Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I knew a man who owned a Dodge Insipid!

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)
  • Options
    mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I kindof like these cars dressed up in police clothes , I like the 91 - 93 models the best (PRE - LT1 ) but like I said only in police clothes .

These cars were very popular with the cops when they came out , most of them had the 5.7 , 350 TBI V8 ( same as my 91 chevy truck ) they made about 205 hp and 300 footlbs of torque , and these were the first copcars in a while to break 130 mph barrier , top speed was usually 133 mph or so , and there acceleration numbers are about equal to the 3800 powered Impala . I would like to find about a 92 Caprice with the " 9C1 " police package , spot lights and all !

Sweetpolly , I am graduating this year , and yes I still drive the Impala .... Sometimes (~: Thanks--------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The '94 and later LT1 cars are much more desireable than the TBI cars and much quicker too.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    The original Impala SS cars that ran from 1961 to 1969 were not necessarily designated as "high perfomance cars" I sense that a few current Impala owners always considered the SS option as meaning big engine with lots of horse power. The SS option in the 60's was strictly a cosmetic option that could be purchased for a few hundred dollars (at that time). SS option added bucket seats, SS exterior and interior trim pieces and sporty wheel covers that was it! You could have ordered a 3 speed standard transmission on the steering column with the smallest 6 cylinder in line 6 in the early 60's if you wanted for the SS Impala. Most 60's Impala SS cars sold were with a small 283 or 327 V8 engine that would maybe do 0-60 in 10-11 seconds.(not much performance there) The Impala SS competed with the Ford Galaxie XL, and full size Dodge and Plymouth cars at the time.
    High performance engines were offered in all full size chevrolet lines. The base model Biscayne, Belair, and Impala, (&SS) (and 1965 Caprice onward ) Several engine options were offered throughout the 60's. You could have ordered a "409" engine in the base Biscayne model, and a small inline 6 in the Impala SS. 1965 was the high water mark with sales for Chevrolet Impala over 1 million sold, from that point on its been a slippery slope with sales dropping every year. 1967 Chevrolet tried to rejuvinate sales by offering a special Impala SS model. 1967 to 1969 offered the Impala 427 SS. Sales were low and that ended the first generation of SS cars.

The Caprice has been around since 1965. It was a luxury addition to the Impala with extra interior wood trim, chrome trimmed gas and brake pedals, different back lights, and wheel covers, and upgraded shock absorbers. It was designated as the "elegant Chevrolet", it was just strictly cosmetic.

Caprice has been called Caprice, Caprice Classic, Caprice LS, Caprice LS Brougham and a couple other variations.

1994-1996 (low mileage mint) Impala SS cars are very desirable. Especially the 1996 that has the full floor console with shifter and analog gauges.

The most expensive Impala of all time is the full size 1963 Impala Z 11. (RPO) (not an SS car) 57 were made by Chevrolet back in the late 1962 and January 1963 for those who wanted to drag race, The cars had a 427 cubic inch engine with special welded frame, aluminum hood, front fenders and rear bumpers, to cut down weight, dyno horsepower was said to be 480-525. This was a regular production order car. The cars purchased offered no radio or heater. Off the showroom floor could run the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds at 115-122 mph. (thats a fast Impala!!) A friend of mine that lives nearby has the last one made #57. 9000 original miles. Value $175,000 to $225,000 US. (the cost of 10 new Impalas!!)

Its been stated for several months that 2003 impala will just be a refreshening. Probably small change to rear lights and exterior/ interior trim. I don't believe an SS car or we would have heard of it by now. Probably 2005 or whenever the next major change is.
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Your recall matches most of my memory of those cars and years - although you are far more detailed than I could be.

One good thing about multi-year model ones with little change to body, mechanicals or electricals is better/cheaper availablity of new replacement parts. Also makes life easier for the mechanics who service them.

Furthermore, resale appeal is enhanced because a 2002 Impala looks virtually identical to a 2000.

Camry had a 5 year run with its 1997-2001 model.
    Olds Cutlass Supreme was virtually unchanged from for 7 model years 1981-1987.
    Very high volume sales on both models. Lots of those Olds are still on the road.

No reason to change a good thing if it's highly popular and selling well - like the Impala.

The current Impala design is doing very nicely and will probably continue for at least a 5 year run.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Your Caprice with the LTZ package certainly would have handled far better than the standard set-up which was pretty sloppy. I fully agree with you that a firmed up edition of that car would be excellent - and that is why the Impala SS of 94-96 did so well. I would have enjoyed that Impala or your Caprice LTZ. The standard model is another story.

Ken
  • Options
    I know that the 94 and newer caprices/impala ss are more desirable , and thats part of the reason I don't like them as much ... Its because in the world of newer Caprices thats what every body wants ... a 94 -96 model with the LT1 , thats why i like the older ones , to be " different ", Plus I like the TBI 350 a whole lot better ( belive it or not ) its extremely reliable , and very easy to work on and modify , I don't like all the technical stuff that comes with the LT1 , I would rather modify a TBI 350 , to run with a LT1 .

There are guys on Yahoos TBI club , that have 91 to 93 model 9C1 Caprices , with TBI 350's and some very average ( not internal ) mods , and they are running 0 to 60 in 7 seconds , and a 92 mph quartermile's , while still having the easy mantainance of the TBI 350 . thanks------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    but I actually liked the Caprices from 1991-95. I even come close to buying one instead of my 2001 Impala LS. I had plans to buy one and fix it up eventually. The suspension on these cars were not that great, but how many cars that size do you know of could get over 20 mpg. There was a guy who wanted to sell me a 1991 Caprice that had 168,000 miles on it for $5K. This price seemed steep to me. I knew a guy where I used to live who bought one of the dark cherry red metallic '96 Impala SS. I think his car cost him close to $35K. The Impala SS from '94-'96 were quite impressive cars. I just wish they were a little more affordable today as a used car. I have seen some of these cars still sell for $15K or more that has over 100,000 miles on them. May all have a great weekend and enjoy the latest generation of Impalas.
  • Options
    You know your stuff and I would have to agree with you on your statements about the ease of maintenance on the earlier '90's years Caprices. Cars with computer controlled engines are headaches if you are a do-it-yourselfer. Computer equipment to repair cars that have ECMs is very costly. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    I enjoyed your post. I had a 1963 Impala SS with a 283 and PowerGlide. Hardly a stellar performer. GM also offered "sleeper" cars as seen in the 1962 below.

I would only add that the transition to the 427BB was the 396, available in 1965-66.

http://www.mershons.com/view_photo.asp?ID=4523&image=Exterior

• Options
    Are very reliable. My 203,000 mile TPI motored IROC has only left me stranded twice. Bothe times it was due to faulty alternators.
    They have all kinds of limp home modes. I drove 1000 miles on a failed throttle body once.
  • Options
    blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    Took in my 2001 Impala today to have the ISS looked at. The shop foreman rode in the car with me around the parking lot listening to the clunks. He took it back to the service bay and about 10 minutes later, the service manager came out and said I was ready to go. The new ISS had been ordered and they would call me when it came in and install it for me. No lube job from my dealer. Hopefully it is a new or revised part and will last and not fail like the original did. Car has 28500 miles on it now, and after the rotors were turned, the ISS vibration became more noticeable. Those are the only two problems with the car to date. It is a great car. The Dale Earnhardt Monte on the show room floor sure was tempting though!! That is one sweet car.
  • Options
    396!! You are so right! I believe they were all 325 hp (gross horsepower) cars mostly Impalas and Caprices. Its interesting they put higher horsepower 396 engines in the lighter Chevelles at that time, and I believe the Corvette had the 396/425 hp in 1965 only. I also forgot the 348 engine from 1961. (if I only did so well remembering numbers when I was in high school!!)

I love the memories of the Impalas of the 60's but I would never want to go back!!!
  • Options
    I remember the ones in my neighborhood always had rusted fenders and bent up grills.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    My only problem with the 91-92 Caprices was that rear wheel well fender thingy...horrible, when they opened it up for the 93' year I was back in love. I didn't buy my 93 until 95' and it had 27k on it. The LTZ was the kicker for me, I had driven the others and it was very "floaty", didn't feel as though it would stick to the road. The LTZ took care of that problem and it rode like it was on rails but still a smoothe ride. I'm getting teary eyed remembering the beast...All police 91C's around here at auctions for city cop cars are natural gas and would take some work at least from what I saw.

In 1979 inspired by "the Blues Brothers" I wanted to buy an old California Highway Patrol cruiser, unfortunately they didn't leave them black and white like I wanted it.But they did have "cop tires, cop suspension and a 442 cubic inch engine that was made before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular gas..." Instead I ended up buying a 1977 AMC Hornet baby blue of all colors, wish I had bought the cop car... ahhh wasted youth!
  • Options
    >>>But they did have "cop tires, cop suspension and a 442 cubic inch engine that was made before catalytic converters so it runs good on regular gas..." <<<

Did the cigarette lighter work?
  • Options
    Did your LTZ have the 350 or 305 , going by what you said about how much power it had I was guessing it had a 350 . thanks-----------mattmcdill
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    As amatter of fact... the cigarette lighter didn't work, but it was the new Bluesmobile anyway!

Yes Matt, the 350 or 5.7L which ever you want to call it was the motor.
  • Options
    Yes, only the 1965 Corvette had the L78 396cid engine rated at 425hp. Only 2,157 were produced so it is a rare car. The 427 was introduced in 1966.

I believe you are correct that the large Chevs only got the 325hp version of the 396. I had a 1968 Chevelle and do recall that there were 325, 350 and 375hp options. The latter had solid lifters. Mine was a tepid 307/automatic.

A friend had a 1958 Chev with a 348-converted from a straight six. Strange car with three-on-the-tree. That was a very engine. All torque and no revs.

Nostalgia is fun! But I too would not go back. The one thing vivid in my memory is that those cars did not have the brakes to match the speeds they were capable of reaching!

This is my current toy.

• Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    This is a 69 Camaro my wife and I built in the early 80's.... it appeared on the cover of Car Craft june 1984 & Camaro Greats by Popular HotRodding magizine that same year.

A supercharged 468 cid chevy that pulled over 900 horsepower on an engine dyno.
    I'll see if i can find the pic of our old 67 Impala SS 427.

found the Impala pic.

• Options
    But 900hp!! Must have been quite something in the 1/4 mile. My 1979 Vette has the "high performance" L-82 option rated at 225hp (see below). The base L-48 engine in the 1979 Vette was rated at 195hp. That is less than the 3.8L Impala. So the cars of today get more hp out of 3.8L than GM could muster from 5.7L (350cid) in 1979. And the Impala pales in comparison to Japanese cars getting close to 300hp from 3.xL V6s. The world has certainly changed....But I can fix just about anything on the Vette with 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8" wrenches and sockets. My 2001 Impala is just a mystery to me. Bought a seven-year warranty for that reason.

• Options
    Nice Camaro!!. Kind of an attitude adjuster! An intimidator! It certainly couldn't qualify as a sleeper!! You're wife helped you!! My wife can't figure out where the bobbin goes on the sewing machine let alone turn wrenches on a Camaro.

I remember the 67 Impala SS 427's. Correct me if I am wrong the package came with 15" wheels large 427 numbers on the front fenders, 140 speedo and factory rated 385hp, large SS 427 badging at the front and rear, louvered hood and I guess a few other things. 1966 through 1968 Impala SS 427's are very desirable in nice shape.

I had two Impalas from the 60's. 60's Chevys started rusting out when they hit their first puddle on the way home from the dealership, floor pans and quarter panels, no galvanized steel like the current 2000-2002 Impala's. Only great memories. 2 nice rides you had there Crosley 4.
  • Options
    The 6-71 blower on my Camaro was over driven 20% faster than crankshaft speed. Boost pressure would run in the area of 18-20 psi at 7,000 rpm. As a comparision most factory forced induction setups run in the area of 5-7 pounds of boost.

Only made 3 passes at FireBird track in Chandler AZ. It ran mid 10's at 135 mph. If the chassis had been set up corrrectly the car should have run low 9's at the same mph.

I traded the Camaro for a restored 1964 Vette coupe, 327 , 4-speed. Not a numbers matching car, just a really nice driver.

The 427 emblems on the Impala were of standard size. It's hard to see in the pic I have scanned, the hood does have an injection style louver on it. The car had 3.73 gears, which were really a bit too much. A 3.31 gear would have been better. The car would lite off the tires in a heart beat.

I've been chatting with some of the Aussies I know over the internet about the GM RWD car that may be imported. It seems there is a bit of warranty work going on many of the V8 powered cars for engine problems. That may be brought on by driving habits though.....LOL

They all recommended the upgraded suspension package if the car is V8 powered. Seems the standard suspension is a bit soft, mayb us Americans will like them soft though. Time will tell.
  • Options
    baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    We want to read your wife's comment about your post 7875...! ;-)
  • Options
    This is a vehicle i have been looking at to replace my impala.

http://www.85merk.com/vehicles/marauder/

• Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Has anyone replaced their tail light bulbs with LED ones? I am working on a sequential turn signal/stop lamp conversion for the Impala and I need to replace the stock 3057 bulb with a LED one. APC makes a bulb (funny that it's not listed on their website) but they are $24.95 each. I found another site that sells a no-brand pair for $24.80. Anyone know of any reputable suppliers?
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Heh heh heh. Remember how some of us complained about getting zapped when getting out of the car? Check out this product. I doubt that it really works, but it's pretty funny.

http://www.xtremewhite.com/AutoAcc-auto~accessories-1-Static~Electricity~Release~antenna-1-1-1-1-1.cfm

• Options
    It had to happen. I have been holding my breath hoping my impala would be trouble free for a little while longer. But the first mechanical gremlin has happened.
    Last month i posted about a
    antifreeze smell outside the car. I couldn't find a leak so i waited to see what would happen.
    Today at the drive thru i noticed that the temp was slightly above the middle hash mark. It has never gone above the middle hash mark.
    I opeened the hodd and notice the overfill tank was down a little and there appears to be a coolant leak at the water pump.
    Also, to add insult to injury the low tire pressure light came on today and i have a slow leak in the right front tire. I hope it is not flat in the morning.
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    MY check engine light came on and my stomach hurt. I turned the car on and off a few times and nothing. I quickly read the manual and it said to check the gas cap(then I remembered the forum about this issue), I did and yes it was unlocked for some reason I must have put it on wrong. I tightened and a few turn offs/ons later no light!!

Hey Crosley your not "The Crosley" are you? Cartoons Fame...........
  • Options
    I remember seeing that Camaro in that Popular HotRodding magazine when I was fourteen years old. That was a nice car. How much did it cost to build that car over all if you don't mind me asking? That had some serious equipment on it.
  • Options
    i remember that car too. sweet. I wonder where it is now?
  • Options
    Took the impala in this morning. They will be looking at the coolant leak, tire rotation and oil change.
    i will keep you guys updated.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Got the 5 spoke aluminum rims, if interested email me at impala@cox.net
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
  • Options
    emtbemtb Member Posts: 42
    Hi everyone. I have a 2002 base model Impala, brand new. Love it. Put 3200 miles on it since December 19th. :) I'm planning on installing a couple things in it, such as my fire lights and what not, and have a question on the airbag deployment. Does anyone know how high the dashboard lifts up when the airbag deploys? I'm looking at installing a dashlaser on the dash, but if the airbag is going to send it flying through the cabin, that would probably be a bad thing (tm). So, if anyone here has committed the sin of deploying their airbags, please, let me know. Thanks. :)

-Andrew
  • Options
    The dash doesn't lift up, just the area over the
    glovebox directly in front of the passenger seat.
    Put it in the middle of the dash and it will be fine.
  • Options
    The coolant leak was not in the area around the water pump but the near the throttle body.
    They replaced the upper manifold base which is what the throttle body bolts to.
    I took the car there at 9 this morning and it was ready at 2 pm, including all the other stuff.
    Pretty darn good. Hope they fixed it right.
    I got 8 months and 14.5K out of the car before it needed warranty work. My personal record for a Chevrolet product. Still like the car.
  • Options
    I have worked on several these at work .

The upper intake manifold is a composite plastic material , and it bolts to a aluminum lower intake manifold , both peices are very " free flowing " , and are easier to work on than you think .

The problem we run into at work with these , is mainly on the 96 and 97 model 3800 series 2 , The car will usually be towed in , and it appears the engine is locked up or the starter is bad , when it reality , the motor ( intake chambers ) are full of water , how this happens is , where the throttle body bolts to the intake , there are two water lines that go thru the intake right by the throttle body , so water circulates thru a short part of the composite part of the intake, right by these water lines the EGR valve sits , and from the EGR valve there it a metal tube that goes into the composite part of the intake , right by the water passages , hot exaust passes thru the EGR valve tube into the intake , so after a few years of heat , this composite material breaks down, and rots into the water passages , and when this happens , it automaticly allows water ( antifreeze ) to enter the dry part of the intake , therefore this explains how the motor seems locked up , all the water in there .

We have done about 5 of these since spring of 01 , all were 96 and 97 modle cars , hopefully GM has redesigned the flaw by now . thanks-------------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    I spent about $14,000 in 1980's dollars on the ProStreet Camaro.

My wife and I did most of the work. Some close friends did some machine work and welding for me.

Glad to hear ppl still remember the car.

We built a 1970 Chevelle after that Camaro. I converted the Chevelle to FWD with Toronado parts.

Tony
  • Options
    heavenboundheavenbound Member Posts: 39
    I sent an e-mail to the customer service center stating my concerns about the ISS and the long term issue of it becoming a maintenance item. They opened a file and stated that they wanted more information.

The customer service center phone # is 1-800-222-1020.

I just called them and they stated the lube kit is supposed to be a permanent fix but since I called and opened a file stating my concerns if it has a problem after the warranty is up they should take care of it.
  • Options
    jerseyimpalajerseyimpala Member Posts: 12
    I have a few storage questions. I will be long-term steet storing my impala since I am relocating. Are there any special needs that I should take care of in-order to go about this? I will be getting an oil change just prior to storage and will be keeping it covered under lock and key. Probably will sit a month or two without being driven and then only be driven for a weekend and return to its temporary resting home. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but I would suggest:
    -Add a high quality fuel system cleaner like Techron to the fuel tank to prevent condensation and icing, and to remove deposits.
    -Make sure all of your fluids are full and clean.
    -Over-inflate your tires to avoid flat spots.
    -Make sure the brake rotors are dry before storage, or they may rust.
    -Drive it right up to the last possible moment, to flow all those clean, full fluids and Techron throughtout the engine and systems.
    -Cycle through all door locks and windows. Open and close all doors, trunk, hood, to work the hinges.
    -Moisterize all weather stripping to keep them from drying and sticking to the door frames. I believe Nathan posted something about stuck doors/weatherstripping on his web page.

Have a good move. I hope you're going to a warmer climate! I did, and it's nice to be able to drive with the top down in January and February!
  • Options
    What car models has this happened on that you have been working on at work that have the 3800 engine? I ask because my brother-in-law's car has a 3800 engine in it. It is a Buick Lesabre. Not sure about what year model it is, but it is close to the years you listed, I think. Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    Well the only cases have been on the series II which came out in 1995 , because this was the first year for this type of intake design , the most recent cars have been a 1996 Oldmobile 98 , and a 1997 Buick Park Avenue .
    I know that none of them have been over a 97 modle . It is a very "interesting" problem . thanks-----------mattmcdill
  • Options
    elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Looking for comments from 2001 & 2002 owners...what do you like about the car, dislike, etc.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Mine is very shiny. I like that.
  • Options
    I guess the comments of those of us who own a 2000 with 80,000 miles and NO unscheduled maintenance are not needed or helpful? :) (did get a brake job at 78,000 and tune-up) :)
  • Options
    Have you met Teo? You guys have a lot in common.
  • Options
    Is HE considering buying a Mercury Marauder, too?

john cline ii who just had to! :)