Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Compact Pickup Comparison: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre

Comments

• midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    ...Out of a pair of chambered flowmasters as they try stoplight drag race! Besides I like my engine having power below 5k RPM!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    from your post, I detect a slight leaning of your attitude toward the imports and away from domestic carmakers...is that true, or have I misread your comments???
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This thread took a bit of a nasty turn, so a few notes have been taken down to cool things off...

This is supposed to be FUN folks. Let's try and avoid attacking each other personally because of opinions about trucks.

Thanks

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• hstanleyshstanleys Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard if Ford is going to replace the 16 inch Wildreness tires on its B3000 series?
  • mikeb3000dsmikeb3000ds Member Posts: 7
    I talked to both the Mazda and Ford customer reps yesterday and they said yes they do plan to replace the Wilderness AT tires on the B-series pickups, they are also going to remove the older tires off the road first as Ford is doing and that we would receive a notification from them in the mail soon, the rep also told me that an announcement would be made public soon.

Hope this helps
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I saw an ad in tha newpaper, and Ford will replace all of the Firestone tires on the B series
  • slamedtacomaslamedtacoma Member Posts: 18
    i know for a fact that a new lighting will beat a new mustang gt. i seen one do it the other night on the street. oh yeah. i seen the tail lights of the lighting well. because i was drivin the mustang. (i was drivin it hard too)
    and i like the tacoma more than all the other mini trucks. its easier to do stuff to for looks and its the most comfortable to drive
  • skernerskerner Member Posts: 18
    Hi - sorry to change subject - a buddy of mine has a Toyota SR5 '92 pickup and needs new side and back decals for it. Anyone have a good source for these and other parts for his truck? Your help is appreciated.
    steve
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    youhavemoneytoburn.com
    Seats are more comfortable in the Ranger, IMHO. Course I'm used to over 136k miles in my '93, but even the new ones offer some lower back support, and butt cushion. When I test drove a '01 Tacoma in early spring, my back started to ache after 15 minutes.
    Yeah all the Fords I've been in have great seats.
  • auburnbluauburnblu Member Posts: 18
    Mainly love it because it was cheap as dirt. I encourage everyone thinking about an S-10 or Sonoma to do a quick price comparison between the 2001s and the 2002s. The survival package discount is no more. The average bump up for a regular cab LS with ac, auto and a few other options is greater than a $1,000. My 2001 LS 2wd regular cab with auto and AC had an MSRP of $15,645. A 2002 equipped like that has an MSRP of $16,888.

Actually got mine over a month ago when the rebate was $3,000, its now at a still very high amount of $2,500. Not sure I understand Chevy's new pricing, but if they need a $2,500 rebate to sell the 01's, what will they need to sell the far higher priced 02's. My advice, if you're thinking about an S-10, get a much lower priced 01.
    The new ones have more stuff standard. Have a LS? The Z85 suspension is standard. Its a good suspension but is it for everyone? The LS gets you the nice interior but you have to choose between Z85 and ZQ8.

A sporty truck is ok, never drove a ZQ8 S10, but what happened to a LS with "standard" suspension?

This tells me that 2003 or '04 is the last year for the S10 as we know it.
    The price differential I quoted is with the same equipment save for the Z85 suspension. Anybody aware of any additional new standard features. The 2001 price was for one with auto and the survival package. The survival package had air, CD, sportier wheels and floor mats. The removal of the survival package and its accompanying discount is the cause for the majority of the increase. I believe that the S-10 is slated for replacement in 03 and will be renamed the Colorado. It may be delayed until 04.
    Buy an Xtreme,ZR2 or Crew Cab and apparently your only option is what radio you want(other than an Xtreme 4 cyl).

Just look at the '02 brochure.

They have everything, power windows/locks, cruise, remote entry CD, AC, Posi, leather steering wheel even a tachometer.

I agree that in '03 the S10 will be replaced and that this is a way for GM to sell more S10's, nothing wrong with that, especially when theyre loaded!
    I wasn't talking about any model other than the regular cab. I encourage you to price a 2001 and 2002 regular cab LS 2wd with auto and air and cd. The price differential between the model years is substantial due to the elimination of the survival pack. Wasn't talking about the hig end models. But it is interesting that they have restructured those too. As far as selling more, absolutely no way they will. They will certainly have fewer regular cab sales. And the admission price on the high ends has gone up big time too. I would imagine monthly sales on the s-10 will decline for the 2002 model year versus 2001.
    I stand corrected, cruise, tilt and a tach were added to the LS for 2002. Sorry about that. Still glad I got one when I did. Also has anyone noticed with S-10s and Rangers that just a few years ago tons of regular cabs were sold. Now go to a dealer lot and try to find a regular cab.
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    I think it was Vince8 who said this...

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rated the Tacoma the safest truck out of all the compacts...

Where do you get your info anyway?

Check here for proof...

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98003.htm#5...

• amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    S10 Xtreme, GMC SLP Sleeker and Tacoma-S. Nice aftermarket add-ons, including performance upgrades. It is about time Ford has an offering for the mini-truckers. Nissan needs to get on the bandwagon. Something for everyone, love those lowered mini's
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Nissan trucks are called "plastic spaceships" because of all the plastic crap they have all over. Now that they dropped the Reg. Cab version..
    Nissan needs to put the 240hp V6 they have in Pathfinders into a Frontier to make a good sports truck (or any truck, for that matter), otherwise it is a joke. I can get 210hp on a Tacoma 3.4L V6 without a supercharger (20 extra hp come from simple aftermarket mods, at most $200).
    Where did you find info on Ranger tbolt? Did not find anything on their site.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    SLP aftermarket people perform a XTREME S10 type modifications on GMC Sonoma, ie ground effects, cladding, 16x8 wheels, wide tires, etc this coupled with the ZQ8 suspension, short throw manual tranny and close ratio steering brings great handling to the GMC S10 minis.

The Ranger Thunderbolt features, low restriction dual exhaust, lowering, hood scoop, awesome graphics and tweaking of the 4.0L V6. Stock HP is 207, with upgrades, there is an extra 15-20 ponies.

Re: Nissan, i agree they need to use the Pathfinder motor.

Regards,

Andy
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    You know you need to rethink things if you have to put a supercharger on your motor just to get it up to the same power level as competitors. Thee's no excuse for a truck engine that can't make 190-200 horsepower breathing naturally.
    Especially with the commercials they have (one where they throw a bunch of things into boiling metal, and out comes the Frontier). I always get shivers when that ad is on TV. Throw together a bunch of crap, and out comes Nissan Frontier, the Crap-mobile.
  • fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
    Just wanted to let all you S10 fans know that I have just posted a picture of the 2004 Colorado in my Future Telling section of Edmunds.com "Colorado" will take over for the S10 as Chevrolet's compact truck. Engines will most likely be four, five, and six cylinder versions of the 4.2-liter six that debuted in the TrailBlazer.

To find Future Telling, go to the "Reviews" section, scroll down and look to the bottom right. Click "Go" and it will take you to the intro page that contains the Colorado as well as other spy pictures.

Best regards,

Ed Hellwig
    Road Test Editor- Edmunds.com
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    the older (but more reliable) pushrod design. It's less efficient than a DOHC application but it's been around the block.

However, expect the Frontier to come with an optional upgrade. Nissan's new 240Hp V6 for the Frontier and a Crew Cab with a 6' bed. I think Nissan is about to raise the bar again.

If only they would change the stupid grille and fender treatments.

John
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    "the older (but more reliable) pushrod design. It's less efficient than a DOHC application but it's been around the block.

However, expect the Frontier to come with an optional upgrade. Nissan's new 240Hp V6 for the Frontier and a Crew Cab with a 6' bed. I think Nissan is about to raise the bar again.

If only they would change the stupid grille and fender treatments.

John "

I sure hope you're not talking Nissan!!! They've NEVER had a push rod V6, supecharged or otherwise.
  • cooldogjonescooldogjones Member Posts: 16
    Just an update on Frontier performance and reliability. I currently have 55,210 miles on my frontier and has only been in the shop for oil changes and new brake pads. My experience with Chevy's isn't too good and of course Chyrsler/Dodge is on my s#$! list. I do want a crew crab and have my eyes set on a Tacoma or a new Frontier. Besides fuel consumption being better in the Tacoma can anyone tell me why I should buy the Tacoma over the Frontier or vice versa?
    So far I have not seen a SINGLE ONE one anywhere, not in Philly or Baltimore, each of which I live in about half the year, and not down south during this last summer vacation. I find this highly unusual, as the truck has been available for awhile. I saw quite a few Dakota crew cabs on the road as soon as dealers got them, Ive seen some Avalanches, and lots of Sport Tracks. Did GM make a mistake by offering the newest, hottest feature in the pickup market on a truck that's outdated compared to the competition and due for a redesign in the near future? Are people waiting for the 2004 redesign and the 4.2 liter in line 6?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Come to think of it, I haven't seen an S10 Crew Cab here, either (central Virginia).

I've seen a couple of Avalanches (ugly).
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I've seen a crewcab S10. It was in Majuro in the Marshall Islands. Was all beatup and rusted too.
    The new one Chevy just introduced in the US with the current S10's face or the one they been selling in foreign markets for awhile?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    actually couldnt really tell as it was REALLY rusted. Still had the S10 badge though. If I were to bet, I'd say its the one they were selling in the foreign market for awhile.
  • camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I am looking for a new truck. Its either between a Ford Ranger with cab or a Nissan Truck with cab. Must be automatic and must have a/c(base model). I dont want 4x4. Which truck do you is better. Which truck has more horse power for base model. THanx
    If you want to go cheaper, go with Ranger. Nissan is about as cheap as Ranger, but has really pathetic power.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    CamryV6,
    Are you looking for a 4cylinder? If so, don't even bother with the ranger, it can't get out of its own way, besides, the frontier has better quality, longer warranty, bigger bed, better ride and less maintenance, I have a 5 speed 4cylinder KC, frontier, I have been extremeley happy with.
    Nissan also has more power,
    4cylinder; 143hp VS 135
    6Cylinder, 170hp vs 146
    Good luck either way, I always say, drive both, do a little research on relibility, safety etc and weight all of the factors, and choose for yourself the best one for you. I think comparably equipped, the frontier will still come out to be less $$.
    Seems like you compared the Nissan anturally aspirated V6 to the smaller Ranger 3.0 V6. How about we discuss the new 4.0 with 207 hp, 238 lb of torque. Nissan had to put a supercharger on the frontier just to keep it from being completely out-classed.

Here are my personal picks.

Ranger: Acceleration is not THAT BAD on 4-bangers with a regular cab/5 speed. That's my combination, and if you're not afraid to hold gears past 3000 rpm you'll find power is adequate. IF you're getting anything heavier than that like an extended cab or an automatic get at least the 3.0. Just remember, no 4 cyl. truck will be a hot rod.

Frontier: I hear it's quite a nice truck. Consider it if you're getting a 4 cyl., but realize that its V6 engine is not competetive. If you want a weak engine because you think its worth it for some sort of subjective quality advantage, go for it. But there are better V6 engines out there.

Tacoma: Nice V6 and the 4 cylinder is one of the better ones out there. It should also be a very reliable truck, through the beds seem smallish to me and I hear the sheetmetal in the bed is flimsy.

S10-Stay away from the 4-banger. Now THAT engine is a dog. I've driven one, it couldnt pull hard even in first gear. The V6 is a proven engine, though I have no personal experience so I cant tell you about reliability.

My personal opinion: Your best bets for 4-bangers are the Tacoma or Frontier. Go for a Ranger or an S-10 if you want the V6. And good luck.
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    Bring on the Dakota V8...

No other V6 truck will touch it...
    Not many V8 trucks (if any) will either...
    Toyota developed a decent engine first, THEN supercharged it.
  • camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I will probaly get the basic engine but it has to be aUtomatic. So you think i should get the frontier. I am looking for a truck that is automatic,a/c,with cab (doesnt need to be 4 door) base model xe for frontier and xl for ranger.
    About how much cheaper is the frontier. And about how did you guys pay for your trucks.
    You could get the prices other people here paid and do internet research, but the thing to look out for is incentives. The domestics tend to offer them more often than the imports, though I dont know exactly what's out there right now.
    eharri,
    I compared the base V6's for both models, as most folks don't buy the SC and most folks don't buy the 4.0, I think this is an accurate comparison.

Camry,
    My frontier is a 98 manual transmission KC, I paid $12,500 for it new, (they were running a 4th of july special) Right now you can get a 4 cylinder King Cab automatic frontier with CD, 15" alloys, privacy glass, bedliner, AC, PS, PB for around $15,000 or so. The automatic is not too bad, definitely better than an auto would be in a ranger or an S-10 with a 4 banger. My second choice would be the tacoma, but you get less and pay a bit more. Drive the 4 cylinder auto in all of them, see which one feels the best to you, and which one gives you the best value, only you can decide. Good luck!
  • 2drive2drive Member Posts: 90
    So what will the competition do when the Dakota is soon available with the planned 350 hp 5.7L Hemi V8 engine?
    While the Dakotas will continue to run through automatic transmissions;)
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    Exactly!! LOL!
    Hey guys, long time no hear, you still lurking out there? Just wanted to pop in and wish you guys a good holiday. peace.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I havent seen too many crew cabs in Pa either...except the one I drive.
    I just purchased a 2001 and it has been great so far. With a little over 2000 miles on it the mileage is 16 in town and 19-21 on a few highway trips....I hope for better.
    The V-6 is nice and has plenty of pickup but it does seem to shift odd on the rolling hills of Pa.
    I had a 5 speed V-6 prior so maybe I am not used to the slow shifting of the automatic.

I needed the space for a new addition to the family so got rid of a king cab. My family really loves this truck. Lots of creature comforts for them and I had to take if off road(gently) as soon as I bought it. It handles very well overall but does have a long turning radius.

Seats are comfortable but could sit higher, head space is generous. The back seat accomadates the kids car seats and still has room for our 70 pound boxer. Short bed is a negative but with the soft cover we can haul the dogs cage and luggage dry with room to spare.

I am getting used to the handling and am finding it very nice. Owned many chevys prior to going with nissans...may not go back. Went from a 2 nissan family to "0"....contrary to dealer opinion they are not made of gold and the 2001 v-6 crew has no "guts" by comparison with the chevy.
    I would recommend it so far.
  • srunner01srunner01 Member Posts: 3
    The only engine the ranger has worth mentioning is the 4.0. The 4cyl and the 3.0 are dogs! My friends old reg cab ranger with the 4cyl was just as quick as my 3.0. Besides, the 3.0 is a gas sucking cow! I traded in my 3.0 ranger for 3.4 V6 Tacoma with a five speed. I save more gas, better mileage and is one of the faster pick ups out there. The frontier is a great truck although the V6 is a little anemic I bought American all my life.. too many recalls and disappointments. Besides all my domestic cars were made in Canada or Mexico. My Taco was made in California. Go figure??
    No, it's nto a hot rod... but with a 5 speed I almost never have trouble moving through traffic and I actually suprise a car off the line every now and then. No, it ain't a work horse like the 4.0, but for a college student who can afford a consistent 25 mpg much more easily than 16-18, the 4 cyl. is DEFINITELY worth mentioning.
    That the Ford 3.0l was revised for 2002 models...
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a 2002 KC XE 4x4 Frontier Saturday. Was originally looking for a XE 2wd, v-6, auto (for my wife), with value truck package. My first choice was actually the Tacoma PreRunner with automatic, v-6, X-cab, but the best price available in the northern VA are was $20,740 out the door. Couldn't work a deal with any Ranger dealer either (wanted the 4.0 L) so I went with the Frontier. My local dealer did a 250 mile search to find a 2-wd, XE, V-6, auto, value truck package and found only 2 -- one was black and the other one was "electric blue" (think that is what it was called), and they both had the power package ($999). I had previously test driven the 4-wheel one I bought, but really wasn't interested in 4-wheel drive. Sales manager called me on Friday and said she would discount the 4-wheel package $1400 so I said what the heck and bought it. There was also a $1000 rebate (I believe it was $500 from Nissan and $500 Holiday rebate from the dealer. Paid $18,600 out the door. Hope like hell I like it because in 60 more payments, it will be mine. As I said, my first preference was Toyota (both of my sons own them and they really like them), but the cost was too much.
This discussion has been closed.