Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• danno9danno9 Member Posts: 6
    Picked up my 02 Xtracab Prerunner TRD on Friday. Drove it home and noticed fluid on my driveway. Turned out a fitting on the transmission was loose. Five minute fix but a little disconcerting. The only other problem I am having is telling people about my truck. If I tell them I bought a Toyota Tacoma the reaction is about the same as if I told them I bought a Buick. So I end up telling them I bought a Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Prerunner SR5 w/TRD package. Now that is a mouthful. But then again it is better to go through that description than to actually be driving a Buick. (If you drive a Buick I don't mean to offend.)
  • nadonnadon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 4-WD Tacoma TRD with the manual 5 speed. The truck has 42,000 miles on it. Ever since I purchased the truck used with 32,000 miles, I have a pronounced vibration in the gear shift when in 5th gear. no vibration is present in either the other four gears or the transfer case lever. Took it to a dealer and the service manager did not think the vibration was severe enough to warrant investigation. The vibration is significant. Additionally, I have developed a leak at the front output shaft of the transfer case. Has anyone had or heard of such problems??? thanks in advance for your comments.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Take it to the dealer once again. If they decline, get in touch with your regional toyota rep.
    While you are at it, go to www.tacomaterritory.com and ask guys on message boards there. We got a lot fo people who know the mechanical side way better than me.
    Just tell them that you've got a Toyota truck that sits higher than their car, AND you can offroad in it. If they don't believe you, challenge them to hop some curbs, and see who does the most :)
  • ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    What wrong with a regular ole' Tacoma? And my Grandfather drove a buick, god rest his soul! :)

Its interesting that danno and nadon, each anagrams of the other, posted in sucession...

Is it a sign?
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    who in the world equates a tacoma with a Buick?
  • danno9danno9 Member Posts: 6
    I took my Prerunner TRD back to the dealer today for another problem. Second trip to the dealer since last Friday when I bought it. There is a noise coming from the engine compartment at 1500 RPM whenever the A/C is turned on. Truck does not have to be moving and it is very easy to replicate. I can only describe the noise as sounding like an owl hoot only constant. The dealer tried messing with the fan settings and the vent settings. No change. Took it back into their shop for over an hour and brought back to me saying they don't know what is causing it. Next Monday I have to take it back in because the traveling factory "Goto Guy" will be there. Anybody else had a problem like this? I am beginning to wonder about this truck now. I own 3 Toyotas and a Lexus so you know I love their products. Just can't help but worry a little about this brand new truck. One other problem that I was told is normal is the little bump I get from the rearend whenever I take my foot off the brake. Feels like driveline slop. Is everyone else experiencing this same problem? Am I bringing up old material here?

Ochizon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a plain old Tacoma. My daughter drives the 98 that I am still paying for. As for the Buick I was just trying to compare what I felt was unexciting as opposed to exciting. No doubt somewhere in my extended family somebody is driving a Buick.
    No idea on AC: mine doesn't do this, and even if it did, I'd not know because I run AC once in a blue moon.
    As far as bump goes: called axle wrap, happens to everyone. THere are things you can do to fix it (not completely), but it's normal.
  • eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Have new Tacoma, regular cab, 2.4 engine. Note that the Toyota "Owner's Manual" doesn't show location of automatic trans. dipstick nor say anything about periodically cking fluid level.

The dipstick is located down below (and I mean down below) the driver's side of engine....almost a hazard to reach same. Just enough room for one hand to slip down alongside the intake manifold to even touch the top of dipstick. What a "human engineering" miscue....rel. the placement of this item that should be easily ck'd and periodically accomplished. :-(
  • humestonhumeston Member Posts: 5
    Bought my Tacoma Crew Cab 4x4 this last Friday. I asked the dealer if there were skid plates available for the trans and transfer case. Response was "don't know"! It came with the front skid plate but I would like to get the others as we do go off road here in the high desert of southern Idaho. Does anyone know of any after market suppliers I can order from. Thanks Mike
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    It has skid plates, did you try looking underneath it??? I know my 2001 TRD came with skid plates on both the tranny and transfer case. They aren't the best thing since they bolt on to the actual component and not the frame, but it is protection none the less.
    Yeah I was under the truck yesterday, and there are zero plates. Went back to the dealer and looked at the five they had on the lot and they had none. Spoke with the service dept guy and he said he didn't think he had seen the crew cabs come with them! I am looking for an after market supplier as the dealership says they can't get any.
    Thanks Mike
    That's bull*!@%. All 4x4s come with slidplates....only the thing is, t-case skid bolts directly onto the t-case. Go to the dealer and look under an Xtracab 4x4 and see if it's the same as yours. If not, ask the dealer to buy some Xtracab skidplates. If they refuse, check on your local junkyard (although I doubt they'll have any) or ask guys at www.tacomaterritory.com if anyone wants to sell you any.
  • ray70ray70 Member Posts: 18
    Mama has given me permission to look for a new pick-up and I am seriously considering a new Tacoma. I am afraid that I have driven American trucks for 30 years and am getting more and more fed-up with them being so durned unreliable. I currently have to fill up with oil and check my gas. The Tacoma looks like the ticket for longevity and reliabilty. I am very interested in the Extended cab, 4 X 4, V6, manual transmission with the "off-road" package.

I want to use the pick-up like a pick-up. I need a vehicle that can carry a load and be able to throw things in the back. I have heard that the beds are "somewhat tinny", dent easily, and not as well double lined as american pickups. Has this been a problem for folks that have a Tacoma? Can I keep from damaging the bed by using a good bedliner (rubber, metal)?

I have heard that seats don't fit "big" people well. I haven't been able to figure out whether big folks are tall, fat or both. I very much fit the fat case and am worried about how well I will fit. The only way to tell if you fit a vehicle is to spend hours driving it. I doubt that my dealer will allow me to do that, but I will try. If I don't fit well in the seat, are their other seats on the market that can be EASILY used in the Tacoma?

I am also a little worried about the TRD, and whether it makes the vehicle too firm or bouncy. What are your thoughts on the TRD. We live in Montana and our mountain roads are very rocky and eroded. I have to admit that I got interested in the Toyota pickup after watching threm traverse the roads in Afganastan. My kids have a cabin 10 miles North of Yellowstone Park at the end of a very steep,eroded, rocky road. The Tacoma's high ground clearance, skid-plates and 4X4 capability should help us get there.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Ray
  • ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    I am going to respond your post under the assumption that it was not just a sarcastic shot at toyota trucks.

That said, I own a std cab manual tranny, 4 cyl 96 tacoma 2wd. Basically, the most teenie tiny pickup ever made.

I am 6'2", 311 lbs., and wear a size 56 coat.

I fit perfectly in this truck.

Sure, its not a Suburban or a Hummer, but for the clas of truck it is, it is comfortable, powerful, fast and reliable.

Some people say that the seats (mine is a bench seat) are SO uncomfortable that they just HAVE to be swapped out for minivan seats, but if that is that much of a concern, then just get the minivan and stop prtending that you're tough enough to even have use of a pickup (ok, that was a bit harsh, but it illustrates my point).

I cant comment on the other things in your post, but if I fit in this tiny thing, anyone can fit in the bigger ones.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    But both my husband and I hate the bucket seats in our 2000 Xtra cab, 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder, 5 speed Tacoma. I've driven other pickups (Nissan hardbody, two Chevy pickups, a half ton and a 3/4 ton, a GMC S15, and even a 3/4 ton dodge van) and have never had a problem until we bought this one.

The bed is also the lightest of any of the ones we have had in the past.

On the plus side, it has been relatively (but not totally) mechanically reliable. The 5 speed with the 4 cylinder engine has adequate power for our extreme commute - nothing extra, but adequate - and it gets good gas mileage. Most other vehicles that would give us the power to keep up freeway speeds on our commute would require a 6 cylinder, probably (we go from 6,000 feet to sea level). We have had a couple of maintenance issues that have been there one day and then disappeared - once the tranny was acting like the syncro rings were gone, and recently it was acting like the clutch was going, but both problems disappeared and have not yet returned. We did have a radiator problem that ended up being replaced under the extended warranty.

I very much want to get rid of this thing as soon as we can afford to. Unfortunately, it is depreciating faster than we can pay it off. I hate to put any money into replacing the seats at this point. By the way, my husband is 6' and heavy. I'm 5', and we both hate it!
    I will attempt to address your issues:

I own a supercharged 2001 Ext-cab V6 4x4, TRD (off-road package).

1.)I will first say that yes the bed is very tinny and it doesn't take much to bend or put dents in it. So,I proceeded to get a Line-X spray in bedliner and I have not had a problem with the dents anymore. I have hauled everything from hay to firewood and the Line-X does a wonderful job.

2.)As far as the seats go (I have buckets), I don't think that they are uncomfortable at all. I just did a 6000 mile round trip to Yellowstone and back and spent upto 14 hours on the road at a time. Just take a LONG test drive. Tell the salesman you are concerned about the seats and want to get a good feel for them. Tell him you are very interested and if the seats work out you will probably buy. They will let you take it for a long spin!!!

3.)As far as the TRD suspension goes again you will have to test drive it. Drive both the TRD and non-TRD and traverse over all types of terrain and see how each handles. I basically got the TRD package because I wanted the rear locker. I have already swapped front and rear shocks and put new coilovers on. I wasn't all that impressed with how the TRD suspension rode, but I still thought it was a million times better than the non-TRD.

Anymore questions just ask.
    Thank you. That is exactly the type of response I had hoped for. I appreciate your honesty, and your solutions. I will try to use all of your suggestions.

Ray
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4x4 TRD 5 speed. 149000 plus miles now, original clutch. Just changed the shocks recently, and brakes at 120K on the front. The back brakes are fine still. I check the oil EVERY time I open the gas tank, and have never added a drop of oil between changes. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. Love the seats with genuine imitation sheepskin covers. The ride is harsh compared to a Lincoln or something like that, but it doesn't bother me at all. Had the bed leveled off with bricks once. Front end was light, but still stable overall. I have a below the rail bedliner that came with the truck and it has held up well. I do use it as a truck! I like the TRD thing with the locking rear, too. Never HAD to use it, but it sure is nice to know it's there. I get 20 mpg regularly, on the rod and in town mixed. I love my truck. Get one!
    I truly appreciate everyones help. I think Saturday will be a good day for a LONG test drive.

Ray
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    "The bed is also the lightest of any of the ones we have had in the past."

-what exactly do you mean by this?
    There are 2 things I noticed about the bed. The first is that it seems like it is shallower - the sides aren't as tall as our old '88 Nissan hardbody or even the S-15 (though that could be faulty memory - we bought it the first year it came out and only kept it for a couple of years). But what I was referring to is that the metal does dent and scratch much easier. I've never had a bed liner - just shells, campers or nothing on the various pickups I've owned. The Nissan's bed was hardly scratched when we sold it (11 years, 290,000 miles, and at least 5 years use as a courier vehicle after we bought it). The Tacoma already is showing paint scratches from a cooler riding in the back and a dent (not a huge one or anything). I would definitely get a bed liner for it.

It isn't fair to compare it to my last '76 Chevy. That had carried a camper for 50,000 miles before I bought it, and then I used it to haul hay, grain, wood shavings, tack and a horse trailer. I don't think I added much to the collection of scratches and dents it already had, but it looked like what it was - a beat up old farm truck. I sold that one in very good working condition with 125,000 miles on it in '92.
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    Has anybody had problems with the dash clock going on and off? How was it fixed? My 2001 DBL cabs clock does this but never looses time.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    When I apply brake at high speed (>60 MPH), the steering wheel on my Tacoma (96, 4x2, ext. cab, 72K miles) vibrates a lot. In fact, at 75-80 MPH, it will vibrate even at the slightest touch on brake pedal. Someone told me it's alignment problem.
    Never had alignment done after purchased new. Brake pads changed at 50K miles. I just don't want to have the alignment done and somehow the problem continues.
    I think you're due for an alignment. It could also be that tires aren't balanced properly.
    As for brake causing vibration: rotors could be warped. Do an proper balance and alignment and see what happens.
    Have you tried getting the tires rotated and balanced. Sounds to me like you have a weight off on a tire. Also, It only cost $40 for a 4-wheel alignment. When you changed brake pads did you turn the rotors? They may be warped. I know you don't want the problem to continue, but you are going to have to start somewhere.
  • wv4wheelerwv4wheeler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 ext cab v6 TRD SR5 that I have owned for almost a year, low miles. Its been a great truck so far but all stock. Any advise on the pros and cons of adding a supercharger would be appericated. It still has the stock Goodyear wrangler GSA'S, I've notices the new Tacoma's have BFGoodrich mud terrain's as stock, any feedback on these tires would be helpful,
    Thanks Rick
    Pros:
    1. 265hp vs stock 190.
    2. All the chicks you want, if you win the races :)

Cons:
    1. Cuts engine life (although, chances are, the blower will die first. I think I've read other peoples' stories on how they went on to 100K with a charger) if you don't use it properly.
    2. Premium fuel all the way.
    3. For a 1999, you WILL need bigger fuel injectors. Supra ones will do. If you don't get them, you will suffer pinging problems. Unfortunately for you, 2001s and 2002s have had that problem fixed, but not 99/00 ones.
    4. If you have an automatic tranny, you may want (and probably will need to) to do an upgrade so that you don't burn it down. www.levelten.com
    5. You should have thought of this earlier, when you were still under warranty, b/c Toyota would cover it under original drivetrain warranty. I don't know what warranty you'll get now.

Contrary to the common belief, if you drive calm, you will not suffer gas milage penalties. It's only when you rev it up and the charger kicks in, thats when you start seeing your gas level needle go down.
    For more info on this, go to www.tacomaterritory.com and ask on the boards there, and read www.gadgetonline.com, under 4-runner section. That guy is an active member of the TTORA club, and knows what he's talking about.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    sc0rpi0, smgilles, thanks for your suggestions.
    I have taken all the recommended regular maintenance done at the dealer at every 15K interval but don't know if the dealer turned the rotors after they changed the brake pads (btw what do you mean by turning the rotors, resurfacing?)
    Since I plan to bring it in for 75K maintenace in about a month, I'll request 4 wheel alignment and inspection on rotors for warping. I know the alignment is extra charge but guess worth the money. What do they do if the rotors are warped? The rotors were probably resurfaced when the brake pads were changed (don't they resurface them as default?), and my friend tells me they usually cannot be resurfaced more than once. So worst case scenario will be replacing two or maybe all four rotors...
    Yes, (turn=resurface). I imagine the dealer resurfaced them, but they may not have. Also, you can turn a rotor more than once, but what I have come across is that if a rotor is warped and you turn them the problem just comes back. So yes, worst case scenario is that you replace the rotors (there are only 2). The rear brakes are drums. I would also ask them to balance the tires. Tires can throw weights.
    I have had a S/C on my truck (2001 4x4) for the past 25,000 miles and so far have had no problems. I do have slight pinging, but not very often and it is easy to drive around it. I know the pre-01's have smaller injectors so getting fuel delivery compounds the problem on the 96-00's. As far as the S/C cutting engine life I have to disagree with Scorp, but time will only tell. I think with proper maintenance it will go for a long time, as with anything. As far as gas mileage goes I still get 20-22 on the interstate and around 16-17 in town. I imagine it would be better if I was easier on the gas.

I have an A/T transmission and have also had zero problems, it does not slip or hesitate for a second. When I put the S/C on I switced all fluids in the driveline to synthetic and put on the largest tranny cooler that would fit. I have a 100,000 mile warranty so if the tranny goes I will be receiving another one compliments of Toyota.

All I can say is that it is the best $1850 I have ever spent and I will never own another Toyota without one. Once your hear the whine of the S/C and you feel that kick in the pants you will be amazed. The only downfall I have noticed so far is that you need to run 92 octane. The best part is the looks on peoples' faces when you they can't get around you. In fact just the other night some guy in a New turbo Jetta (200hp. 6sp) was in a lane that ends. Instead of getting over he thought he would just go by me before the lane ended. Well the light turned green we took off and he ended up severly disappointed and gave me his best wave with his middle finger.

About the tires, the new Tacoma's come with Rugged trail BFG's not MT's. I swithced out the Rugged trail for some BFG AT/KOs, since I wasn't all that impressed with them.
  • sandmbsandmb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Tacoma (4x4, SR5, TRD, Auto). The brakes have felt soft from day one (currently 55k miles). The fronts were replaced under warranty after it was determined by the dealer (and my numerous complaints) that they were not working properly (including rotors, pads, calip., and master cylinder) at 34K miles. Recently the truck has a vibration at any speed and is more pronounced when the brake is applied. The rotors were replaced again because they were warped(over worked because rear brakes were not adjusted properly according to dealer), so the rear e-brake system was replaced (not cable), and new tires were put on at 53K miles (dealer suggested a belt broken in the old tires). The shake/vibration decreased with the new tires, but is definitely still occurring (sometimes severely)and originating from the front of the vehicle. If it is not the brakes hanging up and causing a problem, what could it be? Also, old tires were rotated/balance every 8k miles, no pulling to side.
  • eomckameyeomckamey Member Posts: 26
    Clock runs perfectly BUT Toyota's engineers placed the digital optional clock location in an impossible to view area. The steering wheel completely blocks the driver's view of same. (Just provided my feedback to Toyota Customer Service in hopes that more attention might be paid in future vehicles).
  • joee1joee1 Member Posts: 16
    I considering purchasing a Tacoma but am in a quandry as to whether I should get the 2wd auto or the 4wd auto.

I've never driven anything but front wheel drive vehicles and live in a rural area where I have to drive in snow. I have no plans to take the truck off-road, but am concerned about how a rear wheel drive handles in the snow. There a 2 steep hills that I have to negotiate in order to get to town.

Any advice?
    Toyotas are really light in the [non-permissible content removed]-end. I have a 4wd and I still put 3-400 lbs of firewood back there every winter. If you don't think you will ever need the 4wd, then just buy a v6 pre-runner with the locker. You can engage the locker and you will get up the hills with no problems. Between the locker and some added weight you should have no problems.
    not a Prerunner, just an ordinary 4 cyl. 2WD Tacoma. It won't go far in the snow at all, and I speak with experience - when my husband had surgery one winter he had to get a tow truck to move it off of the snow it was parked on (everything else had melted, but not what was under the truck and some of our driveway).

Another time we took it up a steep dirt road that our Wrangler goes up with ease in 2WD. I was white knuckled the whole way because of the light back end slipping around.
  • nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    If you get a 2WD just get a set of 4 good snow tires for the winter and you won't have any problems. I have 2wd and ever since getting snows I have had no problems getting around (this is in upstate NY, and no that does not mean the bronx.) A locker or LSD would probably be helpful, but as long as you're not trying to recreate a nascar race in a foot of snow, you should be fine. Some people swear by extra weight in the back, I tried that, and found that it just made stopping harder, along with eating extra gas. So i go without, and have yet to regreat my decision.
  • sierra691sierra691 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone out there have a dash rattle? Has anyone noticed how easly the paint scratches. How about the rubber on the front over fenders on the TRD falling out??
    Yep, all known problems. There was a procedure posted by someone to fix the dash (I think it involves a couple of rubber or foam strips that you stick between the dash and your windshield), but I don't remember where it is now. One thing is for sure, though: unless you really trust your dealer, do not take the truck to them. They'll say it's a "normal behavior", mangle up the interior and waste a day of your life. Fix it yourself. Look for a fix in this thread, I think.
    Paint issue: nope. I have a 2002, and while I do have scratches, they are offroad scars. In fact, I was driving to Houston last weekend and got stuck behind a truck loaded with small gravel, that was flying all over the road. I got hit with gravel for maybe 5 seconds while another person was passing him. When I got home, I didn't see any damage.
    Fender flares: known issue, take it to the dealer, they'll fix it.
    Bought my Tacoma Crew Cab three weeks ago. Just noticed today the apparent paint problem along the lower rocker panels on both sides. Looks like a super case of orange peel to me. Went to the dealers lot an hour ago and looked at the last remaining Tacoma Crew in stock. It has the same paint problem as mine. Both have bare primered metal showing inside on the seam as well. Is this normal???? Thanks Mike
    Nope, it's never normal that paint peels off. Take it to your dealer, and if they refuse to honro warranty, get the phone number for your Toyota regional rep and call them directly.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    tacoma? no thx. ill stick to the rangers. i thought that extra initial charge for a toyota meant at least it included a finished paint job. i have seen the light on toyota quality, that's for sure. it isn't what it's all cracked up to be sounds like.
    The orange peel you are talking about at the bottom of the quarter panels is normal. Toyota has this on all Tacomas to add extra protection from the rocks. You will notice it runs from behind the front tire to tailgate. It is only about 8-12"s high.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    While every manufacturer has its issues, I find it curious that you find the build quality of a Ford Ranger superior to that of a Toyota Tacoma. Not a once did I see a mention on the Tacoma Msg Bds that their doors were prone to falling off (like the Ford Rangers...)
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Now I have heard it all! My GOD.

Tbunder, come on man. Have you not been to the Ranger problems discussion is awhile. Believe it or not, it does exist. I know exactly what the guy is talking about. If you inspect the paint really well, all along the bottom, the finish is kind of rippled. Looks fine, and works awesome. The next best thing to having the entire length of the truck Line-X'd. Just back off dude.
    I guess if you want peeling off paint, get a Tacoma. If you want rear diffs blowing up in parking lot on an OFFROAD model of a truck, get a Ranger.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
  • imacpc1imacpc1 Member Posts: 2
    Have 2002 Pre-Runner Double Cab V-6 that has developed a "clunk" from the rear after braking. It usually occurs after braking to a full stop in situations of rapid deacceleration such as stop & go traffic. If I let up off the brake just before coming to a full stop, the clunk does not happen. The truck has a stock factory suspension. Ive been told this problem might be caused by axle or spring wrap. Im told this is where the rear leaf springs are too soft and go into an "S" position during acceleration instead of maintaining a normal bowed position. This applies a twisting or wrapping force to the axle that is not relieved (or unwrapped) until the brakes have been released after deacceleration, which then causes a clunk. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem. If so, is it caused by axle or spring wrap or is it something else? Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
    Yes, you have heard correctly it is "axle wrap". I can be cured with either shackles or AALs (add-a-leaf). It is much more severe on automatics also.
This discussion has been closed.