Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• gszgsz Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Is there a good reason for changing the engine's oil after the break-in period? I don't see anything in the car's manual to this effect but it is suggested in the dealer's own version of the suggested scheduled maintenance. Thanks -gsz
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    savvy4: Armrest/console storage lid opens 90 degrees with a detent (stays open at this angle). Just need to force it a tad to get it to 90 degrees.

others: Bouncy ride could be overinflated tires - common oversight with dealer prep. Often they don't reduce the tire pressure from the boat ride over, close to 50 psi, to the recommended 29 psi for driving.

ejp
  • savvy4savvy4 Member Posts: 34
    Gsz, oil changes are cheap (especially if you do your own like I do), and they're one of the most important things you can do for your motor's health. The break-in oil change should be performed even though there's no mention of it, because as the motor's breaking in, fine particulate (metallic) matter floats around in the oil and is harmful to the engine. There's more "floating metal" in your oil during the first 1000 or so miles on a motor than there will be on future oil change intervals. I've been changing motor oil on ALL my family's vehicles for 16 years, and the RAV is the easiest oil change around. Everything's located conveniently underneath, the engineers made it really easy for oil changes. Do the break-in oil change because it's cheap, and because it's beneficial to your motor. Also, if you don't already, learn to change your own oil. It's SOOO easy!

Suvshopper4, I'll have to check out that detent feature when I can get the vehicle from my wife tonight. I still wish Toyota would've used a different design for the center armrest/console, though. I'm sure it was a challenge with the fold-down rear cup holder feature, though.

As for the RAV's ride, I have my tires set at 29 all around (I check pressure once a week) and it's still a little bouncy around town to me. It rides smooth on the hwy, no problems. But, I guess I'm just spoiled from owning two nice cars in a row (an Acura and an Infiniti), so I doubt ANY SUV would impress me. Cars still ride the best, handle the best, etc. But, if you have utilitarian needs for a vehicle, the new RAV comes in handy. We hauled home about 20 bags of landscape rock from Menard's last week. Just folded up the RAV's rear seats, put down our tarp, and stacked the bags of rocks on the floor. I like that. It's hard to do that with a car as efficiently as you can with the RAV. We're glad we have our RAV!
  • hannah10hannah10 Member Posts: 11
    Would you care to tell us how much you paid?
    savvy4:
    On another site someone wrote about having a problem getting the '01 RAV's oil filter off, and I think they needed a special wrench or an extension. Did you encounter any such problem?

I'm glad to have my RAV too. I've done no hauling, but the RAV is a real good ride and the perfect size, power, and economy for my wants and needs.

ejp
  • hannah10hannah10 Member Posts: 11
    Anyone have some good facts on this? I absolutely do not need 4WD but do not want to end up actually paying more in the long run becuase I did not buy 2WD. Any thoughts?
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    I would recommend looking at resale values of other SUVs that came in 2WD/4WD (CRVs, Explorers, etc) configurations on Edmunds, www.kbb.com , www.carpoint.com, www.intellichoice.com and comparing them.

I think a lot of it has to do with what part of the country you live in...in FLA or AZ, I don't think you take much of a hit, but if you live where it snows/rains a lot, then you might want to think twice. If you search in some of the Smart Shopper topics, you might find some of the car salespeople and ask them, they are usually happy to help out with questions like this.
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    While the 2001 RAV4 has a new engine, and it's made out of aluminum, Toyota (and most other manufacturers) have successfully designed and built aluminum engines for many years. There is no comparison with the experience you had with your aluminum engined Vega 25 years ago (they were definitely horrible)...if you like the new RAV4, don't let the fear of an aluminum engine stop you. I don't know if it's based on an old Camry engine or not; I thought it was a brand-new design.
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    GSZ, what did your vehicle have on it? There are a few ways to "order" Toyota cars and trucks. If the vehicle you want is pretty mainstream, just scarce, a dealership preferences it and waits for one to be built out of the general allocation, and it can be a few weeks to 3-4 months. If the car you want isn't built at all "ever" due to the way your region orders that particular model, then a car CAN be built for someone specially...and that is a 3-4 month wait but you get EXACTLY what you want. To a T! We do that all the time for folks.

-Ret
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    In 1997 I purchased a RAV4 4x4 auto., loaded in Florida due to the fact I travel to NJ a lot {my 2nd home}. On the advice of one of the salespeople in this TownHall site, I sold it in NJ as I was told it would be sold faster and go for more $$$$ than if I sold it in Florida and the advice was corrrect.
    Post #159 is good advice. I can say that the RAV's do have "good resale" value as compared to other mini SUV' such as Kia Sportage.
    Suvshopper4,
    To my benefit, and just by coincidence, the new RAV uses an oil filter that's sized identically to the filters for my G20 which I already had a filter wrench for. I purchased my G20's filter wrench from the dealer's parts dept., and I would guess your local Toyota parts dept. should be able to help you get one. I'm sure a well-stocked and complete auto parts store would have one, too. It's the type of wrench that attaches to the end of a 3/8 ratchet and covers the end of the filter. Toyota's engineers placed the oil filter about 1 foot away from the oil pan drain bolt, and they placed it at the very bottom of the motor in a location where the oil can drip into your pan w/o splashing on other parts. BRAVO!!! The new RAVs have the best oil-change layout of any vehicle I've ever wrenched on. Totally easy, mess-free, and set-up for convenience. I didn't have any problems at all doing our first oil change on our new RAV. Oh, for those that want to do their own oil changes, here's the scoop on the Toyota oil filters that I found out by making a LOT of phone calls:

Original oil filter part# on our RAV:
    90915-10004 Japanese part(this part is no longer being used)

Current Toyota RAV4 oil filter part#'s:
    08922-02002 Japanese part, about $5.81 ea.
    90915-YZZA1 USA part, about $3.65 ea.
  • lumhylumhy Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend where I can get a good deal on a RAV4 2001 ?

The best I got was like about $1000 above invoice.
  • pedrolobopedrolobo Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I am strongly considering a 2001 Rav4, but the color/option combination (red/taupe, WAD, 5-speed, I Package) I want isn't available. In fact, I haven't seen even one with the taupe interior (surprising since I'm in AZ where the dark gray interior would seem less desirable). From the brochure I'm guessing the taupe interior looks a bit odd due to the number gray/silver pieces (grab handles, PI controls, etc.). To me (again, based only on a single photo in the brochure, it looks like a is-built vehicle - taupe seats, carpet, door panels, but gray/silver handles).

For anybody who HAS seen the taupe cloth interior, how does it look?

Thanks!
  • sandthrushsandthrush Member Posts: 6
    We got ours through CARSDIRECT.COM. Paid $21334.00 out the door for:

5-speed
    L-package
    16" 5 spoke aluminum wheels
    Roof Rack
    Spoiler

Also, if you are a AAA member you could get a referral from them for a Toyota dealer. We didn't have to go that route, but I did talk to the salesman I was referred to and he claimed he would sell one to us for $300.00 over invoice. Don't know what kind of "fees" they would of tried to add.
    I thought the taupe interior would look ugly and I originally wanted the gray interior. After finding only one RAV in our area equipped like we wanted, we purchased it. It's a white exterior, taupe interior. I love the taupe now, and I don't mind the color contrasts with the gray trim pieces at all...they look good. I'm glad I got taupe over grey, as I think the gray would've been too bland. The seat fabric is good-looking and of high quality and the seat comfort is outstanding, too.

Lumhy, we purchased our 2001 RAV at Toyota of IA City, IA. They gave us a great deal at $300 over invoice on a 2wd L-package 5-spd.
  • ca_86ca_86 Member Posts: 1
    Pedro, the taupe was my color of choice to go with my rainforest green RAV4. I have a few interior pics at http://content.communities.msn.ca/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Topic=2&ID_Community=DalesRAV4Page
  • jderou2jderou2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase a 2001 Rav4 in the Kansas City area and would like to know if anyone has gotten a particularly good deal, and from which dealer.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    I paid about 1000.00 over for a loaded RAV4L sticker 24500 paid 23200. Think that is about 1000.00 over but if AAA can really get you one for 300.00 over then join as fast as you can. I am in St. Louis area. Know AAA is real strong in Kansas City area.
  • rav4merav4me Member Posts: 1
    I am waiting delivery of my new 2001 RAV4, 8-9 weeks does anyone know whether the rear doors can be opened fully. The one at the dealership opened about a 50 degree angle and the sales person said thats as far as it would go. I've seen a photo of the rear door open to 90 degrees, just wondering if anyone as had such a problem.
  • ggirlggirl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 RAV4 and am taking it back to the dealer for the 3rd time for brakes. Brakes have already been replaced once. Loud grinding and other noises. Anyone else experiencing brake problems.
    Also, gas mileage is pathetic. I have yet to reach over 24 mpg and that one time was hgwy. Usually more like 20 mpg city.
    rav4me, #172: Rear door opens 90 degrees.

ggirl #173: I've got 5500 miles on mine, 4WD auto trans, and I am getting a little better than 25 mpUSg in suburbs/hwy 70/30 driving, regular gas. This has improved about 2 or 3 mpUSg since new. How many miles are on your RAV?
    Also, I've read at rav4world.com that a few other owners have had brake problems.

ejp
  • ggirlggirl Member Posts: 2
    suvshopper4
    Thanks for the info at rav4world. I have 4000 miles. Mileage has not improved. The dealer is ordering new rotors. Hope this fixes the brake problem but don't have much faith.
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    A good friend of mine is looking for a 2001 RAV, either 5spd or auto, probably 4WD with lots of options for $500 over invoice in the coastal Northern California area. Any suggestions of dealerships who have a good inventory and are willing to deal?
    Our new RAV had slightly squeaky brakes during the first few hundred miles, but as the pads (shoes) broke in, we haven't heard any addt'l noise from them. At 2400 miles, things are quiet and I must say they're exceptionally good, strong brakes.
    Our 2001 2wd L-package 5-spd. RAV4 currently has 2500 miles on the odometer and I just did a fuel mileage test. On a 92.2 mile trip, it used 3.692 gallons of gas, giving it an average mileage of 24.973 (let's say 25mpg). The trip was 99% hwy miles. Toyota rated it for 31 mpg on the hwy, so that's a bit less. I averaged a 70mph cruise rate using cruise control on the interstate with relatively flat stretches of concrete.
  • bumper4bumper4 Member Posts: 4
    There are two Toyota dealers in my area and up till now they have not had a manual transmission in stock. I want a Rav4 real bad but refuse to buy until I have driven a manual. Auto trans is okay but a little under powered. Has anyone else had this problem about driving a manual? What did you do? Thanks in advance, Ameise.
  • reticent1reticent1 Member Posts: 70
    Persevere! Yes, sticks are scarce but they are not impossible to find. There's a really good Rav4 "enough power?" and a very detailed gas mileage thread going at Kelly Smith's Rav4world.com site where a lot of folks religiously notate their every tankful, and driving history and experiences. I think that I also read a pretty decent thread right here at Edmunds regarding the owners area of the Ravs and their comparisons of fuel consumption. The one thread that I recall running thru everyone's post at Rav4world was that their stick-shift gas mileage was not as good as they expected. Some seemed very upset by it, and most were just reporting results.
    I honestly think the automatic is peppy as all getout, but to each their own.

Persevere. There ARE 5-speeds built. You mention 2 dealers close to you. If you go to www.toyota.com and do a "dealer locator" and put in your zip code. Request a 100 mile radius, and contact them all via their sites or their phones, and just ask them to reach you when they get a stick in. Improve your ratio of finding a stick by raising your odds of a call!

-Ret
    We test drove an automatic 2001 RAV4, but it was not acceptable to us. We had to wait for about a month for someone to find us a manual, but it was either that or find some other vehicle to buy. It was worth the wait. We also have a '97 Camry with a manual tranny, and are probably lucky to have found it. Both my husband and I prefer manual transmissions, and they are getting harder to find. You might also try the web site BUYATOYOTA.COM, if it is available for whatever part of the country you are in. I am in the southeast. I was able to keep track of all available Rav's in my area, what dealers had in stock and what was coming in. Our local dealer told us they never get manual tranny's in the Southeast. If a dealer really wants to sell you a vehicle, they can find you one.
  • dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    Which is the best (on price and service) Toyota dealer to work with in the Chicagoland area? I am still debating on either getting the RAV4 or a Honda CR-V. What are the pros and cons of each?

How is the service at Chicagoland Toyota dealer and do they give you loaner cars for service?

Thanks!
    Just traded my 2000 CRV for RAV4 like it much better even though CRV is great vehicle. REV is quieter, pusher, better seats, better radio,better performance but not much,---less room to haul things without removing seats.

Personal decision but RAV4 is much different vehicle in 2001 that it was in 2000 and to me much nicer vehicle.
  • gszgsz Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Has anyone out there experienced a "rattle" in the sunroof when in the tilt mode? I'm still not sure where it is coming from... sometimes it looks to me as if the plastic-glass expands/contracts with the heat... other times it appears to me that the arms that raise the glass don't "lock" and thus make noise when I drive over a road bump... Is this normal?
    Cheers, -gsz
  • jahydejahyde Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know if the 2002 will be available in Solar Yellow? Thanks.
  • bob346bob346 Member Posts: 12
    anyone know if you can remove the cross bars on my roof rack? also any one having trouble with brakes makeing growling sound? also sometimes the power door lock refuses to work,anyone else have this problem? anyone know if you can buy an air filter other than at the dealers? have 3600 miles on my Rav L wish it had just a bit more power, but none the same we really like the vehicle. thanks to all. BOB
  • corsicacorsica Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    I live here in Melbourne, FL about 1.5 hrs
    east of Orlando.

I'm in the market for a 2001 Rav4, but have
    some questions for yall.

1. What is the best asking price I can get these
    days for a 4X4 automatic with the quick order
    package + the rack roof and the anti-theft?
    The MSRP is always high. Does Toyota ever
    go below invoice? How do I negotiate a good deal?

2. I'm thinking about getting either a Titanium
    colored exterior or a white exterior. Now, are
    the metallic colors any more durable? I live
    in Florida and my old Corsica is peeling paint
    already on my white car...

3. I'm still torn between 4X4 and 4X2...
    The rain storms can get bad. Should I go for 4X4?
    How does the car behave differently among these
    2 in a bad storm?

4. I am also torn about ABS. Any thoughts here
    from actual RAV4 owners who have used ABS during
    wet weather?

5. Being from central Florida, are there any others of you who would know which dealers here
    have the best promotions and are willing to negotiate pricing the best? IF any of you are reading my post that are Floridians with Rav4, pls
    let me know where you bought yours?

Thanks a bunch!
  • corsicacorsica Member Posts: 8
    Hello Again,
    I'm in the market for a 2001 Rav4 here
    in east central FL.
    I called up the dealers and they say
    that I cannot make a cash purchase on
    a credit card. They only accept $3000 on
    a credit card.

Is it true that if I buy online, I can
    put the total cost of the car on a credit card?

Do you know of any dealers in FL that do this?

Also, I have some more questions in the 2001
    Rav4 thread below...

Thanks again.
    24,500 sticker I paid 23,200 or 1300 off. They sell very fast and ordering takes awhile. I do not have AS and there are many arguments for it but so far it has not been an issue. I think that on slick pavement it might come more into play. I have 4wd but mostly for snow in mid west---but I am sure it helps in the rain. If you can find AS and 4wd I say go for it. Traded 2000 Honda CRV and like RAV4 much better. Mine is automatic and I have no problem with performance. You can take it out of overdrive when you need a little extra zip or downshift into 2 position also at stop sign or merge ramp and it will have all the pickup you need.
    We bought our RAV in April. We went through CARSDIRECT.COM, but we actually purchased the vehicle at Kissimmee Toyota. We traveled all the way from Daytona Beach because our local dealer would not even try to locate us a RAV because we wanted a 5-speed. We were very happy with Kissimmee Toyota and the salesman said he could of saved us $200.00 over the CARSDIRECT price. Needless to say, when we are ready to purchase a replacement for our '97 Camry, we will check there first. The salesman we dealt with was Don Joyce, who I believe is their fleet manager. Good Luck!
  • rav4errav4er Member Posts: 3
    does anybody know if you can add a try supercharger to the 2001 rav4? can you put a lift on a 4X2? and is Toyota going to make the rav4 in solar yellow for 2001? if anyone knows please respond. thanks
  • debbie31debbie31 Member Posts: 4
    We have a '98 Rav with 32k miles. Put 2 60# dogs in the back, 2 little ones up front. When purchased there wasn't much room for negotiations(as I have noticed around the country). 28mpg highway. Although we love it, there have been 2 annoying problems:
    1.Just wouldn't start 3 times in a 16 month period. Battery was chgd. 1st explanation after that was "gas change over from summer to winter can cause this". 2nd explanation was that the car was started and moved a short distance. Computer memory error.
    2. Brakes squeal. Brakes were checked and we were told "this is normal".

Still love, even though...Anyone else have similar problems???
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    All dealers have their own specific rules about credit card purchases for cars. Remember, they pay their card service provider a percentage of all sales made on credit cards. And since dealers work on low margins on new car sales, they don't want to have to give 3-7% of that $25K to the credit card company. Sometimes, that's their entire profit. My dealer allowed me to put $1K of the down payment and the extended warranty amount on 2 seperate cards only and a check for the rest.

Also, my company (non automotive) accepts credit cards and I know our card service provider specifically excludes car purchases on credit cards.
  • phxdudephxdude Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a red Rav4 with the taupe interior the other day. It is located at the toyota dealership on Superstition hwy (60 east) at the Superstition Springs blvd. exit. I think it may be called Mesa Toyota but I am not for sure. It did have a lot of options; sunroof, 4wd, roofrack, etc. Hope this helps!
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    It seems like every RAV4 I see on the road is driven by a woman. I was wondering if the other RAV4 owners here have noticed a gender bias with this vehicle... do more women than men own them? Is the RAV a "woman's SUV"?
    Scottdude:
    I've read that the 1st Generation RAV was purchased by more women than men - something like 58% female, if I remember correctly.
    I've also read speculation that the 2nd Gen design is aimed at attracting more men.
    I think that the 1st Gen has a 'friendly' face, and the 2nd Gen is more agressive looking.
    ejp
    scottdude, I have seen three sets of 2001 rav4 owners and two were women and the other was a man and his wife. If you go to rav4world.com you will notice that about 95% of the 2001 rav4 owners are men. Every old Rav4 I have seen is driven by a man and I think those are girly lookin, but I dont think a woman would want to drive one of those either because it is so ugly. But if you want a Rav4 buy one and enjoy it, by the way a married man that lives in my neighborhood drives a new vw beetle, which is supposidly a "womans car only". I am a male rav4 owner and I dont feel ashamed or embarresed or see anything wrong with driving a RAV4. Lately I have seen three new vw beetles and all were driven by men, so I think that it doesnt matter what you drive as long as you enjoy it. If you are worried about it looking cute or feminine, put some flames on the side or put a lift and some big tires on it or something. That is what I plan to do. I like it the way it is but would like a lift and more power in it. A friend of mine said that you can always add more power so hopefully he knows what he is talking about. I like my Rav4 alot.
  • nmchopnmchop Member Posts: 27
    Hello Rav4'ers. I recently (May 2001) purchased a 2000 Dodge Stratus, I got a great deal on it but just don't love it. I like loving my vehicles. A family member bought a 2001 RAV4 very recently and came to visit...I loved it.

So i've been looking for one. I'm a little upside down in the Stratus, not bad, maybe $1000, so it's imperative I get as good of a deal as possible on the purchase price of the RAV4 if i'm going to get to do this now...The dealer here has two five speeds in stock (that's it), both are 4x4 2001 Rav 4's...One dark green, the other is Titanium. The sticker is $21,700 (fairly loaded, pw/pl, am/fm/cd/cassette, AC, cruise, no moonroof). i'm 37 y.o. male and I have a bad left knee (4 knee surgeries) so an automatic is probably a good idea, but when I tested the five speed, it wasn't a "tough" clutch. I might prefer the five speed for power purposes if the knee holds up.

So what do you think I might be able to get one of these for? The sales person said they could do a dealer trade possibly and get me an automatic and 2WD for about the same price (she thought). There is really no need for 4WD here in New Mexico (southern). But it might help resale down the road. Keep in mind that the $21,700 price is sticker, they haven't come down off sticker and with just two in stock, it might be hard to get them to budge. I don't know.

So I'm trying to talk myself into doing it. I guess though economically it kind of makes sense to wait until i have at least a tiny bit of equity in the stratus (I don't hate it, it's just kind of neutral). I figure you only live once (so get a RAV4 lol). I like the 2001 RAV4 much more then the previous model years so buying used is out, at least until the 2001's come out used eventually.

I could go to Phoenix to buy if deals are better there, El Paso is nearby, Albuquerque isn't far. I guess i'm looking for advice, encouragement and reviews of your RAV4's. I like the way they look, I like how easy they are to get in and out of (i call it butt level). I like the gas mileage on these SUV's as opposed to all other SUV models out there. I like the fact I'll have more room, no headlights in my rear view mirror and can haul some stuff around (i had a pickup prior to buying the stratus in Mid May 2001). So I guess I'm trying to right a minor wrong. Thanks for listening, I enjoyed reading your posts. You seem like a nice group of people who enjoy their vehicles. I wanna join the club, but be smart about it.

Thanks in advance, i'll check back for any responses.
    I think there is a thread here called 'RAV4 Deals', which would be worth checking out.

The best I hear on another site: US$500 over invoice (to find the invoice amount, use edmunds here to price one out with the options you want). Your results may vary, as they say. I paid considerably more in January '01, $1,350 over invoice, $850 under MSRP, but it was winter (in the Northeast US), plus demand for the new RAV design was very strong, and I didn't feel like dinking around - I found the one I wanted on the dealer's lot and drove it home 2 hours later. I feel like I paid a fair price, no muss, no fuss (like waiting for a special factory order, or driving all over creation to check out other dealers). I was especially happy with the AWD when it snowed a week later.

I understand about wanting more than a plain vanilla vehicle - that is why I traded in a perfectly good Accord that I bought used just 6 months before (and took the wholesale price hit). The RAV is a vehicle to be fond of, more than just a transportation appliance.

Good luck.
    ejp
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I'm like you and am thinking about getting a RAV4 since it is the only new car out there that gets me excited when I see it. To me it seems like 99% of the cars I see on the highway are the standard sedan-like boring vehicles, so the RAV4 really stands out. Sort of like a peacock in a sea of lemmings.

For prices go over to the Smart Shopper board here and see the RAV4 deals topic. I would also recommend carsdirect.com. If their price comes up as something you can live with, print it out and take it to your dealer and see if they'll beat it. If they say no, tell them you'll just buy it from CarsDirect. They may still say no, or they may give you the deal. Note: I have not tried this strategy, but someone else mentioned it so I think its worth trying. One key is that the specs on your carsdirect price should match the car the dealer has. I don't think this strategy works if they have to order or swap it.

For availability try the buyatoyota.com site. Don't know how it works in your area but in the east they list the complete Toyota inventory with prices. This should help you locate the exact model you want.
    Does anyone know if the 2 wheel drive 2001 RAV4 is capable of offroading or mudding. I have a 2wd model and I was thinking about going mudding and was just wondering how careful I am gonna have to be to not get stuck or mess up. If you know anything about it, please respond. thanks
  • nmchopnmchop Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your feedback...

SUVshopper4, sounds like you can totally relate to my position since you traded in a 2000 Honda for a RAV4...I'm basically doing the same thing but getting ready to take a hit on a 2000 Stratus. I know waiting makes financial sense but I'd rather be happy now and it seems stupid to me to make any more payments on the stratus when I want a RAV4, my next payment could be the first towards owning the RAV4 down the road. Is your's a five speed? I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the advice.

Scottdude--I'll check out carsdirect.com for sure. Who knows what will work? I got a good deal on a Stratus but not from my dazzling negotiating skills...I knew the owner of the used car lot. I'm really no good at negotiating. So I just try to tell them what i'm willing to pay and see how that goes over!

I've even thought of waiting for a 2001 RAV4 to come up used, but that may take awhile...I've only seen 3 or 4 2001 RAV 4's on the road in my town. Not many people have them.

Happy motoring.
    My RAV is an automatic trans. Also, the Accord I traded in was an older one, 1992, which I bought used in 2000. I thought maybe I could live with a dependable, presentable transportation appliance on which there were no payments due. I was wrong.
    Again, good luck.