Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Meet the Members

bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
I'm not quite sure of this forum's intended purpose, but I'll give some info about me.

98 Trooper, Red Rock Mica monotone, Performance Package (similar to current LS model), bought as corporate vehicle with 7,000 miles in Oct. 1999. Now at 38,500 miles.

Previously owned 96 Trooper for 11 months. Bought used at 27,000 miles, totaled at 51,000 miles. Loved the truck. Truck was totaled in a t-bone collision (I hit a Cadillac STS at 40mph; his fault).

I live in the southeast Michigan area. Use TOD quite a bit (it was not standard in 1998-- included with Performance Pkg and Luxury Pkg but not available on Trooper "S" model). Do not use 4WD Low since I don't take my beautiful vehicle off road.

Thanks to the folks at Edmund's for establishing these more convenient areas for us to share info and opinions. Also thanks to paisan and everyone else who worked hard to make this happen. Now if I could just figure out if the new software has a feature similar to the Placemarks from the old version...

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    This area is the "general" discussion area for Isuzu stuff. Glad to have you on board. I've started using the subscriptions to keep track of all the discussions I'm involved in on here, it's actually working nicely. You subscribe, and then you can go to the message center and it will list the first message of each discussion you are subscribed to and you can click on the link to go there.

-mike
    Well Let's see, I owned a '97 Rodeo before my current '00 Trooper LS. I loved the Rodeo, but the Trooper is far more refined. TOD rocks!

I also have an '88 Subaru XT6, a very strange vehicle in looks and mechanics.

I'm in the NY/NJ/PA and Upstate NY areas.

You can see my Trooper and some good links @ http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

-mike
  • rcashenrcashen Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my name is Rick. I have a '99 Amigo with quite a few mods. I purchased my Isuzu after checking out some of the other Isuzu boards and finding out what a great bunch of people own Isuzu's. Isuzu makes a darn fine vehicle to boot.

Rick C.
  • david55839david55839 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to all the great advice and fun discussions on the Town Hall and other boards. Thought I'd join the owner's club. I'm David from Milwaukee and have been relieved I have 4wd in my 2000 LS Rodeo these past few weeks with up to 30" of snow! I've replaced the shocks with Monroematics to improve the ride, and have installed a Calmini Hi-flow air intake for a little more power. Isuzu has agreed to replace my Bridgestone Duelers with the new Michelin Cross Terrains to deal with the highway vibration. It's great to communicate with other owners. Thanks for creating this club!

David
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Hi, I'm Andy, and I am a trooperholic (the owner of a '00 Trooper Ltd). I opted for the 2wd model as I don't offroad and we don't get bad weather too often in Middle Tennessee. The added cost, maintenance, and potential breakage was another decision factor to go 2wd.

I bought it for the capacity (passengers and cargo), power, and quality. I wasn't seeking a "pretty boy" suv that I would be afraid of getting scratched. I do think the Trooper is a great looking SUV, though. I love the view of the road, the handling, and the ride. I hope the owners club is a better forum than the old message boards.
  • viktoria__rviktoria__r Member Posts: 8
    I live in Chicago area, have 2000 Trooper S 4WD, TOD, bought in Oct 2000 with 8900 mi. Currently 11700 mi. Happy to have it with all this snow we've been having! I have never owned a truck before. Traded a '98 Accord V6 coupe for Trooper - nice car, but insufficient room.
    Bought Trooper because of promise of reliability, 4wd, room, and, of course, price. Did not make any after-market modifications to my Trooper.
    But if you hang around here long enough you will! :) Hee Hee

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I have a '99 Trooper S 4WD TOD automatic, that is black with gold/silver trim and has a grey interior. The black trooper definitely looks cool and gets a lot of looks and comments. I bought it from Torrington Hyundai Isuzu in Connecticut with 16k miles and was told it was an Isuzu rep/cooperate vehicle. This truck runs like a champ. I now have 19k miles. I have added the 2000 grey floor mats (now dirty) and the 2000 cargo mat. I have installed the hidden hitch together with the hoppy converter for towing. I have taken this truck off-road in a way that I could never have done with any other vehicle that I've ever owned, and I have already traversed some very steep terrain and large rocky terrain. I plan to take it through the snow to get to the slopes when the powder is fresh and use it for camping and off-road adventures. Its been great in snow and ice. My 3 boys love this truck.
  • grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
    My name is Marcin. Live in North Augusta SC. Waited for months for a silver LS 4x4, no luck. So got a 2wd. Great vehicle, its my third Isuzu. Had a 91 pickup, then a rodeo. These vehicles last a long time. Hope to see Isuzu get involved with this board, maybe some cool parts like the countries have for the Trooper/Bighorn/and other names.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    My name is Sean. I have a 1999 Empire Blue Mica Trooper S. I drive a 95 Altima for commuting and the truck is primarily used as family truckster and on weekends. My wife is supportive so I have had a few opportunities to go off-roading. I have mostly been off-road in sand, but have climbed a few rocky hills and been in deep snow (I have pictures I plan on posting someday). I am in PA and would be interested in organizing, well actually only attending, a Trooper adventure, I guess we should continue that thread in the off-roading section.

I have had a couple of minor problems with my truck that have been aggravated by poor dealership performance. I now have a good dealer and am hoping to avoid any further problems.

BTW this is my thrid time posting this message...I only had to log in once though...
    Why I spelled corporate as cooperate, I have no idea; but it might have something to do with the spell checker. I needed to login and out to post #9--somewhat frustrating. BTW my name is Greg M., but gpm is also just fine.
  • rdsterlrdsterl Member Posts: 21
    NW Louisiana, bought new $23165 v. $29009 MSRP, '99 Trooper S in Light Silver w/ grey, 13k miles so far, no mods yet, plan to add 3rd seat and hidden hitch. Maybe new wheels when I replace the rapid-wearing stock Bridgestones next year. Haven't been off-road, but used T-O-D to go skiing last March. Works excellent, and love the 4WD mode abs. Any other ITOG members in here?
    Wow, how far did you drive and to where to go skiing from Louisiana.
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    Hi,

I am located at Bronx, New York. Mine is a red '99 Passport AS 4WD with automatic. 19K miles so far with frequent short trips (at least 4 three-mile trips every day plus moving the SUV outside the garage every morning). Kind of gas hog for that kind of routine.

Modifications were:

1. Spare tire relocated underneath after a rear-end collision with a Land Cruiser.

2. Installed Bilstein but later replaced them with Monroe matic-plus shocks.

3. Clifford security with digital tilt/motion sensor and proximity sensor.

4. side molding and arm rest installed (not standard on my model)

5. JVC 12 disc CD changer installed at right rear compartment ( just enough size to fit inside)

6. JBL speakers installed but later placed back the OEM front speakers while retaining the JBL at the rear.

I also removed the cargo cover because of rattling noise and replaced it with a cartoon, wide enough to cover the cargo area. Also replaced the wiper blades with Bosch Micro excell.
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Testing...testing!...LOL
  • sparko101sparko101 Member Posts: 7
    My name is Mark and I live in Maryland (between Balt and D.C.) I have a 2000 Trooper S, Automatic, Silver, about 3K miles. It came with a roof rack, bug deflector, 6CD changer and Goodyear Wrangler vs. Duelers. I have ordered the leather wheelskin (black) and the Windflectors that attach inside the window channel. Other upgrades/accessories I'm currently considering are shocks, the Waag center grille guard, additional driving lights, fog lights and body side molding. I lurked around Edmunds and other sites for several months before deciding on the Trooper. Without any previous experience with Isuzu's, it seemed like one of the best, if not THE best, values. So far I've been very happy with it. TOD is a wonderful feature to have in the rain. Have not used it in the snow yet. I do not do any off-roading but would like to try it some day...maybe after the vehicle is not so new!
  • spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    I live in PA. I bought a 2000 Trooper Limited in March 99 and I love it. I have driven the Trooper on just about every possible terrain and it never lets me down.

I would certainly recommend the Trooper to anyone in the market for an SUB.

Steve
    Well I had a really good chance to run the Trooper today in various snowy terrain. I'm duely impressed! Took it down my favorite non-maintained road up here in the adirondacks and it performed outstanding in TOD. I was blasting down a pretty much densely snow packed road, with about 2 inches of light non-packed snow on top of it. I was doing about 30-50mph w/o a problem. On the way back I decided to use 4wd lo and that did well too, was able to go up to about 45mph with the 4wd Lo in 4th gear. (D position) Drove through some snow banks of 1-3' w/o getting stuck or having to use 4wd Lo. Then I went down a virgin trail that had about 1.5-2 feet of light powder on it, I was worried I'd get stuck down here but the TOD worked outstanding and I was able to drive right down the trail and back up it w/o a problem, I noticed there was some touching of the skid plates and rear diffy on the snow between the wheel tracks, but so long as I didn't gun the engine, it went straight up the trail.

On a side note though, I noticed that whenever I am in 4wd Lo, I need to put the car into Reverse for about 2 feet after I take it out of 4wd Lo in order for the TOD to re-activate properly. Anyone else notice that after they dis-engage 4wd Lo, that they will only get 1 bar of TOD traction no matter how hard you punch the gas? What I did was re-engage the 4wd Lo, then put it in TOD, reversed 2 feet, and then the TOD was fine.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    It's from 1998 and from England I believe, but it's basically our troopers... (except they get E-code Headlights, with wipers and 3rd row of seats)

http://www.worldoffroad.com/vehicles/citation.asp

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    testing
    Karen and Bonnie...I am getting VERY discouraged with this board and the software. I just did a short "test" post to make sure this board was working correctly. Then I did my "Introduction" post that I've been trying to do for the last four days! It didnt post! This makes it very difficult for me to be the co-leader and makes me look like I dont even know how to post which I assure you I do. I enjoy this board and appreciate the fact that it's free but when I do a test post then do my actual post the VERY SAME WAY and it fails to post...what can I say. With my luck so far this will probably post OK but unfortunately it is the last post that was important.
    just as i thought this post worked. I'll try my "real" post again later today when I have more time to waste!
    Just wanna let you know, it seems to take my posts when they're less than 5 lines, any more and I get the already logged in screen. I guess I'll be leaving out details, or multi-posting. (is that a word?) Thanks for all your efforts, together we'll fix it and this will become one of the great ZUZU communities. Merry Xmas!!!
    Ok, Bonnie is no longer with Edmunds, so we can leave her out ! :)

As for the postings here is the dealio. The reason that you guys are getting the error is that this software was originally designed for bank transactions, so what happens is the your login "times out" after X minutes as a security feature. They are currently working on this bug so that it won't time you out. What I've been doing is before hitting "post" I'll highlight the message, and copy it (alt-C) to the clipboard so that if it doesn't work I can hit the back button, and paste (alt-v) the text back into the posting area. They'll have it up just hang in a bit longer.

Merry Christmas

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    And sorry for the frustration but having the board seem to work on everything but what's really important to post is frustrating! Nevertheless, I'll try copying to the clipboard.
    Checked out the link to that British mag that reviewed the Trooper Citation (seems to be kind of like a cross between an S and an LS). The 3rd seat looks really trick! Although I don't really need it...hmmm...might be nice to have eventually...maybe next year!
    The Northwest and the Northeast and even the South are getting their real big share of winter weather. To all you recent 4WD trooper owners, finally a winter where we can make real good use of 4WD! ENJOY. Happy holidays--and hope Saint Nick treats you well.
    This was posted on the Trooper site, but thought it might be of interestd to all Isuzu owners. It's a bunch of Isuzus in action in Japan. Click on the Yellow titles to get to the pics.

http://www.canal.ne.jp/~hiroshi/kurokan.htm

-mike
    Mike, I just tried what you said about the clipboard and evidently did something wrong but another lengthy post got deleted.

Although I will continue to read this board I will not post again until this is straightened out. I just don't have the time to waste and I've run out of patience.

I can't understand why Edmunds would use a banking program that times out. I realize that money may be an issue but surely there are other programs that could have been used at minimal cost.

See you again soon! (I hope!)

- Dave
  • ebcapital1ebcapital1 Member Posts: 1
    Christmas weekend I was out shopping for cars. My 94 Ford Probe had its transmission blow up on my way home from college. Read in the paper about the great deal offered on Isuzu, and I figured I would check them out. I showed up on the lot and knew what I wanted right away. I got the Atlantic Blue V6 2WD Rodeo(along with a free Gateway computer). This car drives great. The ride is smooth and the engine is very strong. This is a huge difference from a sports car, but it is definitely better for the traveling.
    I definitely enjoy the car so far.
    Welcome aboard. Hope the Rodeo treats you well as most of us here know it will. If you upgrade the shocks to gas shocks, you'll notice the ride and handling will be more like your probe, slightly...

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • mtrionfomtrionfo Member Posts: 20
    Hi. This is my first post to the board, though I do post regularly over at the ITOG and VMAG Trooper boards. I have a 95 Trooper LS with just over 153K miles. I bought the truck used in 97 with 90K, and it has been stone-reliable ever since. Modifications include Michelin LTX M/S tires, Rancho 9000 shocks, polyurethane sway bar bushings, and a K&N conical air filter (replacing the stock air box). On the inside I have the factory 12-disc CD changer and upgraded the speakers to Polk EX 602s up front and 402s in the rear.

Regards, Marty
    95 Trooper LS
    I'm in NYC, we'll have to grab Chris Perosi sometime who is also from Northern NJ and do some Off-roading.

-mike
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Thought I'd swing over here and see how you're doing. I like the topic headings; nicely organized (and the Mods nomenclature is precise). Have fun in your Troopers everyone!

..Mike Smith . 00 Subaru Legacy GT wagon

..Mike

Greg, we went to the Black Hills of South Dakota, encountered snow N of OK City, and on into Nebraska. Only snow was in the higher elevs. of the Hills... (My mom is at Ellsworth Air Force Base, just east of Rapid City.) About 20 hours straight thru, even with the snow delay, and 3 drivers. May do it again at Spring Break, we'll see (it IS a long drive.)

P.S. Sorry to hear about Arktrooper1 leaving...
    He's just annoyed at the software right now. Hopefully.

Hills in Nebraska? I thought the country was flat til you hit Colorado after PA. Then again I've only been as far west as Ann Arbor, MI!

I plan to remedy that this summer... NYC->SF->LA->Denver->Chicago->NYC!

-mike
    Thanks for the comments and I will be back. Just tired at this point of what I consider to be two "lame" attempts to "improve" this board and (Edmunds') excuses. Enjoy the members and the conversation! Better go for now...don't want to be deleted...LOL!

-Dave
    So he'll stick it out. I blame the whole mess on Edmund's poor planning. What happened from what I gather, is that the old software was housed on a 3rd party site/location who owned the software and Edmunds knew that on X date their contract would be up and that the software would be going away. They miss estimated how long it would take to get a replacement or didn't want to pay for the proper replacement, etc. and so ended up with their current situation. As I posted in one of the other topics... "Poor Planning on Edmund's Part does NOT constitute an Emergency on our Part" Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out soon though.

-mike
    In Pa let me know if you guys get together to go off-roading. I am interested if it isn't too far away...
  • alvfamalvfam Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I used to own a '90 Trooper, had it for 5 years, and traded it in for an Outback. Now with the family expanding, looking to get a bigger SUV. I would like your advice on the versatility of the Trooper as a good family SUV for a family of 2 adults and three kids (kids will be in booster seats and/or car seats).

Does the Trooper have a 3rd seat option now?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

~Kris
    Well it's an awsome value. There is no 3rd row available from Isuzu in the US. But http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/ does sell 3rd row seats for the Trooper. Very reasonably priced and factory material (supposedly). The Trooper has all the advantages of the AWD that the outback does, but has the huge moonroof, and tons of storage! The downside is the gas milage, but you can't have everything. :) There are some pics on my webpage of the Trooper and a 2000 OB also.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I tried this last week and my post vaporized, but I have made several posts successfully today, so here goes.

My name is Steve, aka BigSwede aka sdc2 on some other boards. I have a 99 Trooper Performance Package, black. I live in Minnsnowta (it is snowing heavily as I type this), so most of my 4WD experience has been in the snow.

Mods so far:

Replaced shocks with Old Man Emu shocks. Much firmer ride with reduced body roll and pitch, no bottoming out on RR track crossings and the like.

Trailer hitch by Hidden Hitch. It hides up behind the bumper, and was a very easy install, highly recommended.

3M ScotchCal protective film applied to leading edge of hood etc. Nearly invisible unless close up, and no added wind noise like a bug deflector!

Mods to come:

Old Man Emu rear coil springs. I have heard nothing but good things about these springs, relatively cheap, too! Anticipate better load capacity, towing, and better handling, plus about 1.5" of lift. They just arrived, but am waiting for "warmer" weather to install.

Bigger tires, probably 265/75R16 Pirelli Scorpions. I will have them on in time for Moab in May!

Replace/upgrade factory speakers.

ECB Nudge Bar ala paisan???

That's all for now ;-)

Steve
    I'm debating wether to get the OME or the Rancho 9000 shocks. I will definitely be doing the OME springs in the rear. How do you think the OME shocks compare to the Ranchos?

-mike
    I like the OME shocks very much, and they seem very heavily built. The ride is significantly firmer than stock, so you better want that. They are supposedly calibrated to work with the OME springs, but with the adjustability of the Ranchos I would think you could find a setting you like with those, too. I think either one would be a good choice.

BTW Mike, did you get my email re: nudge bars?
    What are the original shocks? I believe they are Bilsteins? They feel a little soft, but they performed well off-road. I too am investigating upgrading shocks, I have also considered adding the same shocks that the Vehicross has, which I am not sure, but I think are Bilsteins with an external heat expansion chamber? I want to avoid any shock that needs manual adjustment.

So my questions are: What shocks are best (I guess we all have that one)? Can we fit shocks with external heat expansion chambers? If we add new shocks or add new rear springs, will we adversely effect the wheel travel? What about using a "more affordable" brand with the same features such as Napa which are also easily replaced.
    Stock are HYDROLIC Tokicos, outside the US they get GAS Tokicos. The shocks on the Trooper could be easily remedied by Isuzu although I'm not sure why (probably they think americans like that soft floaty feeling)

For non-adjustables, I'd go with Edelbrock IAS shocks or the OME ones. I've heard of people using the Monro Sensatrac also.

I like the adjustability, cause you can firm it up for highway use, and loosen it up for off-roading.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I'm not trying to be rude, but we should try to be topical. This sort of aftermarket equipment discussion is helpful, but people are more likely to read it if it's in the right forum. Just trying to be helpful...
    Hey, he started it! ;-)
  • knopfknopf Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I live in Central Wisconsin and I just left the Honda family and purchased a 2001 Rodeo LS V6 4wd SUV. I hope I don't regret it. I've read mixed reviews of this vehicle. We wanted something bigger than the Honda CRV we have. Hopefully we won't regret leaving the our Honda tradition of quality and reliability. What do you all think???
    Travis
    Hi! My name is Dave and I live in the NW corner of Arkansas.

I own a 2000 Trooper S TOD/Auto that I bought on Sept. 19, 2000. I've got almost 5500 mi. on it and so far it's been great! This is my first 4WD vehicle and it definately won't be my last.

I had been a loyal Toyota owner for 26 years but had liked the Trooper since it's last major change in '92 and when I compared the Trooper to the 4 Runner (roominess, power, quality, drive system, reliability, price) I just had to give the Trooper a try.

It's been snowing and icing more than usual around here and the TOD has worked flawlessly. I realize that 4WD is not a ticket to invincibility on the snow and ice but it does give better traction and stability, no doubt! I was on a back road two weeks ago and came upon the Ark. National Guard in a HUMMER! helping stranded cars on a couple of steep hills. I just drove by and waved! In all fairness there was a JGC and a Ford SD350 that did the same.

I'm not an off-roader yet but when the weather gets a bit better there is a national park about 50 mi. south of here that supposedly has some great trails for light off-roading. Arkansas and Fiser Hummer have put toghther a nice map of off-road trails around the state and I hope to explore quite a few of them over time.

The board is apparantly fixed. Glad to be back!

-Dave