Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    Well, following our April snow showers, I finally had time to take the Alpins off and put the SO-3s back on. Much better.

Nothing like dropping the clutch at 4000 and not feeling the tires hop. The SO-3s made me realize that, with the stock rubber, the Prelude's acceleration was primarily limited by traction and not torque...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Well, it appears that my poor Prelude fell victim to a senseless (and cruel) act of vandalism last night by an unscrupulous individual. Somebody was nice enough to leave 2 beautiful key marks that zig zag from head light to headlight across my hood. Lovely isn't it?

I was planning to polish (Klasse) my Prelude this weekend, but it is going to be another rained out weekend. Maybe sometime Sunday is supposed to be nice.

So sometime next summer I'm going to be in each of you necks of the woods. I'll be venturing to the Detroit Metro area for the first time when my friend who lives in Bloomfield Hills (or somewhere near there) gets hitched. I also have a friend who just got engaged the other day who's fiancee's family is from the Syracuse area (her Dad is the Mayor of some town & owns a car wash up there).

Sphinx99: Don't get me started on Volvos. All I have to say is "be afraid, be very afraid." The seats are comfortable though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    When you visit we'll have to have lunch.

I'm sorry to hear about the tragic and heartless attack on your innocent Prelude. How deep is it?

The Volvo was returned and the Prelude too has returned. The shop did an outstanding job--the finish is perfect. The car is so much more alive than the Volvo, dynamically. That said, there are two features from the Volvo that I suddenly miss. One is the aforementioned seats--they are truly incredible. In retrospect, they may be the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Yes, that Mercedes CL500 did have more ways to adjust them, and I know some high-line luxury cars have ventilated seats, but this one just seemed... perfect.

The other thing I missed was the fuel economy digital readout--both instantaneous as well as average economy. These were surprisingly useful. Once I noticed them I found my driving habits changing (rather abruptly!) as though I were playing a game on the way to work, trying to see if I could set a new MPG high. I have a feeling that had this little electronic gizmo been in my Prelude, I'd be getting 5mpg more just to driving more... economically. This will be a must-have feature in my next car, no matter how big its engine is.
  • kimmeelynnkimmeelynn Member Posts: 1
    Hey!
    I'm selling my beloved '95 Prelude SE. She's in great shape (new tires, new brakes, new exhaust, MINT condition). 61,000 miles, leather, alarm, automatic. Located in the Fort Lauderdale area. Please email Kimmeelynn@yahoo.com for more info and pics. Asking $9000
    So the scratches on the hood aren't as deep as they could be. I got my car cleaned this morning, then polished the car with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and waxed it with Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax. I filled in the scratches for the most part (you can still see them under direct light). The rest of the car came out awesome. The Red is once again deep and lustrous. I swear the car is more responsive when it is clean (this happen to anybody else?).

One thing I did notice is that it takes our H22A Powerplant quite a while to cool down. I polished the decklid, spoiler, trunk, rear end, then had breakfast for 30 minutes, did the roof, and the reast of the body panels and the hood was still too hot to polish. I left it up for about 30 minutes and it finally cooled down enough for me to polish and wax.

I have a bottle of Klasse All In One up at my parents' house somewhere but couldn't find it (I've only used it maybe twice). So I went and bought the above mentioned Meguire's. It was easy to use and gives a great shine.

Sphinx99: Those little trip computers are great. It is probably the one feature I miss most from my Saab. Avg fuel economy is a cool one to play with (along with Avg speed), but my favorite (and definitely a guy thing) is the Distance To Empty readout.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Interesting - the distance-to-empty display was the one that scared me, actually. I'd imagine that it would make more over-confident about how much fuel I have left. With the Prelude (and with the S2k for that matter) once the car started saying 'empty' you still had three or four gallons left to go. With the Volvo, when distance-to-empty became zero, I went to a gas station literally two or three miles after and put a little over 14 gallons into a car that only has a 16 gallon tank. Kind of scary.

Too bad the Prelude isn't like my sister's Civic EX. She gets close to 40mpg. Moreover she only drives a handful of miles to work each day, so she literally refuels once a month. If you ask her when was the last time she got gas, a confused look appears on her face and she starts talking about previous months and holidays in an effort to remember. It's crazy.

Prelude truly does grab attention when polished nicely - since it came out of the shop (nice detail job) I just notice a lot of heads turning. As for the perception of the car being more responsive when clean, I feel the same way and I think it's psychological. I think what happens is that I put in a huge effort cleaning up the car (say, four to six hours) after which my muscles are kind of worn out. Then I take the car for a drive and the car "feels" responsive because now it's moving without my limbs having to do much other than turn the wheel and press a pedal. I say this because I notice the same thing when driving home from the gym after a hard workout--the car simply feels like it's gliding more, accelerating harder, pivoting more gracefully and doing so with less noise.

Here's a basic question: when shifting, should I depress the clutch pedal *all* the way down? I find that I can shift if I push down the pedal only halfway or so, so I just do that - I can fire off quicker shifts that way. Don't know if it's healthy...
    The fact that the Civic gets close to 40 mpg is cool, but I'll take the Prelude's extra 73 horsepower, 42 lb/ft of torque, and much better (to say the least) suspension. The Prelude's gas mileage is more than acceptable to me given the car's performance. I hear that Lexus IS300 owners get awful gas mileage with the I6 (15-16mpg City).

The Distance To Empty readout is an approximation based on what the computer thinks you've got to go based on your driving style and the amount of fuel left in the tank. When my Saab read 0 miles to empty I could still drive another 3-4 miles.

Push that clutch all the way to the floor. It may seem like a little extra work, but I believe it is less wear on the clutch itself.

himiler comments?

I'm tired of hearing the stock tires screech and squeal. New tire time.

Tirerack has S03s in 205/50/16 for $138 each plus $30 in shipping - about $600. I really don't want the expense of a different set of rims (what are good light rims, $300+ a piece?!) and the stock ones look fine.

Will I need an alignment done with these tires? What is the process I should follow with the Prelude?

From owners of this tire (himiler or blacktalon? I know one of you has these), what do you think of this review from tirerack:

Vehicle: 2001 Honda Prelude
    Driving Style: Average
     Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
    Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 7.00 out of 10
    Review Submitted 2002-12-26

These tires must be part bloodhound, because they hunt all over the road for every rut and groove, despite the fact that my car has a Quaife LSD. When warm, dry traction is prodigious, but watch out for uneven breakaway once the limit is reached. Not much good on wet pavement, but resistant to hydroplaning. Ride can be somewhat harsh and noisy, depending on road surface. Wear is excellent for tire type. Overall, an excellent tire, but I may have been expecting too much from it. I was much more satisfied with the overall performance of the Dunlop SP 5000 -- although its an all-season with with less ultimate dry grip, it rode and handled better in the wet and dry, and offers more reassuring performance at the limit.

Also, is there anything that can be done with the stock tires that have < 20k miles on them? Junk? Can they be sold for pennies to someone in need? Should they be kept around? (Don't know how I'd store 'em but....)

Any thoughts would be welcomed...
    Have any of you upgraded either your brake pads or brake lines? What was your experience?
    I have SO-3s in the stock 205/50-16 size, mounted on the stock rims. I have the local NTB do the changeover between the Alpins and the SO-3s. This includes mounting and balancing. The first time for any set of tires, this costs about $75, but includes lifetime balancing, so subsequent changeovers are only $28.

That reviewer's experience is very different from mine. My SO-3s provide excellent handling on both wet and dry surfaces. There is a slight, but noticeable, tendency to follow grooves, but nothing that I find objectionable.

I've only put a few thousand miles on the SO-3s, so it's possible this could change with more wear, but I found the other (very positive) reviews of the tire much more in line with my experience.

I haven't upgraded my brakes -- the stock brakes work great, especially with the SO-3s -- so I can't comment about that...
    Store Locator
     Sorry ... no NTB locations were found within 100 miles of Zip code 48375.
    What's going on? I just ran my Prelude SH through Edmunds' appraiser and got this:

2001 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Type SH Coupe
    Trade-In Private Party Dealer Retail
    National Base Price $16,446 $18,246 $19,907
    Optional Equipment $0 $0 $0
    Color Adjustment
    Silver $73 $81 $88
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 48375 $99 $109 $119
    Mileage Adjustment
    20,000 miles $406 $406 $406
    Condition Adjustment
    Outstanding $695 $731 $817
    Total $17,719 $19,573 $21,337

Certified Used Vehicle $21,987

It wasn't nearly that high a few months ago.
    I've always thought the TMV on edmunds is way off. A good way to get the value of your car is by looking through the online and local ads and seeing how much peoiple are asking. A good board here in TH is the REAL WORLD TRADE IN VALUES. There are a few guys there who work at or own their own used car dealerships and go to auctions. Their info is more accurate than TMV.

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    That's my review from TireRack. My tires are mostly shot by now, but I've managed to put close to 33K miles on them (mostly highway, with frequent, brief bursts of very aggressive cornering).

The dry grip and response gets better as they near the wear bars, but the wet traction has gone away (thank goodness for my LSD).

I like the cornering grip, but the noise on all but new, very smooth pavement has grown tiresome. I think I'll be running a set of Dunlop SP9000's next -- they give up some dry grip but wear a bit better, are sharper in the wet, and offer better NVH qualities. They're also 40% cheaper than the S-03.

What to do with your RE-92's? You might be able to negotiate a deal with whatever shop will be mounting and balancing your new tires to get a credit for them ($25 a tire might be a good deal). You might even be able to trade them even-up for the tire swap charges. Worth a try -- the worst thing anyone can say is "no."

Don't be afraid to use one of the recommended installers on the TireRack Website. They're always a safe bet. Get the 4-wheel alignment, too, since you want to get all the use possible from the tires you just paid for.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Latest Kelley Blue Book on a 2001 Prelude is actually lower than Edmunds, oddly enough (usually it's higher) . I think TMV is pretty good for "real money" transactions (actual selling prices). I did a quick check in the Bay Area and found 3 '01 Preludes, all claimed excellent for $18.5, 19K and 20.5K. (check out www.craigslist.com) Possibly if yours were truly superb you could squeeze that extra $1K that TMV says. For higher than that, you'd have to do extra warranty and financing I would think.

If someone offered you that $21.9K TMV, I'd be inclined to suggest you take it.
  • prelude1997prelude1997 Member Posts: 26
    Can anyone suggest a good shop for service in DC/MD area? I'm in Olney. Thanks!!
  • kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    prelude1997 - Get the heck outta here...I live in Olney too! Talk about a small world. Anyway, I get my car serviced at a shop in Laurel called Vipre Automotive (www.vipreauto.com). They do good, quick work and don't charge too much. If that's too much out of the way, I've been generally pleased with the work done at Graeves Auto in Olney (behind the McDonald's), though I've never taken my Prelude there.

BTW, what kind of Prelude do you drive (color, trim)? I have a white 99 base. If I see you around town I'll flash my lights or something.
  • prelude1997prelude1997 Member Posts: 26
    Hey Ken, mine is black, base. I've got lightly tinted windows and a spoiler. I live off of Olney Mill.

I used to take my car to Graeves, but the last time they used an impact wrench on my wheel locks. They were on so tight that I broke my "key" when I tried to take them off. I ended up spending $200 cutting them off and replacing the nuts. I will check out Vipre. Thanks neighbor!
    I was poking around and found this review:
    http://www.drivechicago.com/reviews/display.asp?id=95&year=19- 99&make=Honda&model=Prelude+SH

The final two sentences sum it up so well!
    indeed.

While I'm definitely into cars as they come from the factory, there is definitely something to be said for tasteful & subtle modifications. This past Saturday I saw a 5th Gen Prelude that was painted a maroon color (It looked great) with some very nice looking (17" or 18") seven spoke (I think) wheels. The Altezza lights and taller than stock rear spoiler aren't my style, but to each his own.

I also saw a Civic that had what appeared to be S2000 tailights which I thought looked really cool compared to the usual Altezzas that seem to be the 'norm among the import tuner crowd.

With the Prelude freshly detailed yesterday morning, I experienced quite a bit of attention from the hopped-up 4-banger crowd. Unfortunately none were done up to my personal liking. I did see two 5th gen Preludes this weekend (a rarity--I hardly see one every other week if that), one was the electron blue with white racing stripes front to rear, white rims, and a big, fat blue body kit. Actually I kind of liked the color (the white stripes and white rims) but the huge aluminum wing destroyed the look. Oh well.

I just bought a pair of S03s! Report forthcoming next week sometime...
    Congrats on the SO-3s! Let us know what you think...
    sphinx -- If your S-03 experience is anything like mine, it'll feel like a whole new car.

It might take you a little bit to learn to trust the tires' grip, but once you do...well, have fun!
    My first car, a 1992 Chevy Beretta GT (hey, we were all young and stupid once) was white and came with white mesh sytle wheels. As a 16 year old, one of my favorite pastimes was cleaning my car and those damn wheels always took me an hour of scrubbing brake dust. I replaced the wheels with a set of 5 spoke American Racing wheels that made the car look so much better. I ended up using the white stock wheels with my Blizzaks. Let me just tell you, NEVER AGAIN will I own a car with white wheels.

Well, I dropped my Prelude off at the dealership this evening for its second oil change. While it is in I'm also having the tires rotated and it also seems my driver's side seat-belt doesn't retract all the way. They provided me with a Beige/Beige Accord LX (this one has some power stuff). I feel like I'm driving a Town Car. I got in the car and was looking for a clutch to start it...very strange these automatic transmissions are:)

I met my Mom for dinner. She also had her car serviced today. She was none too happy when she found out that I get an Accord when I service my Prelude and she gets a 4cyl (2.0) Jetta when she has her Audi A6 serviced:)

nyc -- My driver's side belt stopped retracting on its own at around 50K, so I have to "help" it roll back up. The passenger belt is still okay, though. Weak winder springs, I guess.
    So I picked the car up from the dealership today and the seat-belt is still the same (I can live with it, believe me). I remember my gas light going on before I pulled into the dealership yesterday. The trip odometer read 320. I picked it up and it read 325. I figured I can easily go until about 340-350 until I fill up next. WRONG! I drove from the dealership to my parents' house, then to a restaurant. Before pulling into the restaurant I needed to downshift to pass. I noticed that the car sputtered a little bit once the tach needle got around the 4K mark. After dinner I pulled out of the parking lot, drove about 1000 feet and the car stalled. I was able to turn around and then make it to about across the street from a gas station. Then NOTHING! Yep, for the first time ever I ran out of gas. I can't believe it! Luckily both my parents were getting gas at that gas station and my Dad and I pushed the car to safety and I filled up. The strange thing is that the car only took 14.672 gallons of gas. I thought we had a 15.9 gallon tank. Now granted I'm somewhat of a [non-permissible content removed] for letting the tank go so low, but there still was over a gallon in the tank.

I'm glad to get out of that Accord. The only thing I liked about it was that it soaked up bumps that my Prelude usually crashes over. I'll take the bumps as long as it comes with our Prelude's steering/suspension combo.

I saw the TSX at the NY Auto show a few months ago. I didn't care for the exterior styling much. The front looks like a Japanese A4 while the back looks like the previous generation Camry. I thought the interior was nice though.

CAR AND DRIVER (p81 July 2003) had some interesting things to say about the TSX as it compares to the Prelude.

"As far as handling characteristics, the TSX is reminiscent of the dearly departed Honda Prelude, a multiple 10Best winner and champion of our "Best Handling Car under $30,000" (June 1997). Each posses a point-and-shoot mentality that allows you to drive the snot out of it with little fear of getting bit in the [non-permissible content removed], and each inspires more confidence the faster and harder it's driven."

Have either of you gotten you hands on a TSX to see what it really drives like.

Reading excerps like that make me somewhat angry that once we sell our respective Preludes, we can never (never say never) own another. So enjoy your cars guys!

I've been interested in getting a TSX test drive for exactly that sort of reason. The problem is that I wouldn't give up the Prelude for it, so I don't want to waste an Acura salesperson's time. I do like the photos of the TSX's interior. Very warm, elegant. Prelude is dreary in comparison.
    I've driven both the MT and AT TSX. It's a decent drive with the MT, but it never really urges you to keep pushing it like the Prelude can.

There's a bunch of fore/aft pitching under hard braking/throttle, and the car feels much taller and heaver (which it is). I'm used to my LSD, so the TSX started understeering right away, and the tail could only be coaxed out with trail braking. It's very composed (read: heavy) feeling at 80MPH-plus, but the steering is a bit twitchy off-center and lacks feel. The ride over rough surfaces isn't much better than the Prelude, and the noise levels are pretty close (taking into account that I have a CAI).

The engine is nice, but it's no real improvement on the H22A4, and it doesn't rev as quickly or as high. Also, the power peak is closer to the redline than in the Prelude, which means more shifting. I live to shift, but it felt like I had to constantly keep shifting and pinning the gas pedal just to feel like I was getting anywhere. Throttle respones is good, as it should be in a 6-speed, but you really have to work the engine and tranny hard to stay "on boil." It became tedious after about 10 minutes.

The AT car is a dog. Feels like being attachted to the end of a tired rubber band that hasn't been pulled back far enough. You keep waiting and waiting, and then the car upshifts. With a V6, it would be the best Buick ever. Yawn.

The interior is a mixed bag: nice design overall with material quality matching that in the Prelude, but I don't like leather, and there's actually less head room than the Prelude (a bit more hip and shoulder room, though). The dash cowl is much higher than the Prelude, and visibility over the hood is non-existant -- I couldn't get the seat up high enough for my tastes. I felt like I was looking out of gun slits.

The TSX is a good value for the luxury bits -- dual-zone climate control! Just what you need in a car barely bigger than a Civic! -- but I don't get the ad copy which heralds it as "A new level of performance." Sorry, but the car barely meets the standard set by the '93 Integra GS-R.

The Prelude was one of a kind. The TSX is different, but doesn't compete with its intended competitors (325i, A4, IS300, C230, etc.). If I wanted a sports sedan, for a couple of thousand more than the TSX, I'd snag a G35 6MT of an off-lease 328/330i.
    The styling alone turned me off to the TSX. If I were looking for a Sports Sedan when the time comes, I'm heading straight to the BMW dealership. There's going to be a 325i (via European Delivery) in Munich with my name on it. I haven't driven one in about 4 years, but the last time I drove a 323is (E36) manual I remember the I6 engine pulling strongly especially after the 4K mark right up to the redline. Don't get me wrong, a 330 (with the extra power/torque) would be great, but the 325i seems to be somewhat of a bargain if you equip it somewhat lightly (not stripped, but not fully loaded) and go the Euro Delivery route.

Tonight was beautiful. I drove the Prelude down into the city with the roof open and the windows down. I expect the roads to be bad later when the 9:00 showing of 2Fast2Furious lets out:) so I'm in for the night. Besides, I've got to work tomorrow; 7:30AM sharp!

• carscoutcarscout Member Posts: 11
    Hi people, I am interested in buying my first car, I am 20 years old, and the Prelude is my first choice. After reviewing other Honda's and Acura's this is the best car for my money. So does anyone recommend it or maybe in other in its class? THanks I could really use the help.
    The Prelude is a wonderful car. For a 20 year old and even for those fogeys like those of us in our late 20's. What is your budget? Are you looking for a 5th Generation Prelude ('97-'01) or a 4th Generation ('92-'96)?

Get yourself a Prelude w/ a manual transmission. Even if you can't drive stick yet, you'll learn and you love it!

Here are just a few of the (many) things I love about my Milano Red 2001 Prelude Type SH: The car's handling is absolutely amazing. I take corners and exit ramps way faster than the posted speed limit. The steering is nicely weighted and transmits excellent road feel. The interior is nice anjd simple and typical high quality late 1990's Honda. I love the creased and angular lines of the Prelude. I love the fact you don't see too many Preludes on the road. Acceleration is good enough to get you into trouble. The car has a nice weight to it compared to other Sport Compacts (Eclipse, Integra) which give it a great highway ride. Did I mention the handling is incredible...

Himiler: Do you have a problem with your CAI in the rain/snow (driving through a large puddle or downpour)? It seems like a great modification to do (not that I'm looking to do any modifications...yet:). You can pick one up for less than $200.

No trouble whatsoever in the rain or snow with my CAI. It's a great mod that's really simple to DIY.

As long as you never drive thru standing water that is higher than the centerline ofthe front wheel, you'll be fine. Even if you do get into some slightly deeper stuff, as long as you keep the throttle closed, it's ok.

I bought mine from http://www.coximports.com

They're an honest shop, and ship quickly. Make sure you buy an AEM if you get one. (Mine's blue, but a polished one would be great with your red paint.)
    I too have been thinking about a CAI now that the Prelude is settling in as a long-term ownership vehicle.

Would you say that the effect is more or less pronounced between summer and winter, or is it roughly the same?
    I definitely got the idea (from manhy different boards) that AEM is the way to go with the CAI. Do you have the bypass valve? I'd like to get my hands on a Mugen exhaust, but they are mucho chavo (almost $1000 + installation). I don't even really care (too much) about the increased performance, but I hear the Mugen Exhaust is quieter than stock.

As for the Prelude, I went for a drive to a friend's place this afternoon and found myself alongside many econorockets with reving engines. I'm guessing they were all feeling 2 Fast and 2 Furious. With my Prelude freshly washed and waxed, I wasn't going to do anything but baby it today!

The new tires should be swapped in tomorrow or the day after, depending on when I can find time to take it in. I'm quite anxious to see what the effect is.

At the local Panera (bread/bakery place) I was with a friend at a table chowing down some soup and bread, and two almost obscenely cute young women at the table next two us were fawning about the silver Prelude parked out front, how they want a car like it, wondering about what kind of car it is, how much it might cost. I had the biggest grin on my face the entire time but I didn't say a thing. The only downer was when one of them said, "you know I think one of my friends has seen one before and said it was a Mitsubishi." EEK! The Mitsubishi Prelude! *sigh*

Oh well, it beats what I get from a lot of gas station attendants. "Sweet car man, what kind of Civic is that!?" In parts of the country where the Prelude is uncommon, it gets a *lot* of attention. It routinely turns heads of drivers in Boxsters, BMWs of all shapes and sizes, and every single one of the Cobras out there. The only drivers totally and completely unaffected by the Prelude's presence are Corvette drivers. Those guys (and gals) seem to be unaffected by anybody's presence. Must be that engine! I can envision a Z06 driver turning to the right, seeing a Ferrari, and saying, "eeeeh... it's not even a 11 second car."
    Well, It wouldn't be too bad if it had a Mitsubishi turbocharger:) Or maybe All Wheel Drive system.

But the el-cheapo interior pieces, lousy fit & finish, electrical gremlins, and transmission woes I can do without:)

There is a benefit to be gained with a CAI in the summertime, when underhood heat is most prevalent. But the biggest benefit stems from the fact that the CAI is wider and much more free-flowing than a stock intake. There's no resonator, airbox, or sharp bends -- just nice, easy bends and a conical, velocity stack filter. Air gets into the engine very quickly. (But the fact that it's quite a bit cooler helps, too.)

I don't have the bypass valve because I don't have to worry about flash-flooding or lots of standing water in my area. Also, the BPV requires you to cut the CAI tubing (a real shame) and may negate some of the airflow benefits (flow rate) of the CAI. I've seen cases where the BPV allowed fine dust or grit into the throttle body -- the section of CAI tubing between the BPV and TB gets dirty on the inside. Without a BPV, mine stays dust-free.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual. As long as you keep your wits about you and avoid deep puddles, you won't need the BPV.

Here's a link showing a CAI install on a G5 Prelude. I found it to be pretty useful.
    http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-intake/fifth-intake.shtml

AWD Prelude? Naaahh, too heavy. The only things the Prelude ever really needed were a sixth gear, 20 more HP and RWD (or at the very least, a factory LSD).
  • carscoutcarscout Member Posts: 11
    I am going for the G5 Prelude, mainly 99', 00', 01' due to consumerguides.com trouble area reviews. The G4 had more trouble spots. I have been driving my dads stick for a while now. So I'll be looking for a manual Prelude. My budget is around 16 grand. I don't want too many miles on it.
    If you've got $16K to play with, a '00 should be within your reach, but you might have to settle for a car with 35,000 miles or more.

As long as the car has been serviced, don't be afraid of a Prelude with miles.

Good luck in your search!
    SO even though it is supposed to rain tomorrow (what else is new), I decided that I had to get all of the bird Doo-doo off of my car. So I pull up to the car wash and see this tastefully modified '95ish Accord in really good condition. Naturally I sprung a conversation with its owner. He told me he likes his car, but wishes it was faster. He asked me what I rolled up in. I spread my arms out in the direction of my car. The guy's reaction was great. He said (to his friend): YO! Check out this guy's Prelude! They proceeded to tell me how much they love the Prelude and ask me numerous questions about the car's performance. They asked me if I raced it and I told them not in a million years. I definitely got a nice grin from it:)

I think the Prelude is on the verge of attaining cult status like the last CRX Si has.
    I got almost the same reaction as nyccarguy last night at a gas station. A couple of guys in a 3000GT at the other pump walked up and started asking about the car, what it's like. One asked if I'm thinking about selling. At first I thought they were going to jump me or something, they both were big and mean looking. (Kind of like the 3000GT, come to think of it.)

I'm enjoying the Prelude. I'd say that done up nicely it's now getting more attention than I got (top up) in the S2000, although a convertible always is going to be sexier when you can drop the top. I've seen exactly two Type SHs in the last 12 calendar months.
    We definitely think alike. The 2 guys I was talking to at the car wash told me they were looking for an H22A to swap into their accord. I figured they were maybe trying to case out where my car is at certain times to steal it:)

himiler: I agree with you on the cult status for the Prelude. Give it a few more years so the car gets even more obscure. Maybe that'll mean better (than usual) resale down the road. I just hope it doesn't make theft of the car go up. If my car got stolen, there is absolutely nothing (that I can afford) that I'd want.

A bit OT, but I think the upcoming BMW 1 series is going to be a cool car, lightweight, RWD, BMW Handling, along with a high revving 4cyl or small I6. I saw a small shot of the new Legacy Turbo (in black)...that looks like a cool car. 250hp & AWD, not too shabby.

The 1-Series looks good on paper, but I'm concerned about the styling (as strange as that sounds coming from ME). Bangle makes me sick, and unless the "flame surfacing" BS get cleaned up or (at the very least) toned down, I won't look twice at the 1. I'm okay with bland styling, but I won't be a rolling billboard for Bangle's "vision."

The Legacy is looking nice, though. My only concern is the long-term durability of the 2.5L block -- they are known for developing cooling problems at around the 90K mark. Subaru won't acknowledge it, but it's a manufacturing defect. What a shame if it causes trouble in the STi, and everything else that uses that engine. (I've got my fingers crossed for my Impreza 2.5.) Unless Subaru has revised the casting, there are going to be more sorry owners to join the growing number of Outback and Forester folks who have had to buy new engines.

Sphinx -- How're those new tires?
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    The CRX gained that cult status because it was its mission in the first place. While the curent lude was aimed squarely at office girls. It has the girly air all over it that I have been too embarass to sit in one. There is no doubt that it is very good car.
    That's an interesting take on things, saying that the under-styled Prelude was a favorite of the ladies (who tend to be very style-conscious). Most people who were willing to pay the premium for the G5 Prelude were those who knew exaclty what they wanted from the car, and styling wasn't high on the list.

And just so you're up to speed, there is no "current" Prelude. It's been discontinued, due to its lack of appeal to fashion-focused people and its higher than class average price (superior hardware doesn't some cheap).

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Celica, Eclipse, or V6 Mustang? And I do see a lot of women (young and old) in the Toyota Matrix...I hear they're really good for fetching groceries.