Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Corvette Z06...hmmmmmmmmm
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    and my car seems to run better>>....go figure.... I also noticed this while wiping down the engine bay....if you look on the 3.8 at the left rear of the plastic engine cover (you can find it with or without the engine cover in place)there is a plug that just hangs there...it has a moisture rubber boot around the back of the blue & white plug, it just hangs there and is bundled with a few other wires, I was alarmed at first and couldn't find any place for it to plug into, so I left it be.....while I was at the car show, they had a Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo (3.8 also) with the Hood open sitting there, I put my hand behind the plastic engine cover on the left side facing the engine,fumbled the collection of wires there and VIOLA" the same un-plugged plug...anyone know what this is for? or why it would have a moisture boot on it?(the moisture boot is to protect it while it is "Plugged into something",as it is, the metal contacts are exposed) must be for some accessory? or diagnostic? I Don't know, But...you can find it on your 3.8 V6 too..... Don
  • impaladimpalad Member Posts: 38
    If you like those new rims, buy some thru the same guy I got mine from. Its a shop that sells them on ebay sometimes. For less than $500 for all 4, its an awesome deal considering each is $300 from the dealer. I had to buy the caps seperate from the dealer, & got those discounted b/c the parts guy thought I work for a shop since I was wearing coveralls. Discounted wheels & discounted caps, I was saving some bucks, let me tell ya. Yaw'll post if you want that shops info. :-D
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Sounds like you are describing the engine block heater. If thats what you mean it can be unravaled and plugged into a house receptacle. Its to keep the engine block warm in extremely cold weather if you are parked for extended time or over night. Warm Starting is less stressfull on the engine then a dead cold start. Also easier on the battery trying to turn over a cold engine. and your heater will heat your interior quicker. Its usually better to use a long 14 gauge extension cord and run it under the hood and plug it in rather then unraveling all the excess cord in the bundle. If you are describing something else I don't know what that would be. I will look at mine tomorrow.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I have seen it before when under the hood of our car , Its definatly not a engine block heater , I really don't know what it is .... BUT I will find out . thanks----------mattmcdill
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    my K&N filter yesterday after only 30k of use. They say 50-100k unless it is dusty conditions and I live in a area that is considered dusty. I just bopped it a couple of times against the trash can and I couldn't believe what fell out of it. Followed all the directions to do the recharge and I noticed on a fill up today that the first 2 gallons gave me almost 28 mpg, I had been getting closer to 24 previously. So if you feel like you're not getting good mileage, try changing or cleaning your air filter and see what happens.
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    Did my fuel filter Saturday. Saved $48. I have noticed the same unconnected plug on mine also. Could it be that the electrical wiring is the same on both the 3.8 and 3.4 (or whatever the other size is) and maybe this plug is used on the other motor? Just a guess. I bought a Magnetic hood bra last week off eBay for 35$. Looks really good in the pics. Can't wait to get it. Will let you all know how it installs.

Brett.....
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Where is the fuel filter located at? And how often should it be replaced?
    I geuss I should say it is a "Connecter" at the end of a wire, Plug is not a good description for this small Connector.

The Fuel Filter is located just foward of the drivers side rear tire under the car, You have to get 2 wrenches, one to hold the bolt shaped edge of the Filter (actually holds the filter in place so you can turn the nut on the fuel line out of it) while the other one turns the bolt/nut on the fuel line "Counter Clockwise" to loosen it, the other end has a Plastic clip you can pinch to release, Be sure to take off the Fuel Cap to relieve some pressure in the fuel line before you start,(Not much pressure, just a dribble of gas that you want to be very careful around and have a rag or towel there to catch it and wrap the old filer in until you can dispose of it, because some will come out of the old filter) Also after I took the fuel line off both ends of the Filter,I took the bolt out of the bracket that holds the filter to the underbody, put the new filter in the bracket, put the bracket in place, replaced the bracket bolt, tightened the scew side of the fuel line,clipped on the clip side of the fuel line, tightened the fuel cap then turned the ignition a few times to get the fuel pump to shoot a shot of gas and get some pressure, about 3 times, turned the key the rest of the way and it started right up, I then checked the connections for any leaks and there were none, I read in a GM Manual that there is no cycle for changing the Fuel Filter, just replace when it is clogged, I'd say every 15k miles, My car really runs better ever since... Don
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    Yes, My service Rep. said 15,000 miles between replacements.
    Brett.
    I put enough money to the side to put on a dual catback exhaust system or a cold air intake. What do you guys suggest? I plan on adding a stage 4 trottle body in the future also.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Aye Carumba!

It all makes sense. Don, reading your explanation of replacing the fuel filter and how the car runs better turned on a light in my head.

I had the 15K mile service done a couple of weeks ago. After which I posted how the car has better pickup and runs better. That 15K maintenance included the oil, air and fuel filters, and tire rotation.

Highly recommend the service, everybody.

RR
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Hey gang, I was asked to post these pics here...lemme know what y'all think...

Think it's something GM should consider?

Hessitation around 45-50 mph I thought it was the transmission shifting funny, I would notice it off and on, but it was just a perky thing, I took out my K&N Filter, and replaced the Original Paper Filter, Changed the Fuel Filter, an tonite I am filling up with some Premium Fuel for a change, It really shifts and drives better, I cannot get that "chuggle" from the transmission now at 45 mph...I think my fuel filter was clogged or just a bit dirty, I changed one in a 1989 Grand Prix along about 1994 and it was the orignial Fuel Filter and it weighed about a pound~ it was that dirty//// Don
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Andre - I'll take one of each!!!!!

Those tail lights are exactly as I've imagined them as a triple light set. Great job on the coupe too!

Ken
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I dont like it. :( Sorry but I love the tail lights just the way they are. :)
    I would keep the original tailights and just incorporate a brake light with the backuplight or move the backup light onto the bumper????
    but it appears that the rear deck lid (trunk) is lower as well, I don't think it is just the light change set up, and of course a couple. I like it though, it does appear lower in back, anyone else see that or am I just imagining it?
    Yea,, The wrap around part of the taillights looks a bit funky too..... Don
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I kinda like the rear treatment in the pics. Better looking than the LS Sport's rear. The idea of a coupe is cool. Stick a blown 8 in there and where do I sign up? HA!

RR
  • bige1133bige1133 Member Posts: 7
    If done right, a custom dual catback will free up the choked stock exhaust and sound tough. But a cold air induction setup (with K&N filter) would be your best bet. Motorsports Performance has one for the 3.8 Grand Prix. I e-mailed them about it fitting the Impala. They said they were evaluating it and they will post it on their web site soon. They claim some very impressive HP gains with it. I will buy this setup when they say it will fit the Impala. With your future larger throttle body, you should boost HP significantly. Then there's always a blower...
    Where do i get the blower from???
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    By now someone should know if there are any significant changes for 2003.

Come on, guys and gals. Spill it!:)

Any significant changes? Engines? Interior-wise?

How long before a V-8 or supercharged? Must we wait for the next bodystyle first?
    For 2003 expect a mid life product cycle "refresh" of the Impala. Perhaps you'll see changes around the black exterior molding, headlights and grille design. Probably the interior will be upgraded to a 3 spoke steering wheel (Like the one in the Montecarlo), full instrumentation package including Volt and Oil Pressure gauges, redesigned Dashboard and door panels and perhaps the availability of electronic climate controls and Monsoon/Bose stereo options.

Perhaps the 3800 Supercharged V6 engine will make its dayview on the LS Sport or SS variants. Perhaps the Impala LS will receive a higher output 3800 producing as much as 230HP.

I personally doubt we will see the 5.7L V8 engine on the current FWD Impala. Torque steer is a definite problem with this setup. Once you pass the 240HP barrier with a FWD car without a good torque control system such as Torsen (The one found in the current 255HP Maxima) then forget about it.

Impala is scheduled to go back to RWD in the 2005 or 2006 model year with looks of cool and modern retro design touches.

Also, Bob Lutz is currently in Australia studying the possibility of bringing to North America the acclaimed Holden Commodore SS (Which essentially is a Cadillac Catera with a V8 engine)with the 5.7L "Generation III" V8 engine, RWD and a 6-speed manual. The Holden Commodore SS (Opel Omega spinoff) is also sold in South Africa as the Chevrolet Lumina SS sedan.

If the Holden Commodore SS makes it here within the next couple of years, I might forgo getting a new BMW 3 series for my next car and trade the Impala on the Commodore SS.

We shall see, the future of short term upcoming GM products looks very promising.

For more info on the Holden Commodore SS, see:

www.holden.au

www.gm.com
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Teo -
    What you wrote about changes for the 2003 Impala - was that your personal opinion of what is to be or something you gleaned from a trade magazine?

You have a habit of stating your personal opinions - inadvertently or otherwise - as though they were facts.
    "Also, Bob Lutz is currently in Australia studying the possibility of bringing to North America the acclaimed Holden Commodore SS (Which essentially is a Cadillac Catera with a V8 engine)with the 5.7L "Generation III" V8 engine, RWD and a 6-speed manual. The Holden Commodore SS (Opel Omega spinoff) is also sold in South Africa as the Chevrolet Lumina SS sedan."

This came up in the latest edition of Autoweek magazine, which I happen to suscribe to.

"For 2003 expect a mid life product cycle "refresh" of the Impala. Perhaps you'll see changes around the black exterior molding, headlights and grille design. Probably the interior will be upgraded to a 3 spoke steering wheel (Like the one in the Montecarlo), full instrumentation package including Volt and Oil Pressure gauges, redesigned Dashboard and door panels and perhaps the availability of electronic climate controls and Monsoon/Bose stereo options."

According to Edmunds.com, Motor Trend and Car Connection, both Impala and Montecarlo are due up for a product midlife update for the 2003 model year. The other things mentioned there are speculative on my part but not out of the scope of reality.

"Perhaps the 3800 Supercharged V6 engine will make its dayview on the LS Sport or SS variants. Perhaps the Impala LS will receive a higher output 3800 producing as much as 230HP."

Again speculative but some independent news sources believe that if GM is to produce the Impala SS this car will likely have the 3800 S/C variant of this engine. As per Automotivenews.com, GM has announced a new generation of updated V6 pushrod and cammed engines to be launched during the 2004 or 2005 model years. Actually, expect the 3800 (Or similar) to have a series III variant in NA mode developing 230HP.

"personally doubt we will see the 5.7L V8 engine on the current FWD Impala. Torque steer is a definite problem with this setup. Once you pass the 240HP barrier with a FWD car without a good torque control system such as Torsen (The one found in the current 255HP Maxima) then forget about it."

GM announced in late 2000 that the V8 FWD powered Impala project was dead citing problems with Torque Steer. FWD is not the best setup for a V8 powered 300HP+ vehicle. However the advent of the 2003 Mercury Marauder will force Lutz and GM to re-evaluate the Impala SS V8 sedan once again..

"Impala is scheduled to go back to RWD in the 2005 or 2006 model year with looks of cool and modern retro design touches."

Per Automotivenews.com, the Impala is scheduled to be redesigned and move to the next generation "Mid-Lux" platform in the 2005 or 2006 model years. There is a possibility of a RWD setup and a V8 powerplant offered.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I've been working on a mod to the rear taillight assembly. I wanted a three light setup similar to Andre created so I could incorporate a sequential blinker. I already designed the circuit and did a partial mockup. However, one of the problems I have run into is that the trunk mounted panel is glued together. The area around the reverse light has a reflector-like area behind it so mounting LEDs in there is an option. I may just fabricate a new panel rather than try and modify the existing one. I'm open to suggestions?
    If you go with the catback, you might want to look into replacing the U-bend in the exhaust pipe just before the cat. I think that's the biggest restriction in the system.
    Nathan, you mentioned something about finding a rust spot in your car....do you have any details?
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Quotes and attributions really help sort things out. It's nice to know whose crystal ball we're using to view the future.
    Thank you.
    a PCV Valve? While I was in the store I checked the book and it said the Impala uses a certain PCV Valve, I bought one for $1.98 but cannot find where it goes in the engine??? Usually they go right into the Valve Cover.,.,I checked both Valve Covers and no PCV Valve? Anyone Know whats' up?? Don
    taken that u-bend out of the exhaust? I know that there is an o-2 sensor there that would prohibit it from being just replaced with a straight pipe. I have a flowmaster series 50 on my LS and I too feel that the flow is restricted by that bend. I'm wondering about putting in the straight pipe and locating the O-2 sensor someplace else close by. Anyone do that yet?
    I'll try and work on that update tonight and you can see the photos.
    All you need to do is remove the O2 sensor and cut out the u-bend. Then replace with a straight pipe with a bung welded in for the O2 sensor. So you end up reorientating the sensor by 90 degrees.

The Grand Prix store carries a pre-fabricated pipe for $65. There is a direct link to it on my Accessories page that has a photo of the existing pipe and an "after" photo of the replacement section.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    You really don't want to open your exaust up too much , because then you will lose back pressure , and you need back pressure for lowend torque , If I was going to make any mod to the exaust , it would be the U shaped bend , I would'nt touch the muffler , unless you want it louder .

The PVC valve is located in the upper intake manifold , I beleive it is on the passenger side . thanks---------mattmcdill
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Please, don't take offense anyone, but I'm confused about all the "MODS" that many talk about doing to their automobiles. I don't understand the point. Changing this, adding that, modifying the other.... why? What's wrong with leaving your auto the way it is? If you want ultra-high performance, buy an ultra-high performance car. If you want something that has a sound system that will rival a live concert, buy an auto with one of those 200-watt BOSE 12-speaker systems.

Please, someone, enlighten me on why you spend so much time (and money) making your new car something that it wasn't meant to be.
    First, car modification goes back for years. It's not a new concept.
    Second, if I could afford an ultra-high performance car, I would have purchased it.
    Third, I enjoy working on my car.
    Fourth, the manufacturer design the car to meet certain requirements. They back the power down to meet emissions, insurance concerns, etc.
    Fifth, automakers build cars to appeal to the lowest common denominator. If I wanted an Impala with a bench seat and the LS package but with the steel police wheels, do you think I could get it from the factory that way? To use your example, what if the only car that comes factory equipped with a 12 speaker BOSE setup is a Hummer, but you want a 2 door sports car. So would you buy the Hummer, buy the sports car and "live with it" or buy the sports car and install the sound system you want?

The list goes on and on. There is nothing wrong with keeping your car stock. But there is a huge aftermarket industry out there. And it's there for a reason.
  • bige1133bige1133 Member Posts: 7
    There is not a direct bolt on blower for the Impala as yet that I know of. But check out www.impalahq.com You'll find someone who bolted on an Eaton M90 blower to his LS. It was a lot of work but the results are surely worth it. I'll probably wait for an aftermarket kit.
  • cgn49cgn49 Member Posts: 4
    well i was going to come back to GM and buy an Impala Ls and i will; except i was waiting and am for the economy to settle up and now i see that an 03 change is in the works; maybe an ss coming?
    not to be a moron about this; but should i buy an 02/ or wait til clarification of 03 stuff is out.
    For 2002 you can get $2002 rebate and 5.9% financing with GMAC if you qualify.

The 2003 Impalas will not be available until August or September 2002.

It is up to you. :)
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Trasher supercharged MC. A lot of parts need to be beefed up. Not only engine and transmission, but also CV joints / half shafts, radiator, fuel pump, fuel lines, wiring harness, and different "brackets and assemblies".

http://www.thrasher-ep.com/Monte_Carlo_htm/monte_carlo.shtm

I looked all over the top of the engine with a neon shop light and cannot find it, all I see ging into the engine are the Fuel Injectors. Also, I spotted the Power Steering canister, wow it that thing in an out of the way spot...Can you be more specific on the PCV location? Maybe this is a tip/Trick for the How To Page on Nathan's Site??? Thanks in Advance Don
    Took my baby to the shop to get an exhaust system done. They're gonna get rid of the U-bend, and the resonator. The guy told me he was gonna run a 2 1/2" pipe from the CAT and have a Y right by the spare tire dip, then it goes to 2 dynomax mufflers and tips. $530 for the whole setup. I just hope they wont screw anything up and this is for the best of the car.
    Chris
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    Check your warranty book before you go through with this job.
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    Since the invention of the PCV Valve (POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION) back in the fifties, they have always connected right into the top of one of the engine valve covers via a rubber grommet. A small hose will come off the PCV valve to route the crankcase gasses collected in the upper valve chamber back into the induction system to be burned with the incoming fuel/air mixture. To check whether the PCV valve is functioning, just remove it from the grommet and shake it. There is a small metal ball inside that should rattle around and move freely. As long you can hear it moving there is no need to replace the valve. They don't wear out; they generally just gum up after a few years.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    ISS was replaced on Monday at 28,000 miles. Steering is much better now, firm and feels like new. Hope it lasts.....
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    I dug out my '00 shop manuals, and they make absolutely ZERO reference to a PCV valve in the 3.8 Engine section. They do use one mounted on the left valve cover of the 3.4 engine, however.

I thought ALL engines used PCVs ever since the beginning of emission control, but I guess I was mistaken...
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I don't know when they were introduced, but American cars didn't start getting them until 1968. It was a government mandate, so unless modern technology has found something better to replace the PCV valve, all cars today have them. Traditionally, they're on the valve cover, and just pop in, but some newer designs instead screw into the air intake. I had to hunt around to find the one on my Intrepid, which screws in sideways, into the plastic air intake at the top of the engine. The 3.8 Impala may be similar.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Our 1964 Plymouth Belvedere had a PCV valve. So it was earlier than 1968.
  • My XJS doesn't have one either. Apparently it's possible to recirculate those vapors without one.

I get to save $1.98 each year ($3.96 for both cars). So, I got that going for me, which is nice.