Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Meet the Members

Comments

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I don't think I would try to pull or tow anybody while in winter mode...that sounds like a lot of stress to place on the tranny.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    It seem that 4WD low would be a good option here. More torque and power to all four wheels should help.
  • michtiffmichtiff Member Posts: 10
    I did have it in 4L also. I wasn't "towing" for a long distance just a few feet. I was told that was what the button was for, when there is a need to accelerate slowly while pulling(towing) because the wheels would spin otherwise. Maybe I was given the wrong advice but what else could the button be for?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You can't have the car in Low transmission gear and start off with winter drive. You can only have the vehicle in the "D" position. Winter mode is really for starting out on a hill or icy area so you don't fishtail when hitting the gas hard out of a stop (that's why you can only apply the winter mode button in the "D" position and when the car is at a dead stop) In a towing situation like you described I'd put it in 4wd Lo + transmission in "1" That would allow the best towing, you also need to gently press on the gas in low traction condition so as to not spin the wheels.

-mike
    Don't forget tonight is the chat. If you want to show up at 9-10pm, i'll be chatting with the subaru folks from 9-10. See you all there.

-mike
  • labsr4melabsr4me Member Posts: 1
    This is michtiff--forgot my home computer password so the new name will have to do. I need to clarify ,paison, when I said 4L I meant 4WD Low instead of 4WD High, not Low gear. It did work that way in winter mode because I did have it in "D". I may be new to the Trooper but I am not new to driving, especially in the snow. I have lived in Mn. all 29 years of my life...O.K. 34yrs, and realize I need to start out slow in snow. I have a question though does it hurt the trans. to start towing from a stop in winter mode?
    If there is a problem I won't do it again!
    No problem starting in D with winter mode to my knowledge, but I usually just put it in "1" + Low 4wd and that is usually all I need to tug someone out. You won't get that extra torque you need to tug someone out using the "winter" mode since it starts you in 3rd gear which gives you a 1:1 ratio of engine to wheels.

-mike
    Starting out in 3rd puts some strain on the engine/tranny, since they really are not meant to do that. I've done it on an old manual after loosing my transmission such that it was stuck in 3rd. Towing starting out in 3rd is probably a bigger strain, so probably it is not recommended.
  • michtiffmichtiff Member Posts: 10
    I will from now on use "1". Probably won't tow very much but it's good to know! I do want my Trooper to last forever.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Edmunds.com Drivers' Opinion Panel has just launched. This initiative will further establish Edmunds.com as the voice of the consumer by becoming a key source for automotive market research. Through this initiative Edmunds.com will send traffic to the Opinion Panel promotion and registration area. Members of the panel will participate in key market research studies for Automotive OEMs and related companies on-line as opposed to more traditional market research methods.

To become a member of the panel, please visit

Drivers' Opinion Panel

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    How did you get the Italian flag to show up? I tried changing my profile address to Sweden (I am BigSwede on some other boards) but each time it reverted back to my old US address.
    I changed the country. That's how I got it up there, try again it should work now.

-mike
    Well now it works! I guess I had to log out and in again for the profile changes to take effect...
    Well now I'm confused, I re-checked my profile and it still says USA, but my flag is showing up as Swedish...oh well, not worth stewing over.
  • johnny_ringojohnny_ringo Member Posts: 30
    Picked up a '00 LS Trooper last week with 10k miles. So far, I'm thrilled with the vehicle other than a TOD engagement issue that started yesterday. Thanks for all the info in helping me decide to become an Isuzu owner.
  • teacherjimteacherjim Member Posts: 52
    I just purchased a 2001 Trooper LS with the sunroof. I bought it for $200 over invoice and I got the 0% financing for 5 years!, I am very happy with the deal. I got a black one, I know what a job to keep clean, but it looks great cleaned up. I was one of the very first Trooper owners in Michigan as I bought one of the first 1984's when they came out. My wife(girlfriend then)and I drove it to Alaska for the summer that year and every where we went we heard "What is that?, We've never heard of a Isuzu. Oh well, good memories and I hope to have a lot more with this one. I'm sure I will have questions and hope you can help me with them using your experiences.
    Welcome--see my message in the dealers section.
    hey, the chat was completely (almost) dead tonight. Anybody interested in discussions on the fly would benefit from it. Might want to check it out next Th.
    Sorry I couldn't make it, we had family over :(
    I'll be there next week though.

-mike
    Teacherjim, welcome on board. Make sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com I have some good info there (and more to come) and if you want pics posted let me know!

-mike

• nighter50nighter50 Member Posts: 127
    I dont know if you remember our exchange a month or so ago but I mentioned that you must be looking foward to March Madness. I mentioned that I went to USC and maybe we would face Duke in the tourney (at the time it was just a dream!). Anyway, I can't believe our little upstart basketball program is going against the mighty Blue Devils. I would like to wish you luck but we need all the luck we can get;)
    Yes, I remember that exchange as well. USC is doing well.
    Well - they were doing well. Did better than I thought. Duke just too tough - like Trooper?
    I've updated my site. I have more how-tos, thanks to GPM and Islander. Also updated the gallery with pics of all your trucks!

http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

Hey mike, the web site is really coming together with a whole lot of good info in one place. Great job.
    Going on NOW!

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Well it's late Sunday night - 1am - and I'm excited for tomorrow night's championship game. I told my wife before the Duke/Maryland game that I had a very bad feeling about it. I feel that I know Duke very well, and at 39-17 my prediction was unfortunately looking very good.

nighter50, USC did make a very good tourney run. They had a good game plan against Duke but Duke just had too many good players for the Trojans.

I hope Jason Williams stays all 4 years.
    I bet you do! Jason Williams is incredible. The whole Duke team is. I thought I knew before the Maryland game that Duke could never be counted out of a game. That game tested the theory and Duke came through again! As far down as Duke can get, they never seem to panic. Being a Pac-10 fan I guess I am rooting for Arizona but it looks like it is Duke's year. I expect and hope that it is a close game and if Duke wins I will be glad that Battier won a championship in college - he is an incredible person. Good luck and have fun tomorrow!
  • gtfearonsgtfearons Member Posts: 2
    Great group! I own a 99 trooper and love it. Would like to meet other owners for some road trips and off road adventures.
    Welcome to the crew! Make sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com and send me a pic if you want your truck pictured there.

-mike

I'm not sure if this will affect your club, but please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• blissomenblissomen Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone in Isuzu land, I'm new here and my typying sucks so please disregard any boo-boos. I am a current owner of a '92 Mercury Tracer (blah-blah-blah!) and have since fallen in love with a 2001 Rodeo Sport. I checked it out on-line at Isuzu's web site and picked out what I want. 2/
    W since I don't off road at all and barely have snow here (South Carolina). It's Atlantic Blue Mica, hard top, gray cloth interior. I've chosen the Preferred Equipment Package. I spoke with the dealership and can get it for 23K with my trade in. Has anyone heard of a better deal and does anyone out there already have one? Details...I want details...Pros and Cons. Thanks in advance.
    BlissOmen
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Hello all! I bought a 2000 Trooper S last month and think it's the best SUV made. I've been lurking on this board for awhile reading the posts. I wanted to post earlier, but problems with AOL and cookies wouldn't allow it. Now that's fixed I look forward to conversing with all of you.

Not going to mod my Trooper much, don't want to void the warranty. Here's what I've got so far:

- 265x70/16 Yokohama Geolandar AT+ tires with full size matching spare on factory alloy wheel
    - K&N air filter
    - Weathertech floor mats
    - Tinted windows 30%

Future mods:

- Thule roof rack
    - Hidden hitch
    - Factory fog lights
    - Rear Airlift 1000 airbags
    - May change out shocks
    You probably already voided the warranty with your tires! :) But don't worry too much about it, I haven't heard of many (any?) cases of a dealer denying a claim. Unless the mod directly was involved in the warranty issue.

-mike
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    I shouldn't have to worry about the warranty being voided with the tires. The 265x70 isn't that much of an increase in size. Oh well, I couldn't drive it for very long with the stock size tires, just bothered me too much. I've read in your posts that you've got the OME lift and Ranchos, how do you like them? Are you going to get bigger tires?
    Yeah, I'm likely gonna get the Pirelli 265x70s to compliment the OMEs and Ranchos. The Ranchos made about 100% difference between the stocks. Probably the first mod I should have done when I got it. I'd suggest anyone who gets a trooper get at least gas shocks to replace the stockers.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I purchased an 01 Trooper LS w/ leather last month. Got the 0% and waxed on the deal. Actually it wasn't that bad considering I traded in a 2001 Prelude that I owned for 2 months.
    Welcome to the fold. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com when you get a chance.

-mike

Hey I posted up some pics from "metalfest '01" which was a gathering in NJ of Isuzu enthusiasts helping each other to build some bolder bars (like sidesteps, but strong enough tojack the car up on) and some other assorted items. Check out metalfest '01 on http://isuzu-suvs.com This is a great reason to own an Isuzu, the community and family membership is awsome!

-mike

Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • duktrooperduktrooper Member Posts: 78
    I believe each of you have the OME N15's(firm) on rear and N65's on front, along with OME coils. I changed out my Edelbrocks last week to the same combo above and saw a noticeable improvement in handling, rebound, firmness. I have found the N15's firmness to be perhaps more than I wanted at lower speeds during around town driving, as bumps in the road reverberate noticeably in the back of vehicle. Back doors/spare will rattle over sharp bumps.

Did you notice the same and/or did you realize any softening of rear shocks over time? At high speeds, this is a non-issue but since much of my weekday driving is around town without any load, I might consider swapping N15's for N15C's if ARB will let me(my dealer thinks they will). Thanks in advance.
  • crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Hi All,

I've been lurking around here awhile, and actually posted a couple days ago, but I think my post got eaten with a bunch of others that day.

Anyway, I've learned a lot from all of you, and you were instrumental in my decision to purchase a Trooper. Today I finally took the plunge (after months of research and a week of test driving) and bought a Black '01 LTD 4x4 Trooper. It was down to the Trooper or the Pathfinder, and I was having trouble making up my mind. My partner finally swayed the vote by reminding me that I always like stuff to be "bigger, better, faster, more," and by that criteria, the Trooper won hands down. Final price was $31,750 with 0.0% interest.

I look forward to hanging out here and getting to know all of you. I'll post a photo or two very soon.

Sue
    Welcome to the fold! Mail me any pics you want to put on http://isuzu-suvs.com and check there for valuable resources. We look forward to enjoying our troopers and your company here!

-mike

10pm-11pm EST Isuzu Chat Tonight!.

-mike

Hey all, Jason just sent me an article on How to Remove the rear seats of the '91-'01 Troopers. You can check it out at:

Anyone else with articles, e-mail them to me mike@iace.com

-mike

Isuzu Chat Tonight 10pm -11pm EST.

Hope to see you there.

-mike
    ...if anyone would like a weekly email reminder for the Isuzu chat, please contact Dana (dlivingston@edmunds.com).

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't like the new format. I find it harder to find the iteresting articles that are written. They used to list the "What's new" right up front, so if you checked regularly you didn't miss anything, the new site, while maybe more organized is harder to navigate and find what I want.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Photopoint is going to start charging $29.95 per year (or month I can't remember) for postings. Our club picture site is going to die off soon...I don't plan on paying for the use. We may want to delete the club link afterwards?
    E-mail em to me.

And I'll post em on isuzu-suvs.com and then you can link to them anytime you want.

-mike