Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• dabronxboydabronxboy Member Posts: 1
    I'm also having mileage problems with my two month old 2005 Rav4. With 1700+ highway and city miles, and very conservative, gas conscious driving, I have not gone above 18 mpg. I am definitely planning to see my dealer about this. I know other Rav4 owners who have consistently averaged 25-27+ mpg, which is one reason I purchased it. The odd thing is, it shows no symptoms and it drives really great.

I would truly appreciate it if you would let me know what your dealer has done to correct the problem. If there's anyone else on this forum who has had a similar problem, I'd be curious to find out what the solution was.

:( dabronxboy
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I suggest a little patience. 1,700 miles is still a green engine. Give it a few more thou.

Also, dealer svc depts don't want to deal with this kind of thing. It would take a lot of time for them to verify the problem exists. What are they gonna do, drive off a tankful of gas? Who wants to pay for the time? How long would you want to be without your vehicle?

RAV on.
  • escapenutescapenut Member Posts: 117
    As suggested, a while longer with some more break-in may help. Toyota engine tolerances are much greater than a lot of other vehicle's, so it may take a bit longer to achieve optimum mileage. My wife's '03, consistently gets about 22-23 mpg City, but when new, until after about 5000 miles, she only got about 20 mpg City. If the mileage does not increase after 5K, then take to the dealer. Be aware that the EPA mileage figures (in small print on the window sticker can vary by 4-5 mpg depending on circumstances. So, the dealer may well say that the mileage is within 'norm'.
  • citizenbluecitizenblue Member Posts: 12
    Hello all. I'm working with a dealer (in Maryland) that has a loaded '05 blue 4x4. They 'located' it for me and now it's at their dealership. I'm going to call other dealers and see if they can beat the pricing that I've been given. Here's what it's got, codes included. Quoted price is $25,325 before the $750 rebate (sticker is like $28,000 or something and I'm not doing a trade-in), I'm trying to get them to give me a price of $24,675 before the $750 rebate. I've checked KBB and Edmunds for this exact setup and 'invoice' (before $750 rebate) seems to be $25,022. Since they agreed so easily to the price, maybe they have a lot of room to bargain since the 06 comes out soon. Any opinions/experience on how much I can haggle this deal would be greatly appreciated.

Spectra Mica Blue
    'L' package
    4WD
    Automatic
    Charcoal interior
    16" alloy wheels
    235/60R tires
    Leather seats
    Heated front seats
    Moonroof
    Rear spoiler
    Roof rails w/crossbars
    Remote keyless entry
    Wide mud Guards
    Daytime running lights
    F&R floor mats
    Cargo mat
    Cargo net

ay - spoke aluminum alloy wheels
    dk - some stupid misc crap
    dr - roof rails w/crossbars
    fe - emission equip
    gy - air bags
    hd - heated front seats
    ke - keyless entry
    la - leather seats
    ma - mud guards
    rf - rear spoiler
    rl - daytime running lights
    sr - moon roof
    up - L pkg
    z1 - F&R floor mats/Cargo mat/Cargo net/emergency kit
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    This is probably the wrong thread for your question.

But for your info, this past Sunday I wandered into a toyota dealer in Woodbridge, Virginia (DC area) to check out the new '06 RAV4, but they didn't have any. To my surprise, I was offered $20,890 on an '05 RAV4 with MSRP of $26,7-- without any haggling at all. :D I had to politely decline their offer because I was there just to see the '06. I guess they are desperate to get rid of those '05.
    Thanks, I posted in the 'prices paid' section too. Man, my MSRP is $27,762 (quoted price is now down to $24,726 before rebate), only $1,000 more than yours (maybe they were including rebate already?). Crap, I wonder how much more I can bargain on this deal. I actually drive by that Woodbridge dealer on my way home, maybe I'll call and ask around.
    I called them and they're telling me that there's a Flint Mica 05 Sport with MSRP of $26,047 there, is this the one? The salesman speaks bad English too, ugh. He's going to call me back, I asked him if he would honor that price. Now I'm all confused about pricing, this sucks.
    I called them and they said I could have it for that price. UGH, that's like $1,700 below the Edmunds invoice price (I got them to read me the codes on the sticker). Crap. How does one figure out what's going on if they are willing to sell that much below sticker?
    Well, I thought of the same thing too---their price was too low. It would be almost impossible to beat that price. The car they were referring to(me) was a frost white (a special $220 option?), 'L' package, side&curtain airbags, 235/60 16 inch alloy wheel, roof rack w/center rail, color-keyed fender flares and wide mudguards, sunroof, and auto trans. Last time I checked (their website) car was not there anymore. Probably got sold.

If it's convenient, you oughta stop by to check it out. It's definitely worth while. Good luck.
    Yeah, I noticed that the frost white one was not on their site, but the next expensive one was a Sport @ $26,040. That frost white was exactly outfitted like mine except for leather. It really will bite if this is legit, although I don't see how they can really sell one for $1,750 under invoice. Demo? Wrecked? Well, they did agree mighty fast to selling that Sport model to me at the same price that they gave you ($26,047 sticker). I'm going to stop by that dealer tomorrow and get the real scoop. I'm even going to bring the Edmunds printouts for both the Sport they have and also the L that the other dealer has for me and get them to explain to me that if they can sell me that Sport for so much under invoice that they might as well get the blue one from the other dealer and sell it to me, right?? I called the other dealer and told them about this and the sales manager called me back and was nice but told me he couldn't possibly do that kind of deal (take another $1,500 off the $24,475 price they are offering me PLUS the $750 rebate).
  • hondaconvert1hondaconvert1 Member Posts: 60
    I am getting above 30-31 MPG 70% city 30% highway driving with less than 4k miles in my ODO and I still have the original oil since vehicle purchase. As an FYI, I do believe the original oil has special additives to break the engine... so keep it and change it with no fear at 5000 miles or less. This is for a Toyota STD 5 speed manual, and yesterday I got 29.42 MPG due to colder weather...
    I don't know about the history of the car. But the speedo had <20 miles. Maybe it was just a special deal for that one night.

The sale manager got very persistent even though I kept saying that I didn't want to buy the car that night. :confuse: In fact, it was the first and only number that he offered me. He must have felt really confused when I walked out.

Again, good luck.
    I went in there tonight and spoke to a salesman and eventually, the sales manager, most likely the same guy you spoke to. I acted like I was interested in the Sport 05 model they had and I got them $1,600 under the invoice amount (before the $750 rebate and no other bogus fees other than tax/tags) on the Edmunds printout. Took me about 20 mins. tops to get them this low and I walked, because it was validating what you were saying and that's all I wanted. Now all I have to do is cross my fingers and hope I can get a similar deal Monday on the blue one I actually want. Right now, I'm only at $250 under the invoice amount on that one.
    Did you even test drive the car at all to get a price that low??

Like I said earlier, they must be real desperate to get rid of the '05.
    Yep, test drove it. I really do like the way the RAV4 drives too. Spent about an hour there. Went to the other lot (like 5 miles down the road) to look at others before I realized the one I was driving was the one I had the printout on. Oh yeah, I thought it was funny that the MSRP sticker had the 'Sport' package marked up $1,000 and at the bottom, it had a 'MSRP Discount' of $1,000 to bring the MSRP back to the original MSRP total. Funny. Anyway, went back, sat at the table, brought out my paperwork, told them about 'my friend' that had been in that previous Sunday looking for an 06 and that he was offered an 05 Frost White L for $20,860 after rebate and that I was interested in talking price on the Sport that I drove. The saleman went away and my girlfriend pointed out that the guy who had sat down at the desk across from us was the sales manager (she bought her Camry there) and that he was probably checking us out. He definitely was, then he got up, walked away, and then came back with the salesman. Then I haggled the price:

Sticker: 26,047
    Invoice: 23,354
    1st quote: 23,000
    2nd quote: 22,750
    3rd quote: 21,000 (after rebate)

The 3rd price is still more than the 20,860 that they offered you on that Frost White, which was $700 more MSRP. Not sure what that equates to invoice-wise, but I figured that if this deal was around $1,600 under invoice (before rebate), then the deal they were trying to give you was probably around $2,200 under (before rebate). After buying 5 new cars in the past 20 years, I do think they were serious and would have given me the deal for $1,600 under invoice (before rebate), no other strings attached. I did have to tell him that I would not pay anything other than the actual tag/registration fees and also that the silly $299 'Processing Fee' that was on the Buyer's Order needed to be scratched out.

So, I guess I'll just stick to my guns tomorrow night and hope that I can get a great deal like this on the one I want at the other dealer. I also got the FightingChance.com stuff and their invoice prices jive with KBB and Edmunds. The report on the prices that people have paid for RAV4's this year show people paying all the way down to $1,000 below invoice on 05 models too.
    Yeah, it helps when you know what you want and stick to that principle. But sometimes it's hard to do so. The "lust" part usually takes over, and you end up dishing out more than you should for the vehicle you think you want.

The vehicle you're interested in has leather (and heated seats?). It can be considered unique and a luxury item. That fact alone can work against you. Again, best of luck on your purchase.
  • valleygvalleyg Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone experienced any maintenance problems or issues that might lead to recalls with the 2001 or newer Toyota RAV4? The particular problem I am experiencing is clunking noises from the breaks engaging when you switch the automatic gear from reverse to drive or vise versa. I took the car to two local dealers, but both of them claim they can hear the noise but that it is normal and don't need any repairs? Is this right? Other friends who have this exact model RAV4 don't have this noise problem.

Thanks for any help.
    User7

I purchased a 2004 RAV4 about 6 months ago and heard the same "clunking" when going from drive to reverse (and vice versa). The Toyota dealership I went to said they heard it and it was perfectly normal and all RAV4s did that. They checked the brakes and told me nothing was wrong. I don't know anyone else with a RAV4, but I had a hard time believing the dealership that every RAV4 does that.

So I guess there are at least two RAV4s out there that do this.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Perfectly normal - floating calipers do that.
    As for the blue 4x4, I ended up buying it, but the dealer wouldn't budge more than $226 below invoice ($24,726). A respectable deal I suppose. It is kind of unique, loaded and with leather seats to boot. Love those seat heaters. Oh yeah, I also called the Toyota hotline and gave them a line about not being able to decide between a RAV4 and a CRV and they told me to FAX them my purchase agreement if I bought one in the next 12 months and they would send me another $250. So, I effectively got a $1,000 rebate or got it for $500 under invoice, take your pick. I'm going to try and forget about that dealer with the insanely priced 05 RAV4s and console myself with the fact that I only wanted the blue with the leather seats anyway (it's the truth).
    Since you're spending $20,000+ anyway, might as well spend it on the car that you like. As long as you can drive it with a smile, you did well. :)

Don't let the cheaper alternative bother you. $2000-$3000 is considerable amount. But a smile on your face knowing that you have one of the rare samples--priceless. :shades:
    I'm happy. The blue is a really purty color and I'm a sucker for leather seats. Spent more than I wanted to, but oh well.

Thanks for the replies. Take care.
    While I'm thinking about it, can anyone post the correct front/rear alignment specs for the 05? I can only find 01 specs on line. Thanks.
  • semicluesemiclue Member Posts: 3
    Hi peop, I swear I have really tried searching and finding the answer to this on my own, but I just cannot find the bottom line or even many opinions at all. Is there or is there not some kind of bumper guard type thing available for a 2005 RAV4? Saw them for older models (Waag, Westin) but apparently not for recent models. Would consider a trailer hitch if I have no choice, would just like to know the options. I live in downtown Chicago, will be street parking a lot, and think I'd be nuts to just hope nothing will ever happen.

But I also saw someone say in a thread here that his body shop told him that adding a bumper apparatus may cause the rear crumple zones to be bypassed and shift the impact to the side frame, which wouldn't be good... I'm so confused, this has to be a popular subject, I just cannot find anything. I was hoping to pick something and have it installed over the holidays where I'm visiting. Thanks!!!
    Thank you Paul, that looks good, and comes in stainless too. I'd seen it somewhere while surfing and didn't note where, but did note that it is by Waag. However it isn't listed on their own site so I wondered if it was a functional flop or something. (Ok, I admit I am clueless about assessing truck accessories!) I emailed them last week to ask if it is still made, and for local dealer info, like their site instructs. But they never answered me. Guess I'll call instead. But if I get nowhere, I am glad to have this eBay link you gave me! This is the best current possibility I've seen.

Someone at another board said he's gonna have a trailer hitch and horizontal nerf bar to slip into it configured, maybe that would work. (Maybe I should have posted all this at the Accessories board here, I didn't notice there was one til last nite.)
    Turns out that one doesn't clear the spare tire, but I guess none may, for any such vehicle. But if anyone is out there... What do you think of using this thingy? I saw in an ad for it elsewhere that it can indeed also serve as a bumper guard. (Could even get an available 8" hitch extender to use with it if it still doesn't clear the spare, but suppose that might be getting a bit ridiculous.)

http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_sp.aspx?p_id=2434&se=go_rhino_hitch- _step

(FYI, that site lists a RAV bumper guard but WAAG itself didn't seem to think it really is available for the RAV. And I don't think it comes in stainless.)
  • toomuchtoyotatoomuchtoyota Member Posts: 1
    The rav4 06-is nice but toyota dealerships in hartford/middletown and all over ct are using a b.s line that people are paying over the msrp. Sure,...hello. Nice vehicle, but not worth paying msrp............, :mad: :mad:

Come on Toyota...get real!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Did you make them an offer of what you were willing to pay (under MSRP)?
  • paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    I was at my local Toyota dealership killing time during an oil change when a woman walked into the showroom through the front door. There was one 2006 RAV 4 4X4 loaded on the showroom floor. The woman walked up to the first salesman she saw and said "I want to buy this vehicle right now". She paid full list as it was the only one at the dealership and their was a waiting list.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they did her by selling it to her without a mark-up! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• lilianlilian Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 RAV4. I love it I have had it for 7 years. Great car. My question is that on long distance journeys the seats become very uncomfortable. VERY. Does any one know if this is a feature that has been addressed in the later models? Thank for any feed back.
  • saqsalmsaqsalm Member Posts: 17
    I'm contemplating purchasing the RAV4 4x4 V6 Limited. Toyota's website states its Electronic On-Demand 4WD control disengages at speeds over 25mph. Does this mean even if one locks the car in 4x4 mode, the mode 'unlocks' at 26mph? I just want to make sure the 4x4 would kick in where the SUV detects slippage or wet conditions, even if its being driven at high speeds. Feedback would be most appreciated.
  • daisy03daisy03 Member Posts: 4
    This answer may be on this forum...somewhere...but if anyone has any ideas on this feedback would be appreciated. I know that some vehicles require premium gas, or at least the books say so. Does the Toyota require Premium Gas? And if so, is there anyone out there that does not use it and do you have any problems? Thanks!!!
  • vivianne96vivianne96 Member Posts: 2
    Whenever it rains, the passenger side of my RAV4 seeps water from the bottom up. I have no clue where the water is coming from, but I do know it only happens when it rains. This is the only place where it floods. I have a sunroof but I dont think its from there. I dont really know much about cars, so any help is great! Please help me, thanks you all sooo much!
  • ladibuyrladibuyr Member Posts: 4
    1st - leaky toyota - make sure the door and window have no gaps first. If not, bring back to the dealer asap.

2md - my salesman told me regular but the pamphlete clearly says premium

Now - my PSA - I've been speaking with dealers about RAV4s for about a month but something changed over the last two weeks with customers where the dealers have become arrogant and downright belligerent selling RAV4s under MSRP. One Virginia dealer refused to even tell me the invoice price!

To my fellow car buyers - DO NOT buy a vehicle for more than it is worth or valued at. DO NOT pay MSRP. You are literally throwing thousands of dollars out the window that will make you a laughing stock by the end of February when more shipment arrive and these salesmen have to actually use their skills to sell. Even if money isn't a concern for you, not being "taken" should be.

The dribbling of the Toyota RAV4 deliver to carlots (especially for test driving) is starting to make me suspicious about the RAV4 in general. It may just be them creating a demand or maybe there is more than one leaky window...
  • jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Total nonsense I think on logic of prices. Toyota limits cars so they can make $1200 extra on five cars at each dealer per month instead of makeing normal profit on 100 a month per dealer? Not likely.

Eventually more cars will come and prices will fall. If people buy before then it is because they need it or want it and are willing to pay.
  • norcalcampernorcalcamper Member Posts: 1
    Hi All. Recently bought a used 2004 RAV4 4wd. Unfortunately, it didn't come with an owners manual (I've ordered one now, just not in time for this trip). I'm heading to the snow for a day sledding trip and want to make sure I understand any issues with the installation/use of snow chains or the 4wd system on the vehicle. Like, I'm assuming since it's 4wd chains go on the rear axle? Any advise to make sure I don't hurt my new baby would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. NCC
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    We don't use snow chains in these parts, so don't have any personal experience, but checked my owner's manual and it says snow chains on the rear only, so you were right.
  • ladibuyrladibuyr Member Posts: 4
    You might be right Jim. I may have been paranoid but I couldn't believe I couldn't find one dealer to play ball with me on pricing. I've never experienced that before but I took the thought of supply and demand and went out of state (but not far away) to a large dealer w/ massive stock and finally got the price I wanted.

Now I am trying to find out about colors since I am ordering mine. The website colors are drawn. If anyoen has a picture of theri savannah metallic can you post it? I'd like a light gold but the color is hard to see online in drawing.

White and black are so hard to keep clean. We already have a silver Honda. SO I am hoping the gold is light enough and not tacky.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I know it's subjective, but the Savannah Metalic looks great (rich-classy). If we decide to buy, that's the colour for us. Sorry I don't have a picture. Saw it in early December in a reviewer's driveway and at the local dealer last week.
  • samocasamoca Member Posts: 1
    I am totally new to buying cars from dealers. My last car was actually inherited from a family member and my previous car I bought from a private party. I've only had older cars that I've basically driven into the ground. After looking around at Camrys at my local Toyota dealership, I tried a RAV4 and was quite smitten with the comfortable ride, etc. Had never considered an SUV but these do seem to get decent mileage. Anyway, I found a car listed on line from a small dealership near my house for a 2WD RAV4L 28,500 miles, clean Carfax, at $1500 less than the KBB and $2500 less than Edmunds TMV. (why are these different?) This totally confuses me and I'm not sure what to think. Why would they price it so low?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe these links will help:

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Buying Tips

Steve, Host
  • playworkplaywork Member Posts: 1
    My RAV4 2004 manual clearly states "Do not use chains on rear tires". I have the 4wd (as needed) manual model. I am currently hunting chains or cables, as I plan to take it up to the snow for the first time next weekend. Any other thoughts out there?
  • patjuarbepatjuarbe Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Rav 4 in November. The ride is horrible I feel every bump on the road. Is anyone else having the same problem? I hate to have spent so much money and now I'm having back pains I hate to drive the car. What can I do???
    Check the tire pressure - probably too high, dealer did not prep the car from the factory.
  • cassie9cassie9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Rav 4 and replaced the clutch by a local mechanic, at 82,000 miles after I had owned the car three years and driven it 30,000.
    The new clutch, 16 months old, 12,000, is completely worn. I am NOT that terrible a driver.....I have two concerns...
    1) is this really possible without it being a defective part or poorly installed work...
    and
    2) is the common practice a parts and labor warranty for this as the dealership has quoted me? or...will this hometown service station be able to charge me $1000 again?? Should they admit there was an installation problem??
    My recourse???
    My opinion is that 82,000 is pretty early to need a new clutch, unless you are in San Fran (or other VERY hilly areas) or drive in heavy traffic constantly. It is possible for a driver to fry a clutch in less than 5,000 miles or even sooner. With that said, either the clutch replacment was a poor job, or you really abused it. Chances are, the clutch was slipping slightly after replacement so that it was never fully engaged and wore out. However, can you think of any time (even once) that you may have seriously slipped the clutch to the point of overheating? Let us know.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There is yet another section of your owners manual that states the use of high traction, winter, tires on the front and not the rear will potentially result in loss of control.

In fact it can be hazardous to operate a vehicle in adverse roadbed conditions with a significant level of better traction at the front versus the rear. Which is why NO tire shop will install tire studs on the front without the same on the rear and you should always install new tires on the rear when you only buy two.

Then in the same owners manual Toyota and Lexus will blithely and lightly, with no warning of the hazards therefrom whatsoever, tell you to use snow chains only on the front.

If you expect to have the need to use snowchains then do as I did and install 1.5" wheel spacers, on the rear at least. Then you can use snowchains safely, at the rear first and add them to the front if necessary.

I added spacers all around and that allowed me to upgrade to 17X8 wheels and wider treaded tires. 3" wider stance results in more stability against rollover, better roadbed traction with the wider treads.

AND NO HAZARDS FROM SNOWCHAINS ON THE FRONT ONLY!!
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    An excellent source for information on the RAV4 can be found in Edmund's Inside Line. Was looking at postings about two pages back and followed the link Full Test: 2006 Toyota RAV4. Very informative. My thanks to all the postings.
  • epetersonepeterson Member Posts: 3
    Just drove the new larger & improved 2006 RAV4 w/ the 3.5 269hp Avalon motor-very powerful & very, very smooth. Steering is heavy-typical for AWD. Very nice interior. Dashboard is a ittle glitzy. Very car like, but almost felt cramped with the center console taking up space. Anyway, drove at freeways speeds in low to moderate winds & rain--no problems--stayed "sure footed". A little too spendy right now, so I'm going more utilitarian, & saving about $4K and getting a Element EXP--which has more cargo capacity anyway--my primary interest.