Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I used to see that gas pump complaint on the Hyundai Sante Fe board often, but I don't think I've seen it here for the RAV.
    Not common, I don't think.
    Good luck sorting it out.

-ss4
  • ccco1ccco1 Member Posts: 9
    Nancy13,
    Take your Rav to a (good)Toyota dealer and have them look at it. There is a Technical Service Bulletin: # EG008-02 for the fuel tank vent hose. That could be the problem. Let us know what you find out.
  • nancy13nancy13 Member Posts: 9
    ccco1,
    Thanks for the info...I'll check into it.
  • ckwong2ckwong2 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Everyone,
      I've bought my first Toyota, a 2004 RAV4 FWD basic model for $20,000 + Tax. I like it a lot, but one minor problem on the driver side mirror. It would not move out enough for me to see the blind spot. does anyone have the same problem?
      Anyway, I am trying to find a bug defector, but all I could found was for 2003 model. Does the bug defector for 2003 fit 2004 model? Thanks.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    I have the 2004 accessories page and they have a hood protector. That may be the same as a bug deflector? So your dealer should be able to get one for the 2004. I had a situation with all weather mats. My dealer ordered them but they did not fit!. They changed the floor a bit on the 2004s. After talking to Toyota in CA, the dealer was able to get the correct mats for my 2004.

As far as your mirror, make sure the entire mirror is in the correct position. Remmember it folds both ways in case you hit something.

Do you have the dashboard rattle squeak? I bring it in next week to get it fixed.

Hope this helps
    Little $1.19 stick-on fisheye mirrors from an auto parts store did away with my driving blindspots. I stuck one to the upper outside corner of each side mirror. No more twisting to look out the side of the vehicle before changing lanes.
    I know the dealer would charge a lot more than aftermarket place. So, I was trying to order the bug defector online.
    I too have the dashborad rattle and squeak. It comes from the passenger side air vent and the entire dashboard under the wind shield. Will you let us know how the dealer fix the rattle and squeak for you? Thanks.
  • 01rav4owner01rav4owner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 rav4 D with 50k klms and live on vancouver island B.C. The roads I drive are sometimes mouantainous but in good condition.Some times freeway type.I am a conservative type driver and I check the gas milage every fill up.I bought this subcompact suv for the milage potential. But average milage I have gotten for hwy.is 9 klm/ltr X 2.85=25 mpg (canadian gal).Around town 6.5/7 klm/ltr or 18/20.This is terrable,it sucks.The book at the dealer says 35 mpg.I was wondering what other owners get in real life? All arround I am totally satisified with this cute suv.But I purchesed this for the fuel milage.I have a friend with 3ltr escape that gets 28mpg hwy.A Morano with 3.8 ltr that gets almost 28 as well.Maybe smaller is not always better.Maybe I have a problem?
    We have two RAV4s. A 2002 and a 2004. We do mostly local driving and we both get around 22 mpg, US, which is what the sticker claims. So we are in-line.

I would think that you should also get what Toyota claims, unless you are in stop and go traffic all the time, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't know what kind of problem would cause low mileage,perhaps you can ask your mechanic or the dealer next time you get an oil change.

I have a V6 VW that gets better mileage than my RAV4. Maybe because it's more aerodynamic?
    I've just finished the first tank of gas, not including the very first tank that was filled up by the dealer.
      I got around 23 MPG, which was 99% highway. However, the highway speed limit is 65 MPH, so, everything is going 75 MPH. I assume that would hurt the gas mileage a bit.
      However, I've been experiencing miss gear problems, even though it has an automatic transmission. Sometime when I try to speed up after making a turn, the transmission will miss the gear. Kind of like the RPM ramp up but the car is not accelerating. Does anyone of you experiencing the same problem?
      Does it has anything to do with the Vehicle Stability Control system?
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I am thinking about buying either a RAV4 or a CR-V by the end of the month. A friend told me that he received a $1000 coupon for a 2004 new Toyota before Thanksgiving. But the coupon expired on 12/1/2003. Any good deals for a 2004 RAV4 that you know of in NJ?
    Since the trans is electronic perhaps it needs some kind of adjustmnet. You should see the dealer. My trans is very very smooth between gears. When the stability control kicks in a light comes on on the dash - an icon of a car skidding, sort of...very evident in snow.

Deals. My dealer - Muller - has about eight of them - if they aren't moving maybe you can get a "good deal". I start with the average of carsdirect price and Edmunds TMV. Muller came close enough to that price.
    I am looking for a 2004 4WD automitic, with the GY option (Side Curtain Airbags).

It seems I have to get the "UP" (Upgrade "L" Package) , "AY" (16" x 7" Aluminum Wheels), permium sound options as well.

Anyone knows how to get the "GY" option without all those other options attached?
    It's tuff to get cars exactly the way you want them. Even the Toyota site says that cars are ordered by the dealerships in packages that they think people want. I gave up trying. See if you can order a car. I know you can order a VW and get exactly what you want...eventually. I waited about two months for my 2000 Jetta.
  • larivatlarivat Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a web page which has published a road test of the new 2004 Rav4 2.4lt, I am looking at buying one but want to read an independent review first, any ideas?
    Don't think I found a road test on a 2004. I have a 2004, have put 805 miles on it. I think it's great. Consumer Reports recommends it. Has good enough power for me. Rear seats can be removed so you have lots of space. We also have a 2002 with the 2.0 L engine. The '04 has significantly (at least noticeable) more power IMVHO. Only thing that bothers me is a dash rattle that the dealer can't fix...yet.
    Dealer had the car for two days. They had trouble finding what caused the rattle. Apparently not the same situation as the older RAV4s. So, I still have a rattle. Maybe it's a bit less noticable. Hopefully someday they will figure it out and maybe come out with a TSB.
    After a test drive, I found that the 2004 RAV4 is a very solid car, with a smooth and quiet drive. The car felt more refined than the 2004 CR-V, which has more interior room. RAV4 is a nice car for smaller-sized people. :)

A loaded RAV4 (with side curtain air bags, roof rack, real spoiler, alloy wheels, keyless entry, security) is about $25K MSRP. I think the car can be had for close to invoice at my local dealers at this time of year.
    The "Carpet floor mats/cargo mat" (CF $184) and the "Cargo net" (CN $49) are also options.
    (I don't know why Toyota not made these two items part of the standard package, for a car that costs $20K+.)

They are not listed on the Edmunds pricing system page. Dealers are likely to add these two options to a new RAV4.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    Is anyone finding side air bags and side air curtains on any of the RAV-4s on dealer's lots?
    I had been looking at 4-Runners, but the only ones Toyota sees fit to equip with side air bags/curtains are the extremely expensive Limited models. I have not found a single 2004 RAV-4 in my area (New Orleans) equipped with this option and am wondering what it is like in other areas. Thanks for your input.
    In central NJ, all the RAV4s with the side curtain air bags that I have seen are all with the "L" upgrade.

If you plan to get the side curtain air bags, be prepare to pay for a RAV4 with other options that will bring the total cost to $24K, $25K or more MSRP. Insit paying for invoice (or less) if you are serious of buying one. Dealers have plenty of them on their lots.
    Has Toyota fixed the infamous "dashboard-windshield rattle when go over a bump" issue for the 2004 RAV4?
    We have a 2002 and a 2004. The 2002 is fairly tight. So when we bought the 2004 I expected same. However the 2004 had a very bad dash rattle/squeak. Very disappointed. The dealer had it two days, worked hard at it and now it's better, not completely gone. Other than that I like the car, it's great. But rattles drive me nuts.

Next time I buy a vehicle I'm gonna test drive it over the bumpiest road I can find.
    You may have done this, and I forgot.
    But could you compare the performance of the 2.0L v. the 2.4L engines, since you have both in your RAVs?

I've got the 2.0L in my '01 RAV, and my gf has the 2.4 in her '02 Solara, and I'm impressed with the way it moves that coupe.

Thanks.
    Is there a service bulletin for the 2004 dash rattle?
    So far, no TSBs for the 2004 dash rattle. My dealer worked on mine and it's better, but not gone.

My 2004 with the 2.4 is a big improvement over the 2002. IMVHO. Also much nicer in other areas - inside color, ABS, traction control, cheaper, tire pressure warning, radio controls on the steering wheel.
    wsommariva:

Thanks for the info.

I agree with you that 2004 RAV4 has every desirable features that I am looking for: ABS, side curtain air bags, stability+traction control, full-time 4WD, radio controls on the steering wheel, and not-so-bad mpg.

I test-drove the CR-V and RAV4 on the same day on the same route (two dealers are neighbors). The 2004 RAV4 feel quiter, smoother, and more luxurious inside feeling.

A RAV4 L with side air bags and other pre-installed options that I am interested in buying costs about 25K+ MSRP. I hope I can get it closer to invoice (~23K).

I just don't understand why Toyota did not fix this annoying bug for the 2004 RAV4?!
    Anyone bought a 2004 RAV4 recently?

How much did you pay?

Is invoice + $100 doable?

Thanks!
  • bett1ebett1e Member Posts: 16
    I can't get the dealer to go lower than $21,900 out the door for a Rav4 with sports package and sunroof and ABS. The sticker states $23K. I can't find invoice prices on everything listed on the sticker but basically I walked away and they are refusing to come down. Is it worth dickering about and how much would be the appropriate price out the door?

bett1e@yahoo.com
    Are you dealing with a 2004 RAV4?

For the 2004 RAV4, the ABS is a standard feature.

Out-of-the-door price includes tax and other fees that you have to pay to register and title the car.

If you can write down the option codes on the window sticker, I can calculate the invoice price for you. For example,

SP Sport Package invoice $500/$625 MSRP
    SR Power Sunroof invoice $720/$900 MSRP
    I will go to to the dealership before church tomorrow and post what the options are. The salesman didn't know ABS was included and then made it seem like a big deal. I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
    I find Edmunds.com TMV and carsdirect.com pricing helpful when I buy cars. I like to pay a few hundred over dealer cost. Of course for hot cars you pay more. I go to the dealer's lot on Sunday and try to find the car I want. The last two times I found an Echo and a Rav4 that we wanted at a dealer close enough to home. I noted the options and all sticker costs. Went home and priced them out using above two web sites. Went back on Monday. Told the salesperson what car I wanted, he gave me his lowest price, I told him what I wanted to pay, and about 60 seconds later we agreed on a price. I said I wanted to pay the average of Edmunds TMV and carsdirect. He came within $150. No nonsence deal from a no nonsence dealer.
    I have found that the best way to shop a RAV4 is to visit one or two (or more if time permits) dealers.

Write down all the options on the window sticker of the car you like.

Write down both MSRP and invoice prices for each option, and compute the total price of the car, MSRP and invoice. This will give you an idea of how close the paid price is close to the invoice price.

I have found that you can buy a 2004 RAV4 for close to invoice at this time of year (lower than the TMV price) in central NJ area; dealers average around 10 in stock.
    I bought my RAV4 on the day after Thanksgiving. It's a basic model, titainum color, with roof rack, cargo cover, floor mats, and mud guard. Come with dash board rattle for free. I paid $20,000 + tax and title fee. It may be a couple hundred dollar higher than average. It's below MSRP anyway. The first 2 tank of gas was around 23 MPG.
    We bought a 2002 RAV4 (wife) a year ago and did not get the free dash rattle. So I was happy when I bought my 2004 and did get the free dash rattle. Thought they would have ended that free promotion already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    all the options. I couldn't find the invoice amount on a couple of them. I have contacted another dealer to see if he can get me a lower price. The Blue Spectra sport seems like it may be a top seller but I don't want to get taken by a dealer misrepresenting the price paid if they didn't actually pay that price.
    There are two DIOs that I know of that are not listed on this site:

CF Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat $112/$184 MSRP
    GN Cargo Net $34/$49
    Edmunds does not list all options on the TMV page. carsdirect.com lists most or all of them.

Best thing to do using Edmunds/carsdirect.com,IMVHO, is to compute MSRP and dealer invoice on the exact car you want.
    Auto trans 973
    Roof rack 176
    5 piece carpet set 112
    Mudguards 48 cargo net 34
    So far I've gone to 38. How high can I go without breaking the speakers?
    I think I have most of the dealer costs now. There is one option that I don't want and that is ToyotoGuard which is listed at $699.00 but I may have to stuck it up and just deal with it.
    Is that the extended warranty?

I have not seen this one listed on the window stickers here.

If you don't want it, just tell them to delete it; you can always buy one from the dealers who can accommodate you.
    Everything is negotiable. If that's an extended warranty, just say you don't want it period. Same with window etching. On my last three cars they had window etching pre-printed on the sales order. I just said no and they were fine with that - even though one car had the etching already. If Toyotaguard is paint sealer and undercoasting, etc, say you won't pay for it as you don't need it.

If they persist that you must buy it, go to another dealer. No, run to another dealer. In the last few years I've bought or helped people buy many cars. Some dealers are great, some are terrible. When you find a good one, remember them.
    and rental car program; it may be okay or not. All Alabama Toyota dealers add that. I will do the invoice without that and see if I can get them to come down. If not, I'll just go somewhere else. Thanks.
    A car buying site lists the cargo net as a standard feature. Is that right?

How about carpet floor mats? Does the "L" upgrade include the carpet floor mats?

Insiders, please help.
    I'm not sure about your state. In Chicago, both the cargo net and carpet floor mats are not standard feature. My RAV4 come with the following options:
      Roof rack, remote entry, day time driving light, floor mats, cargo cover, and mud guard.
      I bought the bug defector and visors from pepboy for $100.
    Thanks for sharing the info.

I think a few car pricing sites that I visited do not have the most up-to-date info about the 2004 RAV4 options.

One site listed the cargo net as a standard feature; another site includes the carpet floor mats in the "L" package.
  • wzeiserwzeiser Member Posts: 35
    AWD RAV 4 "L" or Subaru Forester XS. Anyone else come down to that choice? Any advice?
  • alijulalijul Member Posts: 5
    I've just paid $20,500 for 4WD RAV4 including: 50 state Emissions, Roof Rack, Front & Rear Mudgurds, Rear Privacy Glass, Carpet Floor Mats. Did I overpay?
    According to this site, an auto 4WD Titanium Metallic one with your options but without the carpet floor mats (there is no carpet floor mats option on this site) has a TMV of $20,596 in my area.

The 2004 RAV4 is a well built car from Japan.

Enjoy the car!