Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    "I told the service rep to look into a slight sound coming from the RPM indicator (kinda like a grinding noise barely heard) They're gonna have to ship out the whole instrument cluster to get repaired at a different location. (they wont replace it for some reason) Anyone have that noise?"

I also have it they said it was normal and that all impalas made the noise. They said is was water going through hoses on the firewall. Did not fix though. Still have it, when you rev the engine and then the noise winds down with the engine rpm.
  • dennisw3dennisw3 Member Posts: 17
    I know we can't *sell* things in this forum, but if anyone is looking for a set of full wheel covers (2000/2002 Impala, obviously) you might want to check out this eBay page

(cut and paste this and remove the spaces)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=1813761612&r=0&t=0&showTutorial =0&ed=1016999360&indexURL=0&rd=1

• duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    I was wondering when someone would finally comment on that beast.

File that one under "When good cars go bad"
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    to the dealer last week when they changed out my hubcaps, they said they heard it and would need more time to investigate...To me it sounds like the speedometer cable making noise, it only makes this noise while the car is moving, and it is the same at 1 mph as it is at 65 mph, not a vibration in other words but something moving/spinning while the car moves, and it does not vary in loudness, the same as long as the car is moving,and nothing while the car is stopped...A/C fan off etc... I think it is the Spedo cable, it is coming from the dash, almost in the center,may be wrong but I am baffled? this is on my 2001 base w/ 5k miles Don
    The Orange Chromish "Wrapper" on those big Chocolate Oranges that they sell around Easter time, you know the ones that split into Chocolate Sections like an orange, But are solid Chocolate.. Don
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Mmmmm...Terry's Chocolate Orange. I wonder if that Impala splits into sections if you whack it on the counter?

I don't think there is such a thing as a speedo cable in the Impala. It's all electronic. If you pull out the instrument cluster I bet you'll only find electrical contacts - no cable.
  • bige1133bige1133 Member Posts: 7
    Modern cars don't use speedometer cables so your noise must be coming from something else. Cars now use electronic sensors in the transaxle.
    Ahhh Haaa! that explains why they want me to drop off the car so they can get in there and look around all day, a friend had a '87 Mustang GT Convertible and the Spedo Cable was super loud, first thing I thought of...my noise is not loud, but is only present when the car is moving ever slightly or fast or whenever,it never changes tone or speed....when I listen while braking to a stop I hear something in the dash all the way until I stop? and it is always there, that is a good help in trying to find the sourse ...Who knows? Thanks Don
  • Maybe the noise is coming from the engine bay, but you're only hearing it through the dash/firewall.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    On the "water going through the hoses" noise, my Impala did that a few months ago - I checked, and I was low on coolant. Once I topped off the coolant to the proper level, the noise stopped. If yours is still doing that, check your coolant level. Mine wasn't low enough to trigger the "low coolant" light, but visually it was quite a ways below the "full hot" line on the resevior.

I noticed mine first thing in the morning as I was backing out of the garage, but didn't hear anything while driving down the road at speed.
    Ahhh Haaa! that explains why they want me to drop off the car so they can get in there and look around all day, a friend had a '87 Mustang GT Convertible and the Spedo Cable was super loud, first thing I thought of...my noise is not loud, but is only present when the car is moving ever slightly or fast or whenever,it never changes tone or speed....when I listen while braking to a stop I hear something in the dash all the way until I stop? and it is always there, that is a good help in trying to find the sourse ...Who knows? Thanks Don
    I know plastic creaking noises,this is not that,this as I said strange, I would try to look myself, but not knowing where the clips are I would end up breaking something, seems things are all clips until you get to that stupid screw that you do not know is there and end up breaking something when you pull on it, Like that piece on top of the dashboard, on my LS I got it halfway up and it wouldn't budge on the drivers side, and I could see on the metal clips that some of them attatched to the panel slipped out of the clip and the clip stayed in place,(That was not supposed to happen) I hate playing with plastic trim...How do you succesfully remove that dash panel just below the windsheild, I had a heck of a time.. I did manage to get some GM Lube on the clips and it helped that snapping every once and a while..like a rock hitting the windsheild... Don
    The A/C Fan is off....(Dumb question)ha ha... anyway it is I geuss you could say a Humm, It really sounds like something humming like something would if it were bound up, as I said only when the car is "Moving", and it does not increase in loudness or speed, just a drone that you can plainly hear, My selling dealer heard it and they are Deaf....to every other issue I bring up..AMP,Brake Noises etc etc.. Ha Don
  • Hey. You're the owner of that orange tricked out boy racer, aren't you?
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I just drove my 2001 LS to see if I can hear what you are explaining regarding a humming noise. I didnt hear a thing. I just had an issue regarding a squeak noise which seemed was coming from the center of my dashboard. The slightest bump in the road you would hear a squeak come from the center of the dashboard directly under the heat controls. I took the steering wheel and brought it all the way down holding the tilt handle to let the wheel go all the way up on its own without me stopping it, and that would re create the noise. I found the problem coming from the plastic screw that secures the center console to the dasboard right directly near the accelerator pedal. The squeak would come from that screw. I dont play with plastic push in pull out screws so I took it to the dealer. They removed the plastic screw, then they placed a piece of rubber behind the console wall around where the screw would be then put a new screw in the assembly to secure the console wall to the dash. All is fine now. No more squeak even on the biggest bumps. :)
  • cyyzcyyz Member Posts: 37
    I went to the dealer way back around 11,000km to replace the front side clearance/turn signal lamp and I was surprised that he said he would cover it under warranty. I had intended to pay but went to the service centre side since it was raining that day and I figured they could help me install it. They also later replaced my wiper blades under warranty as well. The caveat was that they'd only do it once. Perhaps since the car was fairly new, they considered them warranty items. Either way, I was quite happy with the service and also not being out of pocket despite these items not being expensive.
  • impalay2k_mimpalay2k_m Member Posts: 10
    Overall i am pretty satisfied with my 2000 Impala LS..but recently, the interior trim is really buggin me!!

Lately, everytime I go over bumps or rough patches of road the door panel trim on all of the doors seems to have popping/cracking/snapping sounds.

I notice this the most during cold days..and when the cabin of the car starts to warm up, it is like I am eating rice krispy...snap/crackle/pop!!

It is like the plastics are contracting and expanding or something of that nature.

There is also this annoying rattle sound from right behind the drivers seat near the sunroof. But it is hard to isolate these problems when i bring it to the dealer!!

Can anybody offer solutions/fixes I can do at home? I doubt the dealer will spend a lot of time diagnosing these issues.

As for the rpm gauge needle making noises I had the same problem before! THe dealer order a replacement dash cluster, and replaced it. I haven't heard that noise since!

The noises I heard from the rpm needle was most noticeable when the car was when i put the car from park to drive..and i heard like a 'grinding/buzzing' noise
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Okay, the noise I'm getting from the dash only happens when i start the car and RPM indicator resets and when I step on the gas pedal and let go. It sounds like 2 plastic gears rubbing on each other while the RPM indicator decreases. I think the nooise is coming from whatever makes that RPM needle turn.

Chris
  • edl79edl79 Member Posts: 14
    My 17 month-old 2001 base/3.8 just hit 31,000 miles. Have had only one problem. At 28,000 it had a very small coolant leak.
    Dripped down the back side of the block. Dealer replaced a gasket on the intake manifold. The tech said it's a plastic gasket and they've had a few with leaks.

It's a great car. Probably 70% highway miles and it is as tight and handles just as well as when it was new. The brakes are still good and have 50% left. The tires look great. They are noisy on concrete
    roads but are fine on asphalt where I do most of the driving.

At 30,000 had the coolant and trans fluid changed and also fuel filter and pcv valve. I didn't notice anything different when the fuel filter was replaced at 15k but at 30k I could feel it.
    Love the sound and response of the 3.8L.

I have a friend with a 2000 Honda Accord 4-cyl and it doesn't compare to the Impala. Ride isn't as good, wind noise and flimsy metal.

BTW, my dealer went chapter-11 a month ago. It's the oldest Chevy franchise in the country - I think the article said since 1914.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Sounds like you upper manifold base needs to be replaced. I just had mine done.
    Did you have the same coolant leak problem ?
    Why did they replace the upper manifold base ?
    It's not leaking after the gasket was replaced.
    in my LS, How do you remove that thin plastic strip under the windshelid?(I got it half way but couldn't get the drivers side to pop up) Does the main part of the dash lift up easily? Clam Shell part(Such as when the psgr airbag deploys) seems it would be easier to remove than prying against the softer big part to get the hard part up and out.. anyone done this? I am off this weekend and will try and figure it out, I remember seeing pics of someone who relocated their head unit radio and had the dash apart a long time ago..anyone remember who that was? or where the pics are posted? thanks Don
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I wouldn't mess with interior plastic trim, but that's me.
    I thought it was you who said the clips under that plastic strip would benefit from a little lube? might be wrong....I agree as I personally HATE Plastic trim, they should make interiors out of Rubber.... Don
    I smelled coolant for several months on and off.
    I checked the overflow tank and noticed it was down a little and the temp guage was a few degrees higher than normal.
    I initially though it was the waterpump.
    I took it into the dealership without a appointment and they called me 5 hours later and said the car was done.
    The upper manifold base is plastic and tends to warp. A gasket would not have helped.
    The fact that they did the job so quickly leads me to believe that they had the part in stock. SO it must happen with some regularity for them to keep the part in stock.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I pulled off the engine cover when I was doing the PCV article and I didn't see any coolant.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Just a reminder that the Town Hall chat is on for Wednesday evening (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). Hope you can join in this week to meet and greet with your fellow Town Hall users and have a little fun with The Return of Car Trivia!

Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks for the info.
    I'll have to check with the service dept to see
    what they did exactly. I think the service order
    just says the problem and warranty repair.
    Hope they didn't just replace a gasket.
  • spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I have a coolant leak in my 2000 ls, I haven't had it checked yet, but I have added dex-cool twice when the check coolant level came on. I have to get it in to the dealer... Has anyone had this problem out of warranty??? How much did it cost to fix?
    Anti-Freeze smells or leaks in 26k on my 2000 LS, I did however have an Oil "seeping" rear Valve Cover Gasket on my 3.8, replaced under warranty @ 25,800 miles. other than that the engine has been great, and Dry/// Don
  • >>>they should make interiors out of Rubber...<<<

They should make interiors out of leather...and wood.
    They do use Leather and Wood.....Only it is horribly Fake....I think the last generation Taurus '96-99 had some Rubbermaid Door panels... Don
  • Ah yes. Genuine faux wood. The leather is leather though. I'm not sure what part of what animal it comes from. Mine feels like elephant. (It's the same color, too.)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Leather - Don't know about the Impala specifically, but note that leather seats are generally referred to as "leather seating surfaces" in auto literature, which allows the manufacturer the fudge room to use vinyl on "non-seating surfaces", like the backs of the seats, the fronts of the seats, etc. Odds are, anywhere other than the portion of the seat you sit on and lean back against is vinyl.

Coolant - I've noticed a coolant smell pretty regularly for the past few months, but have only topped off my coolant once. Having just hit 34k miles, I think I may take mine in and have it checked in the next week or so just in case, while I've still got some warranty left.
    Looks like we may have a new "issue" to look out for in the 3800 equipped impala. I wonder if the regal or grand prix posters are having the same problem?
    Does anybody know how long GM has been using the plastic upper manifold bases?
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    "Leather seating surfaces" are pretty common in most cars and I have no problem with that.

My Impala is my first car with leather and I don't particularly like it but the 2000 fabric was so thin and ugly, I didn't have much choice.

Incidentally, "leather seating surfaces" are even common on leather recliners for the home that cost $1000 or so.
    Does anyone remeber when this first came up?
    Anyone?.....Anyone?..... Bueller?
    Nissan was the first to get sued.
    A customer bought a 300ZX and discovered that all of the seat was not leather. There was a lot of vinyl on that seat.
    He sued Nissan and won!
    Good for him.
    I think it was around 1985-86.
    Ever since then manufacturers have been very careful about how they tout leather.
    Yeah the cloth is definetely not the greatest on the LS model, but the leather was not impressive either for the additional $600.00. I just cringe to think about how the leather seats in these cars will look like 4 or 5 years down the road.

Also leather is a bad idea in hot, muggy climates. Cloth is the better choice at least for me.

The only other advantage of leather is ease of maintenance in terms of cleaning spills, etc.

At least I avoid eating messy foods in the car. LOL
    My Acura's 2.5TL leather started to crease, fold and peel on the driver's seat horribly after 3 years of use. The leather wrapped steering wheel also peeled and had to be dyed twice under Acura warranty. The leather was better than the one in the Impala, but still pretty lackluster for a premium $30K Japanese import.

Cloth might not be the most luxurious looking thing, but it is practical and more comfortable in hot weather.

If you ever want to see a domestic car with a very well done cloth interior, climb next time in a new Ford Taurus. Really nice fabric quality and beats the Impala's cloth fabrics by a million miles. That's about the only area where the Taurus can claim to be better than the Impala and it is the interior. The rest, pretty much run of the mill.
  • BRING BACK VELOUR!
    According to GMPowertrain.com, the upper and lower intake manifold in the 3800 Series II V6 (L36) is made of Cast Alluminum. Are we taking about the same engine part?
    "BRING BACK VELOUR!"

I taught you were in love with your Connolly scented rich Corinthian leather...guess NOT!
    Remember the Oldsmobiles with the tufted built in seat cushions?
    I think Car and Driver called those that the French Bordello Option.
    Buick had them too.
    Give me pure black, slippery, smelly, hot, disgusting vinyl seats.
    When i bought my first camaro vinyl was standard and cloth was a $22.00 option. I got the cloth.
    Mom kept vinyl in the '77 impala wagon because of the dog.
    Leather seems to get dirtier quicker than vinyl did.
    On my next car i will either do cloth or perforated leather due to the high humidity and temps here.
    I think perforated leather make much more sense than "sealed" flat leather surfaces in hot climates. Good alternative for next time as well.
  • shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    I love leather seats. The leather will last as long as you treat it nicely :>) I sold my 1987 Olds 98 2dr coupe to buy my Impala. The leather seats in it were in fantastic shape. Of course I cleaned it often with leather cleaner (not vinyl cleaner).

It's going to be -15 tonight so I will have the seat heater on in the morning!