Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are a couple of things going into the design of the rear of the RAV-4. First, as an SUV, there actually isn't any requirement for a rear bumper. However, as is shown by the crash test results, they do have all of the crumple zones built into the rear of the vehicle. The rear quarters do have bumpers built into them, but a bumper across the whole rear would have to detrimental effects to the vehicle. First, the spare would have to be higher, impeding the visibility, which if you've driven one, you'll notice it doesn't do now. Secondly, the load floor would need to be both higher and stick out further, impeding the ability to load the rear. One of the best parts about the RAV is that the cargo floor is so low, it's very easy to get things into and out of.
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    Toyota allocate it's models base on regions. I am pretty sure that in your region, there are more AWD models available. In the built your car section of Toyota's website, the first thing it ask is your zip code. Also some dealer websites do have an online inventory section. Check that listing and you should at least see what is available.
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    for a major business daily. I am the reporter for a fun auto feature and am seeking drivers of the Toyota RAV-4 [hhybrid electric model]. If you drive such a car, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com and include your daytime telephone number so I can call you to talk about your experiences with the vehicle
  • husker12husker12 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has decided she wants a 2wd, automatic, L model Rav4 (either 2002 or 2003). I need some advice on how much I should be willing to pay. I'm willing to be pateint and look until I find the best deal. I live in the midwest if that makes any difference. Any opinions??
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    My son's 2002 Rav4 which is 6 months old developed a large crack in the windscreen while parked overnight in the locked garage. The crack is right in front of the driver and is getting bigger all the time. There are no chip marks to show that a stone could have started it.

I think the winscreen was stressed when it was installed. What do others think and has this happened to anybody else?
    Price out the options on Edmund's new car section. Pay $300 to $500 over invoice and that should be a good deal. My local dealer was in the Costco car buying program and their pre-negociated price was $800 over invoice. But I got it down to $500 over invoice.
  • mspurplemspurple Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone! I'm new on this site. I've recently been considering the RAV4. I was on a Santa Fe kick for some time, did a lot of research, test drove it a couple of times, really liked it. I've since moved on to the RAV4. I'm not too keen on the 4 cylinder, but I like the styling much better. Combed through the '03 brochure; now here's my question: Does anyone know much about the Sports package? I've spoken to 2 different dealers. Neither of them knew about this pkg. Both insisted I was talking about the "L" pkg. They looked into it and apparently it's not being made in the NY (Buffalo) area yet -- possibly spring. Has anyone seen this package on an '03 or have any knowledge about this? FYI, it changes the front grill and has a hood scoop, just to name a couple items I'm interested in. I already went into Toyota.com and typed in my zip - not available yet. I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you're here.

I know the fine members who frequent this forum will be more than happy to help you out and we look forward to hearing more from you!

tidester, host
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    all automotive glass is pre-stressed in order to meet crash specifications under U.S. federal law.

What most likely happened here is that there was a rock, then there was a tiny crack that no-one noticed for a while, then it got bigger and bigger as they tend to do with more driving, until finally it was too big to miss.

The upside is there are companies that will actually come to where the car is and install the new windshield on the spot, so you are minimally inconvenienced.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    No, this was a large crack that appeared overnight. I brought an industrial microscope from work and carefully examined the entire lenght of the crack. No evidence of any chip marks. By stressed I mean that the glass may have been stressed in the frame of the vehicle. I have heard of cases where windscreens in certain cars have a history of cracking. I hope the 2002 RAV4 is not one of them.
    Actually, I think that the only two sport package RAV-4's in the Buffalo area that I know of were sold by me. They were both VERY difficult to get ahold of. They have a hood scoop, silver painted overfenders, alloy wheels, sport-cloth interior and a silver roof rack. They are basically a half-way model between the "L" and "quick order" models. They don't have the hard spare tire cover or the hard tonneau cover in the cargo area. But most other equipment is the same. If you have any other questions, feel free to re-post here.
    Got my RAV4 with sport package back in September, but I am in the California. The also I wish the sport included the foglight. Also you get a tube roof rack, which IMHO looks better than the one on the L package.
    From what I saw when I got the vehicles for my customers, the New York Region is not getting any with the Sport Package currently and it doesn't look like we're getting any in the next few months. The regions around here that ARE getting them seem to be Pennsylvania for those without moonroofs and the Chicago region for those with moonroofs. (had to get one of each, *LOL*) Hope this helps.

And the fog lights are also on the ones here as well. Thanks for adding that totalnet.
  • malswiftmalswift Member Posts: 1
    I located a RAV4 in New Hampshire with the following options and wanted to know if $23,200 was a fair price:

- Automatic
    - AWD
    - L package
    - AY wheel package with color-keyed overfenders and matching aluminum spare wheel
    - ABS brakes
    - Wide Mud Guards (MA)
    - Keyless Entry
    - Remote Start
    - Roof Rack with center rails
    - Stainless Steel tube steps
    - Moonroof
    - Rear Spoiler

Thanks for any help you folks can lend me?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you look at the True Market Value numbers for it?

Steve, Host

• lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    Thought everyone would like to know where the RAV$ stacked up in the survey:

http://www.motorportal.com/j__d__powers_survey.htm

cleaned up!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    That depends on how seriously you take JDP's rankings. I personally think the Initial Quality Survey is a joke.

However, I take their long-term reliability rankings more seriously...cause then you see some of the winners in the IQS really fall (e.g. Chevy, Ford).
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    My friend just picked up a 99 Rav 4. He said it has AWD and there's a button someplace labeled "ECT". Anybody know what this is? The salesman said something about it locking the vehicle into 4WD and not allowing it to go over 10mph. Sounded like he didn't know and was making something up. He doesn't have the manual. Anybody know what this is?
    The ECT button on your friend's RAV-4 does a couple of different things. ECT stands for Electronicly Controled Transmission (please excuse the spelling). When it is engaged, you will see a light on the dash that says "ECT PWR". When it is engaged, it changes the shift patterns of the transmission once it is warm. It will down-shift more readily and quickly, and it will stay in the lower gears longer when accelerating to maximize the HP and Torque range of the engine which are in the high RPM range. This will not effect your gas milage while just going at one speed down the road, but can effect it if they're a bit of a lead foot as it will use more gas during acceleration. It's best used if you like to have a bit more "oomph" when accelerating or passing. Hope this helps.

Ken
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't have an ECT button on my '01 RAV.
    (Either that, or I've missed it.)
    Maybe on older ('96-'00) models only, done away with when they upped the horsepower in '01?
    Toyota has been eliminating this system from most of their models. A large part of this is the upgraded emissions standards for all vehicles. Also, part I'm sure, is reducing costs. On top of that, with the newer models going to a throttle control with no cable, it is less necessary anymore. The newer transmissions and throttles are better able to both translate pedal movement as well as learn driving habits, so it's sort of redundant.
  • ckleteckackletecka Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if ABS (anti-lock brakes) is available without the "L" option package. We only want the "Quick order" package but can't seem to get that with ABS, at least here in Vermont. I'm willing to travel, at least within the northeast states, if available elsewhere.
    First, at least here in the Buffalo area, they are VERY uncommon. Maybe 10% of RAV-4's have ABS at all, and almost all of them are "L" models. Of the ones that do have ABS, they are ALL AWD models. That is not to mean that other models don't have it, but very uncommon. Depending on where in VT you are, there are a few in NYS that you should be able to get ahold of if the dealer you're working with is interested in earning your business.
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    I apologize to those of you who've heard all this before, but once again the question has been asked: "How do I get a certain kind of RAV4 with ABS?" Anout six months ago, I spent too much of my time trying to track down a 4x2, 5 speed RAV with ABS. In the process, I learned a few things, which may save some other people some time.

Toyota bundles options on the RAVs it imports, offering a limited variety of these bundles which vary from one part of the country to another. Here are several ways you can find out which option bundles are available in your region.

1. Use the Web to contact Internet sales for dealers in your area, and tell them the RAV you want. Some of them will show no interest in helping you if their dealership does not have the car you want, but I found a couple who used their computer to try to locate "my" vehicle throughout California and Arizona.

2. Contact a car buying service such as CarsDirect or Autobytel and ask them to try to find the car you want. They will usually tell you if it exists and, if not, how you'll have to change your options to get a compromise vehicle.

3. If you like to do things yourself, go to the "Build Your Own" section of the Toyota Web site, and enter "RAV4" and a zip code for a region you are curious about. Then, on the next screen, select 4x2 or 4x4 and manual or automatic, and the available bundled options for that region and that vehicle will be displayed on the next screen.

Just for the record, the particular RAV I wanted was nowhere to be found, so I special-ordered the vehicle (through a local dealer) directly from Japan. Delivery took almost 4 months, but I did get exactly the RAV I wanted at a reasonable price.
  • starkravingstarkraving Member Posts: 6
    Hi, guys; my first post to this topic. Picking up my RAV this evening. Dealer managed to get me the sport package (had to convince him such a thing existed first) but the color he found available (graphite gray pearl) was not my first choice (wanted white). The car I'm getting looks identical to the picture on page two of the brochure.
    Went with RAV4 after much shopping because (in descending order of importance):
    1. Handling/responsiveness: what a joy to drive.
    2. Ergonomics: Well laid-out cabin; good feel.
    3. Gas mileage: got the 5-speed. 31 on the hwy.
    4. Price: dealer invoice + $300 = 19,278.00
    5. Reputation: our three previous Toyotas have held up well, despite my attempts to kill them.
    6. Looks: let's face it - it's FINE!

Thanks for having me.
    Congratulations. Good luck with your new RAV ride.
    Thanks, suvshopper4. So far, I'm loving the vehicle - the handling, like I said, is wonderful. Here comes the trade-off, however: make no mistake, the ride is bouncy. Also, my wife gave herself a black eye when she opened the door all the way and it bounced back at her! Hope it's not a bad omen!
    Check your tire pressure (re your bouncy ride).

Hope this helps.
  • ravenousravenous Member Posts: 13
    I've got a sport package, which came with the "hybrid" soft spare tire cover. Sure would like the hard one that comes with L package. Only found it on one site - toyotaguys.com - and it was $419. That seem kinda pricey to y'all?
    Yes.

Parts are much cheaper if you're willing to go to a junk yard and look for them (and remove them) yourself. I've tried that, but none of the salvaged RAV4s have decent hard spare covers...mostly because they've all been rear ended.
    the local Toyota dealer? They actually cost more than $419 at the dealer for what is basically a large piece of plastic?

Yes, but it is a specially shaped large piece of plastic!

I like my no-name $30 black vinyl spare tire cover.
  • matrix2004matrix2004 Member Posts: 5
    Hey folks, this is my first post in this board. I just got a 2001 Rav4 L and I wanna have installed a Roof rack, rear spoiler and the sun roof wind deflector. I do have the parts and the Toyota dealers here in Baton Rouge area are quoting $470 to install them. Does it sound like a good price? What choices do I have? I really wanna have it professionaly installed. By the way I'm in love with this machine.
    thank you'll in advance
    $470 isn't asking a lot to have all three installed. But just make sure everything's there. My friend's RAV4's roof rack is missing a piece on the inside of the rack. It's all the way at the back where the screws are - there's a cover on the right rack, but the left rack is missing a cover for the screws.
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    Picked up a new 2003 Toyota RAV 4 L on December 22nd. So far I love it and was really happy it came with Toyo tires.

I have one question though! Why does everyone put a small lock at the bottom of the plastic wheel cover at the rear of the car?
    Sorry, suvshopper4; computer's been down.

RE: "Check your tire pressure (re your bouncy ride)", my tires have 29 pounds in them, which is what is specified on the decal in the vehicle. Guess "bouncy" is the nature of the beast for the short-wheelbased-tuned-for-handling RAV (my first-ever SUV). I'm not hitting the roof, mind you; the ride is just a bit of a contrast from my '96 Toyota Previa and '92 Honda Accord.

BTW, the tires are Dunlop "Grandtrek" (16-inch wheels).
  • sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    its amazing how pricey this rav4 is, reading people trying to figure out how to get all the good stuff-moonroof deflectors, roofracks, privacy glass,fog lights, rear wheel hard covers- and i think- how much does this pricey little truck cost with all this stuff? im gonna take my 23- 25 grand and check out fully loaded( ford escapes + kia sorrento +hyundai santa fe)good luck!
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    The Ford Escape, Kia Sorrento and Hyundai Sante Fe are not in the same league as the Toyota RAV 4. Look at the Ford Escape's horrendous reliability record for starters. The Hyundai Sante Fe is more reliable than the Escape but look at the ugly lines on the vehicle. The Kia Sorrento has no track record yet but if it is like other Kia's, you will need that long Kia warranty.

The three best in the class are the RAV 4, Honda CRV and Subaru Forester.
    rbruehl - The lock is to prevent theft of the cover. If you need to remove the cover, all you (and anyone else) have to do is loosen the vinyl part and then slide the cover off the spare tire.
    Escape - stalling and suspension safety recalls

Sorrento - come on, a blatant rip-off of RX300

Santa Fe - slower than sin and VERY heavy on its feet at almost 4000 pounds.

All of them - bigger and consequently harder to park, much thirstier for gas, none of them have the looks of the RAV.

I mean, come on!

I priced a fully loaded Sorento EX 4WD with Leather and Luxury package - the MRSP was around 27K. I'd take a CR-V or RAV4 with better fuel economy.
    I just put my '01 RAV thru its first 2-year inspection, with 34,500 miles on the rig. (My dealer had done the initial inspection when I bought it 2 years ago.) I went to a state inspection station, because I had the time and there is no fee.

Re emissions (reportedly strict here in NJ), my CO% was 0.01 (v. the Standard of .50%); HC was 36 (v. Standard 100) at 2,500 RPM. I like it.

One odd thing: other FWD or RWD vehicles in the lines were put on a dyno-type unit in the line, for additional emission testing. I couldn't figure how they were going to do that with the F/T AWD on the RAV. I had visions of the guy thinking it was in 2WD mode and crashing it into the vehicle ahead. But, from a distance (the waiting area), it didn't look like they dyno-tested my RAV.

Other-
    Typical mileage lately, with winter gas and about 30/70 hwy/local, is only around 23 mpUSg. Overall since new, I'm getting almost 25, with a couple of trips where I got 28-29 on several tanksful.

"im gonna take my 23- 25 grand and check out fully loaded( ford escapes + kia sorrento +hyundai santa fe)good luck!" -sedanman2
    And good luck to you, too. It's your money.

RAV on.
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    "im gonna take my 23- 25 grand and check out fully loaded( ford escapes + kia sorrento +hyundai santa fe)good luck!" -sedanman2

One of the things that people who haven't actually shopped for a RAV4 don't realize is that they sell at close to invoice prices (at least in Southern California). I remember that when I started looking at small SUVs about a year ago, I was deterred by the RAV4's relatively high sticker price; it was only after I got serious about the vehicle that I discovered that the sticker price was fiction. I believe that to spend 23K for a RAV4, it would have to be equipped with every conceivable option, including leather. Am I right?
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    I bought my Automatic 4x4 '02 RAV4 at the end of June through CarsDirect.com in the Southern California area.

The sticker price is $25,330. Mine is Titanium with ABS, Roof Rack with Center Rails, upgraded wheels with color-keyed overfenders, Keyless Entry, Rear Spoiler, Power Moonroof and the L Package, almost everything but leather.

After tax and license, etc, I financed $23,756.23. This includes a $500 Toyota manufacturer rebate offered at the time (which later went up grrrrr) and a $400 rebate for being a recent college grad.

Hope this offers insight or helps.
    be careful! In any state with a dyno emissions test, it is vital that they have a four-wheel dyno to test your car...if they put it on a two-wheel, they will destroy your AWD!

I bet the reason they did not dyno-test yours is because they did not have a four-wheel dyno...in some states AWD vehicles are exempt from that portion of the test.

• ed1288ed1288 Member Posts: 1
    I should had never bought this 2003 RAV4; the worst rides on freeway that bounces up/down like riding a horse. How & why can the Toyota had such a lousy & poor SUV came out , it ruin their reputation & I will never buy any Toyota car or SUV in the future. Their dealer service dept is horrible too, they said that is normal, just got used to it and won't help at all. At least they should check the shock & tire presure and I found out the new RAV-4 was set to 31 pounds on the tires, no wonder it rides like that, But even I adjust the tire's pressure to 26 lbs, it still not feel stable on freeway, and sometimes it wandering,& not in straight line. Anyone have any suggestion of what tire pressure it should be, the recommended tire pressure = 29 lbs, but that still feel harsh & bouncy on freeway.
    So I advice any potential customer: don't buy Toyota Rav-4.
    Did you test drive the vehicle before you bought it?
    Tire pressure is not the culprit then. I run mine at 32, with no problem.

Can you drive another RAV, new or recent, to make a comparison?

Don't take the dealer's word for it, that "they all do that." Sounds like your unit may have a problem. Your experience is nothing like mine or just about any others I've heard of, both here and on another RAV site. Especially the wandering. Mine tracks true - one of the best things about it.

Good luck getting it sorted out.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no all caps posts. It's impolite to yell and hard on the eyes.

Steve, Host