Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• shelibellyshelibelly Member Posts: 1
    I saw this discussion and had my own question about replacing the timing belt in my 99 RAV. I was quoted $675 to replace the timing belt and the water pump and was wondering if that was a fair price or should I look elsewhere. I have 90K miles and I guess the timing belt is flapping around in there and it needs to be done soon, but I wondered if I should take the time shopping for a better deal or just getter done!

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide estimates that your 90,000 mile service should cost around $460, not including the water pump. Rates in your zip code may be higher than mine.

I'd say your mechanic may be a tad high unless you are getting your plugs and fluids changed with that price. But I haven't priced water pumps in a long time.

Use the link above to run your own numbers. Anyone have this service done lately?

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I agree with Steve.

Also, if your timing belt needs replacing I wouldn't wait too long to have it taken care of. If you can afford a little time you might go ahead and check around on pricing in your area (follow Steve's link for a quick look!). If the price you were quoted was fair it will still be fair in a day or two! :)

tidester, host
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Two quick questions

1)Anyone know of what, if any changes will be made to the 2006 RAV4?

2)When do the 2006 become available?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The 2006 will be a totally new design and will offer a V6 option. It sounds like it will be bigger. Expect it to be available early fall.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Didn't I just say that? ;)
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    Of the 2006 RAV4?
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Yes..any pictures or specific information such as size, features would be greatly appreciated!
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    There aren't any yet.
  • milom1milom1 Member Posts: 2
    I am a 2004 Rav4 owner. I posted recently about how uncomfortable it is for a driver who are 6'4" like me.
    Besides that, I had recently two incidents of unintended acceleration, 1 going forward from parked and, 1 in reverse. This one with damage to the left back bumper when I hit a pole holding the end of a fence in my drive way. Thanks heaven no one was in back of the car, because the acceleration was great.
    I have driven the car for over a year and, I had no incident of this sort.
    Looking over the internet in this forum I found out that NHTSA had closed a probe
    regarding incidents like mine in others Toyotas cars ( Camry, Lexus etc.) 30 in total with a pedestrian injured. The probe centered around the cars' electronic throttle control and found nothing wrong in the ones they investigated. It said sudden surges are sometimes caused by drivers who are unfamiliar with their new vehicles. I have driven this car for over a year when these incidents happened!.
    I took it to the dealer and they told me that after placing it in forward and reverse "nothing" happened. They did not check the "part" that controls the acceleration of the car, whatever the name is.
    So here I am with an almost new car that I am paying for and frightened to drive it to the point of never parking it in between cars. The feeling is awful. I have lost all confidence. I am a retired person and the least I need is this mess.
    Thanks for reading this.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    There is no apparent problem with this issue. If memory serves me right, these incidents were attributed to driver error (having one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator was one possibility). I would also suggest you let the vehicle warm up a few seconds before driving off (at first start-up). Hopefully you can have your acceleration problem resolved.
  • spanky5spanky5 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand spank'n new 2005 Toyota RAV4. Titanium Metallic with L package (AY, FE, RL, GY, HD, KE, SR, RF, DR, UP, MA, CF). Sent out 8 emails to dealers and got responses from 4. Only 3 with prices. Received a price from Schaumburg Toyota in Illinois for $23,000 which is $300 below invoice. MSRP is $26,200. Out the door $25,000 including tax and fees. They tried to steal my Chevy Blazer but I decided to try to sell it on my own. I've been keeping my eye on the RAV4 since 2001. If you are thinking about buying one, just test drive one.
    It is so quick compared to my 190HP V6 Blazer that I find myself flying when the light changes green. I have to take my foot off the gas a little. I love the way the gauges glow orange at night. It looks like they are on fire. The steering wheel is small like a racing wheel. It corners like a cat. Saying it's fun to drive is an understatement. Love the small details like the RAV4 embroidered in the floor mats. I love the style. I don't know what next years will look like and I don't care. All I know is I like this one. Don't want an option for a V6. One of the reasons I bought this is because of the 4 banger with good MPG. With how quick and fast it is I can't imagine someone wanting more. And I have read that the engine is noisy. WRONG. It's smooth and quiet. Love the seats. Feels like you are sitting in a cockpit of an airplane. Maybe not that good but you get the idea. There is quality throughout. Maybe I should be writing this on a review board but I have been reading the stuff here and decided to finally write something. To all of those deciding if they should buy one, take what you read with a grain of salt and take a test drive. You won't be disappointed. Also the size is fine for 90% of the people out there. Some of these SUV's out now should be classified as busses. Here's to many happy years with my RAV4. O what a feel'n.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    But apparantly they are pretty quick. If you look in this month's "Truck Trends" magazine, you will see that it (4WD 5-sp) went to 60 in 7.9 seconds (I think that's what it was, don't have a hard copy in front of me). I tell you that really surprised me!

My 2000 RAV4 is certainly much slower than that! What a difference that 2.4-liter makes!
  • janninejannine Member Posts: 1
    With only 2,000 miles on my new Rav and 2 months old the alloy rims, tack welds are all rusting out. This is a poor design from toyota. Are they going to reognize the probles? Every Rav I see with the stel alloy rims are all doing the same thing. Also they were not properly sealed off right, at the factory. The only way to fix it would be to upgrade them to the alluminun. I have had the car professionally detailed 3 times. The detailer has been doing cars fro 28 years. He said he never seen this in a brand new vehicle. I met with toyota Rep. He said that you have to keep them clean. HA! Thats a joke. I am in arbitration now to have the rims upgraded at no cost to me. Look at your rims. They are all doing it.
  • newrav4newrav4 Member Posts: 1
    #1: How to program a new remote to this auto?? The auto was a demo, and I only got 1 remote with it. I already bought a new remote but I need to program it.
    #2: I plan every year to let the auto sit unused for 6 months (when we go to our winter home).
    My problem is that if I leave the battery connected, the current draw from on-board electronics (clock, computer, etc.) will drain the battery and then damage it. If I disconnect the battery that long will this cause the auto's computer to need reprogramming? Also will the remote key recognition be lost? In the past I have used a float charger, but now I do not have access to 120V AC to power the float charger. I really don't want to damage the RAV4, or need reprogramming every year. I already have a 1999 RAV4L 4WD at my winter home, and I've disconnected the battery for 6 months. I'm less worried with the 1999 (I hope) than the 2005 because the newer the car, the more involved the computer software.
    Thanks for any and all advice!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    That has happened to me twice, first time was during a test drive of a new Mazda Miata. When I got back to the dealer I checked and found that the dealers special "protect the carpet" floormat was laying on top of the gas pedal but behind the brake pedal. Every time I stepped on the brake hard the carpet protector pushed the gas pedal down.

I'm getting old.

Vacationing in HI early this year the condo rental came with a minivan. Just one time it surged forward as I braked to a stop.

A few days later as I was vacuuming the car I noticed that the floor mat was, ahhh, you already guessed.
    Er, you were vacationing in Hawaii and felt the urge to vacuum out the rental minivan?

Hey, you can borrow my minivan anytime you come to Boise. :-)

That would explain the phenomenon for those times when people insist they did step on the brake, and explains why many OEM floor mats have a hook gizmo built in to keep them from sliding around.

Steve, Host
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "Er, you were vacationing in Hawaii and felt the urge to vacuum out the rental minivan?"
    on the condo included the minivan and the requirement that both be clean on departure.
    Thanks Willard; I really should rent my house out for a week and toss the minivan into the deal!

Steve, Host
    During the Porsche Bogus Basin event?
    That's not the first time you've mentioned the Porsche event here and I've yet to hear anything about it. I don't commute in those rarefied circles I guess. Come on down; I'll buy the java.

[Edit] Hey, that started yesterday. I've driven that road at least a 100 times in the last few years; it's twisty. Looks like fun:

Bogus Basin Bacchanalia

Steve, Host
    My C4 is still in my nephews garage in Memphis, plan to retrieve it over the 4th.
    The RAV4 as a tow vehicle behind our MH. AWD, manual transmission, etc.

Does anyone know how the 2005 AWD system works. The earlier ones used a viscous clutch, same as my 2001 AWD RX300, but as of 04 the RX dropped the VC in favor of brake torque apportioning, did the RAV4 do the same?

The Toyota salesman said the RAV4 F/R engine torque bias is 80/20. That is in the range of the best (high wheelslip) case I measured on the dyno for my RX, everyone agree?
  • skippy5skippy5 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear of your problem.I have a 04 RAV and now I am looking for this problem.Do you have any pictures of the rims with the rust? Thanks in advance.Skippy :(
  • rav4urav4u Member Posts: 21
    I noticed that in a few spots on mine, but not everywhere. It's just where the mating surfaces have a small gap where water can get in. A fix is probably to sand and repaint the spots and then seal it with some type of caulk. It should have been done right at the factory though and is disappointing to see on a car less than a year old. They probably need to go back to the drawing board on how they build these rims.
  • derushaderusha Member Posts: 1
    OK, I am a 22 year old male, looking to buy my first new car. I love SUV's, but they're simply out of my price range right now...except the small ones. I really have loved the Toyota RAV4, but I'm wondering if it is considered a chick car at all. I'd get a red one...so I don't think it looks like a chick car to me at all. However, I very well could be wrong.

Take a look at these pictures, and let me know. If I hear good things, I will go tonight (5/31) and get one! Please respond quickly! Thanks!
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    54% of RAV4 owners are women, but this a great vehicle, lots of standrad safety equipment, good pick up, and headroom. I cant find a vehicle that beats A RAV 4
    for overall quality, reliability and good looks. besides red, I would look at black and pewter which is offered on the sport model. I think its the best value on the road and IM a 54 year old male, and very Macho, besides if chicks think its cool you will be a head of the game. Let us know waht you end up getting. This is a great forum :D:D
  • whtwndrwhtwndr Member Posts: 5
    2005 Automatic, Roof Rack, Tonneau Cover, Carpet/Cargo Mats, Power Sunroof, and others

Invoice at 20,954

$20,690-$900 Rebates = $19,790 (including all dealer fees). I called area dealers to see if they would match and their exact words were, "You should go buy that car right now!"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Consider posting that in Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

tidester, host
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I had one (a '04 RAV4) but traded it for an '05 Highlander as we needed more space. As to the "chick car" thing - don't worry about what ppl think of your car, if you're secure and happy with it - who cares what others say or not? With the new 2.4L engine as of '04 it's a very peppy rig and handles very well with the 235 tires I had. I am an over 60 male, hetrosexual and I wouldn't give a rat's as$ whether ppl think it's a "chick car" or not. If you like it - do it.
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    Drove my wife's '03 RAV4 to the beach (~160 mile round trip) yesterday and even
    with four (4) adults and assorted junk it returned 25 mpg and that includes some
    city running-around which added an additional 40+ miles. So the mpg figures are
    about right for a highway/city mix. Straight highway might would deliver as high as
    28-29 mpg which we achieved about two (2) years ago on another trip when the car
    was a couple of months old. It had adequate pick-up coming out of the toll-plazas
    and for general passing and never felt too-winded. The sun-roof is buzzy with the
    sun-cover open, but the sun roof closed. Close the sun-cover and you can't hear anything. Open, the sunroof is noiseless or at least you can't hear anything for the wind-noise. Might be cured with a little sun-roof lubricant, but is not a real annoyance either way.

The dash noise is back in ' lite ' version, not as loud, but still noticeable over some road-surfaces. The RAV is still under 3yr./36 through March '06, so I think I will
    take it back again for the techs. to have a look-see. I know the service manager got sick of seeing me some through the door, but that's what warranties are for.

I will admit the the fit and finish on my wife's RAV was a little less than I expected of Toyota quality. It is noisy and somewhat buzzy all through the body-structure.
    My '01 Ford Escape does not have the interior buzzes and rattles that the RAV4
    does, but then again my Escape V6 is only getting 16-17 mpg City, 20 Hwy. I can
    live with noises more than I can a mediocre gas-mileage. However, I do like the pick-up my V6 has with 70K miles and will probably keep it as long as possible.

The main feature is the convenience of entry/exit my wife has with the RAV. She's got severe arthritis and it does help having a near-perfect vehicle for getting in/out
    manually. So, all in all the RAV4 is a great little vehicle for travel and getting around. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone making a choice for a small SUV or cute-ute used or new, eventhough I cannot speak for the '04 model-up.
    From posts of those who have '04's-up, they seem to be as good or better than
    previous year models. :shades:
  • golf4hackgolf4hack Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a base 2005 RAV4 and would like to add Fog lights. The parts department told us that no kit was available. Any advice?
  • golf4hackgolf4hack Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the same situation....any resolution?
  • junebabesjunebabes Member Posts: 1
    Recently after hitting any bumps on the highway our 99 Rav 4 has an interior noise that sounds like plastic rubbing - it goes away after awhile and then another bump and the noise starts - help please
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Just bought on 05 sport....no fog lights either....they looked everywhere for a sport w/fog lights.....hard to find...my dealer said they could order all the parts (no kits available)individually and install it for me at their cost..which is supposedly $500..I don't know if the aftermarket is a good option or not.
    I think i'll go without....
  • dwass1dwass1 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2005 RAV4... which was rear-ended literally coming off the highway on the way home from the dealer. The police kept on asking "How many miles to you have on this car?"

In any event, I've now discovered the hard way that the RAV4 doesn't have a rear bumper. Well, we have a nice family story.... as soon as the car leaves the body shop.

I'm thinking that there must be some sort of add-on, supplement or other fix tot he rear bumbper so as to prevent future occurrences. Anybody come across anything of the sort? Thanks.
    I had a trailer hitch/bumper installed on our 1998. Not sure how it would have worked, the RAV was never rear ended. I know a trailer hitch assembly assisted us in our Matrix when it was rear ended. I don't know if it's available on the 2005.
  • x1huangx1huang Member Posts: 1
    They really need to design some sorth of rear end bumper....I had my 04 Rav4 for a month or so and my car was the second car parked at an intersection. Some lil kid ran the light and hit a Ford Explorer which was the first car parked at the intersection. And bam......there goes my rear [non-permissible content removed]........cost the insurance like 12k to repair it.....sigh......just pray that nothing else happens in the rear.....

:cry:
  • dwass1dwass1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I understand that the 2006 RAV4 will have a rear bumper. I wonder if it's possible to put a 2006 rear bumper onto a 2005 vehicle. There are aftermarket bumper guards and grills out there, but my body shop advises that if installed, they will impede the rear door use.

Apparently the rear bumper omission was a marketing decision, so as to facilitate access through the rear of the vehicle. I don't think it makes the car unsafe. There are crumple zones in the rear of the vehicle to directly absorb energy from a rear end impact. My body shop advises that a bumper might serve transmit this energy to the side frame of the car.

I've got to expect that I have at least $5-6k worth of rear end damage, but my vehicle frame was not bent.

Thanks for the trailer hitch thought.
  • rav4rav4 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find one? I need a 1998 owner's manual or somone to tell me what the check engine light means that just came on. I bought the vehicle a couple of weeks ago and there is no manual. Thanks!
    Call the nearest Toyota dealer. Probably the gas cap or the O2 sensor.
  • bigupsbigups Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 99 RAV4 is making a strange noise whenever the RPMs hit 2000 (exactly) but no other time, so is generally in the beginning of acceleration.

The sounds could be most closely compared to holding a thin metal object like a guitar string in a spinning metal fan (but higher pitched)

any ideas are appreciated - happy to provide additional info if necessary just trying to get my 2nd opinion before taking it in this afternoon so i have an idea what i might be dealing with.
    Depending on the mileage, it could be the timing belt.
  • capaccionecapaccione Member Posts: 11
    I have a 98 rav 2wd - auto

Just had a timing belt ( no pulley or water pump) . It was $ 199 at a toyota dealer. It is less than 4 hours
  • cj3cj3 Member Posts: 1
    Rav4u- Can you please post the addy for the Toyota Tech site. I am experiencing trouble with my dealer for a sludge issue with my 2002 2.0 liter and can use all the information I can get my hands on. Thanks.
  • rav4urav4u Member Posts: 21
    Hopefully, Toyota will fix your RAV, but it's disappointing to hear of an engine sludge problem on the RAV4. Here's the info about the RAV4 site and the sludge discussion. http://yotarepair.com/rav4.html
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    I took my wife's '03 RAV4 to the dealer's this past Saturday morning to get the oil changed (every 3K) and tires rotated before we leave on a brief trip this weekend. The RAV4 is good on the hwy. and gets much better milage than my V6 Escape does so we go with better mileage vehicle.
    Think this would be a pretty simple exercise, but it almost turned real sour, real fast. Got the RAV checked-in at 07:00 AM and sat in an open-air waiting room inside the shop (they've got an iside waiting room too). I had built enough oil changes on a punch ticket to get this one for free, so the only thing I paid for was the tire rotation ($9.95). The oil-change tech. pulled the vehicle into the shop-exit drive after completion. I paid the cashier and got into the RAV, within 20-30 feet I noticed a rumbling sound coming from the front-end. I immediately pulled back into the service bay and went to get the service-writer. I explained to him what the noise was, and he looked at me as if I were crazy. I handed him my keys and said, you test-drive it and see for yourself !! He did, and within 20-30 feet he stopped, got out and went straight ot the service-bay and got the lead-mechanic for the day. The mechanic came out and re-torqued the loose the lug-nuts on the driver-front side. They were all loose. The mechanic said he didn't feel comfortable with it and took the vehicle back in and put it on the lift, took off all of the wheels and checked the lug-nuts, aluminum wheels, and anything else, for damage. After he was satisfied that everything was o.k., he drove the car again and came and talked to me. Both the service-writer and lead-mechanic profusely apologized and ended-up getting a a year's-worth of oil change coupons and $50.00 offf any out-of-warranty service work. The car seemed fine after being checked-out. I don't know what happened to the oil-change tech., but I'm assuming that he got a good dressing-down.
    Is there a reason why the wheel would be removed or did the tech intentionally loosen the wheel?
  • anna2074anna2074 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 RAV4 a month ago and I have had no problems with it until yesterday.

Yesterday, I couldn't open the locks with the wireless thing. I could open the passenger door (but not the driver door) manually so I got in. I tried to start the car and there was nothing. No sound, no activity whatsoever. The main lights had not been left on but since my 3 year old had played with the interior lights, I assumed one of those had been left on.

My husband tried to jump start the car. My alarm started to sound but the car could not be started. He took the battery to be recharged but still, the car won't start. Has this happened to anyone? I have a feeling it's a minor thing that needs to be adjusted but I am not at all knowledgeable about cars and can't figure it out. Could it have to do with the car alarm? I figure if I can't turn off the alarm, the car won't start but how do I turn off the alarm when there is no power and nothing happens when I click the open button.

I called the dealership (major dealership) I purchased it from and only got a machine so waiting for a call back. I have a 3 month warranty but don't know if they will cover this since I basically don't know what "it" is. Any suggestions? Anna