Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• That seat heater sounds nice.
    OTOH, I'm gonna put the top down for the ride home tonight. A little ZZ Top on the stereo. Oh yeah.
    If I was driving the Impala, I'd have the moon roof open. (Or, is it a sun roof? What's the difference, anyway?)
  • That black, sticky vinyl sounds great, especially in Florida. Just make sure you're wearing shorts!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    My Impala has the WORST leather seats I have ever sat on. I don't even consider it leather. Yuck!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I much prefer cloth in my cars, but I must say of the many US and foreign cars I have driven and ridden in in the past years, the Chevy Impala cloth is the LEAST impressive. It reminds me of mousefur. Not even good mousefur. Mr. Lutz, are you listening?
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Just as qualities of cloth and leather vary, so does vinyl and some of it IMHO was very good - especially the heavier, slighty textured, not so shiny "naugehyde" type products.

At classic/antique car shows, I have seen cars of the 20s, 30s and 40s with unrestored cloth interiors that still looked great decades after they were made. Have also seen cars of the 60s and 70s that had some very nice original vinyl that almost looks like new today. On the other hand I've seen some original old leather of the same vintage that is cracked, weather, dried and/or discolored.

As everyone knows, car interior temperatures run great extremes from literally sub-zero to well over a 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Many cars sit in bright sun year after soaking gobs of damaging UV light. Whatever the interior components are made of, it's a very demanding situation.
  • moff3206moff3206 Member Posts: 13
    50048 miles and the Impala is in the shop while they tear down the tranny and advise me of what's wrong. I will update when I get the call.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    What happened to your tranny?
  • hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    The way I read the GMPowertrain.com L36 engine summary, the upper intake manifold on the C, H, and W bodied cars are "composite" (nice new word for plastic...)
    Ok, I missed that part of the info on the GMpowertrain web page. According to them, the F-body cars equipped with the 3800 V6 (Camaro Coupe 3800)have full upper and lower Cast Aluminum intake manifolds.

On the W-body car applications, the Upper intake manifold is "Composite" (Thermal plastic) and the lower manifold is made of "High Silicon Molybdenum, Cast Nodular Iron".

I am afraid that a lot of cars today are using Thermal Plastics for critical engine parts, not just GM.

In the 3.4L V6 engine found in the Impala base, the upper and lower intake manifolds are made of Cast Aluminun.

My only sort of beef with the 3.4L engine is that the cylinder head is made of Aluminum whereas in the 3800 is made of Cast Iron.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I got ahold of superchips.com over the phone today and asked them if they got a chip for our cars. They said they're suppose to have one later on this year, around summer time.
    Chris
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    What is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

There you have it. Ford had to open it's mouth
    to confuse everyone.

Tomatoes - tomatoes

Steve
    can't take the credit for that explanation. props to www.sunroofs.org (seriously)
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I see the April issue of Motor Trend is reporting that the Holden Commodore SS is now approved to become the next Impala SS with 5.7L 6 spd manual.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    the Solid Metal one that slid into the roof, and Sunroof was the Glass Panel ones? I can see that the Glass serves dual purpose, letting some light in while closed at least... Don
    Moonroof = Sliding glass
    Sunroof = Metal sliding cover.

I could be wrong.
  • What does moonroofs.org have to say about this? I like to get both points of view.
    I'll check Targa.net or cabriolet.org first.
  • I think you may be correct.

Is it only me, or do others dislike the fact that the glass slab slides back over the roof, instead of into the roof? It looks fine from inside the car, but I hate the way it looks from outside.
    My '97 2.5TL Moonroof used to slide inside the roof. My '95 Integra's used to slide outside and over the roof.

The only advantage of the Integra/Impala setting is that you have a bit more headroom vs having the panel slide inside the roof.

Have you seen the one in the Mercedes C-class coupe?
    moonroofs.org!! LOL!

yeah, maybe they will have a rebuttal
    I always thought the sunroof was made of glass (letsunlight in without opening it)... and the moonroof was a solid moving piece of sheetmetal.

My dad had a Mazda MX-3 with the roof that opened outside the car. The top was of course painted to match body color. I believe many Bimmer's also have the solid painted roof.

My preference is NEITHER. I don't like additional holes in my sheet metal. Drop top is a different story!

RR
  • impalay2k_mimpalay2k_m Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys,

Anyone have any potential solutions to my earlier post about inside plastic trim that is loosening up?

ie. the door panels inside are horrible..go over bumps..temperature changes = all sort of annoying noises.. :(

Talk about BAD QUALITY..I hope Bob Lutz reads theses posts..cheap poorly made interiors have got to go!!!!
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I'm sure of this.... A MOONROOF is Glass...

I believe the thinking here is that way you can let Moon light in, without letting air in. Sunroof means you can only see out with the roof "open", which means air comes in as well...
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I do not care for none of them. they all leak at some point.

With the glass the sun bakes your head here in the valley of the sun Arizona. Yes I know, not much rain here.

No holes in the roof for this guy....we had glass T-tops once, about 4 months and we got rid of the car.

Before we bought the Impala in 1999 we looked at Toyota Avalons at the urging of some friends. All of the Avalons we looked at had moonroofs. I had to get real "intense" with one salesman so he would understand I did not want a car with a hole in the roof. LOL

The impala was a lot better value for the money spent. IMHO
  • I like moonroofs. Before I got the Impala, I swore that the next car I bought HAD to have a moonroof. ;-)

Ain't America great?!!
    I LOVE MY IMPALA

rr
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I, too, will NOT buy a car with a hole in the roof. This kept me out of Mazdas for many years, as Mazda is/was insistent that you could not get ABS without also getting a moonroof.

Meanwhile, at GM, even now, on the Vibe, you cannot get a really nice factory stereo, without also getting "moon," as in "moon and tunes." Sorry, GM, if I were Vibing, I guess you just sent me to the aftermarket for an even nicer stereo for less money. Answer me this GM (ha, as if they were here), how smart was that on your part?
    I have had only 2 cars with glass moonroofs: My '97 Acura 2.5TL and '95 Integra LS sedan.

The novelty wore out after driving these cars, so for the next replacement I decided to skip the Moonroof and leather seats which are a $700.00 and $600.00 option respectively in the Impala (Fortunately not tied to any other option packages).

Ain't America great?

Well after 2 years of Impala ownership I am missing the moonroof on ocassion. Well until next time around.
  • discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I can see how having a leaking roof would discourage anyone from buying another....

I am on my third car (over the last 12 years) that has a moon roof. I have never had any leaks whatsoever. I love it !! Open the panel only (not the glass) at night and let the moon light in. Open the top during the day and let the air rush in.......

To each his own. I may not agree with your opinion, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to have it!
    I never had any leaking issues either. I think new cars have very good seals around the moonroof opening.

This was more of an issue on cars made 15 to 20 years ago.

Also another reason why I skipped the Moonroof in the Impala was the somewhat chintzy interior headliner assembly around the opening. I noticed a few cars with the headliner sagging from around the roof opening.

The solid roof cars don't have this problem.
  • >>>Open the panel only (not the glass) at night and let the moon light in. <<<

I open the panel during the day too! I like the light. It gives it an open, "airy" feeling, even with the glass closed. The dark tint works well to keep the intensity down, so as not to bother me. I suppose it would be different in FL or the SW.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I almost didn't buy my Impala because it didn't have a moonroof. But with the value I got on the LS, I couldnt' resist.

My next car will DEFINITELY have a moonroof.
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    I don't own an Impala but wanted to comment on moonroof leaks. Today a good moonroof will have rain gutters built in so if it does leak it will drain itself out and not leak onto the headliner. I did not want a moonroof either when buying a car but it was packaged that way so I got one. Then one day I found the rain gutters. Now I would not want a car without one.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I figure as long as I've still got some hair, it would be nice to have it blowing in the wind, so I opted for the moonroof this time around. By the time I buy another car, I suspect I'll be wearing a hat whever I go to reduce glare on passing motorists, and will probably need the addtional headroom provided by a solid top!!
    O.K. the extra warranty co. had to come out and look at it to make sure it was not a fraudulent claim, then they said "tear it down". Monday my service advisor is going to call and tell me what the problem is and what they are going to do to fix it.
    The symptom was, when accelerating from a stop the front wheels would skip, kind of like the gear would not catch. Oh well the extra warranty more than paid of it's self now.
    "O.K. the extra warranty co. had to come out and look at it to make sure it was not a fraudulent claim"

This reaffirm my belief that when buying an extended warranty for your Impala, you should go with the GM Major Guard plans. You don't have to put up with nonsense such as this. Repair approvals on the spot with the Major Guard contract as whereas the aftermarket contracts one has to pay repairs up front (And wait to be reimbursed some day) or have their "people" go out and take a look at your car to make sure is not a "Fraudulent" claim...ridiculous!
    Teo- Despite the inconvenience, insurance companies do have investigate expensive claims.
    I used to work for an insurance company when I was in college and I know for a fact that there are more and varied insurance scams of all kinds than you can possibly imagine. To think otherwise is simply naive.

If the companies didn't question and validate claims and prosecute fraudulent ones, insurance of all types would be far more expensive than it is.
    True. But while they verify the validity of a warranty claim (Their given right) your car can spend days in the shop waiting for "approval".

This is the reason why I think the GM extended warranties give an added advantage to the customer. No need to wait for "X" adjuster to show up, just write up the repair ticket, get a repair approval in a matter of minutes and get on with the repair, ordering parts, etc.

This saves time and money. To me that's very valuable.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    This little "un-covered" part caused this big part to fail.... cha chang... that will be $2500 please...... Hopefully that will not be the case, but I have read that even the GM Warranty sucks in more ways than one....It is not all Milk and Honey like the 3/36 warranty.. Don
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    I was fortunate enough to have GM install a "Sky" Roof in my '01 LS. It actually has a double use; During the day it functions as a Sun Roof, and at night I can use it as a Moon Roof. The two major requirements I made of my dealer was to find a white LS with Leather "Seating Surfaces", and a Sky Roof (even though I live in Texas!). I would not change a thing. I have been very pleased with both. The "holy" roof gives a more spacious, open cabin area. Anyway, the Dallas Cowboys play with a hole in their roof, why cant I? (I know, I know, the 'Boy's aren't what they used to be).

I was driving earlier this week during a rain event, doing 55 and I hit a pretty good area that had accumilated some water. My "Trac" light came on, letting me know in advance that I was Hydroplaining. Great Feature!

Brett.....
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    accumulated water? I heard you poor folks got like 7" of rain down there! We could sure use the rain here in AZ, drought stricken and fire season coming up, not going to be good this year.
    Oh yeah... Impala
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Hi, this is my first entry. Owned nothing but used Chevy's for 40 years until we bought this Impala. Put on 20 k miles in 2 years. Problems: pass side seat heater never worked. Dealer found wire pulled out of connector. Soldered and heat shrink on it. No problems since. In rotating tires I found play in drivers side tie rod end. My local garage for 35 years where I get my cars inspected confirmed it on yearly state inspection in January. He said it passes but get it fixed under warrenty. I still have a '68 Impala Custom bought at 5,800 in 1969 and it has grease fittings on tie rod ends. At 131 k miles they are still ok...guess new isn't necessarily better (without grease fittings)

So far no cradle or ISS problems on mine that I can detect. About once every 3 months after a 40 mile trip and after car sits for 45 minutes upon restarting and when you put in Drive and go to take off...it hesitates and stumbles and acts like an car of 70's with a leaned out carb. Once you step on it and get past it's stumbling, it is ok..it never quits running. Then you'll never have it happen again until months later. This is a 3800 200Hp engine.

I have really enjoyed all the varied info in all the old notes. I have gone back to the beginning and am reading like a book. My intention before warrenty runs out in a year is to take all improvements and service updates from this forum to the dealer ..tell him to keep car until thru....and I will almost have 2003 Impala! Laugh Laugh !

Oh one more thing. I rotated tires at 17k first time....guess should have done sooner. The GA tires look good but have raise rubber slightly on the outside tread. Between 20 to 50 mph the tire noise sounds like you are running 4 knobby snow tires. Don't care for that. I am noting others tire replacemnt types vs the Goodyears. Just as a comparison..we had also bought a 2000 Venture Van. Rotated Firestone tires at 17 K also. No raised rubber. They run silent. They are an all weather tread design aggressive looking but quiet. bye
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Welcome to the forum, 33.

That's quite an undertaking, starting at the beginning and reading almost 8700 posts.

Enjoy your Impala!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Welcome to the thread!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Saw that the Mazda Protege thread was #1 with over 300 posts yesterday. Kind of scary. I am afraid to go in there and see what they are talking about.
    If you're really a glutton for Impala posts, there are also the IMPALA forums I through X - that's ten more archived discussions with another 7000 messages.
    I can appreciate what you are saying about an adjuster wanting to look at the car, I was concerned also considering that most warranty companies only allow five car rental days. This one is great they will pay for my rental until I get the car back. Also, they were going to pay for the rental even if they thought the car did not need repair.
    I have heard so many horror stories that I was worried going in that this was going to cost us a lot of money. After giving the info to my service advisor, and him not having any experience with this company, then I was ready to cry. He called me back in five minutes and told me that this was the best warranty company he has ever dealt with. 9am the next morning got a call they started tearing it down, should have it back next week.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Boy you took on a real challenge reading every one of the 8000 and more posts to this forum. Its a great idea to copy down part numbers and updates. I check this board three times a day to keep up with all the news and topics. I put my two cents in when I can help. I own the 2001 LS with 15000 miles. Rotated tires at 14000 miles, all four tires are wearing evenly and no problem there. I had the air filter changed, oil changed every three thousand miles, and had one real problem that was fixed under warranty. My radio antenna took a micro surge(service manager's remark) and the rear window needed to be replaced. If you ever turn on your rear defogger and then turn on the FM radio, you will get static until you turn off the rear defogger. This problem also runs in the Buick Regal too. Once the window was replaced all was okay. I have a feeling that the problem was caused by a college university banner mid window bridging the two grids somehow... I took the banner off the window before they diagnosed the problem. :)... just a thought. Anyway welcome aboard and many happy miles with your 2000 Impala.
    FatherTyricius