Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• sedanman2sedanman2 Member Posts: 26
    either you guys are grinning and bearing it, at how much money you paid on these( small, bouncy as heck,pricey - yes i say pricey- for a corolla on stilts,key options like ac- abs- roof racks-cd player- bundled together so you have to pay - v6 suv money- escape tribute sorento santa fe) or i must just be wrong! lol
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... and this coming from a Ford man <snicker!> ;-)

tidester, host
  • starkravingstarkraving Member Posts: 6
    ed1288, I feel some bounciness to the ride also (as I described in previous posts), but not the "wandering" you experience.

But my problem NOW is a rattling coming from the windshield when I hit the slightest bump. Taking it to the dealer this week.

Also, anybody else find the headrest leans forward a bit too much? I pulled mine out and put it back in backwards.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    "you have to pay - v6 suv money- escape tribute sorento santa fe) or i must just be wrong! lol " -sedanman2

Value is comprised of more than just features for the upfront money. -soothsayer4
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Well he's wrong. The MSRP on my RAV4 did equal that of some of the cheaper V-6 SUVs out there - but I didn't pay that amount.
  • halogenhalogen Member Posts: 20
    Greetings,
    I have a 2002 RAV 4 with every option except leather and ABS.I have sprayed silicone in a few places where plastic meets plastic - and have no heard another thing.(it's been 3 months since I sprayed between pillars, and around base of windshield area)I also coated all of my rubber door gaskets with silicone spray, to help preserve and extend life.
    Here is a question.Where should I look for the net
    that goes across the mid-region of vehicle to prevent stuff(or my dog from coming forward?)Is it stored in back /underneath ? Thanks
  • halogenhalogen Member Posts: 20
    Hmmmmmm, I have Michelin tires on mine.Which tires
    are best ?
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    Recommended tire pressure on my '02 RAV4 is 29psi. At the expense of a little harsher ride, is it better to increase the psi a couple pounds on a long drive at highways speeds? Would this save gas mileage and not be an overall bad thing?
  • 01ravioli01ravioli Member Posts: 2
    my 01 Rav has some valve rattle that I hear when cold...it has 18,900 miles on it.....the noise started at about 16,000 miles.....seems to go away once I reach operating temp. I also have heard it after warm up on occasion....anyone else experience this......thanks in advance
    A lot of RAVers, including me, run 32 psi all the time. I don't find it gives me any ride penalty (harshness), and I believe it gives better handling and mileage, plus longer tread life.
  • ravenousravenous Member Posts: 13
    I'm having a rattle in my '03 (that I bought on New Year's Eve) coming from windshield area. Planning on taking to dealer Tuesday, but should I anticipate they won't fix it? Is silicon spraying standard procedure?
  • babsanbabsan Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 RAV4L and I just noticed that the rubber 'seal' that goes around the drivers window is broken about 10 cm from the top, on the inside (so it cant be someone that have tried to pry the window open.) How are those rubber seals constructed, are they molded in one piece or is it a long thing where two loose ends have been 'fused' together? It just seems odd to me that it would break like that, and I want to get an idea what to say/suggest when I go to the dealer. The break is irregular, not cut. Im in San Diego so I open that window almost every time I drive it...

I also wonder if there are any TSB for rattle sound from the sunroof when it is in the tilt position. I hear it in low speeds as I mostly drive it off the highway, and last tiem I asked at the dealership they said it was just wind noise and that I should buy a spoiler or shield and put in front of it.

Finally, I wonder how the hell the hard tire cover is constructed, when it can come off even if it is locked using the hinge on the underside of the tire. It happened to me at a manual carwash, and the cover got all scratched as it completely fell off. I couldn't for the world figure out how the hell it could have come off with the higne intact, when it was locked? I took it to the dealer, and he helped me put it on. Only thing we could see what that the latch thing at the 1 o'clock position had not attached to the cover, so the cover was 'loose' for about 7-8 inches at that area. Anyone else having had this problem?

Thanks...
  • m9431m9431 Member Posts: 38
    The raddle around the windshield must be a common problem as mine does this too--since day one. ( Will be taking it back to the dealer for warranty work). I notice that using better fuel, plus instead of regular, noticeably increases power. My 5 speed, 2WD has adequate power and feels comparable to the Honda Accord 4-cyl. vehicle it replaces. Mine has Dunlop tires which seem OK but I'll replace them with Yokohama Geolanders which I find are excellent. I see the RAV4 as a "small, tall station wagon" that gets good gas mileage and is fun to drive--this is why I purchased it!
    No rattles here. But I do hear the whistling sound made by the roof rack when I'm traveling at highway speeds.
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    I write for a daily business newspaper and am seeking Rav 4 -EV drivers [..that is...the environmental version]. If you drive this vehicle, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com
    Before I had a chance to take the car back to the dealership, my windshield rattle has disappeared! Coincidentally, the weather has warmed up to mid-70's highs (Baton Rouge, LA). Expansion and contraction of gasket, perhaps?
  • IleIle Member Posts: 14
    Maybe we should get your Ford escape that has been recalled because it catches fire, cruise control won't shut off just to name the few, there are more... I would rather pay more for quality truck and get my money back from better resale value, the best fuel economy in class not to mention reliability and refinement than to drive a death-trap. Rear wheels falling off and we should maybe buy a V6 like that makes a big difference... or maybe it does to you, funding terrorists in the middle east is important.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    it is too extreme in here

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...funding terrorists in the middle east is important.

You might be interested in the Are SUVers Unpatriotic? discussion! :-)

tidester, host
  • stephanrmstephanrm Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently choosing a [Canadian] RAV4 model to buy in the next few days, and was just wondering about the Panasonic Stereo in the Chili edition. Are the speakers upgraded as well as the deck, or just the deck? I've leaned to the Chili over the 'B' package due to the nicer seats and sound system. I don't care for the hood scoop, but Canadians get jerked around a bit by the 'packages' offered. Also, has anyone noticed whether this fake hood scoop causes additional noise at speeds? It seems like it would just add drag.
    Now that the weather has turned cold again, my windshield rattle is back. Clearly, gasket thermal contraction!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It is the cowl in front of the windshield (under the windshield wipers). Just go to a good dealership, and have them do the revised TSB. You will not have a rattle after this is done.
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    I am a reporter with a major business daily and work on an auto feature. I'd like to talk with Toyota Rav 4-EV drivers about their experiences with the car. If you'd like to participate in this fun feature, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com. thanks
    Don't just talk about it. Go ahead and buy one. Then you may learn the meaning of the word "sucker".
    Thanks; that's exactly what the rattle was (cowl under windshield wipers). Glad they could fix it. Hope other folks with similar problem take heed.
  • charlieravcharlierav Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 RAV4 L. The whistling sound you think may be coming from the roof rack is actually a known TSB coming from the hood insulation. Bring it to your dealer for service, they'll fix it in about 5 minutes.
    Ah, thanks Charlie.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I got a quote for $21599.00 for 2003 RAV4 with 4WD, "L" package (no leather), ABS and moonroof. Plus the 1.9% for 36 months going on now. Good deal? Any words that RAV4 will be redesgined in 2004 or 2005? I heard one said there will be a midlife redesgine in 2004. I am not sure Toyota has any plan yet since they have the 2004 Lexus RX330 and 2004 Toyota Sienna coming out in spring.
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    I paid about the same for my 2003 RAV4, but mine was the automatic 2WD with the S package, moonroof, and alloy wheel. Check invoice price under New Car section. Then you should pay that plus up to $500 for it. You are getting a great rate, Toyota was not offering that rate when I bought my RAV4. 4.73% for 5 years, but I will pay it off in 3. So in the end, it should be lower rate. Toyota went through 5 years cycle for the last generation RAV4, so the next redesign should appear as the 2006 model year.
    Those are competitive numbers. I paid almost the same for my AWD, ABS non-L RAV4.
    Thanks guys! My wife is looking for the RAV4. She think this is cute. She doesn't like CR-V. I like CR-V better because its EX model cost about the same as RAV4. It is slightly larger than RAV4. And many features (options on RAV4) are standard on CR-V. Anyway, she like the RAV4 more. I already got my Kia Sorento. Two SUVs for a family?! BTW, is the current version of RAV4 start in 2001 model and it should be redesigned in 2005?
    Well just think of the RAV4 as a taller Corolla/Matrix. The RAV4 is a car base SUV built on the same platform as those two cars. Your Sorento is on a ladder frame plateform like trucks and most larger SUV. The RAV4 also drink gas like cars. In fact, it is the best gas mileage SUV in the US. You should see a big different at the gas pump on the two SUVs. Lot of people complain about Toyota in general about their options. Where as Honda includes everything is two or three trim levels, Toyota has these option packages that sometime are not available in different area of the country. Like you could not find RAV4 with ABS in California. If Toyota go with a 5 year design plan like the last generation RAV4, the 2006 RAV4 should be showing up at the dealers in the middle to the end of 2005.
    totalnet - Thanks for your comments. This guy quoted me $215??.00 for "L" package (no leather), auto, 4WD, ABS, and moonroof, with the latest 1.9% for 36 months. Anyway that I may push it for little more. Indeed, my wife will drive the Accord at least for months. We are not shopping for any new cars yet because I just got a Sorento. She thinks the RAV4 is cute and easy to handle. Someone mentioned the RAV4 will get a facelift or midlife restyle in 2004. Is anything on RAV4 that you would like to update or redesign? I found the elbow space is limited even compare with most compact cars. And the rear side-hinged door makes loading not quite easy. What do you think?
    I would change the cupholders for the rear passenger. If you have a 3rd person in the back, you gotta close the rear cupholder altogether (unless you want someone's shoes precariously close to your drink).

In the last gen. CR-V, the rear passengers get "pull out" cupholders from the doors. I would like to see something like that on the RAV4.
  • mjm16mjm16 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 RAV4 and heard that $500 rebates were offered in 2002. Am wondering if I should wait for possible incentives in 2003 before purchasing?
    Just saw commercial for Toyota in the San Francisco Bay Area. Toyota is offering 0% interest rate on most Toyotas, including the RAV4.

The 2003 RAV4s have $1000 factory rebate on some L and S packages.

Below is the link to my dealing on the purchase of my RAV4.

http://www.ravworld.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=312
  • amarillas1amarillas1 Member Posts: 1
    Dear Mcdawgg and ravenous....I have a 02 Rav4 bought in Jan of 02..I've had the vehicle back to the dealer 6 or 7 times and each time they fix the squeak it seems to move to another spot on the dash. It is coming from inside the car. The only thing that hasn't been done is to replace the windshield...any thoughts. I'm really digging my heels in with the dealer because the squeak was there when I bought the car and the sales person said they knew about the squeak but couldn't fix it until the car was purchased...Boy...did I learn a lesson !
    totalnet - I got another quote from a local dealer here in MA. It is $21900.00. With 4WD, ABS, moonroof, L package, Auto, spoiler, daytime running lights. In addition, there is no $198 doc. fee, costs of the plates plus sale tax. Good deal? He didn't mention 0% APR. But he did mentioned 1.9% for 36 months. Is the 0% APR regional?
    Yes, the 0% APR could be regional but it was coming from Toyota financing. I also found out that it was 0% for 24 months and 1.9% for 36 months. So it could be that they didn't offer the 0% for 24 months in your area.
    totalnet - Still a good deal without the 0% (only 1.9% here)?
    Amarillas - Here's my whole story and advice:

Had the rattle from day one on a 2001 (bought Nov 00) Rav. The first time, dealer said that other Ravs had the rattle and they would call the Toyota Tech line to find out what the fix was. They did the first fix, but the rattle eventually came back (not as bad, but still annoying). Then, I took it back (about Nov. 01), and the dealer said that Toyota had a new fix for the problem. They put on a new cowl and did some other things with the cowl area per a new TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Toyota. It has been PERFECT ever since. I would ask them to call Toyota tech line to get the latest TSB, and make sure they do it. Otherwise, go to a different dealer, because some dealerships are not just no good. This can be fixed. It could be something else rattling, I guess, but just "turn up the heat" on your dealer or go to another.

Good luck!
    Still a good deal as most outside financing like the one advertise here on Edmund is around 4%.
  • ycnycycnyc Member Posts: 7
    Just a couple of qs. for all Rav 4 owners. I am interested in purchasing a 2003 Rav 4 L auto but I am concerned about a couple of things. On another discussion, several people were saying that the Rav feels tipsy and is likely to tip, and that a rear end crash will be absorbed by the spare and will break the rear windshield. the only car I have driven is a Honda Civic. I have never driven an SUV. For those of you who went from a compact sedan to a Rav, was it a big difference? did this take much getting used to (as far as turning speed, and just overall feel of the car, I don't want to drive a car that feels like its going to fall over any minute)? I want a Rav because I hate sitting so low to the ground as I do in my Civic, and i want the same type of reliability. Also, how is the gas mileage? I know it won't be as good as my Civic but I don't want to spend tons of money on gas either.
  • edllkfedllkf Member Posts: 2
    I bought this 2003 RAV-4 last October, and had this problem that dealer keep saying, " just got use to it"
    My RAV-4 PROBLEM : on S.F. Bay area, there is Hywy-24 from Oakland to Walnet Creek& IT has some section of VERY rough surface freeway with speed above 70-75 mph : Very Bounpy (Up & down motion on freeway speed on rough surface & on bad bumps : it seemed like no shock absorber that impact force to those bad bumps is like crash impact + floating motions *, all these add up to made the RAV-4 VERY UNSTABLE & Unsafe & feel like riding the horse.
    I have driven cars for 30 years, and I have driven the same Hywy 24 everyday to commute to work (95 miles per day) for 9 years. My other cars like 93 Honda Accord, 94 Acura Intergra, my former cars : 84 Maxima & 83 Civic + 74 VW Beetle had all driven on Hywy 24, and I never feel such horrible bounpy experience.
      Any one can tell me how to fight to get dealer to solve that problerm & complaint to the
    consumer protection agency for lemon car ?? What is the website for those consumer affair/ protection group ? I had visit the City Toyota- (DALY CITY)dealer servie dept 3 times & wait there for hours & got turn back for that is normal, "just got use to it "!!
    The Rav is the MOST stable of the SUV's. It is the least tipsy of the SUV's (of course it is more tipsy than a small sedan, but that's physics). A rear end impact does lots of damage (just like the CRV, etc.) but it absorbs the impact well and is safe. That's what insurance is for - to cover the damage. The Rav is just as cheap as many small sedans to insure.
    It won't take you any time at all to get used to - take one for a test drive. Gas mileage - 25.3 mpg winter gas, 70% highway miles. As for the so called "bouncy" ride - I have no complaints - slightly more bouncy than a sedan, but it is a small SUV. I test drove it a lot before I bought it, and thought it was fine. Tire pressure may be too high? Other than that, it is normal!
    totalnet - Just looked at the Toyota website in Hong Kong (www.crown-motors.com). There are some accessories for RAV4, chrome grille, front bumper spoiler, etc. I wonder someone in west coast is importing these nice accessories. I assume they are Toyota factory accessories.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    This is the same issue a lot of people have reported that have bought a mini-ute for the first time, after driving nothing but cars. This vehicles is higher than regular sedans, and has a stiff sporty suspension, so it will bounce some on bad freeway sections, but that is normal, and again I find it surprising you did not notice this when you went to test-drive the car?

If you are not satisfied with the dealer and you find yourself out Walnut Creek way on a daily basis, try using Walnut Creek Toyota - their service department is the best in the Bay, bar none. Plus they are open until midnight in the week. But you may find that your vehicle is truly operating in the manner it is supposed to.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

This may have already been covered here. But just in case:

RAV4 tops the list for Small Sport Utility Vehicles in the most-recent Consumer Reports listing, edging into the excellent column on the bar graph (the only one of the 13 compared to do so).

It is a paid-subscription site, and I don't want to try to link it, but the magazine can often be found in local libraries. I'm not sure what month's issue it is, but they are pretty well-indexed for preceding months in the back of each issue.

You could even (gulp) buy a copy.

There are a lot of people here on this site that berate CR, but they haven't come up with any better source for such info. So, you guys, please hold your fire. Thank you and god bless.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    With the RX330 just being introduced, and the Highlander spinning off that new platform in a year or two, I hope Toyota grows the Rav a bit for the next generation. I can see the next Highlander growing a bit, adding a third row seat and dropping the 4 cylinder. That leaves room for the Rav to grow, get the Highlander's more powerful 4, and hopefully lose the side-opening rear door/external spare combo. A more powerful AWD Matrix can fill in at the bottom end. Good strategy, Toyota?
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Had a chance to drive a friend's 2002 RAV yesterday for an extended period of time, both in the city and on freeway. Although the ride was reasonably comfortable, I was very disappointed by the light steering, and didn't quite find it fun to drive, as claimed by Consumer Reports. My expectation was for a firmer, more weighted steering. The often mentioned cowl rattle was also present, which I assume could be fixed by a TSB.