Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    you cant be running those big powerful stereos in you Impala. You'll drown out all that road noise and create an unsafe condition by isolating your self from the outside.

Just Kidding, of course :*)

Nick
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Nick, I think I've already done that by having the amp replaced. Some cd's I play have quite a bit of bass and the car just vibrates (I'm no Angel by Dido comes to mind)I believe I have the bass set at two ticks to the left of center! I suppose I could blame GM if I get in an accident because the bass is too strong, but it's not my style. I'd accept responsibility for my unattentiveness...
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    I was lucky and got the good amp with my 01. This is one of the best radio's I think I've had. Great bass responce.
    Teo said in one of his posts that he didnt mind the road noise because he didnt want to be isolated from the outside. I was just poking a little fun at him.

Nick
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I have my bass turned two ticks left of center also. I am also running the treble flat. Sometimes if i am listening to the radio i will turn the bass up a notch.

Thinking Delco has exxagerated some of the frequencies a little. What do you think?
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    have trouble hearing their am stations? I have to turn the volume way up to hear them, and I have them set to "news" on the controls. It's how it used to be before the new amp, but only on am stations.
  • gusman2gusman2 Member Posts: 9
  • gusman2gusman2 Member Posts: 9
    (Sorry for bogus post before this... Slipped and hit the enter key...)

Does anyone have the TSB# for the new amp? I listened to my friends 01 LS and there is a nice difference. I am having my cradle replaced sometime soon and would for them to a lot of work at once.

Im also thinking of having them take care of the new wheelhouse liners to get rid of all the debris in the wheelwell.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Have a great day
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    gusman2, there is no TSB for the new AMP. Just do what I did, same as others here have. (See post 4251). I went back about 100 to 150 posts back (around #4100), and then read through for all the ones regarding others getting their AMP's replaced. I then cut/pasted into a single word document, those posts related. Take it to the dealer and talk to them. Even suggest they compare yours to a new one... Good Luck. I will know tomorrow if my dealer is going to replace it. Anyway, no TSB on this one.....YET!
  • stockalis2stockalis2 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new (2001) Silver Impala LS with 1400 miles on it,,my problem is with the vinyl molding above each door (where the door and the roof meet)..the molding is beginning to stick up at both ends on each side of the car..Has anyone else had problems with this molding?..if so do you have a remedy for it..Thanks..John
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I was about to post about the same exact concern you are having with the plastic trim end molding (That meets with the headliner) above each door.

Yesterday I noticed that the trim molding piece above the left rear passenger door was sagging bigtime. Upon inspection of the molding, I realized that the molding trim piece itself is intended to fit by pressure as I did not see any evidence of factory glue anywhere in the trim piece. I pulled the piece very carefully downwards and I see that it fits on a sort of 'rail' cutout in the headliner. I played with the molding to try to put it back in place and I discover that the way it snaps in place is by holding the molding upward with a inward sideway movement towards the interior of the car. The door black rubber weatherstripping helps to hold it in place so you have to be patient and push the molding up and sideways until you see that the weatherstripping 'Lip' or edge helps to hold the piece in place.

All the other plastic moldings were fine except the one above of the left rear door.

Needless to say this is a very CHEAP trim fitting approach. Most cars have an actual inner rubber strip that goes around the door openings and prevents these moldings from sagging or moving out of place.

A more permanent solution to this problem is to GLUE the trim plastic molding piece firmly against the inner headliner. I don't understand why that trim molding is not glued properly from factory.

3M makes excellent glue for interior plastic trim. Last year I posted the glue tube (Which I still have as I had the same problem in my 2000 LS) but I will do so again once I come back home tonight.

Make sure that whatever glue you use for this purpose is made for automotive interior plastic trim/headliner repairs and it is also waterproof and heat resistant.

DO NOT USE SUPERGLUES OF ANY KIND!!!!!..THESE DON'T WORK AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR PLASTIC TRIM/HEADLINER IRREVERSIBLY!!!

Once the glue is properly applied and the piece is fitted back for a flush fit look, you should not have any further problems with it sagging again.

I am not overly picky in interior fit and finish matters but in the Impala the trim plastic molding above the doors and the glove box are the chintziest interior bits. GM you can do better.

Night_owl::: Perhaps you can create in your 'How to do' forum a section dedicated to the proper repair of sagging plastic trim piece molding above the doors. Some pictures will be extremely helpful. Also any recommendations in automotive plastic trim glues would be highly appreciated.

Enjoyed your webpage and it looks terrific!

Good luck to all!
    Te..the molding that is loose is NOT on the inside of the car,,it is on both sides of the roof edging on the outside..sorry if I gave you the wrong info..
    I gotcha ya! Some other owners have reported the same problem with the roof trim.

I haven't had a problem in this regard with my 4/01 Built 2001 Impala LS.
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    I hear you bbrowne74, however fact is fact. Carnuba is not good for your car. So if anyone is using it then he or she is harming the car. No one that I know of has ever switched from Zaino to another product but you'll hear very often of people switching from other products to Zaino. Below is why Carnuba is not good for your car:

Carnauba is a, dark yellow, brittle wax. It has no durability. It also has no high shine. In reality it's actually a dull wax. It is not optically perfect and leaves a film (haze) on the paint finish. If you took two identical colored cars and placed them side by side. The one without carnuba would be the true colour. The other car with carnuba would have a slightly different tint to it.

What you are seeing with Carnauba is a combination of carnauba wax, polyethylene wax, paraffin wax and the key gloss ingredient SILICONE OIL. Silicone oil is inexpensive, greasy, smear, not durable, but shines like crazy. Just try Pledge furniture polish on your car. Voila same shine. Hmm. Pledge is loaded with silicone oil, so is Armor All tire dressing. Did you ever notice how greasy, smeary and dusty, furniture looks with Pledge on it. How soon does your car get dusty after you polish/wax with your favorite product?????:( When does the gloss start
    to drop???

Silicone oil is not body shop safe and is a painters worst nightmare. Silicone oil always remains a liquid in a mobile state that can permeate and penetrate paint or metal or fibreglass over a period of time. This can cause the term "fisheye" and make repainting virtually impossible. Any vehicle made of a composite material such as Corvettes, Vipers, and Saturns will suffer silicone damage because the sun will burn into the materials resulting in a non-repaintable finish.

Now here's the best part. Silicone oil and other oils are an essential ingredient of Carnauba based products. It's the only way to achieve a shine. That's why it's used in all Carnauba based polish/wax. However, it has no durability, does not last and it attracts dust and dirt like a magnet and once dust settles on it, it sticks to it. Dust on paint causes tiny Swirls and Scratches. Also Carnauba is very brittle. It will not stay on the paint surface for any length of time. Most of the time less than 3 weeks....... The sun also effects Carnauba based products. The sunnier and hotter it gets, the faster it deteriorates. Remember wax melts and oils tend to migrate to the surface and evaporate... Sad but true.

Fact: On a sunny 80 degree day, the surface temperature of black paint will reach 149 degrees and go up to 198 degrees if the ambient temp reaches 90. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens to the wax.

When designing and formulating a polish. These are just a few of the factors that you want to avoid.
    Anyone that has roof trim on their 2001 Imapla, Please let me know & what remedy did you take..the dealer is ordering new ones but he said there is no guarantee that they will work better..I am thinking of using some type of adhesive to keep the molding down..Also the repairshop at the dealership said the molding is held in place with 2 sided tape..anyone have knowledge of this..Thanks ..John
    I think he had some roof trim problems as well...
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I was noticing that same problem this past weekend. It's the soft plastic trim that runs from the front of the car to the back, right? The front end is under the front windshield weather-strip and the rear is under the rear windshield weather-strip. I was looking at it closely and I think it is held on with double stick foam tape. I am assuming that the heat is causing the tape to release from the car, or is tearing the foam in half.

I believe that replacing the trim will not solve the problem for the long term, especially if it's the same tape. I am thinking of cleaning up the ends and using 3M emblem adhesive or weather-strip adhesive to stick it down.

Stockalis2, what color car do you have? I have a black one and I am wondering if that is one of the reasons that the trim is coming up. Added heat absorption vice lighter cars.

Anyone have a better suggestion?
    I didn't notice that any of my interior trim was sagging. If it's plastic-to-plastic, I think I would recommend using 100% silicone calking or adhesive vice a glue to keep the trim in place. The calking is available in clear and can be pulled apart if you need to remove the trim, to replace the headliner, for instance.

Ok, now you got me worried and I gotta look at my car. =)
    Please let me know if you observe the interior trim sagging at the describe points.
  • blackss01blackss01 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me what wires to jump to bypass the trunk amp? i have a '01 ss and i've heard it sounds a lot better to bypass the trunk amp and run everything off the one in the dash... thanks.
    Saw the pics of the dude that decided to install a TV set in between the seats of his Impala for his small kid....

Doesn't that TV set become a potential projectile in case of a sudden stop or a crash?

Noble cause but kinda dangerous IMO.
    My dealer has the new roof mouldings and they are waiting for me to bring my car over so they can match the paint.
    They have promised me that they will paint the mouldings off the car.
    I am not sure that i want the hassle and may not even have it repaired.
    I have been using mother's waxes on my camaro since it was repainted in 1993. I have found their carnuba product to be superior to many of the other waxes i used before then, such as rain dance.
    I have also found it to be long lasting. It is often still beading after 4 months.
    While i don't doubt the success many people have had with zaino, i do feel that carnuba is not harmful to a car. It has been used for decades and still sells well today in the face of so many miracle waxes.
    I am also getting excellent gloss from mother's. While my car doesn't look as good as it did 8 years ago it still has the "wetlook" and has no oxidation.
    I am hoping to try zaino soon, but in the interim i will continue to use mother's products.
    As a footnote i used meguiars cleaner/wax on the impala and am not impressed.
    One more thing. Don't use liquid dishwahing soap on your car. It is designed to take grease off of dishes. It will take the wax off your car after just a few washings. Use a liquid soap designed specifically for cars.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I used Dawn when I first got my LS. I wanted to make sure that there were no waxes or other oils on the finish before applying the Zaino.

I wouldn't recommend using dishwashing soap regularly. But it is good for taking off layers of wax. Just take it easy.

Thanks,
    RR
    Tomaso7 - Not all carnuba waxes have silicone. I agree that most do and that's how they get a carnuba wax that is easy to apply, easy to remove, and has a great shine. I have a wax that is carnuba-based but with no silicone. I asked for a MSDS to verify. I've used it since I received my car and have not had any problems with it.

When you say that carnuba is not good for your car, are you referring to the silicone in the wax or the carnuba itself? I was a little unclear on that point.

bbrown74 - You are right in pointing out that every "study" supporting one position can be countered with another one. The NSX evaluation was pretty good, but could use improvement. Only one trial and one of the tests was subjective (how the surface "felt"). However, just because the source was from a NSX fan doesn't mean the information cannot be used by Impala owners.

Tomaso may be a Zaino dealer, but it doesn't mean his opinion is invalid. On the contrary, if he thought the product was so good that he wanted to be a dealer, I might give his testimony more credit. Then again, maybe not. Like any other information on the net, testimonials and studies it shouldn't be taken at face value.

I still have a quarter bottle of wax that I'll use up before moving on to something else. Based on the recommendations of others here and articles like the NSX one, I'll probably try Zaino next. I was not convinced solely by Tomaso's recommendation or the NSX study. However due to number of people extolling it's virtues, I am willing to give it a shot. If I say it's the best thing in the world, should you immediately go out and buy it? Of course not. It's everyone's responsibility to do the research and make a decision for themselves.

bbrown74, if that was your point in the beginning, can everyone just delete this message. I just felt a need to ramble on.
    Actually, I was thinking the very same thing. A TV/VCR unit is pretty heavy and it looks like it's just resting there. Maybe it's attached to the console or something. I just thought it was a neat project.
    Nothing like a "zaino" post to liven things up around here.
    I was actually thinking of using a clay bar before doing the whole Zaino thing. A follow up with Dawn wouldn't be a bad idea.
    They have to color match your car? Does your existing ones look painted? The trim on my car is pretty soft so I wouldn't think any paint would survive for long.
    I am assuming you have a MC vice an Impala. If not, WHEREDIDYOUGETASSIMPALA?!?!

If you want to attempt the bypass, I did a How-To article on it based on the information from people on this board. Go to:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

and visit the How-To section. You may want to consider pursuing a replacement amp (if you have the 104 unit) from your dealer as a warranty job. I have a 104 amp and am satisfied the way it sounds. If I change out the amp, it will be to install an aftermarket one.

I assumed that the color was in the mouldings, but i guess it would be too hard for GM to stock the many different colors.

Makes me nervous. Having themmess around with my car.
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    The left stip on ym Navy blue 01 LS is also pulling itself up. I pointed this out when I was getting my amp replaced(BTW thanks guys for all the info). They ordered me a new strip and I'm just waiting for the call to have them put it in. In the meantime I just pulled it above the windshield strip so it's not pulling on it anymore.
  • blueheartblueheart Member Posts: 24
    Regarding the replacement of the intermediate steering shaft, is it necesery to remove the dash or is the work done under the hood?
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Teo, I am the dude that installed the TV in the Impala. I too thought about the issue of the TV becoming a projectile. But actually I was more concerned about it being a nuisance for other reasons (distraction, working loose (walking) as we drive along, etc). Fortunately, the TV fits between the front seats like a wedge and sits quite solidly there. I can provide design details of the stand to anyone who likes it. It works great and is easy to build.

Anyway, there are many things in cars that can be deadly projectiles, and when folks are on vacation, they often have books, toys, drink bottles or a cooler, etc in the car with them. One cop said at a speech that he had only un-buckled one dead person (meaning all the other persons wearing their seat belts were alive) and that the dead person had been carrying a box of kleenex on the rear package shelf. That box, during a front-end collision, flew forward and broke his neck.
    In a front-end collision, the radio/Onstar interface unit is probably at the most risk of being smashed by the TV.

Thus, the TV as a projectile is a calculated risk as is most anything in life. I won't say it doesn't present a potential hazard. I will say that TVs in cars are becoming very popular and that it doesn't IMO present undue risk, particularly considering the great benefit it provides.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Your website is hands-down the best personal site on any subject that I've seen. And it continues to get better. Excellent job.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Just a question for those having problems with the roof trim peeling from the rear window area; do you generally park outside, or is your car garaged. My '00 is Galaxy Silver, and 90% of the time the car is either in my garage, or in the parking garage at work. So far I haven't noticed any release of the trim, but I don't know if that's due to the color, or the fact that the car is garaged most of the time. Just trying to reduce some variables.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I noticed the moulding raising up on the right side in the back right after I got my car back in 1999, It doesn't really bother me and it doesn't not stick up that far, it is right before it meets the Black rear window moulding, I figure if I let a Dealer fix it, I will then have them curling up like those old Tuxedo Bibs with too much starch in the old comedy movies and never wanting to stay in place, I just keep an eye on it. The side moulding on my left front fender also looked a bit loose back then,(the little one in front of the door on the fender) I just pushed it the rest of the way into place and it has adhered perfectly. Also I garage and if it has to sit outside I use my Car Cover ALWAYS., Does wonders for the life of the rubber mouldings and paint. Don
    Nightowl..My Impala LS is silver..the dealership ordered neew molding, but I went ahead and fixed the problem with double sided tape..I cut a small piece and slid it under the molding and it is as good as new,,but I am going to let the dealer repair it with new molding..I had the car about 1 month before this happened..keep in touch ..John
    I agree with you ..I keep my Impala in the garage but I am afraid to let the dealer fix the problem,,it might end up worse than it is..by the way , Mine is Galaxy Silver also
  • sean411sean411 Member Posts: 7
    I have spent a few $$ on car care products. From everything that I have read, its best to stay away from the pure polly coats, at least in Pa...where we experience the full 4 seasons. The paint will flex and the full polly will not, causing probs < so I have read and been told>...I have used on diff sections of my 00LS..Drk Carmine Red...Meguiar's 3 step . I need the protection of synthetic with carnuba..car nvr garaged...parked next to Philly airport all day. All the above are very good....with the 3M perfect paste wax...giving me the best results. However, nothing can match Zymol...for a really deep shine, but, since I don't have a show car, I am not going to go bankrupt using their products.
    GM Corp minds...pricing yes...out of sight...also....I think my paint job sucks...orange peel and its soft as hell have looked at a lot on new GM vehicles...their paint..looks crappy also..as compared to Chrysler...and even blah..*Fords*....Lookout in 2003...Dodge IntrepidR/T...V8 etc...I may jump over...if Chevy doesn't do anything......
    Comments anyone ???
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    Hello everyone! I just took my car to get the bulletin work done on it. I gave himn the TSB no. to work with and he said he could do a "good will" warranty replacement of the instrument cluster. Hope he can. I told him about the amp but he said without a TSB he cant do anything. Oh well worth a try. I will prob change out for an aftermarket one. My Page @ http://www.angelfire.com/tx/bigodaman/
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    By the way, I now have 42,000 miles with a new steering shaft, new wheel liners, new brakes up front, and hopefully new cluster on my 2000 impala. I will prop get new 18" wheels and tires in the next few months.
    I have owned 2 Impala LS.... a 2000 Light Driftwood Metallic and a 2001 Sandrift Metallic. I have not experienced any sort of paint defects with neither one of them. The cars are painted very well and have no complaints about the finish.

Paint soft? I guess it is, but the truth is that most new car finishes today are water based to comply with EPA regulations. Paints are therefore thinner than oil based paints.

Wanna see extra soft paint? Just visit your nearest Honda dealer and take a look at the Accord which boasts the thinniest sheetmetal/paint of any production car today. You can chip the hood just by looking at it.

I have not seen any instances of Orange peel in both of these cars. It appears to be that Orange Peel can be observed on red pigmented cars such as the Carmine and Torch red colors. I am not sure....

Last year Edmunds reported seen orange peel on their red carmine tester....but given the accuracy of Edmunds road tests I would doubt their observations more.
    I didn't know if was you the person that had installed the TV set in between the seats...neat idea I was just wondering how the appliance was secured to avoid becoming a flying object in case of sudden braking.

Would like to see more close up pics of the adjustments in case I need to do something like this in the future..
    Unfortunately is never garaged or never sees a roof cover.

In my condo we were *lucky* enough to get a parking spot just next to a covered one...arghhh I hate condos when it comes to parking allocation!!!

At work we have a private parking lot but it is also uncovered.

My car is exposed to the heat, UV Rays and elements of South Florida all the time....a very good quality test for the Paint finish I might add.

So far no problems.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Those strips that cover the seams on the roof are called "Roof Strips". Looks like the roof is made of pieces welded together. I asked a few months earlier if anyone had the same problem of these strips lifting up at the edges. My LS is Sandrift Metallic and NEVER garaged. I've noticed the same problem with the Impalas on the dealer's lot. I've had the strips replaced, under warranty. The body shop has to color match the strips. I have to get the Right Side replaced again because the strip was damaged in shipment.
    My worry is that moisture and debris will collect in the seams and around the front and back windsheild mouldings. This will be a prime place for rust to start and makes me wonder if this will be a replay of the rust problems that GM cars had in the late '60's with their "Fastback" and Vinyl topped sedans .
    A box of tissue?!?! When you take an inventory of my car (cd's, pens, soda can) why not add a TV? I still think the TV was a neat add on. Maybe I could install a VCR in the trunk with a LCD screen in the passenger compartment. I guess the question is how to get the remote control to transmit into the trunk.

Glad to hear you like the site. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Whatever happened to simply playing the license plate game? That's what my kids do. We got darn lucky last summer; passed a whole transport truck full of cars from Hawaii passing through Arkansas.
    I have a black car that is never garaged. I have my Camaro in the garage and the Impala parked in the driveway. My next project is to break down part of my wall and build a driveway/storage area for the Camaro and the Impala can go in the garage. My thought is that the heat is softening the foam tape and the constant tension of the trim is pulling the tape apart.
    Question for you. Can you install blue Xenon lights in the Impala?