Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• MHMillerMHMiller Member Posts: 1
    Just picked ours up this week. According to the manual during the breakin period (first 1000 miles) you should:
    1. not drive over 55 mph
    2. avoid full throttle starts
    3. avoid hard stops during first 200 miles
    4. not drive slowly with manual trans in high gear
    5. not drive for a long time at any single speed, fast or slow
    6. not tow a trailer during first 500 miles.

I would think a 400 mile trip, alternately speed once in awhile, would be a fine way to break it in. I have taken similar trips with other brand new Toyota's and they all ran great for years!
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    Please explain what is wrong with Toyota offering an "infitudine amount of options" and why would they lose customers? I'm waiting on the 2003 4-runner, but the RAV4 is more economical, but I am only interested in the sport package with a few additional options. How is the RAV4 4WD system?
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    sorry... I miss quoted mathtype. The quote was "infinitude of options"
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    There's nothing wrong with more options. But they're exactly that - options. I looked at a 4wd auto RAV4 on Edmunds, and the base price was roughly 19K. Checked the standard features list and thought Edmunds had made a mistake (they didn't). Drove out to my dealer and found out that things such as A/C, a CD stereo, and remote keyless entry were optional - and they were the only options that I wanted. I can understand paying more for ABS - but air conditioning not being standard on a 19K vehicle, gimme a break. In order to get the options I wanted, I had to pay for other options that were jumbled in with the whole package. As if I'll ever need mud guards.

If it weren't for the low interest rates that were being offered at the time, and the rather good deal I got for the car, I would've headed back to the Honda dealer and signed the waiting list for a CR-V and pay MSRP (which wasn't much more, despite not being able to haggle).
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Nothing wrong if one can get the desired options. The reality is Toyota is going to build whatever combination of options suits their target profit margins a particular month, and that's what you get. Of course, it doesn't matter if you don't mind paying $$$ extra for a bunch of things you really don't need. But most people do mind, and it's a big hassle to find a vehicle with the right options/colors.

That's just one reason why younger buyers stay away from Toyota, because they don't have the extra $$$ to pay for unnecessary stuff. Not to mention the fact that you can quickly find the right Honda (LX,EX etc) without the options nonsense.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    The RAV's full-time, 50/50 front/rear split all-wheel-drive system is, by all reviewer's accounts and my experience, flawless. Excellent in bad weather. There is no better system in a mini-ute. You don't have to engage it. It is always on and always working.

I wouldn't know about it for off-roading, but I don't think serious off-roaders look at the RAV.
    You really have to consider the QO (Quick Order) package the base RAV, and price one out accordingly.

The QO package has all the basic niceties (a/c, power windows/mirrors/locks, 6-speaker AM/FM/CD/cassette, cruise control), and I doubt you could find a RAV on a dealer's lot that doesn't have at least the QO.

I think I got my money's worth (under US$21k with AWD and auto trans), and then some, with the QO package. And that was when the Gen 2s were new and demand was high (Jan 01). There are incentives and deals to be had now.

RAV on.
    I agree, suvshopper. But I still would've preferred everything on paper, as is. I guess I've been spoiled by Honda's method. It's the sticker shock that was the real annoyance for me.
    I understand.

You could get that, a RAV configured just the way you want it, but that would have to be a special-order, and that means a 2-3 month wait, and it's still a crapshoot, based on the experiences of others ("lost" orders, unwilling dealers, etc).

After getting over your "sticker shock", you'll hopefully be happy with the vehicle/price in the long run.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Considering what is out there in the market of mini-utes these days, in terms of price and content, it is inexcusable that the RAV does not come standard with A/C and a CD player. Many a customer that I know of has been turned towards CRVs and Hyundais because of this pricing scheme of Toyota's. Just call the car a $19K car and make those two items standard - people expect them!

And if you can throw in some power amenities, now you're really talking!

It would AT LEAST be a little better if this pricing scheme were actually carried out in reality, but I defy anyone out there to find a 4x4 RAV with none of the packages - neither quick order nor L, or now sport in the '03 model. You just won't find one...and that is how Toyota is being very deceptive about the price on this vehicle, IMHO.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    Although I'm only familiar with the situation in California, my impression is that a QO, L, or (now) Sport package is included on all RAV4s imported to the U.S. So (if this is true), the base price may be deceptive, but every RAV4 does come with AC, CD player, and power equipment. However, I'd add to "must have" standard items: ABS, tonneau cover, and keyless entry. Of course, the latter two can be added by the dealer, but ABS can't. I suppose there are people who don't want to spend the extra $300 for ABS, but I've owned ABS-equipped cars for about 10 years, and I wouldn't buy a car without it.
    mini-utes are more expensive than the RAV anyway, except for the Kia, so why not just raise the base price to $19K or whatever, and make A/C, CD, and power locks and mirrors standard?

Those are now all standard features in the COROLLA, at least minus the locks, and that car costs upwards of $5K less than the RAV!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Anyone else notice that the lever on the rear seats (to flip the seats into reclining position) is really difficult to pull on?

Does it loosen up with time? Sometimes a simple pull does the truck, but most of the time you really have to yank it.
  • rav4d2rav4d2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering to get the sunroof option. Will it leak in due time? Will it rattle , close/open position? Pls advise.
    diploid: I've had to yank the pull tab sometimes, other times it works easily. I tried it just now, and it was easy. Maybe it has loosened up, I can't be sure. Maybe you could try rocking the seatback as you pull.

rav4d2: I've seen a couple complaints about RAV4 moonroof leakage and rattle noise (and scratching), but I don't know how common this is.
    Personally, I've had "issues" with sunroofs (on 2 VWs), so I avoid them.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Being able to shift from drive to neutral is normal (all vehicles are the same). It enables the driver to stop quicker in some circumstances (like deploying the clutch on a standard tranny). The wheels stop turning. It is quite useful in rainy, icy and snowy conditions or even if the motor starts racing for unknown reasons. In emergency situations shifting from drive to neutral can be accomplished quite easily... no need to search for buttons. It will not harm any mechanical parts. If anything it should be considered a safety feature rather than a safety hazard. It also facilitates the shifting from reverse to drive.

It is recommended that you drive with the overdrive on at all times to improve gas mileage and promote longer engine life. The only time you MAY want to drive with the OD off is when driving on extremely hilly terrain and the vehicle does a lot shifting up and down searching for gears. Some may suggest that it will give you a little more power because of the different gear settings while the OD is off. However the trade-off is the motor revs higher and gas mileage suffers.
    That OD/off trick really works. I would like to add that once you get up to speed (around 40mph), you can turn OD back on.
    I drove for a week, the moonroof creaked constantly when it was closed, plus it is made of a plastic resin which is supposedly really easy to scratch.

The moonroof has creaked when closed in all of the new Toyotas I have driven in the last year or so. But I don't think leakage is a problem.

• nancy13nancy13 Member Posts: 9
    Unless you just can't live without a sunroof, I would not recommend getting one in a new RAV. I have a sunroof in my '02 and it leaks like a sieve. Local Toyota service rep says it's the way the sunroof was designed and that there is a channel and drain holes to handle any water. So far I haven't had the energy to fight them on this.

As far as rattles, noises, etc. I really haven't had major problems.
    On one VW I had, when the sunroof leaked I learned that the channel that is designed to drain the water around the sunroof opening (and outlet it in the wheel well via a tube) had become clogged due to leaves, etc, that had gotten into the channel. My compressor-owning buddy blew air thru and opened the tube again.
    This helped.

But like I said, I now avoid sun/moonroofs.
    are not well-equipped or prepared to handle a lot of the complaints about moonroofs, it seems. It is just part of the design, as all materials get lighter and cheaper, that it will creak as the vehicle moves and flexes. Extra reinforcement would cost money!

• 389389 Member Posts: 1
    suvshopper4, you paid under $21K is out of door (include tax and incense fee)? Also, the QO package include the sunroof ?
    I am in California, I order a Rav4 4X2 automatic with QO package will cost $18856 (not include tax and license). Is a reasonable price ?
    No, my $21k was not the out-the-door price. Tax, tags, and license were extra.

The QO package does not include the sunroof. That is an extra option.

Your price for a 2WD automatic QO sounds okay, about $2k less than my 4WD automatic QO (in Jan '01).
    How does your price compare with edmunds' TMV?
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    My daughter took delivery today of a RAV4 that we ordered on May 23! For those of you who might be considering special-ordering a RAV, here's some detail on the experience.

My daughter wanted a RAV with 2wd, 5-speed, ABS, L package (which requires alloy wheels), and moonroof. It didn't take long to find out that Toyota did not import such cars into California (the ABS was the hangup). Longo Toyota agreed to special-order the car from Japan at $500 over invoice, but warned that it might take 4 months to arrive. The weird thing (which the salesman says is not unusual with special orders) is that the car never appeared on any computer listing. It just showed up today at Longo, exactly as we ordered it, without apparently ever having officially existed.

So, if you're thinking of special-ordering a RAV and are willing to wait, it can be done, but you may find it to be an exasperating experience. At times, I would have given odds that our car would never arrive.

By the way, the car turned out to be a 2003 model with an invoice price about $550 LESS than the 2002 model (most of the savings coming from a substantially reduced price on the L package). The invooice on this RAV was about $19,250.
    Nice that you could special-order for only $500 over invoice. Sounds pretty good to me. Way to go, Longo Toyota. They even got the wait time right.

Nearly 4 months is a long time to wait for a new vehicle, but at least you got exactly what you wanted by your willingness to be patient.

Hope your daughter enjoys her RAV, and that, in the end, you think it was worth the wait.
    just ANY dealer would have done this, either. I have heard stories all over the web of dealers being unwilling, or saying it was downright impossible. I bet it doesn't hurt that Longo is the number one dealer of toyotas in the world outside Japan! At something like twice the annual sales of their nearest competitor...

• totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    I bought one in the SF Bay Area. Here is a quick and dirty write up on it. Will post a longer and detail version, if anyone wants to read it. 2WD graphite gray color with sport package, 16" aluminum wheels, sunroof, keyless entry, and rear spoiler options. $500 over invoice with really great financing.
    what is there in the new sport package that is not appearance-based? I know it has a hood scoop and some other visual stuff. The 16" rims are the standard size for RAV - are they a special design in the sport package? Is anything else included, or do they change the suspension at all?

I believe the rims are a special size, but still 16 inchers, same as all other RAV4s.
    The package code for the 16" is AW. It's the split 5 spoke aluminum. I think all the sport package comes built with extra options I listed from the factory. On the Built Your Own page on Toyota's website, you have to get those extra options when you select the sport package. On the sticker, the factory subtract $1000. 80% for invoice and 4% for dealer kickback is about the same as the $750 rebate they are offering on the 2002.

It's pretty much all looks. Since I didn't test drive a regular or L RAV4, I can't say. Here are the different I can think of. The graphite gray is only for the sport package RAV, it's the same color used on the IS300. The hood scoop is cover and insulated from the inside. Things I don't like compare to L package. The S doesn't come with fog lamp, tonneau cover, and hard shell tire cover. Didn't really care if the side molding color match or not.

PS. I had the dealer add the tonneau cover as a dealer option.
    What is it with this new fascination to have non-functional hood scoops on trucks?

It is just my little worthless opinion, but while hood scoops enhance the looks of sporty cars, like coupes, they look a little silly on trucks, especially the RAV, which is no sports car!

These were big years ago. Now they're coming back? Go figure. They actually catch air and create more wind resistance!
    Toyota is making the hood that has a scoop for other markets' RAV4 that has turbo disel engine. It was the easiest way for them to come up with something new for 2003. Just like offering the graphite gray from the IS300.
    if more people will be attracted to buy one because of the hood scoop.

I have driven RAV extensively, and one thing it is not, to me, is very sporty...it would need more power for that. It is great just the way it is, but if I were Toyota looking for a way to refresh its image a little, I would probably do something to accentuate its enormous utility, rather than its questionable sport appeal...

Maybe Toyota is trying to accentuate the RAV's difference from the grocery-getters.

And maybe sporty is not the best word for the RAV, but it sure is nimble.
  • adorableadorable Member Posts: 9
    RAV4, red, auto, no 4wd.

No problems with winds here in California. Just stable and runs fine. No problems about getting pushed about in moderate winds. Don't have hurricanes like back east however ;)

No problems with on/off ramps even fully loaded in back with boxes of heavy stuff. Just floor the baby and off it goes. Nice pickup even between 30-60mph and it merges securely and safe with the usual killer LA traffic. Don't know about towing, so can't say there. Basically, if you've driven a Civic or compact sedan, it runs just like one. Scoots well and just goes w/o much complaint.

Very nice for a daily commuter and shopper car. Easy as pie to park, quick to maneuver, sure responsive steering, low effort go. Easy, comfy, and goes.

See my other post in Corolla vs. RAV4 for a longer list of pluses.
    That's funny. Yesterday the afternoon commute was very windy and the RAV4 seem to handled it pretty well.

Merging on to the freeway is no problem. I drove a sporty coupe with the same engine size for couple years. The RAV4 seems have the same pick up. Although, the RAV4 is rated 2 second slower.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I may be interested in upgrading my 2000 RAV4 L to a 2003 RAV4 Sport Package w/4WD. I have tried the build your own section on the Toyota site and came up only with QO or L packages.

I also need 4WD, here in Connecticut we get lots of bad weather, especially in winter. I'm not some California sun chaser who can suffice with only 2WD.

Thanks for any help.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Looks like the dealers haven't called for it. I was able to look it up using a California zip code but not Connecticut.
  • lilstevielilstevie Member Posts: 2
    Hello!
    After much research I just purchased a 2002 RAV 4 3 wks ago... L package... 2WD Auto with ABS. So far it is great...I like everything, except for some reason, I am getting terrible gas milage. I drive quite a bit between the SF bay area and LA... and on it's maiden voyage down I-5... I noticed I was only averaging about 20.1 mpg as opposed to the 29 it's supposed to get.

A few facts: I did not wait 1000 miles before going over 55... that's pretty much impossible on the freeway. I don't drive slowly... I am quite aggressive and usually average around 85 on the freeway. I did check the tire pressure... psi is about 31 all around. I just got back and have just over 1000 miles now. This really concerns me becuz the milage was a big decision in my purchase. I realize I go quite a bit faster and am a more aggressive driver, but I believe I should at least get the city mpg on the highway which is 24... this would make a huge difference, esp. here in CA.
    According to other posts I have seen... the milage will continue to increase. So my questions are ... have I damaged my new car by not "breaking in" the engine for the 1st 1000 miles? Has anybody gotten such terrible milage off the bat and can I expect it to improve? If so... any ideas about how many miles before this occurs? Any other ideas about improving milage (besides slowing down? With mixed city driving... it got about the same milage... still lower than it's suppossed to be. (can i arbitrate with toyota if the milage doesn't improve?) Any insights would be great. Otherwise... so far it is a great car, but this milage thing may be a deal breaker! - Thanks!
    That would be my best advice. This car almost overmatches its engine in weight, being that it is only a 2.0. Plus, it has lots of wind resistance due to its high stance. Therefore, if you bring it down to, say, 70 mph, you will probably bring that mileage up to more like 24.

No, you cannot arbitrate with Toyota over the mileage, and it is not a lemon unless there is something specifically, mechanically, wrong with it. The mileage figures on the sticker are merely estimates put there by the EPA, and they state you could get a wide range of mileage around their numbers.

My experience has been that I can always get the freeway number around town, because I have a very conservative driving style. I can usually exceed the highway number by at least 10% on an all-highway drive. HOWEVER, THE SOLE EXCEPTION to this for me was the RAV. This car is rated 23/27 in AWD, which is the model I had for a couple of weeks, and in all the driving (more than 1000 miles) I did, I could never get more than 25 mpg in that car. Since you quote 29 mpg for highway, I am assuming you have a 2WD instead. So the best you could hope for is maybe 26-27, unless you drive SUPER-FRUGALLY (believe me, I already drive fairly frugally all the time!).

And no, you did not wreck the engine by going 85 mph in the break-in period (and by doing sustained speeds for extended lengths of time, if I can read between the lines accurately). BUT, the guy who owns your RAV when it turns over 100K miles is going to hate you! LOL

Do you drive with Overdrive engaged? It makes the RAV "less" powerful (go up hills with and without O/D engaged and you'll notice it) but you gain in mileage.
  • lilstevielilstevie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks... (it is a 2WD) Yes, I always drive with the OD engaged and I realize i will get better milage going slower... however, the milage in standard city driving has not gotten above 20.1 yet either so I think, that it may not be just the speed issue...

I am looking at my sticker now and the little average milage disclaimer says "milage will vary with conditions ... blah blah blah, but results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 20 to 28mpg in the city and 24 to 34 mpg on the highway..." at this point... I would love to get 24mpg on the highway,
    my experience with cars is limited... but I compare it to my old little honda civic, that was driven under the same conditions (i realize the rav 4 is not a honda civic coupe) and the gas milage was still much higher in the city than the highway.... guess I'm just looking to hear that the gas milage will improve... at least somewhat over a certain period of time... but once again... any advice is great - Thanks!
    My RAV's mileage kept improving over the first ~10,000 miles.

I take it easy on takeoffs, because heavy acceleration is a mileage killer.

At 31k+ total miles, on an '01 with auto trans and AWD, I am typically getting mileage of 26+ (60/40 hwy/suburbs) up to 29+ (all highway, 70mph).
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    I have an '02 RAV4 L with the normal roof rack. Does anyone know if the center cross rails can be removed?

Would be easier for washing/waxing and when the snow arrives if the cross rails can come off.

Anyone know of a good WWW site for buying tire chains? I have to have them by law here in CA, although don't plan on using them with the AWD.

Thanx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've had good luck getting my last two sets at thrift stores - both times in original boxes with the size clearly marked, and both sets worked!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Yes, the cross-rails on the roof rack can be removed. It is the reverse of the original installation. Maybe a tech at the dealership can tell you, as I think all roof racks are dealer-installed (not by the manufacturer, nor at the port).

The guy who bought my rack did it, but I don't remember how, for sure.

I kind of remember that you have to ~carefully~ pry off the side-rail end pieces, then loosen the cross-rails and slide them back and off at the end of the channel.

Hope this helps.
  • bpraticobpratico Member Posts: 23
    Michelin's "Cross Terrain SUV" tire does not come in a 215/70/16 size. The closest size they make is 225/70/16. Can I safely use this size? The NTB salesrep says that he thinks so ....
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    It should be OK. I think u can use up to 235/60/16. By the way, I plan to buy a 03 RAV4 AWD or 03 Corolla for my wife. She just got her liscense. Which is better for a female driver? I worry that RAV4 is harder to park and handle than a small seden.
    It park and handle pretty much like a small sedan. In fact, the RAV4's platform is revise version of Corolla's platform.