Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• dplatnycdplatnyc Member Posts: 17
    As a recent (11/01) RAV buyer, I am feeling some CR-V envy--the inside looks bigger, particularly in the back, the rattle has me down, I miss passing power and the MPGs never go above 25, despite that it's a stick shift. But I note that Consumer Reports preferred the RAV over the CR-V in its most recent issue--driving and handling seemed to do it, as well as the removable rear seats. I do really like the way my car handles.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, the CRV is a little bigger. If that's what you need/want, then I can understand your envy. I'd go for the Highlander if I needed more room, but the Rav is plenty big for me.
    MPG varies - I've gotten as high as 27mpg. It depends on terrain, how you drive (acceleration rates, highway speed (MPH drops the faster you go), and two other important things: winter gas results in lower MPG, and total miles on your car - my Rav did not get that good MPG at first, but it got progressively better until it got about 7,000 miles on it, then it was fine. Last time I measured a 90% highway trip at 70mph, the MPG was 27, which was what was advertised.
    The cowl rattle has a TSB for the fix, and a good dealer will have no problem fixing it. My Rav is perfect.
  • phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    What made you select the RAV over the CR-V in the first place? The 02 CR-V was just coming out. Were you a little early? Anyway, I checked out both and even though I like the RAV styling better, the CR-V offered more for what I need. Maybe when the 04's come out, you can trade out since Toyota's have good resale and the next generation RAV should be out.
  • starmanutstarmanut Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I just bought a 1998 Rav4 yesterday.
    I'd love an '02 but that will have to wait.
    The seat belt light on the dash will not turn off and the blinking is making me nuts.
    Any suggestions on how to get it to stop?
    (just in case..I DO fasten my belt. LOL)
    Thanks!!!
  • suvbuyer4suvbuyer4 Member Posts: 10
    What kind of prices can I expect to pay for a RAV4? We are looking at RAV4s and CRVs. Thanks.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Do you have anything sitting on the passenger seat with enough weight that it could be triggering the seat-belt light?

If not, hooking up the passenger seat belt still might cause the light to go out (and save your sanity) until you can get it fixed.
  • starmanutstarmanut Member Posts: 2
    Tried both of those tricks, still flashing.
    Thanks for the tips! I'll keep trying, then take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it if I can't figure it out soon.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Hi gang, I'm looking at a RAV4 to share the garage with my BMW. Will use it for winter driving, around town hauling, and camping. I'm comparing to a CRV. A couple of questions: 1. Does anyone feel the design is a bit too cute? Or too feminine (not trying to start anything, just looking for opinions). 2. It costs more than the Honda, has less features, smaller engine, etc. - where is the value? Are these selling for a big discount to MSRP? 3. Anything else that makes it better than Honda, other than handling?

Thanks.
    I thought the Gen 1 RAV looked a bit too cute for my taste. I would never have considered shopping for one. I think Toyota intentionally made the Gen 2 more agressive looking so it would appeal to more men. Still, it is how you, the shopper, sees it that matters.

I don't know that the RAV is more expensive than the CR-V. Maybe loaded up it is, but you may not want all the gingerbread (I didn't). And the redesigned CR-Vs are probably still selling for close to MSRP. I expect you can get a RAV for $500 over invoice at a large dealership in a metro area.

I think the RAV is a bit techier (and great in snow) with full-time 50/50 front/rear split all wheel drive. Don't know that I'll ever need that over on-demand AWD, but I like knowing I have it. Plus I like having no throttle cable or plug wires (I don't know about the CR-V in this regard).

As to the larger engine in the (heavier) CR-V, maybe you should rent a broken-in RAV, and see if the 2.0 is enough for you.

I like that there are fewer RAVs on the road than CR-Vs. But if you want more space for camping, hauling, etc, maybe the larger CR-V is a better choice. Still, the RAV is no slouch in that regard, since you can easily remove the rear seats. Plus they recline, which could come in handy for sleeping when the bears are on the prowl.

And if you drive a BMW323is, you know the pleasure of great handling.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Thanks for the response. I am very interested in a small SUV that handles decently. I too am not a person that likes my vehicles 'loaded'. However I would suspect everyone gets the quick order or L package. Add ABS, aluminum wheels and you have over $4,000 in options. The CRV's are selling for sticker around here. You give the dealer $500 and they will let you know when one comes in that you can pick up - no color choice or anything. I haven't even been able to drive one. I hate that kind of arrogance and, at least that dealer, has lost my business. Yesterday I drove a RAV and the dealer suggested some form of rebates were coming from Toyota in the near future. So maybe I'll wait a bit and will be able to get one for sticker, after rebate.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Both very good but being a Honda owner before I
    am prejudiced.With CRV you get flip up rear window,more power,more room.With RAV4 you get removable rear seats,more nimble,and discounted
    prices.If you can live with the RAV4 go for it due to it being cheaper.I wanted what the CRV
    offered and did not have to wait and got it for $600 under sticker. Lucky I guess.
    tomsr: Good post.
    But one question: How much effect does the 'more power' in the heavier CR-V have in real-world driving situations?

By the way, I've seen 0-60 mph times all over the map for both vehicles, anywhere from about 8.5 seconds to 10.2 seconds.

bmw323is: I think your $4,000 additional cost figure is way high. True, you won't find a RAV4 without at least the QO package, but who doesn't want power windows/locks, a/c, cruise, 4-item sound system, etc?
    Plus you can always add exactly the wheels and tires you want later on, at a pretty good mail-order price.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Comparison of power to weight shows the CRV has
    a .2 advantage which is not much.The roomier CRV
    will have to be the clincher for me.If they
    were exactly the same the ordering process for
    Toyota would drive me nuts.There are so many
    options to wade through whereas Honda is very
    simple.You get the EX you get everything.
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Member Posts: 32
    I've been driving several weeks now with the K&N installed. First off-slight increase in power. But here's the payoff. I have had a 10% increase in gas-mileage. Plus, I don't have to change or even look at my air filter for a long, long time. Rudy
  • pamm2pamm2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 RAV4 engine light also turned on, on a road trip, I still had 75 miles until home... went home, called the dealer..took it in for service and they stated that it was probably due to "gas cap not being screwed on tightly", well then it did it again about 2 weeks later, I took it in again and they replaced some computer component... the car had to stay in the shop for a couple of days...seems to be fixed now, other than that I love my RAV!!
    Anyone else have this problem??
    Pam
    This is a common problem that my dealer fixed in 15 minutes. While I was having the cowl rattle fixed and tires rotated, my dealer told me about the check engine light fix. It just involves reprogramming the ECU (computer) because it was too sensitive. There's even a Technical Service Bulletin out for the problem. My Rav's light never came on, but the dealer told me they reprogrammed the ECU anyway to save me a trip to the dealer.
    Did the cowl rattle fix work?

I haven't needed it (now at 24,000 miles) but it's still good to know if the fix is effective.
  • wischuckwischuck Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard of a possible 6 cyclinder engine in the 2003 model?
    Yes, the cowl rattle fix worked. My dealer (a very good one) installed a new cowl along with the extra insulation. It's been perfectly quiet ever since. Same with the noisy brakes - dealer did the TSB, and they are perfect ever since. I am very happy with the Rav now. It was a little unusual (for a Toyota) to have these few minor noises, but they did not affect the safety or the ability to get from point A to B. I have had no other problems, and I'm very happy.
    The consensus seems to be no 6-cylinder in a RAV anytime soon.

Maybe, ~maybe~ in the next generation re-do. But I doubt it. That's what Toyota has the Highlander for. I think they'll keep the RAV light and well-balanced, with very good mpg figures.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Does anyone know a good site to order a spare wheel cover for a 97 RAV?
    Try Toyotaguys.com for a wheel cover.
  • maxwellamaxwella Member Posts: 17
    I saw a billboard the other day for an all-electric rav 4. anyone have any details? i did an edmunds search and couldn't find anything.

i was thinking about a hybrid CRV, but don't mind branching out.

thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2002 Toyota RAV4-EV

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I read about a new Toyota SUV/crossover in Europe, called the UUV that is about the size of the CR-V. The article (in an European auto mag)said that the UUV would be better able to compete with the CR-V.

It's clear that the RAV4 while the most sylish, is just small and overpriced for the US market,compared to its competitors; sales also appear to be shrinking. I'm speculating that the RAV may get discontinued in the near future (just like the slow selling ECHO) in favor of the UUV. The UUV, I think was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show.
    RAV4 sales aren't as strong as when the 2nd generation model was introduced, which is not unusual. And the re-done CR-V has probably taken away some sales, but I don't know that Toyota sees the current sales level as sub-par.
    Who knows what they projected / expected? The RAV might still be very profitable for Toyota.

And if they want to market another SUV in North America, they're going to have to call it something other than UUV!
  • charlincharlin Member Posts: 7
    I'm trying to find a 96 or 97 high mileage RAV for my daughter, and could anyone tell me if all 2 door models have some type of removable sunroof panels? I'm having difficulty finding detailed information on those models.
    Thanks
  • nancy13nancy13 Member Posts: 9
    I'm a new RAV owner and I was thinking about adding a stainless steel exhaust tip. Have any of you done this? Could you tell me where you purchased it, the manufacturer/model, and any installation tips.
    Thanks!
  • nkscarsnkscars Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 2DR RAV4. It does indeed have 2 removable sun roofs. The front one also tilts up, but neither of them slide open. I'm getting ready to sell mine, actually, in the fall. It's got about 62,000 miles on it and I haven't had many problems with it--mostly maintenance-type repairs. If you live in the central Texas area and are interested, post here again.
  • rudy2000rudy2000 Member Posts: 32
    Fellow Ravers, quick question. My 2000 Rav (only 14k miles) stalled out after morning start-up. It took several starting attempts and several stalls later to finally stay running. Two days later, it almost stalled out again when making the return commute. I've had a few much higher mileage cars do the same thing, and they were diagnosed with clogged catalytic converters. Do any of you have any ideas? Rudy
  • dougsilverdougsilver Member Posts: 62
    Anyone recently bought a Rav4 in the SoCal area? Any good dealers/prices (asking for my sister-in-law). Thanks.
  • sevenseas7sevenseas7 Member Posts: 1
    rudy2000, this article taken from LA Times may address your problem...

Q: I have twice had the idle air control assembly replaced under warranty on my 1999 Toyota RAV4, which has about 30,000 miles on it.
    Dealership representatives have informed me on both visits that it's a known problem that carbon builds up on the part, causing it to malfunction.
    My warranty expires in June and I am concerned that the part will fail again, costing me $300 each time. Based on my experience, the part will need to be replaced every 15,000 miles. What can you suggest?
    K.C.
    A: Toyota has not issued any technical service bulletins on that problem, so it is not a well-recognized issue by the company itself. Nonetheless, mechanics already may have figured out that the part has a higher-than-normal failure rate, and that is what they passed on to you.
    The idle air control assembly is attached to the engine's throttle body, which is the main element of the fuel injection system. The device has a solenoid-operated valve that regulates the amount of air going through the throttle body, thereby controlling the engine's idle speed, according to Alldata, a major publisher of automotive repair and diagnostic information.
    The part, an item typically sold only by dealers, has a list price of $198.54 and should take about 11/2 hours of labor to replace, according to the Alldata rate book. At a standard $60-an-hour rate, that would add up to $90 for labor. So, the $300 price tag you mention is right on the mark of what you are looking at if the part goes bad again.
    Eventually, aftermarket manufacturers will see a big business in making the part, if indeed RAV4s are dying all over the place because of a defect. That should bring the price down on the part. But that doesn't help in the near term.
    It is not unusual for fuel injection throttle bodies or various parts associated with the throttle body to become contaminated with carbon buildup. In general, there are procedures for cleaning the carbon without having to replace the parts, and this may be possible for the part that has caused you problems.
    Your letter suggests Toyota customer service has not responded to repeated efforts by you to get some clarification about the future warranty coverage on the part. But you should keep trying. Toyota recently extended the warranty for sludge damage on its engines after customers raised a stink about what they considered a defect.
    In general, dealerships will cover certain parts after warranty if you have established that the car was being repaired for a known condition during the warranty period. This may help for the next replacement, though at some point you are clearly going to be on your own.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Sounds like a bad gas or clogged fuel line. The RAV is not affected by the sludge problem.
  • ckirk4ckirk4 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone heard of possible chnages for 2003? For example, side air-bags or a rear intrusion bar (rear bumper)?
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    This is partly a response to dougsilver's question about RAV4 prices in So Cal, partly a complaint about Toyota's marketing of the vehicle, and partly a couple of questions about RAV4 equipment.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been looking for a 2wd, manual trans RAV4 with ABS in the So Cal area. In doing so, I've been frustrated by Toyota's marketing strategy, but learned a few things in the process.

Prices: In So Cal, you can buy a RAV4 close to or under invoice IF you take one from the dealer lot. If you want to order one from Japan, you can still get it (in four months) for $500 over invoice. The best way to start is to go to Costco.com (if you're a member), CarsDirect.com, or Carpoint.com and contact one of their recommended dealers. This way, I got good no-hassle prices from Toyota Central and Longo Toyota and a great price -- $300 under invoice -- from Penske Toyota (Sean Charbonnet).

However, I have not yet bought a vehicle. Why? Because Toyota markets RAV4s so that it can offer a very low base price (on non-existent cars that you wouldn't want anyway) and then supplies a multitude of options that seemingly allow buyers to tailor cars to their specs. In fact, only a limited number of combinations are actually imported. For example, at least in So Cal, it appears that to get the moonroof, you must buy the L package, and if you want the L package, you're going to get a spoiler and roof rack. My personal gripe is that I want a manual tranny with ABS, which appears to not exist here. (I am surprised at how few RAV4s there are in So Cal with ABS in any configuration.)

My questions:
    1. Is the situation different in No Cal; in particular, can I get a 2wd drive manual RAV4 there with ABS?
    2. Can a RAV4 that comes without Keyless Entry be equipped, post-production, with an alarm system that includes keyless entry?

Thanks for indulging me.
  • macadam1macadam1 Member Posts: 22
    I purchased an '02 RAV4 for my wife that did not have keyless entry but had it installed by the dealer with full warrenty.
  • cat_and_bearcat_and_bear Member Posts: 67
    A friend of mine is a fleet manager in the biggest dealer here in Bay Area. No ABS cars anywhere at all. If you want one, it has to be specially ordered from Japan. It also has to come with everything... L package, leather...etc. He quoted me $200 over invoice. This would make it a ~$25,000 car! We did not look for a 2WD car so probably your situation will be a little better but I am not sure if Toyota has ever made ABS to the 2WD cars.

-bear
  • sriley6544sriley6544 Member Posts: 12
    I have not begun my vehicle search in earnest yet - I'm most interested in this point at the RAV4 and CRV.

I'm located in NC and can find several RAV4's on the lot but have been to 3 different Honda dealerships and cannot find a CRV to even look at.

This leads me to believe that purchase price on the RAV4 can be had at much closer to invoice than the CRV - what have those of you that have recently purchased RAV4's been paying in relation to invoice?

In looking at the CRV Town Hall site, prices paid seem to be very close to MSRP and in some cases even above.

Also, I've been looking for a site that lists total car sales - I'm interested in knowing what CRV sales are compared to RAV4 for the 2002 model.

Thanks for sharing and your patience.
    You can find sales figures for the previous month at autosite.com.

http://autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsu.asp

Autosite reports that in April 2002, the CR-V outsold the RAV4 in the U.S., 12,341 to 6,764.

The CR-V has always outsold the RAV as long as I've been paying attention. My opinion is that its larger size makes it more appealing to the average shopper. Plus RAVs tends to be pricier sticker-wise, due to Toyota forcing you to take a lot of options when you only might want a couple.

I think you are correct, that currently the RAV can be had for much closer to invoice than the CR-V, which is still in great demand since its re-design.

Happy shopping.

• jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a second vehicle. I liked the smaller SUV's (ie: CRV, RAV4), however, I have to watch the dollars. I have found that the RAV4's that are a few years old (ie: '97 and'98) are pretty well priced. Any comments on these years? Is there a certain year I should try to stay away from? Thanks.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    This is my biggest gripe with Toyota, their absurd options game. These options create the perception that one can get the vehicle exactly the way one wants. In reality, I think its whatever Toyota wants to ship to the dealer to maximize their profits, because they feel it's a sellers market for the Toyota brand.

I've heard that Toyota has some people at their Executive Offices in Torrance, who may be able to help you locate or special order what you want. Try calling the office of the Toyota VP of Sales. They'll put you in touch with the right people. Good luck!
    I don't know any specifics of the early (first-generation) RAVs. You might want to check Consumer Reports (anti-CR types, please hold your fire) for the repair frequency.

I do know from another site that there are a lot of 1996-2000 RAV owners who are, shall we say, very fond of their vehicles.

Good luck.
    I'm new to this board, so maybe I've missed something, but how could a Toyota fan be anti-Consumer Reports? CR says that the RAV4 is the best small SUV they've tested and they generally love Toyotas. In fact, it's due to their "frequency of repair" listings that I keep telling people that Toyota makes the world's most reliable cars (even though they have one of the world's worst marketing strategies).
  • raven18raven18 Member Posts: 33
    jt, I leased a '97 rav 4 and it was a fairly reliable vehicle. Mine was an all-wheel drive 4 cylinder with auto trans, it was top of the line at that time (they didn't have the L pkg. at that time) but power windows, moonroof, ect. Anyway, it wasn't a bad vehicle, the only problems I had with it were that it struggled a bit on inclines, and the front disc brakes wore thin in a short period of time (26,000 mi.) after having a brake job performed on it, including roters being turned (this service was at a toyota dealership) the roters became warped and the brakes were in worst shape than before the brake job. So, I take it that if you have to replace the pads, you may as well count on paying for roters too. I'm not sure if the roters I had on mine were of poor quality, if the tech that turned the roters down didn't know what he was doing, or it was the way in which I brake. I have owned several cars and haven't really every had as much problem with brakes. I currently lease a new beetle with 37k on it, and I still have more than half of the pads left, of coarse this is a 4 wheel disc car, and vw, so take this info for what it worth, hope it helps. Check consumers report, I believe it is fairly an acurate source for info on used vehicles. Good luck.
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    About 20% of the RAV4 I'm seeing on lots in NYS have ABS. Only a few of these had leather, but most with ABS are pretty loaded with sunroof and other amenities.
  • rsbalkrsbalk Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a cap that plugs in the socket of the lighter that I want to remove. I do not like the look of that. Any idea you may have for me would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    mathtype: On other threads here at edmunds, there is some CR bashing: that they are biased, that they are not properly scientific, etc. The price CR pays for success, I guess.

I don't know of any other such source for owner's repair data, so I put a lot of stock in CR too.

My comment was an attempt to deflect any potential 'incomings'.

jtjackson: raven18 makes a good point about early RAV power, especially on inclines. I think the 96-00 RAVs were only rated 127hp. Which may be enough for your needs.
    Has anyone ordered a RAV4 or other Toyota directly from the factory? If so,did you get the vehicle you wanted and how long did it take?

I am considering this option. My dealer says that it will take four to five months (!) and that I won't know whether or not Toyota has accepted the purchase order for a month or two. On the up side, it need not be a loaded car; I can choose exactly the options I want (as long as they don't conflict with the restrictions already in place such as "L package requires alloy wheels," etc.).
    mathtype: I know of a few people who have special-ordered a RAV4. Seems the typical wait was around 90 days (some 120 or more). This was about a year ago. Haven't heard any special-order stories lately.

And some orders were 'lost', but the shopper did not find that out for many weeks. That would be a drag. But if you have a reputable dealer, who is truly interested in submitting your order just the way you want it, it could work out well.

I don't know if you are near any high-volume dealers in a major city, but you might find a RAV equipped close enough to how you want it on the lot at a place like that.

I think AWD and ABS can be harder to find in the warm-weather states.
  • sriley6544sriley6544 Member Posts: 12
    Mathtype:

I talked to a dealer today about special ordering a RAV4. He indicated wait may be anywhere from 3 to 5 months.

I'm located in NC and I'm looking for a RAV4 with Quick Order Package, ABS, Moonroof, 5 speed manual transmission, alloy wheels, keyless entry, and anti-theft deterrent. They did a search and could not find any cars with those specs and so I am considering ordering one (the ABS is the most difficult feature to locate in a RAV4).

Sales rep mentioned that pricing would be nowhere close to invoice due to the special order - we are going to "negotiate" further tomorrow and depending what we can work out, I'll decide between the RAV4 and the Honda CRV EX w/5 speed transmission.