Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• bbrowne74bbrowne74 Member Posts: 58
    The '02's are comign out! That means my baby with it's 6K miles is a previous year model car! It's too soon!:>

Congrats on the new '02 Frank! I know you'll love it!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    According to Edmunds, '02 features dual zone cooling as standard equipment, LATCH child seat tethers, and later on, an optional front split bench on the LS. Looks like the LS price went up $240.
  • impala7impala7 Member Posts: 10
    Just a note.Just got back from a 1800 mile trip.Got 32.1 MPG on the car.I even double checked it.I drove to PA into Niagra Falls and Canada and back to Wi.The ride was smooth.But I was a bit nervous on handling the car in narrow areas.I use to drive a Astro van and wifes 2000 cav.Have a hard time seeing front end.But the room was great and ride.I wish they had a bigger opening in trunk.
    The other note is ,What do you say to a dealer to get a new amp in when the old one is still working.
    02 out already.Geez I should have waited.Bought mine end of May.I have only 3000 miles on it because I have a beater also and carpool to work.
    Thanks for letting me shoot my mouth off......
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I am thinking I need to go look to see if any 2002 Imp's are at a near-by dealer tomorrow.

And............ I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would want to play golf, especially alot of golf.

LOL

Tony
    Where are ya in WI? I'm here in the Metro Milwaukee area, bought mine @ Boucher, SHOULD have gone to Holz!
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    Well I took the plunge and went with the BF Goodrich Touring VR4's. I bought them because of my previous good experience with BF Goodrich and the good reviews this tire got. I know there are better ones out there, but was looking for something good in the rain, occasional snow and ice and something that was quieter than the Goodyear GA's.

They are much quieter than the GA's. Very happy with them.

My dealer is replacing that part that spans the entire dashboard, because of a gap I found where the top of the instrument cluster and the dash meets. He had to order the part from GM, so he'll put it on next week. I am going to Zaino the car this weekend and then take pictures so I can post them in the pictures area.

This Impala forum is addicting!
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    Did you ever see the crosley outboard motor?? If I remember correctly the production plant for the car/truck was in Cincy,Ohio..

Maybe I am playing too much golf!!!!I certainly will not play as much when I retire. In retirement, I will play less golf and work more..Maybe the fun of golf is doing it; and being paid at the same time..

The other side is the health aspect, since I didn't start golf until 55, time is running out..

Lots of Chevies in my life starting with a 46,48,49,50,55,58,60,61,63,64,66,68,and 69..The Camaros were a 71SS350 and a 82 Z-28..Looked at a Z last week and still not sure whether it will fit in a super seniors life..
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Can you drop me your email address, I need to ask you about something not related to the Impala board. Thanks Frank!
  • andrew48andrew48 Member Posts: 1
    Hi...My wife and I just bought a new Impala LS with every single option except the sunroof. Priced at $300 above invoice plus $1,000 off with the rebate.

What a wonderful American car!!!!

I'd just like to share some thoughts after reading the messages on this board.

First of all, I guess we are not the average buyer that Chevrolet is targeting. We are in our late twentys/early thirties - not the middle-age buyers that seem to buy the cars and are more familiar with the Impala name.I guess my point is that this car is not the "old-folks" car that it once was deemed.

In fact the LS is very stylish and just a beautiful American car. Despite the negative reports found here in the Edmunds.Com car review section, we love the round-retro taillights, the leaping Impala on the pillar, and the funky front headlights. The paint quality is perfect with a very "wet-look." I think that people have just forgotten what American style was/is. People speak of comparing the Impala to an Acura or someother import car - there is no comparison in looks. The Impala stands out; the Japanese cars have absolutely no style or visual appeal. We have had more "Nice car" reactions by people that own imports.

In general, auto magazine reviewers are extremely harsh on all American cars. They are still stuck in their "80s" mentality. In my opinion, this Chevrolet is as reliable as any car in the same price range. We test drove almost every new car out there. The Impala was the best value and the best quality for the price, hands down.

I'd also like to remind future buyers of the positive points to this car. 1) Quiet and reliable engine (3.8 used for 14 something years). 2) Supersmooth ride. Better than the Crown Vic. that Mom had! 3) Extremely quiet 4) Massive brakes 5) 5-star crash rating for head-on 5) Loaded with options 6) On-Star 7) Comfortable leather seats 8)Great style.....and the list goes on and on.......

Again, we love our new 2001 Impala LS. If you gotta have a Camry, Maxima, Acura, etc., go and get one. However, your car will not stand out like an Impala LS. Enjoy your purchase.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    None at the dealer in tempe today. they say 2-3 weeks?? hmmmmmm We bought our 2k LS in early Sept 1999 that has a build date of 8-99.

I may call our sales rep next week to get arrival info, he is on vacation now.

Our 2k LS (42k miles) is developing a popping in it that starts first thing in the morning then goes away after a few miles. Kind of like my middleaged body after I get out of bed, once I get "warmed up" I am fine too. LOL

And I swear I can feel something loose in the steering like a worn tie rod or the intermidate shaft as I drive it down the road. You can feel it in the steering wheel ever so slightly. I've had the car on our car hoist at work and I can find nothing loose in the steering.

Still love the car, altho we may go to a RWD vehicle when we replace the 2k LS.

9899olds.........

Crosley assembly plants for the autos were in Richmond and Marion Indiana I am told by long time Crosley folks.

Cincy Ohio was corp head quarters and other things Powel Crosley was into.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Welcome to Impala ownership. Be advised that the vast majority of posts on this board have been of a positive nature but every now and then someone will come in and take a contrary viewpoint. Everyone has their favorites and for some people cars are an emotional attachment rather than a tool to get from here to there. The early days of this board showed that it was up to it's 10th segment(before they went to this format of infinite posts, a segment rarely got above 800 postings) so it has been an atcive board with alot of useful information that many have used to their advantage. Stick around and maybe you can help too. By keeping everyone up to date on the Impala you become a integral part of the usefulness of this board. Anyway, I think you made a great decision!
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Just turned 21000 mi. No problems, runs great, looks good. Best Chevy I have ever owned, out of 34chevys starting with a 47 Fleetmaster . I have always done my own maintainance and some light repairs, use the cheapest oil I can find that meets GM specs and 97 octane gas. Anything more is waste. Mine is a 2000 LS w/all options except On-star & CD. Enjoy the ride.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    My email:

Frankg@equitrac.com

Norbnancy and Andrew: Amen!!!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Just curious...does the 2002 Impala have that silly partial black rear bumper?

Andrew48:
    Congratulations on your new 2001 LS. I"m also in the early 30's. 32 to be exact.

Are there Impala owners on this board that is younger than 32?
    I'm only 27. 2k1 LS loaded minus Leather, Optional Seating package, Sunroof. Love it! Wife loves it as well, she's 24, I drive her Tracker when she's tooling around in teh Impala!
    I am 29 (Well very near 30) and my wife is 25, no kids yet.

2001 Impala LS Trip Computer/OnStar/Stereo CD Only/Cloth interior/Spoiler/No Sunroof.

2700 Flawless miles and counting!.
    My 48 Fleetmaster was a tank; lucky it was because it was rolled, uprighted and driven home..

I amuse the octane is 87, not 97??????

Chevys aren't Chevys unless they are V-8s..Never had a bad one; some better than others..
    Unless they are Hurst 442 with a massive V8 engine and RWD.

Sounds the same, doesn't it?
    Sorry-- 97 octane. 97 has worked well on almost every car I have owned. I use it on my 93 Cad Fleetwood w/ no problems. It has a 350 Chev engine. My 47 Fleetmaster was also a tank but it was reliable. I have has straight 6, 4 cyl, v-6, v-8. The slug of all time was a 4 cyl Celebrity. The best performance feel is my 2001 LS. I have never owned a high performance Chev like a z- 28 of Chevelle SS. I have driven many but have never seen the need to own one. Congratulations to Andrew 48. I am confident you will be pleased with your Impala. Enjoy the ride.
  • I'd like to know where you find your 97 octane fuel. The stations around here cap off at 93.
    ;-)
    Not a 442 fan; too much garnish on the car. The 71SS350 Camaro was the sweetheart of all my Chevys. Enjoyed 90k miles of spirited driving, and believe it or not; it was a company car. Had it for approx 20 months, was driven to Arizona and sold..It was bought new for 3150 and sold for 2100..

Not really an Olds fan; just happen to get involved with the 98 Intrigue and the 99 following. Now trying to figure how to get out with something.. Talking with a dealer on the west coast Monday about the suspension fix that was figured out by the process of changing alot of parts which I avoided..Tires next and the 99 Concurs is still on the table; so with luck or misfortune by midweek I will be a three car owner..

Yesterday I make an offer on a place in farm country--Ocala--small house on the golf course which has been on the market for 2 yrs and is part of an estate deal..It's my third offer!!!
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    Is that 97 octane fuel 96/90 aviation fuel? When I was a little younger we burned a lot of the 96/90 fuel in the straight 6's of that day. Everyone said it would burn the valves,but after hundreds of hours those old sixes ran as good as they ever did. Of course these were midnight sales down on the flight line,complements of the government. We always left enough for the h-19 helicopters that were flying the next day. :*)

Nick
    Impala 69;regular gas V-8, 50k miles with 70% using the old fashioned ethyl grade was in for a valve job--new valves and grind the seats..Use what the engine maker says, want to argue?? then change the subject..

All high end driving..

The valves were a little heavy on deposits; over lubed and no place to go but stick on the stem or intake side..

Anybody that thinks the 3.8 runs better on 93 needs proziac!!!
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    To each his own.
    Silver Bullet
  • Some of us young whippersnappers prefer a little extra 23 skiddoo in our newfangled horseless carriages. In most of these modern day buggies, no harm will come of it. Many an expert, and driver alike, will even argue that it actually increases performance.
    I hear tell the scientists up in Mount Pilot have discovered that Prozac actually reduces crotchety-ness in old men. They have yet to prove it reduces the urge to use premium gas, though.
    I'am too far along for help; but California should be right on top with an unlimited supply..Ask your block warden!!!!

Call your Chevy dealer tomorrow and get the answer to your octane fit..

That is, if you can stand the truth..
    I live in Sheboygan.Bought it at the dealer in town.My first ever car was a impala.I owned mostly chevy.All were good except my 89 Astro Van. It was a big lemon.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Congrats to all the new Impala owners. '02?? Geez, I already have an 'old' car! LOL!

HVAN: I am 23 going on 24. Funny, I think I am the youngest looking person I have ever seen driving an Impala. Even at the dealership when asked what car I drive and I say with chest out "2001 Impala", I get that 'look'. Can't explain it. Maybe they are surprised that somebody my age is mature enough to have puchased a car that has 4 doors and front wheel drive.

I kinda like the "grocery getter in disguise" demeanor of my Impala! ;)

Thanks!
    RR
    I live in Sheboygan.Bought it at the dealer in town.My first ever car was a impala.I owned mostly chevy.All were good except my 89 Astro Van. It was a big lemon.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I'm 33 and thought I was young for an Impala owner. Guess not.

However, if my 5 year-old had $22k laying around I think he'd have an Impala too. He sure likes mine. Does that count?
  • phollanphollan Member Posts: 14
    I'm also 33, and thought maybe I was too young for this car. My understanding was that it was targeted at 50 year-olds.

My dad had a 66 Impala, and although you can't compare a 66 and an 01, Chevy seems to have captured something from the old Impalas. Several "old" people have commented that the taillights remind them of the old Impalas.

It's also interesting that several of you were driving Japanese cars, but made the same decision I have. I've only owned Chevys: a 90 Cavalier, which gave me 10 years and 129k miles, and a 98 Malibu, which my wife drives. The reliability of the Cavalier convinced me not to look elsewhere, but the Malibu is still a question mark.
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I am 21 and have an 01 Imp. Just because I think it's a SWEET looking car (Navy blue metallic), people don't seem to understand why I want a 4 door.

I will admit, sometimes when I'm working I just go outside and stand there with a goofy-[non-permissible content removed] grin on my face and think.... "Darn" what a good looking car. (ok I don't really think darn, but I don't wanna cuss twice).

Oh and anybody, theoretically, If you took the speed limiter off the car(which kicks in at 110 MPH), how fast do you think the 3800 V-6 would go? Just wondering.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    Does anyone know when the oil change reminder typically "Ticks Off" to remind me to change the oil ? I had changed the oil at 1500, to flush out the contaminants when we first got the car. I had reset the monitor at that point even though it had not gone off. The Impala now has 5100 miles on it OR about 3600 miles since the last change. I am just getting nervous since I have never seen the monitor work, and was wondering if I should expect it soon.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    Have you ever found the information in your manuals as to the removal of the radio in the Impala ?
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I just got my Helm manual last week. If you would like, I'll scan in the diagrams and post it sometime this week.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I just turned 21 today as a matter of fact and I've had my 01 Impala 11 months now. I've hooked it up with some good lookin wheels and plan on installing a RAzzi Ground FX kit and blue underbody neons in the near future. I'm sure they'll start making some performance parts for this engine, then its on. Alot of kids in my area compliment my car and also want one too. Its amazing how some mods to a car make other people jealous. Since I got my new wheels and tires, there is someone on the road that always wants to race. And of course my Impala LS blows em away. :-)
    Chris
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I'm 31 and single. I bought the Impala LS based on the performance record of the 3.8L engine and the Impala's great body styling. Most of all, I bought it for the 5 spoke aluminum rims that are similar to those that were on the '94-'96 Impala SS's.
    Very sorry to have confused the issue. I use 87 not 97. My apologies. To teo--- to bad Bob Lutz isn't 20 years younger and knows what he knows now. Haven't heard much about the SSR pickup lately. Have you? Enjoy the ride.
    The winners of the youngest Impala owners go to Impalaboy2001 and spider717.

Impalaboy2001 age 21
    spider717 age 21
    roderacer age 23
    bbrowne74 age 27
    teo age 29
    andrew48 age late 20's/early 30's
    jeffreyw1 age 31
    hvan3 age 32
    mediumfry age 33
    phollan age 33

For those who participated, the average age who owns an Impala on this board is 28 years old!!! Hey, GM marketing....take note!!

By the way, I feel old compare to you studs! hehe
  • gusman2gusman2 Member Posts: 9
    Ok, as promised.

2K LS

Orig Cradle was rewelded. @ 5K Mi
    Replaced orig cradle. @ 9 K Mi
    Replaced the replaced cradle and the steering rack and a tie rod replaced @ 11.8 K Mi.

Drove it home and heard the noise again.

Anyone else had similar problems? What about these shims I keep hearing about?

The service department has been very good at trying to take care of things, but this is getting a little tireing.

The car drives very nice. I love it. I just want everything to be right in order for the car to last a long, long time. (To keep my cars past 100K mi is not uncommon.)

Ideas? Comments? Sugguestions?

Im about ready to talk to the owner of the dealership.

Thanks in advance...

-Gus

PS... had the Amp replaced. Can you say BASS? YES!
    The attention of the generation X'ers while the Intrigue is the sedan of choice among the Geritol set...hehe ;)
    Which cars have you raced and beat?

I'm waiting for a punk with a Lexus IS300. I want to race him at the light.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    ...I even feel old! Good to know that there are some 'youngsters' out there with taste.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, impalaboy2001!

Keep the rubber down.

RR
  • impalamomimpalamom Member Posts: 6
    I'm glad to see that there are alot of young Impala owners. I am 33. It seems like all guys posting here. Any other women out there? Am I the only one with a black '01 LS with a carseat??
    Is the other 'mom' in the forum...haven't heard from her lately...
    Thanks for the update on the octane wars!!! I appreciate the candor/honesty; for some of the motor heads on this forum were having a field day with the gas bit..

Good to see the youth and the heirs to this great country are choosing Impalas as their prime wheels..I hope GM will upgrade the Impala with some suspension goodies and speed rated tires to get to 130 level..Give it some MC SS agility..
  • On the road, it seemed all the other Impala drivers were older than me. I was getting worried that I was driving an "old fart" car. I don't have to worry any more.
    It appears to be the exact opposite here. It's like a fountain of youth. I feel ten years younger.
    Okay Cars I beat.....A honda Civic EX, a Nissan Pickup truck (HAHA), and a Grand Am. These races were on a curvy road where the speed limit is 45mph and I was averaging between 90 and a 100. Dont try doing this, its scary as hell, I feel comfortable cause of my new Wheels and tires I got. Has anybody heard or installed a shifter improver kit in their transmission??? I'm thinkin about doin that.
    Chris
    It would be great if there were any other Impala owners on this forum from around the Pensacola, FL area. I plan on goin to Blue Angel Recreational Park to participate in the SCCA Solo II races on August 26 @ 8:00 - 10:00am. Anybody interested??? This is a great way to push your Impala to the limits and have a great time. if so email me at chrbut@home.com
    Chris