Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    This is what they said:

"Applicable to 2001 through current RAV4 models, except 'L' package vehicles."

They didn't say it wouldn't fit. I think they meant that these covers are for non-L RAV4s (in an aesthetic kind of way), but they just phrased it in an ambiguous way.
  • jpgiegeljpgiegel Member Posts: 2
    My wife has been waiting for over 3 months for her custom ordered RAV4 (L package but no sunroof - very hard to find, as well as a few other goodies - ABS, 4WD, dark green, etc.). Well, today we got a call telling us that our order came into the states but the rep failed to notify our dealer (almost a month ago). Another dealer grabbed the car and already sold it.

Any recommendations on what we should demand (OK, beg, plead) from the dealer? We really want the car the way we ordered it and don't want to settle for what the dealer can find in the network - especially if it has a sunroof. She really likes the matching colors on the L package and we need to have the ABS and AWD here in the Inland Northwest. Dealer said a re-order would take until late September at the earliest. Her 15 year old Civic has been a gem, but she really deserves that new car!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • apatiaapatia Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know what's in store for the 2003 Rav4? I don't expect major changes, but hopefully Toyota will do something since the CR-V has been kicking major Rav4 booty.

jpgiegel...

That's awful!! And utterly inexcusable. It that'd happened to me I would expect a decent discount - for re-ordering the custom order or getting a different vehicle from the dealer network. If not, I take my money elsewhere. In any case, I would definately register a complaint with corporate.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't think you'll see much change in the '03 RAV4.

Toyota does not see the RAV4 and the CR-V as head-to-head competitors, in my opinion. To compete directly, they'd have to upsize the RAV, and they decided not to when they designed the second generation, which stayed smaller than the first gen CR-V.

I think one important purpose in offering the RAV is to hook enty-level SUV buyers in order to make a Toyota customer-for-life. If shoppers want more interior room, Toyota offers the Highlander. And if they want a lot more room, and have a lot more to spend later on, there is the Sequoia. It is long-term thinking, something Toyota is good at.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    jpgiegel !

Joe, don't beg or plead with the dealer. In fact you should contact Toyota directly and demand your order to be fulfilled right away as you may have overlooked much better deals waiting and counting on your dealer to deliver. If there is /was a problem between dealer and regional distributor, that remains to be internal Toyota issue. You, as an outsider should not be penalized in fact the dealer should be held responsible. It was an agreement between your party and the dealer to deliver. They have failed !

I would demand for Toyota Inc. to deliver the vehicle I want to my door at the price that was originally agreed upon with the dealer. In case you get no satisfaction do tell them there is plenty of non-Toyota choices you may turn to and make your problems with Toyota known over the internet.

Toyota contacts:

Phone:

800-331-4331

800-443-4999 for TDD

6:00 AM - 6:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday - Friday

Address:

19001 S. Western Ave.

Dept. H200

Torrance, CA 90509-2991

Email:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?

Realistically, what leverage does anyone have to 'demand' that Toyota deliver the car they want to their door?

In a case like this, my guess is that Toyota corporate would probably say something like: the agreement was between the shopper and the dealership, which is not owned by Toyota. We are very sorry.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Realistically, what leverage does anyone have to 'demand' that Toyota deliver the car they want to their door?

You have the ultimate leverage. You can choose not to make the purchase.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    If that were me, I'd write a very angry letter to Toyota's customer service. What they should do is a get a case manager to resolve the problem with the dealer. And if they fail to deliver on that, which is usually the first step, than Toyota's customer service is really in the pits. It's their loss. They're losing a customer who would pay more than I would ever agree to on a RAV4.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    when magazines compare all the mini-utes, RAV always gets left out, and I think that is because it is smaller than the others like CRV and Escape, and I think that is also why Toyota does not see them as direct competitors.

But I do wish they would do a mid-model upgrade and put the new Camry engine in it - a slight power boost would be most welcome. And think of the benefits to them! No separate 4-cylinder to build only for the RAV! Streamlined savings.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I wonder how much weight it will add to the RAV if the Camry's 2.4 is placed in it? The CR-V, whose 2.4 offers similar power, uses it well because it's a heavier car. I don't know about the RAV4, though I think it would make the car nose-heavier and slightly decrease the MPG ratings.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Why does the RAV4 consume so much gas when it's so small and has a 4-cylinder engine? According to the statistics, it uses as much, if not more, gas than my V6 Solara.
    I don't know what a V6 Solara gets in mpg.

My AWD, auto trans '01 RAV is rated 23-27. I've lately gotten over 27 consistently on a long trip, and my daily driving (non-city) averages over 25 (except on winter gas).

Aerodynamics have to hurt the RAV v. the slicker Solara. AWD detracts, too.
    I don't consider that leverage.
    Corporate has no desire to jump thru hoops to make one additional sale.

In that situation, I would write them and copy the dealership with my complaint, though. It would make me feel a little better, maybe go on record against that sales rep, and possibly Corporate would do something to ease my pain. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    already has a 2.0-liter engine - I can't imagine the 2.4 would increase the weight of the vehicle by much, and I am pretty sure it would still be less than the CRV by a few hundred pounds. I think it cries out for this change, and like I said, it would be a streamlining advantage for Toyota. This is one car that could really benefit from a little extra horsepower on highway grades.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I think there's about 375 lbs of difference now between the CR-V and the lighter RAV4.
    I don't know how much a .4L engine size increase would add.
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    I have an '02 L pkg RAV4 with the wheel/tire upgrade and wonder about the wide mudguards. Do they detract from ground clearance? Are they worth it?
  • jx4jx4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody, this is my first posting. I am considering purchase of 2002 RAV4 AWD. Does anyone have experience using a hitch and carrying 4 bikes on the rear? Toyota says the hitch can handle up to 150 lbs tongue weight. How does the RAV handle with 4 bikes hanging out the rear?

Also, does the car have enough power with 4 passengers and luggage (maybe 300lbs) on mountain roads? Thanks for your help!
  • nancy13nancy13 Member Posts: 9
    My message is mostly meant for those of you who have a moonroof in your RAV.

I want to start by saying that I love my 2002 RAV in many ways, but I’m so disappointed right now I’m not sure what to do.

I have had a few problems with my RAV since I bought it new this past April, first was the windshield rattle and then a leaking moonroof. I’ve taken it back to the dealer I bought it from a total of 6 times since I purchased it. It took them 3 tries to “fix” the windshield rattle by performing the TSB which I printed out from this website. I preface this with the concern that the windshield rattle is not totally fixed because I can still hear it when the weather cold or cool.

My second and biggest problem has been a leaking moonroof. After reading a message someone posted here about their moonroof leaking, I decided to check mine while driving home from work in a downpour. Unfortunately my moonroof had water droplets hanging from the back edge. The first time I took my RAV into the dealer with this problem they said they found a screw that had been stripped and that meant that the roof wasn’t staying up as it should. They “fixed” the screw and and adjusted the height. Well needless to say the next time it rained I still had the same amount of water coming in. What I’ve been doing since first noticing this problem is to tuck a few paper towels up along the back edge whenever the weather forecast is calling for rain (I do this mostly because I don’t want water leaking onto the headliner or even down into the vehicle.).

I took my vehicle into the dealer the second time and explained what happened. They said “it’s not unusual to have water coming in, that’s why there are drain holes in the front of the opening in the roof.” Well I certainly never heard that this a usual occurrence. In fact I’ve had two previous vehicles that had a sunroof or moonroof and I never noticed water leaking in those.

Anyhow, they checked it out and said that they made a slight adjustment and they had their water nozzles running on it for 3 hours and it did not leak. The next time it rained...here I go again...water was leaking in just as it had the very first time. The paper towels I had tucked along the back edge were wet enough that I could ring them out. I high tailed it directly to the dealer from work the moment I knew that my problem was continuing. I had one of the service people at the front desk come right out to my vehicle to see what I was seeing. He still tried to convince me that it was not unusual to have this happen. At his suggestion he checked to see if they had any new RAVs on the lot with a moonroof and he would check it to see if it was leaking since it had been through the same rainstorm that mine had. We BOTH went to check the new RAV on the lot and it was bone dry! He said he would talk to their Toyota service representative to see what he suggested they do. After a few days I called to see what he had found out...he said that the rep didn’t think it was unusual either and that they didn’t have any record of this being a problem with other RAVs. He suggested that they replace the seal or gasket around the edge of the roof...my dealer ordered the part.

I took my RAV in a couple of days ago to have the new seal installed and found out that they were actually going to be replacing the entire panel. The seal apparently isn’t something that can be ordered separately. I thought this was a better approach any how. I washed my vehicle the next day and guess what...it is STILL leaking!

I just don’t know where I should go next, that’s why I decided to put my story here and ask for your help. If you have a moonroof, the next time you wash your RAV or it rains could you check your moonroof to see if it has ANY water whatsoever coming in around the back edge and corners. I need to determine if this just a trait of this vehicle or if I should pursue my state’s Lemon Law or what. I haven’t contacted the dealer again about this yet...I need to think about my next move and would really appreciate your help. You can post your thoughts here or send them directly to my email address.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story (sorry it was so long).
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Contact your regional toyota office. If you can't resolve the problem with them then use the lemmon law.
  • chas215chas215 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2001 RAV4 with moonroof and, while it is giving me other problems (constant crackling sound when window flexes), it does not leak. There is definitely something wrong with yours. Don't let anyone tell you that some water seepage is a normal condition. Ask the Toyota service manager and/or factory rep if he/she would accept that answer if it were their vehicle. Depending on the state in which you live, I agree, use the lemon law and write letters to top management at Toyota about your dissatisfaction. Good luck.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Try a different Toyota dealer. The "windshield" rattle is actually the cowl in front of the windshield. Your dealer should have fixed that one the first time - it's an easy fix. If it took your dealer 3x to fix this (and obviously not 100% fixed yet), you definitely need to try a different dealer. I am sure a good service dept. at a different dealer would have solved these 2 problems by now.
    Early on, it seemed like the cowl rattle TSB / fix was hit-or-miss with a lot of folks.
    I don't know if they've improved the fix since then.

RAV on.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Canc,

Your V6 gets the same mileage as the 4 cyl RAV4 because the Solara is more stremaline and has a lower drag coeffiicent.

Aerodynamics is one of the most important factors for mileage. Stick your hand out of the car window at 60 mph and you will see what I mean. :)
  • kangsstakangssta Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Just bought a 2002 "titanium" color Rav 4L. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase a better warranty or not. Are there any engine problems or such with these Rav4's? Also, where can I purchase running boards for the sides of the SUV? Thanks!
  • jpgiegeljpgiegel Member Posts: 2
    For anyone interested, here's the update on what happened with the dealer who cancelled my custom order for a RAV4. Obviously, there were no cars in the dealer network that met our requirements (green RAV4 "L" w/o sunroof) so we had to reorder. The dealer knocked off another $300 (we're now at about $100 over invoice for a 2002) and the car will be a 2003. Delivery is slated for mid to late September.

Our major sticking point was that there was a $500 rebate on at the time we should have taken delivery. We fought to get that but got nowhere, all the way up to the owner of the dealership. Personally, I think they would have preferred that we walk away from the deal. The market in Spokane is less competitive than other larger cities. If my wife didn't want this car so bad...
    jpgiegel- I'm just curious - did you settle it with Toyota's customer service's assistance or just with the actual dealer?

I really can't imagine Toyota being so callous and unprofessional about such a situation. $300 is a slap in the face for what you had to endure.
  • ycnycycnyc Member Posts: 7
    I am very interested in a 2002 Rav automatic w/quick order package. I was wondering if anyone had recently purchased one in the NYC area and gotten a really good deal. With the "clearance" going on with toyota and 2003's around the corner, how much should I be expecting to pay?
  • harrierguyharrierguy Member Posts: 7
    My wife's rav4 has a trailer hitch with a two bike carrier - I was told by the salesguy that two is the limit, shouldn't go for four. No probs at all with two. I also have a roof bike carrier for total carrying capacity of 3.

The rav has good pickup for daily driving (my wife has an auto), but I think mountain driving taxes the rav's engine quite a bit. We drove around the Canadian Rockies last summer with 2ppl and a lot of luggage - forget about passing anyone going uphill!
    I was driving down the Garden State Parkway, and was quite impress about the RAV4's pickup. It doesn't scoot to 60 in sub-8 seconds, but getting to 40 or 50 was no sweat. It has a little over 1,000 miles on it so far.
    And I predict it will get better as the engine gets fully broken-in.
    Enjoy.

Yeah, I was curious about acceleration (or even maintaining speed) on serious inclines.
    I guess the Canadian Rockies qualify as serious inclines, no?
  • harrierguyharrierguy Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, there are some big climbs up there. The Rav tended to "hunt" gears a lot on the steeper hills. Again, we have an auto, but I think with a manual, you may get better results.

The mountain driving (I also drove around the Cascades in western Washington) is the only times I really wished the Rav had more power. Here in the relatively flat east coast, the Rav provided smooth quiet rides.

kangssta - no probs here - we have a 2001 with over 28K miles, and I have to say the engine is flawless - gets smoother as you pile on the miles.
    suvshopper - Oh it's so fun to drive. Although I just realized that as a driver I don't have a grab handle while everyone else does. I have no troubles getting in the car, but ya know, some days you're just lazy...
  • effykayeeffykaye Member Posts: 6
    Have been looking for a Honda CR-V for the past year. Kept holding onto my CRX to see how long I could avoid purchasing another car, and finally broke down (me, not the car). Went to the Honda dealership and started negotiating for a 2001 with 13K miles in my favorite green. They wouldn't come down and during the dance I checked out a '98 Rav 4 with 36K and took it for a ride. It had been a lease and was at the Honda lot. I had previously test driven both the old and new CR-V's. After driving the Rav 4, I was smitten. The drive and pep was substantially different. Went back in and (please tell me I didn't get screwed) paid $15,700 total, which included a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper extended warranty. It has cruise control and is an automatic. Thank for any reassurance! Oh, I live in Los Angeles, so no winter damage or the like.
    Glad to hear that you found the first generation RAV to have enough power for you.

And since you're familiar with them all, I'd be curious to hear more details on the difference in power with the CR-V, both first and second generations, v. the RAV.

Good luck with your new ride.
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know when the 2003 RAV4 is due to hit the showrooms?
    I don't know, but would it really matter? I only read that Toyota doesn't plan to raise the price, but no news on any changes for 03.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    that I could see was the addition of a "Sports Package," which has a tubular roofrack, a more aggressive grille, and some other stuff.

Oh yeah, it also has an "S" ("RAV4 S") badge to differentiate the model from the base RAV4 and RAV4 L.
    Well, suvshopper, as I mentioned, I had been ogling the CRV for the last year now. I finally test drove it, and I felt like I was in a big cold capsule. It didn't have any character. The newer version even had less. It felt like a minivan, and has lost the charm of the first generation. I have been used to my little Honda CRX, and my gut just wasn't really into the CRV, but I so wanted it to be. After trying the '98 RAV4, that feeling was there. I don't need the "roomier" feel of the CRV.

I do have a question for the RAV4 owner's. I have noticed that when I brake, there is a strange sound, like a whirring noise that fades as the car comes to a stop. I saw on another discussion board that perhaps there was a brake sound issue that could easily be fixed. Can anyone help me on this?
    Does the car have ABS? I notice that when I go from 60-0, I can hear the ABS pumping (whirring sound), but in slower traffic, the sound is almost inaudible.
    diploid, i don't have abs...
    Well, I just checked out Toyota's site and they have the '03 info up. They have dug themselves deeper into the scenario of offering different options to different markets. I am glad I got an '02 a couple months ago.

They are offering a new Sport model with an S badge, like the L package.

Sport Package -- includes unique sport seat fabric, sport grille, hood scoop, tubular-style roof rack with polished stainless steel finish, gray painted fender flares, aerodynamic multi-reflector halogen headlamps with blackout trim, RAV4 S badging, defroster-linked CFC-free air conditioning, cruise control, power windows and door locks, color-keyed door handles and power heated outside mirrors, carpeted floor and cargo mats, and Deluxe 3-in-1 AM/FM ETR/Cassette/CD with 6 speakers.

I did the build your own feature with a Southern California zip code and found that with an '03 4x4 model, the L package is not offered, only a couple Quick Order combos and the Sport Package. They gave a choice of popular combination offerings. They made it sound like to me they are not offering the L pkg on the 4x4 to the So Cal market. In my opinion, their optioning and combo offerings are going too far and getting too specific.

What are your thoughts?
    caseycw: IMHO, the worst thing about buying a RAV4 is the way Toyota offers an infinitude of options and then groups them in "popular option packages." It enables the company to advertise a deceptively low base price but, judging from this baord, it has also cost them a customer or two.

As I'm sure you noticed, there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the L package and the Sport package other than the "sportier" cosmetics. (Oddly enough, fog lights and privacy glass do nt appear in the Sport package.) I guess Toyota is offering the L package with the 2wd and Sport package with the 4wd to further distinguish these products. Another item of note for SoCal: If you want a manual trans, you've got to order the 2wd model; the 4wd comes only with auto.

It seems to me, after reading the RAV4 e-brochure, that there is absolutely no difference between the 02 and 03 RAV4s (except for the availability of the Sprot package). Did I miss something?
    I completely agree with you mathtype. I hope my original message doesn't come across any different.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing new for the '03s other than the Sport Package which basically is just some visual differentiations. I am glad I went ahead and bought an '02 as I wanted 4wd with the L pkg. As we have both noticed, for SoCal, that is not available together and I am not interested in the Sport's hood scoop and side tubes, etc.

I do love my new RAV4, even with the limited power (42hp less than my previous car), discussed infinitely before. I guess I technically don't need more power, but it would be nice of course, especially living in a big mountainous region as I do. Turning of the overdrive does come in handy though.

Any other thoughts/questions/concerns? Anyone?
  • cindy50cindy50 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my RAV4 for about 6 weeks now. Very disturbed about the transmission. My boyfriend was driving and when I leaned over to get something on the floor, I hit the shifter (automatic) with my shoulder. The vehicle shifted into neutral while we were driving down the road. According to the owners manual this is normal - there is no lock for drive to neutral. Can anyone tell me why? I see it as a safety hazard. Also, when do you use overdrive? I do mostly city driving at 45 mph and in bumper to bumper. Thanks for any input
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    She can't be 50.
  • rav4d2rav4d2 Member Posts: 3
    anybody knows the differences between RAV4L and RAV4J?
    There is no RAV4J available in the US.
    Could it be a model available only in Japan or Asia?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    All references to it that I find on Google are in Japanese - probably a good indicator it's not available in the U.S.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did we mention that TMV pricing is available for the '03 RAV4?

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

My daughter is taking delivery of a 2002 RAV4 next week, and is wondering if it's advisable to drive it on a 400 mile trip (almost all freeway) that she needs to take soon thereafter. Is there anything in the manual on break-in requirements? Does anyone have advice on this?

Thanks.