Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    This conversation reminds me of the other fella that liked to come to this forum and put down the Impala, remember him? I think it was that Malibu guy. Some people can never grow up and resist the chance to argue about who's b*lls are bigger!

By the way,research continues...
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Upon further review I find I am only actually 36 !!!! years old. Dang. Almost pushed myself one year earlier into the grave. 1965... 36... yes.. that's it..

And I had that grandbaby at 35, so I'm right up there with the 40 year old guy with two 20-something boys. How do those boys like the car? My 22 year old stepson loves it and would take it off my hands today if he had any money. He's also a big guy and driving my Impala is a dream to him. I have the bench seats, so he's never complained about the "loaf of bread" under his leg thing. That would bug me too. Probably enough to order custom seats.

During my vacation I drove all over Central Oregon up and down some pretty steep grades. The car is a dream up those hills. I had the A/C going the whole time and you never noticed a hesitation.

One day, for a hike, the car was driven up 7+ miles of VERY dusty gravel washboard road. It was noisy... but the real hell was all the dust I picked up in the car. The hubby drove with the air on "fresh" AKKKK!!!! so dusty crap is all over the car. Tonight will be my "fine toothed comb" detail night to see if I can get most of it out.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    How's the research going?
  • bbrowne74bbrowne74 Member Posts: 58
    Resale value has stablized? Try selling your car now. REALLY try to sell it. You'll sde that you're completely off.

I do have to say that for being an "Aged" gentlement you act very juvenile. You slam a vehicle you haven't even sat in, let alone driven. Do you really have so much time, or have such a poor existance, that you must take to doign this? I expect more of our older population.

I looked at the Intrigue. It's fit and finish wasnt' as refined as the Impala. Did the same w/ the Alero and again came back to Chevy.

You're view is very skewed and biased. You have no credability. Go play somewhere else.
  • Hunter: Got that right! It seems like a big p-ing contest, sometimes, instead of an honest and thoughtful comparison/discussion.
    Teo: I have to disagree about the newest CL. I know you prefer the older Nippon-built Acuras, but my US-built CL is for the most part top notch. The transmission, the only part actually made in Japan, is flawless. It's even smoother than the Impala's, which is pretty smooth in its own right. Have you driven one?
    The two cars make an excellent combo. Sporty coupe and (sporty) family sedan. Personally, I think it's an even better combo than Impala/Altima. ;-)
    9899:You're just..you know...wrong. But, what do I know? I'm just a punk kid of 43 that makes prudent purchasing and financial decisions based on fact, not preconceived notions, myth, hearsay, and old wives' tales.
    It also helps to actually be familiar with something before opining about it.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Man, things sure are getting hot under the collar around here. I thought it was only hot outside these past few days!

I try to remember that everyone has a right to their own opinion. I'd like to think that these opinions are based on fact rather than conjecture, but often they're not. My wife will believe almost anything a TV commercial tells her, and I still believe that cranberry sauce is radioactive waste from a nuclear power plant and is unfit for human consumption, even though I've never tried it (cranberry sauce - not nuclear waste).

Most of the people on this group LOVE the Impala (myself included). However, there are lots of people in the world that don't like it (maybe even hate it), some with good reason, some without. Occasionally I even agree with the detractors.

The bottom line is this is a public forum. Anyone and everyone has the right to express their opinion. If they state it in a less than polite manner so be it - I'm comfortable enough with my decision that nobody on this group (or anywhere else for that matter) can make me regret my decision.

I really enjoy this group, particularly when we can debate issues in an open, honest, and POLITE manner. I hope we can keep doing so for a long time in the future.
    Brad
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    Is car buying really a matter of fit and finish or is it purely economic??????

Is there a free lunch at the Impala counter???

Don't think I gave out the stabilized price; now did I????

This is an free day waiting for the phone to ring for all the business has been placed for the next four yrs in the automotive area and the other stuff is done on a quarterly basis..Tomorrow is Golf and friday is business..Okay

By the way I noticed the SS check came today..

Alero is really small,Intrigue is too pricey, but Impala fits the bill for price..I go along with that for the next step is a upgraded Impala out of the same parts bin--LeSabre..

Now you have a nice day..I am doing well in the Motor City...This is where the action starts on the drawing board and ends up in somebodys driveway..

Gotta listen to Rush!!!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Don't know. Maybe. Real estate has slowed down a lot as have car sales. I went through the '74- 75 one and the one in the early eighties.
    Does anybody remember what WIN stands for?

I am tightening my purse strings. Might let the
    impala go and wait for the altima. That way i would be without a car payment for a couple of months.
    I still have the camaro to drive during that time.

Other than the vinyl trim on the roof i have not had one single thing go wrong with it.
    In 9 weeks of wnership i have 4300 miles on the car!
    I had multiple problems with the intrigue during that mileage.
    I would wait and see how the new Altima fares reliability wise...remember it is still a first year car after a full overhaul.

Is better to let others test drive the 1.0 version of an all new car before taking the plunge, just in case.

The Altima is nice but it is smaller than the Impala.

I would keep both around and let go of the Camaro...
    Broom the camaro for the real estate could get interesting with people upside down in the home value market and not working..

Just made the third offer on a vacant house in Fla, been on market for 2 yrs, in an estate deal; vacant, offered 20% less than listed price..

Interest rates are rotten for the AARPers who use interest income to subside..
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    ARE WE BUYING HOUSES NOW? I NOW HAVE 43000 MILES ON MY 2000 IMPALA!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    When they first came out with the computer controlled feedback system, you could replace the chip in the car's computer. Then the manufacturer's made the chips non-removable. So now, you can reprogram the chip or intercept the feedback signals between the engine sensors and the computer and modify them. This is what the JET product does.

If you are interested in the JET unit and how to install one, go to my site and take a look at the JET Power Control Unit how-to article. I have been told that it does not remove the speed limiter, but you do get more HP and the fuel economy improved. The down side is you will have to switch to premium gas.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

Camaro stays as it is paid for and is worth more to me than on the open market.
    Carrying 6 residential listings now and inventory is building. Price reductions are in order.
    Saw that car sales are down and the incentives are not working. Detroit seems to be building cars earlier, and 2002's are appearing on the lots in July.
    Low inventory of impalas and no inventory on intrigues.
    Impala is a lot of car for the money overall.
    Still happy with my purchase, but never considered it a long term deal. I parked my early lease turn in money in the impala.
    21K for a fully loaded full size car is pretty incredible.
    The altima that i am looking at wil probably cost 23K or more. Smaller car, but better performance.
    Yes still looking and reading, I went to the Nissan site to look at that Altima, it's sharp looking and you're right about first year models, however, I have had pretty good luck with my 2000LS even if you and others haven't, so I'm less inclined to be scared off of the Altima for just that reason. I still think the Camry with a V6 will be too pricey. If the wife didn't think the Impala was too big I'd be going for another frankly...
    Sorry for asking, but will you lose your 'shirt' by trading up your Impala early, even if it is a lease?

Why not keep the car for another year or so?

Aside from the issues of buying the 1.0 version of an all new car (I think Nissan has excellent build quality, but you never know)right now the new '02 Altima will command high MSRP or above prices. Why pay extra for the fad?

Let the market for the Altima cool down as I am sure you'll get a better deal and a better car 1 or 2 years down the road...

Just my .10 cents
    The current Camry is OK but the 2002 looks much, much better. However, I still prefer the looks and performance of the '02 Altima. I have seen pictures of the '02 Lexus ES300 and the car looks hideous...it appears that the Infiniti designers moved over to Lexus.

For the first time, the '02 Camry looks better than the '02 ES300 IMHO.

There are a lot of neat models coming up next year and if you can pass up on current low interest rates and incentives, I would wait to see what comes down the pipe within the next few months...
    Neat website, enjoyed very much and since you are a Impala aficionado maybe you can answer a question..if none of the Jet kits remove the speed limiter on the LS model, other than tires there has to be a reason that GM does not offer relief on the LS series?? I assume the SS Monte Carlo is limited at the 128/130 mark.. They are equipped with the Goodyear RSAs and modified suspension to handle the extra..

Just curious if Impala offers such a deal and if the police pkg is available to the general public..
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    NICE JOB!! on the info you have posted concerning removing the radio.I think the information and accompanying picture do a great job in explainimg how to remove the radio. The only thing that now makes me nervous is the possible re-programmng of the radio. I am going to have to get additional about a possile reprogramming of the radio. I would really hate it to find out I am unable to get the new radio to run because of the theftloc, then be unable to to the old radio to run because the theftloc may get activated when removed from the dash also.

Thanks
    Frank
    I bought the impala. I paid 21K for a car that had a 25.5K MSRP so i am not too far upside down.
    That was a steal!

Sorry if I sounded too intruding...
    The 2002 Impala LS will be finally available with the front bench seat option later in the production year. There you go, now if you like the LS looks and crave for the 6 passenger seating capacity, now you can get the LS instead of the Base with the 3800 V6 engine. This move makes more sense IMO and broadens the appeal of the LS model for those who need the extra seat in the middle front row.
    Chevy does sell regular rubber mudflaps for the Impala as well as the moulded splash guards. Both items would do the same thing, namely reduce the amount of crud thrown up onto your car by the tires. The moulded ones just look better.
    When you ask about relief for the LS, are you asking why GM doesn't set the speed limiter higher?

I don't know the actual reason for the limiter. There can be a number of justifications. Keeping the engine from red-lining, a federal mandate, protecting the transmission.

There are some differences between the regular Impala and the police package, but I never did a comparison. The limiter on the police version is set at 124 mph.

Generally speaking, the police package is not available to the general public. To order one, you usually need a request on police letterhead. If you work something out with your dealer, they might be willing to order you one. I did consider it, but I liked the rims on the LS and the police package only comes with the black steel ones.
    Glad you liked the article. Sorry that it brought up a new issue, but better you know before you start. A couple of people have done the relocation, but I don't have their e-mail address so I can't ask about the re-programming issue.
  • Your dealer should have given you the code. If not, ask them. They will explain how to reprogram.
    It's a good procedure to know. The same holds true if you were to change the battery, or the battery were to die for some reason. (Thank goodness for auto-headlamps)
    Thanks for the info on the speed limiter..The SC on the GTP is set around 130. That is the only SC model across the board to flex it's muscle..the others are cutoff at 109..

Have a good evening..
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Saw a gray police Impala at Williams Chevrolet in Traverse City. Probably a 2002. Couldn't get to it as it was in a locked fenced area. It had twin black spot lights, black rims. Stealthy!! Enjoy the ride.
    Been awhile since we chatted about it, but if anyone is using a BRA on their Impala, how is it working? Paint problems, etc?

I know some also use the front end deflector (My choice at the moment). How is it working for you if you have one? again - paint problems, etc?
    on my way to golf this AM I will stop at the local Chev/Olds dealer for info on Impalas, Intrigues, and the Zs..He is a member of the same golf club and I did the Z bit with his car back in early summer..

They have a silver SS coupe on the lot for 5 mos for it has the 6spd and roof panels..Seems to be lots of SS Zs on dealers lots..
    As many of you already know, I own both the bra and the hood deflector. Both work beautifully. There are no paint issues with either (although I never have the bra on for more than 3 or 4 days at a time, and I always carefully clean the front of the car before installing it).

There is a minor installation issue with the deflector. You need to cut away a small part of the deflector to prevent "pinching" between the hood and a couple of the hood bumpers. If you don't do this the deflector will crack. The modification is really easy to do with a hole saw. With this modification made I've had zero problems with the deflector.

I use the deflector for most "everyday" driving, and the bra for longer trips, highway trips, or trips on buggy nights. The bra-to-deflector swap takes about 90 seconds. The deflector-to-bra swap takes about 4 minutes.

From a looks standpoint, they both look great. The bra gives a much more aggressive look, while the deflector looks very clean and unobtrusive (at least on my navy blue LS).

I'd be happy to share more details if anyone wants. Just check my profile and send me an e-mail.
    Brad
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I never recall putting down the Impala ro making it a habit to come here and put it down. I hate the interior yes, and the tail lights are a disgrace to the Impala name but overall the car is great. An interior layout like the new Taurus ( can't believe I said that but the interior of the Taurusis nice )would make that car my top one on my list. However, I have changed my mind about sedans and my next lease ( in 9 months ) will be a new Trailblazer LT, if by then they change the rear design of the Impala I might consider it again, but don't get me wrong it's just STYLING I hate about it, the car is rock solid. i just can't get over the Biscayne tailights. So there it is, malibu99 never has and never will put down a Chevy product, I'm just picky about design. Peace. :-)
    Trailblazer is a very nice SUV. I drove one back in April and the 4.2L DOHC In line 6 engine is the best part of that truck.

Taurus interior? Yuck! Anything with the blue oval label makes me p*ke..
    Might not have been you... but I recall quite the uproar amoung the faithful here on this board in april and may of 2000 and arguements about who's car was better, sorry if I tainted you...

Teo, is that 2.5 Liter DOHC 4 banger in the New Altima a totally new powerplant or has it been around for awhile? Info I get on it is it's going to produce 186hp! The V6 is going to throw out 240! I was able to get interior and exterior measurements on it from a dealer yesterday, it's going to have almost 4 inches more front leg room than it's 2001 model, and almost 2 inches shoulder room. They said it was due 1st of September.
    I think it is brand new. The current generation Altima has a 2.4L Engine which churns out 150HP. This engine has been in used in Altimas since they first came out in 1993.

I think the 2002 Altima is one impressive machine. I believe it will give the '02 Toyota Camry a run for the money. The Accord is already dated and the redesign isn't scheduled until 2003. Judging on what Honda did to the dull 2001 Civic I am not expecting anything great from them with the '03 Accord...who knows.

Again, I have my issues about buying the 1.0 version of any new car but if you are in the market, the new Altima deserves a hard look.

Too bad you can't use your GM Card points to get one :)
    Okay, let's get to know those who have the highest/lowest mileage recorded in their Impalas.

My 2000 LS had 15,500 miles when I returned it.

My 2001 LS currently has 2,800 flawless miles Since April 25, 2001...
    9 weeks and 4400 miles. Includes a 1300 mile vacation trip. No problems except for roof trim.
    Its 11:40 AM in Charleston SC and it is 92 degrees with 100% humidity! How's the weather where you are?
    I'm dying here.
    Miami, FL

86F and 66% humidity, and sunny.

UV factor of 5.10

Real heat feel: 99F

Winds: E 5MPH

Visibility: 10.0 Miles

Barometer 30.12

:)
    12 weeks, 9800km (about 6,125 miles).
    Isn't it supposed to be hotter in Miami. After all, I am 550 miles North of you. LOL.
    As of 11:00 am EDT in Waterloo, Ontario:

Sunny
    Temp: 87.4 (30.8 C)
    Humidex: 100.8 (38.2 C)
    Barometer: 29.87 (101.15 kPa)
    Winds: WSW 18.3mph (29.5 km/h)
    Humidity: 52%
    Visibility: 8 miles (12.8 km)
    According to CNN.com (Clinton News Network):

Charleston, SC:

Temp: 82F
    Humidity: 85%
    Winds: WSW at 5MPH

Actually Miami is 5F hotter :)
  • larryhartlarryhart Member Posts: 23
    Have 33,000 on my Y2K LS. It will be 2 years old on Thanksgiving. Will keep this awesome vehicle until the "SS" comes to market (2005?).
    I'm 45 years old but it's a young 45. . . LH
    Got mine Memorial Day. So that's baout 2.5 Months, and I'm going to crack about 6G's here in teh next coupld days I bet.

That's about 2400 a month. Better then what I was doing on my Altima and Saturn. I need this car to last!:>
    Go to www.wtma.com and you will see what i am talking about.
    Temperature reading was from an hour ago.
    When i posted the orignal temp my DIC read 95 degrees and i usually subtract 3 degrees from that.
    I'm out west about 15 mi. from downtown Milwaukee. MY digital thermometer, in the shade, is 94.2 degree F. Humidity, god knows!
    May be the Impala DIC should also include readouts for humidity, barometric pressure, UV exposure, wind speed and a full 5 day forecast...
    Actually, the manual says to attach the scan tool to reprogram the radio.
    Don't want to hear about anyone who is living where the humidity is only 52%. I am jealous.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    approximately 5800 happy miles since May 15, 2001.

Weather here in No. IL: 93 degrees and 47% humidity, down from 60% ish yesterday! NICE!

Take care,
    RR