Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    Sweetpolly

I am sorry that you are having the hesitation problem. I put up with this for 8 months and had the car to the dealer 5 times for this problem. I finally had enough and started the buy back from GM about 2-3 weeks ago.

Both GM and the BBB have been really great and have been really efficient. GM agreed to repurchase the vehicle and they are returning what I paid for the car, plus the sales tax, setup fees, finance fees and the license fee. I sure cannot argue with this.

I have not received any money yet but hopefully it will arrive in a few days. I sure hope so because, instead of buying a new Impala, (I gave up on this) I have signed a contract for a 2001 California Buick Regal. If for some reason GM fails to live up to their agreement, the Buick dealer has agreed to cancel the contract and return all of my money. They did this in writing. I usually do not do things like this but decided to take everyone at their word. If everything fails I will have two cars. The Buick will set at the dealers lot until GM returns the money, only then will I take delivery.

Ron
  • davidt8davidt8 Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my 2000 1SB package Impala LS on December 1999. Since then I have only good things to say about this car with a build date of 08/99. I have no sounds from any part of the car except the sound of that wonderful,powerful,fuel sipping 3800 series 2 when I step on the gas, otherwise I can't even fell it running. I have looked at the welds on my engine cradle and they appear to be a solid weld all the way around. I have 21,00 miles on this Chevy and I would recommend that anyone buy the Impala. There is only one thing that I wish I had on this car and that is the title free and clear.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I got the AT12 directly from the manufacturer - B&B Electronics, from the website www.AutoTap.com. As seen on the site it cost $389US, free shipping and no sales tax. I will promptly return it for full credit on the $489 AT123 as soon as they come out, as many of my Chrysler owner friends are in need of a decent diagnostic. Why do they buy that stuff?

Anyway, I will get some sample files to you in the next couple of weeks. Keep hounding me. The current ones are a little disjointed because I was just learning how to use the thing. They don't have values that are well related in each file, and some are really short while others are really long. I'll try to group the values better and make some reasonably short trends that'll be easy to email and read.

Meanwhile you can download the software from the website for free (10MB so you'll need a few minutes), and this will allow you to view the data I send easily without need to import it into a spreadsheet and graph manually.

I'm looking forward to having some enthusiasts out there to discuss these types of details with.

-Kevin
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Teo and others -

We in Bonneville Forum are embarking on the owners' club set-up. I've looked at yours here and have a few questions for whomever is acting as spokesman. Would that be you Frank?

Ken
    I'm reading more and more about noises developing. I gotta tell my story.

My '01 Impala LS is nearly perfect but the short buzzing type rattle in the passenger side "B" pillar (the one between the doors) is not getting better. I decided to take it in for a look-see (7000 miles on it so far). Service department is not looking good yet but we'll see if they can fix it.

First time I took it in they took it for a drive but couldn't hear the noise. I found the radio on when I left, though it had been turned off when I checked it in. The dorks couldn't hear the noise because they (probably) had the radio cranked. Sheesh.

Today I brought it in at 7:30am to get it worked on, and they rented me a Chevy Metro. I stopped in at 5pm and they were just getting to the diagnostic test drive - ?? They said they'd likely pull the interior panel and figure it out tomorrow. I guess they were suckin' on lollipops or something all day while the darn thing sat there waiting.

Oh well, the Metro is nice (not).

Anyone else have the B pillar buzz? I don't think I have any of the other noises, but they did find a missing fastener on the driver side of the rear bumper near the rear wheel well, and fixed that.

More as the saga unfolds...
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Hope I am doing this correctly, but I was wondering if anyone can shed light on this topic.

I own a 1995 Sable, and have been buying Fords for 12 years now. Rented an Impala in Disney last year. Had not driven a GM car for 15 years. I was so impressed with the car's ride, handling, comfort, and most of all it's quietness', that I was thinking of buying one. I went to read some of the reviews, and one said that one of the unacceptable problems with the car was the 'noise level' when driving!!! Then I read where there was a comparison of 10 Family' cars, and the Impala finished last in the group, with folks complaining about handling, cheap interior, etc. I know each of us has our own hot-points' and likes, etc., but I don't get it! My questions are: Am I looney, or did I just get a fluke of a rental car that was very quiet? I know I may get hammered for this, but my pet-peeve is the Honda, which finished second behind the Passat. I drive a Honda every five years to see what the fuss is all about, and always come away feeling like I drove a sewing machine (no offense intended, since they obviously last a long time). Finally, the good reviews that the Impala gets (other than the ones mentioned)seem to mirror the Taurus/Sable reviews, making the decision tough to make (unless I listen to the 'Top-Ten' reviews). Anyone have an idea how these cars compare re: noise, performance, reliability? I know the Sable is cheaper by a couple of thou, but are there any other things to watch out for?

Thanks for the help.

Frank
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Glad to hear you like your Impala! I like mine too, Built 11/00 and 15,600 miles none of the unfortunate problems, I remember hearing a slight tick while at a Drive Thru a long time ago, seems to have vanished... Maybe it was not a Tick at all? I wouldn't mention it now but someone could go back and call me on mentioning it a long time ago, But it is gone what ever it was? I like to hear the 3.8 run too! Also has anyone who had the rear Wheel Well liners installed on their 2000 and had the Mud Flaps in place before that,(Did they have to cut the notch in them?) Looks to me like the notch in the flap will push against the Wheel Liner that I see on 2001's once they are in place on a 2000, is that the reason the '00 flaps will not fit a 2001?
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I'm shopping too and the Impala owners will be able to give you good info on Impalas. There's a forum under Maintenance and Repairs on GM Engines - 3.1, 3.4, 3.8L you may want to look up.

I have more of a question for you. Where did you find info on top 10 family cars? Was it on Edmonds or some other site. I'd like to read that. I'm familiar with some web pages that review cars but not all.

bdime - what country are you from now. That looks like an Australian flag but not quite.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    25 days!?!?! That's incredible. And VERY bad for me. I ordered my Navy Blue Impala LS on March 10, but my current lease doesn't run out until May 27. I'm willing to give up a couple of weeks, but not a couple of MONTHS. The dealer said they'll hold it on the lot if it arrives early, but it will drive me NUTS if the car is there and I can't drive it! I wonder if the factory schedules production based on when cars were ordered or when they're needed?
    Brad
  • sim3sim3 Member Posts: 66
    The "Family cars"-comparison review can be found on Edmunds. (The URL seems to

be too long to paste here, so go to www.edmunds.com / Road Tests / Comparison Tests /

2000 Family car comparison test). I fail to see how Impala could've finished the

last(!), especially considering all the other reviews Impala has been getting. Edmunds, btw, also

has another not-so-positive Impala review under Road Tests / New Vehicles / Chevrolet /

2000 Impala) Below are some other reviews I've found on the web on 2000/2001 Impalas -

interesting reading even after buying one. You can see for yourself what the general trend is.

New Car Test Drive

review

Auto.com has 5

reviews

Cars.com also has 5 reviews

The Car Place

Carseverything.com

• lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I had the rear wheel liners installed a couple weeks ago and the mech got my flaps back on without cutting them at all. He had a hell of a time doing it but they went on. Of course he had it on the rack with the wheels off so that made it easier. They still do the same job they did before and still look the same.
    LRCobra
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    On Saturday a drove a new 2001 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged). It was a heck of a ride!. Really smooth car and better handling of what I had originally anticipated. The car is very nice inside and out but some styling clues still spell 'AARP', but nothing overwhelmingly negative about it. It had the Moonsoon stereo that blows anything that the Impala has for radio away. Clear crisp sound, strong deep bass, crystal clear tones.

I did notice some bothersome windshield reflections, however. You should be a happy camper with this vehicle.

Does the 2001 California Regal has the Supercharged 3800 V6?

Among all GM cars that I had the opportunity to drive in the test track, the worst radio performance was the black 2001 Impala LS. The same crappy amplifier. Even the Buick Century had a Kick *ss radio. Really GM cheated Impala owners big time with the radios. Even the Olds Alero had an awesome sound system which seems to be a more updated version of the Impala RDS head unit radio.

The 2001 Chevy Malibu has the same exact radio as the Impala RDS system. However, the Malibu unit doesn't have the useless trunk mounted amplifier, therefore the sound quality is very good (Same quality as the amp bypass)but still not quite as good as the radios I sampled on the Century, Alero and Regal siblings.

I drove so many cars and trucks I can't even remember! I drove a 2001 Corvette Convertible and that was quite a drive...that car is a beast but handles like a champ! The Camaro Z28 is pure brute force. The Camaro lacks road manners, fishtails easily, handling is OK, but overall the Camaro is a very raw compromise when compared to the Mustang GT that I drove and I much prefered (I still, however, dislike Fords).

The Buick Park Avenue drives and handles like a dream. Loved that car! The Cadillac STS handled better than the BMW 525 I drove earlier in the day.

The Lexus IS300 was sweet! But I am sure any 3800 V6 equipped car can easily take on it from standstill. The IS300 is small, expensive and needs more power (Only 215HP @ $32K MSRP)but the car really has a charm to it, the stereo and controls are fantastic and the handling is almost BMW. RWD and nearly perfect weight distributions really helps this little sedan take the twistes with confidence.

Ken: I drove a Boneville SSEi and what a ride! smooth, smooth but the only problem I noticed with the Bonne is that it doesn't handle as crisp compared to the Regal GS as I suspect the extra weight of the Bonneville works against it...still very nice and powerful car.

As far as trucks, I drove the Minivan SUV crossover, the Buick Rendezvous (Very beautifully styled interior and instruments) but my favorites in the SUV arena were the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and the GMC Envoy...that I-6 engine is so smooth and powerful you have to drive it to believe it. The handling is superb for a SUV and a pushed it around the 'Cones' and corners and the thing really took on those corners like any sedan.

The worst handler in my opinion was the Jeep Grand Cherokee...pure hype. That truck really handles poorly. All GM trucks outhandled the Dodge/Ford siblings in my opinion.

Also drove the 2002 Chevy Avalanche pick up with the 6.6L V8 engine...that truck is awesome!.

The Impala LS generated much interested and the lines to test driving it were longer compared to other GM sedans (Which the even accomodators had to beg for people to drive). I took one of my Impala pins and people on the line asked me questions about it. I believe I must have sold 2 or 3 Impalas to potential buyers that day :-)

It was a fun experience and I hope GM does the Auto Show in Motion sometime in the near future again!

Matt: Welcome back and glad you had an enjoyable trip aboard your Impala.
    Teo - How do you get to these events? I bet most of us here would go to great lengths or distance to participate in one of those comparison events.

That Envoy sounds very interesting - perhaps a replacement for our Suburban eventually? hmmm.

That SSEi is something I've got to drive to - now that I feel at home in my SE model I'd sure like to see what the extra payment dollars buy in a Bonneville. I've seen some 2000's on E-Bay in the mid $20K range.

Ken
    I looked up the top 10 comparisons on Edmund's. Thanks for telling me where it was and for additional places to look up reviews. I'm getting ready to look up these other reviews you mentioned right now.
    Thanks for the info I may take off the flaps before I take it in for the Liners, that way I can put the flaps back on. Don
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    #2359 of 2366 davidt8....etc.. by 00impala Apr 02, 2001 (09:09 pm) Glad to hear you like your Impala! I like mine too, Built 11/00 and 15,600 miles none...

I am confused - I have noticed before that you say your 2000 Impala was built in 11/00 - do you mean 11/99. I have a 2001 and it was built 09/00. OR do you have a 2001. Thanks
    The best Value of all is the Impala. The 3.8 engine is better because it's fuel economy is almost as good as the 3.4 because of the weight of the car. The Impala is built tough - it has high rankings for frontal and side collisions. There is more interior room in this car than the Taurus or the Intrepid and that includes the trunk. The LS fully loaded is everything you would want - it's like a luxury car without the huge payments. NOW there have been some issues with the 2000 Impalas and perhaps the 2001's with the engine cradle but there is a fix and there has been some problems with an intermediate steering shaft - but that too is fixable IF you have any problems. There are no problems whatsoever with the 3.8L engine. Looking at some of the other sites you will notice more serious problems with other makes and models. Why else would American and Canadian police forces choose to buy IMPALAS - they certainly don't want to buy a Taurus. Get the Impala LS - on the highway it certainly is the most noticeable new car.
    ENJOY!
    Yes sir! Noticed the buzz the other day on my 2001 LS. It seems to come from the pillar next to the driver. Also, I have a clanging noise from the rear fender on the driver's side. It could be the same problem as yours - WHEN WAS YOURS BUILT? Mine was 09/00.
    I had the same Buzz but on the B-pillar on the driver's side. If you look closely, the plastic trim headliner 'joints' are not fully glued at the factory or the glue starts to give up with time. What causes the Buzz sound is the vibration of the loose plastic trim piece that is supossed to get joint with the next one at it is loose. The only way I remedied this annoyance was to buy some 3M glue for interior plastic trim. I rejoined the two trim pieces (Right above the door's opening) with the glue and presto.

These are some of the little details that really hurt GM's build quality reputation in the market place.
    You've made the case eloquently and persuasively - too bad some of the die hard (and flame mouthed) import guys won't listen to this kind of logic. I recently made the mistake of mentioning in a less cogent and open minded forum that the Impala compares favorably against the likes of Maxima and Avalon and was promptly flamed and ridiculed for suggesting such heresy. Some people just can't seem to give this car a fair shake - can't get past the GM label.

BTW - still on the prowl for any medium bronzemist Impalas - drove through the local dealer's lot yesterday - still none in sight. They did have a gorgeous Navy Blue with neutral leather though - fully loaded - got my pulse racing a bit!

Enjoy the day, Impalaphiles

Ken
    That was a Typo on my part. it was built 11/99....1999 seems so long ago....Thanks Don
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    Fully realizing that I might subject myself to a rash of outraged responses from the 3.8L crowd, I would like to point out that in your response to frankb7's posting #2358 your statement "there are no problems whatsoever with the 3.8L engine" seems to overlook the very early problems with engine shutdown at both driving speeds and at idle, and the later problems with hesitation and stumbling (at least one of which has resulted in a vehicle buy-back by GM). These were ALL related solely to the 3.8L powerplant.

I'm not trashing the 3800 engine, but none of us would want to see frankb7 misled through an unintentional oversight. He deserves ALL the facts to aid in his deliberation of a purchase as large as a new car....
    That the engine hesitation/shutdown problems are more of an isolated nature. My '00 LS with built date 1/00, has never ever giving me the slightest problem in that respect. Sweetpollys Impala was built a week before mine, yet her car has had this chronic issue. Only a couple of posters have had engine troubles in their cars. The shutdowns seem to be isolated to early production cars, but what puzzles me is why then my car hasn't given up the 'ghost'?

Aside from possible PCM firmware code related problems in the engine management system, no one really knows the causes behind these mysterious engine problems. However, I haven't read about these complaints on 2001 model year car and late production 2000 year Impalas.

Fuel starvation? Fuel quality? Defective sensors? Defective mechanical engine parts? No one seems to have a clear answer to this dilemma.

If the 3800 V6 was a defective engine, not only the Impala but all other corporate siblings that use this engine would be reporting these same symptoms. In my opinion the problem lies somewhere in the fuel feedback system, the fuel injection assembly, sensors or the electronic engine management system. I would be suspect of any of these parts before the actual engine.

Any comments from our seasoned Impala owners with some mechanical expertise background?
    One thing that really has caught my attention is the fact that GM is buying back 2000 Impalas from customers that complain the loudest with virtually little resistance or without putting up a big fight....strange eh?

What do you guys think?
    Stacy,

The '10 Best' I referred to is on Edmunds.com, I think under reviews, and Family Sedans.

From the USA - Easton, PA.

Thanks for responding to the post :)
    I understand what you are saying, but the hesitation is not with the ENGINE. The problem is with items that are attached to the engine. I think Teo said the same thing. Your comment is like saying that somebody with bad hair has a problem with his body. Bad hair can be fixed without going into the body. Anyway, it's great that we are all thinking and trying to help each other.
    I found the top 10 in Edmunds. The Impala didn't do well at all. Consumer Reports gives the Impala high marks for an American car. American cars never can quite cut the mustard in Consumer Reports. Don't know if it's a bias against American cars or real since I've always driven American. I would be interested in a couple of years, when the Impala has been out a little longer, if it will get the red check mark for reliability.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    If you check my profile you would think I'm from the Falkland Islands(that's the
    flag) but as I said in and earlier post I wa just playing with the flags. I also
    let folks know I'm in the Chicago area- even a person in High School can figure out
    where that is;) just harrassing you.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    I can't help but wonder what kind of folks Edmunds uses to do there test
    drives and evaluations. While I looked at the Grand Prix I checked for the test
    drive report and that one was 3-4 years old, not every car gets tested every year
    as well as The individual biases are not factored in. It's like most things in life
    everyone has an opinion and it's usually worth what you paid for it.
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    I feel like an outcast with all the hoopla about the 3.8L. Actually, I am quite pleased so far with the base engine. I did not buy the Impala as a "performance" vehicle, just a reliable and comfortable (those of you with lower back pains may understand, I have the buckets) car to get to work and take an occasional jaunt to a nearby city. The 3.4L does things very well and is starting to loosen up. It was very hard on gas in the depths of winter and during break-in. Things are improving now. I have punched the throttle on a few occasions and it seems to move out very nicely with good low-end torque. Some members have said it is underpowered. My last car was a Saturn 1.9L SL-2 so perhaps my subjective comparison is not a good measure. Does anyone else have impressions of the 3.4L? Love to hear from you.
    I'd read your post a couple of days ago about changing the flags around. I couldn't figure out the country of the current flag. I figured it must have been a British colony but couldn't figure out which one. I believe the rebates on Impalas expired on April 2. I hope they offer another one by mid-May. It would be nice if they made in $2000 this time.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    The 3.8 engine in any of the GM products is a great performer and has been a great engine for many years. I would never blame the engine on my hesitation problem. The engine is not at fault. The problem is caused by a component. GM just does not know what it is and may never know. You would think that they would take a car with hesitation and start replacing one part at a time until they discover the cause. Once discovered, it would prevent buy backs and probably save them some money.

Teo

I purchased the Regal without the supercharged 3.8 engine. I see no reason for needing the increased power.

The California Regal LS is different than the regular Regal only because it comes equipped with several upgrades as follows.

16-inch chrome wheels and touring tires
    Gran touring suspension
    Duel automatic comfort/temp. Climate control
    Leather seats with drivers side seat-mounted airbag.
    Upgrade radio with AM/FM cassette and CD player
    Monsoon 8 speaker 220-watt system
    Drivers side exterior and interiors automatic dimming mirrors
    Illuminated visor mirrors
    Rear reading and courtesy lights
    Front and rear carpet savers
    Trunk convenience net

Ron
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    platour, another option you have is to use the "Online Support" link on the left sidebar - you might want to wait another day or two first, though. They may just not have had a chance to get back to the discussion.

If you look back through it paying attention to the dates on the posts, you'll have an idea of whether they keep up with that conversation on a regular basis.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I'll be buying a 3.4 L myself. I've got another 5 weeks to go! I'm driving a 4-cyl, 2.5 L right now so it will have enough power for me.
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    yes, 25 days is pretty quick. I think there is a big slowdown in factory orders and folks will get their cars a lot sooner than in the past. At least till the market picks up. When I worked for GM we could check what they called the 'green sheet' and tell where we were in the build cycle. The green sheet came out every week. You could follow your car from order to build and know every week just where you car was in the build cycle. The dealers also had access to the green sheet. I dont know if it still works that way now or not.

I didnt get the 'wing' on my Impala. A short drive around town completely covers the back end, with dust, around where the trunk closes. You can write your name in the dust and dirt. This is on a sunshiny day. I think installation of the wing will stop that. The Chevy dealer said they would install a factory wing painted to match for 300.00

nick
    lrcobra, I installed factory molded splashguards on my '01 Impala. Fronts fit like a glove. Rears fit but were difficult to push into place, just like everyone else's. They do fit and look fine but I remain concerned about them pulling against the screws. The plastic will flow over time and the tension will decrease. The 'cut-out' trick shown several hundred posts ago is a good and a clever fix. I wish I'd have thought of it, but I won't take mine off and risk stripping the plastic threads where the screws are.

While in the service dept at my dealer (had my car in for the B pillar buzz) I asked the parts folks if there were different part numbers for '00 and '01 Impala splash guards. Their reply: "Is that the 2-door or the 4-door". I walked away. I've seen Monte Carlos but I hadn't seen a 2-door Impala. I know where not to get parts.

Yesterday they had my car all day to work on the buzz. In the afternoon I went to pick it up and they were just taking their diagnostic test drive. I noted the communication problems there and all the dissatisfied customers and more customers I recognized from the week before (obviously "repeat" customers) and chickened out. I picked up my car this morning with nothing done but nothing harmed. Whew.

Previous posts confirming my problem with likely solutions are very promising. tomaso7 and teo, thanks so much for posting your experiences!!!!

On other subjects, my 3.8 has been flawless, performance has been great, the radio is pretty decent but not great (I might try the amp bypass for curiosity's sake) and overall I'd buy 25 Impalas before a tortoise.

I sure enjoy this forum.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm still 200 posts or so behind after being out of circulation for a week or so, but I had a couple of things I couldn't wait to pass along.

1) On the return trip from Pensacola, FL to Little Rock, AR, I filled up the Impala in Bovina, MS. By the time we made it to Pine Bluff, AR, the trip computer was reporting 33.8 mpg! I stopped and filled up at this point, and it had used 5.804 gallons to travel 190.8 miles, so I actually got 32.9 mpg (at an average speed of 55.4 mph). Weather was in the 50's, so we didn't run the AC, just the vent. Pretty good for a full size car with the 3.8 liter engine, loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a weeks worth of luggage and such (the trunk was 90% full). This is the best mileage average I've attained so far in it's 17,800 miles.

2) I came close to actually getting to meet Matt McDill on the way down to Florida. I stopped by the station in Mobile, AL where he works on Sunday, but unfortunately Matt was nowhere to be found. But I can attest to the fact that this is a very well maintained, clean station; probably one of the nicest I've seen in ages.

Okay, I'll go back and read about the kidney stone saga, but wanted to share this info before it got too stale.
    Platour,

Been driving large cars for 30 years, and I rented an Impala last year on vacation. One of the things I was impressed with was the guts the car had. It definitely 'got out of its own way', and I remember telling my wife I was interested in what size the engine was. To be honest, I do not know, but I am guessing is was the base 3.4. I know the car was not an LS, and can't believe the rental companies would upgrade the engine in the base. I currently have a 95 Sable 3.8, and am happy with its performance. Have driven a 3.0 Ford two years ago and can tell the difference. The Impala I rented was probably faster than my current Sable, so I think the 3.4, in terms of guts, is fine. I too am looking for a family car, that I can use to commute (40 miles each way) to work. Other than the Impala, I do not know of another car that I am comfortable in, or that I fit in.

Frank
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I had a 2000 Impala, base with 3.4 for 35,000 miles, and traded it for a 2001 LS, which now has 7500 miles. Both have been very reliable cars. The 3.4 got slightly better gas mileage, about 1 – 2 mpg better. The most noticeable difference between the two is during interstate driving with the cruise control on. With the cruise set at about 78 mph, (no comments about speed limits, etc. this is just to give my opinions about the two engines), the 3.4 engine has to jump out of overdrive and into the lower gear much more often to go up hills and maintain the same speed. I have not noticed that same situation with the 3.8 engine. When the 3.8 does kick down to the lower gear, it is for a pretty steep grade. I have also noticed that with more miles on the 3.8 now, and the weather warming up, the mileage is improving on it now too. I think both are good engines, and it is a matter of personal opinion to each individual. I do think the 3.8 the better choice having lived with both of them, especially if you do much highway driving. City driving would not make much difference.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Thanks for the kind words, I feel like a pile of ***t because i was'nt there , i mean I am really sorry I could'nt meet you , as you know I was sick, but thanks for the kind words about the station , the building has been there since the early 60's , the conoco has been there since 1990 , we used to be In the BP down the street , when It was a Gulf station , Mr.Dority opened it up in 1958 , and was one of the very first U-Haul dealers , we now do Ryders . thanks-------------mattmcdill
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I know where you're coming from on that "no power to MUCH power" change. I drove a base model Dodge Stratus at the time I test drove a 3.4 lt Impala. I had gone to the dealer to drive a Malibu, v6 (but I don't know the size). Drove that first. The dealer backs up to a very large coporate park and it was a Sunday, so there was NO traffic in there and I kind of wound around the streets, starting and stopping, taking some corners fast just to see what the Malibu would do. At a big twist in the road before returning to the dealer the Malibu SQUEEELED around the corner I was taking at about 45 mph. The salesman gave me a "look", but heck, I was testing the car, how else am I supposed to know what it will do?

Then he pointed out the Impala (3.4 lt, base model) which cost about exactly the same as the Malibu I just tested (and didn't like, just fyi..). I got in and drove the exact same route, pulling the same starts and stops, and hitting that big twist at 45 again. The 3.4 pulled through it like it was melted butter, no squeeles, no hesitation, nothing. Beauty. I didn't buy that car that day (the dealer was terrible!!) but it convinced me that I needed that size engine and that really smooth transmission for my next car. I ended up with the 3.8 lt. But I bet I would have been just as happy with the 3.4. Coming from that lousy Dodge, it was heaven.
  • alcameronalcameron Member Posts: 3
    TEO I agree with you it seems as though theree a few persons getting buy backs, and very simply..I would like to know how many have already gotten there buyback, it seems as though they chat about it but never seem to get through the process. Also is a buy back cheaper than taking thje car to a dealer and trading for a new one? I wonder as I have not read of any actual numbers oc the cost of a buy back..Does some one have the numbers , including all costs? Or is it a privacy thing.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I was reading your town hall user profile and I noticed that you own a '67 Dodge Polara. I think my grandfather owned one of these one time. He bought it new and it was white in color. I think it had a 426 hemi engine. What size engine does your's have and what color is the exterior? My uncle has told me a few stories about this powerful car. Some of the stories are quite amazing. Thanks and may all have a great day!
    Thanks to all who replied. I do not do much highway driving but the comment on climbing hills is a good one. I suspect one would find a difference with four adults on board and a passing situation on level highway or hills. But that is not a situation I encounter very often. I believe the mileage difference between the two cars is +/- 2mpg so that is not a factor for me. I put on about 100 miles per week. Cookie, it is interesting to liven up a saleperson's life from time-to-time! They do live a sedentary life for the most part. I believe the Malibu has a 3.1L V6. That appears to be the 3.4L with a smaller bore but the tech experts can correct me on that.

To Pat: Yes, I have heard from 1SourceAutoWarranty re overheating/thermostat and in my opinion there position is reasonable. If the thermostat (or waterpump for that matter) fails and the engine overheats, the warranty will cover components such as blown head gaskets and refurbishing of warped cylinder heads. That is important on the 3.4L as the heads are alumuinum and can be damaged very quickly. They do not cover engine failure such as blown pistons. I can understand that as it would take some time driving an overheated car to get to that point. And that is owner abuse. Again in my opinion. So I was reassured by their response.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Regarding the Impala owner who has the engine hesitation...... Was there ever an attempt to clean the "Throttle Body" ??? I have a very strong feeling that the hesitation your car is going thru is due to an air filter fiber on the element of the Trottle Body. This same problem happened to my wife's Buick. Mr. Good Wrench checked everything on the car, and finally did a throttle body cleaning..... the hesitation was gone after he sprayed the trottle body. All it takes is a little dirt or fiber from the air filter onto the element and that will make the engine hesitate big time. Give it a cleaning. Let me know if my hunch was correct. Goodluck
    I'm glad you got some discussion going on 3.4L because I didn't know about the aluminum gaskets on 3.4. I asked my dad (the more knowledgeable one on cars) and he said to try and avoid aluminum. I assume the 3.8 have steel. I looked up on CarsDirect just to get a ball park figure on getting the 3.8L and it's about $1,000. I may wind up spending the extra. And I thought all my questions were answered on the Impalas! I'll keep reading the posts for more insights.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I read somewhere that the Impala has a fuel tank capacity of 17 gallons. Normally, I pump gas when my tank is at the absolute empty (I know I shouldn't do that). However, I'm only able to top off at 15 gallons max. Is the 2 gallon difference because of the reserve tank?

My LS has approximately 2K miles on it. It is already broken in. On a full gas tank, I'm only able to get 300 miles (highway and city driving) by the time the warning light comes on. Thus, at 15 gallons divided by 300 miles, I average only 20 mpg? My LS does not come with the fancy fuel calculations meter.

Has anyone tested how many miles they get from absolute full gas tank to the absolute empty tank? This is assuming 50% city driving and 50% highway driving.

thanks
    Yes, the 3.4L has aluminum cylinder heads and the 3.8L has Fe/ iron. Now, I do not know why GM chose these combinations and the relative reliability of one vrs the other. In other words, why not Fe heads on the 3.4L? Certainly, in my experience, iron-on-iron gives the least aggravation. But again, I need to hear from the tech people. Why is GM using Al heads on the 3.4L?
    My father has done all my car repairs since I was a teen (except transmission work). While not being a mechanic, he still knows a few things about cars. He says aluminum corrodes more easily allowing water to get into cylinders and causing engine damage. I may not be quoting him exactly but am somewhat close.

It certainly doesn't make since to use aluminum on one and iron on another. Although I think the price difference with the base and LS is around $3-4000.
    I got my '01 LS in November. Here in Michigan it's been colder'n'heck ever since, so I haven't seen the stellar mileage the others are talking about. I just filled my tank from "warning light empty" after almost exactly 50% highway and 50% city driving, and I got about 25 MPG. I've had tanks that were 100% city and I got about 22MPG. I've gotten as high as 29 when completely on the road. I'm hoping for a few higher in the summer, as all my cars do better when it's warm.

Sounds like yours is running a little low. Might indicate a tuning problem of some sort, as I never got 20 on a tank. This can be a function of how you drive too, though. I take it pretty easy on mine most of the time.

Break-in is a relative term too. I know they suggest not flooring it for the first 500 miles. However I don't consider a car truly "broken in" until 100,000 miles. Not many people think like I do though...

To the folks who are getting "stellar" mileage: how much has the mileage improved now that you have 15-20K miles compared to when you had less than 5K?