Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We have installed classic soft trim leather in quite a few cars...and yes, the quality is a little better than most manufacturers factory leather. The only bad part is the costs are higher than factory installed.

Rich
    Got some solid info today on the MPV entertainment system...

--plays dvd, mp3 and audio cd's
    --self contained roof mounted system
    --FM modulated through the vehicles radio system
    --2 infa-red headphones included
    --7'' screen with wide angle capabilities
    --large, easy to use remote control
    --front facing remote sensor so DVD can be controled from all seats, including front seats with remote.
    --selectable aspect ratio
    --outputs for video games or camcorder
    --outputs for wired headphones
    --lighted controls on DVD unit

Mid to Late May 2002 launch...Entertainment is port installed. No prices on the spec sheet.

Rich
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It's available with or without moonroof.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    WTG Mazda... you hit another homer on the entertainment system! That thing has some great features!

/j
  • doublel9doublel9 Member Posts: 9
    Will take delivery of Sage Green MPV ES w/moonroof on Sat. Paying $250 over invoice. But, got dealer to throw in 5 years worth of oil changes (10 changes total). so feel I got pretty close to invoice and he is one of three local Queens NY dealers. I'm pumped. Just hope this wind noise debate is fueled by hyper-critical owners who think they're buying an LS 430.

A bit on what I found out about current pricing: 1. I was in the DC area this week and visited a $1 over invoice dealer. Read the fine print folks -- $299 Processing Fee on all sales! So, the deal is similar to what I got in NY 200-300 over invoice! FitzMall is good but it seems best deals are on strippers.(Vans w/ few options.)
    2. Got a quote from Autobytel at $350 over. Guy calls me back yesterday and says he has two ES's available at $300 BELOW invoice if i close by 4/30 (end of month) Swears he is not scamming and gives me VIN of both vans. I beleive that this was legit (Maxon Mazda) but didn't want Silver or Sand -- can you say everyone and their grandmother? -- so I paid the extra to get the Sage ES w/roof as there was only ONE in entire Northeast from the local who had located the car.

Moral of the story: Pay more than $300 over invoice, you are not doing your homework.

A question: what prices have others got on Extended Warranty from dealer? Thoughts on Dealer Warranty vs Warranty Gold? And finally, to extend warranty or not?
  • celio66celio66 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I recently got a quote from a mazda dealer on Hillside Ave. in Queens, NY for $380 over invoice on a midnight blue ES w/4 seasons, roof rack, fog light, bumper step plate, and cd changer, Is it a good price?

Double19, Can you tell me which 3 dealers in Queens did you visited? and what are their quotes?

Thanks
  • daddyo4daddyo4 Member Posts: 7
    Picked up our '02 ES, fog, 4 season, 6 cd, mud, moon, spoiler, step and rack in sand metallic. $100 over invoice. So far so good - it drove home nice! No GFX, no DVD, no auto mirror. Mirror will be installed after factory in a week. When my daughter is facing forward, we'll shop for DVD's. Pretty positive buying experience in SE MI. CJP
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    This week I was paying special attention to the wind noise level and here it is what if found out. On Sunday we took a 15 miles trip to our friend's house. In the morning, while we were driving, weather was great with wind outside 0-2 mph. The first signs of wind noise inside the MPV we noticed at 60 MPH but you had to really pay attention with the radio off. At 80 MPH you could clearly hear the wind noise but it wasn't so bad.

When we were coming back in the late afternoon the same route the wind speed outside was about 10-15 mph. This crosswind had considerable effect on the wind noise level inside the car. While driving at 40 MPH the wind level was of that in the morning while driving at 80 MPH. I can confirm that with crosswinds there is significant increase in wind noise level but IMO not to the point that it would be unacceptable.
    MB
    Audia8q, may I ask if when you install aftermarket leather do you do seats only or the lining of the doors' panels as well?

MB
    daddy, congratulations on your new car. Enjoy it! Speaking of mirror, in your post did you refer to the rear view mirror with compass and ext temp? Do you know if this can be installed by a dealer once you bought without it?

Is it aftermarket mirror of factory?

MB
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I would definitely buy an exented warranty, if you intend to keep the MPV for 6 or more years. I found out that Mazda warranty is way too expensive. The one you want is the top-of-the-line warranty (exclusionary) and the dealer wanted $1,500 for that (sticker price was about $1900). That is for 6-years/72,000 miles.

I've requested quotes from several extended warranty companies on the net and exclusionary warranties ran from about $900 to $1,200.
    mazda_guy - I tried to get the dealer to install. Sales guy originally said he could add. They day the car arrived he said he could not get the part and it could be awhile until available. He was going to charge me about $200 (or less). I found a local place to get the Donnelly auto-dimming with temp and compasss display installed for $245. I'm adding one to my wife's Honda CR-V tomorrow. CJP aka daddyo
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Could this have been a misprint? The WSJ article from last week about how car sales recently were higher than van/suv sales actually stated that some Honda dealers are now discounting upto $500 off msrp on the exaulted Ody. The sky must be falling, pigs can fly, this is truly an amazing thing if it is true because until now the Ody was the only vehicle in America that did not depreciate,you know 6 month waits, well over sticker,arrogant dealers. Is the world finally getting back to normal?
  • vbnsmanvbnsman Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a Sand 2002 MPV LX with Lux,Security,Roof Rack and Rear Bumper step plate for $300 over invoice at Jay Marks in Houston. Over all I am enjoying the van. One minor complaint. Yesterday I parked the van at work in the hot 92 degree sun. When I got home my daughter opened the rear hatch door and sat on the edge of the opening. When she got up a portion of the stripping came loose from the opening and she had a long tar looking black stain on her pants. Has anyone had similar problems?
    You can get it either way.
    Celio -- Write me at this e-mail BigL999@hotmail.com and I will fill in the dealer details and strategies.

Also: dulnev. Got the Mazda dealer exclusionary warranty (called Pinnacle through National Auto Care group and Chubb) down to $1000 plus tax for 6/75K. Would you take that over Warranty Gold exclusionary for $829 no tax. Both policies are loaded with same features.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    The mirror that Mazda offers is manufactured by Donnelly. You can buy it from an independent reseller for less. I was quoted CDN$359.00 by a Mazda dealer (before taxes and installation). Bought it from 12voltshop (http://www.12voltshop.com/cadaids.asp) for $320 plus taxes and installed it yesterday. Seems to work fine.

Installation was a little hassle because I don't have enough tools (yet). Also the kit that comes from Mazda already includes small socket adapter to connect to +12V in the joint box. I had to use the tap-in connector supplied with the Donnelly's kit to tap into a wire. Fortunately I have workshop manual and wiring diagrams for my 2000 LX, so I at least knew what I was doing :-)
  • budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    I was thinking about installing those mirror as well on my MPV myself. But I have never done such job before so I'm a little leery about doing it myself. Is it hard to install if I don't have the wiring diagrams? I have installed quite a few stereo system before and is it that easy? If it is that easy, then I'm home free.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Do you have a roof rack?
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    With respect to wind noise, what if you take the cross bars off of the roof rack when you are not using it? If so, then all you would have are the supports running long-ways on the van. Maybe that would reduce the noise a bit.

Is it possible and has anyone tried it yet?
    I just got an e-mail from a Mazda dealer w ho was trying to sell me a MPV (but lost) that Mazda just announced $1000 incentive. Does anyone have any info? Please if you do let us know!

I am taking delivery on Saturday of a car my dealer just got in today. I left a deposit on Amex, but I haven't signed any documents, so I need to find out about the incentive.

I hope I can save a grand. Then I'll absolutely love Mazda and might even like the dealer a little bit.
    Yes I have roof rack factory installed and I have cross bars as well. I never took cross bars from the roof because I didn't feel I need to do that.

MB
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    You bet, my dealer called me today and said I will be getting a 1,000 bucks from Mazda when I pick up my MPV this sat. OldStyle is styling!
    BTW, I signed docs two weeks ago I still get the cash. I do not know if it is because I am doing S-Plan.
    oldstyle,

Have you taken delivery of your MPV yet?

The reason I ask is that I got my MPV a week and a half ago at S-plan as well. I wonder if I can get the $1,000.

Is it a rebate or dealer incentive?

Thanks.
    Old Style -- this is great news. You're dealer really called you with the news? Great stuff.

Will the price of the MPV be lowered or will the money be sent to you from Mazda? I'm anticipating problems from dealer so any facts you know would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if a dealer can keep a deposit if they have located and got a car from another dealer, but the buyer backs out before delivery or signing of docs? Just curious in case i get probs from dealer with getting incentive money.
    Just got to work (i should be working) and had a message from my dealer CONFIRMING the cash is on purchased MPVs. I belive the 1K is for those who take delivery on or after May 1 because she said that it was "worth waiting till May to get your van." Now, after i spoke to the dealer yesterday, i called Mazda and asked about the MPV incentives and they did not mention the 1K. But as i seem to recall, Mazda starts incentives on the second day of each month so maybe the dealer got advanced notice.

About the deposit, my paperwork said that the deposit is NOT refundable unless the vehicle does not arrive as ordered or you are turned down for financing. Now if you did not sign any paper, i believe they have no legal standing to keep your deposit if you back out.
    Just spoke w/ dealer, it is 1K OR financing (0% or 5.9%). She said she forgot I was doing the 0%. WHOA, that's a big OR !!!. Oh well, will take the cash. Was going to finance 10K @ 0% but will go with 9K @ 5.9% (bank for 2 yrs). Subtracting out the cost of the loan, that works out to $437 cold FREE CASH.
    The MSRP on the entertainment package will be $1200.

GFX....avail on ES model and LX w/o moonroof.
    The moonroof will be avail with GFX for the 2003 model year.

4 Seasons Package previously required 1LX or 3LX package....now it only requires AC8/ Rear A/C. Plz note this will be on MPV's that should hit the dealers in june.
    Received delivery on 4/29 and NOW there's cash back!!! I took the 0% for 24 months, zero down. I'll leave the cash in the bank and make up the $1k easy anyway.

Had the EC mirror installed today $245+tx. It works great.
  • howdydhowdyd Member Posts: 10
    .....So , now we can get MPV for invoice , plus 1K cash?
    No matter how you slice it, you CANNOT come out ahead -- or for that matter even close -- by just "leaving the money in the bank" or any other reasonably safe investment and taking the 0% 2 year financing vs. buying the car outright and taking the $1K. The highest yielding one year CD is now 3.21%! and remember, you can only put HALF of your money at that rate as you need the rest to draw against for payments. (Don't even ask what money markets accounts are currently yielding). To top it off, that puny interest income is TAXABLE.

I did the math (figuring that one is probably in a high tax bracket if they are considering buying the MPV outright) and there is a $618 --give or take a few Hamiltions -- victory for the 1K cash option. That's right, $26K invested for the purpose of using the 0% financing option yields a pathetic $382 in post-tax interest.

Keep playing the lotto folks, because the good times are over...

Celio66: I bought from Great Neck Mazda. Tell Irv or Mark you want .9% over invoice. Plus the 1K cash. And negotiate the Pinnacle Warranty to $999. They'll bite.

If not, go to Jersey. Scott at Maxon Mazda on Rt 22 is offering $300 BELOW invoice plus the 1K cash, BUT you must take from dealer inventory, which I was unwilling to do. Not a great selection, but the BEST price I have seen.
  • smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    I've asked 2 dealers in the Charlotte, NC area about using the s plan on the MPV, and both said "sure , no problem". Has it just been discontinued on a regional basis?

I am a little concerned about what the neighbors will think if I buy an MPV. I already own a Miata and 626 (going to sell the Accord to get the MPV), so I'll be a little overloaded with Mazdas.
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    USA Today Money section has a good financing versus paying cash calculator (with associated charts and amortization tables) that pretty much bears out what doubleI9 says.

http://www.calcbuilder.com/cgi-bin/calcs/AUT4.cgi/usatoday

To make the financing pay - assuming a combined 32% income tax - would require a 5.6% return before taxes. (This assumes $26,000 financed. For lower amounts you'd need a higher return)

There is one case, though where you could come out way ahead by using 0% financing. If you finance the purchase at 0%, and put the initial savings toward other high interest loans, for example credit cards at 14-16%, this is the equivalent of a 14%-16% return on your money, tax free. Then use the money you would have spent on these credit card payments to make the car payment.

Of course most people with $26,000 in outstanding credit card bills don't have $26,000 cash to pay for a car, but you don't have to to get the benefit. If financing the car at 0% allows you to pay down some of your credit card debt immediately and pay down the rest faster you could still come out ahead. Instead of getting a thousand dollar discount, putting down a down payment, and financing the balance of the MPV purchase at a higher percentage than 0% (around 5-6%), you put the down payment towards the high rate loans, and finance (a larger loan amount) at 0% through Mazda. Though the total car payment may be higher, even at 0%, the savings on the pay down of the other high rate borrowings will more than make up for it, and the net savings can be put towards retiring even more of the high rate debt. If you have enough debt at a high enough rate, you can come out way ahead. Efectively, you are using the 0% financing to substitute a cheap loan for an expensive one.

You know there are higher yielding Money Market accounts than CDs. I have an account that yields 4%: www.thenetbanker.com
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    While it still pays to substitute low interest rate debt for high rate, I think I was making the wrong comparison.

While financing at 0% can help you save money by reducing other loans, so can financing at 5.5% (for example). It just won't help as much. The question is whether the difference makes up for the $1000 rebate. The real difference between the two alternatives, is the difference between 0% financing and commercial rate, which will be closer to break even vs. $1000, rather than coming out way ahead. It's not the difference between 0% and credit card rates.

Sorry.
    Yep. 1K cash back better. By $369 better in my case. Thanks for being so astute folks. Still wasn't offered the 1K in MI. But won't complain, love the vehicle.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    Smars, when you work with the dealers, make sure they don't charge you doc fee. I contacted the state Attorney General's office and they told me that if the s-plan doesn't allow doc fees, then they cannot be charged. Both Harrelson and Sonny Hancock wanted to charge doc fees. Ended up at Montgomery Mazda - Chris Paine was my salesperson.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Well, as of 2:00 PM today, I will be the proud owner of a 2002 Coastal Blue MPV ES with 4-seasons, rear spoiler, fog lamps, etc. (No moonroof or 6-cd changer).

By the way, the $1000.00 is a dealer incentive. Most dealers do not know about it, the one I went to didn't. I got the van for $800 under invoice, so the dealer pocketed $200. Not bad. Remember, the dealer does not have to give you any of his incentive, but if you know about it, it gives you great bargaining power. You should have seen the look on the sales manager's face when I knew about the incentive before him...either that, or he really did not want me to bring it up.

Thanks to this group for the great tip...oh by the way, I was originally going to buy in a few months, but the $1000.00 caved my wife's objections. The dealer said I probably have one of 2 or 3 Coastal Blue ES with a Rear Spoiler. See ya...can't wait to be behind the wheel.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And don't forget to check the tire pressure when you pick it up this afternoon ;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Hey, that's a nice way to end a week, huh?! Hmmm ... Coastal Blue and a rear spoiler ... schweeeet! Enjoy!

SC
    No state or government agency has any ability to dictate who does or doesnt get charged a doc fee with the S-plan.

Selling prices are not regulated by government agencies....
    Thanks Linda. I am planning to go to Montgomery this afternoon. I'll ask for Chris Paine.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Yet another tip I have picked up over the last few months on this group. Thanks for the reminder though.

Well, now that I am going to be an owner, I will keep checking the group out for a totally different reason.

Although,LOL, knock on wood, hopefully I never have to post on the problems area.

Thanks for the congrats...hopefully Java is not drinking green coffee today...of course, he wants another dark green van, not a coastal blue. So maybe he won't be too jealous ;-)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    WTG, and welcome to ownership, lucky! Prolly won't end up w/ a green van when I convince the wife she *has* to have a 2002... I'm wanting GFX. Black... black sounds nice!

Many happy and safe miles, oh and keep on posting your experiences!

/java, who is drinking coffee (hair of the dog...) or he'll have a caffiene headache now. :)
  • goldsu1goldsu1 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a call from the local dealer that the car I was interested in came in this morning. It is a white LX with 4 seasons, security pkg, rear air, roof rack, and bumper step. The price he quoted me for the car was 23,381.00 plus tax and tags, delivered. I asked him about the $1000 incentive. He said he hadn't heard of it, but it is paid to the dealer and it is up to the owner how it is used. He wasn't mean about it, just a little surprised. How should I pursue this? How much should I reasonably bargain for of the incentive. The $23,381.00 is not negotiable at this dealer, it is a supposedly $100 over invoice.
    goldsu: demand the 1K -- or AT LEAST $800 of it -- or WALK AWAY from the deal. Know that there are plenty of dealers in a 50-100 mile radius of you who will give you near invoice PLUS the incentive. If you need a comprehensive list that gives you all Mazda dealers within 100 miles got to: www.driversseat.com. This is the NADA site and it is GREAT. Gives you all dealers and phone/fax/e-mail info in two clicks.

Make some calls/faxes/e-mails to near dealers, tell them the price you have been offered by the local and tell them you want the incentive. Let these dealers know that you are CLOSE to buying from the first dealer so that they need to "step to the plate" if they're interested in selling you a car. Get him/her to fax/e-mail the price to you (which he should be willing to do). You can even leave a credit card deposit at the dealer to get a dealer written quote as long as they write and SIGN that the deposit is NON-BINDING on the quote sheet.

This should catch the attention of the dealer who is witholding YOUR incentive. If not, simply go to the new dealer and buy.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Hope you enjoy your new ride! Maybe your Wife will let you drive it once in a while:) My Wife keeps my butt out of the driver's seat! She says " It's my van and it's a blast to drive". Hmm, it's time for the 15,000 mile service on our 01 LX. I guess I'll have to drive the van to work next week:)

Pjd58
  • goldsu1goldsu1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the advice, that is what we will do!
    I'm looking for an LX with 4 seasons, rear air, and no roof rack. I wanted the 4 seasons so that I could have the option of larger towing capacity. I didn't want the roof rack due to the noise issues I've read about. I figured I could always add a Thule or other after market rack if I needed one.

The dealer said he checked, and all the 4 season pkgs are going to the NE or other cold weather climates. Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone in the SE been able to get 4 seasons? He also told me I could add the trans and engine oil cooler after market to get the added towing capacity without creating any warranty issues. Sounds fishy to me, but I guess I'd be OK with this if I could get it in writing. Anybody have an idea what this might cost to add after market?

The last issue is the roof rack. He said he pulled a listing of everything (LX) in stock in the SE, because all the '02s he had seen had the rack. About 95% came with it. Its interesting that over half the vans in the sales literature don't have the rack.

At least the rear AC was no problem, dealer said that was in every one he has seen. Mazda sure seems to have interesting marketing practices, options you can't get, and others that are virtually standard. Guess its like the old model T, you could get that in any color you wanted, as long as the color you wanted was black.