Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Yup. The only thing that differs on the RAV4 is the rather large blind spot in the C-pillar.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've read that the RAV is based on the Corolla's platform, I've read it is based on the Camry's platform, and I've read it is based on the Celica's platform. I don't think the wheelbase is the same as any of these vehicles, and I seriously doubt it is a unique RAV platform, so it is likely based on some revision.

Where do I find out for sure?
    Is it specified in any official Toyota literature?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I heard that it is a unique platform, but I don't remember where. I also remember reading that the AWD is from the Lexus RX300.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Is there a different on insurance between 2WD and AWD RAV4? How much is it around? Thanks.
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    Celica115: I don't think that there is a difference in insurance rates between a 2wd and 4wd RAV4. When my daughter got insurance for her new RAV a few weeks ago (through State Farm), the only option the agent asked about was the L package.

If you want to investigate this yourself, the obvious thing to do would be to get quotes from a few companies. You could also try www.InsWeb.com. Also note that the current issue (October) of Consumer Reports has an article on car insurance that might lead to other sources of information.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, the bigger tire size should work without rubbing, since the optional tires on the RAV are even wider, BUT you should rememb

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

er that your speedometer will be off, since the new tires are bigger...specifically it will read slower than you are actually going.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    The Toyota Highlander, Sienna and the Lexus RX300 are built on the Camry platform. Of course it's also use for the Solara as well the Avalon and ES300. The Celica, Matrix, and RAV4 are all built on the Corolla. Let's not forget the Pontiac Vibe.
    how about let's FORGET the Pontiac Vibe??!! ;-)

Don't know why Toyota is exporting the Vibe back to Japan as the Voltz. The Matrix's look is more appealing to Asian taste. They have something call the Caldina that looks like the Matrix, but does do it for me. Anyway, at least the RAV4 made in Japan and imported here.
    for now, until they start building it in Ontario!

Where did you get your platform info?
    Can you hook me up with anything on this from Toyota?
    Thanks.
    and Highlanders sales are both up 30% over the same month (August) of a year ago...Toyota is scrambling to figure out how to be able to build more to meet demand...

I get most of these info from reading car magazines. But if you want to read articles about cars built on the Corolla platform, search the keywords "corolla platform" on Google. Do the same for the Camry platform. Toyota is not only one that do this. Virtually all of Honda/Acura cars are built on the Civic and Accord platforms. You get a shorter list of cars that aren't built on those platforms. Nissan is starting to do platform sharing, too.
  • jasper42jasper42 Member Posts: 7
    I am 6'4", with about a 36" inseam. Any chance I would be comfortable in a RAV4?
    Can't answer that question for you cause I'm not that tall. However, I can guess that your rear passengers will practically have no legroom cause your seat will more than likely be pushed to its furthest position away from the steering wheel.
    RAV seems a bit squishy for a really tall person - I had the driver's seat on the furthest back setting, and I am 7 inches shorter.

• caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    Jasper, you would have no problem with headroom in the RAV4. I am 6'1", have an '02 and the sunroof and have plenty of room.

With your long legs, you may have some tightness under the steering wheel.

A feature that might help is the cushion has a height/tilt adjustment.

You would really have to take one for a drive to see with your situation, esp with visibility. When you do, don't forget the cushion.
  • rav4d2rav4d2 Member Posts: 3
    I've seen those cool RAV4 stickers on the hard spare wheel cover, but wondering where I can buy them. Anybody could suggest a few website that I can view the various sticker option?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    My wife is interested in 2003 Toyota RAV 4 and Honda CR-V. The brochure on RAV 4 shows little elbow room for driver and all passengers. We also like the CR-V because it is bigger than RAV 4 and with more horsepower and 4-wheel disc brakes. But there is no leather seats and color-keyed bumper on CR-V. Any suggestions?
    Just go test drive both. Go see them in person and sit in both of them. The CRV is bigger, roomier, and has more power. I, myself, like the look of the RAV4. The CRV is too boxy, but then most Honda cars are boxy now. Because the current RAV4 has been out for two years, Toyota is discounting the 2003, $1000 off some option packages. On top of that, most dealers will sell it $500 to $800 over invoice. While the current CRV model is brand new, most dealers will sell it at MSRP. So guess which one I bought?
    totalnet - Thanks. We properly take the RAV4 because of the factory incentive and saving. I think the seating and comfort is similar to my '93 Accord. I don't know why the CR-V is selling at MSRP. Are they coming from Japan or England? I thought they usually don't have any supply & demand problems.
    BTW - If I take the RAV4, what most popular package and accessories are good to have and what's not? I think I need 4WD and power everything.
    Does anyone know where can I buy the genuine Toyota parts and accessories (aftermarket also) for the 2001-03 RAV4?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a good time to reopen the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) aftermarket parts and equipment discussion. Hopefully not all the links in there are stale.

Steve, Host

The demand for the CR-V is pretty high right now, being a new redesign model. Demand is always higher for Honda. Honda is a smaller company than Toyota, so it makes product fewer cars and has less models in general. Both the CR-V and RAV4 are made in Japan.

Toyota's packages are really wierd. They have different package options for different area of the country. Like I haven't seen a AWD with sport package in California. But basically there are three levels of packages availible for the RAV4. Base, Sport, Limited. In my area, the basic will alway come with quick package, which includes AC and power windows/door locks. Sport and Limited in my area will alway come with sunroof and alloy wheels. Anyway, go to www.toyota.com and put in your zip code in the built your own RAV4 section. You will see what the package options they have in your area.
  • JimSUV99JimSUV99 Member Posts: 3
    My '01 RAV had an annoying crackling noise coming from the middle dash area, so I took it to the dealer. He test drove it and immediately diagnosed the noise as coming from the bottom windshield area. I made a 1 1/2 hour appointment for warranty repair, they worked on it, and it makes absolutely no noise now.
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I am looking to possibly get another mini-ute in the coming months and have looked at many of them (Tribape, CR-V, RAV4, Subies, even the Xterra etc.) From my research it seems to boil down to the following:

Want passenger space: CR-V

Want power: Tribape

Want off-road prowess: X-terra

Want car-like manners: Subies

My question is, what is the stand-out trait that the RAV4 offers? Thanks in advance for input!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    a Tribape?
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    thel,

What mini-ute you already have will help us decide what you should get....

What mini-ute do you currently own?
    re: raybear
    Tribape = Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape

re: thel
    RAV4 does have car like manners. As previous posted, the RAV4 is built on the Corolla platform. EPA list it for having the best fuel economy for an SUV. It's the least boxy looking of all SUV you listed. IMHO, it's the best looking mini-ute. You always the get Toyota reliability with the RAV4.
    unitl I "stole" it this summer and traded it in for a Miata. It was nice and roomy but not real comfortable on long trips. I also got tired of the weeny engine that had no torque at all for going up hills on the highway. Between black paint and the huge passenger area, the 2.0L 4-cyl driven AC unit couldn't keep up with summer heat here in Missouri. I like the RAV4 except that the rear seating area seems tiny compared to the competition.

I suppose gas mileage would be the main standout area for the RAV4 unless it's styling, but that is very subjective. Personally, I like the styling of all of them.
    I believe that the RAV4 will, in general, be most appreciated by city folks. It is small on the outside (less than a foot longer than a Miata), relatively roomy on the inside, very nimble (a pleasure for running errands), and gets good fuel economy.

Most publications think that the CR-V and Forester are better all-around vehicles, but Consumer Reports rates the RAV4 as the top small SUV.

Styling is of course subjective, but I really believe that the RAV4 has more "personality" than the other small SUVs.
    The RAV4 is definitely not for those who intend to have adult passengers in the rear in most of the driving.

If you're just starting a family, however, it should be no problem. There's enough room back there for little kids.
    Just got an email from the dealer about the remaining 2002 RAV4s at $250.00 under dealer cost (or invoice). MSRP $21164, now $18250!!?? It is silver, 4WD with Quick order package, roof rack, mats and mudguards. Sounds attractive but it's just too small. And I am also looking at the Honda CR-V or Kia Sorento. Is the resale value based on the model year and not the age of the car? If yes, this 2002 model will becomes 1 year old in few weeks!
    then its not a good deal.
    Any comments on the resale value when buying a last year model?
    The general manager send an email for $500 under invoice for their 7 remaining RAV4s. I don't know anything about the invoice. Are they still making money when selling below invoice?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Probably, but who knows? Besides holdback or other floorplanning arrangements, there are all kinds of incentives that can be offered, including "dealer cash" or extra allotments of hot sellers and other stuff that we'll never know about.

I wouldn't worry so much about how the dealer is sending her kids to college as whether I got a good "out the door" price.

Steve, Host
    steve - I agree. They properly get still make money from the deal with the factory cash back or incentive. BTW, they just called me for additional $750 (in addition to the $500 dealer's offer) cash back from Toyota for the remaining 2002 RAV4s. That gives me a total of $1250 below invoice. Too bad that I lost interest in RAV4. It is too small for my family.
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    Do you have phone # I can call the dealer? $1250 below invoice is a very good deal.
  • rav4manrav4man Member Posts: 21
    Hello!
    After much research, consumer reports, testdrives, I bought a 2003 rav4 5 speed 2wd
    with quick order pkg at Spartan Toyota Lansing MI. Sticker after $1000 discount was
    $18500, they quoted $17,000 and I took it. Probably could have gotten for less but it
    was the only gold one I had come across and I wanted it bad. Also note I tested an automatic
    and that is a superfine setup also. I would have also bought this if it had automatic.

This is a well built car. Positives: 28.5 mpg at 1500 miles, should increase as I break
    it in. turning radius increadibly short. Interior seats 6 foot frame comfortable. handles long drives well. I do not want to get out of car, interior feels so right. My other vehicles are a 99
    Ford F 150 and a 01 Ford Expedition which get 14 mpg. Ford Escape was not and option at 17 mpg. I needed gas mileage. Santa Fe rode mushy and new Honda CRV body style plain jane and looks like car is 2 foot wide.

I have the cowl rattle. I bought the menards insulation and pep boys screws and I will do my own cowl fix this weekend (see internet sites on this), cost $20. Dealer fix not good and I
    want this car perfect. It will be.

Came with base 16" steel mag wheels. I want to put on 17" alloys. Has anyone done this and would they scrape frame? My reasoning is simple: Larger tires cover more distance per rotaion
    thus allowing engine to rev less at higher speeds, increasing mpg. plus they would really make this car look tougher. Yada Yada speedometer would be off, but who watches speed anymore?
    your mpg is only going to be better at high speeds - around town it will be worse. They just had a segment on this a couple of weeks ago on "Car Talk", and an engineer came on to talk about it.

Anyone out there have a 5 spd AWD? They are very rare here in the SF Bay Area..it would be nice if they were more available, the auto sucks a lot of power up.

The only 5 speeds I have seen are 2WDers.

They're all used 2001's. They're asking about $17,000. They all appear to have the QO pkg.
    rav4man: Glad you like it. Enjoy your new ride.

mathtype: I agree. The RAV4 is real good all around (if you don't tow or climb hills regularly), but it really shines in the city.

I've found it to be a nice travel vehicle. My gf and I just took a 3-day trip, also took an 8-day trip in July. With just one rear seat removed, there was plenty of room and convenient access to all our stuff. And I can still park in "compact car" spaces.

RAV on.
  • jgblankenshipjgblankenship Member Posts: 1
    What is the deal with the RAV4 not having a rear bumper? Is this an issue for anyone? I understand the crash test results are favorable for the RAV4, but intuitively it just seems like a bad idea to not have a bumper??

Can anyone help me on this? Don't know if it makes a difference, but I live in an urban area, so I would be concerned with issues such as tight parallel parking, etc.

Like many others, I am looking at the RAV4, CRV and Forrester.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
  • nikki15nikki15 Member Posts: 9
    Was just wondering, does anyone have an idea percentage wise, of how many of each type (2wd-4wd) are sold. We are trying to decide which one would be better for us living in the Northeast, doing no off-roading but contending with some snow. From other posts I have noticed that some packages or options only come in 2WD models and vice-verse. I guess my main concern is the extra initial cost of a 4WD along with the lower gas mileage.
    Thanks for any thoughts on this subject.
    For the benefits of 4wd in snow, check out the article in the December 2002 issue of Consumer Reports. I think you will find it useful.

As for 2wd vs. 4wd in a RAV4, for me it was a no-brainer. I live in California and don't ever drive in snow or on non-paved roads. So, by ordering a 2wd RAV4:
    1. I saved about $1000.
    2. I get better gas mileage.
    3. I believe I get faster acceleration.
    4. My car has a numerically lower rear axle ratio (about 10% lower), so it turns fewer revs at any given speed.
    5. My car has a less complex power train, which might translate into better reliability.

HOWEVER, if I had to drive on snow from time to time, I might waive all the above advantages of 2wd in favor of the increased security that 4wd offers. ALSO, you are right about the fact that Toyota bundles certain options together based on region. For example, in 2002, it was literally impossible to get a 2wd stick shift RAV4 with antilock brakes anywhere in California. To see which option packages are available in your area, go to the "Build Your Own" section of toyota.com, put in your Zip code, and you will see which combos of options are possilbe.
  • nikki15nikki15 Member Posts: 9
    Many thanks for the info. After visiting the Toyota site, I know exactly what I have to choose from. If I want a 5-speed, the 4WD is my only choice.