Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• whidbeywhidbey Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering what everyone thought about the cargo space in the back. I am looking to buy a new vehicle that will carry my two kids (toddler and a new baby) and a 85 & 65 lb labs. The dogs will need to travel in the cargo area, occasionally for hours at a time. We have only done the peek thru the windows and my husband considers it too small for our needs. I am trying to find the "biggest" small car I can. I have been driving a Ford Probe for the last seven years and really want to avoid the mini van route quite yet. They are just too big for me. The RAV4 seems to rate above all others but I'm worried about being too cramped. Thanks
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I would not put 2 labs in the cargo area for any length of time. I think one would be okay but 2 is pushing it. I you fold the seats down of course you would have plenty of room.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    It's true that ABS isn't very available on 2WDs at all but in Socal, it's on every single 4WD version. You may consider that route for the ABS.

Dianne
  • rcbrodskyrcbrodsky Member Posts: 7
    Here in S.E. Virginia the climate is relatively mild and we rarely see snow. My driving is mainly commuter style and my main need is to transport my road bike. I've been debating the 2wd vs AWD issue for the RAV 4. I wonder if the AWD version would make for a noticeably steadier vehicle during driving in inclement weather? Is the AWD equipment more cumbersome and expensive to maintain other than the slight decrease in gas mileage? In other words for 95% of my driving FWD will suffice but would I be losing an important safety feature by not getting AWD in a RAV 4? Any help or thoughts are appreciated!
  • jnj521jnj521 Member Posts: 3
    Just an FYI for all 2001 RAV4 Owners. I just got a major problem fixed with my RAV. My check engine light came on about a month ago and I went to my local dealer. They got two weird codes on the computer and reset the computer. 2 weeks later the light came back on. They called their engineers and they have been getting a slew of these calls. They sent a guy from California to my dealership in upstate NY and fixed the problem by doing the following. They replaced the Cat Converter, Fuel injectors, 2 coils, spark plugs and rebuilt the computer. I was insured that this won't happen again. Apparently this was all related to emisions which makes sense. I had no performance troubles, no loss of power, nothing. Toyota was very attentive to this problem. Kudos. They gave me a rough estimate for the repair. Approx 4-5K...no BS either. The Cat converter is $768 alone. So word to the wise, if this happens to you get your butt into the dealer for warranty service before warranty runs out. I know I cannot afford a 4-5K repair bill.
  • jnj521jnj521 Member Posts: 3
    I would remember that the RAV4 even in 4WD models is primarily front wheel drive. Very easy to control in snow and Ice . I have the 4WD model with no ABS. I had no trouble at all in the snow. However I would recommend the ABS if you get 2WD. The RAV is very proportional with weight distribution and very responsive steering and braking. Excellent drive train as well. Downshifts automatically(automatic). I have had mine for 6 months and love it, albeit a small glitch as stated above. Good Luck in your decision. By the way the cargo area of the RAV is very deceitful, I mean you would never think about putting anything large in there. I have transported a water heater in the box and a 36" TV in the box with no troubles.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Just bought RAV.Wow what a great vehicle. Aztec Gold with L package,step rails,security,Alum. wheels, etc. sticker about 24,600---got 1300.00 off sticker then traded my 2000 Honda CRV. This is so much more plush and better looking. CRV is great just too plain. Drove 2000 RAV before buying CRV and thought it was terrible--but now 2001 a baby QX4 to me. Almost bought QX4 but decided perm. gas and 15 mpg was not worth it to me for vehicle I did not like any better. They are different vehicles but not enough for me to spend the difference. Only two people traveling in this vehicle so space not a problem. Liked looks of Montero Sport so I have been all over the spectrum on types of vehicles but reviews of sport are too many people that either hate or love them. Seems like Toyota, Honda, Nissan SUV's get almost all positive responses. My Toyota and Honda and Nissan experience with prior vehicles has always been positive. If you are near St. Louts I can give you details. They have 3 or 4 more on lot. Are these things really that hard to find??? I bought mine after seeing it at lunch that same afternoon. Been shopping for a few months so ready to buy. Hardly ever see these---how long have they been out? Really was not even considering this vehicle until I saw this one at lunch and liked to looks so much I checked it out and bought it on the spot. Great, great, great vehicle.
  • merritt4merritt4 Member Posts: 2
    Re #85 age -- I'm 45 and I think it is perfect.
  • merritt4merritt4 Member Posts: 2
    Doing a bad thing -- asking three questions at a time. But, oh well.. :) Brakes: Mmy 2001 4wd rav 4 makes an awful sound when the brakes are pushed for a hard stop -- not necessarily a fast stop. Could be going 5 mpg, but push the pedal hard. Grinding/rubbing/sometimes moaning. Toyota said that was "normal" I don't think so -- anyone else have that. Roof Rattle -- interior. I have a sunroof. Toyota fixed a track and the rattle went away for a couple of months. Maybe they didn't fix the right thing? And Cargo Cover -- I need to cover the "valuables" I put in the back cargo area. I've heard Toyota's is mega bucks. Any alternatives. Thanks in advance.
  • dmajdmaj Member Posts: 1
    Re: #36 & #37 msgs. I also have a deafening wind noise in my new 2001 2wd automatic. I have a roof rack and have adjusted the bars, with no luck. This is really loud. I've only had it the rav4 a couple of days, and I like everything else, but this noise is awful.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    dmaj:
    You say you adjusted the roof rack bars. I'm not sure what you meant.
    Did you check that the arrows on the bars are pointing toward the front? Others have had excessive noise due to backwards installation of the crossbars.
    I had the roof rack (sold it - didn't want to buy it in the first place), but I noticed no wind noise while I had it on the vehicle.
    Good luck. ejp
  • bumper4bumper4 Member Posts: 4
    Someone mentioned a alder person does not look right in a Rav4. Nonsense. I saw a woman at least 80 yr old driving one and she looked great. My friend is 72 yr old and drives a standard and loves it. What next, a young person not driving a Cadillac? I am thinking about buying soon and wonder about the standard transmission performance on the Rav4. Could someone enlighten me on this? I now drive a Honda Accord and a Mr2, both being standard. My wife likes to drive both cars. Oh, by the way I am 70 and my wife is 68. I hope we look good driving the Rav4.
  • wallywyowallywyo Member Posts: 3
    My 96 RAV4 has developed a squeaky in the back door. It seems to only do it when it was cool or wet. As the day warms up, the squeak seems to go away. Any ideas?
    Just bought 2001 that had factory install. This was the first RAV that I looked at and bought it on the spot. Looked at some others after I bought this one to just see other colors and found some that did not have the step rails on the side and realized what a difference that makes. It is a totally different looking car with those chrome side step rails. I doubt that I would have bought the car or looked at them but those really caught my eye and really change the appearance. Sure this is not for everyone and it is a bit pricey but never, never would have thought it would have made such a difference to me at least.
  • rtorresrtorres Member Posts: 1
    Is anybody experiencing whistling noise coming from the sunroof.... and is this normal?
    2001 L package rav4....love the vehicle.... can put up with the noise if I have to. Heard that the luggage rack will make noise but that doesn't seem to be in my case.... just the sunroof.
    please respond if same case..... thanks
  • argo77argo77 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of adding step bars to my RAV4. I would appreciate any input on whether they hinder entry/exit in any way.
    I got the factory installed ones and they really added a bunch to the appearance of the vehicle. In fact that may have been what attracted me initially to the vehicle.

I hit my pant leg every time I get in and out. I have since learned to step on the bar with my heel when getting out first and then step down. It is a bit to get used to but in bad weather it will be a necessity. If it is ice or snow it may be a bit hazardous to step on this first. So yes they do make getting in and out different but I like the appearance look enough to put up with it. By the way I would suggest something like the factory ones with all the chrome they add a nice touch. If gals are trying to do this with heels forget it, it is not worth slipping on them. If you wash your own car it makes it much easier to step on these and get to the roof. But I did run out of places to step as I got to the back of the roof so watch it.
  • bumper4bumper4 Member Posts: 4
    I will buy a new Rav4 soon and cannot make up my mind to whether to buy a Standard or sautomatic. Can a few of you who have one or the other give me some insight on the performance of both. I have driven the automatic but am not able to find a standard locally. Many thanks in advance. Bumper4
    bumper4, post #120

I bought the '01 RAV4 with the auto trans. I've had manuals before, but no longer want to deal with a lot of shifting in traffic. The new RAV auto trans is pretty sophisticated. I am impressed. I lock out the overdrive when I need to make a high-speed merge onto an Interstate. Other than that, I just let the tranny do its thing, and I am satisfied with the response. And the auto trans EPA mpg is rated slightly higher than the manual. After 5,000 miles, I am getting 25 mpUSg with 4WD in mixed suburban/highway driving, using regular gas.
    Good luck in your choice.
    ejp
  • savvy4savvy4 Member Posts: 34
    My wife and I purchased the new 2001 RAV in Feb. of this year to replace her '95 Nissan Sentra. The new RAV is her daily driver, but I like it so much (I'm a 31-yr.-old big guy who's not embarassed about driving it, either), I drive it every chance I can! We managed to get a 2wd L package with a manual transmission, white ext./tan interior for $19,400...$300 over invoice. We had to drive 3 hrs. west to IA City, IA to get it, though. It was the only 2wd manual L-package RAV in our entire tri-state area (N.IL, S.WI, E.IA) at the time. Toyota has been sending our local dealers 4wd L-package automatics, primarily, and not much RAV quantity in general.

I test-drove the auto 4wd and wasn't impressed with the inline acceleration for passing and overall highway driving, but it wasn't too bad. But, I place a premium on MAX performance and 90% of my daily drivers have been manual trannies in the past (I've owned 6 different Japanese "daily drivers" since '88, two of them from "premium" divisions). If you put any emphasis on performance at all and want every bit you can get out of your 4-cyl. motor while simultaneously getting decent fuel mileage, then the ONLY way to go is with a manual transmission. Larger 6's and 8's are better motor choices coupled to auto trannies. But, it depends on your needs. If I were purchasing a new RAV for primarily in-town usage, then the auto trans would suffice, especially if you're doing tons of stop-n-go driving. If you plan on commuting and do a lot of hwy driving, get the manual. Someone mentioned the auto trans got better mileage...do cows fly? I don't think so. The new RAV in the 2wd manual trans config is the highest-mileage RAV there is; it's rated for 31mpg on the hwy. I haven't done an "official" mileage test on ours yet, but it's just broken in with only 1900 miles on it and seems to be getting outstanding mileage.

Now...2wd vs. 4wd. I thought that subject was dead. Remember, the 2wd RAV is front-wheel-drive, and fwd's get great winter traction. If they didn't, then why would the majority of new cars have fwd? I lived in MT for nearly 4yrs. I was the first one to my local ski area after a large snowfall every time. I owned a '90 CRX at the time, fwd manual, of course. How'd I do it in the deep snow? Very carefully, a manual transmission, and winter tires. If you get a 2wd RAV and purchase a set of Bridgestone Winter Dueler tires (and another set of wheels would help so you could unbolt your factory tires/wheels and bolt on your winter set in a jiffy) to be used for your winter months, nothing will stop you. Everything, anything, and all possible things about winter, summer and all-season tires for cars and trucks are found at <http://www.tirerack.com>, the source for all tire knowledge. Don't work for 'em, don't know 'em, but I've purchased my last 8 sets of tires from them and a winter tire/wheel set that I've used for the past two seasons on my '96 G20. I got a nice set of OZ-brand aluminum 6-spoke wheels with Bridgestone MZ-02 winter tires mounted, balanced, and delivered to my doorstep via UPS for about $575. What's your life worth to you? If you want MAX winter driving safety, how come you haven't purchased winter tires yet? YES, they're that good. Do you wear your Birkenstock sandals year-round, even in the snow? Sure, they're great summer shoes, but they don't belong in a winter environment. So, why should you expect your "summer" tires to suffice in the winter? Oh yea, you have all-season tires, meant to be used all year round. Well, I thought all-season tires were cool until I found out about winter tires. All-season tires are like a jack of all trades. A jack of all trades is a master of none. They're meant to be used in all seasons, but they're never good or outstanding in any one season. I know people say they're tires are "good enough" for them. Well, that's fine. But, don't knock winter tires until you try 'em. Once you try them, you'll never want to use your "all-season" tires in the winter again.

Wow, what a book...sorry. My reasoning is our RAV will rarely, if ever, leave the pavement. I rather go with the mechanical simplicity of the 2wd RAV (which also gets better gas mileage than the 4wd) and spend the $600 or so to get the winter tire/wheel set from the Tire Rack this fall instead of paying the $1000-$1100 premium for the 4wd option. The 2wd (front wheel drive) RAV is probably the best choice for most drivers in most situations. Besides, if you're into real off-roading (which requires 4wd), you should be looking for a 4-Runner or a Land Bruiser instead of a car-like RAV.

• tracker6tracker6 Member Posts: 1
    Have wind noise coming from the roof(with moon
    roof closed)on my 2001 Rav4. Read in a previous message that one possibility was the roof rack cross pieces were not pointed in the right direction(they have arrows on them). Noticed the front cross piece arrow was pointed back not front. Does anyone know how to turn these around without much difficulty? Dealer said it would take him 30-45 minutes. This may be my answer to the wind noise but won't know until I reverse the direction.
    Thanks.
    tracker6, post #123:

When I sold my roof rack to another RAV-er, he got the crossbars off pretty quickly, but I wasn't paying close attention to how he did it. It might be worth playing around with them for a few minutes before having to take the RAV back to the dealer.
    Suggestion: back off and remove the tightening knobs, then 'angle' the bar until it comes out from between the side pieces, then reverse and reposition it.
    Or you might ask in the forum at rav4world.com (Antoine was the guy's name).
    Good luck.
    ejp
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    1. Are RAV4's made in Japan?
    2. How hard is it to get one in blue? It seems like my local dealers only have silver and white.
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    Yes, rav4's are all Japan-built.

The color mix that your local regional panel orders is possibly heavier ratio'd to silver, white, perhaps black... there's a dealer group who meets every two months and they are the deciding factor for all colors and options.

In your area, much like in mine, there's a good chance that they have a small ratio of blue cars, green cars, and even red cars coming. I believe that's because the white, silver, and black are all also Limited model colors... as is the gold, but you can't get gold with factory leather. They may think that those "basic" colors are more desireable. The blue, the red, and the green and the gold are also very scarce in Southern California as well. It may also be the same for you where you are looking at them. Have you asked the fleet managers or sales people at your local stores if they mind trading for one for you?

-Ret
    scottdude:
    The blue, green and red RAVs are only available as non- 'L' (base) models (as reticent implied in #126), and the manufacturer would rather push the 'L', as there is more gingerbread on it, and therefore higher profit.
    Still, a base model with a QO (Quick Order) package is a pretty nicely outfitted rig, and costs considerably less than an 'L' (around $1,000 less). Worth looking around for if you like one of these three rarer colors.
    Good luck.
    ejp
    It seems the only colors available in the midwest so far are white, silver, and gold. I haven't seen any of the others yet, nor have I seen many new RAVs in general (still pretty rare). The local Toyota dealer in Rockford (pop 140,000) hasn't had a single new RAV on the lot this year, that I've noticed.

The most noticeable exclusive items you get with the L package are the "hard" full-size body-colored tire cover and the roof spoiler. If you can live without those items, you can get a Quick-Order Packaged RAV just as loaded as an L model.

We have an L model with the roof rack, and the "arrows" on the cross bars are pointed in the right direction, I noticed. I hear a little bit of wind noise, but nothing serious at all. I took a little time to inspect the cross bars and I can't see how it would make that much of a difference even if they were installed incorrectly. They have a pretty symmetrical shape to them. But, the smallest imperfections get amplified at interstate speeds, so maybe it IS an issue. It just doesn't appear to be. We're Yakima roof rack users, and have been for years. We're going to start using our Yak-rack on our RAV soon and I'm sure the noise levels will really jump up, then. I've had our new RAV on the interstate during extreme windy conditions and I noticed that it DOES like to wander a bit on the road. It's not extreme, and it's no fault of the steering or suspension systems, it's just that the vehicle's design seems to "catch" the wind more than I'd like. It requires a higher level of awareness in tight high-speed traffic situations with high winds. Maybe all SUVs are this way...I dunno, this is our first one. It's been 11 years of cars for us, as that's all we've needed until this RAV. I had a couple of pickups before and I don't remember them "swaying in the wind" like our new RAV.

We also have the "creaking noise" at the base of the windshield, but thanks to the info on rav4world.com, we're going to see the dealer about that. It's too bad, and it's hard to believe a Toyota product has such a noise. But, it's a simple fix. We also had a nasty "creak" in our rear cargo door, but I slapped some serious grease on the hinges and all seems to be fine now that the grease worked itself in. Overall, the appearance, fit, and finish is typical Toyota high-quality.

The only other concern I'd like to mention to possible manual-transmission buyers is the seating position. I'm 6'1", and I can get really comfortable in the RAV; it has lots of room and the seats are great. I can sit fully vertical and I have about 4 inches of room or more above my head. But, my wife's short and being that the RAV's seats are fairly high off the floor and the clutch pedals are a good distance away, she has to move the driver's seat to a position that's scary-close to the steering wheel just to work the clutch properly. With an airbag in the wheel, even the new reduced-power bags, it's not good to be that close to the wheel. So, if you're a fairly short person, you may want to look into this before you buy a manual RAV.
    1. Can someone who has seen the blue describe it? Is it a dark blue, or more medium? Any photos on the web that show it off good? The Toyota web site does not do it justice.

2. Is the hard rear tire cover only available from Toyota in the L package or can you buy it separately from the dealer? Or is there an after-market source that sells these?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I can't vouch for how good they are, but Edmunds has car color swatches. Here's the RAV4 link (scroll to the bottom).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Scott, it's the very same blue that's on the MR2 Spyder and the Celica GT or GTs -- color code 8M6. I know where to locate a photo, but you have send me your email adddress and let me know where to send it to. OK?

--Ret
  • sandthrushsandthrush Member Posts: 6
    The hard rear tire cover only comes with the L package. I'm sure you could buy one from the dealer. I did research into what it would cost to get one and I found a site on the internet that sells it for $419.00 (that included shipping and no tax). I just went ahead and got the L package because I wanted the hard rear tire cover and I wanted the siver painted bumpers instead of the black bumpers.
    We got a compliment on our 2001 RAV4 from a neighbor who drives a Cadillac Escalade (SUV). It made my day. I should of offered a trade, then we could sell the Cadillac and buy 2 RAV4's, since we are thinking about purchasing a second one anyway.
    I've had tons of compliments about our RAV since we purchased it a few months ago, from owners of every vehicle make. No doubt Toyota has come up with an awesome design for the current RAV. Sandthrush, maybe your neighbor would trade so you could get 2 RAVs? Hehe. My wife drives our RAV, and I'd like one for myself now. Too bad my neighbor is an elderly widow with an older Buick Park Ave, as I wouldn't trade for that!

Scottdude, you could go to www.caranddriver.com and check their recent test on small SUVs. Featured in the test is the new RAV in the blue color you're talking about. You should be able to get a really good idea of the shade it is. They even have a screen saver download which contains all the mini-SUVs in the test. It's pretty cool...
  • berthabertberthabert Member Posts: 2
    We bought our RAV4 brand new in 1996. It currently has 158,000 miles on it. A week ago, it sputtered to halt and died. Since then, we've spent almost $600 dollars on it and at this moment it is sitting in the driveway still not starting. The battery is new, along with the hoses, belts, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, distributor cap, timing belt tension spring, and the fuel system has been flushed. It cranks but will not turn over. There is no check engine light on but we have had it on the diagnostic machine and nothing turned up. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? When it was running, it ran with no problems, so smooth and pleasant, I never got tired of it. It's one of the best vehicles we've ever owned and until now we've had no problems with it. We just made the last payment... and isn't that ironic? ;I) Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.
  • genehargenehar Member Posts: 1
    I recently ordered a new RAV4 because I wanted ABS and the option was unavailable in my region. I was told that it would take 10-12 weeks to arrive; I am now in my tenth week. Does anyone know of someone else who has ordered a RAV and how long did it take for delivery and were there any complications? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • jenfer1jenfer1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a RAV4. I now own a Honda Civic EX Sedan and have been a loyal Honda customer. I'm wanting to get away from the sedans and am looking for a mini SUV with reasonable mileage and the RAV seems to fit the bill. I test drove the 2001 model today and the salesman told me that although the sticker said 29 mpg highway, that Toyota is notorious for understating actual mileage, and I'd probably get more like 32 mpg. (?)

I also drove the Honda CR-V and liked it, but the mpg is not so great. I drive a long way to work (takes me anywhere from 30-45 minutes each way depending on traffic) and don't want to regret my purchase at the gas pump. What do you RAV4 owners think of the economy of the vehicle?

Thank you.
  • sevenseassevenseas Member Posts: 44
    My 1999 rav4 had symptoms ranging from the engine turning over then dying to hard cranking for up to 30 sec. before finally running. Air intake valve was the culprit, a known problem my dealer informed me with Camry's and RAV4's (not affecting the new 2001 models). Replaced, now its fine.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    SUVs, because of their higher profile and larger surface area, tend to be affected a lot more by crosswinds compared to low slung cars. Minivans suffer from the same problem. This is probably exacerbated by the fact that the RAV4 is relatively short lengthwise, and wheelbase-wise. Sometimes tires can also play a factor in this.

Adding a fairing, like the ones that Yakima or Thule sell, may probably help to significantly reduce wind noise from the roof rack.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Jenfer post #137:
    I do not believe the mileage would be as high as the salesman says (32) if you are talking US gallons (Canadian is different).
    With 5,000 miles on my '01 RAV with 4WD and auto trans, I am now getting 25+ mpUSg in suburbs/highway 70/30 driving. The sticker said 23/28, so I think it was pretty accurate. And mileage can continue to improve to 10,000 miles or more.
    Good luck.
    ejp
    Suvshopper4, jenfer1 didn't mention some pertinent information about what type of RAV she was looking at that the salesperson stated could get 32mpg. Your 4wd automatic gets the worse rated mileage of all the RAVs, a 2wd 5-spd. is rated the highest of the RAVs at 31mpg (by Toyota) for hwy. mileage. Yea, it might be unrealistic to expect 32mpg, but a 2wd 5-spd would be the RAV configuration that would approach that figure of 32.
    Drew, I know all about the theories of high center of gravity vehicles, but I've never owned a [light] mini-SUV before and was wondering if there were any "veteran" mini-SUV owners that could give feedback about the wind effects on their vehicles. I mentioned in my post #128, paragraph 3, lines 11 & 12 that the DESIGN of the RAV has something to do with its slight wind instability, your mention of short wheelbase/width is also a factor, and vehicle weight is another factor. Tires? Yea, somewhat, but RAVs are equipped with really nice Dunlops which shouldn't give any negative "wandering" effects. Dunlop produces some of the best tires available. I drove Chevy Suburbans (late 80's models) in the military and logged up thousands of miles on them. They're very heavy vehicles, and their weight helps keep them somewhat stable in crosswinds despite their huge wind-catching dimensions. It's hard to get daily wind averages higher than what central Montana experiences, and that's where I logged my hwy. mileage with 'burbans. I once witnessed a heavy armored vehicle (shaped like a van) get blown into the ditch by severe crosswinds as the vehicle crossed a patch of black ice going about 50-55mph. The same vehicle hit the ditch at that speed and toppled end-over-end about four times before coming to an abrupt stop. Luckily, no one died, but they were injured.

Other people are experiencing roof rack noise, not I. I haven't noticed any irregular rack noises whatsoever with our RAV, and our rack came with the crossbars installed "correctly" with the arrows pointing towards the front of the vehicle. However, if you take some time and look very closely at the new RAV crossbars, you'll notice that they're very symmetrically shaped with exception of the tightening knob locations on the leading edge. Ironically, the "correct" method of crossbar installation puts the knobs on the forward side of the bars, which should theoretically cause more noise than having them installed the wrong way. Go figure. As far as accessory rack usage, yes, I agree, if you're going to install a THULE or YAKIMA rack on a vehicle (your RAV?), spend the extra dough and get the fairing. We've been Yakima rack users for six years now, and we use a fairing. A few months of using our rack w/o a fairing convinced me to buy one! It really helps smooth out the air flow.
    I believe that different regionas across the USA experience their build order process differently. Where are you geographically, and what region did you order-build a RAV from? I might have an answer for you. Can't promise, but I may be able to clarify.

-Ret
  • berthabertberthabert Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Will definitly give this a try! :o)

Leah
  • jenfer1jenfer1 Member Posts: 2
    #141-savvy4, yes I did leave some information out. I didn't realize it until my message was already posted.

I test drove a 01 RAV4 2WD 4 speed automatic. The salesman indicated that I may get as much as 32 mpg; the sticker indicated 29/22. My last two cars have been compact sedans, so I'm used to very economical cars and am wondering how much more I'll be spending on gas each month. I drive about 60 miles round trip to work each day and am wondering if I wouldn't be better off with another sedan (sigh!)
    Sorry if I offend anyone, but don't listen to the salesman about gas mileage. Go by what is on the sticker. We have a 97 Camry and it is getting what the sticker said it would get. We just purchased a 2001 RAV4 (2WD, 5-speed) and on our first tank of gas we got 27 mpg, mostly city driving, which is what the sticker said it should get.
  • rmcgeorge2rmcgeorge2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the history of this engine. I was told by a salesman that this was the Carry engine from the years 1988-92,but have not been a able to confirm. My husband is very wary of this due to the fact that he once owned a Veda - with the worst engine in history. I am ready to buy, but need to convince him that this engine will be reliable. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sorry about the spell checker (I'll ask the tech folks to add camry and vega to the word list).

You do have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Jenfer1,
    With this past year as an exception, I've driven 80 miles round trip to work for the past 5 years, so I know what you mean. I've been driving compact Japanese sedans for the past 12 years total. But, the RAV does get good mileage in any transmission/drive configuration, and it's the nicest mini-SUV out there that's also economical to operate, IMHO. I don't know if you'd get 32mpg on the hwy with the 2wd auto you drove, but the 2wd manual would get you really close to that mileage figure. If you're short like my wife at 5'3"(or you can't drive a 5-spd manual), you may want to "stick" with the auto, as the RAV's high seat height makes it difficult to depress the clutch pedal fully for shorter people. We purchased the new RAV to have something "different" since we've owned so many sedans. We're very happy with our purchase so far, and it's tons better than a sedan when you need it for utilitarian purposes. The folding/removable rear seats really open the little RAV up for cargo uses that a sedan can't match. Since your used to compact sedans, you'll notice the RAV won't allow you to take turns as speedy as a small car, but it does handle pretty good overall for a tall vehicle.

Ordering...we were going to order a red exterior RAV because my wife wanted that color badly. Once we found out the red exterior color wasn't available in the L package and the wait would be 3 months to get one, we drove 3 hours west to get a white exterior RAV equipped close enough to our specs for us to buy it. We're pretty happy about the white exterior color after spending the past few months with it.

Toyota claims this for 2001 RAV mileage:
    2WD:
    manual trans.........25/31
    auto trans.........24/29

4WD:
    manual trans.........22/27(23/27 with the optional wide tires)
    auto trans.........23/27(23/27 with the optional wide tires)
    I test drove a RAV 4 and thought the drivers arm rest on the door was kind of thin and the center console arm rest was a little far back. Does anyone else share this view and in everyday driving is it a problem?

Also, on the test drive I went on a gravel road and boy was the car jerky and bouncy! Is this normal? It seemed really odd for an SUV to bethis rough... I would have thought it would have a little smoother ride over a bumpy surface. On the highway it was great.
    I'm 6'1" and our RAV's interior in all respects, including arm rests, is very comfortable. I think the door arm rests are very high quality and not "thin" in any way. However, I don't like the center arm rest. Its position is fine for me, but it's made of a somewhat slippery plastic...not to my liking. The worse part about the center armrest is the fact the lid only opens about 2/3 of the way and it has plastic hinges. It's very big inside, that's nice. But, I can see forgetting about the limited opening range of the lid and breaking the hinges as I open it one day. Stupid design, especially on a new Toyota, and especially for a highly used item as a center armrest. Our RAV rides a little bouncy around town, and I haven't had it off pavement yet. It's a tolerable bouncy for me, though. It has a lot to do with the short wheelbase, I'm guessing. It's true the best-riding vehicles are cars, that's just the way it is!
  • gszgsz Member Posts: 3
    Dear genehar:

I'm in Northern California; I special ordered my RED 2WD/Manual/Sunroof RAV4 on December 28th. The car arrived on March 25th... almost 12 weeks exactly as promised. Best, -gsz