Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Thanks for the link. You are right about it being easier to navigate. I would love the hood, but the freight charge it to Hawaii would be nuts. My wife tells everyone that I am slowly building a new Impala with all the parts I am collecting.
    I took my car in for a few warranty items and the dealer washed my car. It wasn't even the selling dealer. Granted, it was a pretty sloppy job, missing a few spots. But it was a nice suprise and I only noticed because I was looking hard. I wish the dealers would notice that it is the service after the sale that will keep customers.
    The baffle in the muffler came loose? You know, you really shouldn't take the Impala off-roading. That's gotta be a defective muffler.
    What do you use to remove the center cap? I've tried all sorts of things to prevent scratching the keyhole in the rim.
    There is someone working on a self-adhesive vinyl sheet that goes over the center panel of the trunk tail light section to make it look like the LS Sport. The sheet has a cutout for the Impala logo so you don't have to remove it. It will come out in various colors so you don't have to paint it. The taillight housings on the corners may take a little longer to work out because of the curve.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    There's an Impala LS instrument cluster for sale on eBay currently; does anyone know A) if it would readily replace a base model cluster (i.e. would plugs match, and would the tach work), and B) is the odometer reading going to be altered by switching gauges?

I'm thinking it's possible the odometer info may actually be stored elsewhere on the vehilcle, and the readout may be just that; a readout. But, I wouldn't want to risk screwing up my odometer, nor would I want to go to all the trouble if the extra gauges/tach won't work. Anybody know?
    A company that was selling a customized MC SS cluster (it had a Dale Earnhart signature on it) told me that all I had to do was plug it into my LS and the additional gauges would work (oil pressure, etc) however if I wanted them to reprogram the odometer, I would have to send in my unit.

According to the service manual, the mileage is stored in the car's computer but it is also stored in the odometer. So it has to be reprogrammed with a TACH-II by the dealer.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I use a great big screwdriver with an old sock over the end. I've taken off the caps several times and not blemished them or the keyhole in the rim. What's astonishing is that the dealer who works on my car has removed them several times too and not damaged them either. Wow.

The center caps, however, are bubbling/pitting and will look terrible in a couple years. Nobody's fault, I don't think...just poorly made. Too bad they're so shoddy. I'll have to replace them to keep the thing looking sharp.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Do any of the Impalas (including 9C1 and Sport) come with a 140mph speedometer with oil pressure guages? Think I could add that to my 2002 LS?
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    The 9C1 comes with a "certified" 140 mph speedometer. Only a fuel gauge and temp gauge though. Otherwise, info window. Funny though, the 9C1's are "governed" at 124-126 mph..so why the 140 gauge I wonder..other than it kinda looks cool.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    To drive down a mountain (old joke).
    MAN!!! I want it all! I wonder if the Sport Appearance Impalas come with the 140 speedometer too...
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    They do, as do the police Impalas.
    Do they come with the LS features plus Oil Pressure and Voltometer too? Thanks... I wonder if it will bolt onto mine???!
    Just got back from the road trip. Looks like gas mileage will be in the 29 mpg range. With one tank at 30.3.
    Got stuck in major traffic on I-495 around Washington. Then got stuck about 6 miles from the Annapolis Bridge before the toll booth. Even with those delays gas mileage was 28.5 for that leg.

The only problem that I with the car was the seats are just not comfortable on long stints. They were good for about 2 hours and then my right shoulder blade started hurting.

This cars ability to pull down great mileage is one of it's strongest points. I drove 10 miles over the limit, and the car spent most of its time at 79-80 mph.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Just returned from an 800 mile road trip averaging over 31 MPG.

For me, local driving is usually less than half that. Very poor.
    IMHO, the Impala LS is a road car in the way it is tuned, suspension and performance.

When that LOW FUEL warning lights up on the dashboard, don't hesitate to get gas ASAP. Even though you have aprroximately 3 gallons left, uncertain driving conditions can eat that up very quickly.

I was doing a lot of LOCAL driving (read low MPG) 2 weeks ago and kept putting off buying gas. Anyway, I ran out of gas for the first time in 20 years. No fun and I won't do it again.

Incidentally, in my area, gas prices fluctuate all over the place. In the past 9 months, they have varied from $1.09 to $1.49 a gallon. In the past week from $1.45 to $1.25 yesterday. There is no way this has anything to do with political conditions.

BTW, did you know that much of our Alaskan oil is currently being exported? Go figure.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I am told by my mechanic at the dealership that almost ALL fuel pump replacements are preceded by the customer running out of gas. The junk in the bottom of the tank gets drawn into the pump and somehow damages it, but, more importantly, the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in which it sits in the tank. No gas, no cooling.

One of the major reasons of the low fuel warning light coming on so soon is to get customers to refill the tank and keep up the fuel pump cooling. I learned my lesson. I now always keep the tank at least 1/4 full. This is the first car I have had since fuel pumps moved to the gas tank that has NOT needed a fuel pump by 60,000 miles. More evidence? Program cars need often fuel pumps early. And what do many rental car customers (where most program cars come from) do? Buy the full tank at rental and run the tank as close to empty as possible. Nuff said.

Keep the tank at least 1/4 full. (This also helps to avoid problems with condensation in the tank in the winter).
  • jpatsujpatsu Member Posts: 4
    I recently Took a 2300 mile trip from Illinois to Alabama. When I got to Alabama, my CD player stopped working. The rest of the radio kept on working though. I am pretty sure that it was just the humidity though. The cd player started working again on the trip back north when we had the AC turned on.

Jeff
    Ok, first I run through a cloud of fluorescent yellow paint then this:

I was on the way to work and I noticed that my dash lights were dim (radio and shift indicator). It was pretty light out, so my first thought was the DRL circuit was out. I turned the dimmer knob and it wasn't getting any brighter. I pulled out the knob (which would turn on the headlights manually) and from the reflection in the car in front of me, I could see that it was going from full intensity to full intensity. So I concluded that the car thought it was nighttime and something was wrong with the dimmer switch.

I got to work and got out of the car. Headlights were full on, but the taillights were out. Ugh, something is seriously wrong. So I turned off the car and started it again. No change. So I turned off the car and opened the door. This turned off the radio also. I waited a little while then turned the car on again. This time the dash lights came on full intensity. I pulled out the manual headlight switch and the dash lights went dim. The headlights were full on and so were the tail lights. I turned off the headlights and went back out to check. The headlights were dim. I went to the back of the car and the taillights were out. So apparently turning off the car totally reset it. I went back to turn off the car and guess what. Yep, apparently I bumped the door going to check the taillights and closed the door, and the door was locked, and the engine was running. *sigh*

Luckly my wife had not left for work and dropped by to unlock my door.
  • Why not call OnStar? Badabing! Doors unlocked.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    When I was in college, I was so poor that my truck usually run on fume. Never once in my life had I ever gotten stranded for no gas. Sigh. I hope I don't get jinxed. Anyway, I never had any problem with my fuel pump. The truck was running great when I sold it at around 80K miles.

I'll be driving up to the Bay area this Thursday. It'll be my first long drive in my Impala since driving to Santa Barbara.
  • The weather's been great up here! You should enjoy it. (Unless you're going to SF. Then, who knows what the weather will be like? It changes every 15 minutes!)

Just make sure your AC is set to recirculate when you drive past the slaughterhouses by I-5 down near Fresno or someplace like that.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Night_owl, sounds like a sensor hiccup, but the part about the tailights not turning on with the headlights in manual mode...hmmmmm weird.

No problems here, just driving enjoyment...ahhh and no Smartalecks on sight (Tongue pressed really hard against my cheek).
    When we moved to US and bought our first car, a friend who lived here for 20 years suggested to make copies of keys and always have them in a wallet / purse. Cheap insurance.

It saved me about 5 times in 6 years, and once my wife. I am absent-minded often, while she is much more attentive.
    Keep the key fob and car key in separate locations...;)

OnStar's remote door unlock service is only good if:

1) You OnStar subscription is currently active and in good standing

2) You have a working cellular phone or are in very close proximity to a pay phone, etc.

Even if your car is equipped with OnStar, they will not unlock your doors if your acct with them is not active or in good standing or if you forget your access PIN number.....
    I didn't renew OnStar. I figured I could always call someone to unlock my door. I also found out that OnStar doesn't pay for a tow truck, they only offer to call one for you. I already have a cell phone, airbag notification is of limited use when everone here has a cell phone and will call 911, and the theft tracking only works if the system is still connected. To top it off, I don't remember what my password was. =P
    Yeah, I guess after work I'll make a bunch of extra keys. Of course, the next thing will be that I won't remember where all the keys are...
    Maybe it was a system hiccup. I'm just glad turning off the car and restarting reset the system.
    This is why I have the spare keys in my wallet. Always with me, and easy to remember.
    With the black plastic coating on the key, doesn't that make your wallet really thick?
    Make it in metal, without the plastic key cap.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    What johnclineii's mechanic is right on. Old mechanical fuel pumps were usually good for 40,000 - 80,000miles. The mechanism just wore out. Many times the camshaft lobe would wear and the pump push rod would not lift far enough to operate the fuel pump..... major repair or, replace with an electric in line fuel pump. New in the tank pump is superior but, it has to be kept cool by some gas in the tank. As to lost keys/ or locking the keys in the car... I wired a door key under the rear bumper. I first wrapped it in tape to keep it dry, then wired it under the car just foreward of the rear bumper. Yes, you have to lay on the ground to retrieve it but, beats walking. Another idea.... I paper clip a $10.00 bill to the back side of the trunk liner fabric. I'm never without money if wallet is left home or..... whatever. Don't sell the car without retrieving it. Enjoy the ride.
    Chevrolet has produced about 200,000 more vehicles this year vs. last year.

GM produced about 350,000 more over last year.

Interestingly total North American production was up.....you gessed it, 350,000 vehicles.

Looks like GM gained some market share.
    I can't help myself....

How much was FORD down?
  • I believe AAA will make one for you out of a special plastic that fits in your wallet like a credit card.
    Obviously, it can't be used as an everyday key, but sounds like it'll do just fine in a pinch.
    I would imagine it won't work with those oddly shaped anti-theft keys, either.
    To answer my own question (yes, I know it is tacky, but it did take some research)..for the first five months of 2002, Ford Division and Lincoln Mercury were down about 100,000 in sales. I did not include the Ford owned imports in the US, but that would not skew the results appreciably.

GM is making a dent in Ford right now.
  • Isn't that like saying Coke is making a dent in Pepsi?
    The plastic ends of keys are thick, but not very thick. They do not add much to total thickness of my wallet - with all these cards, etc. Especially after setting down for several days after using the cars.

The two keys in the wallet, from two cars, are pointed in opposite directions, to not swell it too much.
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Did anyone else renew their subscription? Or let it run out? mine is up for renewal in the next 2 weeks and I cannot decide if I'm gonna keep it or not. hmm I guess that means my car is about 1 year old. In that case.... 2001 LS, 1 year old, 13,900 miles.
    My 2000 didn't come with OnStar. I have installed Sirius satellite radio in my car, and see it as far more worth the money. I have a cell phone, the other benefits of OnStar seem overpriced, IMHO. I didn't want XM (GM's partner), as to me the musical choices are better with Sirius, not to mention Sirius is ad-free on the music channels. XM isn't.
    I let mine expire. It wasn't worth it.
    Ok, I'm not sure why it worked this morning, or maybe I wasn't paying attention (which would explain why I locked my keys in the car) The 15 amp fuse that protects the rear parking lamps was blown. That's why the brake lights would work, the parking lamps wouldn't, and the instrument panel lights were dim.

The front parking lamps are on a different circuit then the rear ones. So only the rear ones were affected. I probably zapped the fuse when I tried out the LED bulbs. Which, by the way, don't work. Its strange that the blown fuse affects the dash lights that way.
    Ok, maybe that was only part of the problem. The tail lights and dash lights work, but now the DRL doesn't. *sigh* I guess it's off to the dealer today.
    Could it be your CD changer acting up on your electrical system?
  • I'll bet they swap the BCM.
    Hmmm, they have to check the electrical system before doing that. Perhaps it is, perhaps is not.
  • I had a little hunch back at the office.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I thought if the key was in the ignition, the doors wouldn't lock. The other day I'd stopped by the drug store to get some prescriptions filled for my wife (who had fallen and fractured her tailbone). Since she was in the car (and had no desire to get out and stand around a drug store for a half-hour), I left the engine running with the AC on, and tried to lock the doors when I got out. However, the locks would immediately unlock the door, keeping me from locking them in the ignition.

My old Celica used to do the same thing (of course, if I left the keys in the seat, it didn't stop me from locking the keys there).
    Of course, driving to the dealer the silly thing works now. =P I still asked them to look at it, but if they can't duplicate the problem...

I thought the car wouldn't lock either, but I guess it does. Maybe because the car was running. I'm not in a hurry to test it again. =)
  • I'll bet it was because it was running. Test it when you get home, and you have your spare fob with you, or just separate the fob from the one key, and test it at work.