Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks oldstyle. My local dealer just got back to me with 173 under invoice (he says that is the s-price) plus $69 admin fee (also in that is the cost to get it from another dealer). So, 22,909 for an LX with roof, step gaurd, air and luxury. That sounds good enough for me. I just faxed him the credit app.

Was hoping for a better rate on 3 years, but I guess we will just take the two years and get it paid off quicker.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!! I should be joining the club shortly!

FYI - my dealer said that each dealership can add up to 4% to the s-price for fees if they want to. That is why the difference in prices.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Your dealer is not telling the truth. There is a S-plan price on each Mazda's vehicle, and the price is located at the bottom of the invoice. You can have the dealer show you the invocie and you'll see the S-Plan price. Every Mazda dealer will have the same S-plan price on the exact same vehicle. And the dealer cannot charge you any doc. fee either.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    The S-plan pricing advantage detiriorates from close to 1% under invoice to almost nothing under invoice as you add options. The ES with 4-Seasons package, 6-disc changer, fog lights, roof rack and one or two other small things that I don't remember is $26,862 invoice. The S-plan was only $62 less. The good thing is that Ford does not allow dealers to charge "document fees" on S-plan transactions. That's another $150-$200 off around here (Northern Virginia).
    Is there a number I can call to verify that he cannot charge a doc fee? I hate to bring it up and only have "what I heard on the internet" as my back-up.

Again, thanks for all the good info.
    husker92,

You can call 1-877-XPLAN-00; they may ask for your employer's Partner Code before they answer any questions. Here's a quote from the FAQ on the www.fordpartner.com web site (again, you need the Partner Code to access it):

"Can I be charged a "document fee" by my dealer?
    No. Fees for documentation or similar administration services are not allowed."

Hope this helps.
    Dulnev, thanks for the web-site. It was very helpful!! My company is just getting signed up, so they did not have much info.

If it plainly states that they have to give the s-price with nothing added, how can they all quote higher prices. Won't they get in trouble with Ford? I think my dealer is charging me a$69 fee to drive 30 miles to the other dealer and pick it up.

I am not sure if I am going to fight him on it or not. Not sure it is worth the hassle for $69. I will be servicing the MPV at his dealership and would like to retain the preferential treatment.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I can't believe they're trying to charge you for sourcing the van actually. I'm skeptical of this dealership, myself.

/j
    Dulnev, thanks for the web-site. It was very helpful!! My company is just getting signed up, so they did not have much info.

If it plainly states that they have to give the s-price with nothing added, how can they all quote higher prices. Won't they get in trouble with Ford? I think my dealer is charging me a$69 fee to drive 30 miles to the other dealer and pick it up.

I am not sure if I am going to fight him on it or not. Not sure it is worth the hassle for $69. I will be servicing the MPV at his dealership and would like to retain the preferential treatment.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!
    Just got off the phone with 1-877-XPLAN-00. The rep. there said that you can get different quotes over the phone and the only way to do the s-pricing accurately is physically go in and request to see the invoice (as long as you have a PIN number).

She also stated that the only extra fee they can charge is if they had to get it from another dealer, sometimes up to $600. I told her my dest. fee was $69 and she said that was very cheap.

Given the fact this was a Ford rep. that has experience with the X-, S-pricing, I trust the info. I should be joining the MPV club tomorrow.

Thanks again!!!
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Partner Recognition pricing is a pre-determined price based on one of two "calculations."

X-Plan : Ford, Lincoln & Mercury: Ford Employee (A-Plan) price plus 4%
    See Ford Direct for Ford pricing.
    Volvo: Ford Employee (A-Plan) price plus 2%
    Land Rover: Invoice price plus 4%

S-Plan : Mazda vehicles: Pricing is just below the "dealer invoice" price.
    The S-Plan price is noted on the dealer's copy of the invoice.
    Jaguar Preferred: Cash Allowances are available for all 2002 models.

Who is eligible?
    Active employees (salaried, hourly and contract), retirees, members and their spouses who reside within the U.S. You will be required to show proof of employment or membership by an organization or company eligible for Partner Recognition benefits at the time you take delivery of your vehicle.

How do I participate?

Step 1: Generate your PIN on this website.
    Step 2: Visit your local dealer with your PIN and immediately identify yourself as a Partner Recognition participant.
    Step 3: Provide proof of employment or membership by an eligible Ford Partner through a pay stub, company I.D., business card, W-2, membership letter, membership card, etc.
    Step 4: Select your new vehicle.
    Step 5: Request vehicle invoice from sales representative to confirm plan price.
    Step 6: Discuss financing options.
    Step 7: Drive home in your new set of wheels.

What is Partner Recognition Pricing and how do I know if I'm getting a good deal?
    S-Plan: Mazda: Pricing is just below the "dealer invoice" price. The S-Plan price is noted on the dealer's copy of the invoice.

Your participating dealer will assist you in determining the appropriate price for the vehicle you choose. You can then compare your cost to the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price to calculate your total discount.

Can I receive the special Partner Recognition Price at any dealer?
    This program is available through all participating dealers in the U.S. Dealer participation is voluntary. You should inform the dealer of your (S-Plan) Preferred eligibility during your first contact with your dealer. If for some reason your dealer elects not to participate, you may visit another dealer.

Are any other items covered through the S-Plan?
    No, dealer installed options, conversion packages, extended warranties, accessories, etc. are not covered by this program and must be agreed upon between you and the dealer.

Am I eligible for other incentives?
    Yes, for most. Partner recognition participants are eligible for all public incentives and many incentives normally paid to the dealer. There are some special offers that are not compatible with this offer. Your dealer can best determine which incentives you are eligible for.

Can I purchase or lease my vehicle?
    Yes, the only requirement with leasing is that the lease must be obtained through the respective brand's credit source.

Can I be charged a "document fee" by my dealer?
    No. Fees for documentation or similar administration services are not allowed.

Can I trade-in a vehicle in combination with this program?
    Yes.
  • tayalynn1tayalynn1 Member Posts: 5
    I have been driving my new Mazda van since 3/25. I gotta tell you I love it! My neighbors love it, my kids love it, yadda, yadda, yadda! I have had the huge moonroof open with my CD's going and I don't even know I'm in a mini-van. I love the nimble ride and well, basically everything about the van. I drove a 2000 Odyssey that I hated and I sure made the right choice on the 2002 MPV. Regarding the first 1,000 mile oil change, my dealer recommended it and even gave me a certificate for a free oil change for that first one. I do have to admit, I had to make the dealer sell me a vehicle. They didn't seem to care one way or another if I bought it or not. I did get it for 3% over invoice however so I can't complain. I even called a couple of other dealers within 100 miles and they could not touch the deal I got.
    Did you used to own a 2000 Ody?

/java
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    I justr read the consumer review magazine on 02 MPV. Thye liked everything but the engine noise.....

I am in sort of the same position. I like everything in my 02 MPV ES, but a 28k car growling ! I am just not happy with the engine noise in 02. that's my whole purpose of trading-in my 00.

no matter what all we critcize Ody on ohter things, it has the smoothest engine.........

your all thoughts ?
    I'm pretty sure I know which "consumer review" magazine you're talking about: Consumer Digest Car Buying Guide, right? I'm afraid these morons did not test the 2002 MPV, only the 2001 model which was indeed very noisy. The 2002 model is not noisy by any measure. No car magazine has noted that it's noisy. I've driven it on a highway and local streets for about 20 minutes and did not detect any unpleasant or loud growling from the engine.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I read a review that stated something similar to the following;

". . . even though the new 3.0L V6 is not as quiet as the 3.5L V6 in the Honda Odyssey, it is definitely in the same class . . ."

I didn't notice any significant noise during a recent test drive of a 20002 MPV either . . . as a matter of fact, the MPV was quieter than the 3.3L V6 in the Caravan I am currently leasing.
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    when I dropped off the MPV for service this morning. That's got to be my favorite color! The 17" alloys are awesome looking too! I can't understand why they don't just go ahead and stick a spoiler on the back as a standard ES option. Imho, it just begs for it ;). Though I did feel like having breakfast at IHOP after staring at the revised front grill, I think the updated tail lights are a nice, sporty touch. All in all, the best looking van on the road keeps getting better!

SC
    I don't have any idea what noise are we talking about? My 02ES MPV is almost as quiet as Acura TL. Only at idle speed a little noisier. In Acura at idle actually I never know if the engine is running or not. In MPV at idle I can hear the engine. I have owned about 16 cars including Mercedes and MPV is one of the quietest cars. The most noise comes usually from the rough road surface not from the engine unless someone is pushing at 6000 RPM all the time then this can explain the engine noise. At 80 MPH and 2300 RPM I can hardly hear any engine noise.

MB
    This color? I like this one alot. What do you mean IHOP? lol

/j
    ...credit to mazda for pic...
    That pic looks JUST like the one I saw. I REALLY like those 17" wheels, much more so than the 16"s - they have too much of a curve thing going at the end of the spoke, I prefer a straight spoke. I wonder how much they'd set me me back for the '01? BTW, someone on the Mazda 6 board posted pics from a recent autoshow. Pretty neat stuff, especially the mazdaspeedMPV.

re: IHOP - I could almost smell those Belgian waffles!

SC
    javadoc, scarter, I believe this is sage green metallic color and this is exactly MPV that I have. I love this color and my wife likes it as well. I did, either on Edmunds or kbb.com, an appraisal for a used car with this color and to my amazement the price of the car was reduced $88 because of that particular color. GO FIGURE!

MB
    I agree, I think it is the Sage Green, not Coastal Blue. The Sage Green is what I'm going to get. Absolutely the most awesome color I've seen in a Japanese import in awhile.
    Could be ... my eyes aren't focusing as well on this tiny 14" monitor - the 17" broke last week and I'm awaiting replacement :( , so the pic java posted seems like a thumbnail, but I thought it was the same. Those two colors must be close then (?). The MPV I saw today was coastal blue ... said so on the sticker. That's my story and I is stickin' to it! BTW, did I say I REALLY like the *Coastal Blue*, but the *Sage Green* is nice too ?!

While I'm talking about color, have you ever noticed how some vehicles with the same namesake look good in one or two colors, but awful in the rest? Like the Sienna for example . It’s like the nice paint job makes up for the bland styling. Fortunately that doesn't seem to be a problem with the MPV. I'm hoping maybe for that deep blue on the Mazda 6, or the yellow off the RX-8 for the future!
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I agree about the Sienna's colors. I don't care for the two tone color scheme. The Ody has the worst selection of colors(earthy & mundane). Mazda has really improved their image with all the new color selections. Laser Blue Mica(M6 & MP3), Vivid Yellow(P5 & MP3) and the all new MS Protege in Spicy Orange. Mazda's marketing is targeting the young and young at heart.

The MPV's colors are very nice, especially the new colors for 02. My favorite MPV color is Midnight Blue!

Pjd58
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    It's our first anniversary(4/3) with our 01 LX MPV. After one year our MPV has 15,000 flawless miles. Nothing wrong...nil, zilch, nada, big fat zero! Except for some rock chips on the hood, our MPV looks brand spankin new. Lots of hand washing and Zymol treatments, by yours truly. I hope my Wifey appreciates my detailing efforts:)

Pjd58
    ...send me that auth-request again, I miffed it up.

/j
    I'll have to re-do it tomorrow. I'm home now and don't have icq (actually Trillian) loaded on my laptop yet ...
    Yes I did own a 2000 Odyssey. I hated it. It was like driving a school bus. I spent most of my time bringing it into the service deparment (31 times in 1 year). My kids got car sick in the back because it was sort of floaty when you hit small dips in the road. I also found it searching for power in the hills of Virginia. The Mazda is so much nicer. Handles better and has a nice tight non-floating suspension yet you don't feel all the bumps in the road. Engine noise? What are you talking about? I do have to admit the Toyota Sienna was the quietest and ugliest van I drove but the 2002 Mazda MPV is NOT noisy. All in all it's a great van.
    Taya
    Has anyone installed their own mud guards (authentic Mazda MPV guards) on the Mazda MPV yet? It doesn't seem like it'd be hard and the dealer wants $60 just to install them. Sounds like a rip off. I'm willing to bet that there are just a few screws involved. Am I right?
    Taya
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Thanks gang for your forum.

You have been helping me decide to purchase the '02 MPV LX, which I chose with the luxury package #1 (16" wheels, etc.), 4 seasons, rear air, and mud guards. Dealer had several '02 MPVs on the lot, I had the impression that they weren't moving as fast as he would like. I got my deal for $23,665, which is about $450 to $900 over invoice (depending on whether one subtracts the $445 dealer holdback from the dealer invoice).

My pet peeve with Mazda: to get rear air and rear heater, I had to buy over $2,000 in options. I just couldn't see a nice van like the MPV leaving the rear of the van unclimatized. Barbaric in this day and age. I told the dealer that if I had to spend $24 K to get the MPV equipped with essentials, I would pay a second visit to the Honda dealership and make an offer on the '02 LX Ody, which has rear air/heater standard. Hopefully Mazda will figure this out (listen up Mazda!).

Dealer comments: the Mazda dealer very nice, efficient, helpful so far. The salesman even drove an MPV on their lot 20 miles to our house, so the wife could go on a test drive.

I did test drive the '02 Ody, they are great vans and I would have been happy with either one. Honda still hasn't been able to pump out enough product for demand, and the dealers could care less. The attitude I received was that for every one of me wanting one near MSRP, they had 10 guys willing to pay a dealer premium. I will be quite happy with the MPV -- better value, service, and an excellent vehicle in its own right.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    There are rear heating vents in the MPVs w/o the 4 seasons pkg. They are located under the front seats. I realize that these aren't as convenient as having a separate set of controls in the rear, but they do keep the back-end warmer than just having the dash vents blowing heat.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    yea, evaddave, you are correct... but my rear heat needs go beyond just dashboard control with a couple remote outlets. The rear should have a separate blower and temp control, just like the front. How many times do we hear from noisy kids "its too hot" or "its too cold" and then go back and forth trying to regulate, meantime upsetting the front area temperature.... same for the air, the rear half of the van just needs different controls than the front.
    ...Odyssey come with rear heat w/controls as std equipment? I don't know if it does or doesn't. I see that it comes with rear a/c, which is a nice feature. I was looking at specs of an LX Ody, since you had sited a $24k figure.

/j
    For some reason, i find it growling while initial pick-up from say 0 to 40, then it becomes quiet ! maybe it is just me who can hear it....
    Let me see if I can articulate my question right,

I thought, in the front a/c controls if you leave it in rear, the real controls will apply for heat/ac as in rear controls. That works.

If, in the front, if you don't leave it in rear, the front controls should apply for rear heat/ ac.....stranegely in my 02 MPV ES(with 4 seasons), still the rear controls apply.

so, no matter what - you will have to adjust the rear controls to get the rear heat/ac right. Unlike Dodge Caravan - you can control everything from front.
    bummer ?
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Anyone been keeping track of their gas mileage? If so, please share...thanks!
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    What's with the 'backwards' right wiper on the MPV. What is Mazda's reason for this and do other vehicles have these?
  • budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    It isn't very hard to install. All there is are removal of 2 screws on each corner of the wheel well but the front one require some drill if you want to follow the instruction to a T. I didn't drill the hole because of the two screws that were holding the mud guards were strong enough to keep it in place and so far, they are still on the MPV. Hope that helps.
    You don't like the wipers? I prefer this; IMO it provides better visibilty. I also like the long blades which pretty much clear the entire windshield. We get a lot of torrential rain down here during the summer and it can get a little tense on the highway sometimes. I actually wish there was a faster, third speed on the wiper motor.

SC
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    For me, I prefer the way they are on MPV. The right wiper pointing to left when lowered. By doing this, when they sweep the windshield, you have clear edges of it (I mean, left and right sides are clean). If both wipers are pointed to the right, then the right-side portion of windshield are not cleaned properly and you don't see vehicles and pedestrains coming from right...

As a drawback, the upper middle portion of the windshield isn't cleaned well enough but it still doesn't affect your field of view. The only annoyance is the salty water from washer tends to drip in the middle so I had to use wipers several times after I wash the windshield. Other than that, I believe that this design is better from field-of-view stand point. I don't know why many other manufacturers use wipers pointing in the same direction...
    My impression of the a/c and rear controls are this. No matter what, vent and temperature controls (for the heat at least) are determined by the dials in the back. Fan speed is determined by the front sliding control, or the rear dial if you put the front control on "rear." If you put he a/c on, no a/c is sent to the rear unless you either turn the front-mounted rear fan control on or put it to "rear." But, if someone left the rear control on "hot," you'll still get heated (but conditioned?) air.

Does that make sense, before I've had my morning joe? :-)

/java
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Getting close to signing a contract, but still debating the $500 car payment for 24 months to get 0%. One question I have is my dealer said that all the LX's within 6 states around Ohio that have the Lux package also have rear AC and cassette. She said that people who want lux also want the other two options so that's the way they are made at the factory. We just want Lux, 4-season, mats, rack, and guards and she said we would have to order from the factory. Any thoughts. Thanks
    Oldstyle: I am in MO and we just picked up our Sunlight Silver LX last night. It has Lux, step, rear a/c and roof rack. No cassette.

We used the s-plan and got it for $22,840. I was also charged $69 to deliver it from another dealer. I didn't fight that fee, the dealership is 2 minutes from home and I wanted preferential treatment when I bring it in.

Only issue is that when we test drove one the first time with the child seat in, my daughter had plenty of room for her feet. When we test drove the actual one we were buying, she kept kicking the driver's seat. We tried re-configuring the seats, but there was no room. Was it built differently than the first one we test drove? No, I am an idiot. My wife drove on the first test drive and she is only 5'2". I am 6'2", so the seat is back all the way for me and up almost all the way for her. Our daughter's seat will be moving to the passenger's side of the van very shortly.

Love the van!!!!!!!!
    Java, do you remember how much $ Mazda wanted?

or I guess what I really mean, has anyone found one cheaper than what's on the Edmund's site ($163-$190)?
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Have any of you seen the Mazdaspeed MPV...evidently there was one at the NY auto show. This has not gotten any coverage by the media, but one of the guys on the Mazda 6 sedan board posted some pics and happened to catch the Mazdaspeed MPV. Any news on that??? Maybe I should wait for a little while longer to buy my van!! Or lease it so I can turn it in for a Mazdaspeed MPV.
    Mazdaspeed? Hmmmm, interesting. Dunno.

Scarter... I think that's about right for the price. I'm trying to convince the d.w. that a spoiler would keep grime off the rear window. Ne1 have experience w/the rear spoiler?
    ... looked like a super GFX package in the new spicey orange paint pjd58 was talking about. Hmmmm
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    truckdude:
    I just bought a MPV a month ago and it has about 750 miles on it. Mileage has varied but overall has been increasing as I drive the van more. The last three tanks (all highway miles) have been 19, 20, and 21 mpg. Since I should be getting something like 24, I was disappointed and asked my Dealer if there was something wrong with the vehicle. He said it really takes about 2000 miles to break in the car before you start seeing the rated mileage.

So far, that has been my experience. How old is your MPV and what has your experience been?

Michael
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Also highway miles, I'm getting 24mpg with a/c on 90% of the time (if Java would just leave our weather alone that other 10%...). Just turned 23,700 miles on my '01.
    I did post earlier that my mpg increased along the way but don't know (or realized) if I changed my driving habits.
    Summer... 19city/23hwy

Winter... 16city/21hwy

Not bad considering lead shoes, snow tires (winter) and crummy winter fuels.

/java
    Husker, I am not sure if you are aware that the second row seats you can slide side to side and also back and forward. Just a thought....

MB