Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I have no experience with the XS, only comparing the two based on the data availabe on this site.

The 2004 RAV4 L has stability+traction control, autio control on steering wheel, privacy glass, and a bit better mpg.

The XS has automatic climate control, heated seats, standard side air bags, 6-CD stereo, and a bit more power.

I recommend a test drive of each. :)
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    When one buy a new Toyota (e.g., a RAV4), does the person get a "Toyota Care" package in the mail that includes 3 free oil changes, one-year road side assitance, etc.?
  • ckwong2ckwong2 Member Posts: 8
    When I bought my RAV4 from Planet Toyota in Chicago, I asked for free oil change but the account manager said "We don't have anything like that". So, I think it really depends on the dealer.
  • cobblestonecobblestone Member Posts: 7
    Happy New Year from the south! Just celebrated the new year by purchasing a AWD RAV4, with the 5 speed stick. Though many would choose the automatic, I chose the stick because we have a weekend home in the NC mountains, and the road up is very winding, and rough. I like the extra control the stick gives you. And by the way, do you other RAV4 owners know that with the 5 speed, the front and rear wheels go 50/50, whereas with the auto in the 4wd the traction ratio is 70/30.
    Read that in one of many reviews, which I thought gave an extra plus to the stick, not to mention it is about $1000 less.

Have only reviewed about 10pages or so of this post, but I would say the larger 4 cyl. is great, and that I do not have any dash rattle. As to this raging debate about the tire carrier and the rear end crash thing, I must agree with several of you who have observed: "just dont' back into anything at 5 mph....." and as for someone bumping you, do as I did and get the trailer hitch package, and keep the bar and ball attached, which gives at least some extension for others to make contact with. Since I dont tow anything, I may consider switching out for the bar fender pictured awhile back. I will post milage after the 1000 mile breakin...have only 500 so far. Looking forward to sharing driving experiences.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Good luck with your new RAV4 ride.

Like Will Rogers, I only know what I read, and I've read several times that the RAV's front/rear drive split is 50/50 full-time, and no distinction MT or AT.

I've also read that one other vehicle (Forester) does vary with MT or AT.
  • rav4driverrav4driver Member Posts: 38
    My 2004 RAV4 4WD with less than 1000 miles has the "dash/whindshield rattle" when the car goes over a pothole or a no-so-small bump.

The dealer fixed the problem to some extend, but not completely fixed. It's a issue not so obvious, so a couple of times the dealer just said "no rattle found, your car is perfect."

If your 2004 RAV4 has the same issue, please let your dealer know. I hope Toyota will issue a TSB because of your complains.

Other than this issue, the new 2004 RAV4 is a very nice car.
  • alfie58alfie58 Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone tell me how much each one cost before taxes? And which one is better in durability? I appreciate any and all responses!

BTW, how much is APR rates if my credit is 758? My uncle said about 4% but I just want to make sure before I negotiate with my dealer.

I appreciate your help!
    Jen
    The sports package is a $625 MSRP upgrade vs. the L, which is a $1,030 MSRP upgrade.

The S package includes the hood scoop, "S" badge, sport fabric, overfenders, heated color keyed exterior mirrors, color keyed door handles and tubular roof rack with stainless steel finish.

The L package includes leather steering wheel and shift knob, heated color keyed exterior mirrors, front fog lamps, rear privacy glass, tonneau cover, "L" badge, color keyed door handles, bumpers and molding and color keyed full spare tire cover.

Fo me, I don't like the hood scoop (the hood scoop does not increase the HP).
    I suppose in the best or worst of times second guessing Will Rogers would be un-American. Like so many of our neighbors on this post, I checked and double-checked the Forester too.
    So, I may have confused the two, and sorry. Nevertheless, I am still enjoying the stick, and thank goodness, no rattle monster yet.......
    As for hood scoops, lets leave them on the Forester turbo where they belong, along with the need for premium gas. Happy driving.
    Thanks for help rav4driver!

I just came back from the dealer and he said he'll sell it to me for $21,500. Destination fee included, I just have to add taxes.

Do you think $21,500 is a good price to pay?

BTW, would you know how much the % APR would be? I have excellent credit. Just want to ask her first so I don't get ripped off.

Jen
    It depends on what kind of options on that car.

A 2004 RAV4 S 4WD without any otions has an invoice price of $20,010 ($18,970 (base) + $500 (S package) + $540 (dest.)).

The $21,500 looks high.

Ask the dealer to write down the code for each option on the car (the list of options is on the window sticker).

When I was shopping for a RAV4, the dealer tried to sell me a siver RAV4 S, which I believe I could buy it below invoice then.
    Thanks for the quick response!

I checked the website and it says that people in my area are buying it for around $21,500 under the TMV(true market value) column. Could it be wrong? Is it accurate?

Jen
    on this site contains the following "Typically Equipped" options:

AW 16" x 7" Aluminum Wheels
    PN Anti-Theft System w/Engine Immobilizer
    KE Keyless Entry

Are these options on the car you want to buy?

That's why I said to copy the code of each option on the window sticker, and then we can figure out the "invoice price" for *the car* you want to buy.

BTW, "AW, PN, KE" are the option codes I am talking about.

Don't rush to buy the car; do more research to fine out the details.
    I've a 2004 RAV4 basic model and I would like to install the EC Rearview Mirror on it. The Option selection indicated that it is only available on the L or S model. Can anyone check and see if there is any wire going into the mirror on the L or S model? On the basic model, it seems like there is some conductive material on the windshield to the rearview mirror.
    Well, I think I can corroborate the correlation between cold weather and the monster in the dashboard...Yesterday was the coldest morning of the season.....24 degrees...those of you up north try to keep a straight face....anyway, first pothole I hit downtown....clunk rattle rattle went the dash near the lower windshield area.

BUT, as the day warmed up, it went its way as I went mine...this morning it is only 44, and as you may expect...no rattle. obviously, something is contracting and expanding, and it would seem the rather detailed fix-it link previously posted may indeed do the trick...I will try it if we have a spell of extended cold weather, which is not likely here on the coast.

Regards to all, and happy trails..(Roy Rogers, not Will...)
    We have a cold weather here lately (~20F). My 2004's dash rattle is louder than ever. It's so audible that it does not even need a pothole or a sharp bump to induce it.

I have an appointment with the dealer. Let's see if the dealer can tame this "rattle monster."

A 2004 "dash rattle" TSB will be nice to have. :)
  • howardf612howardf612 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the process of purchasing a compact SUV and have it narrowed down to three vehicles with the 2004 Toyota Rav among them. One thing that continues to gnaw at me is the 4 cylinder engine. I test drove it and it responded fine but I would like other's input on whether you feel the engine has enough pep for daily driving. My commute around town is normally unremarkable. Thanks.
    I had a 99 V6 Issuzu Rodeo 4WD and now own a 04 FWD RAV4. Compare the 2 there is a huge difference driving on the highway, but driving around town, I like the RAV4 a lot more.
    V4 engine doesn't mean it's slower. However, in pick up speed, the RAV4 is quicker that my Rodeo. But it has a real high RMP and the VVTi makes the power very non-linear. Before you put your money on the RAV4, test drive the Saturn VUE. It has a Honda V6 engine. The only reason that I didn't go with the VUE was the rear drum brake and more expensive.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    My 2004 has enough power for me. We also have a 2002. One thing that helps with the 2002 is turning off overdrive. Especially when driving at around 40 mph. Keeps the trans in third gear. Although we use it sparingly, it helps alot when we do. I rarely turn off the O/D on the 2004.
    My 2004 RAV4's dash rattle was gone when I was driving home this afternoon. (The rattle had been very noticable lately.) The outside temperature this afternood was about 35F, warmer than the past few days. In addtition, we had a light rain this afternoon; the rain stopped when I was about half-way home.

I'll see if the rattle comes back on Thursday when the temperature here is supposed to be between 0F and 20F.

About the power of 2004 RAV4, it's more than adequate for my daily commute. The engine is very responsive and quiet.
  • howardf612howardf612 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the prompt responses. I did test drive the Vue but I currently own a Saturn sedan. It's been a decent car but I'm definitely looking for a different company. The Ford Escape and Hyundai Santa Fe are also finalists.
    My dash rattle came back this morning while I was driving to work. The outside temperature was about 10F.

It seems the rattle occurs when the weather is cold and dry. The colder the temperature, the louder the rattle.

The rattle seems to disappear when *either* the windshield area is wet (caused by rain) or the temperature is more than 35F.
    I guess I am spoiled, since today is 68, and tonight will be around 45. I have not heard from the dash monster since it was in the lower 20's. Rav driver's experiences seem to reinforce the correlation between low (real low) temps and the rattle. Have any of you other folks experienced the rattle in warm or hot temps?

As for the contribution citing the Hyundai and the Ford product as possible choices, may I just suggest you consider resale value...to many THE most important factor in choosing a new car. I dare say Toyota products will far exceed Ford in this category, not to mention crach tests results.
    Regards to all.
  • m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    I've owned 6 Toyota's to date and most are rattle free...Rattles may be more prevalent in the winter when temperatures are cold since metal will contract and could lead to more play in the fit between parts...however it would seem that when the cabin temperature is heated then the rattle would disappear...so temperature may not be a player in all cases.

Mike
    Mike,

The RAV4 dash rattle is a well-known bug. There are TSBs related to this bug on the previous models. I am surprised that the 2004 RAV4 still has this problem.

The rattle seems to be under the hood beneath the windshield area, not inside the cabin.

Some RAV4 owners have joked it's a "feature" of the RAV4; buying a pair of ear plugs will fix the problem. :-(
    Seems like one should be able to locate the rattle especially if its do to cabling/piping sticking though the firewall area...

It's too bad Toyota hasn't corrected by NOW...that not typical Toyota especially for machines that are built in JAPAN.

Mike
    What typical problems arrise with the RAV over say a 8-10 year period.

I've owned 6 Toyotas (Camrys, Tercels, Echo & Highlander) and have NOT had any major engine or transmission problems...most problems have been:

1. replaced alternator (80,000 miles)
    2. replaced timing belt and hoses
    3. replaced transmission fluids, cooling fluids, brake fluids
    4. replaced spark plugs, battery
    5. replaced heater/cooling fan motor
    6. replaced door wiring bundle (window 80,000 miles)
    7. Rubber CV boots...typical drying and cracking
    8. Brakes and Mufflers
    9. Head lights and running lights
    10. Turn signal indicator switch (80,000 miles)

What type of problems can be expected for the RAV over time (8-10years).

Mike
    Check out the Consumer Report in your local library. I believe the RAV4 has good long term reliability rating.

The 2004 RAV4 is a very nice car. If you plan to buy one, make sure you drive the car over a few big bumps during the test-drive to make sure there is no strange noise coming from the base of the windshield.

BTW, there is a TSB similar to the "dash rattle" of the RAV4 for the new 2004 Lexus RX330.

TSB's for the 2004 Lexus RX330 (as of 1/14/04)
    NV00603(20031024)
    160000 STRUCTURE
    **RATTLE NOISES COMING FROM THE CENTER OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AT THE BASE OF THE WINDSHIELD.
    Thanks rav4ddriver for the info..I still can't believe Toyota and Lexus allow this rattle to continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...must be a design flaw in the tolerances of the metal or something rubbing near ...should be an easy fix if one could find out what it is??????????????????

I like the RAV and leaning toward a purchase of this machine.

Mike
  • peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone use the RAV-4 for families with 2 kids? I have tried the CR-V and know it has a larger interior, but RAV 4 offers trac control, stability control, side curtain airbags (I think), fog lights and leather seats, for not much more than CR-V (assuming you can get the TMV price). Haven't driven the Rav yet, just because it looks small, but the avail options are compelling. The car would be mostly used for my stop and go freeway commute (CA) but would also have to carry kids and stuff to activities and school. Is it comfortable for long drives?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I find my '01 RAV comfortable on long drives. And I still really like and enjoy the vehicle after 3 years and 49k miles.

But if I had 2 kids, I think space would be one of my highest priorities. Gotta give that one to the CR-V. I don't see how you could go wrong with one of them.

Good luck.

-ss4
    I put two child seats on the back (one booster seat). My kids are less than 6 years old. The space is tight after you put two car seats there. You can squeeze a small-sized adult in the back by moving a car seat to the middle position, but this arrangement is not for long trip.

The area behind the back seats has plenty space for a stroller and other baby stuff.

A trip to the mall with 2 adults and 2 young kids in the car is fine for us. Highway driving is very smooth and quiet.

If you have older kids, then the Highlander is probably a better choice.

I paid around $22.7K (excluding tax+title) for a RAV4 L 4WD with side curtain bags and other options(MSRP $25.2K), but no leather seats and sun roof.

I can buy a base model, 2.4L Highlander for the same price. But I like to drive a smaller car for my daily commute (better handling, mpg and fun to drive), and to get all the safety features and nice options within our budget.

My next car (when the kids become bigger/older) is likley to be the hybrid Highlander.
    Yes, the CR-V has more cargo space and more roomy inside.

The reasons that I bought a RAV4 instead of the CR-V are:

RAV4 has better safety features: 4-wheel ABS with EBD, stability+traction control, side curtain bags, tire pressure monitoring, audio control on the steering wheel, and full-time 4WD.

The RAV4 is aslo smoother and quieter when I test drove both. (I did not know about the dash rattle issue when I bought the RAV4.)

The main selling points for me are the safety features.
    If your short stature then the RAV4 appears to give a better seating height arrangement...my wife is 5 foot 2 inches and she felt like the CR-V didn't fit well (had the seat full up)...seems like the CR-V is deigned for larger folks.
    I agree with m4eth about the seating height concern. For me, the automatic shifter on the RAV4 is also easier to work with (because my other car has similar shifter).

Make sure to test drive the cars you are interested in buying before signing the contract. I was planning to buy the CR-V, but realized that the 2004 RAV4 has standard features that you only can get in the Acura line. :)

I like Honda's simple LX/EX option arrangement. Toyota has a complicated way of putting options on their cars. For example, to get the side curtain bags, I need to get the L upgrade, which require the purchase of the expensive alloy wheels and other options that I don't need...
    M4eth, I hadn't thought about the height issue, I'm 5'1" (definitely vertically challenged). Drove the Cr-V and it seemed ok, but will definitely make a note of seating position when I try the Rav-4. It is nice to see what you are about to run over!

Rav4driver, those are also the same reasons I am now looking at Rav 4. Was pretty much decided on CRv but coworker said have you looked at hte Toyota and when I started looking, all hte nice things like traction control and stability control really stuck out. But it is so much smaller, which prompted this post to see if it is a real problem or if it is workable. Hope to go test drive one tomorrow.
    My dash rattle was very minor this afternoon when I drove home (I can live/drive with that :-). The outside temperature was about 25F and no rain.

We did have snow yesterday, but not today.

I'll have to cancel my appointment with the dealer tomorrow, because the tech staff probably will not be able to reproduce the rattle...
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I just acquired a 2004 RAV4 to park beside my wife's '99 Solara SLE V6 coupe. We got the Solara in Sept.99 and it still has only less than 50,000km on it. It has been one of the best cars we have owned - solid, quility-built, powerful enough, comfortable and dependable. We bought it out of its lease and plan to own it long term. I was driving a leased '02 Subaru Impreza 2.5TS wagon, and although I liked it, it was not the vehicle I wanted long term and I knew, once the lease was up in 2 more years, I would give it back; also I wouldn't have any equity there as I had structured it that way on purpose. I shopped the RAV4 against the Honda CR-V, the Jeep Liberty, the Subaru Forester XT and looked a bit at Mazda Tribute and several others. Wanted a smaller car-based SUV or wagon that would be reliable, have good resale, reasonably fun to drive and be able to carry a 120# dog in rear with rear seats up (not folded flat). Also, wanted to use regular gas and have reasonably inexpensive cost to operate. Eliminated the Liberty first (reliability issues, gas pig and poor resale, plus did not need true 4x4). Next out was the CR-V; a reasonably nice package but did not like the "real-time AWD" vs the Toyota and Subaru AWD systems. Also, I favor front leg/seat room over rear and the Honda gives great rear room at the expense of the front. Seldom will be carrying more than 1 or 2 people. The Forester XT almost got me - that turboed 2.5 engine is a stormer, but requires premium fuel and eats it up (probably my heavy foot). In Canada also, comparing MSRP on the RAV4 w "C" package (most everything but leather and moonroof), the XT was about $7500 Cdn more (even a RAV4 Limited with leather and moonroof was MSRP about $5000 cheaper than the XT). Truth is, I did not need as much vehicle as the XT offered and there was no sense paying for it in higher purchase price and higher operating cost. The RAV4 won me over because: 1. new 2.4L engine (would not have bought RAV before, not enough power); 2. love the styling (wife hated the staid looks of the Forester), 3. Toyota quality, reliability, and good resale values, 4. have a good relationship with local dealer from owning the Solara, 5. lower operating costs than many in this group, 6. it's no sports car, but is reasonably fun to drive, and 7. colors - got the Spectra Blue Mica w grey interior, added side step bars and black hood deflector. It looks great, although I'm running 4 winter steel wheels with 4 Continental Winter Contact snows for the next 2 months (the mags are so much nicer looking!!). Only got it last Friday so no real experiences yet. Will post updates in the future. Hope I don't inherit the dreaded dash rattle, but, hey, I'm an optimist. Sorry for the long post.
  • milkmaid1milkmaid1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, thank you, I too have been shopping, I've looked at some of the same vehicles you have and will probably purchase the RAV4, Honda jerked me around, "sure, we'll sell you a car, OOPS, sorry we don't have the color or transmission you want. It'll be a 2 to 3 month wait" Subaru liked playing the normal dealer games. I needed the car last week, so now I will go get the Toyota.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The "dash" rattle is really the cowl in front of the windshield, under the wipers. I am amazed that some still have the problem, because my dealer fixed it two years ago and I have had no rattles since, even in the extreme cold.
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I just spoke with a salesman who told me that the RAV4 (AWD) version is not available with both the 5-speed MT and a leather interior. This dealership (unfortunately the only one within 50 miles of me) has a spotty local reputation, known for guiding customers to the easiest models for them to get and sell. So, I went to the Toyota website to build my own and discovered that I can only build from an automatic transmission model. Very annoying!

Ideally I want a RAV4 AWD MT with moonroof and leather seats and premium sound. Is this even possible?

Second, I am comparing the RAV4 MT (which I have not yet driven) with the Forester XS MT (which I have driven). I did not like the Forester's lack of assertivenes at 40-55 on open, back roads with curves and rolling hills (this is 70% of my driving). Would the RAV AWD MT be peppier in this range?

Zman
    mcdawgg stated "The "dash" rattle is really the cowl in front of the windshield, under the wipers. I am amazed that some still have the problem, because my dealer fixed it two years ago and I have had no rattles since, even in the extreme cold."

Mcdawgg...could you ask your dealer how he fixed...I would assume he put some type of rubber spacer in the plastic cowl that may vibrate agaisnt the metal hood region???
    Mike
  • znalgznalg Member Posts: 9
    "I just spoke with a salesman who told me that the RAV4 (AWD) version is not available with both the 5-speed MT and a leather interior. This dealership (unfortunately the only one within 50 miles of me) has a spotty local reputation, known for guiding customers to the easiest models for them to get and sell. So, I went to the Toyota website to build my own and discovered that I can only build from an automatic transmission model. Very annoying!

Ideally I want a RAV4 AWD MT with moonroof and leather seats and premium sound. Is this even possible?

Second, I am comparing the RAV4 MT (which I have not yet driven) with the Forester XS MT (which I have driven). I did not like the Forester's lack of assertivenes at 40-55 on open, back roads with curves and rolling hills (this is 70% of my driving). Would the RAV AWD MT be peppier in this range?"

I was told the same thing by a dealer today: No MT and leather without ordering from Japan. I'll bite it and get the car w/o leather. I also checked out all the vehicles listed by rbleland. With regard to the Forester, I looked at the XT. However, I found 2 problems: I was uncomfortable in the seat and, much more significantly, there is currently a NHTSA investigation of Subaru for ABS failures (specifically the '02 WRX). In my own investigation on forums, people are reporting the defect on most models including Foresters. The defect can reportedly cause near total brake failures extremely intermittently and unpredictably; perhaps once every few thousand miles. Having experienced the same type of problem on my '97 Toyota 4Runner, I don't want to risk it again. So, that brought me to the Rav4. The '04 improvements made it worth a look IMO so, I gave it a test drive and was really impressed. It's fun, safer (with all the airbags) and quicker. I actually really liked it and was surprised. I plan to place an order this week! Good luck.
  • rickstratrickstrat Member Posts: 25
    I just picked up a manual transmission mica blue Rav4 with AWD, airbags, L package, and a bunch of other things. I'm not picky about color and if you get one off the dealer's lot, they're easier to bargain with. I'm having the moon roof installed today by an aftermarket company. It cost a little more than the factory one, but it comes with a life time guarantee and closes automajically when the ignition is turned off. You can also have the leather interior done after market, but here in Pittsburgh, it's either too cold or too hot for leather so not a big deal for me. I also feel kind of funny loading up from Home Depot into a leather interior!
  • ittybittyittybitty Member Posts: 4
    Congratulations on your purchase. I'm also looking to buy an SUV and I'm having a hard time deciding between the RAV and CRV. In my case we need to have good cargo space and decent rear seat room for trips to the cottage 2 adults a teenager and our gear/groceries. It's a tough decision. I had a long test drive in the CRV and a short drive in the RAV. The space in the CRV is tough to beat....I did'nt get a chance to get the RAV up to highway speeds etc... What are you folks seeing with respect to RPM's at 60 mph? What about NVH? Is the engine that big a diff. this year? How would you compare it to the CRV?
     I really would have liked to get the traction Control, and VSC the U.S. folks are getting. I wonder if this will be brought in next year in Canada and hurt the depreciation of the 03 model?
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Well, both are excellant choices and the differences are not that great. I agree that if rear seat space and cargo room are #1 with you, the CR-V is probably better for your needs. This is not that important to me. The RAV front room is as good, if not better than the CR-V, but the rear is better for sure in the Honda.
    I do believe that the '04 RAV 2.4L engine is a big step up from the previous '03 and earlier RAV engines, which were 2L and tended to be "buzzy" at speed. My '04 RAV is not fully broken in yet, but it seems that 60mph is about 2300-2400rpms. For a small car-based SUV (or wagon if you prefer), I find the '04 RAV is very quiet (better than the previous ones). I have driven a friend's '03 CR-V and don't think it is appreciably different in NVH from the new RAV. I feel that the new RAV feels lighter to drive and is more "sporty". The RAV is about 200lbs lighter than the CR-V. You might check a few threads on CR-V engine fires for '03 CR-Vs but maybe just internet nonsense. Apparently, about 7 CR-V engines have caught fire after oil servicing in the U.S. in past few months. As to the VSC, traction control (and rear disc brakes I might add), I doubt it would hurt existing '04 RAVs much as the future model (if it got these things) would have to be priced higher (which is why I'm told the '04 RAV doesn't have rear discs in Canada). The '03 RAVs (you said '03 above) have to deal with being the last year of the 2.0L engine and if that will hurt their future value (I have no idea!!)
    Both '04 RAV and CR-V are very good choices - you have to decide what things are most important to you and then pick.
    My 2004 RAV4's "dash rattle" came back. Unfortunately, my dealer could not reproduce it (it's a long story). Instead of wasting my time at dealer's service waiting room, I plan to fix it myself, if it is not too complicated.

If you know of ways to locate the problem area and perform the fixes, please share the info with me. Thanks for the help.

(Since the dealer had performed the rattle fix once, I felt that there is probably no financial incentive for them to fix it again under warranty.)
    Thanks to everyone who responded on the roominess/suitability of a RAV-4 for a family. I have another question. What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting, especially anyone in California (we have reformulated gas)? I know what the tag says it will get, but on my current Windstar, I don't even get the city mileage with all highway driving. So I would like to know what is realistic to expect.

Didn't get to test drive a Rav4 yet, my little one got sick. Maybe this weekend. Almost hope its dash rattles so I can ask the salesman about it and see what kind of response I get.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If your dealer fixed it once under warranty and the rattle came back, take it back! As to fixing it yourself, there is a great website for the Rav4 that has step by step instructions and pictures. I probably can't say the name, but just do a search for RAV4 and you'll find it.
    My cowl was fixed years ago after the second try. They used a new cowl and a "revised" TSB. They also called the Toyota Tech line. It's been silent ever since.
    Thanks the info. I have some diffculties asking the dealer to seriously look into this annoying (yet not safety related) issue. I felt that the dealer does not have the financial motivation to fix my problem (they view it as a business transaction not as a customer service).

Why do I say so? Because the way they tried to reproduce the problem.

Background: my car has the cowl rattle when the weather is cold and dry.

Imaging the car sitting in the garage over a cold night. The temperature was cold (10F ~ 25F) in the morning when I started my 25-mile commute to work across a country route that has potholes and bumps sparsely waiting ahead. A similar situation occurred when I started my commute back home, after the car sitting in the cold parking lot for several hours.

Now, consider how the dealer tested my car.
    1. Kept the car in their warm building for at least 30 minutes before working on it.

2. The route they test-drove the car had minor bumps (they did not even drove the car over railroad tracks nearby).

3. Turned the dash vent to the "defrost" position, so that the hot air could blow in the windshield area, even thought it was sunny.

4. Told me how the car drove smoothly over a newly paved road (sure, I knew that).

In the end, they wrote down that they could not reproduce the problem...

I was thinking should I *bribe* the tech staff to get him seriously looking at my car? Or should I pay someone to get this issue fixed? Or should I live with this issue for as long as I own this car?

Maybe I should try fixing it myself since I am the one who owns this car and drives it daily...