Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My Dream Car

djfrankdjfrank Member Posts: 1
This is my dream car......
I am 16 and was dreaming of getting this car....I am a Dj From CAlifronia and was wondering if it was possible to obtain this car..
a 1968 Shelby Mustang Gt500kr(i think it is kr)THis car is da bomb...also the 1967 shelby gt500 is tight...does anybody have a shelby gt500 or gt350 for sale around these years....i love the cars and really need one now....i understand that in 1968 they only produced 2050 gt500 and the 1968 model only had around 300 gt500(that model)
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi dj....here are the production numbers for 1968 Shelbys

GT350 fastback 1,253
    convert 404
    GT500 fastback 1,140
    convert 402

GT500KR fastback 933
    GT500KR convert 318

Total 4,451

So as you can see, they aren't exactly "rare" but the production numbers are pretty low. Also, at this time these cars were now built by Ford in Michigan. The Gt350 lost power since it now had a regular production 302 and not the hi-po 289. The GT500 still had the 428 V8 rated at 360HP, but only one carb. The KR replaced the regular 500 when the 428 Cobra Jet engine came out....it was rated, probably underrated, at 335HP.

These cars are readily available, and a nice one with no weird stories and good papers and accurate equipment would cost around $35,000...of course, over the top restorations for show may cost more.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...for a long time, I have been thinking about starting to collect some cars I love. A 70s/80s Rolls Corniche convertible is high on that list.

But I have just been offered a very rare bird: a Jaguar XJ6 Coupe - beautiful, truly. And yet, at over $20k, not a bargain, I think?! That'll keep me wondering tonight...
    Rather substantially overpriced IMO....one of those interesting cases of rarity not equaling value. Many people find the styling awkward is one reason, and often prefer the 4-door for this reason. 8K-10K should be enough to buy a very nice car.
  • shelby67shelby67 Member Posts: 2
    The most ultimate car I could ever dream about is the 1967 Mustang GT 500 SHELBY. I would never be able to afford one but I can still dream. Plus I could never find one in such premiere shape that somebody would want to get rid of it anyway.
  • bw403bw403 Member Posts: 7
    When I heard that Ford was going to change the styling of the '60 Tbird I was shocked! How could they do away with the most beautiful styling ever produced in an automobile? To my surprise, they came out with another gorgeous series from '61 through '63. Especially the Sports Roadsters of '62 and '63. Unfortunately, I cannot recall any other time in history when any manufacturer ever produced such spectacular styling back to back.
    Today, I still look for anything produced by anyone that even comes close to those cars. I doubt it will ever happen, but if it does, I'm ready to buy.
  • bort1bort1 Member Posts: 13
    Dream: '70 HemiCuda or split-window Vette w/427
    Reality: I was too stupid to realize the value of a black '63 T-Bird when I was 16. The car was mint and being sold by a widow for $4500 back in 1994. The last time I saw it about a year later, it was still sitting in a carport with a sign for $3500 on it. Should have bought it.
    Actually, still not that valuable a car...you should be able to find a decent enough coupe for around $6,500.
  • harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    The 1965 AC (Shelby) Cobra is pure beauty and power. Carroll Shelby managed to fit in a 6989cc engine to produce a 7 litre Cobra in 1965. It had 345 bhp in standard form. A tuned Shelby Cobra car gave 480 bhp or more. This car did 0-60mph in 4.2 secs. It was known as the world's fastest-accelerating production car in 1965.
    A 289 (baby) Cobra is a beauty also.That has a softer ride and can do 0-60mph in 5.5 secs.
    I am thinking of doing a Cobra kit this summer. I'm looking for a 1980's (5.0 litre) Mustang as a donor car.It may not be the real thing but I'll take it.
  • harry0harry0 Member Posts: 42
    This is the place I will be getting my kit from.

http://www.factoryfive.com
  • blarg1blarg1 Member Posts: 59
    Nice cars guys, wake up.

My dream car is whatever was ahead of the moron in the left lane going 52 miles per flippin hour on 355 last night. He got home a good half hour ahead of me. I saw a car five miles down the road, then the moron and then 30 cars stacked up behind the moron and then there was me.

My dream car is an M1 tank, full load out and no restrictor plate on the engine. HooHaa!
  • smokin_olds442smokin_olds442 Member Posts: 41
    ...my dream car used to be the Olds 4-4-2 and now since i own a '68 4-4-2 i don't have to dream about it anymore. of course i do have a bad @$$ project car i'm working on, but you don't wanna hear about that....
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My dream car is a 1980-1987 Jaguar Vanden Plas. Of course, i would have to remove the finiky old XK engine, and put a modern Mustang Cobra powerplant under the hood. Of course, there would be all kinds of problems getting all the electricals to work, and probably fairly expensive to boot, but hey, somebody figured out how to do it with a Chevy engine, so why not a Ford?
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    An all wheel drive GTO?

(Actually, that'd be pretty cool.)
  • smokin_olds442smokin_olds442 Member Posts: 41
    a high horsepower all wheel drive GTO would be pretty bad...but unfortunately that's not what i'm workin on.
    I'd love to build an MGB with a Mazda Twin Turbo tucked so very neatly under the hood that nobody could possibly tell. Wouldn't a completely stock-looking, fairly quiet MGB doing 0-60 in about 5 seconds be pretty interesting?
  • carphotocarphoto Member Posts: 37
    I've always wanted to build a Lotus Europa with a Mazda Rotary. Of course being 6'4" I'd have to put a Gurney bulge in the roof.

I do have a Devin body that is destined for either a TR3 or a Morgan chassis. Gotta build a new garage first.

Cheers
  • ndancendance Member Posts: 323
    Have you seen the Grassroot Motorsports Spitfire project car? That is one seriously cool hotrod. A really nicely done rotary conversion, bright yellow, panasports, much suspension work. FWIW that's the only car magazine that I think is really worth the money.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I would love to own a fully modern, one-off GT-40. Something with big vented and cross drilled Brembos w/ABS, 18 inch wheels, some interior creature comforts and a modern engine/transmission package - possibly a supercharged 5.4 V8 DOHC Ford/backed up by a six speed.

I wouldn't have the guts to drive an original on the road.
    Ah, drive it...people even race them and crack them up...that's what Ford built it for...bang it up, bend it back, rivet some beer cans to it, paint it with a brush and push it back out onto the track...this is what race cars were born to do! Worst thing to cross my sight is a racing car with heritage all dressed up like a little doll in a hothouse.....ugh!

Rumors abound that Ford wants to build a modern version of the GT40, with a V-12 this time...a supercar to compete with Ferrari, etc.
    that's the beauty of ultra-expensive old race cars. If you crash your Ferrari GTO, what's the cost of repair? 100K? less?. What's the car worth (at this point I have *no* idea, but I'll say a couple of million). Really, the main risk is of the car being stolen (and that's what insurance is for). If you think about it, most of the value of a GT40 (and cars in this class, value-wise) is in the paperwork/history, and a few chunks of metal with serial numbers or other id's.

(Reminds me of the time I saw a Boss 429 (its a hemi! its not a hemi! its a dessert topping!) for sale in Hemmings for several grand. What you got was the firewall (plus a litle car on each side) and the title + some other paperwork history. Perfect for that radiator cap restoration. (Which I expect a passel of Shelby Mustangs have already had).)
    I'm sure I've mentioned this one before...But this one guy's collection of Yenko Camaros I've seen written up in a couple of magazines really takes the cake.

(For the 442 guy...these are basically factory 427 Camaros, which in turn are just SS-396 Camaros minus some trim + cold air induction + an L72)

So...this guy has one of each color and transmission combination. A little set piece auto museum filled with, I dunno, 20 or so *identical* 1969 Camaros. All just sitting there.

Sometimes I think it would be funny, given Bill Gates' wealth to buy *every* ZL1 Camaro (for instance). The last couple might cost a few million, but what the h***. Take all 69 cars (or however many are left) and build some sort of 'Carhenge' thing in Wyoming or somewhere. Extreme religion towards cheap manufactured goods deserves some sort of response.
    I do find it interesting that some folks will buy their "dream car" and then just let it sit there. One wonders if the dream was in fact the chase and not the car itself.

A nice Ferrari GTO should bring about 7 million.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I couldn't live with myself if I wrapped an original GT-40 around a tree while pushing it to its limits at Road America. This is a non-renewable resource. I know there are those who do this, but it's not for me.

If I had an original GT-40 I would drive it - sometimes quite fast, but I would never take it to the mall or drive a few hundred miles to visit my brother with the thing.

My dream car COULD be used as a daily or semi-daily driver. A nice Ferrari GTO, a GT-40 or a V16 Cadillac are treasures, not dream cars.
    Oh, a GT40 is very renewable...in fact, you could actually duplicate the car nut for nut and bolt for bolt. The likelihood of smashing it up beyond repair in a vintage race is very small, practically impossible. These old competition cars especially are far from original even now...many were rebodied, rebuilt, patched, welded, etc., as they were intended. Scars on a race car are badges of honor, not something to be avoided.

Of course you wouldn't be racing a V-16 Cadillac, but you could certainly drive it on long tours and use it. These cars are perfectly capable of 1,000 mile trips. And collectors know that the worst old car to buy is a museum car. The ones that are used are by far the best cars to own.
  • achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    as to post 23, my father has always told me, "wantin' is better than havin' "
    There is a certain wisdom in that, especially if you don't take it completely literally, but put a little spin on it as it applies to life.

Chasing down a dream car can be very exciting and quite interesting. A lot llike detective work, with hot leads turning cold, and sudden surprises where you least expect them.

You can make a great game out of it.

For one of my "dream" cars (one man's dream is another's nightmare?), a little Fiat 600 with sunroof, I thought I might just order the car piece by piece through Ebay...whenever a Fiat 600 part came up at a cheap price, I'd buy it and put it in a big box. Sooner or later I'd have a whole car.
  • tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    Dream car: ~1953 Hudson Hornet - bone stock.

Dream Vehicle: 1965 Willys M-678 or M-679 van.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    I want an Alfa Spider duetto

http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/osawa/carAlbum/alfa/Duetto.JPEG

I want to build the engine to about 160 - 175 horsepower, and put an improved suspension on it, but not to harsh for daily driving. I dont' want the engine wound too tight, but I want 'substantial' power for daily driving. Perhaps a newer engine than the original.

Porsche synchros for the transmission, of course

No intent to make it in any way authentic - pick the best features of all the Alfa years, and perhaps some things not even from Alfa at all, such as better seats, etc.

My object is to build a car for ME, regardless of resale value, and then to drive it whenever I choose.

I haven't done any research into it, but I don't think this is an impossible dream or impossibly expensive, except for the lack of mechanical skill I have and lack of garage space to build it in.

Oh, that and the $20K to buy and build it with. That reminds me. I have to check my lottery tickets...

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song about a Cadillac smuggled out of the factory "one piece at a time."
  • nsumasarnsumasar Member Posts: 1
    any one ever heard of a toyota 800 they dont make it in this country it was a 2 cylinder air cooled engine manual transmission
  • 66vette66vette Member Posts: 5
    As you can tell from my posted name, my would be my 66 corvette i just purchased 3 weeks ago. As i was reading earlier, i do agree that the chase is sometimes better than the catch, but not with a car like this. The great thing for me in finaly reaching my dream, was that my wife and kids were involved in the process. My 10 year old son will never forget going to Canada and trailoring it back to the United States
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...is a mint-condition 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in white.
  • nasdaqrobnasdaqrob Member Posts: 8
    After seven years of shopping and saving, building up credits on his GM card, my dad finally bought his new Corvette convertible. Triple black. Every option (including the automatic :( ?). The car is gorgeous, perfect in every aspect. We both love the car. But as he was driving me back to college last weekend, he said he was already thinking about selling it. This blew my mind. How could he want something so much and then lose his love for it so quickly? Now I realize that he was more in love with the idea of the Corvette than the machine itself. I can only wonder what will be the target of his next chase.
  • 66vette66vette Member Posts: 5
    I can believe your story, in 95 i had the same dream for a newer vette and when i bought it, i had it for less than 1 year. Since i have my life long dream car now, (my 66 stingray), my drean now is to keep it perfect for my boys to enjoy many,many years from now.
    Lemko, if you are still around, there must be a story behind your choice, i would like to hear it.
This discussion has been closed.