Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Meet the Members

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

PS> Paisan...please let us know you're okay!!!!
    I was about 3 blocks away. I walked up to Grand Central station about 4-5miles, and then took a train to NJ, where I wound up getting picked up my dad, but then we couldn't get back into NYC via the bridges to Staten Island, so I had to walk over the bridge to Staten Island, and my dad is in NJ with my truck at his buddy's. Luckily my uncle works one floor above me, and we stuck together with his boss who is a big shot, and we were able to go to a posh club near grand central station for the afternoon. More details later, it was a 12+hr commute home for me.

-mike
    I've already said this in Subaru Crew, but glad to know your home safe and well.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    ...it's chat night!

7:00-8:00pmPT/10:00-11:00pm ET

Click on the link at the top of the page.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Due to the late hour for east coasters, how would you feel about changing your weekly Thursday night chat from 7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET to 6:00-7:00pmPT/9:00-10:00pm ET? Please post your preference here!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Chat tonight! Same time as usual.

Next week's chat will be cancelled due to the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rufus219rufus219 Member Posts: 1
    Today I picked up my 1998 Trooper S. The truck has 40,700 miles, 5-speed, leather, 6 CD-changer and a power moonroof. It is blue with champagne at the bottom. For the most part the truck is in great condition. The underside is very clean & the paint shines bright. There is a scrape along the plastic panels around each wheelwell but it is not deep & I am told it is a cheap fix.

I have been told that the 5-speed does not come with leather, could it be a special order? How can I tell if it is aftermarket leather? Either way it is one sweet ride and I got a real steal.

Pics to follow
    '98 and beyond you could only get a 5-speed on the lowest model (S model in '00-'01) (lowest trim level in '98-'99 non-Performance and non-Luxury packaged vehicles) Leather was only an option in '98 and '99 on the Performance and std. on the Luxury and in '00-'02 leather only available on the LS and Limited models.

It's most likely aftermarket or dealer installed.

-mike
    Welcome to the crew. Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• wolfgang6wolfgang6 Member Posts: 7
    Purchased an '01 Trooper S about a year ago. Have owned: Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Nissan Pathfinder prior to Trooper. Trooper is by far the best. Watching to many friends 'suffering' with their Tahoes, Expeditions, and Monteros. Mainly service issues. I'll NEVER buy another Jeep product. Hope that GM does not screw Isuzu up.
    '02 is the last year for the Trooper. After this we get the Assender, which will be a re-badged Envoy with an extended wheelbase. The Rodeo and Axiom are the last Isuzu vehicles and they aren't even made in Japan. The next version of the Rodeo will likely be a GM clone as well. Which will leave the Axiom as the last truely Isuzu, Isuzu. :( Cherish your '01 Trooper for it will be irreplaceable soon. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for more info on Isuzu stuff it's my site.

-mike
  • wolfgang6wolfgang6 Member Posts: 7
    I'll keep my '01 Trooper for many years. Can't see spending money on a vehicle from the Generals bin, knowing that my hard earned dollar will be wasted. The Japanese philosophy is quite different and that is why they build a better vehicle. In 5 or 6 years I'll buy a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan product- but for now the Trooper is definitely it.
    The Toyota SUVs will be having an Isuzu Engine option in 03 or 04 so you won't have to go far from the Isuzu quality. They are going to be offering the 3.0, 4, 5l TDI engines from Isuzu!

-mike
    Unfortunately, due to lack of participation, the weekly Isuzu Owners chat has been discontinued.

Sorry it didn't work out!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Oh well. You can always reach other Isuzu folks to chat 24x7 by going to http://isuzu-suvs.com and check under the AOL Chat section.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• trooper4jb1trooper4jb1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am from Georgia, CAUCASUS.

I drive ISUZU Trooper (1988) with 4JB1-T 2.8 turbodiesel engine. 250000km.

I have just registered here.

Have a great day :)
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    It took me a few minutes to find your location on the map! What led you to this site? It primarily focuses on the US market? Just web searching for Trooper stuff?

There are a few Australian Trooper owners who post here as well. It is good to see that we can create a world "trooper" organization...sorry I couldn't resist the WTO thing.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Hi there all,

I have been posting in the Trooper section for a while now, so I'm overdue on my details.

I drive a Holden Monterey 2000 model. Foxfire Red with Moonmist grey outside, beige moquette interior. The Monterey then was roughly the equivalent of an LS, however the current Monterey model is the equivalent of a Limited.

It is the 3.5V6, Auto, TOD, all the good stuff. Currently has 43,000km on it or about 25,000 miles.

Mods so far include a Bocar Rally Nudge Bar, Yuasu Overlander 700 cca battery, Finer Filter two stage air filter, Hayman Reese 2500kg tow hitch, BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A tyres, Formula Off-Road side steps, window tinting all round.

Planned modifications include Rancho RS9000 shocks, Ultimate Suspensions front torsion bars and long travel rear coils, Garland Racing induction and exhaust system.

I live in Sydney, Australia. Married, two kids, no dog yet.

Next trip out, I hope to get some fresh pics to send to Mike for his web site.

Oh ... and my first name is S a v v a s. Not Sawas. The font used here tends to mould the double "v" into a "w". If you're curious, the origin is Greek.
    Please take a moment and read Letter from the Town Hall Manager.

The Town Hall will be looking quite different soon, but we hope you will find the changes beneficial. Your subscriptions should not be affected by this change. I'm sure there will be a discussion in News & Views created to address your questions. Once it is available, I will let you know.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
    Looks like tomorrow is the big day! Post your comments in Town Hall Redesign 2002: Tell Us Your Thoughts.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • ndibubbandibubba Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of a"New to me" 1986 Trooper 2 door 4wd. I already LOVE it. The only thing I had to replace was the starter relay on top of the starter. Other than that It is great. It is a little top heavy but that is to be expected. Since It was manufactured prior to the lowering of most SUV's. When I first drove it I thought it was more top heavy than Dolly Parton, but I learned the in's and outs of it. I haven't really had the chance to experiment with it off-road, but I will. The previous owner bought it NEW and kept it for this long. I guess that I'll try to keep it another 20 years. It has 174560 miles on it and still going strong.
    Welcome to the crew! Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for more Trooper info!

-mike
  • satysaty Member Posts: 23
    hello everyone. I'm a new proud owner of 99 trooper S. with luxury package with 47900 miles on it. Got it for $12,500 and hope it is a good deal. Anyone has a trooper in the Salt Lake City area in the forum?
  • julie4julie4 Member Posts: 1
    hello every one i am a single mom and proud owner of a 1994 isuzu rodeo love my truck have a few problems maybe some of you can help with solutions .
    Welcome! :)

-mike
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Member Posts: 30
    Just wondering if any Other Ascender owners are having problems with there Ascenders. It has developed a vibration at 65mph.Dealer has put 2 new rear end in and still vibrates.
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    You should really check in with the GMC Envoy / Chevy Trailblazer / etc.. forum under the SUV section. Since the Ascender is one of the clones - those are very active forums. There have literally been a few thousand Ascender sales versus hundreds-of-thousands of the GMC/Chevy/Olds/Buick/etc.. vehicles. I entered "vibration" into the search engine for that forum and there were 200 returned hits.

jdennehy, "Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada" #5967, 17 May 2002 10:49 am
  • macoymacoy Member Posts: 1
    hello there, i buy an used 94 trooper 4x4 automatic trans and its missing the owner's manual and i want to know how to use the winter and power butons located to a side of trans handle
    Winter: use this to start in 2nd gear so as not to slip the tires in the winter on snow and ice, it will automatically turn off over 25mph

Power: Moves the shift points higher in the rpm range to give you more power for acclerating or towing.

-mike
  • daciadacia Member Posts: 1
    Iv'e done my homework on my 99 V6 Rodeo and am told that the timing belt is non-interference...A relief as it is in the shop as we speak. My concern is that the vehicle has 66, 000 miles on it. Estimates for replacement of the timing belt ranged from 75,000-100,000. This seems especially unfair as I was 200 miles from home on a Holiday weekend and had to leave my baby in another state to be repaired and rent a car for a week. Is their any course of action that I can take???? I planned on having it changed at 75,000 miles in my home town without all this inconvenience. And of course I opted out of extended warranty. Just thought someone might be able to help. I love this truck but have spent almost 1,000 dollars this year on electrical system repairs and rentals when it was broken down. Does this end????
    The interval is 60K miles on the timing belt. Starting in 2000, they went to the 105k interval for timing belts as per the CA emission laws.

-mike
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Member Posts: 30
    Well, after 2 rearends and know 2 new transfercases, the vibration is still there. My transfer case blew up last week stranding me on the hwy friday july 4th weekend. Isuzu has the worst costermer relations, Ive been without a vehicle for a combined 38 days. Please dont buy from this company, ive filled for lemon law,I want my money back from this piece of junk.
  • thajonesthajones Member Posts: 1
    Buenos Nachos! New owner of an Isuzu Ascender Limited, just bought for the Mrs this weekend past. She just HAD to have the V8....

Anyway, I'm a heavy modder kinda guy, own an Altima and done quite a bit of work to that, so I'm looking to play with this truck a little (when it's not robbing me at the pump). I'm well aware of forum protocol b/c of my Alty, so I'll be doing some serious searching before posting "how do I" threads.

http://www.tmobilepictures.com/thajones
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I just saw Saab just re-badged a version of the trailblazer. Saab now has bad GM vehicles and a re-badged subaru in its line-up.
  • snowman97903snowman97903 Member Posts: 2
    Good morning everyone. I am the happy owner of a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. Bought new in 2000 it now has about 107,000 miles. It still runs strong (due for tune up and radiator flush tho). What is the story on the timing belts for this model? The manual says every 60,000 miles for change out. Can somebody please explain what non-interference means in regards to the timing belt ? Thanx and have an awesome day.

Snow
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    Congrats on the Isuzu

If you don't know if it was replaced at 60K, I would replace it, for peace of mind. I think the service interval for 2000 zu's was 105k miles

Non interferance means that when the belt breaks, if it does, it won't bend the engines valves and require new pistons, valves and cylinder heads to fix,

when it breaks, it just stops running, so your just stranded, instead of stranded with a messed up engine.

Hope this helps

Russ
    You might want to check the trailblazer section as it is just a rebdaged one of those.

-mike
  • tcavanaughtcavanaugh Member Posts: 1
    I'm new on here. How do I start a new thread of my own? I don't see where to click??

While I'm here, maybe someone can help me. I have an Isuzu Trooper that is giving me problems. Can't figure it out.

I'll start it, it runs perfect, then it dies after about 5 seconds. Any ideas?

Thx
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We don't have threaded discussions here so all you have to do is type in a message in the message box below, put a title in the title box then hit "post my message." And, voila, you have have a new "thread!" :)

tidester, host
  • kirkdckirkdc Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing a strong vibration in the steering wheel when turning the steering wheel on my 92 Trooper between at speeds between 45 - 60 MPH. The ride is relatively smooth when driving straight ahead. The vibration also goes away at speeds over 65 MPH. At speeds under 45 MPH there are no issues. Does anyone know what can be causing this problem?
  • redvalkrieredvalkrie Member Posts: 2
    Well I purchased my 2002 Isuzu Axiom in January 2007 w/80,480 miles on it.
    Leather interior no sunroof :cry: .
    But it does have 4x4 :)
    No spoiler :cry:
    But it is black on black & loving it who ever owned it b4 me kept it well some minor scratches but I beleive they can be buffed out.

Well am happy 2 have found some poeple chatting about this ride as I will problably have ?? about it.
    Thnx in advance to all of u 4 any help u may provide in the future. :)
  • bigredtrooperbigredtrooper Member Posts: 5
    Greetings,

I am about 3 weeks into ownership of a 1998 Trooper S (loaded) w/48,000 miles. My kids named it "Big Red" the day I brought it home. They love it almost as much as I do. :shades:

I have a little cleanup to do on the undercarriage, since this truck was driven through a couple of Chicago Winters. I am looking for advice on treating rust on the frame and suspension. Basic appraoch kind of stuff, like should I disassemble as much as I can (skid plates, cross members) or just treat in place what I can see?

The only problems I have run into so far:

Some chimp has sheared four of the bolts that hold the hub caps to the alloy wheels. :mad: Looks like about an hour's labor at my local mechanic to drill and helicoil the holes.

I've got some seepage at the differentials, but I think I'll wait until the next scheduled fluid changes unless I see it getting worse. (It just had the ATF and both diffs fluids changed at the dealer last summer.)

The front brake calipers have been replaced, the rears have some rust but seem to work OK.

I've got an exhaust leak that the mechanic says is no big deal, but for peace of mind I'll see about getting that fixed before any trips.

The first thing I did was get an alignment and replaced two badly worn original Bridgestones with Big O Big Foot Sport Touring tires in the factory recommended size. I still have a few thousand miles left on the other two tires, but after reading about the TOD being sensitive to differently worn tires, I'll be springing for two more new tires pretty soon. In the mean time, I won't be needing the 4WD, and if I go to Tahoe, I think two new tires on the rear with the LSD is more than I'll need for snow traction.

I'm watching the oil consumption like a hawk, based on the horror stories from all the folks that fried their engines. So far the oil looks clean and doesn't seem to be dropping after 250 miles. How worried do you think I should be?

Over the past couple of weeks I have read over 5,000 posts, and you guys are a great knowledge base.
    A few other items, make sure to engage/disengage the TOD or 4wd-lo 1x a month at least to keep it lubricated. I jammed mine in TOD one winter cause I didn't take it out of TOD at all. So whenever it rains it's a good idea to engage TOD.

Otherwise sounds like you got a find. I want to buy mine back from my dad in a year or 2 and use it for offroading!

-mike
  • chuckisuzuchuckisuzu Member Posts: 2
    Hello...I am new to this group. I am a devoted Isuzu owner who currently owns a 2007 Ascender, 2006 I-350 and a 1999 Amigo.
  • brenbren Member Posts: 24
    Hello! I have just returned to the Isuzu family. :P

Yesterday I purchased a 2004 Axiom S AWD with a mere 6,000 miles. (It had been sitting on the same used car lot for more than 2 years!) I hope I got a good one because the original 3 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty expires in just over a month.

I had previously owned a 1991 Isuzu Stylus which I bought used circa 1996.

By the way, in case there are any Axiom lovers out there, check Autotrader.com... There's a red '04 Axiom S AWD with 5600 miles (and several months original warranty remaining) located in Johnson City, TN. The advertised price is $16995. A dealer in a Chicago suburb also has an identical Axiom with about 23,900 miles (warranty still good for many months -- or 'til 50K miles) for $15695. There are a few others on Autotrader.com with relatively low mileage, too.
  • mglossipmglossip Member Posts: 5
    My name is Matt from billings montana. i have a 2000 trooper ls, yes tod is sweet. ive been a 4 runner fanatic for years, but bought my trooper in january, and fell in love. nothing better on snow. ive been a little sceptical due to the lack of performance products including lift kits and what not. calmini makes the only lift kit that i can find. if you know of any others let me know. other perf products would be nice too. thanks