Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    Welcome! Congratulations on your new Impala!

I just bought mine last week, in part because of back problems with my Saturn SL2, so I completely understand where you're coming from. The Impala is certainly a comfortable ride and has completely transformed my hellish 2-hour roundtrip commute into something almost pleasant.

Good luck with your new "baby" and I'm looking forward to "seeing you around" here.
  • Options
    Well, I finally found a way to talk my DH out of the Jetta (I hope). We bought a dog yesterday! And before I agreed to it, I told him he'd have to get a less expensive car AND wait for his Saturn lease to end (he wanted to do it 2 months early and VW wouldn't have paid off the lease). He agreed!

So now I'm pushing him either towards a Golf or something else less pricey than a Jetta. He said he might even consider a Cavilier (anyone have experience with these?) I'm thinking the hatchback on the Golf might be a good thing for the dog's crate.

So thanks all for the Jetta info. Hopefully it helped my campaign to stop this purchase. If not, our new Cairn Terrier has probably done the trick.
  • Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Forget the Cavalier. It is a 20 year old rolling antique of automobile. Lousy crash test results (Check www.iihs.org)and generally a pretty crude car for the money. The Cavalier rides on the "J Body" platform that first debuted in the year 1981. Basically today's Cavalier/Sunfire are barely updated cars (Safetywise) that rides on a basic chassis first designed over 20 years ago. The last "Major" update made to the Cavalier sheetmetal was made in 1995. These cars are pretty old no matter how you look at them. The only positives about them is the addition of the German Opel 2.2L "Ecotec" 4 cylinder engine for brisk take offs, good reliability and fuel economy. Rebates on these things are in the $2500 to $3000 range so, sure they are cheaper than most Euro or Japanese subcompacts and about in the same price level of the Korean makes (Which by the way in despite of their own shortcomings still come ahead of the Cavalier).

My advice: Stay away from the Cavalier. It is crude, questionnable build quality and very poor crash protection as evidenced by test results.

Think of the Golf as the "Rolls Royce" of subcompacts. Impeccable fit and finish, excellent build quality/interior materials, excellent brakes, terrific handling, safety and steering response, superb resale value. There is no comparison between a $16K Cavalier and a $16K Golf.

The Golf is made in Curitiba, Brazil, one of VW's most modern and efficient plants in the world. They also manufacture some Audi models in that plant as well. The Golf has had generally much better reliability than its Mexican made counterpart, the Jetta.

The Golf is also much more practical than the Jetta sedan. With the back seats up, the Golf gives you 18 Cubic Feet of cargo, while the Jetta gives you 11.5 cubic feet. With the back seats folded, the Golf gives you nearly 30+ Cubic Feet of cargo space, which is excellent for a subcompact car.

I highly recommend the Golf GL 5-door hatchback. Here is what you get for about $16K haggled price:

* 6 Airbags (2 front, 2 side mounted in the front seats and 2 side curtain airbags that extend from the A pillar all the way to the side back passengers)

* AM/FM premium stereo cassette with 8 speakers.

* 4 speed Automatic transmission

* Power Locks with Remote Keyless Entry and factory alarm.

* Manual crank windows and sideview mirrors. (If you have to have power windows, then you have to go up to the Golf GLS model).

* Tilt/Telescopic steering wheel.

* 4 Wheel disc brakes with 4 channel ABS, standard.

* Illuminated door lock switches.

* Tachometer and digital clock, standard.

* Front map reading lights.

* Lap/shoulder belts and headrests in all 5 seating positions. Front pretensioners.

* Front seats have manual height adjustments.

* Rear hatch wiper/washer with cargo cover and first aid kit.

* 15" wheels with covers

*2.0L 4cylinder 115HP gasoline engine

*A/C with Micron cabin filter system

* Day time running lights (DRL)

* 4 year/50,000 mile warranty with 4 years of 24 hour roadside service included.

The Golf is a no brainer choice.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    My 2001 has reached the 30K mile mark. Well a couple od days ago I started getting a popping noise from the left wheel well. Sounds like the CV Joints but I sorta doubt it. The noise is intermittent and you can only hear it when you accelerate from a stand still. Just one pop and you wont hear it till you stop and start again. Well I took the car to the dealer and I'm hoping they find something. They're also doing a 30K mile service which includes Fuel Induction Cleaning, Transmission Flush, Oil, Chassis, tire rotation and balance....$430. I'll let you guys know what came out of that popping problem when I get my car back.

Chris

http://members.cox.net/2001impala

• Options
    I know you mentioned a dislike of Japanese branded cars, but your loved one may want to consider an Acura RSX. I test drove one, and it's remarkably zippy and relatively low-priced (although not as much so as a Golf.
    Another interesting choice is the Civic coupe. I saw a 2003 model, and it's pretty sharp looking, actually. Not at all the econobox of the past.
    Another choice is the new Corolla Sport. Stylish, and very nice interior.
    Granted, the Corolla and Civic are not powerhouses, but when linked to the 5-speed tranny, they're quite zippy. (I used to have a 94 Corolla.)
    The RSX starts out fast, especially the Type-S. That one kicks booty. None of them are "girly" cars. ;-)
  • Options
    The problem with the RSX is that it is basically a 2 seater car. The rear seats are intended to be occupied by Chiuahua dogs, not humans. there is not very substantial leg/foot room for back riders. I would not put my 10 year old child back there, no way.

The Civic is OK, just another dull Honda product. Nothing special and is as pricey as the VW Golf.

The new Corolla looks interesting, but haven't been inside one so I can't comment.

The Golf is a very well engineered small car with the "Euro" prowness in design and performance that no Asian car can't touch, plus gets the utility of a small 4 door sedan with a hatchback design. Unless you are talking Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe or even Subaru Impreza wagon, none of the cars you mentioned offer the flexibility of the Golf. Well may be the (Gasp!) Ford Focus ZX5.
  • Options
    You haven't seen the NEW Civic, it appears.
    The Matrix and Protege 5 are also interesting. I don't care as much for the looks of the Vibe, but it has an American badge, if that's important to Copychick.

(I didn't realize the rear seat was so important for both cars, as she already has an Impala. I assumed he wanted something more sporty for himself.)

I'm not really a big Golf fan, except for the GTI. Actually, I'm not a big VW/Audi fan, in general.
  • Options
    I have seen the new Civic many times. It doesn't impress me. Going by intellect I know it is a very good car. It just doesn't do anything for me. To me it is a refined econobox. The coupe is more agreable than the sedan model from Dullsville. I am sure there are plenty of happy Civic owners to go around. More power to them.

I quite frankly prefer the new Corolla but it too visually suffers from the new Japanese syndrome of turning sedans into minivan look alikes. I have not been to one, so I can't comment but I suspect it is a cut above the Civic sedan.

The Protege5 is a nice suggestion. More reliable than the Ford Focus counterparts.

I think Copychick's husband was going after a smaller 4 door sedan (Jetta) and her suggestion (Or idea) of him getting either a Cavalier or Golf suggests that they still want to have the availability of a four door vehicle, even if her Impala is to be considered the main household car.

However if he is open to the idea of a small 2 door vehicle, then go with the Mini Cooper...it is a small car with serious performance underpinnings, good headroom all round (But short in trunk space) and has the looks, fit/finish, cool factor and collector car status likehood that only an Asian car can dream of.
  • Options
    dmullinsdmullins Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have a copy of the coolant recovery TSB? (00-06-02-006)

Thanks,
    Drew
  • Options
    Suscribe to Alldata.com. Also your dealership should be able to print a copy of any TSB for you. If they give you heck, talk to the service manager.
  • Options
    Post a question in the "technical service bulletins" forum topic. The guy that hangs there can help you. You'll save the $20 for the AllData subscription.

If memory serves, it has to do with the surface of the filler neck being uneven, causing a bad seal with the cap. I think they needed to smooth the edge of the neck, and replace the cap.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Changed oil at my Chevy dealership today. Walked on the new car lot while waiting.

Only 2 Impala: one sport, second base. Both silver.

Exactly 10 Monte Carlo, including 2 yellow sporty version (I counted them).

About 15 Malibu, mostly either base or LS with few options. About 10 Cavalier.

About 40-50 SUVs, minivans, and other trucks.

Looks as Impala are selling very well.
  • Options
    hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Just returned from a roadtrip with my 2000 LS, performed like a champ once again, this is his second trip to Canyon DeChelly on the Navajo Nation in Northeast Arizona. Unfortunately the smoke from the fire burning out of control in the Rim Country of the Apache Sitgreaves Forest obscured the canyon for two of the three days we were there, mind you the canyon is about 120 miles NE of where the fire is burning so you know it's a monster. For those that pray, remember the 32,000 folks who have had to evacuate their homes...

It was a 360 mile one way trip with 280 of it on 75mph limit highway and 80 miles of Indian Highways that are better than most two laners in my own town, the elevation goes from 1200ft in Phoenix to 7700 on the top of the canyon with temps from 112 to 90's. The round trip got me 25.8 MPG with a/c on most if not all the way. My only complaint would be that the in cabin air filter didn't stop the smell of smoke from the fire from coming in to the car. At 330pm on saturday the smoke was so bad on I-40 that day turned to late dusk, very erie...I'm just short of 40k on "Bluish" and still very happy with his performance.

Someone asked about the tsb concerning the filler cap...you can do it yourself if you want, take some fine sandpaper and sand away the plastic around the filler neck where the two pieces joined together, your filler cap should fit more snug then. You might want to replace your radiator cap too. I had this done, got rid of the dexcool smell right away. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thank you both for coming up with auto ideas for my DH. (He says "thank you" too:)

Drivinisfun you are correct, we were hoping to get another 4-door car. This is because DH is usually the one to take our DD to school and when one is waiting in a line of cars with impatient parents who can only drop off their kids in one spot, one wants to be able to have the child exit quickly, yet safely. A 2-door would make things difficult.

As for the Civic and Corolla, I would have no problem if he decided on the Corolla, but dealing with Honda left an awful taste in my mouth (don't get me started;) and I would be hard-pressed to agree to another Honda in the family (plus, then we'd be giving in to parental pressure on my side of the family, and I'm still rebelling, despite my years).

I pointed out the Mini Cooper to DH when we were out for a drive over the weekend. He felt it was too small, even though I think it's adorable. He is still considering the Jetta (oh no, not again!) but now leaning towards the Golf. I wouldn't mind if he would consider a Focus; however, there have been a number of recalls on that car.

Thanks for opening my eyes about the Cavilier, drivinisfun.
  • Options
    It's encouraging to hear that there were only 2 Impalas on the lot you saw. That's close to the situation claimed by my own dealer (there were a number of base models and a few LSs with leather and sunroofs, but few LSs with cloth and no sunroof).
  • Options
    gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Oh please oh please don't get the new Corolla. The styling looks weird. It's out of porportion. It's something about the height of the vehicle. It looks tall for a small sedan. I think Toyota is trying too hard to attract young adults to their new Corolla. Regardless how hard Toyota tries, they can never beat the Honda Civic. I"m not sure how Toyota's new division Scicor (sp?) will do. So far, I'm not impress with those funky concept cars.

A good choice is the new Matrix. I think it's from the same platform as the Corolla. It looks stylish and roomy for 4 adults. It gets my attention very time I see it on the road.

By the way, my local dealer is marking off $4500 on all remaining 2002 Impalas. I'm assuming this is for the LS models only.
  • Options
    That's amazing! hvan3 where are you located? Just curious if this is a regional thing.
  • Options
    Is being offered in Arizona as well...
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Seems like I read somewhere that there's currently a $2,500 rebate on Impalas from GM; if the dealer adds in another $2k, that's not too bad. Local dealer here (AR) was offering $4004 off new Impalas a few weeks ago; may have been before GM bumped their rebate to $2,500. I think that offer holds on base models or LS, but not certain.

Having ordered my 2000 model in early 2000, I suppose I paid somewhat of a premium to be an "early adopter". But as I recall, my local dealer still gave me something like $2k off the sticker price; only difference now is GM is kicking in money (and since the Oshawa plant just got voted the most efficient auto plant in North America or somesuch; may the can afford to kick back a little and still not lose money).
  • Options
    I bought in May 2000, at the time GM was offering 0.9% financing for up to 60 months, I got a fairly loaded LS with leather but no sun/moon roof and no heated seats or OnStar, tax and license brought it up to $24,900 and I put down $5K, for the life of the loan I think I'm paying just over 500.00 in interest. I still think I got a smokin deal.

The deals they are offering here are 4500.00 off or 1.9% financing, I'm not sure though because I turn off a lot of car ads on TV, frankly I'm tired of them screaming at me...
  • Options
    I'm sure you get enough of that at home!

Mr & Mrs Hunter
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Yep, $4500 off MSRP. I live in Southern Ca. It's a very competitive market. I saw only one dealer promoting it. $2K off GM cash rebate and $2.5K off dealer price.
  • Options
    I was growing pretty frustrated as of late with the gradually dull appareance of the thick black exterior moulding covers in the bumpers and doors. Specially after waxing the car, residue was getting trapped in the black moulding making up for horrid looks. Also dirt and other contaminants were turning my bumpers from black to whitish.

After trying a number of silicone cleaners and protectants on these surfaces, such as Armor All, with very poor results, I decided to go back to the auto parts store in hopes to find a product just intended to clean, restore and protect black rubber or plastic exterior trim. While searching in the waxes aisle, I found an 8 FL. OZ. bootle of "Mother's Back-To-Black Exterior Bumper and Trim Care" for $4.99. With a dose of skepticism, I decided to give it a try as I hadn't seen this product before.

Went home. Grabbed a clean Terry Cloth and with the bottle of the new stuff I headed back to the car. Poured a bit of the wax like cleaner into the terry cloth and started to work the cleaner into the dull looking rear bumper black plastic moulding and license plate moulding....wow!!!! amazing! this stuff not only cleaned out the dirt and wax residue in the plastic trim but also fully restored it to a beautiful and shiny black color...like fresh out of the factory!

Very effortless procedure. Just apply the wax like cleaner into the trim part to be cleaned/treated (Don't have to rub hard at all) and presto. The ugly junk goes away and the black comes back as you wipe and buff the cleaner.

The bottle says the cleaner also help protect the black trim against further deterioration and against UV rays. I applied a second coat and now my Impala looks like brand new again!

So, if you were frustrated like me with the looks of the dull black plastic moulding, this product is the best solution available. Best five bucks invested today.

This stuff is perfect for smooth and textured surfaces, bumpers, protective and decorative mouldings, louvers, air vents, window trim, black exterior trim and windshield wiper arms.

Give it a try.
  • Options
    That's very encouraging news! I'll have to keep a look out for that product.

I have yet to get to a store to buy car washing supplies. My work schedule precludes me from having much time for anything:(

This is going to sound lazy as hell, but how harmful would it be to my Impala if I brought it to a car wash instead of doing it myself? I worry about the antenna and also scratches to the finish. Would a brushless car wash be ok?

Of all the car washes to do the most damage to my cars, it's the fund-raising types run by teenagers. They must not have rinsed off the dirt adequately and the motion of wiping down the car has resulted in some pretty bad scratches on my last 2 cars. Whether or not it's for a good cause, that's one fund raiser I will not be subjecting my Impala to in the future.
  • Options
    Mothers stuff is great stuff. I know someone said they didn't like their "Reflections" line. But, my experience with their clay bar, liquid carnuba wax, Showtime instant detailer, and hrome polish has been excellent.
    I'm gonna try their Back to Black on Drivin's recommendation, their paint chip product on Night Owl's "Langka" recommendation, and their tire gel on their recommendation.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I only take my car to touchfree car washes in the winter or as step one in cleaning if it's REALLY muddy. I don't trust the "soft cloth" washes (have you ever felt one of the "soft" cloths?) and a brush carwash just sends nasty shivers up and down my spine.

Touchfree washes are only good at removing the worst of the dirt. They still leave a film of dirt on the surface, unless they have some kid with a brush going over the car before hand, and that's an even bigger no-no.

As I said, I only use touchfree under specific circumstances. Other than that, the only things that I use on the paint on my 2001 Navy Impala LS are water, 100% cotton towels(including a wash cloth rather than a sponge), and Zaino Bros products.

Hey Garypen, I guess that makes me a zealot, doesn't it? ;-)
    Brad
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    The Impala has the Radio antenna built into the rear window, so that is not a concern,(a broken antenna from another car caught in the system is a concern) You must mean the OnStar antenna, I bet there are a few laying in the gutter of the local car wash...ha ha... But the "Touchless" type washes are a probelm too. not so much for the body, but the Brake Rotors, Imagine the contrast of the 1000 dereee Brake rotors when you first drive into the "Touchless" bay and drive thru that 30 second Burst of Cold water destined to clean off the rims and tires.....I would think that would be detrimental to the rotors, scalding hot to cold...pretty much at any car wash...not to mention the ones with the spinning brushes intended for the tires that ride half way up the rim... I would buy the stuff to do it myself, and do, for what you would pay for someone else to do it you can assure yourself a decent outcome...and save yourself from some self-pitty afterwards....Don
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    How long ago did you use the back to black?
    If you did it today or yesterday, wait a couple of days. I think that you will find that the wax haze is still there.
    I tried it on the 'pala last summer and it didn't help.
    Although i have had excellent results with it on my camaro and intrigue.
  • Options
    I tend to agree that you should try to stick to the true "brushless/touchless"-type carwashes. I run mine through occasionally to keep it looking decent looking, but I can usually tell by the wheels when it needs a real cleaning (I've got the base with the 3.8l engine, so I've got the multi-fin wheels that tend to turn somewhat orange from dirt/brake dust buildup after awhile).

The touchless washes don't get the car extremely clean, especially at the rear of the vehicle. Occasionally I'll take the window washer squeege at the station while I'm filling up, and run it over the tail light section (lightly, of course) to loosen up some of the dust that seems to stay back there, before I run it through the touchless wash immediately afterwards; seems to help.

Another helpful product I've found are pre-moistened window cleaning cloths that come in a plastic container (sort of like baby wipes, but soaked in Windes-type fluid). Last time I went through the touchless wash, I pulled out some of these and went over the inside of the windows while I was sitting there. Made a world of difference, especially on the rear window (which seems to develop a film pretty quickly for some reason).
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    and I got the works, I was suprised at the Yellow and Blue foam it was spraying on the car, I thought wow will this thing shine, When I got home I got out and the black paint around the door area, (Where the front a rear doors meet between the windows) went from a semi-gloss to a FLAT BLACK,Really Flat, like a dry chalk board... I panicked and waxed them right away and got back some of the semi gloss look, A friend of mine ran his 1 year old truck thru a full service wash and the big 55 gallon canister of the one concentrated soap was near empty and the stuff at the bottom is not mixed (ie. PURE) and his truck was blotched everywhere, (Black truck) the car wash paid to have it re-painted,First they tried to detail it themselves by buffing it and wearing some of the paint off...gave up and had it re-painted... they said there are warnings that the concentrated soap is low but not in this case....I think that is what zapped my black trim on my Sable, my car was White .. Don
  • Options
    I usually hand wash my cars, as well. Once in a while, when I'm too lazy, I'll run it through the "touchless" at the gas station after a fillup.
    However, about every other month, I bring it to the full service "soft touch" wash. For $12.95, they give it the works inside and out, and I've never seen any swirls in the paint. It was $10.95, until recently.
    That's nothing though. Last time I visited Japan, a fillup (I think I started with half a tank), and an automated car wash came to about 5000 yen, which is over $50!
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Does anyone know what is included on the Impala Sport Appearance Package guage/instrument panel?I'm looking for a guage with a 140mph speedometer/oil pressure guage/voltometer along with other LS guage features. Thanks!
  • Options
    I put it in just this afternoon. Like I said it looks great. I believe the Back to Black stuff really did take out the dirt as the terry cloth was pretty black after I finished. We will see how it holds up, but it looks more promising than previous results with Armor All, trated Armor all silicone wipes, etc.

The trick is to keep that moulding as clean as possible. At least if you keep applying new coats of the back to black after each car wash it should eventually hold much better.

I'll be more careful when putting the wax around those areas next time around.
  • Options
    The Impala LS Sport does come already with the sport gauge package. It has a 140 MPH speedo, Volt and Oil Pressure gauges in addition to the Tach, fuel and water temp gauges.
  • Options
    The "Back to Black" stuff continues to hold very well. It is raining like crazy here this morning and still the bumpers look great, no signs of washing out or haze coming back.

I am planning of putting another coat of this stuff once it stops raining.
  • Options
    One thing I have noticed (not so much on my silver Impala as I have on my brown/tan pickup) is when it sprays on the multi-colored "stuff", it often doesn't spray evenly on the sides of the vehicle (seems to always leave an area on the front doors). So you do end up with a somewhat blotchy look at times. I'm not sure if it's the outside mirrors that break the flow of the stuff or not, but as I recall I had the same problem on my old car in these as well.
  • Options
    I personally do not recommend automatic carwashes. The damages caused to the finish overtime far outweighs the quick convenience. I stopped using them years ago and haven't regret it one bit.

To me automatic car washes are the equivalent of washing your car with sand paper.
  • Options
    Guess I won't be going to any car washes anytime soon. Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Do you think if I ordered a Sport guage with all those features, it would work on my Impala LS? I'm seriously considering doing that...
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I just got my order from Meguirers, a clay bar kit, the EXTRA cleaner and degreaser (works on everything with no staining, even carpets. I also got some Gold Class Trim detailer, it works great on the black trim and makes it look new.
    I noticed a mention of the radiator cap problems. I tried to get mine off and it won't come off. I did not want to force it. is there some trick to getting it off. It doesn't leak?
  • Options
    >>>is there some trick to getting it off.<<<

Man, I'm showing some self-restraint on that one!
  • Options
    http://www.properautocare.com/fb-1k.html

Its called "Forever Black". Sounds interesting. Might give it a try if the "Back to Black" stuff gives up in the end.

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    There are lots of products ou there that will turn the plastic back to black, the problem is getting the wax off.

The back to black works great for the louvers on my IROC.

But thejury is still out on the wax removal.
  • Options
    I thought I read here, on more than one occasion, that people have had success with using peanut butter to remove wax residue from the plastic moldings.
  • Options
    The porous plastic material used in the exterior black mouldings is the worst thing. It traps anything and everyhting and it is indeed hard to keep looking new over the long haul.

Other cars that I see with truly ugly fade out bumpers are Volvos.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    If you examine the locking tabs on the cap and filler neck, you'll see that you will have to push down firmly and evenly. It's really easy to push down at an angle and only one of the tabs will clear the tapered lock. Not to mention the cap has a sharp edge to it so be careful.
  • Options
    bob1951bob1951 Member Posts: 7
    Since someone here told of the effectiveness of Mother's "Back-to-Black" bumper remedy, I thought I would pass on another tip I found here several months back. Try using Meguiar's Clear Coat Prep & Swirl Remover on your red plastic taillights. They can become dull and scratchy if washed a lot with soap. Put this stuff on like wax and it works magic! Anyone who has similar tips please pass them on in this forum.
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I always hand wash my 00 black LS. I use turtle wax car wash using a hand towl. Rinse it, dry it with a chamois, and then a final dry with a Turkish towl. I have never waxed or polished the LS except for spot polish to remove minor abrasions. Most weeks I wash it 3 or 4 times. The LS is still a knock out after 27 months and 32000 miles. Copychick--- several hundred posts ago we discussed floor coverings.... I use white Turkish towels tucked up under the carpet and then under the factory floor mats on the sides of the mats. When the towels get dirty, carefully remove the towels with the dirt and throw them into the washing machine. Cuts down on having to vacuum the floors and stops mat deterioration. I also think it looks special. I get a lot of compliments. Also if you live where they use salt on the roads in the winter, the towels absorb the snow and salt and save the floor mats from getting the salt stains. I have been doing this towel thing for more than 40 years. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I thought that I would pass along some of my personal car care tips that have landed me numerous complements as well!

Interior Care:

1) Carpet Care: To protect the original condition of my interior carpet (and floor mats), I go to Target (or similar store) and purchase a low-pile bathroom rug set that complements the interior of my vehicle. I usually select 2 larger rugs (front) & 2 smaller rugs (rear) with the rubber backing so that they don't slip around while entering/exiting the vehicle. I LOVE this idea because the rugs can simply be washed and dried! This keeps my vehicle smelling fresh and clean, in addition to capturing all of the dirt/debris that gets tracked into the vehicle.

2) Leather Care: To protect & clean the leather interior of my vehicles, I use only the LEXOL line of leather cleaner and conditioner. Additionally, prior to beginning the LEXOL treatment, I use Castrol's Super Clean on a pretty damp cloth (to dilute the strength) and a bucket of warm water to remove the "denim jean stain" that is often left on the seating surfaces of the interior. The superclean product is VERY strong, so I make sure that my cloth is fairly damp before applying the cleaner. Once the seat has been thoroughly cleaned and rinsed, I then begin the LEXOL treatment. Additionally, I use the Superclean on the steering wheel and shift knob (if applicable) followed by rinsing (NO LEXOL applied to these areas for obvious reasons.. ha, ha). Last but not least, with the Superclean, there is no need for heavy rubbing at all (especially on your steering wheel), just gently clean the leather surfaces and the dirt/debris should disappear immediately.

3) Vacuum Tip! Before vacuuming my vehicle, I use a tire scrub brush to "awaken" the flat carpet fibers & loosen the dirt (if any).

4) Window Care: I simply use warm water and two terry cloth towels to clean the windows (one to wash and one to dry), and if you reeeaally want to get anal about the windows, I usually roll the window 1/2 down to clean the part that normally touches the window seal when the windows are closed. After I clean the top half of the window, I close it and then clean the lower half! Viola! :-)

4) Dash & Doors: Usually will use warm water and two terry cloth towels again. If there is a stubborn scuff, I use Super Clean to remove that stain or scuff, followed by water of course! I do not use any "shine-type" products on my dash or doors, I feel that warm water does an adequate job and gives it that "straight from the factory" look all over again!

5) Interior Plastics: To clean my instruments (i.e. speedo, climate control, etc.), I use warm water and two terry cloth towels. This does the trick every time! No harsh abrasives or chemicals applied!

Exterior Care:

1) Car Washing: Personally, I use Zymol car wash liquid or Mothers car wash liquid to clean the exterior of my vehicle.

FIRST: I use a separate bucket of water to do the wheels, wheel wells, exhaust pipe. In order to adequately clean the wheels & ties, I use the following: one terry cloth towel, Mothers Hot Wheels instant wheel cleaner, Castrol Super Clean, toothbrush (for those smaller stubborn areas) and a firm tire brush. Spray the Mothers product on each wheel and let stand for no longer than 90 seconds, rinse with cold water. Follow up by thoroughly cleaning each wheel with the bucket of soapy water (mentioned above) and applying Super Clean to the tires, followed by cleaning each with your tire brush.

SECOND: Once the first step has been completed (and you are awing the shine and cleanliness of your wheels and tailpipe), I then move on to the car wash itself. To do this, I will start fresh with another clean bucket of water and car wash liquid. Rinse the vehicle down thoroughly to loosen debris. Using my lambs wool car wash mit (found at Walmart, PepBoys, etc.), I start from the top and work my way down (i.e. wash hood, trunk, roof surfaces first, followed by the sides and fronts). NOTE: I prefer to wash my vehicle either in my garage or late in the evening (once the sun has begun to set) in order to prevent premature drying and water spots.

To dry my vehicle, I use the California Squeegee followed by a nice terry cloth bath towel, and I dry carefully one section at a time. Once the vehicle has been dried, I then use another towel to dry my wheels and tires. Next, I dry the door, hood and trunk jambs. If you are interested in adding a tire conditioner to your vehicle, I prefer to use the Meguirs Endurance wheel conditioner in NATURAL application. The natural version does not have that obnoxious "crisco oil-type shine" that many of the competitors have. Also, the Endurance product will last on your wheel for a fairly long time, even through WATER! Oh yeah.. RAINX is definitely a must.. I use it on all exterior glass surfaces maybe once every two or three months.. the products stays active for quite some time!

THIRD: IF you are planning on waxing your vehicle, i have been COMPLETELY sold on the Zaino Brothers line of car polishes! I can honestly say that this is TRULY a miracle product! It's easy to use and DOES NOT leave behind the typical white residue found in most waxes and that has been discussed in this forum! Actually, this stuff is soooo hot that I actually use it on the black trim in order to preserve it! It gives it a new car gloss and maintains that condition as well. This product can be used on your tail-lights, headlights, foglights, etc. In an effort to save my fingers (long e-mail I know... ) I would advise you to check out www.zainobros.com website for all of the details behind their car care products! These guys are excellent to deal with and very timely with their shipments and most importantly, their product is VERY inexpensive. I have received numerous complements from individuals concerning my autos, especially after the Zaino treatment has been applied. Check it out.. you will NOT be dissapointed..

Additionally, if you are considering waxing your vehicle, I would STRONGLY advise that you purchase a 6-8 inch electric orbiter buffer.. you can find this product at Walmart for $20. Basically, the orbiter emulates your hand movements when applying wax to your vehicle, with the exception that it does this ~ 2000 times faster than what your hand could do. PLUS, it's very easy to use, you cannot hurt your vehicle with this machine! Most important, you will be able to wax your vehicle in a flash and not have to worry about burning yourself out from the manual labor that would normally be involved. Check out the orbiter polisher at www.walmart.com. They also sell a larger unit, but I believe that the 6 incher works best for those smaller areas, in addition to applying the wax a little better as well.

Continued on next post...