car (ride, performance, handling, reliability, the whole deal). Therefore it doesn't surprise me that your '99 has been a good one.

I understand the Impala is slated to replace the Lumina (maybe even next year) and, after looking at them closely, they even have a lot of similar contours.

Anyway, if you liked the Lumina, I think you'll like the Impala even better. Ride is a hair stiffer and much more confident in the Impala LS than in the Luminas I've been in, the Impala can be gotten with the 3.8, and a host of other nice adders.

Only thing against getting an Impala is that you're likely to NOT want to get rid of it at the end of the lease. I always wait till something is pretty darn disappointing about a car before I trade it off, and I don't see that happening with my Impala anytime this decade, or probably next decade either.

Yee haw, post #2200. I feel lucky. 'Think I'm gonna blow the diet and have a bowl of ice cream or somethin'.
    That is a miserable situation that I have not followed at length. I hate to be simplistic but the car has to heat up; that is all there is to it. It will over-heat or under-heat. If you get no defrost on the front then that is an engine heat, thermostat problem. The heat on the back window is electrical on the grids, not related to engine heat. That is a red herring. The stumbling problem gets back to the the thermostat: if is wide open and never lets the various engine control systems to get up to speed then you will indeed encounter problems. But as others have said, even a cold engine should run properly with modern computer control systems, at least until warm-up. Again, I surmise you may have a wide-open thermostat. What temp does your gauge show? I cannot believe that if it is in the normal region that you do not have heat. I would have expected that a coolant problem would have sent you off in the other (heat) direction.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I owned a 98 Lumina base model. The only complaint I had about the Lumina is that I couldnt stretch my legs. I have a back problem that requires me to sit high and have my legs extended. I was never comfortable in the Lumina. After 30,600 I said goodbye to the car and traded it in for the 2001 Impala LS. The Impala LS is so comfortable and I sit high. My LS is a work of art. I am so happy to have made the trade. I suggest you go with the Impala LS baveux. My build date is 12/00, and I inspected the craddle, and its welded all around, no problems, no complaints. This is a great car.