Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Because they have contracts and vested interests in Toyota and Suzuki way before they acquired Fuji Heavy Industries. The GM/Toyota California plant has been in operation since 1985 and the first car they made was the Chevrolet Nova, aka 1985 Toyota Corolla hatchback. Ditto with the Ingersoll, Ontario Suzuki/GM operation Remember the Chevrolet Sprint/Metro?.

Subaru is putting together the Opel Zafira AWD wagon for both domestic and export markets (Unfortunately we don't get it here).

GM also had a vested interest in Isuzu before. The late Chevy Spectrum (Aka Isuzu I-mark) and the Geo Storm (Isuzu Impulse) where the by products of that early relationship. GM indirectly gives Honda Isuzu SUVs (The Passport) and the old Acura SLX (Trooper).

GM just started assembling a special Chevy model for the Japanese market in Japan last month. First time an US automaker manufactures a new car in Japan, using Japanese labor and materials (See we are returning the favor).

It gets more complicated. GM-Shangai manufacturing operations, assembles and sells Buicks in China. The Regal/Century and the Venture (Buick Sintra) minivans have been well received in that country. A new Buick Regal is considered to be a luxury car and sells for more than $40K in China. The lates hit is the Buick Sail, which is the current model Opel Corsa small hatchback sold in Europe. We don't get the Corsa in North America either.

By the way, GM also owns Daewoo of South Korea.
    "My question is why the new design, unless there was a problem with the old one?"

Well, apparently the old design has the seat woobling/moving problem. The new design is non-adjustable and therefore it doesn't exhibit the seat track woobling issue. It appears to be that cars built with the adjustable seat track can be retrofitted to the new non-adjustable seat track.
  • That's right! I remember those Isuzu-built Geo's, now! I had forgotten. Real pieces of crap, BTW. My sister in law had an I-mark. Hyundais, Kias and Daewoos are better built! Isuzu got out of the car business, and stuck to their bread and butter, trucks, thankfully.

Daewoo was very recent. I didn't even know that it was completed. I thought it was still in the discussion stage.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    The Tire Pressure Monitor was a subject of discussion awhile back. Saturday I had the low tire pressure message come on. So immediatlely out the window went, "check tire pressure if car has sat longer than 3 hours or been driven less than 1 mile". Ever try to find an air hose at a truck stop? Ever forget to get to carry a tire gauge? Aired the left front to match the right front. (No tire pressure gauge on the air hose.) Then came to mind all the posts of re-setting the tire pressure monitor - opened the Owner's Manual, Section 6, page 43 or 44. Read about resetting through the radio, eyes glazed over quickly, then cuaght the preceding paragraph. Basically cycling the the light switch (with ignition ON) from OFF to PARK and back 3 times. Worked like a charm! Then once I got home, bought a digital tire pressure gauge and aired up the tires properly. Left front was 19psi all other tires were 29.5psi. Aired all tires up to 32psi - rides a ;ittle harder, but not unpleasant. Tire pressure IS NOT on the drivers door jamb, its on the inside of the trunk lid.
    ISS and CRADLE - Anybody know for sure what the taxi and police Impalas use? Did / do they have the same history steering problems as the civilian Impalas? While staticstically speaking the cradle problem is small - if you're one of the unlucky ones (compounded by an ignorant Service Department) that's little comfort.
    WARRANTIES - If you don't trust the car or have the finances, then an extended warranty is the way to go. When I bought my slightly used (18,000mi) Plymouth Grand Voyager, it paid for two of the infamous A605 Ultra Drive (to the tranny repair place) transmissions. Just make sure it's from somebody reputable. Many are nothing more than insurance policies that collect money for the company and cover nothing or involve more headaches than the paper they are printed on to collect on.
    Hmmmm maybe my next Impala will be an ex City or State cop car.
  • >>>Well, apparently the old design has the seat woobling/moving problem. <<<

Apparent to you and me...not to GM/Chevy, as far as they'll admit.
    Yep, GM took the dive and bought out Daewoo, albeit some manufacturing plants (Such as Pupyong where the Leganza sedan is made) were left out of the final sales package. Also the take over will affect some Daewoo plants in central Europe that are money pits that no one wants to bail out their ever mounting debts.

the only reason I see GM bought Daewoo was to gain an entrance in the hot Korean/Asian market. They have covered China and now Going for the rest of Asia so it seems. Daewoos are crappy cars in my opinion and most ride on very old GM/Opel platforms. For example, the Daewoo Lanos hatchback rides on the old Pontiac Lemans/Opel Kadett platform....scary!

I had a 1987 Isuzu I-mark 4 door in High school (Car was new then). It had zero power and the 1.5L Carburated four banger was rated at only 70HP. Couple that to a slow shifting 3-speed automatic and then you are in for quite possibly the slowest car ever made by Isuzu.
    I am not sure which Impala model you have, but on my LS (Firmer suspension, Stiffer touring tires)I keep the fronts at 34PSI (Cold) and the rears at 32PSI (Cold). The ride is only marginally harder but the handling does improve big time with the Goodyears (But no matter what the car still corners very flat).

I am waiting to wear down the Goodyear Eagle GA's to jump into a new set of Yokos as recommended by our resident Impala expert in performance add-on's Garypen! ;-)
  • That would be Nathan, not me. ;-) I just hated those Goodyears.
    FYI, the Yokos do seem to wear quickly, so don't expect long life. I can also vouch for their wet weather handling, as the rainy season has begun in San Jose. Very good.
    Garypen, does your CL come with Michelins?
  • Yeah. MXV4's, I believe.
    My '97 2.5TL had Bridgestone Potenzas and then I swtiched them to Falkens.

The '97 3.2TL had Michelins as OEM.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I agree with Garypen, the TSB does say "They all do that"

Almost fell off my seat when I read that.

There is a little play in the seat. If you position your left hand so your palm is on the edge of the seat and your fingertips touch the doorsill then rock back and forth in the seat, you can feel the seat move.

One of these days I'll look under the seat and see what's going on.
    Nathan...did the test and nope the seat doesn't move or rock.
  • Nathan's does it! Woo hoo. I'm not crazy! (as far as the seat goes, anyway.) Teo's, OTOH, doesn't. Apparently they did apply a fix by changing the seat track design mid year. I'll be using that TSB in my case.

Nathan - Try doing that test with the seat in various positions. You may find that it is worse in some postions than others. Personally, I hate it.
    "Nathan - Try doing that test with the seat in various positions. You may find that it is worse in some postions than others. Personally, I hate it."

Fully raised or lowered or tilted front to back or back to front?

I agree, having a woobling seat is not only annoying and uncomfortable but dangerous as well.
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    "While staticstically speaking the cradle problem is small"

What statistics are you referrring to?
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Why do you not suggest to your Service Manager to call the Service Place in Detroit,re: a Noisy '01 cradle.. maybe they will give him the same info they gave my Service Director,(I was right beside him when he called form his desk) I don't want to get into "My Service Director is More honest than yours" or "My Dad is stronger than your dad" any of that manby-pamby crap. Just see if they tell him anything new, Maybe since he has not talked to them in a short while concerning Cradles or had one recently he might not be aware of what they are saying now,as in TODAY or this Week...... You know how things can change day to day. Tighten it,Replace it,Shim it, Tell them to Wait until March '02..Etc....

By the way, I checked my Micron Air Filter on my LS under the psgr wiper...and boy was it dirty,,1st time since new in 12/99... If you have a LS, I reccomend taking it out once in a while and brushing/blowing it off... Don
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Can any one reccomend a good polish or protector for the LS wheels throught the winter. They pour the salt on roads like its free up here in Southern Ontario.

Has anyone had any problems with exterior rust at all on their car. I haven't heard of any problems but just something I want to watch for if a few posts indicate paint blistering or slight rust in a particular area. So far everyone seems to be happy with the paint on their Impalas.

THATS GOOD NEWS !!!
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I have a set of the Black Steel Rims and 4 of the 9C1 Police Center Caps and 4 winter tires, my 5 spokes sat out last winter and will this winter as well. If not that, I would just use a good polish, about the best you can do,

On my 2000 LS the only sign of not really Rust but a little oxidation is under the front lip of the Hood next to the Latch opening, to the left, there is a Round Dime Sized hole Factory drilled there for???, But it seems to go thru 2 layers of steel and that is the only rust colored spot I have. I am going to treat it to get the oxidation off before it really rusts.. Can't miss the hole, it is to the left of the hood latch along with some other oblong holes, this is the only one doing this..Don
  • konokono Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying, fellas. Teo, I think the build date is late 2000. last 6 VIN digits: 172769. So, If my car's equipped with the adjustable version of the track, can't it be adjusted to "wobble" less? On the other hand, if I do have the non-adjustable improved track, then what was the improvement? It sort of annoys me when something like this happens, but it really ticks me off when the dealer plays stupid.
  • I don't think they're playing. They're actually stupid. You don't live in San Jose, do you?

You're car is definitely before the seat track design change.

Someone here once had his seat fixed. I forget the part numbers off hand. But, they replaced the seat "adjusters", which I believe are the little motors that raise and lower the seat vertically.

I even gave my dealer's service manager the part numbers, and described how it fixed my "aquaintance's" seat. They still refuse to do the repair, because "They're all like that."
  • jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    A few nights ago my wife was driving home from work in a pretty heavy fog and ran over a dead deer in the middle of the road. It was impossible to avoid it and there was no time to stop. Of course she was very concerned that there was damage to her "pride and joy" so I got a flashlight and tried to check it out. Although there was hair and blood on the undercarriage all the was back to the rear wheels, it did not look like there was any damage and it drove fine.

What are the chances that a deer could be mashed under a moving Impala without breaking or bending something? This week I am taking it in for a tire rotation and oil change, so I'll ask the mechanics to look at it. At least the deer was not alive and on its feet when hit!
    Kono, after they properly install the revised seat tracks in your car, the seat movement and woobling should stop. Again, I haven't had a problem with my seat moving during braking or acceleration as it appears to be that I have the non-adjustable improved version of the seat tracks from factory. My VIN sequence number is 317,xxx and he build date is 4/01. Typically, December is mid-year production for the Impala.

Garypen::: have you tried a different dealer? It seems that you have to deal with some air heads at your dealership.
  • I may choose another dealer that is closer to work. However, they sounded extremely busy and not too friendly over the phone.
    The one I've been using doesn't sound much different than most of the others I've heard descritions of. Yours seems to be one of the exceptions.
    FYI, I'm having the antenna/defroster module replaced tomorrow. I, too, got the lost radio reception and poor defroster performance, with the defroster actually interfering with AM reception.
    You know, I seem to remember that replacing the rear glass fixed that for a couple of posters here. I'm sure I'll have to go back to get that done, as well. It's OK, though. I'm keeping a spreadsheet. :-)
    Hey Gary, you want my car? No seat track moving, no defroster/radio reception problems, no clicks or clunks, no hesitations, no nothing...

Interested? :)

I don't take trade-ins..well except Corvettes, etc
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Last summer there was a discusssion about how thin the paint was on the impala. Mine has various places on the doorjambs and other nooks and crannies were the grey primer is visible.
  • No trades? Dang. I've got a nice Silver LS with the special "adaptable" seat. It adapts to every stop and start.
    Actually, I've been fortunate with the clicks and clunks. No cradle or ISS problems. The minimal hesitation stopped after an ECM reprogramming.
    The defroster/antenna problem only just started, and seems to be a recurrent GM-wide problem with those rear windows and modules that handle both circuits. I've also begun recently experiencing the intermittant auto-locks.
    I doubt anything can be done about the snapping dash. I won't have to worry about that until it gets hot again, anyway.
    My main problem has been that dang driver's seat.
    My sister has a Navy blue one and the paint appears to be nicely and evenly applied under the hood, trunk, door jambs, etc. I was hoping to see patches of premier but no, looks real good. My Sandrift is also nicely finished.

B4z:: Could it be that your car was painted (but not made) on a Monday?..LOL
    The snapping dash can be solved by taking out that plastic trim piece that runs the length of the windshield cowl (Dash top) and put gobs of grease on the plastic fasteners and of course make sure the holding screws are tight as they should be. The snapping sound is caused when these fasterners expand and contract under high interior temperatures. Cheap plastic fasteners, there is no other explanation.
    ....are you saying the robots were hungover?
  • It happens all the time. Don't you watch Futurama?
    I haven't seen this thread this busy since mcgill and sweetpolly were regulars. Over a year ago i guess.
    I guess there was some job dissatisfaction that day.
    The Robots did not like the version of the software they were given...they wanted something with more "Byte"..
    It is hard to beleive that i have owned this car for 6 months. I guess time flies because i haven't had any unscheduled service visits....yet(LOL). 3 oil changes and one tire rotation so far.
    Gas mileage has improved slightly.
    I have about 10,400 miles on it.
    My best new car ever.
    I have had my car for 7 months, 9 days and 2 hours..LOL.

At close to 7.5K miles I have only had 2 Oil changes and a tire rotation.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    As has been stated in many posts here; we are only a small portion of FWD Impala owners and are quite passionate about them. Out of all the posts, the dreaded "Clunk, thunk" Cradle / ISS is the biggest worry. Until a week ago, us build date 01/01 and later owners were quite secure and smug that it couldn't happen to us. If you have the problem, your baby is wounded, and it ain't pretty. Howver, this forum is nowhere close statistically, to be representive of Impala trends. Maybe we get inklings or see the begining of trends because we are more curious and vocal. Only Chevy and GM know for sure and even that can tilted one way or another based on what data they are responding to.
    Personally, my LS has 8,700+ miles and is as solid as the day we picked it up. The dealer let us go home with the "wrong" car. We test drove a 04/01 with a 100 miles, signed the final lease papers that Monday for the present 5 mile 01/01. They had the same color and options.
    At the end of the lease I'll have a hard descision to make - lease a new one, keep the old one, etc. Hopefully by then we'll find out if it is design, manufacturing, quality control, or environment.
  • kcidcamperskcidcampers Member Posts: 6
    Here's a little bit of information for everybody that I just received. I was in Bob Taylor Chevrolet, Naples, Fl. talking to the service manager and during the conversation he made the statement that he has replaced a lot of Impala front end disc brake rotors according to Chevrolets TSB (I never did get a quote as to what the TSB number was) but I informed him that on my 2000 Impala, manufactured in July 1999 and bought in September 1999, with 26,000 miles by now, by applying the brakes I felt like the brake pedal was going up and down plus you could feel the car going slow and fast, slow and fast, moving irratic on a slow down. He then said you have the front disc brake rotor problem that I was telling you I had been replacing right and left. So in the garage I went and that has actually corrected that particular problem that I was having. Very smooth slow down now. The only thing to be aware of, I have the 6/60,000 warranty which does not cover this item but if you have this problem you have to have it corrected before the 3/36,000 exipres. The only other problem I have is it sounds like my wheels or tires are running egg shaped or a bad bearing and the dealer said it's not the bearing it's my tires. These tires are very noisey. I guess I'm going to buy 4 new Michelin tires. If anybody out there has bought new Michelin tires let me know what the number is so I can purchase 4 new tires.

K-cid
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I've had excellent luck with Michelins for years. My first ones, XH4's were an 80,000 mile tire that ran 105,000 before selling the car. Roundest tires I've ever had, and still had 2/3 of the tread left. Compared to the cheap tires I had before them, they performed excellently. Quiet, excellent traction, and great treadwear.

My latest set is X-one's which again are a great tire. 80,000 mile rated and like new with 25,000 on them. I'm waiting impatiently for my stock Goodyear's on my Impala to wear out so I can get some X-ones for it. Best price I've seen for X-one's in the Impala size (235/65/16) is $97 each at Discount Tire. Incidentally, Discount is trying to tell me Michelin discontinued the X-one and is selling its replacement which costs more like $120 each. I don't know if the X-one's are still available but if they are, that's what I'll get.
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    On the topic of tires, if anybody is shopping for winter tires, then might I suggest the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice? I just had them put on the car this weekend, and while it hasn't snowed here yet, I don't want to be stuck in a lineup all day to have the tires put on. The snow tires are mounted on the factory steel rims, and I'll be saving up money over the winter to buy nice alloy rims for the summer tires. Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice so far. At highway speeds on dry pavement, there is very little tire noise! And they handle well. Once the first snow hits, I'll be sure to let you all know how they work out!

BTW, Goodyear tire stores in Canada are having a rebate program on right now; we got $80 off a set of four.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Just got back from the gas station. .99 cents for regular unleaded!! Whoo Whoo! Topped off for $14 bucks! 5 months ago, I paid $30 for 15 gallons!

By the way, I can never get 300 miles before the "low fuel" light comes on. I normally get 270 miles by the time the "low fuel" light comes on. That means I"m averaging less than 20 mpg! Uggh.
    235/65/16 is not the correct size tire for the impala. Did you mean 225/60/16?
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    I remember in 1980 I took a job with a daily 80 mile round trip commute and gasoline cost $1.20 a gallon for regular. That's 400 miles a week. Even though the pay was good for the time - it was going to be an expensive commute. I opted to car pool.

Here it is 21 years later and you're paying just $.99/gallon. That's great.
    In 1999, I paid $2.65 a gallon in Big Sur, CA.
    As it stands, we are at the mercy and whim of OPEC and the price can fluctuate broadly.

The 3.8 liter 200 hp Impala gets great mileage on the road -
    I've done as much as 32 MPG and gone almost 500 miles on a tankful !

However, in stop-and-go local driving, the car is a guzzler.

DIC usually indicates low fuel with about 3 gallons remaining.

If the USA would stop selling so much of our currently tapped Alaskan oil (NOT the controversial ANWR) to other countries, we would be that much less dependent on foreign oil.

Ethanol (made from corn) is another viable option that has not been fully exploited.
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    I heard the other day there was a price war in Dayton, Oh. on the big name purchasers of gas. Krogers was supposedly selling regular for $.10 (yes ten) cents per gallon. Can you believe it??
    LRCobra
    Gas here in S.Florida is also coming down on price considerably. Regular is selling in some stations at .99 per gallon and in others at 1.09 per gallon. 89 Octane is selling at $1.20 per gallon and Premiun at $1.28.
  • hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    Teo -
    Wow! I tried to supply some information that was asked for and I get a tirade from you demanding "clear cut evidence", specific statements and "answers" ! (post #6679). My post (#6676) was not directed at you nor submitted for your approval. It was posted in answer to a request for individual ownership experiences to help potential new owners make informed evaluations. Nevertheless, I will attempt to respond to a few of your questions and assumptions as I pick my way through the straw men you have knocked down.

"Ok, this is fine and dandy but I have a problem with some of these "general" statements. If your SD has been in contact with GM Tech assistance, then those guys up in Detroit must have a technical explanation to their claims that the clicks will come back. How they will come back? By magic? By coincedence? By supporting bracket stress/failure? Those are the kind of answers that most of us are looking for..."

First of all, posts on this board, don't have to supply the answers you are looking for - even if, as you imply, you represent "most of us".

Secondly, it was the service manager that said the clicks will come back and that some 2001's have the problem. There was nothing general about it. He was being candid, projecting the experience the dealership already had and continued to have, confirmed with his GM contacts. 2001 replacement cradles as well as some 2001 Impalas had developed the click problem No "crystal balls" involved. He didn't say , as you suggest, that ALL replacement cradles were coming back. Nor did he say ONE 2001 Impala had the problem.

It isn't necessary to have technical explanations for projections based on on-going empirical evidence - even if that technical knowledge exists, And I have some doubts that it does. Further, to belabor this just a bit more, my post points out the service manager's statement that "GM has not yet solved the problem and is authorizing no fixes for now" . I doubt if GM is working on and not authorizing a fix for a non-existing problem.

Without going into the voluminous technical questions and speculations you have presented, let me just say that from my experiences with the dealership and information on this board, it clearly appears that the cradle problem still exists. Exactly why and to what extent are, for now, open questions.

Because of your experience with the 2000, I can understand your wanting the 2001 to be perfect and your resistance to anything said negative about the car. But not having documentation and verifiable evidence at your disposal does not negate the fact that at least two dealerships are continuing to have the cradle problem - unless, of course, you don't believe the dealerships or the posters. Dismissing an on-going problem as pure speculation does not make it so.

My post was to supply information, not to solve the cradle problem. I am sorry if bringing up the topic "spoils the experience", as you have suggested on some posts.

Hank -
    Chill!!! No need for the rant either. I think we have run into a mutual misunderstanding. Your point of view is understood and appreciated.

Peace.
    Deer Jon, (sorry, couldn't resist)

Depending on how high the deer was, the Impala could have passed over it. If she hit it with the tires, you may have some steering damage. Maybe your alignment is screwy or you might have a bent tie rod, the mechanic will be able to tell you. Is the front air dam still intact? I would imagine that would be the first to go. I believe the engine cradle is the lowest point of the car and it's beveled so if you ran over something as "soft" as a deer, the cradle would smash it down and allow the rest of the car to pass over it. Hey, a positive point for the cradle. =)
    Ok, you guys are making me sick. Here in Hawaii the gas prices have "dropped" to $1.61/gallon for regular.
    Let's have an engine cradle and ISS Xmas party!