Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Oh Nathan! So the higher gas prices in Aloha land are due to the addition of Macadamias to up the octane rating?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    We had over 60 posts yesterday, buy the town hall top 10 is unchanged from the day before, with 28 posts.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    We only have two refineries in Hawaii so all the companies have to buy gas from them. Actually, there is a lawsuit going on brought against the refineries by the state alleging price fixing. According to some reports, Chevron (one of the refineries) sells 5% of their gas supply to Hawaii but makes 20% of their overall profit here.

And it's not mac nuts. You add moth balls to up the octane.
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Haven't lurked in a while and now there is no way to even attempt to catch up.

Sorry to see the problems are still occurring, but I thought I would add some info. My 2000 LS had many of the common problems and a few unique ones, like not starting intermittently due to some fuel regulator.

Anyway, I had the ISS changed, the steering rack changed and a new and improved reinforced (2001 I was told) cradle installed. Upon return, it was only marginally better and proceeded to be just a terrible after a few thousand miles. The car was repurchased by Chevy and I moved on. It was a hassle, definitely not an easy process, but worth it. Can't tell you how happy I was when my wife picked me up and all I had left of the Impala was license plates and a check. I miss the car, but not the problems, trips to the dealer, loaner cars, etc.

My point is, I believe there still is a problem that had yet to be remedied. So far, one was traded due to frustrations, one repurchased and two still unrepaired....
  • kpc4msukpc4msu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with 30,000 miles. I have developed a whine during acceleration.
    It seems to accur when I accelerate above 3k RPM's. I was wondering if any of you have developed this since the Impala has the same drivetrain.
    Just too add my two cents about ISS/Cradle.
    Ive had two cradles replaced (both being the redesigned 2001 version) and the ISS replaced.
    After each fix the problem reaccured after a few thousand miles. The front end clinking/clunking
    still occurs on my car but it is less severe than before. I imagine that I might not even notice it
    if I was not listening for it. I like the Overall car but I am getting tired of noises.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Currently, with my 2000 Impala at 11K miles, I have no ISS or cradle issue. Fortunately, the cradle issue is not a safety issue. It's more of a noise nuissance. I wouldn't worry too much if I ever incur the cradle problem.

Speaking of noises, I much rather have the cradle problem with the "clunk" noise, then sitting in a car full of squeeks and rattles from the dashboard. My Impala does not have this problem (thank god). Unfortunately for my previous co-worker who owns an M3, and my friend who owns a 540, and the Accounting lady who owns an M5, they all exhibited these spueeks and rattles from the interior. That drove me NUTS! Quite pathetic for a "luxury sedan".

As of today, I love my Impala very much. I can't say the same when I had my previous Accord. Only problem I have on the Impala is engine hestitation when going 5-10 mph (very rare occasions). Anyhow, good to hear that this is a software fix for the PCM.

I'm enjoying my Impala so much that I'm averaging less than 20 mpg. LOL That means I'm taking full advantage of the Impala's quick acceleration by speeding 0-60 at the light. :) zoom zoom
  • No no. "Zoom zoom" is Mazda. You mean "Like a rock". ;-)

(Or is it "Keep America Rolling"?)
  • konokono Member Posts: 3
    Garypen: No, I'm from NYC. Teo:Thanks for the info.

I'm bringing the car in sometime this week for the service mgr to take a look. I know I will get some negative attitude. That's when I'll send a note directly to Chevy.

All I know is that when I got the car, the seat didn't have any play in it and I "baby" my cars.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Check out this website about what the Police Package entails. Page 4 mentions a "reinforced cradle". What's the difference between stock and Police?

http://www.policevehicle.com/2001impala.pdf

• I was only joking about you being from San Jose. Your dealer's service dept. sounds like mine! ;-)

I'm from NYC, too. Small world. What are the chances of two people from the same small northeastern town meeting on the internet? Amazing.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Before we point to this brochure and say that this is evidence the police Impala has an upgraded engine cradle, I would like to point out that it does not say that. This could be the same cradle that is on the stock Impala. I have the GM Fleet brochure for the Police Impala and it states "Heavy-duty extruded aluminum engine cradle." One website says "Heavy-duty engine cradle with high strength side rails" while another site just says "Aluminum engine cradle." I see this as a marketing ploy. Different ways to describe something to make it sound better.

I have seen photos of the cradle from a '01 police cruser and from what I can tell, it looks like the consumer '01 cradle. I don't know what the '00 police cradle looked like, so I can't say that the '00 consumer one was the same as the '00 police fleet vehicle.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Perhaps someone should send an e-mail to FrankHartley@PoliceVehicle.com to confirm the "re-enforced cradle".
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    You are correct. 225/60/16 is the right size. I was gonna check...
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just wanted to invite you guys to join the Tri-state group of Subarus from http://i-club.com to join us for a Drive-a-thon. We are driving 48hrs, 1200miles from NYC->Newark, DE->Philadelphia->Pittsburg->Buffalo->Rochester->Albany->Nyack, NY on a weekend in January to raise money for the WTC relief fund. Details are at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/48hrsoftristate/index.html or e-mail me 48hrs@iace.com for details.

-mike

• hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    I recently had the latest PCM software update installed. My long on-going chuggle (hesitation) problem immediately disappeared - which was the purpose of the installation. Happily, I discovered another nice result: At idle, my tachometer needle always vibrated slightly up and down - about 3 - 4 times a second. The movement was small, roughly 1/4 of an increment off its 600 rpm idle position (roughly 25 rpms?). Now, the engine has smoothed out to where that movement is almost indiscernible. The best part is that my city mileage has gone up approximately from 14+ mpg to 19+mpg.

It would be interesting to know if any of the others who have had the chuggle problem cured through software updates have had similar mileage increasess.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I would have posted this message over in the Lumina forum, but I might not get a reply for several days. This forum seems to be much more active, so here goes. My '98 LTZ (3800 engine) has about 47K miles. I have read where it's not a bad idea to change the plugs at 50K miles, even though Chevy recommends changing at 100K miles. Has anyone else heard this? I don't see what harm it could do replacing them a little earlier than the recommended time. I too hear an occasional whinning while accelerating. Is this a sign of a potential tranny problem? Thanks.
  • I also got a small increase in mileage after the update. I notice much smoother shifting now, as well.

However, my idle is still uneven. It sometimes fluctuates 100-250 RPMs when sitting at idle. It also sometimes idles roughly, causing vibration or shaking. It was worse before the update, but it still does it.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    If you don't experience misfiring ,rough idling,and poor fuel economy,do not change the plug,waiste of time and money.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I'm the one who had his adjusters on the seat changed, Sweetpolly had her rails replaced which is what I thought I would get. I will have the non adjustable rails replaced because my wobble has returned. I also have noticed that I can feel wires inside both the seat and seatback at times, am beginning to wonder if there are some wires broken in both areas. I'm a bit overweight but not that much!

The seat adjusters which were called "Vertical adjusters" were part number 16607860 &16807200 but I'm telling you now, it doesn't work, at least not for the long haul.
    So my seat tracks must be a different part number. Zero problems and no wobbling.
  • We get it already. Your car is perfect. ;-)
  • Thanks! Do you mind if I email you? I'd like more detail on your seat problem history, if that's OK.
  • gusman2gusman2 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone having any "pinging" noises comming from their engines?

I have what sounds like a ping when the engine is cold and under light accelleration. It seems to go away for the most part after 10 minutes or so of driving.

Changing fuels has no effect on the noise.

Comments?
    Thanks!
    -Gus
    Gary, we all know your car is not that perfect either. ;)
  • I'll bet this noise started after the weather cooled off.
    It sounds like possible valve noise. Check your oil level. It's also possible that you're using the wrong viscosity (too thick). If that's the case, it takes until the engine warms up for the oil to properly coat.
    If both of those are OK, you may want to bring it in for an oil pressure test. Of course, they'll most likely say "They all do that" or "That's normal".
    But, on the bright side, you'll have the fun of being late for work after you drop the car off, having your wife or friend drive you to work and back to the dealer later, and telling your boss you have to leave early after arriving late.
  • You must be kidding! My car is like a rock!!!!
    (Yeah. One of those styrofoam rocks they use in the movies. It looks real solid on the outside.)
    Any luck selling it?
  • Oh yeah. That's why I'm still here!
    Oh, I get it. You'll miss us as much as you will miss the car and your fantastic dealership.
  • More so! (Seriously)
    I don't think any other make/model topic has the same level of quality/quantity as this one.
    I will miss the car, somewhat. :-(
    I won't miss the service at all. :-)
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    All along I thought they were Plastic...They are Diecast Metal. All Chrome plated, although they have silver paint over the flat surface, I now have to get a set of the Chrome 9C1 Lugnuts to hold them on that way, or Tap 3 holes in my rims for Screws..I'll go with the Chrome Lugnuts instead, My lugnuts are too narrow at the top and too small to hold them on the rim.. These are cool though! Don
    Can you post the size of the Lugnuts. Meaning the number and the thread size? I am sure it is common among some GM makes/ W bodied cars but just want to know the number/size involved. Thanks in advance Don
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    You have my permission to email me, not sure why you'd need permission, I get so much junk email everyday that I might delete yours without knowing and then you'd think I was ignoring you and your problems. Please know that you and your seat back/rail will have top priority with me and will not be deleted, at least not immediately...
  • I try to be considerate. ;-) Thanks!
    How do you get the update? Do you have to have a specific complaint or can you just ask for it? I have a minor hesitation cold, barely noticeable and very short-lived. Not sure if it's engine or transmission. If I can get an update easily, why not?

I thought I heard folks could get updates through Onstar. Anyone else heard that?
    I looked in my manual and did not find a spec on the wheel nut size. It says to use genuine GM replacement parts for the wheel nuts and studs. It indicates, however, that the stud and nuts are metric sized and specified by, for example, M12X1.5 where M means metric, 12 means diameter of stud in millimeters, and 1.5 means width in millimeters of one thread. M12X1.5 is actually probably right for the car, but it doesn't say for sure...only uses this as an example. It'd be a good place to start.
  • kcidcamperskcidcampers Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the Michelin tire reply. My GA tires started making noise and I noticed a certain amount of air is coming in my rear door, which is normal I guess. And between the tire noise and the air noise it's hard to hear and talk. That radio senses the noise and plays louder, so you can't talk with it on either. I just need a quieter tire. I either have a bad tire or a bearing going out somewhere. Gives me an egg shaped roll sound. Going to the garage, I'll check this out later. Guess my next tires will be Michelins.

K-cid
    I looked in my manual and did not find a spec on the wheel nut size. It says to use genuine GM replacement parts for the wheel nuts and studs. It indicates, however, that the stud and nuts are metric sized and specified by, for example, M12X1.5 where M means metric, 12 means diameter of stud in millimeters, and 1.5 means width in millimeters of one thread. M12X1.5 is actually probably right for the car, but it doesn't say for sure...only uses this as an example. It'd be a good place to start.
  • Air shouldn't be coming in the rear door. That's not normal.
    As for tires, I replaced the Goodyears after 3K miles. I couldn't take the road noise or how easily they squealed on turns. I replaced 'em with Yokohama AVS dB's. Ultra quiet AND high performance. They don't have a very long treadlife, though.
    I also have Michelins on my other car. They aren't nearly as quite. And, as a rule, Michelins are way more expensive than Yokos. But, Michelin has those really cute commercials with the baby. I like them. ;-)
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    After checking what garypen suggests, You may want to check with a dealer who has a good engine electronics man. May be a sensor like a coolant sensor. The ignition timing changes when it is cool, and as it is warming up. If the timing is too far advanced, it will ping. Several sensors work through the engine control module to control timing, fuel/air mix ect. I don't know if the condition you describe would set a code so the tech. can pick off the code and determine a fix. If it under 3 yrs. and 36000 miles it would be a warranty repair. Enjoy the ride.
    That is all I needed, I knew the size long ago when I had a Grand Prix, but forgot until you mentioned it, 12x1.5 is all I need, I actually need the Chrome 9C1 Lugnuts since they are this size, but have an oversized lip mid way up to hold the center cap on and they are Chrome, I priced them from Hutton and they are $4.19+ a piece! I priced them from gmpartsdirect and they are just over $2 a piece, come in bags of 5, so $10 for 5 of them,,,, I need 20!! I e-mailed a place some info that in turn e-mails a bunch of Salvage yards, So maybe I can find a set of 20 for less than new. Thanks Don
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I took my car into a local tire shop to get my sisters flat tire fixed. I pulled into the garage and the guy asked if that was my car. I said "Yes" not sure what was coming next. He says "You could cause alot of trouble with that thing out on the highway". I thought he was putting my car down at first :) He told me this morning the local police department brought their new Impala unmarked cruiser in for new tires. It looked exactly like mine. Spoiler and everything. He continued to comment on how good the 3.8 engine was. Made me feel good when I left. Now I just gotta find that cruiser and get some pictures.
  • hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    I would think that as long as the car is under warranty you would get the PCM update just by asking for it. If you also mention the hesitation problem you are having, that should certainly do it. That was the basis for mine being installed.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Try the Firestone Firehawk SH-30. This is an excellent all-season performance tire that is much quieter than the GAs and have awesome wet weather capabilities. Also they have a 460 treadlife rating!!! They make a world of difference on my Monte.
    No doubt they are good tires, but I tend to distrust any tire with the Firestone name in the thread...
  • The treadlife "rating" is almost irrelevant for comparison purposes, unless you are comparing it to another Firestone. For some boneheaded reason, there is no national or industry standard for the treadwear rating.
    A 460 rating on your tire only means it has a longer life than another Firestone with a lesser rating. For instance, a Yokohama or Bridgestone with a rating of 340 may very well have longer treadlife than those Firestones. Conversely, those same brands with a rating of 600, may actually have a shorter treadlife than yours. OTOH, those 600 rated tires would last almost twice as long as those 340 rated tires of the same brand, though.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    What is the most mileage anyone has put on their factory installed Eagle GAs?

I'm having Michelin X-ONEs put on my wife's Camry today and the specs on them look great.
    Tread rating is 700 and these are suposedly 80,000 mile tires.

Anyone else have Michelin X-ONEs on their IMPALA or any make car?
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    I have 49,000 miles and about to change out the tires in about a grand...........doe sthe cradle clicks only happen when your car is warm or as soon as you start up and rotate wheel? Anyone? i'm taking in my car without warranty to have some clicks checked out......tomorrow
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Picked up the CAMRY with the new X-ONE tires. Car feels like a bigger, heavier car with the new rubber. Roads are wet here today and tires provided excellent traction even accelerating over white crossing lines at intersections which sometimes cause slippage. Tires were quiet - even on wet road surfaces up to 50 mph. Couldn't go any faster in the area.

X-ONES are 3 ply tread in TOYOTA size. They jump to 4 ply on IMPALA size.
    Set of 4 X-ONEs for an IMPALA would be about $580. They were $446 for the Camry.

------------
    Cabello- Are your Eagle GAs showing wear or are you just looking for a better or quieter ride?