Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    if your demo was prepped "right." Often the tires are over-inflated for shipping to avoid flat spots, but the usual complaint is that the ride is rough, not that the steering is light.

Maybe you should take another one out for a spin just to confirm (assuming you liked most everything else about the SUV).

Steve, Host
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Thanks for the suggestion, Steve, will check out one again. This wasn't a demo, but belonged to a friend who was visiting from out of town. Can excessive tire pressure give the steering a lighter feel, I wonder. The ride wasn't rough, but a little jittery, not uncomfortable.
  • junglist1junglist1 Member Posts: 2
    Am considering purchasing a 4WD RAV4, but didn't realize that the 4WD was on all the time. Is this really worth it? Since there is no indicator how do you know if something goes wrong with the 4WD system? Does the 2WD provide enough traction on snow and ice? How does the 4WD RAV compare to the CRV?

Also, got dealer quote for 20,900 on "L" pkg w/4WD, Keyless entry, Al. wheels and roof rack (this includes destination fee) is this a good price?

Any insight is much appreciated.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    junglist1 - I want to see if I also have a good deal. Here in MA: RAV4 4WD, auto, L package, ABS, moonroof, spoiler for $21599.00 (dest. fee included) plus $198 doc. fee. An 0% APR (was 1.9%) for 36 months. I am still thinking. I believe I have a good deal. Anyway I can push it for more??
  • moondogguy1moondogguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I've talked to three different dealers who all say that Toyota doesn't make RAV4s with 4-wheel drive, the Quick Order package, and ABS. They say I have to either take the 2-wheel drive to get both the Quick Order package and ABS or I have to upgrade to the L-package if I want both 4-wheel drive and the ABS. I live in the Chicago area. Is this information correct?
  • moondogguy1moondogguy1 Member Posts: 3
    A local dealer stated the invoice price on a RAV4 I was interested in and it was a couple of hundred dollars more than the invoice price given for the same vehicle on the Edmund's site. Is Edmund's correct or is the dealer just try to make their price look better?
    The extra was a regional ad fee? That varies (usually no more than 1% of MSRP though).

Steve, Host
  • mathtypemathtype Member Posts: 33
    It surprises me to hear that users of a Toyota board would berate Consumer Reports (post #890). Toyota makes exactly the kinds of cars that CR loves. In fact, the April 2003 issue rates the RAV4 as the best small SUV (as far as I know, the only publication to rank it ahead of the CR-V and Forester) and also calls it one of the "most influential" cars of the last fifty years (for being the first car-based SUV). As for the latter, it's in pretty good company: BMW 2002, Corvette, Mustang, Beetle, and the like.
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    I was actually in Hong Kong for the past two weeks. Anyway, these kits are factory kits from Toyota. There is a website that imports these from Japan. They do cost a pretty penny.

http://store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/rav4l.html
    totalnet - Thanks for the info. They are pertty pricy.
  • gumpgumpgumpgump Member Posts: 2
    Totalnet: I was choosing from CRV, X-trail and Rav4. They are all for display in an exhibition centre in Tianjin and will be replaced by the 04models in May(so I can get them very cheap). My friend further shortlisted for me to Xtrail and Rav but I still found it difficult to compare cuz there isn't Xtrail in the US. I guess u may know Xtrail(Nissan made and sold out US) since u were from HK. Both cars are luxury trim and the Rav has more factory made kit with it(for display) and is 14000 HKD more expensive than Xtrail.

My heart tells me to go for the Rav since it looks really cool in blue and all the kits on. Still my head tells me to go for the Xtrail since it is larger/more powerful(2.5l) and pracical. Can you give me some suggestion please? I need to make a decision in two days. Thanks

BTW, I live in Shanghai.
    I really live in the US, but as I said in a message before that I just came back from Hong Kong. Nissan does not sell the Xtrail here in the US. Nissan only has the Xterra here, which is a totally different vehicle than the Xtrail.

I can't say what your needs are. When I was doing my car shopping, the main reason I choose the RAV4 was the look and good price I got on it. There are lot more SUVs with more power and larger side than the RAV4 in the US. Having driven a 3L V6 and 4L V8 cars before the RAV4, I have not feel the lost of power as I would have expected. I end up saving alot on fuel cost. I feel the quality of both Toyota and Nissan are very good, having own 3 Toyota and 3 Nissan.

I am asumming that you are going to keep it for a long time. You must feel good driving and not have second thought about your decision. Also, how are traffic in Shanghai? Having been in Hong Kong and Guangzhou, they some time can get pretty bad. But I can say the same thing for the San Francisco Bay Area.
    totalnet - Did he mention the redesign 2004 RAV4 due in May? Maybe for Japan or Asian countries only (even European). US always gets it a year late. I believe there could be a facelift for 2004. If Toyota redesign the model every 5 years, why they get a facelift on 2003 model instead of 2004? Well, beside the "S" package (2003 model) with raised hood and new grille.
  • gumpgumpgumpgump Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to totalnet. Still a hard call for me. I might flip a coin to decide it. Anyway I don't think I will go wrong with any of them.

The 04 models of Japaness cars should arrive in China only in June, my friend told me. And there might not be too much changes for the compact SUVs, as far as the dealers know. And if it is only a facelift, I think the Rav is already cool enough.
    If Toyota stick with the 7 years cycle like the first generation RAV4, it going to be a facelift. I think the first generation RAV4 had a facelift in the 4 year of it's life cycle. Since all RAV4 are made in Japan, the US will get pretty much the same RAV4. Of course I heard Toyota is thinking of moving the production of RAV4 for North America to Canada.
  • mckee4mckee4 Member Posts: 47
    My wife and I just purchased a 2003 RAV4 Spectra Mica Blue with Quick Order Pkg., moonroof, and extra stuff added by P.O.E. and dealer. We got
    a cash price of $20.5K. MSRP was $22.6K. We went
    trought Fleet Sales and effectively got invoice
    + $200.00 over.

My wife had her heart set on a white Sport model which was listed in the dealer inventory but was actually not. We would've had to wait for another
    to come in or special order and wait for several
    more months. However, she was determined to get
    something and she liked the blue color anyway. All in all the Sport Package didn't make a big difference to her either.

Toyota seems to like piling on a lot of extras
    at the Port of Entry and dealership. We wanted
    some of the extras but others we did't, so we negotiated discounts or no cost on stuff we did and didn't want. The dealership even threw-in
    window-tinting for free.

The process, even with the fleet-sales, was too long compared with our last vehicle purchase. Something the dealership/Toyota should work on.

The RAV4 is perfect for my wife because she wanted
    small(er) and high(er) without extra largesse in
    the vehicle. She enjoys driving it immensely
    and has a reasonably high seat position. She
    has bad arthritis and this was definitely a factor
    getting in and out of any vehicle. Out of all of
    small-utes we tested the RAV4 fit her best.
    She effectvely can slide in and out of the seat
    with no problem w/o stooping or bending too much.

I've driven the RAV4 myself and was impressed
    with the overall quality and drivability. Wish
    it had another 40-50 HP though. It'd be a hoot
    to scoot around in then. My Ford Escape has
    201 HP and never feels winded, but I pay in less
    gas mileage too. The first fill-up on the RAV4
    averaged 24 MPG city with a little hwy. mileage.
    Not bad and I expect that may go up a little.
    totalnet - I think we had the last generation of RAV4 for only 5 years (from 97 to 00). And maybe 6 years for Japan when it's debut in Japan in 1996. Was it in 1995 in Japan? Anyway, is Toyota planning to stick with 7 years cycle? I can see what they did on the Sienna, 4Runner and Land Cruiser. On the other hand, they pretty much stick with 4 years cycle on Carmy and Corolla. We even see they debut their new year model 6 months earlier most auto markers, like Sienna, RX330 and current model of Corolla.

mckee4 - Thanks for sharing this. My wife is planning to trade her Accord for RAV4. She loves the styling and fun to drive. We are not ready to buy yet because I recently bought a SUV. $$$ issue!! But the deals that I've got have been great with very good price and low APR. I think Toyota will put only 20 more power horsepower (16? hp) if they have plan to redesign it, just try to compete with CR-V.
    lok888,

Found out on a RAV4 site that the first gen RAV4 came out in 1994, so my first message about the model year was wrong. I think Toyota does 4 years ccyle on high volumn cars like Camry and Corolla. As much as I like the RAV4, it doesn't sell as much as those two models.
  • ravenousravenous Member Posts: 13
    Got 27, 30, and 31 MPG from Baton Rouge, LA to Dallas, TX. (2003 RAV 2WD Sport Package, purchased 12/31/02). No complaints there. But I must admit that seat positions/arm rests leave a lot to be desired on a trip of any length. Not something I really paid attention to on the test drive!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've done 10-hour trips in my '01 RAV.
    No comfort problems, even with my tricky back.

I guess your comfort may vary.
  • taki89taki89 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where I might get the drivers seat cover for the 2002 Rav4. I have called Toyota. They are no help as they contract out that work. They cannot/will not give me the subcontractor. They have no kits available for this model and do not expect any in the near future.I've been to auto upholsterers and auto accessory stores without success This is a leased vehicle....Does anyone know where I might get this item? Any help will be appreciated...Please don't tell me about duct tape..lol
  • skipper53skipper53 Member Posts: 12
    Try this website. It appears that they have the seatcovers available...

http://www.romaniatoyotaparts.com/rav41.html

I have had good experience in dealing with them.
    Good luck!
  • ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    i am thinking to buy a 2003 RAV4, a little confused with the $1000 discount for option
    packages, is it already included in the
    Edmunds' MSRP and Invoice prices?

thanks!
    The discount is included in the MSRP listed by both Edmunds and Toyota. So with Toyota's price, it $800 off the invoice price. If the options are bought seperately. Which I think Edmunds has included for the invoice price.
    would anybody know when the next Toyota sales event will happen this year in Southern California
    area?

thanks!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    they do 'em on all the major holidays, so it won't be any longer than Memorial Day...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• robblesrobbles Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone! I'm new to participating to the town hall, though have been reading it for some time. A great resource!
    We just purchased a used 2002 4WD base with Quick Order package, roof rack, mud flaps, and key less entry. Mileage: 16,500. Paid $17,900. I think we did well. Do you agree?
    We've been agonizing over getting one for over a year. We were going to go for a 2WD, but this one showed up and we pounced on it. Looked at Tributes, but were scared of reliability. Liked the CRV, but not the styling as much. We were loaned a new 2WD for a weekend, and that clinched it. The 4WD seems slightly less peppy and nimble, but it is not significant.
    Unfortunately, since it was detailed so well at the dealership where we bought it, I was not aware till a few days later that the previous owner was a smoker (buyer beware!). I've put in a couple of Yankee Candle Car Jars (hanging scent things), as well as using a spray called Febreze. I'm hoping the combination, along with a few more applications will do it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks
  • autowormautoworm Member Posts: 1
    Certified vehicles are good! But I am kinda lacking confidence on a certified vehicle which had a serious accident before? Checked out a certified Toyota RAV4, but found out that it involved in a serious accident two year ago. Tell me that I am overconcerned.
    When buying from any dealer, always ask for the Carfax report for the car you are looking at. Most dealers subscribe to Carfax anyway.
  • robblesrobbles Member Posts: 4
    totalnet,

I'm not sure which post you are referring to, but I did get the CarFax report on the 2002, and it checked out 100%. And most dealers will give you the info for free.
  • uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    I used to detail used cars for a Ford dealership. Febreze masks the smells for days or maybe 2 weeks tops. The solution for you if a thorough cleaning of the carpet and seats doesn't do the job, is to replace the headliner and carpet - probably a $300+ expense. You might find somebody in a dealer's (doesn't have to be Toyota) bodyshop who does this on Saturdays in his home driveway. My Mother had a new headliner put in her beautiful gigantic '84 Olds 98, by just such a guy. Looks and smells like new.
  • user7user7 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced any maintenance problems or issues that might lead to recalls with the 2001 or newer Toyota RAV4? The particular problem I am experiencing is clunking noises from the breaks engaging when you switch the automatic gear from reverse to drive or vise versa. I took the car to two local dealers, but both of them claim they can hear the noise but that it is normal and don't need any repairs? Is this right? Other friends who have this exact model RAV4 don't have this noise problem.

Thanks for any help.
    User7
  • rav4manrav4man Member Posts: 21
    yes, if you paid $17,900 before tax you did not
    pay too much, about retail. you could get a new
    2003 as you equipped for about $19,800 plus tax
    if the dealer is honest. I personally went through the same delimma, new vs used. The problem is used 2001-2002 rav 4's dealers and private parties keep the prices up, but they do sell. very high resale value on these things.

if the $17,900 was out the door including sales tax, you got an excellent price.

I ended up buying new. Reason is I knew where it had been (from factory), recieved full 36,000 mi
    warranty (worth a lot to me), did not have to worry about smokers or hidden damage. But I did
    pay more for new I agree.

I want to everyone about my friends experience.
    My young blonde friend went in alone,
    She went to Grand Rapids dealer, they did not have the vehicle, would not quote a firm price,
    wanted her to sign agreements to buy without seeing the car. Just wanted $100 on her charge card so they could get the car here. would not talk to me about price. I sent her to Lansing
    MI Spartan Toyota. Kathleen there gave a no nonsense bottom line price which blew away the Grand Rapids prices, plus they have a huge inventory. She waited while they prepped it and drove it home on a Saturday afternoon. Wow, I love Spartan Toyota E Lansing !

Then Grand Rapids Dealer called her, she explained she bought over the weekend, salesman
    got upset (probably because he lost a huge commission) and told her he would not refund her $100 because he had already ordered a car.

It took calls to manager to agree to not do that.
    Just poor business. PS She has the same cowl/
    windshield rattle as mine did 6 months ago, so
    Toyota still has not fixed this small, stupid,
    simple fix problem. I cannot wait to borrow her car to do the felt/insulation, screw, fix, as I
    did on mine. Otherwise, her car is also perfect.

If anyone is concerned about rav4 construction
    quality, do not be. This is the real job#1 quality
    built vehicle.
    just wondering if anybody got their 2003 model
    RAV4 at close to $1000 below invoice in Southern
    california area recently?
    it seems to me it is doable.
    hi all,

this site has been silent for a while, here is something new!
    i just bought a new RAV4 for my wife in S.CA.
    2003 RAV4 L package titannium color with sunroof, rear spoiler, keyless entry,roof rack and alloy wheels, paid $21600 including fees.
    my wife loves the small baby!
    thanks everybody in this forum for the valuable
    infos!
    Did that price include taxes too?

Steve, Host
    I'd say you did quite well. Hope you enjoy "The Baby" (our nickname for it, too!) as much as we have. Did you get a 5-speed? We did and love the acceleration.

On another front, I think I'm hearing the famous windshield rattle again, folks. Can I tighten the cowl myself and save another trip to the dealer? I see some bolts near the wipers. Are they the ones to tighten?
    Thanks.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    FWD or AWD?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

i got a FWD automatic, i heard the windshield rattle and loud engine the first time i drove it,
    i guess that is the way it is according to this
    forum's feedback...
    also, it comes with the dunlop tires, was hoping
    to get the Toyo ones, not sure which one is better.
    My 2003 Rav came with dunlops. They sometimes
    seem a little squirley when wet, could just be me.

My only experience with toyo was a new datsun I
    had, came with toyo tires. They wore like iron.
    I retired it with toyos. They are an excellent tire. I would select toyo over dunlop if I had that choice.
    I did not know toyota is using them.

This week my new American Racing chrome alloy wheels ($357 for 4 were on sale, go on sale periodically) plus yokohama geolander tires
    (at $95 apeice installed) from the sears retail tire store. Looking forward to see if I get a ride/traction improvement, will let the board know. This leaves me with a set of steel wheels
    and dunlops for winter or whatever.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I don't believe tightening the fasteners will help. I hear it's a foam thing.

Sounds like dealer time.
    exactly right. needs more felt and foam insulation on the brackets supporting the black
    windshield cowl. you cannot see this from the exterior of car. need to remove screws to get to this. it really is an easy thing to do.
  • edllkfedllkf Member Posts: 2
    My RAV4 ,WHEN it is NEW TO 3000 miles had serious bounpy problems on rough surfaces roads includes freeway above 40 mph, 3 times to toyota delears & they said that is normal , just get used to it.
       My friends said that is not normal, suggest dealers to get at least tire balancing but the City Toyota at Daly city decline. I have suffer for 5 months on that problem, now it is 4500 miles & it is better on higher speed 70-75 mph, but still dips & vibrates on lower speed like ~ 45-60mph on rough surface roads. Anyone had any problems like that ?? I test drive another new RAV-4 on freeway & I don't feel that problem.
    But that City Toyota dealer refused to do anything ABOUT IT, any help or suggestion ?? Is the TOYO tire really too hard & causing the harsh/rough bounpy ride ?
    I suppose you've checked tire pressure? My Dunlops take about 29 PSI.
    Mine does fine on interstates, but rough roads do make for a bouncy ride, no question. Also some elevated freeways and overpsses (seams between sections perhaps are uneven).
    But the word "vibrate" does not describe my experience (except for the much-discussed and easily remedied windshield rattle). "Dip," "bounce," yes. I can only assume you've been on much rougher terrain than I have. The RAV ain't a Hummer.
    Hope this helps. Perhaps others have more data.
    A minor consideration, I admit, but I can't seem to find a litter bag or waste can that fits well in the RAV. Anybody?
  • caseycwcaseycw Member Posts: 11
    I have a small plastic trash bucket made for cars to go over the center drive hump. The bottom is curved and has spikes to keep it in place. Works pretty well. It is a few years old, but got it at some discount store and have seen others around. Might try that. I have mine in front of the back seat, behind the console on that hump.
    Thanks. I have one of those type trash buckets also; was trying to come up with a more convenient location for it. But I imagine reaching back a little won't kill me!
    totalnet - Thanks for your info earlier. I think I am closer to buy one. But I do have a question. Maybe you and someone can help me.

Toyota is offering 1.9% APR for 36 months for the RAV4 and most Toyota vehicles, plus $300 manufacturer to dealer incentive (may be combined with special APR offer). One dealer offers $300 over invoice for any RAV4. Is this a good deal? I quoted earlier from other dealer for $21599 plus 198 doc. fee for 4WD, Auto, "L" package, ABS, and rear spoiler. Am I also taking an advantage of this $300?
    not sure which state you are in, here
    in CA you can get it below invoice as i did
    (refer to my earlier post).
    wondering what is your invoice price?
    I think my price is close to yours. I am also looking for the same car with the same equipments: 4WD, Auto, "L" package, ABS, sunroof and rear spoiler. But I got this quote properly two months ago.

What seems to be a problem with the windshield noise? People said this is no more than a trip to service department to tighten some screws. But Toyota knows about it and nothing has been done about it.