Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Garypen, you might but the warranty policies are different. You are going into another country. But worth the try.
  • Canada is another country? Since when? Oh yeah. I always wondered why everyone was so polite up there.
    Oh Canada!

I think Canada is a more organized, cleaner version of the USA. With less than half the population and double the land mass!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I think 1958 was the first year for the imapala or was that new model called a belair?
    The full size b-body was completely redesigned and downsized for 1977. In 1980 it was freshened.
    1985 was the last year for the impala until the '94 Impala SS.
    Do we count an exterior change on the same chassis as a generation? Probably.
    The 1980 freshening didn't have a different dash though. So I guess from 1977-1989 was one generation.
    1971-1976 would be another.
    Gm was changing these things almost every year before that.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    1965-70 was the next generation back and the 61-64 prior to that. The 59-60 were the behemouths that gave Impala it's own full model line-up of sedan, hardtop and station wagon in addition to the coupe and convertibles of 1958 that wore the first Impala insignia.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    The current Mustang is still an updated version of the FOX platform that originated with the 1978 Fairmont, the 1979 Mustang had the Fairmont Dashboard thru 1986, then changed for 1987 thru 1993, then 1994 til now...so they have gotten 3 designs out of the same platform for the Mustang,
    Not to mention the 1979-86 Mercury Capri,1978-83 Fairmont/Futura/Zeyphr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar 4dr.,1983-86 LTD/Marquis(small)I forgot the ugliest incarantion the 1980-82 Ford Thunderbird/Cougar..and the 1983-88 Thunderbird/Cougar....How is that for Inter-changeable parts?.....all based on the FOX Platform.......Don
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Thanks for the compliments on Canada! We're actually closer to 10-15% the population of the States. However, I'm not sure we're always more organized than anyone ;-)
    Brad
  • Double the land mass, but how much is usable? Lots of snow and ice.

How about Japan? 150 million people, roughly half that of the US, in a country the size of California, and maybe only 25% of that land is usable! (Mountains and such over 75% of it)

Don't see too many Impalas in Japan! I did see a couple of "Toyota" Cavaliers. Back in 88, I saw a white T-bird. US cars are usually driven by mafia. The luxury car buyers looking for a foreign marquee seem to prefer German.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Check the 2000 IMPALA sales brochure that includes a picture and reference to the first Impala in 1958.

An aside . . .
    Just got back from a 1000 mile business trip and couldn't help but notice a lot of very B-I-G, last of the breed 1996 RWD GM vehicles on the road:

CHEVROLET IMPALA (were they only made in black?)
    BUICK ROADMASTER
    . . . and my personal favorite
    CADILLAC FLEETWOOD
    So, I guess we are driving 8th gens.
    '58-60
    '61-64
    '65-70
    '71-76
    '77-79
    '80-85(thru '89 as Caprice)
    '94-96(as Impala SS and '90-96 as Caprice)
    '00-02
    I seperated the '77-89 years because of all new sheetmetal in 1980.e
    Talk about history! Few nameplates have ben around
    for 44 years.
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    Nice rims Impalaboy, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, but the Canadian customs fees/duties on such an item would probably make it very cost prohibitive. :o(
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Question

How did you figure that 58-60, 61-64 and so forth were generations? Back then they had planned obsolescence so they were re designed every year, the concept of "generations" was introduced with the imports I believe.
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    You are all forgetting Ron Howard's car in American Graffiti.
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    I believe the concept of generations originated with Corvette. This is my C3. The current generation is C5.

C1 1953-62
    C2 1963-67
    C3 1968-82
    C4 1984-96
    C5 1997-02

There was no 1983 Corvette.

I am still not sure how they figure out generations because i do not know if they go by chassis or body style.
    1st generation camaro was from 67-69. 2nd gen from 70-81, but the 2nd gen was built on the first gen floorpan. Same wheelbase even.
    3rd gen was completely new. 4th gen was built on same floorpan(strengthened)and also the same wheelbase.
    Don't know what the criteria is.
    a sheetmetal change,they can change the sheetmetal/taillights/headlights 5 or more times within 10 years and it is still the same...Look at the Chevrolet Truck 1973 thru 1987, all those years and it was the same thing...then next gen. for 1988 thru 1998, they did a few hundred things different to the 1999+, hence a new generation... It goes by a certain overwhelming percentage of the car that is different or new to promote a new Generation...Don
  • I thought it was when they change the letter at the end of the Enterprise's number. NCC-1701-D, etc.
    So the 1977-1989 would be one generation.
    The body was changed
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    My understanding is - they were on a 3 year cycle, where they would get cosmetic changes every year, and a major redesign every 3rd year. Look at a 55, 56, 57 Chevy, they are similar except for the sheet metal, then in 58 it was a more substantial redesign.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    What about Arizona? Fourth largest state by landmass but only 5 million people. 22% of the land is private. All this space but can't use it! And we get a bunch of Canadians ( not to mention a pile of midwestern folks)every winter down here. We call them SnowBirds but not to their faces, you can identify them by the LaBatt's they are carrying into the hockey game in Phoenix. Oh yeah, terms of service... Impala is running great!
    Coming to America!!!!
    Do I detect a change in the winds?
    Hmmmmm. Ken, if the Commodore becomes available in the US, virtually unchanged from the Australian version, then it will be a very tough decision between the German iron and the Aussie/Germanic Iron. The Commodore is essentially a Cadillac Catera with a V8, RWD and an available 6-speed manual tranny. The V8 in the Commodore SS is the same beast found under the hood of the Corvette coupe and the Camaro SS.

This car will be a true replacement to the 1994-96 Impala SS. Perhaps Chevy will get it and it will be rebadged Impala SS.

V8, 300HP+ power going to the rear wheels on a sedan weighing less than 3,500 pounds is way too tempting.

Bob Lutz is working hard at restoring GM's performance credentials in North America.

Would you let go of your Bonneville?
  • You know what you need? An XJR.
    XJR...hmmm not bad either. I like Jag's but they are not among my top 5 list of dream cars to own. I like the XJS sedan and the current convertible, and of course all the old ones with their Lucas electrical systems.

I dislike the cheaper Jag's of the Ford era...the new X-type and the S-type.
  • I understand. From the front, the S-type is gorgeous. From the back, it looks like a Ford Taurus. I just figured you'd like the XJR, a 370HP RWD luxury sedan. They really are sweet. If you're not doing anything on a Sunday afternoon, stop by your local Jag dealer, and check one out.

Shoot. You can even get a 6 cylinder model, circa 1995, for under $18K, maybe more like $15-16K, or a 96 for under $20K. Even with a six, it's still got 322 horses.
  • That's the kind of thing they need to sell here. Not just the power aspect. It's the whole damn package. GM has cars with that power here already. They're either an exotic sports car like the Corvette, or an antiquated, uncomfortable, and poorly built relic like the current Camaro.

The current US GM entry in the performance sedan market? The horrifically ugly CTS. It's practically an abomination. Has anyone seen the new commercial with that monstrocity cruising next to a beautiful classic convertible Caddy? It only makes the CTS look that much uglier.

It makes you wonder if BMW, MB, and Ford/Jaguar/Volvo don't have double agents working in the top ranks of GM.
    I am not 100% sold on the new CTS, not even 50%. The Sigma platform is very good but I am afraid GM has missed the mark again with the CTS. The CTS is a Ron Zarella era product, so Bob Lutz needs to fix it beginning with the looks.

On the other hand, that Holden Commodore SS is the real deal. I want one!!
    1977-1990..even though the sheet metal changed,(I geuss that 1980 change was MILD?) the car really did not, you could put one side by side and see the same basic car in more ways than one. save for a few updates, it was then 1991-1996, the 1996 looked a little different than the '91 with the open wheel wells in the back, still it was a tub, I followed 2 '95-96 Caprices to work today on the highway, man were they ugly, I bet they had 1,000,000 miles on them between both of them, they seem not to want 1998+ Crown Vics around here as far a Taxi's, they use old 1980's Caprice Estate Wagons and Sedans that are falling apart at the seems and the newer ones are just as bad...looking at the bull pen at the airport taxi stand is like you are standing in 1985 or something, no newer cabs....Just worn out beaters.. that are Orange,Green,Pink or whatever obnoxious color they can find at Big Lots to re-paint them,paint them and re-paint them again....Don
    And CTS is not. Where has gracefulness gone in Cadillac? The new 'edgy' design doesn't appeal to me at all and the CTS interior is too spartan.

I'd like to see more of that Commodore.
    I kind of like the CTS. I think it is a little too narrow. Another 3 inches in width would help.
    Also the wheel wells need to opened up. It makes the tires look too small.

I also feel the olds aurora was made too narrow.
    It has less room inside than the intrigue.
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hi all,

I'm back! I've been shopping on Ebay! (auctions) and haven't devoted any time to the forum. And to make matters worst, my Chevy dealer's service dept. caught fire and I heard 7 cars were burned up! Glad I didn't take mine in! My car is running OK, I still have hesitation every now and then, but, it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to. I'm living with it. Although I currently plan to keep my Impala, I may buy something else when the warranty is up. I think there's going to be a lot of new and redesigned cars coming down the pike and I can't wait to see them. Another thing, some kid reared his car into the side of my car, but the damage was so minimal I didn't do anything about it. His insurance was expired and he didn't speak english too well. So, I gave him some slack (along with the fact that I hate being without my car! and shelling out the deductible!) Hope it doesn't come back to bite me! Anyway, I'll get back to you once I catch up with the messages. I'm only at #7389! You guys (and gals) have been really busy! Colchester, glad to see you're still around! and Teo, you're the man! glad to see you're still providing us with informative words of wisdom (and wry humor in some cases :D )!
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Ahem, the 84-86 Impala was a Caprice.

And the Holden looks like a cross between a Honda Accord and a Saturn. Especially around the rear glass. Color matched instrument panel?

When they say it's an "alloy" engine, does that mean an alumnium block and heads? *shudder*
    Good to see you back!
    I think there is a TSB for the hesitation.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    NightOwl1, don't you mean 94-96 Impala SS?????
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Good to see you back ! thanks--------------mattmcdill
  • hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    Just in case you have not had the hesitation fix done: Reprogramming the PCM computer with the latest software update seems to work for most people. It is a simple fifteen minute procedure.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    It's good to have you back in the forum.
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hi B4z and Hank,

Thanks for the info on the hesitation fix. Do you know what the TSB number is for the hesitation fix?

McDill, did you graduate yet? Still driving the parents' car? Good to see you're still around!
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    When was the last time you all changed the air filter?

Reason I ask is that I had mine changed at the 15K service, which I know was probably WAY overdue.

The Impala can breathe freely and I can tell. Feels like an 8 without the beautiful rumble. Torque up the wazzoo!

RR
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Good catch John. Next upgrade to edmunds needs to be a mind reading option. =)
  • I always thought the Caprice was just an upscale Impala, more chrome, trim, and luxury options. But, basically the same car.
    I think at some point it was. But I still contend that it was a dumb move in part of GM to let go of the Impala name for the Caprice, which is insipid sounding by the way.
  • Personally, I thought the 90's Caprice was way ugly. The 90's Impala SS didn't have that ugly Caprice C pillar treatment.
    is the word that to me best describes the styling of those years.

The Impala SS was certainly a much nicer looking alternative to the standard Caprice.

My carpool buddy had one of the first 91 Caprices and it felt like a barge - floaty and ponderous. The interior, however, was very comfortable.

Ken
    Those B-body cars were Grandma sedans, But dare telling that to a rabid 94-96 Impala SS sedan owner...
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I had a 93 Caprice LTZ package, car hauled butt handled great and oddly I got pretty good mileage out of it (about 23 mph combined) Lots of room and lots of steel and for the 80k miles I drove it I only had it fail on me once and that was for an alternator. Very comfortable car...
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Is there a TSB on the ISS? If so what is the number? Does anyone have the text of the TSB if it exists?

I think GM's biggest hesitation problem is their hesitation to write a TSB. Not to belittle the engine hesitation problems.