Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    Truckdude:
    Was your mileage that good from the beginning, or did your car need to be broken in first? In other words, did you car get poor or mediocre mileage (below the EPA rating) until you had put a few thousand miles on it??
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    You know, I do wish the middle-row seats reversed so they could point aft in addition to fore. That would be a really neat feature, and would keep the munchkins from kicking the back of the driver's seat. VW's Eurovan has the second-row seats (some models) rearward facing and it makes a large amount of room b/w the 2nd and 3rd rows. Granted, access to the rugrats would be hampered if this happened, so there'd be a trade-off.

/j
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    I'm averaging 21mpg in mix city/hwy
    Pure highway driving 24-27mpg. We have put 26,000 miles in the first year we own the van. Mileage started improving a lot a 15,000 miles

Ron.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I doubt you can get more than 24 mpg from MPV (at least 2000-2001 models). I drove once with rather strong tail wind and wasn't going faster than about 120 km/h and I still got about 10 L/100 km or 23.5 mpg. Granted, if you were to go about 80-90 mpg, you would do better than that, but still I see it unrealistic to have 27 or even 26 for that matter.

Are you sure you are calculating MPG correctly?

I have a very close numbers that Java quoted. Just put on my OEM Dunlops (16") back after winter and last two tanks were:

Tank #1 (70% city, 30%hwy): 13.13 L/100 km (17.92 mpg)
    Tank #2 (20% city, 80%hwy): 12.02 L/100 km (19.57 mpg)

With my winter tires on (Michelin Arctic Alpin) and rather poor road conditions I usually got around 14-15 L/100 km city (15.6-16.8 mpg) during winter (quite steadily).
  • howdydhowdyd Member Posts: 10
    Anyone else having problems getting a quote through email from Mazda dealers? I emailed 4 dealers here in San Antonio asking for their "best price" and have received no responses.
    Finally called one up today and told them I wanted an ES with the following options: roof rack, 4-seasons pckg, cargo net, mud guards, and rear bumper st. plate.
    The guy called back and told me that they don't get many with 4-seasons here and that without it, the price = $28,000 !!!
    Any thoughts?
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Rear heat:
    Last night I got to take Maxine out to hockey practice, and while I was cleaning it out (a prerequisite every time I get to drive it) to make space for the hockey gear, I discovered our 10-year-old's version of rear heat. You guessed it, a blanket. :)

Wipers:
    I've noticed that vehicles with smaller, more rectangular windshields tend to have the right side wiper work the same direction as the left side, and vehicles with larger, more square windshields tend to have the right side wiper work backwards. And then there's Mercedes, which I think has a trademark on unusual wiper blade patterns. BTW, thanks, javadoc, for the tip on the Bosch wiper blades. I replaced all the wipers on all our cars, and the results are absolutely amazing!

2nd-row recliners:
    It'd be cool to have rotating seats in the second row, and it would be even cooler if they had the flip-out footrest. But how would you buckle in? (and the driver would probably have to have a control to lock the rotation. That would be too much fun for a kid.)
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    That's how they try to show attitude. I just moved from Houston to Boston. So, i know the dealers in Tx.

Max you can pay is 500$ more than the invoice. Invoice is usually 2k to 2.5k less than MSRP. Otherwise you are overpaying.

They try to make it look like these are hard to get etc etc....be tough !

Also, try carsdirect.com, imotors.com for a haggle-free price.

But if you are good negotiator, you can get better deals than the online ones. If you are not a good negotiator, take a friend or relative who is.
    thanks. Mine works exactly how you explain !
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    Throwing my 2 cents. With 1350 miles on the odometer of our 2002 LX, we just got 17 mpg of city driving at last fill-up. So far mileage is our only concern. To make things worse I just read a pamphlet where it shows the Peugeot 806 getting 41 mpg (of diesel fuel.) We are undertaking our first serious trip tomorrow, we'll see. May the MTBE makes it worse. What doesn't it make worse anyway.
  • husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Mazda-guy, I have tried putting the middle seats all the way back, but her feet still hit that bar on the back of the driver's side chair.

I am going to try to put the seats together and put her in the middle, but I am not sure if the seat-belt will tighten up enough, being so far from the seat. If not, she will just move to the passenger side and like it (ha, ha).

Thanks again for everyone great info. Has anyone ever installed a spoiler on their MPV? If so, what is involved in the installation?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The mazdaSpeed MPV is just a concept at this point. If the demand is there after a few auto shows they my give it the go ahead.

One reason the SpeedMPV was missed is due to the location. Its not with the mazda display but with the Ford truck display...along with the mazda trucks.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't have an 02 MPV but we are seriously looking at it. I wanted one in 2000 when they first came out, but the lack of engine power and reports of 16mpg forced us to buy a Sienna. The Sienna has terrific power and always gets 19-24 mpg. So I was curious what the new 3.0 was doing - sounds like it's right where it should be 18-24. Anyway, getting tired of all the rattles and sqeaks in the Sienna, plus I hate to drive it because it wallows like a big boat. This 6th Toyota I believe will be our last...
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    last tank slightly over 20 mpg all city; the only caveat - it was all my wife driving - she is the most defensive driver I've ever known
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    The MPV is nice but it has some Saab in it. This explains the different right wiper, and the tightest engine compartment around. They also have some cheap Accountants which is the only reason they do not combine both rear heat and a/c in the same package. Those same decision makers decided to leave off the right side power lock control to save a few dollars which I beleive makes the MPV the only vehicle over $20k in America with this dubious honor. Mazda also decided to not put a 3 point belt in the rear center position. I raise these points because all or most of their direct competitors has these items. I cannot understand from a marketing and design standpoint why they would leave them off; it must of been to save a few dollars. Overall,I like the MPV and it does offer a lot, but if they spent a few more dollars it would be even better.
    The two times I bought a new car, I never even thought about door locks, wipers, cup holders, storage areas, etc. Can this be explained by the fact that I wasn't raised in the US?
    Kczmudzin, no, lol. ;-)

I really think the windshield wiper design is great. Like other posters, I think it clears the windhield much better than your typical conventional wiper configuration. If you want to see unconventional, look at some Mercedes models. Some have mono-wipers, where they mount at the bottom, center of the windshield, like on old VW Sciroccos.

The switching gear is subjective. It never bothers me, but I'm always the driver when I'm in the van (my controls! All mine!). Actually, and maybe I've missed this feature all this time, but it would be nice to have a door latch on the inside of the rear hatch. Did I miss it in my almost 3yrs of ownership?

/j
    Thanks everyone for info on your mileage. My dealer said mileage would get better after passing the first 2000 miles -- breakin' in time, I guess.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    No way. Rutgers, tell me what van is flawless and I'll sell my MPV and go out and buy one:) There are a few things I wish the MPV had.......light switch for rear dome light in front and AWD. I focus on the POSITIVE attributes of the MPV, which are far more numerous than the negative.

Mazda made a great van at a very reasonable price. Manufacturers make decisions on what features are best for a specific car, to meet a competitive price point.

Pjd58
    mcadrecha, I noticed mileage improvements after 5k, and then some more after 15k, but I also changed the tranny fluid at that time, so the two may be connected. Have fun!

/java
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    This was mentioned a while back and I don't want to search for it - ice melts in the martini while typing...

What tranny fluid was everyone going to when this was first brought up? I plan to do this in the next week or so.
    Thx.
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    Hmm, now I've figured out why I like the MPV so much ! Seven years in my 900 Turbo (the last *real* Saab) must have been subliminally leading me to buy an MPV!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I don't want rear heat Rutger so I'd rather not subsidize yours. Although, I hope they make a built in refrigerator standard. Don't want my 6 babies getting warm on the way home from the store. :)
    ...that Alaska is the best place on earth! You can strap your 'babies' on the roof rack of your MPV and not worry about ruining the icy, rocky mt. favor! Well, not today, it's actually above freezing... time for shorts and sandles, right after I adjust the weather machine to point more directly at Houston.
  • matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    what's wrong with current saab? (too much GM in it?)

wife was hoping to add a *nice* car once we get MPV paid off. Considering Saab95 , but if it isn't a real saab - may have to scrap the idea. (or look at Audi A6 - but they seem to gouge $$ if you want all the goodies.)

Java - weren't you daydreaming about adding Audi to the fleet?
    Scarter's referring to the last real saab to be designed b4 the company came under ownership by the General. 9-5s are awesome, imho... General or no General.

Mat, yes I was/am thinking about an A6 quattro, but I've sunk 'some' money in my sedan and need time to enjoy that investment, heheheheh. Needless to say, it makes my old Contour seem like a Metro in the power dept. now (eggs tb on).

Just to redeem myself with some content, our MPV wouldn't be replaced by anything but another MPV. I'm still trying to weasle my way into a 2002 w/o losing my shirt on my '00.

/j
    I'm starting to get over my issues with saab 8-) ! When they replaced my car with that ugly *imposter* 900/9-3, I must admit that I was in denial for some time . But with the advent of the 9-5, esp this year's lineup, my faith is being restored ... perhaps when the MPV & Accord are paid off .

Java, do weasles wear shirts in Alaska? ;)

Uh-oh, I hear Steve coming ....
    javadoc, thanks for the info on mileage. I will remember the tranny fluid replacement idea when I go in to the dealer for my regular service.

I just love my new MPV. Never had a vehicle like this before. You sit a little higher than in a car, great visibility, handles real nice, and the designers paid a lot of attention to the details (except for that blasted gear shift!).

When I was filling out my profile for this Town Hall site, the question is asked: "What is your dream car?" I answered "Ferrari" for lack of a better idea, but my real dream car is my MPV. I have wanted a minivan for a long time because its easier to put my family (wife, 2-yr old, and 1 month old baby) in, including my parents.

With the old 89 Celeb, one of us had to stay home when parents were visiting and we wanted to go on a trip, so the MPV has come at the right time.

This is the first new car I have owned since I bought a 626 in '86, so it feels good to get into some new wheels. Been driving that used '89 celebrity since 1993. Fairly reliable car, but poorly laid out in the interior and few creature comforts.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    kczmudzin you might be here on something. Possibly I am biased to. I war raised in Europe and like you I care less about cup holders. Actually I hate them. Maybe I am freak but I do not allow to eat or drink anything in a car. Since my first wife spilled full cup of coffee in my brand new car I have now new wife and new clean car LOL. No drinking in my car!!!

I have 1000 miles on ES02 and Mazda is doing 20MPG 80% city 20%hwy

MB
    MB and KC, we (I mean I) gave up long ago trying to keep food/drink out of the van. So, now the weekly shop-vac'ing keeps it clean, along with two professional detailings a year. The sedan, well, only mochas are allowed in it, and don't even THINK about bringing those Skittles or fries in it! ;-) I think eating in cars is pretty much a N.American past-time, yes?
    [ot]
    Scarter... weasles wear parkas here, and mittens. Fwiw, I didn't like the 900/93 either, as it had way too many issues. At least they kept the 2.0L & 2.3L turbos.
    [/ot]
    /javadoc (weasling my way home now)
    have you all checked the manual to see how many different seating configurations one can do, in the MPV ? it is amazing.

one interesting config. was Front seat can go flat all the way & make a bed ? wondering if evryone knows about it.....
  • howdydhowdyd Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info!!
    I called another dealer and he gave me a quote of $28,700 originally, then went down to "$500 over invoice" if I come in. ...wouldn't tell me exactly what the number was exactly over the phone.
  • modeltmodelt Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to Java and all the MPV owners, I am now a proud owner of a loaded 02 MPV LX. This board has been very helpful for me to make a tough decision. Here's my input for those looking to buy an MPV.

I paid invoice for my MPV. It comes with 4-seasons, Security, Luxury, Cassette, Rear AC, Roof rack. The price was $24352. This is alot more options than what I originally wanted, but since it was a good deal, I went for it, and hey, you only live once. Also got 0% for 24 months.

Like most of minivan shoppers, my choices came down to the Ody, Sienna, and MPV. I owned a Quest before, and just want to try something new this time.

After high anticipation for the Ody, I finally got to test drive one. It was dissapointing. The car is not a quiet as I would have like, and it was too big for my family. Perhaps I was expecting too much after reading all the glowing reviews for Ody. The Check Engine light was on all the time, and dealer wanted 1K over MSRP. I walked.

Next was the Sienna. The van was the quietest and smoothest ride of all the van I've driven so far. However, the sludge board made me think twice about the Sienna. True, it might be overblown and that Toyota just came out with an 8 years warranty for sludge problem, but I didn't want to always worry about making sure I change the oil on time. The styling of the Sienna didn't help either, but that is personal taste. It was tough not buying this fine minivan, especially with the current very competitive price with the MPV.

The Mazda wasn't perfect, but it has the best features that I like. I love the roll down rear window. My 8 and 9 years old daughters always roll down the Windows in my other car, and I just hate to drive them on a scenic ocean drive and have them stare at the ocean from behind the tinted glass. The only concern I have for the MPV was the Ford engine. However, that concern was short lived after I found this board and the MPV problem board. The MPV also drives like a car, and the styling was as good as a minivan can get.

Sorry for the long post. Later folks.
  • d2bahd2bah Member Posts: 3
    Reply to Post #2823 and all others who don't know this: FYI, Walmart sells a 44 qt. well-insulated COLEMAN 12V cooler with 110V adaptor for only $80! It fits perfectly into the "well" behind the rear seat of my new 2002LX and plugs into the 12V receptable there. The cover of the 'fridge is easily reversible (which I did so that the cord comes out the side towards the receptacle). The device has a shelf in it, and be used lying on its back like a miniature chest freezer, or standing up like a refrigerator. First night we had it I tested it by plugging it into a house wall socket (using the adaptor that comes with it) and tossed in a couple warm cans of beer and a thermometer. The next morning the thermometer registered around 30 degrees--the beer was COLD! But listen to THIS: The device is designed so that by reversing the plug-in, it will HEAT instead of cool, so you can keep hot stuff hot! It's like it was MADE for the MPV.
    modelt, congratualtions on your new car. What color did you get?

MB
    Hi you all, I have a proposition that everybody lists what they are missing in their MPV's. What options, if available, would you add to make your dream minivan. Here is my list.

1. Front power windows auto one touch up and down
    2. Sunroof wind deflector and one touch close.
    3. Ability to close all windows and sunroof using door key like in VW
    4. External temperature display
    5. CD changer that plays randomly all CDs
    6. Separate time clock, not the one with radio
    7. AC outlet in glove compartment to keep chocolate from melting.

MB
  • matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    Nice write up!

Congrats on the purchase.

Wish you may trouble free miles.
    Mat
    Congrats and I hope you have many happy miles!

java
  • modeltmodelt Member Posts: 12
    Mazda_guy, I found the hard to find coastal blue, but I compromised with my SO and got silver.

What I like to see from the MPV is more reasonable options layout so that if I want side air bags, and rear heat, I don't have to shell out over 1K for them.

Thanks guys for the congrats.
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    My wish list for options is pretty basic, since most of my concerns have been taken care of in 2002 redesign.

1. Color option red. It doesn't have to be bright red, but some shade of red.

2. Delete options for woodgrain trim and power doors on ES.

3. Option for Rugged bumpers - even if they detract from the styling.

4. Center rear lap/shoulder belt.

5. An add-on cassette for the LX that costs more like the $10 Mazda pays for it and less like the $200 they're they're charging.

6. James Bond-style ejector seat (I've always wanted one of those since I was a little kid.)

Note: You can get your external temperature if you get the auto-dimming mirror option for only $230.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Heated seats in the ES. Leather is cold in the winter!
    You'll have to check the Moonroof option for the ejector seat. Safety reasons and all.

I'd say my wishlist would be:

1. AWD (pretty please?)
    2. Heated seats w/ 4Seasons
    3. Auto up/down Driver's window
    4. Super-Sound as an option in the LX model
    5. Switch to turn on all interior lights

Minor details, but since the question was posed... I'd buy TWO vans if it had AWD!!!

/j
    Has anyone had experience with installation of bamper step plate? Is any drilling involved or is it stick on?

MB
    It's a stick-on. I put mine on about four months ago .... it's already started to come up on one end :(
    I put mine on about a year ago. You'll want to make sure the bumper's surface is absolutely clean (no wax) or the edges will pull up, so use rubbing alcohol should work for that. Then, "measure twice" and stick once b/c once you stick it down, it's stuck (mostly). The install is really easy actually.

/j
  • kovalevnyrkovalevnyr Member Posts: 1
    There should be a separate discussion for the 2002's since the main part of the vehicle (other than body style/type) is radically different from previous models, the engine size!
    If someone, like myself, is interested in buying a 2002 MPV then 2001's and before are irrelevant.
    Also, I've notice the S-plan price for the 2002 LX version is a few dollars above invoice but the ES is a few BELOW invoice.
    Manual gear box (I will give up a few cup holders if necessary.)
  • canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    With the original Dunlop's finally showing their wear-bars (at 33,500 miles), it's time to make a switch. I am seriously considering the Michelin X-One's or the B.F. Goodrich Control T/A M65, possibly the Goodyear Eagle LS. Anyone have any experience-based comments, suggestions, advice? Thanks much!
    interesting......my dunlap tires on my 00 MPV also got worn out in 30+k miles.
    Caniel, I had Goodyear LS on my Passat. Excellent tires. Word of caution though. Do not rotate them. If you do they become very noisy.

MB
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    Was noisy new until they wore down a little. Now at 45k km I do not notice them that much (or am i just getting used to the noise?).

New, they also scraped against the wheel wells going over speed bumps even at very low speed. They still do now but to a lesser degree. One caveat is i've been inflating them around 38 to 40psi so i'd get less lean on corners. So far they've worn evenly so i'm keeping them at that pressure.

The bigger stab bars and springs on the 2002 tho are veerrrryyyyy tempting!