Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Anybody have an idea about the air bag light flashing on for < 1 second every once in a great while. What is with that?

Otherwise the 2001 LS has been a great car.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Hey Mr, Very small, very small issue... WAY WAY DOWN THE LIST.... Just asked if anyone had any problems with this thing. "W O W" With your 5 or 6 posts your making it BIGGER AND BIGGER !!!(it must bothering you) Its obvious you didn't read my post 6524 that indicated "THE LADY AT GM, STATED I MIGHT BE GETTING A CREDIT" I didn't ask for one as you seem to imply in your last post. if it isn't repaired, or replaced, no big deal b4z. Its way down the list.. If they do credit me the cost, I will be happy and I know you will be happy for me,
    won't you b4z!!

Now I am very busy moving over to my partimer on Ebay.

over and out John
    Maybe someone posted about this issue earlier but Chevy will replace Oldsmobile in IRL racing next year with a Chevy V8. For most open wheel fans they remember Chevrolets winning I believe 5 or 6 Indianapolis 500's in a row back in the early 90's and late 80's, and dominated most of the racing schedules.

I'm more of a Nascar fan myself (since 1962) but thought you open wheel race fans would like to know this info if you weren't already aware. First race schedule in Florida March 2/2002.

John
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    What was that rant all about?
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I'm not sure about the fuel pump location on the Impala, but on my caravan I understand that 2 gallons of gas are needed in the tank to cool the tank mounted fuel pump. That is why the fuel computer prematurely reads zero fuel. I'd have to believe there is similar reasoning with the Impala.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    There has not been a quote, en-quote "RECALL" on any of the Impala's. From Way back in June of 1999 to the present, there has been a few Service Bulletins for varis things, But there is no Recall on the Cradle, If you buy one that is still under warranty and have noises and do not have the reinforce welded cradle and they deem that the problem they will change it out, I had some noises from the front end while going over bumps in the road and they changed my cradle and moved the Steering Shaft around and the noises came back a week later, they changed the ISS and the noises stopped, so the fact that the ISS absorbs some movement and lacks Lube may have been the whole Culprit. It only stopped after the ISS was replaced and I had an Early Cradle made in 11/99 so maybe my cradle was good after all? Will never know (But it made no noises for almost 2 years and 20K miles) and only needed the ISS, Someone said there will be a Bulletin on the ISS for them to re-lube it somehow, that would be covered (if in warranty) .

I am lost on the Bowtie or Impala Logo question, They all have the Bowtie on the Grill, if you are talking about the LS Center Caps the ones with the Impala Logo are Spec'd for the '94-'96 SS and they fit the LS Rims for a different look. Don
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I'd put 100 ft-lbs on them. I can't imagine you'd damage the rim by torquing them that much. 100 ft-lbs is a lot less torque than 95% of all people torque their lugnuts. Try taking your car to get the wheels balanced or rotated or whatever, then use a torque wrench to take the nuts off. You'll have to put 150+ ft-lbs of torque on those babies to get them off most of the time. If the rims couldn't handle it, they'd be breaking ALL OVER THE PLACE.

That's my opinion.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Wheel lug nut torque should end up at 100 ft. lbs. The 85 lbs you mentioned may have come from one of my prior posts. When I rotate my wheels, I hand tighten the lug nuts, then tighten to 80-85 ft. lbs using a star pattern, then final torque to 100 ft. lbs in a star pattern. I have never warped a rotor since using this method. Ending up torque must be 100 ft. lbs. or you may end up loosing a wheel. Just purchased a set of General Gen Seals for my 93 Fleetwood Brougham at Discount tire. They tightened lug nuts properly using a click set torque wrench. I watched very closely. They also balanced my chrome wheels using glue on weights on the inside of the wheel. A great job. My 2000 LS just passed27000 miles with no problems. My brother's 2000LS has over 40000 miles with only one problem when it was very new, a cross threaded brake line. He just made a trip from Mich to Calif and averaged 30 + mpg. When his lease expires in March he is leaning towards a new LS. Enjoy the ride.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My posts regarding the DIC were an attempt to interject a little levity into the discussion.
    I thought that was fairly transparent.

I was not making fun of you, or your concerns about the inaccuracy of the DIC, just the fact the none of them are accurate.
    I never expected it to be accurate. So when it wasn't my expectations were realized.

Let us know how Chevy handles the problem.
    b4z: You're right, lets see what Chevy says. If they consider this a trivial thing then its time to move on. This is the only thing that I have noticed with the car, fortunate enough not to have any other problems, been driving Chevy's since the 60's.

John
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Replaced my wiper blades with a set of the Triple-Edge blades last night; thought I'd pass along that if you're replacing the blades ONLY (not the entire assembly), it is easier to remove the assembly from the sheperd's hook wiper arm and switch them out, than it is to try to lean over the car the entire time. Also found I had to slightly expand the flanges a bit to be able to slide the new blades into place. And finally, FWIW, the Triple-Edge 22" blades have about 1/2" less "blade" than did the factory blades. However, the 1/2" of visibility I lost is more than made up by the 100% clear vision I have out the front now.
  • larryhartlarryhart Member Posts: 23
    http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

Check out Nathan's (night_owl1) awesome website. The cradle TSB fix is # 00-08-61-003. This "shim fix" is the recommended remedy but my dealer insisted on replacing the Y2K cradle with a 2K1 cradle. I've now got 40,000+ miles on my Y2K LS and the clicks/clunks are gone. I never had my ISS replaced & hope I'll never have to ! ! . . LH

The vaunted Honda Accord seems to have quality related problems of its own...here is a post taken from the "Repair and Maintenance" forum:

"While I love the engine the quality is not at all what I would expect. Here are some of the problems I've had on my 2000:

Parts in glove box came loose and would rattle
    Front door foot panels were installed improperly
    Seat would move in its track and needed replacement
    The windshield was installed at an angle and needed to be removed and reinstalled
    The interior lights pulsate when slowing down
    Parts fell off in the door
    Parts in sunroof became loose and sunroof would not close.

it's funny my dealer was saying the ones that they are building in Mexico have bad paint.

As for the thin sheetmetal...Yes it is thin but it is part of the attribute that makes the car fun to drive and tossable."
  • Mexico????? Honda manufactures in Mexico now? I'm glad my CL wasn't "German-engineered". (VW-speak for "Made in Mexico")
    And you thought US-made Hondas weren't as good as Japan-made. American Honda found a way to make their US-built cars (seem)better! ;-)
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Use 100 ft/lb as the final torque. I have never heard about damaging a rim with a higher than recommended torque, but it can warp your rotor or snap off a stud.

All Impala's come with a bowtie in the center grill. Some people have replaced the grill with aftermarket ones that do not have an emblem at all. As was mentioned before, you can get replacement center caps for your rims with the Impala logo, but it runs about $19 each.

The cradles were redesigned for the '01 model year. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    This morning (thursday) My friend and I (we both have 2001 Impala LS cars met (for 1 1/2 hours) with the Niagra District GM Supervisor at a local Chevy dealership. He is responsible for all of the GM dealerships in the Niagra corridor in Southern Ontario Canada. My friend had a list of issues to deal with including the DIC problem. Right off the top he informed us that in the past 2 days he contacted the technician division of Chevrolet and found that they are having problems with these devices. Several complaints and found they average 18% in accuracy on the low side. The major complaints were people travelling on holidays and this device calculating the various totals. He said totally unacceptable. He had a lap top computer with him, and said if this thing was out 18% in retrieving or accepting information he couldn't use it. He also said you wouldn't accept your pay check out 18%. He said it is a computer not a guesstometer. He is going to get back to us.

I spoke to him about ISS and engine cradles and said they have been a huge problem, but they are now doing more repairs on both rather then replacing which is a tremendous expense. He had an ISS in the trunk of his car used to show customers at different dealers how they remedied the problem with these. and informed us that they are drilling out existing ones, puting on a grease fitting and pumping them full of grease, in the lower end.

I asked about the other gauges in the cars and he said very rarely problems with gas gauges or speedometers. Years ago speedometers were mechanical with a magnetic device that pulled on the needle ran off a steel cable a series of gears, the past 15 years most electronic speedometers are certified within 1 mph on the whole scale.(thats pretty accurate)

Talked about engine oil. He said in the past 2 years they have been informing all dealers that frequent oil changes are not needed. The tolerances in todays engines are so close today because of the current engine computers and pollution controls that oil contamination has dropped considerably. I believe the manual says you can travel up to 10000 miles before an oil change. The oils used today are 100% improvement just in the last few years alone, he says.

Are you still with me........ Talked about police Impalas. (I saw one out back) He wasn't too positive about these. I was surprised he said that (this guy is the GM District Supervisor) Several are used by our provincial police in the area. Lower sticker price, better gas mileage than the old Caprices and current Crown Vics but much much higher maintenace costs. I was in emergency services for 30 years and I know how vehicles can be driven. While I was out back at the dealers a 2 week old 2002 OPP police Impala (highway car) was there for service. 4800 KM or 3000 miles on it. I asked a technician why was the car here and he showed me the front plastic/rubber valance at the front below the rad was broken and dragging on the road. He said after a short time they are all coming in for this item and bent front end components. I guess its a trade off for lower sticker price, and better gas mileage. But I don't think police departments can afford too much down time of their vehicles. He said the Police market is a huge business for manufactures not for selling the vehicles but the service maintenance contracts. The late model Caprices 1996 with their detuned Corvette engines were a strong favourite at the time and the rear wheel drive was superior in rugged police work. in late 1995 Chevrolet decided that building Pick up trucks at their Arlington Texas plant was financially more beneficial then to continue with the aging Caprice at the time.

John
  • Very cool and informative post. He seems like an honest and straightforward guy. Nice change of pace for a corporate mouthpiece. I particularly like "guesstometer".
    I was also wondering how the Impala would stand up to the rugged use of police and other emergency services. No surprises there. I bottom out that stupid plastic valence/cowl thing every time I leave my driveway, and I smack or scrape it on the concrete stoppers every time I park in a lot.
    If you talk to him again, could you ask him about any problems with seat tracks or adjuster motors causing a loose or wobbly power drivers seat? Chevy changed the design of the seat tracks in mid 2001. A number of people, including myself, have had this sympton.
    That stupid cowl is responsible for redirecting air to cool the radiator. For the Intrigues, GM has issued a shorter version of the chin air dam to avoid scraping.

Haven't had a problem with mine..I am more carefull when approaching driveways, ramps,etc.
    While you are at it, please get us purchasers of the DIC a credit for the faulty DIC from GM. Nothing a firmware update can't fix...big deal!

I think we should also get credit for the engine oil life monitor too.

What's next? The radio's clock?
  • I don't think I should have to drive gingerly to avoid scraping the less-than-optimally-designed (or "stupid") cowl. A police officer definitely shouldn't have to.
    I haven't seen a Police Impala up-close so I can't verify whether it has the chin spoiler or not. Sure it should not have to, after all is a piece of plastic that can be modified to have better clearance if needed be.
    I avoid hitting the concrete tops in parking lots. Regardless of the car I am driving I always leave some space between the front wheels and the concrete top. You know what made me learned this?

When I bought my then new 1995 Acura Integra sedan, I was pulling up in our parking space and next the wheels touched the concrete top...but what happened next was unbeliavable....there is a plastic lid that runs well below the front bumper assembly support..ride above it all the engine belts are located. Well, when I hit the concrete top, the plastic lid piece bent inwards and caught up with two belts shredding them to pieces...the noise was horrible and I immediately shut off the engine. When I open the hood to check for damage, there were shredded pieces of belt everywhere in the engine bay and under the car. Called Acura's TLC (Luckily that was the first year Acura had introduced the free road side assistance) and the two truck was there in 30 minutes. Took the car back to the dealer and the service advisor told me...all Integras have this problem of shredding the engine belts when the plastic lid bents and makes contact with the running belts...I have seen at least 5 Integras coming in with the same issue. They kept the car there for a day, replaced the damaged belts and presto no more problems after that.

I friend of ours has a '99 VW Jetta engineered in Mexico and the whole front bumper got ripped apart when she parked too close to a concrete top and she was pulling away.

Anecdotes such as these have teached me that one should never park too close to sidewalks or concrete parking spot tops..today's cars are very low.
  • Perhaps I too will learn the hard way!

You mean engineered in Germany, don't you? They're only made in Mexico! ;-)
    http://www.gmcanada.com/english/fleet/information/vehicles_taxi.html#anchor4

As for the engine cradle it says:

"Heavy-Duty Engine Cradle with High Strength Side Rails - Standard"

Oh and by the way the DIC is not included in the Taxi package...you know, you don't want those NYC cabbies all pissed off because of the 18% margin error...

The axle ratio of the 9C6 Taxi package is 3.29

Don, any news on your 2001?
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the informative post and the fact finding mission.
    Are you saying they are fixing, not replacing, BOTH the cradle and the ISS? I thought both had redesigned parts. I would think a replacement would be a better bet.
    Does the ISS fix (drilling to add lube point) get the old ISS up to the same spec as the new replacement?
    Again, I don't understand why folks can't get a redesigned replacement...unless the replacements are bad too.
    Confusion reigns with the cradle issue:

AGAIN FOR THE ONE HUNDRETH TIME:

THE CRADLE AND ASSOCIATED COMPONENTS WERE REVISED FOR THE 2001 MODEL YEAR. I HAVE SEEN THESE CARS WITH MY SERVICE DIRECTOR ALONG SIDE ME POINTING THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 2000 CRADLES AND THE 2001+ CRADLES. THE ONLY CARS THAT WILL EXHIBIT CRADLE PROBLEMS WILL BE THE 2000'S. 2001'S HAVE BEEN PROPERLY REVISED AND SHOULD NOT CAUSE THE PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED BY EARLY PRODUCTION IMPALA OWNERS.

STOP THE CONFUSION!!!
  • >>>STOP THE CONFUSION!!!<<<

Yeah. Don't rock the cradle! ;-)
    #6479 00Impala
    "We have our 2001 Base Impala here with us in PA for the weekend, Yesterday I was driving around in a parking lot and I could hear these noises from the front end when I would turn the wheel while driving along some other cars, Today we went for lunch and I accellerated from a stop light and "CLUNK...."
    "then we get home and I am talking to my wife while she is behind the wheel getting ready to go shopping,(car in park, running w/emergency brake on) and I said, turn the wheels,and I hear this loud series of TICK<TICK<TICK...kinda like the New Years Eve Clacker that has a piece of Tin against a plastic gear, Loud enough it almost hurt my ears.."
    "Our Base Impala is a 2001 Built 6/01...So that blows the theory that all of the 01/02's are immune."

I'm very curious how 00Impala's service appt. goes tomorrow.
    Nope Gweilo, no, no
    Hmm. 00Impala..care to comment?
    I think the GM rep (Gary) meant that early on they repaired the cradles with the shims as Teo mentioned previously. I am sure now they are replacing the cradles with the newer designs. He did emphasize that the cradle issue was not safety related, more of a noise annoyance with the flexing of the aluminum components, lack of welds in strategic places, also a Teo had mentioned earlier. The ISS issue I guess replace or repair determines how bad it is, but according to him the lack of lubricant is the culprit. He stated over time the grease was moving up the inner workings and leaving less lubricant on the spline. It was a major problem with other GM models previous to the Impala.(We all remember the Intrique.) I sort of sense that the grease fitting drilled on the ISS does not really repair the problem just made it available to grease every once in awhile.

I should have asked him about 2003 Impala SS. But he probably would not have info on that yet, I don't think corporate decisions have been made.
    Personally I could see them using the new 4.3 inline 6 that developes 270 HP. Its a bullit proof engine.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    After reading that GM Brake Service Bulletin, I wonder how we are to keep our wheels clean and shiny? The torque stick doesn't inspire my confidence. Use a properly calibrated and set the Micrometer (Click) Torque Wrench and follow the recommended tightening sequence. The other Torque Wrench is the "Deflecting Beam", don't forget 100 ft/lbs (Owners Manual).
    Wiper Blades: Owners Manual is quite good in describing how to change blades. I just changed to Winter Blades a few weeks ago, believe me you have to stop the wipers when they are vertical. Otherwise they are too long and won't enough room to remove them from the arms. If you live in Ice and Snow - Winter Blades are the only way to go. Just remember to change them out in the Spring. When it gets warmer I'm going to get the front splash guards, have seen the way the snow builds up behind the front fender?
    Air Deflector: Even the Police versions scrape the bottom. I too, scrape going in and out of my driveway and some other streets. "Just the way they make them." ;-) Looks like the deflector is pretty flexible, but I still cringe at the sound.
    While I had the hood up and the noise is coming from the firewall area...ie ISS... It goes in in the morning, I was saying that the ISS was changed on my 2000 LS "After" the Cradle, If they would have changed the ISS first the noises might have stopped then? I think the ISS is the Culprit. Will know tommorow. Don

By the way, I had my front air dam replaced a year ago and it only costs like $22.00 but $30 labor, Next time I will do it myself.
    I think I was wrong in assuming I have the Cradle problem on my 2001, I did not have any of the noises on my 2000 LS when I turned the wheel left and right, so I do not know what the ticking symptoms are or were or sounded like over the last 2 years of reading these posts, I just "Freaked" and jumped the gun when my 2001 made noise while turning the wheel and my thought immediatly led to the old Cradle Noise people have described (But only on 2000's ), I am pretty sure now that I have a ISS Problem. Sorry for any confusion. I will have a prognosis tommorow afternoon. Don
  • pevapeva Member Posts: 42
    ...b4z, larryhart, 00impala, and night_owl1 (hope I didn't leave anyone out) on my questions about ISS, cradle, and the Impala logo - very helpful.

Haven't checked out night_owl1's website yet, but as soon as I hit the "post" button, that's where I'm headed.

I know with 100% absolute certainly that I have seen the Impala logo on hoods or grills (sorry I can't remember which - but I believe it's in place of the bow tie on the grill) of more than one '00 or '01 Impalas in my area - definitely factory installed. I carry my digital camera with me, so next time I see one (hopefully parked), I'll snap a photo and post a link to it. IMO it really adds a nice touch and helps distinguish it in a good way from all the look-too-much-alike cars out there now. In fact it's what caught my eye when I first became aware of the new Impalas about 6 months ago.

(editorial comment - man, it sure is hard to scroll around and find specific messages in this forum - too bad they don't have a threading option. But what the heck, it's worth more than what I'm paying for it, eh?)
    Thanks for the clarification.
    If it is the ISS, are you going to demand a replacement ISS or let them modify it?
    This is what I was asking about from your longer report:
    "I spoke to him about ISS and engine cradles and said they have been a huge problem, but they are now doing more REPAIRS ON BOTH rather then replacing"
    But you are sure they are replacing the cradles?
  • ISS - It sounds like the ISS issue is alive and well for some 2001+ owners. I guess it didn't die after the 2000MY, after all.

Impala Logo - If you saw a leaping Impala on the grill of a 2000+, then it must have been a custom job. Perhaps you are thinking of the taillight applique? The bowtie is standard issue.
    teo posted: "I haven't seen a Police Impala up-close..." Well I have - maybe the same one that is in Patrick's photos on night_owl1's website - I live in Virginia! That up-close peek cost me $60, however I didn't realize he was driving an Impala at the time - was busy trying (unsuccessfully) to talk myself out of a ticket. I know it is an Impala now because I see him cruising the stretch of highway I go to work on every day.

The dealer that is supposed to be keeping his eye out for an off-lease '01 LS for me said that that trooper told him he really likes the Impala - and it gets much better gas mileage than the Ford police cars. BTW, the dealer called me from an auction site yesterday - several LS's - could be had for about $12k!, but not the right color.

Another "BTW" - visited your web site, night_owl1 - very nice - when I get my LS, I will be returning to it a lot and also using some of the links.
    No, it's (Impala logo) definitely on the *front* end. I'll post photos when I get them - These are local ones I've seen. Then you'll know I'm not crazy. I'll be surprised if they are some add-on, as I've seen too many - but we'll see.
  • 96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    Hi, I am a Houston Police Officer. I have just been assigned a 2001 Impala "slick top" (no light bar on top) for traffic and D.W.I. enforcement. After about 1000 miles I have decided that I like the car. Quite stealthy hehe, and effective for our street racer problem here. Of, here's the problem: The police package includes disabling of the front radio speakers. The rears are just great but I don't care what my prisoners get to hear,haha. I want to enable my front speakers but have tried 2 local dealers and they just draw a blank. I have been told that there is a connector somewhere that needs to be disconnected for the front speakers to work but no one seems to know which one. I do know that the speakers are connected at the door and at the back of the radio.
    Ya'll seem to be quite knowledgable about these cars and I hope someone will have an answer.
    Thanks in advance
    96g11
  • 96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    Sorry, that was a 2002 Impala.
    96g11
    Gweilo: I am not sure exactly what he meant about replace or repair when describing THIS item. If they still have shim kits available I would assume they are still using them, especially on a car thats past warranty and the owner might have an option of paying what maybe $300 for the shims (installed) or $1000-$1500 for a new cradle, or whatever the cost is. I couldn't imagine the cost to GM to replace every one of these on cars that are still coming in, and some for the 2nd and 3rd time. I just don't know for sure.

John
    If you have some contact info for the rep, would you send it to me at Gweilo66@hotmail.com?
    We took both Impala's to the Service Dept this morning, we were going to wait to have my Steering Wheel Aligned, But they only have one front End guy and he was working on a Tahoe and it would have been a 2 hr wait,so we left the Base, The Service Director was going to drive it, But got in and turned the wheel to the left to try and hear the noise, It was a wet painted floor so it was rather slick, He pulled it outside on some concrete and just like clock work there it was, He didn't have to drive it, he believes it is the ISS, I am taking my LS back over around 4pm , He did say my LS will need a Full alignment to correct this off center Wheel,(FREE) since they did it when installing the ISS, So we left, I had 2 other Winter tires I wanted mounted on Black rims, so I had them all in the trunk and went across the street to a Tire Place, The guy there was really nice, they mounted the tires on the rims for me (I was going to put them on the car myself) He asked what they were for and I said This car, he was telling me that he and his wife recently purchased a 2001 LS with the 5 yrs 0.0% interest, and we talked a bit, he previously had a Impala SS and then a Lumina, now the LS, He said if I wanted to, I could load up the 4 tires on Black rims and bring all 4 of them over and he would do the switcharoo for FREE! What a Small world? Another Impala LS owner helping out another! I will post when I hear anything about my 2001. Don
    Good deal!.
  • regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    Morning all, do any of you guys/gals know the length of the wipers? I am buying some new ones today (Non freezing ones) anyone have any tips for removing the old blades and installing the new blades?

Thanks in advance.
    I have a set of the ANCO Winter Blades (The ones encased in rubber) they are 22" Long Blades and the stock number is 30-22. Start the car, stop the wipers mid-sweep in the middle of the windsheild by turning OFF the car. There is a small tab on the underside of the blades that you have to Depress to release the blade from the Arm, on the part of the Arm that is "J" Shaped at the end, just press the tab and slide the wiper blade away from the Hook in the arm. Slide the new one on until you hear it "CLICK" and move to the other one, Remove them in the reverse order.Just press that Tab and it will release them from the End of the Arm. You do not need any of the little bits added, if there are any in the package. Don
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have a 2000 Buick Regal. The same GM W-body, the same wipers.

I am using 22 inch "Perfect Fit" wipers made by Trico(?). The wipers are so similar to OEM ones, that I believe the same company makes them for GM.

With practice, it takes about 1 minutes to replace the both blades. Probably 5 minutes the first time. Not counting the time spent on finding the right aisle, the right product, waiting for cashier, etc.

To protect the windshield from accidental scratches, I put a sheet of paper towel under the wipers arms before removing old blades.

The blades are available at Pep Boys. Costs $7 per blade, i.e. about $15 for pair with sale tax.

For all-season blades, look for the dark-red (or reddish-brown?) packages. Pep Boys also sells winter blades made by the same company. They came in light-blue packages.

The blades of the same size have different mounting to the wiper arms, depending on manufacturer. There is a thick handbook at the blade aisle at Pep Boys, describing what blade is for what car: make, model and year. If I remember right, you will need the 220-1 blades (or 220-45 inserts); however, I am not sure about the numbers.

Pep Boys also sells Bosh blades. The Boshes have less convenient universal mounts. I believe, the blades themself also are inferior to Trico.